Are you afraid?

Heathensrule
Superfan
Heathensrule's picture
User is offlineOffline
Are you afraid?

I am an "out" Atheist.  My parents and siblings know that I deny the existence of the holy spirit and or any god/s.  I live in what I like to call the Bible Belt of Southern California the south Inland Empire.  If you want to see it exactly where it is look on any of the map engines and see Temecula.  I grew up in Orange County (Newport Beach) which is a ridiculously affluent community so most of the people there are conservative.  There was a huge Catholic church and a Synagogue directly across the street from my High School.  I know that a lot of my school mates went to church and there were a lot of Jews too.  There wasn't this overt I'm a Christian thing going then like there is now.  Sure, there were a few doves and hollow fishes on the back of peoples cars but compared to now and compared to here I feel like I am surrounded by "them".  It seems like literally, every other car, has an I go to this church or NOTW(Not of This World) Jesus this or Jesus that.  It sickens me.  What ever happened to just being a Christian. 

More to my point of the title of this post.  I have an American Atheist sticker on the back of my car.  You know the one that is the Atom with the 'A' in the middle of it.  I doubt most of the numb skulls driving around here have a clue what it means.   I said in the previous paragraph what ever happened to just being a Christian, I could apply that to myself and say why can't I just be an Atheist.  Well.....  I figure if the Christians can go around spreading "love and peace" (more like hatred and bigotry) I can demonstrate my lack of faith and be proud of my Atheism. 

I notice members here wear the RRS shirts.  Do you wear them in public?  What else do you do to be overtly Atheist?

I feel like if I where to go around town with more than what I have now, I might become a target of some kind.  This might be slight paranoia but there are some looney Christians and other radical sects here in the Inland Empire.  If I had a blatant Atheist sticker on my car I would be afraid that it would get keyed or something.  Not like a real Christian would ever do something like that.  I'm more worried about the average Christian who does whatever they want knowing that they are really "sinners" and all they need to do is repent and they are "forgiven", Christians.  The Christian, or a pack of them, who would pick a fight with me because I was wearing an Atheist T-shirt.  They exist here.  I almost equate it to gay bigotry, it would be like Atheist bashing!

So my question is.......  Is anyone afraid of public retaliation for being an out Atheist? 

Or, am I just being a pussy?

Heathensrule!

I deny the existence of the Holy Spirit!

Phantasm
User is offlineOffline
Atheists can walk freely and

Atheists can walk freely and openly in Canada, then again, so can homosexuals ( for the most part, bigots are everywhere afterall).

Canada is very much a secular nation as religion is not discussed in public.

Canada also has a crystal clear seperation of Church and State.

Most Canadians wouldn't give a damn if someone announced that they were an Atheist.

I actually only know one evangelical Christian and although he is open about his faith, he acts the same around "other" Christians as he does around Atheists.

Being afraid to come out against a belief in God, I think it's mainly an American and Iranian thing!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Phantasm wrote:Atheists can

Phantasm wrote:
Atheists can walk freely and openly in Canada, then again, so can homosexuals ( for the most part, bigots are everywhere afterall). Canada is very much a secular nation as religion is not discussed in public. Canada also has a crystal clear seperation of Church and State. Most Canadians wouldn't give a damn if someone announced that they were an Atheist. I actually only know one evangelical Christian and although he is open about his faith, he acts the same around "other" Christians as he does around Atheists. Being afraid to come out against a belief in God, I think it's mainly an American and Iranian thing!

Actually, the US has a better seperation of church and state. We just act on our lack of laws better than they act on their actual laws. Go figure.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here is the thing. Back when

Here is the thing. Back when Spike Lee's movie "Malcom X" came out it was popular to wear the black hat with the white X on it. BUT most of the people who wore it missed the message of the movie, and so did many whites.

If both whites and blacks had paid attention to the END of the movie, "Malcom X" realized just before he was murdered, that humanity was in it all together.

DO not assume that I am suggesting pollitical correctness. Anyone who has known me for any good period knows I don't mince words, and am unafraid of "calling them as I see them".

My point is, I think it is great when more atheists are "out". BUT, if they are merely saying it because it sounds "radical" and they don't really know why they reject a claim, those are the types of ignorant atheists we don't need.  Anymore than a Christian apologist would want a weekend worshiper who has never read the bible or studied religious history trying to make their case.

YES, be open, but educate yourself so that when you are confronted your answer isn't crybaby babble that sounds like, "You hate Santa".

There is more to rejecting any claim on any issue than merely saying, "That doesn't make sense". You have to educate yourself as to WHY it doesn't.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not afraid at all.  I

I'm not afraid at all.  I mean, I walk around town all gay-like, holding my man's hand (or arm if I feel too tired to move forward without some help) and I'm never afraid.  Really, there's never been a reason for me to feel afraid of being who I am in public and my atheism isn't something that's going to spark that fear, especially if I can go out and be all gay-like without fear. (No that I flame or anything... holding hands is not flamming.)  We'll see how I feel after I visit the States next month.  I'm heading to Florida for a week or so, so should I feel afraid to be who I am in public, I'll let you know.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'd hesitate to wear one

I'd hesitate to wear one anywhere with a lot of people, other than one most people wouldn't get like the FSM shirt. Of course you'd have to be near-suicidal to wear, for example, a t shirt with the Jesus_Fucking_Christ image on it in the rural deep south.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Heathensrule
Superfan
Heathensrule's picture
User is offlineOffline
Really? Brian37

Are you implying that I cannot carry my intellectual weight?  It also seems that you are insinuating that I am jumping on some sort of Atheist bandwagon.  You don't know me, I have only posted here a few times.  How could you possibly know what I am capable of as far as a theological debate is concerned?  I don't think Atheism is a "radical" thing to do, just for fun, because it seems like it is the new thing.

"YES, be open, but educate yourself so that when you are confronted your answer isn't crybaby babble that sounds like, "You hate Santa"."  

PLEASE!  I take a little offense to this.  You have no idea how educated I am on any issue.  You are guilty of contempt prior to investigation.  You didn't even answer my question.  You "call them as you see them"?

Heathensrule!

I deny the existence of the Holy Spirit!

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
He was making the statements

He was making the statements generally, not specifically to you.  At least, I don't think he was.  He said it's great when atheists come out, with the caveat that they are not 'atheist is the new goth'.  I'm sure you'll have plenty of chances to prove it here, not that you even need to.  You're not 12.  Just take a shot at caposkia or some other nutty theist regular or eat some babies.  Brian usually responds very well to people who eat babies. 

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I tried to answer this OP a

I tried to answer this OP a couple of times, but ended up twisting my own responses into knots. The short answer is no, I am not afraid. Though I see potential for fear, should certain things change.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Brian usually

Thomathy wrote:

Brian usually responds very well to people who eat babies. 

True. But aborted foetuses are much more tender. You can cook them up with Buffalo sauce and serve them as wings at your next party!

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
No fear here

I have never had the fear of saying I do not believe in god...heck I have been saying it since I was 12, athough I never believed for most of my life (hey I was a wee lad at one point and believed in Santa and the tooth fairy leave me alone now Sticking out tongue). However I don't care what most people think of me in the first place, I call it as I see it, I call people stupid or morons to their faces if their arguments are stupid or moronic....oh venomfangx arguments....MORONIC ON EPIC LEVELS, and I MEAN EPIC!!!!. I however will not simply rag on someone just because they believe. If it is kept to themselves, then that's fine with me, just don't start telling me how to live my life or that I  am not TRUELY happy....which is a load of shit because for the most part I am far far more happier than my religious friends mainly because I accept myself for who I am, and know myself very well.