Thiesm

bossman103
Theist
Posts: 16
Joined: 2008-10-10
User is offlineOffline
Thiesm

I am quite religious, I don't go religiously to church but I have thought about going again. I have recently become religious again due to persoanl reasons. I think that athiesm or indeed thiesm is personal choice and does not make somebody irrational or illogical.  I think its us as human beings that lend ourselves to ilrrationality o illogic , now could I  in a coherent and logical way describe why I believe yes I could but it would not serve any purpose and get me claassified as a man of irrationality, now do I want athiests to believe no, do I think that I should habve right to believe yes, and have the right to say what I believe is rubbish but what you don't have the right is to question my morals, my logic or my rationality, those are blanket statements made by ignorant people who complain when religious people do it to thwem well then don't do it.


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
What do you believe bossman,

What do you believe bossman, and is it dangerous, as does it support dangerous irrationalism? Is being a religious moderate, instead of saying no to idol worship, a good stance?


Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
Posts: 592
Joined: 2007-04-11
User is offlineOffline
I have the right to question

I have the right to question every single argument you present.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.


darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
Posts: 2650
Joined: 2006-02-27
User is offlineOffline
Is it that you wish to go to

Is it that you wish to go to church for the alleged comfort provided by the belief itself?

Certainly we would read your coherent and logical description concerning why you believe. Please favor us with it. No doubt we could all benefit from a good discussion.

No one wants to take away your right to believe. However, if the belief causes you to do something illegal then all of your other rights are forfeit.

If you read our allegations concerning what is irrational then I'm sure you will see that we typically attack the belief and not the believers unless they attack first.

A favorite saying around here is "Hate the -ism, not the -ist."

 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.


bossman103
Theist
Posts: 16
Joined: 2008-10-10
User is offlineOffline
My beliefs

I belief that youn should hate people for having different beliefs or thoughts from you, I believe in love and peace, I abelieve that accpeting people having different opinon  from me is the only way forward,. I believe athiest and thiest need to find  a compromise otherwise something terrible may happen,  I believe that homosexuality is not a sin it is a perosnal choice, I believe that abortion is not a sin but I disagree with a abortion when it is a developed or developing faetus as I see that when  a baby achieves  concousness, I am against euthanasia. I believe I am entitled to my beliefs you are entitled to yours, I believe that even if you are a scientologist you are entitled to your belief it is up to you, I believe that christianity can sometimes be its own worst enemy and that Jesus would be upset if he saw what is being done in his name, I believe that Jesus would embrace athiests in heaven if it exists as he would say they were taking evidence and coming to a logical conclusion. I believe that purgatory is a place for people who have not paid penance for a crime committed on earth, I don't believe in hell as a ppunishment as I feel all huimans belong in heaven in the end and it is whatever you want it to be.


Steven
Bronze Member
Posts: 35
Joined: 2007-08-31
User is offlineOffline
bossman103 wrote:I belief

bossman103 wrote:

I belief that youn should hate people for having different beliefs or thoughts from you, I believe in love and peace, I abelieve that accpeting people having different opinon  from me is the only way forward,. I believe athiest and thiest need to find  a compromise otherwise something terrible may happen,  I believe that homosexuality is not a sin it is a perosnal choice, I believe that abortion is not a sin but I disagree with a abortion when it is a developed or developing faetus as I see that when  a baby achieves  concousness, I am against euthanasia. I believe I am entitled to my beliefs you are entitled to yours, I believe that even if you are a scientologist you are entitled to your belief it is up to you, I believe that christianity can sometimes be its own worst enemy and that Jesus would be upset if he saw what is being done in his name, I believe that Jesus would embrace athiests in heaven if it exists as he would say they were taking evidence and coming to a logical conclusion. I believe that purgatory is a place for people who have not paid penance for a crime committed on earth, I don't believe in hell as a ppunishment as I feel all huimans belong in heaven in the end and it is whatever you want it to be.

While Scientology's belief system itself is rather comical, that is hardly why the organization comes under fire.  I would strongly suggest looking into their practices, www.xenu.net is a wonderful resource for information. 

 

Imagine if you will, leaving the church you belong to and having everyone within that organization, including family and friends, act as if you no longer exist (I recognize that this does infact happen in every religion).  As if this were not enough, imagine these people avidly pursuing your personal destruction via whatever means they can.  If you dare speak out publicly against them they will go to the extremes of breaking into your home, stealing personal information however necessary, calling your employer and spreading vicous rumors/lies.  This would be just a very minimal explanation of what happens when you leave.  What happens while you are there is much more appalling.  Scientology is in a completely different league than Christianity, as it's pretty safe to define it as being a cult and not a religion.

The more people that know the truth about Scientology the better.  Don't let them, or yourself for that matter, put themselves in the same category as typical religions.  It is quite a different animal.

I'll let others address the rest of your post(s).


FFR
FFR's picture
Posts: 6
Joined: 2008-09-28
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I have recently become

Quote:
I have recently become religious again due to persoanl reasons. I think that athiesm or indeed thiesm is personal choice and does not make somebody irrational or illogical.


Are you saying theism can’t both be a personal choice and irrational? Actually your saying you became religious again for personal reasons is a pretty good indication you’ve become religious again for less than rational reasons - unless the personal reason happens to be you personally met God.

Quote:
I think its us as human beings that lend ourselves to ilrrationality o illogic , now could I  in a coherent and logical way describe why I believe yes I could but it would not serve any purpose and get me claassified as a man of irrationality,


Okay, so first you say that the personal choice of theism doesn’t make you irrational, then you all but admit you cannot argue for your beliefs in a way that people will conclude other than you’re being irrational - even though you also say you can be coherent and logical in doing so.

That’s very contradictory..

 
Quote:
now do I want athiests to believe no, do I think that I should habve right to believe yes, and have the right to say what I believe is rubbish but what you don't have the right is to question my morals, my logic or my rationality, those are blanket statements made by ignorant people who complain when religious people do it to thwem well then don't do it.


The justification for blanket statement concerning theists being irrational lies in the fact that no theist ever has provided a rational reason for belief. Do I know that you’re not a special case? Do I know that you’re not the first person, so far as I know of, to have constructed a rational justification for belief? No, I don’t know that, but until you show that you’re the sole exception to the rule provided by every other theist, then I think I’m on safe ground in assuming your belief is irrational.
 


pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
Posts: 2517
Joined: 2008-02-26
User is offlineOffline
bossman103 wrote:I am quite

bossman103 wrote:

I am quite religious, I don't go religiously to church but I have thought about going again. I have recently become religious again due to persoanl reasons. I think that athiesm or indeed thiesm is personal choice and does not make somebody irrational or illogical.  I think its us as human beings that lend ourselves to ilrrationality o illogic , now could I  in a coherent and logical way describe why I believe yes I could but it would not serve any purpose and get me claassified as a man of irrationality, now do I want athiests to believe no, do I think that I should habve right to believe yes, and have the right to say what I believe is rubbish but what you don't have the right is to question my morals, my logic or my rationality, those are blanket statements made by ignorant people who complain when religious people do it to thwem well then don't do it.

You are quite welcome to believe anything that you'd like to get through your life as it's yours to do with as you'd like. Whether you are irrational in general or just irrational regarding theism is another story. Theism is based on no evidence and acceptance of ideas on faith only. You believe in the hope that several thousand year old beliefs from ancients seething in mythological origins has some basis in reality while science shows otherwise. You are of course welcome to do this.

bossman103 wrote:

 

My beliefs

I belief that youn should hate people for having different beliefs or thoughts from you, I believe in love and peace, I abelieve that accpeting people having different opinon  from me is the only way forward,. I believe athiest and thiest need to find  a compromise otherwise something terrible may happen,  I believe that homosexuality is not a sin it is a perosnal choice, I believe that abortion is not a sin but I disagree with a abortion when it is a developed or developing faetus as I see that when  a baby achieves  concousness, I am against euthanasia. I believe I am entitled to my beliefs you are entitled to yours, I believe that even if you are a scientologist you are entitled to your belief it is up to you, I believe that christianity can sometimes be its own worst enemy and that Jesus would be upset if he saw what is being done in his name, I believe that Jesus would embrace athiests in heaven if it exists as he would say they were taking evidence and coming to a logical conclusion. I believe that purgatory is a place for people who have not paid penance for a crime committed on earth, I don't believe in hell as a ppunishment as I feel all huimans belong in heaven in the end and it is whatever you want it to be.

Believe whatever you'd like and it's good that you realize that your beliefs have no reason to become part of the law of the land.

Every person has a right to determine the fate of their own life and that would include euthanasia or suicide.

As to whether there is a heaven, hell, or purgatory no one has presented evidence that such concepts exist nor has anyone ever other than in ancient stories returned from the dead to provide testimony and proof. I agree with you that the Jesus of the Gospels would not support the Paulinity practiced as the lessons he promoted. Jesus was a Jew and Paulinity is a complete departure from the teaching of Jesus. This is not to say I even agree Jesus was a real person, I don't know if he was and the proof is minimal if not completely obscure.

 

____________________________________________________________
"I guess it's time to ask if you live under high voltage power transmission lines which have been shown to cause stimulation of the fantasy centers of the brain due to electromagnetic waves?" - Me

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
A favorite saying around

A favorite saying around here [at RRS] is "Hate the -ism, not the -ist." ~ darth_josh

  I like that ....

 Hey bossman , I am jesus, I am god, all is one. My favorite religion parable is thermodynamics, and the ancient story character atheistic buddha jesus said so as well. Saul Paul was a wild clever idol worshiper inventor. Ever read the bible?


darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
Posts: 2650
Joined: 2006-02-27
User is offlineOffline
Take your time when

Take your time when communicating. Show us how much you care about your views by putting them into logical structure.

bossman103 wrote:
I belief that youn should hate people for having different beliefs or thoughts from you, I believe in love and peace, I abelieve that accpeting people having different opinon  from me is the only way forward,.

I certainly agree, but not on the same basis. If we break it into 'atheist vs. theist' then can you tell me which side has been the one that has been forcing its belief system upon the other?

You came here to assert your position and we have welcomed your participation.

bossman103 wrote:
I believe athiest and thiest need to find  a compromise otherwise something terrible may happen,

The 'sides' of this believer vs. nonbeliever debate have been at this discussion for a very long time. 

Compromises have been tried by both sides. For examples, Stephen Gould's NOMA, The catholic churches recognition of Galileo's contributions, and your very own assertion that you were away from church-going for a while.

Unfortunately, each has failed to bring about any measure of tolerance between the two sides. The church invades secular life on a regular basis.

Quote:
I believe that homosexuality is not a sin it is a perosnal choice,

What if I were to tell you that sexuality has been shown to be genetically determined?

bossman103 wrote:
I believe that abortion is not a sin but I disagree with a abortion when it is a developed or developing faetus as I see that when  a baby achieves  concousness,

There are many many atheists whom share this point of view with you. It seems separate to the issue of belief in god nowadays for most people.

bossman103 wrote:
I am against euthanasia.

In every instance? What about Terry Schiavo? What about ol' yeller? I'm sure that you can think of some times where ending suffering trumps this assertion.

bossman103 wrote:
I believe I am entitled to my beliefs you are entitled to yours, I believe that even if you are a scientologist you are entitled to your belief it is up to you,

Sure. Until someone's belief infringes upon the rights of others. Should my tax dollars be used to decorate public structures with idols representing your faith?

bossman103 wrote:
I believe that christianity can sometimes be its own worst enemy

Yes. I think that points toward what we say about christianity. One would think that it would be gone from self-mutilation by now. Except for the adherents of the ideology, the premises of christianity are dead because they were false.

bossman103 wrote:
and that Jesus would be upset if he saw what is being done in his name, I believe that Jesus would embrace athiests in heaven if it exists as he would say they were taking evidence and coming to a logical conclusion.

Well, that's very nice of you to say.

However, every description of the alleged heaven that has been presented to me has had some major flaw in the logic behind it.

Also, I think you can see that this particular belief of yours might be even more difficult to swallow than the going story of eternal reward.

bossman103 wrote:
I believe that purgatory is a place for people who have not paid penance for a crime committed on earth,

How would they right the wrong against the person if they were in purgatory separated from the wronged individual?

Quote:
I don't believe in hell as a ppunishment as I feel all huimans belong in heaven in the end and it is whatever you want it to be.

Well, I'm 50% with you. I don't believe in a hell either.

 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.


magilum
Posts: 2410
Joined: 2007-03-07
User is offlineOffline
Whether something is a

Whether something is a personal choice doesn't remove it from the framework of logic and empiricism, if it makes claims about the real world. To defend a claim by withdrawing from the arena where claims are evaluated doesn't look good for said claim.


bossman103
Theist
Posts: 16
Joined: 2008-10-10
User is offlineOffline
Reply

Look I just don't believe tht suicide is the answer to anything, watch its a wonderful life, that is a film which tells you you are important no matter how small and irrelevant you think you are, suicide is the worst thing you can do because the family blames themselves instead of been able to say goodbye when the persona is alive and coming to terms with their death, I am sorry if I am not the most linear of writers I have mild dyspraxia so it is a little difficult for me. I do agree that sme people have done some horrible things in the name of christ and in the name of the prophet that is not their fault it is the fault of the teachers. If you teach people that their belief is better than all other beliefs then yyou will leave people no other choice than to try and convert their opponents. I don't have anything aginst athiesm as I believe in turning the other cheek and beng meek, if they want to challenge me then fair enough I won't shy away from a challenge but to me, I think that athiesm is a good idea jhjust it annoys me when I called stupid illogical or irrational and you don't even know me, thats what annoys you make a lot of assuptions about people without personally meeting them, you would not do this to race, disability or sexaulilty but you can do it about religion is seems very hypocritical to me as some athiests will not like if I made a blanket statementabout them, I am a human being that by definition makes me irrational and illogical it nothing to do with my religious beliefs or anything else ts just genetics, as I have said athiesm and religion needs to find a common ground otherwise I fear fo the world, you may wwell your the problem to that I would say no your the problem as I know where the problems of the world lie not with religion but with the cliimate and the economy because will iot matter hat religoous belief you have if you are pennyless or on a liferaft


latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
Posts: 2038
Joined: 2007-06-01
User is offlineOffline
bossman103 wrote:Look I just

bossman103 wrote:

Look I just don't believe tht suicide is the answer to anything, watch its a wonderful life, that is a film which tells you you are important no matter how small and irrelevant you think you are, suicide is the worst thing you can do because the family blames themselves instead of been able to say goodbye when the persona is alive and coming to terms with their death, I am sorry if I am not the most linear of writers I have mild dyspraxia so it is a little difficult for me. I do agree that sme people have done some horrible things in the name of christ and in the name of the prophet that is not their fault it is the fault of the teachers. If you teach people that their belief is better than all other beliefs then yyou will leave people no other choice than to try and convert their opponents. I don't have anything aginst athiesm as I believe in turning the other cheek and beng meek, if they want to challenge me then fair enough I won't shy away from a challenge but to me, I think that athiesm is a good idea jhjust it annoys me when I called stupid illogical or irrational and you don't even know me, thats what annoys you make a lot of assuptions about people without personally meeting them, you would not do this to race, disability or sexaulilty but you can do it about religion is seems very hypocritical to me as some athiests will not like if I made a blanket statementabout them, I am a human being that by definition makes me irrational and illogical it nothing to do with my religious beliefs or anything else ts just genetics, as I have said athiesm and religion needs to find a common ground otherwise I fear fo the world, you may wwell your the problem to that I would say no your the problem as I know where the problems of the world lie not with religion but with the cliimate and the economy because will iot matter hat religoous belief you have if you are pennyless or on a liferaft

First off I would like to say RELIGION is and Idea, it is not the same as Race, Disability or Sexuality as those last three you don't have a choice in the matter. Religion however is an Idea and you do have a choice if you believe or not, as well people can like, dislike, love, hate, agree or disagree with an idea. I personally both dislike and disagree with religion and religious ideas, because they are based mainly on emotion and illogical assumptions. Ur assuming there is a god, the evidence doesn't point to a god at all. Most definately the chrisitan god does not exist based on the evidence at hand. With that said I fight against religion not because I do not want to allow you to believe as you wish, but because christians, muslims and most other faiths (but not all as I don't have a problem with the buddhists that I have met in my life time since they go with a live and let live attitude) try to impose their beliefs and the ideas of how I should live my life based on THEIR interpretation of their religious holy texts and religious views.

As for the suicide part, I agree and disagree, for terminal illnesses one can say their goodbye's to their love ones and give their love ones time to get used to the idea (although even in naturally occuring death many family members never get over the death of a loved one, my mother being a prime example as she never got over the death of her mother who died of a heart attack, at the prime age of 86). People can also die in accidents etc, etc, etc. However a suicide in which it is not planned due to depression can leave the family with self doubts as they tend to blame themselves. With that said I did attend a farewell party for a friend that planned to kill himself due to a terminal disease (brain cancer that was slowly leaving him blind and massive headaches that morphine wasn't doing it anymore for him). We had a great time, we said our sad farewells and all attended his funeral all fine with the fact that he did this to end an unnecessary pain that would have lasted at least another 3 to 6 months.


pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
Posts: 2517
Joined: 2008-02-26
User is offlineOffline
bossman103 wrote:Look I just

bossman103 wrote:

Look I just don't believe tht suicide is the answer to anything, watch its a wonderful life, that is a film which tells you you are important no matter how small and irrelevant you think you are, suicide is the worst thing you can do because the family blames themselves instead of been able to say goodbye when the persona is alive and coming to terms with their death,

I absolutely agree that life is fantastic and worth looking forward to each and every new day. In the event that you have a fatal illness or injury which will result in your last few weeks or months of life being nothing but extreme pain each person should have the right to choose to end it or not. I support the position each person has the sole right to determine what is best for them without government interference.

bossman103 wrote:

I do agree that sme people have done some horrible things in the name of christ and in the name of the prophet that is not their fault it is the fault of the teachers. If you teach people that their belief is better than all other beliefs then yyou will leave people no other choice than to try and convert their opponents.

Christians have done as you say some of the most horrendous acts in the name of the "Lamb of God". It appears to be a byproduct  of the belief caused by emotionalism and a sense of righteousness based in delusional thought. Exactly where did they get the right to force convert or die or kill dissenters from mainstream if not from the egotistical view that this is what the god wants and it was their duty to enforce the god's will.

bossman103 wrote:

I don't have anything aginst athiesm as I believe in turning the other cheek and beng meek, if they want to challenge me then fair enough I won't shy away from a challenge but to me, I think that athiesm is a good idea jhjust it annoys me when I called stupid illogical or irrational and you don't even know me, thats what annoys you make a lot of assuptions about people without personally meeting them, you would not do this to race, disability or sexaulilty but you can do it about religion is seems very hypocritical to me as some athiests will not like if I made a blanket statementabout them, I am a human being that by definition makes me irrational and illogical it nothing to do with my religious beliefs or anything else ts just genetics,

I don't have anything against religious believers that keep their beliefs to themselves and out of my life. Unfortunately most Christians seem to think that Jesus gave them a mission in the Gospels right before he transported back to sky daddy to go and preach to all nations. In addition, believers of all types want to enforce their views on others. Consider the taxi drivers in Minneapolis/St. Paul that are mostly Muslim. They refuse to carry passengers that are carrying alcoholic beverages in their taxis from the airport. Consider the meat packers in Colorado and Nebraska where many Muslims work. They want special break times to pray and or eat during Ramadan. Consider Christians that had alcohol banned in the USA during prohibition. Consider Sunday Blue Laws, and quoting God says marriage is only between a man and a woman. Actually the Bible allowed marriage between a man and many women as for example the Patriarchs and Solomon as does Islam. Why care, they aren't trying to marry you. 

Perhaps you don't practice discrimination against atheists but many Christians do. When an atheist tells a Christian he does not believe in God they generally become elitist acting as if they are superior because they are saved et al. The argument goes,  don't you want to be saved or do you want to burn in Hell. They generally become very condescending considering the atheist to be less of a person because we don't believe in what we consider to be myths and fantasy. After this has occured a few dozen times an atheist just might get a bit irritated and strike back calling the religious believer irrational. As you say, you don't know me.

bossman103 wrote:

as I have said athiesm and religion needs to find a common ground otherwise I fear fo the world, you may wwell your the problem to that I would say no your the problem as I know where the problems of the world lie not with religion but with the cliimate and the economy because will iot matter hat religoous belief you have if you are pennyless or on a liferaft

Your fear is justified in that different religions cannot seem to tolerate each other yet alone the lack thereof. Consider the love hate relationship between Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland, the Moslem and Christian conflicts which continue today in Africa and the Mid-East. If different religions can't stand each other and find common ground why do you think there is any possibility of such between religion and atheists?

 

You might want to press enter and separate your ideas every once in awhile.

 

____________________________________________________________
"I guess it's time to ask if you live under high voltage power transmission lines which have been shown to cause stimulation of the fantasy centers of the brain due to electromagnetic waves?" - Me

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.


bossman103
Theist
Posts: 16
Joined: 2008-10-10
User is offlineOffline
Answer

I am sure that youu could make sone rules that would be fair and just, I think that euthanasia is a bad idea because natural death maybe less painful then assisted death, I would not know, I thought athiests would be against it more than thiests as thiests believe in an afterlife.

Whenever I see an athiest on this site discuss religious beliefs with soembody they go well you were brought up with that belief, well I wasn't really I celebrated christmas and easter, the only sort of religious thing I have to do is not eat red meat on good friday hardly a very pious upbringing I have been to church with school, also we used to sing prayers and give tins in at harvest time to the local church when I was at primary. There is my total religious experience except for the youth club where a very religious friend used to go and I went as well, I never prayeed with them I just played football (soccer) and basketball all the time they did that. Plus I have an athiest friend who I argue with all the time not about religion but about politics and stuff.

 

There you go I have been honest about my whole background, none of those external forces influenced my decision honestly, if you want I can explain why I believe but it would take more will and drink then I have inside me at moment as most of the stuff is personally humaliting.

 


magilum
Posts: 2410
Joined: 2007-03-07
User is offlineOffline
This thread is too stupid

This thread is too stupid for me to continue with. Toodles.


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
Yeah magilum, painful

Yeah magilum, painful .....  Umm, "love (heal) the enemy" ....

Hey Mr. nice guy bossman, read this,

Religious Moderation

http://www.rationalresponders.com/religious_moderation

  More in RRS Authors in upper left list.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/rrs_authors

   I love you more ....

 

 


bossman103
Theist
Posts: 16
Joined: 2008-10-10
User is offlineOffline
Fair enough

I don't live in america so I can't comment about the religious right, so i will have to believe the comments made in the link. Moderatism is the way to go for christianity, I dion't believe homosecuality is a sin and believe the earth is 10 billion years old as those undisputed facts, Hitchens and Harris are both mishguided indidviduals who I have spoke out against because Harris misquoted the bible and I think he needs to be shown why he is wrong about doing so, Hitchens is a alcholic who does not understand customs espeecially the jewish ritual of circumsion, its because the foreskin is unclean and cause problems during conception or sex, there are some medical facts that I found that why non-jews get it done as well.

I respect dawkins but I think sometimes he can say stuff and want answer to quickly to questions which require some deep spirtual musings, I just wish he wuld stop with theis miltant athiests rubbish, its not big and its not clever.


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5939
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
bossman103 wrote:I am sure

bossman103 wrote:

I am sure that youu could make sone rules that would be fair and just, I think that euthanasia is a bad idea because natural death maybe less painful then assisted death, I would not know, I thought athiests would be against it more than thiests as thiests believe in an afterlife.

Euthanasia normally implies that the person dying wants to die, typically to cut short an intolerable period of pain and suffering with little or no hope of it ending. They may be other motives, more psychological, which may sometimes seem harder to justify, but if someone seems of reasonably sound mind, and has made a deeply considered decision, there will definitely be cases where we shouls accept their decision. There are other cases where the person has left instructions about this, when they saw the prospect of progressive loss of faculties, as in Alzheimers, that also seem entirely reasonable. It's all about respecting the right of a person to make decisions about their own life, and not have those decisions blocked by other people, especially when that opposition is inspired by irrational beliefs.

Euthanasia would normally be essentially painless, precisely because it is typically being managed in the interests of the person who wishes to exit a painful life, and will be arranged to make it as painless as possible by selecting the method of ending the life, and using painkillers if there is still some risk of discomfort. So the facts are precisely the opposite of your assumption.

Atheists would normally be in favour of it, since it is allowing an individual control over the manner and time of their death, it is the opposition to it that is usually inspired by religious beliefs.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
Your enemy is my enemy

Your enemy is my enemy bossman ... me god no likes enemys as is separatism. So I, as buddha jesus, have come to divide as to promote serious debate, of the separatists idol worshipers and the all is one mentality.

WTF isn't god? Science studies god best, and so is the "saving" message of thermodynamics, eternity, matter/anitmatter, as all is one.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
I see euthanasia as a good

I see euthanasia as a good and needed thing - it would usually be used by the terminally ill - who are going to die soon anyway - or the brain dead - who are already dead for all intents and purposes other than harvesting organs. I would see oblivion as way better than living on in pain.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
Posts: 2517
Joined: 2008-02-26
User is offlineOffline
bossman103 wrote:I am sure

bossman103 wrote:

I am sure that youu could make sone rules that would be fair and just, I think that euthanasia is a bad idea because natural death maybe less painful then assisted death, I would not know, I thought athiests would be against it more than thiests as thiests believe in an afterlife.

Many of us are libertarians holding to the idea that an individual should have the ultimate say over any issue that directly affects their life. It's your life only you can decide its direction and its outcome.

bossman103 wrote:

Whenever I see an athiest on this site discuss religious beliefs with soembody they go well you were brought up with that belief, well I wasn't really I celebrated christmas and easter, the only sort of religious thing I have to do is not eat red meat on good friday hardly a very pious upbringing I have been to church with school, also we used to sing prayers and give tins in at harvest time to the local church when I was at primary. There is my total religious experience except for the youth club where a very religious friend used to go and I went as well, I never prayeed with them I just played football (soccer) and basketball all the time they did that. Plus I have an athiest friend who I argue with all the time not about religion but about politics and stuff.

Unlike you I was brought up in a religious environment. I went to religious schools including a graduate degree at a Jesuit University. In the end the knowledge I gained helped me to see the problems with religious belief. Many atheists on this site are former Christians with extensive backgrounds.

 

 

____________________________________________________________
"I guess it's time to ask if you live under high voltage power transmission lines which have been shown to cause stimulation of the fantasy centers of the brain due to electromagnetic waves?" - Me

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.


bossman103
Theist
Posts: 16
Joined: 2008-10-10
User is offlineOffline
Euthanasia

I see euthannasia as a bad thing as it goes against the hypocratic oath taken by docotrs and how would you feel if they developed a cure for the disease after you had a relative terminated. The biggest point is where I klive in England we had a doctor who strarted off with the best intentions but ended up being amomnster look up harold shipman you will see what I mean


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
I don't see it as going

I don't see it as going against the hippocratic oath, as it's not "doing harm" to let someone die quickly rather than lingering in pain for months or years.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


bossman103
Theist
Posts: 16
Joined: 2008-10-10
User is offlineOffline
we must disagree there

I am sorry it is up to the doctor to provide care not death, you may say why make somebody suffer well if they found a cure you would not say that, surely if they something positive with their illness like painting, philosophy or even just writing then maybe they could leave a good legacy, I recently watch the diving bell and the butterfly that is a really good example of a strokke making somebody hve more life then they did normaly


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5939
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
bossman103 wrote:I am sorry

bossman103 wrote:

I am sorry it is up to the doctor to provide care not death, you may say why make somebody suffer well if they found a cure you would not say that, surely if they something positive with their illness like painting, philosophy or even just writing then maybe they could leave a good legacy, I recently watch the diving bell and the butterfly that is a really good example of a strokke making somebody hve more life then they did normaly

But why force them to suffer, especially if they have made a personal decision that a painless death is what they really want? Why refuse their genuine wish, if they still hold to it after genuine attempts to persuade them?? Especially if there really is little or no prospect of relief from the pain and/or a cure? Even if there may be a cure 'just around the corner' there are going to be cases where someone has had what they consider a reasonable life, and just wants out?

Why be so cruel? Why could you not consider respecting their decision?

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
Posts: 666
Joined: 2008-02-15
User is offlineOffline
bossman103 wrote:I see

bossman103 wrote:

I see euthannasia as a bad thing as it goes against the hypocratic oath taken by docotrs and how would you feel if they developed a cure for the disease after you had a relative terminated. The biggest point is where I klive in England we had a doctor who strarted off with the best intentions but ended up being amomnster look up harold shipman you will see what I mean

What language do you speak where you klive in England?  From your spelling and grammar I gather you klive in the seventeenth century, back when people didn't have dictionaries or formal education.  Did your computer and the selection of films you've mentioned drop through some sort of temporal vortex?  I'm assuming it's still open, given that you have a working internet connection.  If so, can you send things through the other way?  I'd happily trade you some antibiotics and smokeless gunpowder for some original Shakespeare folios or doubloons.

Please pay attention to the red dashed lines under your type.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13211
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
bossman103 wrote:I am quite

bossman103 wrote:

I am quite religious, I don't go religiously to church but I have thought about going again. I have recently become religious again due to persoanl reasons. I think that athiesm or indeed thiesm is personal choice and does not make somebody irrational or illogical.  I think its us as human beings that lend ourselves to ilrrationality o illogic , now could I  in a coherent and logical way describe why I believe yes I could but it would not serve any purpose and get me claassified as a man of irrationality, now do I want athiests to believe no, do I think that I should habve right to believe yes, and have the right to say what I believe is rubbish but what you don't have the right is to question my morals, my logic or my rationality, those are blanket statements made by ignorant people who complain when religious people do it to thwem well then don't do it.

The day your side shuts it's flapping gums is the day I'll step down from returning the favour. You people all expect to be treated with honey, while carrying a molotov behind your back. It disgusts me.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
bossman103 wrote:Moderatism

bossman103 wrote:

Moderatism is the way to go for christianity,

Blasphemy. You are going to hell!

bossman103 wrote:
I dion't believe homosecuality is a sin

Well, God does. It's in the Bible.

bossman103 wrote:
and believe the earth is 10 billion years old as those undisputed facts,

Um, 4.54 billion years. 

bossman103 wrote:
Harris misquoted the bible and I think he needs to be shown why he is wrong about doing so,

Aw, well, you're not exactly a Bible expert yourself. You've already contradicted it several times.

bossman103 wrote:
Hitchens is a alcholic

Your point is?.........

bossman103 wrote:
who does not understand customs espeecially the jewish ritual of circumsion, its because the foreskin is unclean and cause problems during conception or sex, there are some medical facts that I found that why non-jews get it done as well.

Ah, that. Yeah, probably. We don't just chop the whole thing off?!

bossman103 wrote:
respect dawkins but I think sometimes he can say stuff and want answer to quickly to questions which require some deep spirtual musings,

There are no questions that require "deep spiritual musings" because spirituality in religion is a bullshit concept, devoid of any evidence or logic. Are we supposed to pray about it? 

bossman103 wrote:
I just wish he wuld stop with theis miltant athiests rubbish,

The atheists are coming to get you.

bossman103 wrote:
its not big

Big?

bossman103 wrote:
and its not clever.

He's not trying to be clever; he's expressing his thoughts on religion, which I happen to agree with.

Secularism, unlike religion, does not try to be clever. The truth doesn't need to spin intricate labyrinths of emotion, threaten you with imaginary, lightning-bolt clutching, deities, and protect its ass with blatant lies. The truth stands on its merit, as the truth.   

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
bossman103 wrote:what you

bossman103 wrote:

what you don't have the right is to question my morals, my logic or my rationality

 

Actually we do have that right. It's called the 1st ammendment.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
Posts: 702
Joined: 2006-08-03
User is offlineOffline
bossman103 wrote:I dion't

bossman103 wrote:

I dion't believe homosecuality is a sin and believe the earth is 10 billion years old as those undisputed facts

If you thought about it, you'd realize that the whole "sin" bullshit comes from religion. The Solar system is 4.6 billion years old, fyi.

bossman103 wrote:
Hitchens is a alcholic who does not understand customs espeecially the jewish ritual of circumsion, its because the foreskin is unclean and cause problems during conception or sex, there are some medical facts that I found that why non-jews get it done as well

Hitchens rightfully points out that genital mutilation (I don't use the lame euphemism of circumcision) is not compatible with a civilized society. It being a jewish or muslim or whatever ritual has nothing to do with it. "Unclean" foreskin? Cause problems during sex? Where do you get this load of crap? The point is, if you want to cut off parts of genetalia, do it to yourself when you are an adult and not to defenseless children who have no say in the matter.


pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
Posts: 2517
Joined: 2008-02-26
User is offlineOffline
bossman103 wrote:I am sorry

bossman103 wrote:

I am sorry it is up to the doctor to provide care not death, you may say why make somebody suffer well if they found a cure you would not say that, surely if they something positive with their illness like painting, philosophy or even just writing then maybe they could leave a good legacy, I recently watch the diving bell and the butterfly that is a really good example of a strokke making somebody hve more life then they did normaly

As I said earlier each and every person in the world has the right to determine what occurs to their own body or life. Laws that restrict this are done supposedly for the best interest of the individual. Telling someone they can't do something that harms no one else is wrong.

Assume for sake of argument medical science sees no possible cure for the fatal illness you have. It's painful and you live on heavy does of morphine. Every minute of your remaining life is pain beyond your imagination. You would have this person live in torture. How wrong and cruel. 1960s movie, "They Shoot Horses Don't They?"

 

____________________________________________________________
"I guess it's time to ask if you live under high voltage power transmission lines which have been shown to cause stimulation of the fantasy centers of the brain due to electromagnetic waves?" - Me

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.


pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
Posts: 2517
Joined: 2008-02-26
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:bossman103

MattShizzle wrote:

bossman103 wrote:

what you don't have the right is to question my morals, my logic or my rationality

 

Actually we do have that right. It's called the 1st ammendment.

Matt, he doesn't live in the US he said so earlier. We do have the right to question anyone that comes here to argue though, they opened themselves to that when they clicked post.

 

 

____________________________________________________________
"I guess it's time to ask if you live under high voltage power transmission lines which have been shown to cause stimulation of the fantasy centers of the brain due to electromagnetic waves?" - Me

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.


bossman103
Theist
Posts: 16
Joined: 2008-10-10
User is offlineOffline
A compromise

Well here is a compromise I though of if it is a descision made by a panel of the family, the doctor and individual then euthansia would be ok, if they have exhausted eevery available option then I could be ok if somebody wanted closure.


darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
Posts: 2650
Joined: 2006-02-27
User is offlineOffline
bossman103 wrote:Well here

bossman103 wrote:

Well here is a compromise I though of if it is a descision made by a panel of the family, the doctor and individual then euthansia would be ok, if they have exhausted eevery available option then I could be ok if somebody wanted closure.

 

That sounds very REASONable. I would say that you didn't use your faith to reach that conclusion. Right?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
I am god as you is not

I am god as you is not debatable ... but the details are , and so we have science.


HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
Posts: 4100
Joined: 2008-02-21
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:Whether

magilum wrote:

Whether something is a personal choice doesn't remove it from the framework of logic and empiricism, if it makes claims about the real world. To defend a claim by withdrawing from the arena where claims are evaluated doesn't look good for said claim.

So ... madge already won this one, right? That's what I'm reading, here. I mean, valid points, everyone, but shouldn't someone be saying "pwnd" or "ftw" after the above?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
  Hello Will.   Hadn't

  Hello Will.   Hadn't seen you post in a while. 


BMcD
Posts: 777
Joined: 2006-12-20
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:What

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

What language do you speak where you klive in England?  From your spelling and grammar I gather you klive in the seventeenth century, back when people didn't have dictionaries or formal education. 

Now now, let's keep in mind that the english language didn't actually have formalized spelling and grammatical rules until the middle of the nineteenth century, and that the definitive guide to spelling in the UK, The Oxford English Dictionary, wasn't compiled until the early-to-middle part of the Twentieth. No sense being unfairly unkind to the 17th century, even formal education didn't preclude variable spellings.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
I defy all dictionary's 

I defy all dictionary's  ....


A Devout Christian
Posts: 11
Joined: 2008-10-25
User is offlineOffline
bossman103 wrote:now do I

bossman103 wrote:
now do I want athiests to believe no, do I think that I should habve right to believe yes, and have the right to say what I believe is rubbish but what you don't have the right is to question my morals, my logic or my rationality, those are blanket statements made by ignorant people who complain when religious people do it to thwem well then don't do it.

 

The atheists here have every right yo question your morals, logic or rationality.


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
A Devout Christian wrote:The

A Devout Christian wrote:
The atheists here have every right yo question your morals, logic or rationality.

HA!

I got you too!

Damn, this atheist challenge is starting to get on my nerves.

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:A Devout

Hambydammit wrote:

A Devout Christian wrote:
The atheists here have every right yo question your morals, logic or rationality.

HA!

I got you too!

Damn, this atheist challenge is starting to get on my nerves.

Holy crap! They're everywhere.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
Posts: 4100
Joined: 2008-02-21
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote: 

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

  Hello Will.   Hadn't seen you post in a while. 

Hey Prozac. I love the McCain licking himself avatar. So creepy.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence


bossman103
Theist
Posts: 16
Joined: 2008-10-10
User is offlineOffline
Reply

I will say this once, right athiests have every right to say that religion is stupid, rubbish, fairytales, whatever thats your civil right and I would fight tooth and nail to claim that right for if it was taken honest I am a big civil right campaigner, but what do not have the right to do is to make assumptions about people without meeting them, surely that is against logic and reason, how can you form an opinion about somebody before you had a chat with them.

 

You can't, athiesm in a one idea ideology netiher are any religions, there are left wing, right wings, liberal, conservatives and extremists on every scale, so how could you possibly try to put a human being in a bracket which they possibly could not fit, it just seems innane to but hey I am just a thiest.

 

I don't do it, I know athiests who are open minded , I know athiests who are closed minded, I know christians who say I am a devil I know christians who woul even if you were a satanist put you up for the night without a moments hesitation, so I think all I was trying to do was trying to persuade people from making comments about people they have never met, fotr example we live on two seperate countries for heavens sake how could you pssibkly form a idea of who I am or what I do.


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5939
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Atheism is not an ideology

Atheism is not an ideology or a religion, it has no dogma or grand theory, merely lack pf belief in God(s).

Some people inclined to be very dogmatic about their world-view may also not believe in God, which means they are also Atheists, but that does not make their dogmas part of 'atheism'. It is dogmatic belief which is the problem, whether Christian Theology, Marxism/Communism, Free Market Fundamentalism, etc that is the problem.

People in free countries have every right to make provisional assumptions about other people based on their words, in fact it is impossible to not do this. It is only if people refuse to adjust those initial assumptions when they do meet the person, or treat those assumptions as more than just tentative ideas which may well be incorrect in some way.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
 bossman103 wrote:how can

 

bossman103 wrote:
how can you form an opinion about somebody before you had a chat with them.

We are chatting with you right now. We're communicating through the Internet. 

Quote:
how could you pssibkly form a idea of who I am or what I do.

Communication.

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


bossman103
Theist
Posts: 16
Joined: 2008-10-10
User is offlineOffline
This is hardly a good conversational platform

To be honest, this is a slightly tipped forum as its hardly 50/50 it is a mainly athiest forum,. I am sure that that there are thiests on here who are not afraid of speaking their minds like I am, I not afrad to say I believe in Jeusus christ, sorry its tough if you like it. Thtas all the arguement yopu will ever get out of thiests on a foru,m such as this as they feel as if they are not been allowed to make a point without a thousand and one points been made against them, which if anybody did that it would them look dumb.

 

A lack of believe can still be dogmatic in the way is spoken by the individual you just look on you tube and look at immendham and amazing athiest, to know what I am talking about they are as dogmatic as the venomfangxs of this world.

 

Intellectual reason would tell you that you should never judge something or someone before you meet them, I wil be going to see religious which I said wil not be funny before I saw it, I haven't seen it yet, so I can't comment on it.


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
I am atheist, and I am not

I am atheist, and I am not afraid to say "I am god", and a fan of the ancient gnosis jesus concept that says the same simple thing .... But I have no faith as I say this: I am what I am, as I am 100% god, as I am christ, just as YOU,  as all is ONE, inseparable. No master, no religion, no faith, no savior from all connected reality. SIMPLE. All is ONE.

  All who worship an invented higher other saving caring separate conscious deity master creator, are blind fools of surrender to a hocus pocus wishful fantasy from innate fear, confusion, and a rejection of all testable human scientific knowledge. 

Geezz, I was dead for an eternity and it didn't bother me in the least, as Mark Twain mused. Sheezz, stop making shit up you religious people. Live in the NOW.  


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:I not afrad to say I

 

Quote:
I not afrad to say I believe in Jeusus christ,

I thought you just believed in a hands off ultimate Creator. How does Jesus get into the picture? That doesn't sound very "hands-off."

Quote:
just look on you tube and look at immendham and amazing athiest

Good point. Amazing Atheist is a douchebag.

Quote:
which I said wil not be funny before I saw it, I haven't seen it yet, so I can't comment on it.

Well, you just did comment on it. What you mean is that your comment is probably not accurate? I think a Muslim will laugh at every part except parts criticizing Islam. A Scientologist will laugh except during the part mocking Scientology. I thought the whole thing was funny because I don't follow any set of religious beliefs. 

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


RatDog
atheist
Posts: 573
Joined: 2008-11-14
User is offlineOffline
Quote of bossman 103

bossman103 wrote:

Intellectual reason would tell you that you should never judge something or someone before you meet them, I wil be going to see religious which I said wil not be funny before I saw it, I haven't seen it yet, so I can't comment on it.

You have said several times that you shouldn’t judge people until you meet them, but if someone makes a claim it would be wrong not to judge them based of it.  If someone said that the sky was purple would you judge them to be wrong, or would you wait until you met them first.  Either the sky is purple or not purple.  If you believe the sky in not purple you must either judge them to be mistaken, a liar, or reevaluate you’re belief in the color of the sky.  If an atheist feel that religion is illogical and irrational and you are religions then they must conclude that you have an illogical and irrational belief weather or not they have met you, or they must change there own belief in the rationality of religion.  It isn’t reasonable to expect them to change there beliefs without a good reason, therefore you must either accept their belief, or give them a good reason to change it.    

 

P.S.  This is my first reply so I hope I'm doing it right.

{Mod: cleaned up extraneous stuff - dunno what causes that - some peculiarity of Internet Explorer?? }