To whom was Jesus sacrificed?

10101's picture
User is offlineOffline
To whom was Jesus sacrificed?

So growing up I'm told that Jesus died for our sins, that he was a sacrifice.

Question: to whom was Jesus a sacrifice?

There are two possibilities: that he was a sacrifice to God (which makes no sense given that he is God or is part of God via the trinity) or he was sacrificed to appease some deity more powerful than "God" that is not mentioned.

Following their own story and logic it makes more sense to claim that another, unnamed deity existed.  Why would Jesus need to die to appease himself?  I can't cut off my hand, offer it to myself, and then thank myself for my hand; it's absurd.

There must be another deity besides God to whom Jesus died to appease.  So who was it, Buddha? Smiling

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
       Buddha! Story

Buddha! Story Jesus was killed because people are not much "awake" ....

"Wisdom of the Buddha" , 8 min 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTsb-woP3jI

All is mind ....

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well, typically,

Well, typically, Christians would say that it would not be like cutting off your own hand because Jesus is not God (even though he is, but he's not.), He's God's Son, who is God, and the Holy Ghost, who is also God and the son. 

Basically, they're all one, but also all separate.

Hey, if he created the universe, then he can certainly overcome a few logical fallacies. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Geez... How many times must

Geez... How many times must I explain this?  It's perfectly simple:

* A talking snake tricked a woman into eating a piece of fruit.

* God punished billions of people because eating fruit is really, really bad.

* God flooded the whole earth to kill everybody but one family.

* Then he made Israel, and the Isrealites killed as many people as they could and took as much land as they could

* Then they got captured by Egyptians, so God killed all the firstborn Egyptians

* Then a group of kids made fun of a bald guy, so god sent a bear to kill them

* Then God made a bunch of crazy men say cryptic things about saviors

* Then God turned himself into a man by raping a virgin.

* Then God tricked the Israelites into killing him so they wouldn't have to kill goats anymore.

* But he wasn't dead because he's God, so he came back, but then left again, and hasn't been seen since.

* God did all of this so that you will have to believe in him so that he won't send you to hell because you didn't believe.

* Because He loves us

Just look at it this way:  God sacrificed himself to himself so that he could forgive us for being the way he made us because he loves us.  It's really simple.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ow!

Ow!

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
You know, the more I think

You know, the more I think about it, the Christian theory of Atonement describes the ultimate closed system.  It really is like the Second Law of Thermodynamics applied to the concept of Justice.  No wonder John Hartung speaks of the "The God of Proton Decay".

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
bi-nary 21

The answer seams to be in your second possibillity;  that un-named deity you mentioned is mentioned in the first of the "Ten commandments"  in the plural  sense,  (more then one{1}).

"Thou shalt have no other God before Me.  

What other gods is yahweh worried about?   Perhaps that is who  J.C.   (or God jr.)  was sacrificed to. It certainly was not for any human being I ever heard of.  

There is no reason to believe;   no evidence;    that J.C.   and  his 12 roadies ever existed.  The story  of Jesu B'nai Christos was a direct steal from Lord Mitra of the Zorastrians;  by  way of  a bi-polar episode of Saul of Tarsus, or maybe a brain stroke that killed off some of his rational brain cells.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
LMFAO at "god jr. "

LMFAO at "god jr. "

Jello
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Geez...

Hambydammit wrote:

Geez... How many times must I explain this?  It's perfectly simple:

* A talking snake tricked a woman into eating a piece of fruit.

* God punished billions of people because eating fruit is really, really bad.

* God flooded the whole earth to kill everybody but one family.

* Then he made Israel, and the Isrealites killed as many people as they could and took as much land as they could

* Then they got captured by Egyptians, so God killed all the firstborn Egyptians

* Then a group of kids made fun of a bald guy, so god sent a bear to kill them

* Then God made a bunch of crazy men say cryptic things about saviors

* Then God turned himself into a man by raping a virgin.

* Then God tricked the Israelites into killing him so they wouldn't have to kill goats anymore.

* But he wasn't dead because he's God, so he came back, but then left again, and hasn't been seen since.

* God did all of this so that you will have to believe in him so that he won't send you to hell because you didn't believe.

* Because He loves us

Just look at it this way:  God sacrificed himself to himself so that he could forgive us for being the way he made us because he loves us.  It's really simple.

That reminds me of a George Carlin routine

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.