Palin mocks genetic research

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Palin mocks genetic research

Right at the end of the clip.  Words cannot describe my hatred.  Who wrote that speech?  Are they that willfully ignorant?  Research of that type is the very cornerstone of our understanding of genetics... I weep sometimes, I really do.

M

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Also, 18 billion dollars

Also, 18 billion dollars amounts to 0.6% of a 3 trillion dollar budget.  Are they just hoping that people will just say "Oooooooooooooh 18 billion is a lot of money"?

People of America, your country can and should give the world a great example.  Don't vote these asshats in.  I beg of you.

m

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
disrespectful fucking

disrespectful fucking WHORE.  somewhere out there, there is a very hard-working scientist trying to improve the quality of life on earth for everyone, and this ditzy, shit-eating, airheaded, goddamn BITCH is willing to make a joke at his expense and take away his funding because she's too fucking STUPID to understand what he's doing. 

i mean, let's imagine something.  let's back up forty years or so and put this cunt in washington then.  she goes on tv and makes some joke about a "pet project" that goes something like this: "some of these projects are just ridiculous!  x million dollars for researching WHEAT varieties in INDIA! (laughs)  well, gosh-golly-gee, that's just silly!"

BOOM

norman borlaug loses all funding and billions starve.

FUCK YOU, PALIN, YOU HEARTLESS, FASCIST COOZE.  FUCK YOU UP THE CORNHOLE WITH A RED-HOT IRON POKER.

(yes, i'm aware that a great deal of borlaug's funding came from the rockefeller foundation, but still, not all scientists are so blessed.  it illustrates my point.)

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
She's a total fucktard and

She's a total fucktard and not at all cut out to be next in line to most powerful person in the country.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sarah Palin wrote:...Things

Sarah Palin wrote:
...Things like *smirks* 'fruit fly research' in France *chuckles, shaking her head*; I kid you not!

...Amazing how easy it is for someone who thinks that the unifying theory behind biology is a hoax to laugh-off bleeding edge medical research, isn't it?

I wonder which is scarier - the fact that she mentioned it in such a way, or the fact that a room full of people laughed along with her.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Read thing article in the UK

Read thing article in the UK regarding that speech and they reckon its possible she is actually very clever and is deliberately pretending to be thick to get well the thick vote.

Anyone agree with this?

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote:Read thing

mrjonno wrote:

Read thing article in the UK regarding that speech and they reckon its possible she is actually very clever and is deliberately pretending to be thick to get well the thick vote.

Anyone agree with this?

no.  bush got the "thick vote" and 8 years of bush policy only give us evidence that he is, in fact, a fucking moron.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
She has a son with autism,

She has a son with autism, yet she is against genetic research. Genetically modified foods are the only reason that much of the world has anything to eat at all, yet she is against genetic research. This makes me sick. To bad I would slit my throat before voting for Obama.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:She has a

Jormungander wrote:

She has a son with autism, yet she is against genetic research. Genetically modified foods are the only reason that much of the world has anything to eat at all, yet she is against genetic research. This makes me sick. To bad I would slit my throat before voting for Obama.

Her son actually has Down's Syndrome, not autism.  

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Do you think sh's better

Do you think sh's better described as a "fucktard" or an "asshat? "

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:Her son

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

Odd, I though that Down's Syndrome was an autistic disorder. Is Down's Syndrome not a form of autism?

Matt: maybe she is a fuckhat or an asstard, you never know.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
No, downs syndrome is a

No, downs syndrome is a specific genetic disorder - people with it are nearly always mentally retarded but it's not at all related to autism. A feus can easily be diagnosed with it through simple genetic testing.

Maybe she's a fucktarded asshat twatwaffle? BTW Joe the Plumber is an asshat, too.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander

Jormungander wrote:

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

Odd, I though that Down's Syndrome was an autistic disorder. Is Down's Syndrome not a form of autism?

Matt: maybe she is a fuckhat or an asstard, you never know.

Nah, Down's is a trisomy of chromosome 21.  Autism is also a genetic disorder, but mutations all across the genome have been implicated in autistic symptoms.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
I thought that Down's

I thought that Down's Syndrome was a particular from of autism. There are other forms, and not all are genetic, but this one happens to be.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:I thought

Jormungander wrote:

I thought that Down's Syndrome was a particular from of autism. There are other forms, and not all are genetic, but this one happens to be.

Down's isn't autism.  Autism is effectively a subjective diagnosis based primarily upon a child's ability to form social relationships, while Downs presents with as many as a dozen quantifiable symptoms, many of which are purely physical traits like epicanthic skin folds around the eyes and poor muscle tone.  While people with autism can apparently have normal range IQs, most people with Downs are mentally retarded; conversely, most people with Downs are friendly and actively seek to develop relationships with others.

--Bertrand Russell

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:disrespectful

iwbiek wrote:

disrespectful fucking WHORE.  somewhere out there, there is a very hard-working scientist trying to improve the quality of life on earth for everyone, and this ditzy, shit-eating, airheaded, goddamn BITCH is willing to make a joke at his expense and take away his funding because she's too fucking STUPID to understand what he's doing. 

I so enjoyed this little rant, iwbiek, vicariously even, you captured my ire perfectly.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's my discipline! What

That's my discipline! What the fucking hell would you know, you fundangelical brain-dead vapid moron? Oh yes, fruit fly research, what a joke, except for the fact that Drosophila research has medical applications in pretty much every form imaginable.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Excuse my memory, but is

Excuse my memory, but is that really a representant of the political party which just wasted a several hundreds of milliards of dollars on unsuccesful reviving of the dead economic system, and wasted another 600 millards on capturing Saddam and warming his chair till this moment? In that moment, every patriotic Earthling must think...
"...Where's my gun?"

(btw, for those who doesn't speak European,
million   = 1, 000, 000                    (106)
milliard  = 1, 000, 000, 000            (109)
billion    = 1, 000, 000, 000, 000    (1012)
)

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Million is the same here,

Million is the same here, what you call milliard we call billion, what you call billion we call trillion.

LovE-RicH
LovE-RicH's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Million is

MattShizzle wrote:

Million is the same here, what you call milliard we call billion, what you call billion we call trillion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:iwbiek

Eloise wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

I so enjoyed this little rant, iwbiek, vicariously even, you captured my ire perfectly.

i aim to please, milady.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
...So here's a question:If

...So here's a question:

If this scientific research is a joke and a big waste of time and money, what other fields of study shares a similar status? Literacy, maybe? Astronomy and history almost certainly. Perhaps geology, quantum physics, relativity...

All that other 'junk' that uses big, complicated terms and isn't cute to talk about, in all likelyhood.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Million is

MattShizzle wrote:

well that all depends on where in Europeshire we are.  Over here in the UK we use the same definitions as the 'Merikans Eye-wink

KevinRBrown wrote:

All that other 'junk' that uses big, complicated terms and isn't cute to talk about, in all likelyhood.

Given what I've seen recently I assume it covers anything that "Real AmericansTM" aren't interested in.

PS Kevin - is your avatar the transformed version of the T-Rex we saw previously? 

M

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:(btw, for

Luminon wrote:

(btw, for those who doesn't speak European,
million   = 1, 000, 000                    (106)
milliard  = 1, 000, 000, 000            (109)
billion    = 1, 000, 000, 000, 000    (1012)
)

... what the fuck?

Get your milliard off my billion, and your billion off my trillion

Milliard

one thousand millions; equivalent to U.S. billion.

So much for math being universal

What Would Kharn Do?

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
The milliard is an obsolete

The milliard is an obsolete unit. Officially, Europe has adopted the short scale along with everyone else because it makes vastly more sense. A million is a thousand thousand. A billion is a thousand million. A trillion is a thousand billion. A quadrillion is a thousand trillion, etc. Since every country in the EU has adopted the SI unit system (which is French in origin anyway), they have also adopted the short scale, which is part of the SI system.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

kevin morton
kevin morton's picture
User is offlineOffline
yay that makes sence

OK do we all no what frut fly's are used for and why well why is very simple that have new genorations per day so the evolution can be viewed.. prof of evolution ms be eliminated by the republican party and all religions super evolution killing robots

p.s.

If you don't like my spelling plez spell check it fore me

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I just saw something that

I just saw something that said Alec Baldwin called her "Bible Spice. "

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
Forgive her, for she does

Forgive her, for she does not know what she's doing