Seeking Guidance.

Free_Thinker86
User is offlineOffline
Seeking Guidance.

Hello! I am new to this forum and, obviously, am an atheist. I am currently attending college here in Kansas City and I have been asked in my Comp class to write a 3-5 page essay about arguing a position.

Now, I already know that my topic is going to be on religion, especially when a fellow student blurted out in class the same day this paper was issued "you don't talk about religion." My problem is I'm not sure which subject to speak on and I've come up with a few Ideas and I wanted the opinion of like-minded individuals.

My choices are:

1. The questionable existence of Jesus Christ, and the evidence against such a man.

2. Refuting the so called irrefutable evidence for the existence of God, such as the Transcendental argument and Creationism/Design

3. The immorality of religion and the dangerous affects it has on society. A sorta of Compare and Contrast of highly religious nations vs. irreligious nations.

Any and all advice is welcome, also if you have any other ideas for a subject on this sort of paper they are welcome with open arms.

That being said, I have until November 10th to write this paper and I would also appreciate any good sources you could point out to help me in my research.

Thanks in advance!

Freethinker86

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:1. The questionable

Quote:
1. The questionable existence of Jesus Christ, and the evidence against such a man.

Big hornet's nest, very difficult research, very erudite and obscure references, and if you aren't an authority on any ancient languages, it's going to be hard for you to do anything but argue from authority.  I'd recommend against it, even though I agree that he probably never existed.

Quote:
2. Refuting the so called irrefutable evidence for the existence of God, such as the Transcendental argument and Creationism/Design

By far the easiest of the three topics.  I'd suggest starting out by reading all of Todangst's pages.  (On the left sidebar.)  A basic logic textbook will cement your argument.  Honestly, this one is such a no brainer that I don't know why they don't have all high school freshmen do it.  It would save the world a lot of trouble with brainwashed adults.

Quote:
3. The immorality of religion and the dangerous affects it has on society. A sorta of Compare and Contrast of highly religious nations vs. irreligious nations.

Tough one, but possible.  First thing you're going to have to do is define morality.  If you're not familiar with the evolutionary explanations of morality, you're going to be in over your head.  Do you know anything about Game Theory, reciprocal altruism, individual vs. group selection, or The Prisoner's Dilemma?  Have you read The Selfish Gene?  What about The Origins of Virtue?

The second thing you're going to have to do is demonstrate a clear link between societal religiosity and societal dysfunction.  This is relatively easy, but you need to be good with statistics or you're going to fuck up the correlations.

Finally, you will need to counter the argument that religion may have bad sides, but it also has good sides.  This is a little harder since the "good" it often cites is pretty hard to define.  Are you prepared to deal with this argument?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is a dangrous idea. You

This is a dangerous idea. You risk pissing off your lecturer and classmates.

You have a right to say this stuff but your audience has the right to hate you for it. These are people who will be assessing you or whose cooperation you will need for future assessments. It may not be the right time to fight this battle.

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

Freethinker86 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:1.

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Big hornet's nest, very difficult research, very erudite and obscure references, and if you aren't an authority on any ancient languages, it's going to be hard for you to do anything but argue from authority.  I'd recommend against it, even though I agree that he probably never existed.

Quote:

By far the easiest of the three topics.  I'd suggest starting out by reading all of Todangst's pages.  (On the left sidebar.)  A basic logic textbook will cement your argument.  Honestly, this one is such a no brainer that I don't know why they don't have all high school freshmen do it.  It would save the world a lot of trouble with brainwashed adults.

Quote:

Tough one, but possible.  First thing you're going to have to do is define morality.  If you're not familiar with the evolutionary explanations of morality, you're going to be in over your head.  Do you know anything about Game Theory, reciprocal altruism, individual vs. group selection, or The Prisoner's Dilemma?  Have you read The Selfish Gene?  What about The Origins of Virtue?

The second thing you're going to have to do is demonstrate a clear link between societal religiosity and societal dysfunction.  This is relatively easy, but you need to be good with statistics or you're going to fuck up the correlations.

Finally, you will need to counter the argument that religion may have bad sides, but it also has good sides.  This is a little harder since the "good" it often cites is pretty hard to define.  Are you prepared to deal with this argument?

Thank you for your input! I have to admit that I am largely ignorant of most of the information you have asked about in Idea #3, and understand your advice on Idea #1. Back to number 3, I know I would definitely be up to the challenge but due to the lack of knowledge I have at this time on such subject matter, and time constraints I believe I will be going with Idea number 2.

To ParanoidAgnostic I appreciate your concern and believe me I have though about these very things. I would not be writing this paper now if not for a few very important facts.

1. I could care less what lecturers and classmates think of me I'm here for my education not a popularity contest. That being said I've already had the backing of a couple of other students.

2. I'm fairly certain that my teacher holds atheistic views and he seems like the type of person that would appreciate a paper of this sort. I hold this view because he "preaches" with passion that we can write what ever we want to as long as it is well put together and makes an actual point. Oh he also was passionate about us not being able to use the Bible to "prove any point what so ever. No paper on how Obama is the antichrist, thats just crap" his words exactly.

3. The only people that will be reading this will be the teacher, my Girlfriend who understands my atheistic views and one other classmate.

So I feel overall safe in writing this paper Smiling

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome.I think your best

Welcome.

I think your best bet here is not to go in evolutionist guns blazing, but present a paper that deals with atheism in a slightly softer position, at least for now. If you are predominately surronded by theists, I would suggest doing something that deals with common mis-conceptions with atheism. Like others said, this is going to get people riled against you if you come off too strong and, 'I'm right, you're wrong.' (You probably are, but theists don't dig being told so)

So maybe think along those lines..cover some common arguements they probably think atheists can't answer..ask if you want links to some material

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
ParanoidAgnostic wrote:This

ParanoidAgnostic wrote:

You have a right to say this stuff but your audience has the right to hate you for it. These are people who will be assessing you or whose cooperation you will need for future assessments. It may not be the right time to fight this battle.

And I think Thomas Jefferson would bitch slap those assholes for being offended rather than look at it as an intelectuall challenge. AND HE WAS A DEIST.

It sucks that we are in such a minority that people react like that. BUT, in the past 7 years there HAVE been great strides in more and more people being open.

As far as your paper(to the op), maybe insted of focusing on the history of religion, pick something other than Christianity, don't focus on the history, but maybe write a paper on the claims in (say the Koran) that sound like magic and DONT match up to scientific reality. And juxtipose the two.

Then maybe in your closing summary, hint that, if this can happen in this religion, doesn't it stand to reason that this has happened in all cultures throughout history as a result of human nature?

In other words, when humans hit a gap, rather than wait and see and susspend judgment, they fill the gap with a pet whim.

Just an idea.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Free_Thinker86
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

ParanoidAgnostic wrote:

And I think Thomas Jefferson would bitch slap those assholes for being offended rather than look at it as an intelectuall challenge. AND HE WAS A DEIST.

It sucks that we are in such a minority that people react like that. BUT, in the past 7 years there HAVE been great strides in more and more people being open.

As far as your paper(to the op), maybe insted of focusing on the history of religion, pick something other than Christianity, don't focus on the history, but maybe write a paper on the claims in (say the Koran) that sound like magic and DONT match up to scientific reality. And juxtipose the two.

Then maybe in your closing summary, hint that, if this can happen in this religion, doesn't it stand to reason that this has happened in all cultures throughout history as a result of human nature?

In other words, when humans hit a gap, rather than wait and see and susspend judgment, they fill the gap with a pet whim.

Just an idea.

That is an interesting Idea! One worth looking into but sadly, due to time constraints and having to focus on other classes and not just his paper I have to stick with what I know. I've only read 1/3rd of the Koran and I know very little about their religion, suffice to say I know enough but not enough to write a convincing paper the way it should be. I know Christianity and I know some of the more basic and best arguments against it Smiling

Also, I find it kind of sad that people are asking me to keep this toned down. Why? not the right time for this kind of battle? Did Martin Luther King Jr. stop and think.."hmm, this is just not the right time for this kind of battle I think i'll wait another few years before I start my mission towards equality!"..HELL no.

Atheism is on the rise, in fact one of the fastest growing factions in America today! We outnumber the African American population according to a recent poll and that doesn't even count those that are on the fence and already leaning towards Atheism/Agnosticism. That being said the only time to fight is now, not later, but now. We have the strength to start standing up for ourselves I say its about time we do. Things don't change themselves. It takes people, and a whole lot of people, to make things change for better or worse. There can't be any "oh now is just not the right time" because the "right time" will never come as long as we don't start standing up for ourselves as a group. Is it dangerous? Yes, change is always dangerous for those who try to make it happen but it is sadly necessary for people of any group that want anything to get done to go through that danger. I am more then willing even if all I accomplish is for just one person to sit down and think "Hmm, I wonder" thats more then enough for me.