Do you think that following your dreams is dangerous?

Iammagic
User is offlineOffline
Do you think that following your dreams is dangerous?

if you look at what happened to the astronauts of the space challenger, one of the astronauts said to follow your dream before the incident, and now it killed her. So some might say don't live to follow your dreams live with the limitations you see and live to survive, or is it better to take risks and live with fullfillment, joy go outside your comfort zone and have personal growth? Or is joy dangerous, is it better to look at the negativity and dwell on it just to be safe?

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iammagic wrote:if you look

Iammagic wrote:

if you look at what happened to the astronauts of the space challenger, one of the astronauts said to follow your dream before the incident, and now it killed her. So some might say don't live to follow your dreams live with the limitations you see and live to survive, or is it better to take risks and live with fullfillment, joy go outside your comfort zone and have personal growth? Or is joy dangerous, is it better to look at the negativity and dwell on it just to be safe?

Depends on who's dreams we're talking about...

If its my dreams... run for the hills >.>

(not that hills ever stopped global domination and wholesale slaughter of all inferior life-forms   )

What Would Kharn Do?

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Iammagic, thanks for

Hi Iammagic, thanks for posting!

For the sake of this discussion I will define dream as yearning or aspiration Smiling

I wonder if Judith and Christa were happy on their way into space? I bet they were. What did that mission do for our space program? Well, it slowed it down for over 2 years but without someone else with a yearning or aspiration, we wouldn't have followed it up with the launch of the '88 Discovery followed by all other launches...

Did these people have a dream?:

Doctors

Firefighters

Teachers

Sarah Palin

Adolf Hitler

Your next door neighbor

I guess what I am saying is everyone dreams. No matter what that dream is, it effects the lives of others negatively or positively.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is risk in everything

There is risk in everything you do, even simple things like driving. You never know when someone might run a light and t-bone you. You could be walking along a roadside and a car with a distracted or drunk driver could hit you.

Now, having said that. Whoopie Goldburg said it best on "Inside The Actor's Studio", to an audiance member's question, " You can all be great actors, but most, if not all of you in this audiance, will not be famous like me".

Which is true, and the same goes with pro sports. The higher up the ladder one gets, the fewer spots there are. Although it is not impossible, it is still a matter of math, and one, even if one wants to try to obtain that lofty goal, they at the same time should be rooted in reality and have something to fall back on.

It is not a matter of not trying, it is a matter of accepting reality and being grounded in reality. I think it is much more important to be happy with oneself, than it is to merely chace after a title or paycheck because that is what others say you should do.

Our materialistic society often looks down on the middle class or the poor when the reality is that those two classes are the backbone of our society. There is no job too small that one shouldn't take seriously. An honest job is an honest job.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iammagic wrote:if you look

Iammagic wrote:

I find the perfect way to answer this is by using the movie "Final Destination". *Spoilers*. At one point in the movie, one character locked himself in a wooden shed, tying everything down so he couldn't get hurt. He was so paranoid about dying, that he spent every living second doing nothing more than trying to live. It seemed to me that he had exchanged life for survival. It may be that some people are suited to such an existance. I am not. And should I ever spend more time trying to exist than trying to enjoy my existance, I will know that it is no longer worth existing.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Empirical Infidel
Empirical Infidel's picture
User is offlineOffline
I flew a hangglider every

I flew a hangglider every weekend for 15 years, I've done some rock climing, and I ride a motorcycle. These were all dreams that I fulfilled. The landlady from whom i rented a place, was just the opposite. She sat at home with the doors locked and saw nothing but what could go wrong in every situation. If I died tomorrow while following a dream, I'd count my self lucky for having experienced life as much as I did. Too many people are prisoners of their own fears. I say, get on the space shuttle and if it blows up, think about how lucky you are to be part of such a rare experience.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
ambitions.

There is a proviso for dreams and ambitions;...

"Be careful what you wish for,    you might get it."

Or you could be like my grandfather and die peacefully in your sleep, the other 250 people on the plane he was flying were  said to be yelling  and screeming all the way to the ground.

"Se' le vie"

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Worrying too much is an

Worrying too much is an extreem, but not worrying at all is also an extreem. If someone gives me advice that I ignore because of my own ego, and it hurts me because of my willfull ignorance, I have missed the oportunity to correct a mistake.

On the other hand, I cant worry about everything all the time, otherwise I would live in a prison.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
"The brave may not live

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious never live at all."  

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
I dunno, Martin Luther King

I dunno, Martin Luther King had a dream and look what happened to him.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
The beauty of there not

The beauty of there not being a masochist voyeur in the sky is that it really is a personal choice.  When you consider that there are 6 billion people in the world, and that 99.9% of all actions by 99.9% of all of them have little to no long term effect on anything significant (unless you happen to be a member of a species we're driving extinct, or something like that...) it becomes easy to see why there's no reason you shouldn't do essentially what you want.

Of course, I mean do what you want within reasonable limits and don't be a dick... cause... that's lame.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism