"religulous" opinions?

crosspolytope
User is offlineOffline
"religulous" opinions?

i just saw it. i enjoyed it. christians are funny. it isn't quite as radical as i am but i thought it was some pretty effective propaganda for our cause. the bit about horus and jesus was particularly interesting.

Schobeleth
User is offlineOffline
I haven't seen it but in all

I haven't seen it but in all honesty it's the type of movie I'd rather wait till it came out on DVD first or something, I don't want to sound like a wimpy atheist (as I am one of those ones that gets into frequent arguments with friends and family about it all) but whenever I go to the movies (which is rare now) it's usually for a big blockbuster hit that will make my head explode or something, as much as I wanted to see Religulous I also had to realize that no one else wanted to go see it with me hahahaha.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Schobeleth wrote:... as much

Schobeleth wrote:

... as much as I wanted to see Religulous I also had to realize that no one else wanted to go see it with me hahahaha.

You should see if a local secular group in your area is going... or use meetup.com to find one.  My group has gone twice already and a member currently organizing a third group outing to see the film.

Micheal ZK
Micheal ZK's picture
User is offlineOffline
I really wish it was playing

I really wish it was playing in green bay at all.  I forget how red my state is sometimes. 

Any book is a kids book if the kid can read.

nikimoto
nikimoto's picture
User is offlineOffline
My wife and I saw it here in

My wife and I saw it here in Dallas.

We enjoyed it  and it went by too fast so I guess we were really entertained.

We didn't learn much that we didn't already know but we laughed quite a bit. The whole audience clapped when it was over, which was great.

There were a couple of mistakes about Horus, I believe, in the presentation.

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
2/5 Stars

I'm probably one of the few atheists that didn't think it was that great of a movie.  The very begining and very end of the movie were great and I had kind of expected that the whole movie would have been similar to those two segments.

Whenever I view any video that is atheistic in nature I try to watch it from the theists point of view mostly as a thought experiment.  Try and see where they might object or where atheist get things just plain wrong (we aren't all perfect.)  I found this movie to be funny at many points but if I were a theist I would see this movie as a joke.  Maher just interviewed a bunch of crazy people and completely mangled the interviews in post-production.

I would much rather have seen a film where the interviews were taken serioulsy and he very easily dismantled every argument presented, while also showing how dangerous these beleifs can be.  It seemed that instead his plan was to just find as many crazy people as he could and make them look dumber than they already are and then make fun of them for it.  This movie could have been a lot better, I think Maher missed a great oppotunity to actually help the atheists cause.

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Even though my town is a

Even though my town is a tiny blue speck in a sea of red, I have my doubts that it'll show here.  I'm just not motivated enough to drive over an hour to see it.

I'll wait for the dvd.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Even

Hambydammit wrote:

Even though my town is a tiny blue speck in a sea of red, I have my doubts that it'll show here.  I'm just not motivated enough to drive over an hour to see it.

I'll wait for the dvd.

I wouldn't be surprised if it showed at Cine', actually.  They're showing a Werner Herzog documentary about Antarctica this weekend.  Religulous should at least match the audience for something like that.  Hell, if they pick the Georgia/Florida game weekend to show it, they'll probably do excellent business, given how few of the kids are around.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I wouldn't be

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if it showed at Cine', actually.

Well, keep your ears open.  Is it morally ok for a cat and an ape to go on a movie date?

Quote:
Hell, if they pick the Georgia/Florida game weekend to show it, they'll probably do excellent business, given how few of the kids are around.

Sorry, I'll be watching the Georgia-Florida game.  I'm a glutton for punishment.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:I

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if it showed at Cine', actually.

Well, keep your ears open.  Is it morally ok for a cat and an ape to go on a movie date?

Quote:
Hell, if they pick the Georgia/Florida game weekend to show it, they'll probably do excellent business, given how few of the kids are around.

Sorry, I'll be watching the Georgia-Florida game.  I'm a glutton for punishment.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be watching the game too.  Still, the town's damn near empty by about 6 PM on the Thursday before.  

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
It was fairly good. I'm

It was fairly good. I'm looking forward to the dvd in hopes that it'll include things from the cutting room floor.

As far as Bill oinly interviewing nuts. It may have been the only people stupid enough to talk with him about the great lie...

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
It looks funny, like the

It looks funny, like the kind of movie I'd see while relaxing and eating dinner. It doesn't look amazing or anything, but I'd see it for entertainment value.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

faithnomore
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Bible Belt

I would go see it if it was playing in my area.  Guess I have to wait on the dvd because I don't want to drive 2 1/2 hours to see it.  However, I did call our local cinemas and complain that they are showing a religous movie right now "Fireproof" and they would not show a movie that shows religion's absurdities.  I told them that they are being a little one-sided on this issue.  I doubt I accomplished anything but that made me feel a little bit better.

You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe. - Carl Sagan

Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion. - School Superintendent on "The Simpsons" episode #1

q1000101
User is offlineOffline
I just got back from

I just got back from watching this movie, and it's a damn good thing I did enjoy it or it would have made for a horrendous afternoon. The movie itself I found quite entertaining. Not hilariously funny (although some parts are) but a well-made documentary in which Bill poses real questions and only asks for honest answers in return. I don't think there was too much in the movie that I hadn't heard before, but it's very entertaining to hear different religious folks discussing this stuff in their own terms - and never coming up with completely satisfactory answers. And at the end Bill has a nice overall statement to sum things up: it is us that will destroy ourselves if anything, and not some all-powerful god.

I drove for an hour to get to the theater - it's only playing in one location around here - and then waited nearly another full hour of sitting through technical difficulties with the projection equipment before they finally started the film. There were three others in the early afternoon matinee when I sat down, and by the time the film started everyone else had left, so I got the entire theatre to myself. The cinema manager made his apologies and gave me a free admission to another movie, and yes I was stubborn enough to sit through 45 minutes of technical difficulties to watch this movie. If I hadn't drove all the way across town an hour each way just to see this movie, I might not have been as stubborn.

I could have just as easily waited for this to come out on DVD. I probably get out to the big screen maybe once or twice a year at most, so all in all this was a memorable and enjoyable experience. All's well that ends well, so they say.

Thank God I'm an atheist.

jz1120
Superfan
jz1120's picture
User is offlineOffline
The movie was awsome. Very

The movie was awsome. Very funny and interesting to watch. I really liked when he was talking to the guy who "converts" homosexuals. He claimed he was an "ex-homosexual and was married to an ex-lesbian....lmao. This sounded like a good Jerry Springer episode. Sad part was that this was not fiction...these were real people! There really are nuts like this guy out their trying to "cure" homosexuals. Anyway I recomend anyone who has a chance watch the movie!

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:I really liked when

Quote:
I really liked when he was talking to the guy who "converts" homosexuals. He claimed he was an "ex-homosexual and was married to an ex-lesbian....lmao.

From the "Made for TV Movie"

Bob: come on, baby... I can get it up... keep trying... keep trying...

Shirley: I'm trying, honey, but why did you want me to cut my hair so short... you know I'm over the butch thing...

Bob: Um.... it...um.... looks ... um..... anyway, keep sucking baby... 

Shirley: Maybe if you just went down on me once in a while, I could have one too... and why do you only get it up for me when we do it doggystyle?

Books about atheism

caseagainstfaith
Silver Member
caseagainstfaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
First post on this board in

First post on this board in a while...

I saw the movie.  Thought it was "okay".  Don't think what was said about Mithra was correct.  That Mithra was born on Dec 25 is, I believe, an atheist myth.  Some segments were boring, like the segment with his mother and sister.  But there were some good laughs here and there.  So, I guess it was okay.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
crosspolytope wrote:i just

crosspolytope wrote:

i just saw it. i enjoyed it. christians are funny. it isn't quite as radical as i am but i thought it was some pretty effective propaganda for our cause. the bit about horus and jesus was particularly interesting.

I just saw it. As a movie, eh...? My guess is he got the funding, put together the production crew, traveled to all the places he thought he would get some good matieral and it wasn't very good at all. So he pieced together the best of a bad lot of footage and added filler. He didn't get in any of the good one-liners that are his usual comedy shtick.

For the movie buff, you can play name the movie with all the 2-5 second clips he uses. I would also guess that has something to do with fair use. But if you don't try to guess a very few of them are the only laughs in the movie besides some footage from his old stand up routines. Perhaps my problems was expecting humor to be the venue of insights. It definitely was not.

The footage inside the Dome of the Rock was only the second I have seen. With all the believers saying there was a Jewish temple in the same place one would expect the ommission of mention of a rock inside the Jewish temple would be significant to them. But Maher didn't mention it.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
I saw it a while back. I

I saw it a while back. I thought it was very entertaining, as a person who has already made up his mind about religion.

But a theist watching the movie, and probably even a fence sitter, is not going to be very persuaded by its shenanigans. I've always said that, even though Bill Maher is fully capable of being funny, he seems incapable of delivering his humor without looking/sounding like a condescending cock-sucker. And that's coming from someone who doesn't even disagree with him. And so even though I liked it, I kinda feel like anyone going to see this movie who is a theist or who is up in the air will probably just see a documentary about the roadtrip of a condescending asshole.

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Bahana
atheist
Bahana's picture
User is offlineOffline
I thought most of the movie

I thought most of the movie was very well done. What I was disappointed in was where they tried to compare Jesus, to Osiris, and Mithra. To say Jesus wasn't really born on December 25th is not even a point since the gospels don't mention the exact date. Christians chose that date so they could have a celebration on the same day as the Winter Solstice. The pagan parallels are a bit overblown since many of them are not too strong. There are many badly researched books out there that have been condemned by credible scholars like Richard Carrier, and Bart Ehrman. I would like to have seen what would happen if Bill asked them to define what a god is. Most of the movie was very entertaining. Keep in mind, it is a comedy with social commentary thrown in.

RevOxley_501
RevOxley_501's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good film

I saw it recently, i say screw the theatrical version and buy the DVD, the extra features were the best part for me anyway.

Full review is:

http://ragingrev.com/2009/02/22/religulous/

I still hold to Maher being slighly slanted when it comes to Judaism...he makes no mention of it outside of the anti-zionist Rabbi he interviews. It just seems to focus on Christianity and Islam...ignoring the root of both religions all together

mandescience
User is offlineOffline
It was a comical way of

It was a comical way of telling americans, and others, to start thinking about what they believe. the arguments maher presented weren't anything new, however hopefully it will encourage more critique of religious dogma.

“I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse.”

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."