Roadside Memorials

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Roadside Memorials

Have you seen them? The homemade wooden crosses with flowers and stuffed animals; sometimes when new, the all-distracting balloons?

I understand the need by some to mark the spot where their loved one lost life in a vehicle accident but a few things pop into my head.

-Why do I have to see it? Is it to 'shock' me into slowing down? Probably not

- I have seen locations where one cross stands and then a few weeks later 2 crosses....then within a few months several crosses...now I haven't pulled over to read 'who' the crosses are for but if they are for different people, when will the county/city step up and re-evaluate the area for safety?

-Why do those who lost a loved one want to be reminded over and over of the location?

Hmmm...the conversation among friends..."oh, the memorial is on the corner of rte 5 and old county road...drive by and see" Why do people want to do this? I remember losing a friend to a motorcycle accident and the group wanting to memorialize him with a 5 foot cross. I was like "are we trying to cause another accident?" Needless to say they erected the cross (this was some 20 years ago, 'rules' on this have changed) but I never drove out to see it. I know to this day the city and the road and the tree he hit and if I wanted to go 're-live' it...I wouldn't need a marker on the side of the road to do so. Let alone think fondly of him and all the memories of him.

Anyway, all of this for an article I found regarding roadside memorials:

Wyoming to tear down roadside memorials

I find what they are doing acceptable in the way that they are catering to not just one specific religious belief. However, when is enough ... enough? While driving 100 years from now, will we have a landscape of markers on the road to indicate where someone died? Kind of like a network of roadway cemeteries...

JoeyJoJoJr
JoeyJoJoJr's picture
User is offlineOffline
I find them annoying and

I find them annoying and distracting.  People who construct them should be cited for littering.  I'm old enough to remember when grieving (and ones religious beliefs) were private matters.  What's next?  Are people going to start renting ad space on roadside billboards announcing that this is the spot that their loved one died? 

WWSD - What Would Scooby Doo?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
One thing is you often see

One thing is you often see more than 1 at a particularly dangerous intersection (a few around here) thus making future accidents and deaths there even more likely.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
A friend of mine drowned off

A friend of mine drowned off the coast of Florida earlier this year.  Maybe I should get him a buoy.  That's how you spell it, right?

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't mind them,

I don't mind them, personally. People like to mark the deceased.

In Edmonton, the week after this little girl was mowed-down by accident on a city street, people just built-up this huge pile of balloons and stuffed animals on the curb; I'm not sure the family had too much to do with it (...thoguh I admit, while it made me kind of happy to see - I'm not sure why - riding by it on the bus each day, I'm not sure it was beneficial to the parents. A mountain of balloons and teddy bears isn't a replacement for a daughter, I wouldn't think).

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:A friend

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

A friend of mine drowned off the coast of Florida earlier this year.  Maybe I should get him a buoy.  That's how you spell it, right?

The hospitals would have 10's of thousands of markers on the walls, in the hallways, and in the operating rooms.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Even if the roadside

Even if the roadside memorials were gone you still have the people that get the names of their loved ones along with birthdate and deathdate painted on the rear windows of their vehicles.

There was a kid a couple of years ago who was riding with four(4) friends in the front of a small pickup truck. The police turned on the lights to pull them over and they gunned it. The cops chased. The truck hit a ditch and one kid was thrown from the vehicle. The pursuing police officer did not see him due to the dust and WHAM! roadkill.

Now, on vehicles I see "In memory... Paxton Farris" on many vehicles.

A southern celebration of stupidity. Apparently, it is okay to honor the dead by putting their name on a car. Quite apropos.

One wonders that perhaps if this teenager were so well-loved then why would he and his friends run from the cops??? Mom thinks he must have slipped out after curfew. Gee, Mom, where were you?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
If they're really that much

If they're really that much of a distraction, then you should probably surrender your driver's license. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
They took mine due to my

They took mine due to my health 8 years ago. As far as the state of Pennsylvania is concenred, I am in way too poor of health to be able to drive.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Personally hate them

I have never liked them, so freaking morbid, celebrate the life not the death, and trust me if there is a soul I highly doubt the person is gonna hang around where they died, some of them get so damn elabrate, with statues of saints and crap that really isn't needed at all. spend the money on charity or something far better.

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:Now, on

darth_josh wrote:

Now, on vehicles I see "In memory... Paxton Farris" on many vehicles.

A southern celebration of stupidity. Apparently, it is okay to honor the dead by putting their name on a car. Quite apropos.

Amazing! I was thinking about that as I was reading the op. When I lived in New Mexico I saw this kind of thing all the time! A guy driving around in a 1987 ford taurus with an in loving memory of someone decal on the back window. I laughed about that all the time. people find the ugliest piece of shit car to honor the deaths of there loved ones. I dont know maybe Its something I just dont get. I personally wouldnt put the name of someone I loved on my piece of shit car that im $4000.00 upside down on the loan. Never quite got this trend.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I find almost every type of

I find almost every type of death ritual we participate in to be frivolous and foolish on some level. This is merely one of millions.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:If they're really

jmm wrote:

If they're really that much of a distraction, then you should probably surrender your driver's license. 

I'm sorry. Did I say it was a fucking distraction?

Did you see anywhere in my post the word 'distraction'?

Two speeding tickets in 20+ years of driving(43 in a 30 - 1995. 77 in a 55 - 2002). Hit from behind twice by middle-aged redheads with jesus fishes and ribbon stickers decorating their SUV's. No at-fault accidents despite avoiding the inordinate number of drivers closing their eyes and praying to god while in traffic.

You're welcome.

Signed,

darth_josh, League of Socially Responsible Safe Atheist Drivers With Up-to-date Licenses, Plates, and Full Coverage Auto Insurance Including Uninsured Motorist Coverage.

jmm,

Do you have an opinion on roadside memorials or dead teen customized windows?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Auto-memorials

I have been seeing those up in Canada as well, shit hate those ones as well, really you want to honor their memory, DO something in their honor or memory, volunteer your time, give to charity do something other than tell me when they died, like I give a shit, people die all the freaking time.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh

darth_josh wrote:
****Rant****

Have I mentioned that I'm glad you're back?

Anyway, I have approximately the same opinion of roadside memorials as I do funerals.  I recognize and understand the need for humans to remember their dead, celebrate their life, mourn their passing, etc.  As a concept, I'm ok with it.  In practice, however, the roadside things feel preachy to me.  I know this kind of thinking because I used to do it when I was a teenager.  The idea is that somebody will see the cross, and the spirit of god will convict him, and he'll instantly repent.  It'll be a life changing moment, and it will give so-and-so's death new meaning.  God will have worked a miracle through tragedy.

I agree that they're just another distraction, and honestly, anyone who is seeing their first roadside cross.... well...  I just don't know what to say about it.  They've lost their shock value because they're fucking ubiquitous.  Aren't these people buried somewhere?  Can't you just go to the cemetery?

I also think there's a certain Jerry Springer effect with roadside memorials.  In the age of reality TV, many Americans suffer under the delusion that their lives are interesting to other people.  They feel like they "owe it to the world" to let them know, even in some small way, the story of Joe Schmoe who was tragically killed while on his way home to his wife and three kids.

Tragic, yes.  Interesting, no.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:jmm

darth_josh wrote:

jmm wrote:

I'm sorry. Did I say it was a fucking distraction?

Did you see anywhere in my post the word 'distraction'?

Two speeding tickets in 20+ years of driving(43 in a 30 - 1995. 77 in a 55 - 2002). Hit from behind twice by middle-aged redheads with jesus fishes and ribbon stickers decorating their SUV's. No at-fault accidents despite avoiding the inordinate number of drivers closing their eyes and praying to god while in traffic.

You're welcome.

Signed,

darth_josh, League of Socially Responsible Safe Atheist Drivers With Up-to-date Licenses, Plates, and Full Coverage Auto Insurance Including Uninsured Motorist Coverage.

jmm,

Do you have an opinion on roadside memorials or dead teen customized windows?

I'm sorry Josh, my post wasn't directed toward you, but rather toward the general sentiment expressed in the first few posts that roadside memorials are distracting and potentially deadly.  Sorry for the confusion. 

But yeah, people put them up around here quite a bit.  In a sense I find them to be gaudy, tacky, and in poor taste, but definitely not distracting.  But in another sense I understand them and am even fascinated by them. 

I hail from a pretty morbid part of the country, so I've grown up with the concept of hyper-memorialization.  A common "trope" around here (for lack of a better term--sorry, I know it sounds insensitive) is the young person, usually a male, full of life and so much potential, tragically snuffed from life via a horrific car accident.  Now this phenomenon is widespread for a few reasons, but the main reason, in my view, is geographical--my hometown is located in an extremely remote mountainous region, so the roads are at best difficult to navigate.  Get a wild-and-wolly 16-year old out on these concrete serpentines, and under the right conditions, it's going to be deadly. 

Alcohol and/or drugs are usually involved too.  An old friend of mine just died in a car accident last year--with a nostrilful of cocaine at ~120 per.  Hit a floodwall head on.  Some have even suggested that it was suicide, given that he hit the wall so squarely. 

But yeah, the Generation Xer in me makes me rolls my eyes at these idiotic memorials.  I mean, they usually end up looking like something from Mardi Gras or Festivale.  These crosses decorated with flowers, garland, tassles, and all sorts of bull shit.  There are four out on the interstate that remind me of Elvis with outstretched arms (tassles hanging down and all). 

But I also get it.  Like I said before, I come from a very remote and impoverished region of the country, and we're not the most educated lot either.  I mean, some of us are (the fortunate ones), but for the most part people just aren't.  An alarming percentage of people don't even come close to finishing high school.  So as a result, folks around here deal with everything in a far more primitive way than in most other regions.  But I don't think this makes us inherently stupid or worthless--it just means that we have a different way of dealing with joy and grief. 

It's definitely not across the board, though.  My uncle on my mother's side died in childhood (aged 5) back in the 1950s.  I only remember seeing one photo of him, and it was stored away in a closet.  And the thing is, he didn't even have a tomb stone until last year.  For 50 years, his grave was marked by a medium sized rock.  My maternal grandfather, growing ever closer to his own death, wanted to remember his old boy mainly because he didn't want to be forgotten. 

But on the other hand, my aunt on my father's side died as a teenager (aged 17) back in the early 1970s.  it was a classic example like I mentioned before--she was at a church picnic one sunday at the local football field, and a car full of young, drunk boys veered off the road and into the crowd.  Her torso was ran over, my uncle's leg was ran over, and my uncle's friend's neck was ran over.  So 2/3 of my grandparents' immediate family was mowed down before their very eyes in a matter of a few seconds.  My uncle and his friend lived (though with horrific injuries), but my aunt died of shock in the hospital later that day. 

The driver spent 90 days in jail, and has been a free man for 35 years--or arguably for all but 90 days of his 50+ year life. 

They immediately bought her a huge tomb stone and had her buried beside this massive statue of Jesus.  Every year on the Sunday closest to her death, they go out to the cemetery and decorate her grave.  The only photograph left of her is my grandmother's prized possession.  4 years after the accident, our town suffered massive flooding, and because that photo was the only one hanging high on the wall, the hundreds of photos of her were destroyed.  This caused my grandmother to go mad, further fueling her need to memorialize her daughter's death.  She hasn't driven a car since the accident, and has barely left her house since the flood (though with medication she's doing much better these days). 

All that to say:  yes, they're gaudy and in poor taste, but I get it, and I certainly don't find them distracting. 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  I have a normal respect

I have a normal respect for the dead but the roadside crosses really annoy me.  Leave the crosses in the fucking grave yard.   I'd like to jump into one of those big highway department wing mower tractors and just mow the shit out of their stupid "memorials"....

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've removed a dozen or so...

I've removed a dozen or so...