Sesame Street

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sesame Street

Does anyone remember watching Sesame Street?
Do you remember this little game you would play along with the TV? They would flash a screen with 4 boxes with pictures of items or people in it and play this song...

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Did you guess which thing was not like the others?
Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?
If you guessed this one is not like the others,
Then you're absolutely...right!

I understand that growing up we need to grasp the concept of " that one is bigger then that one" or "the light is on/the light is off". Everyday humans look at people, places and things and try to find the differences.
Here is my question:
Do you think recognizing differences in people, places and things is an inherent trait with humans or something that we learn?

Share what you think the world would be like if we didn't recognize differences...

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I think it's inherent, since

I think it's inherent, since the first thing people notice are usually the differences in things.

Hmac
Hmac's picture
User is offlineOffline
If we couldn't recognize the

If we couldn't recognize the differences in things, everyone would look alike, houses would look alike, cars would look alike...

...or would they? Maybe they'd all be different, but we wouldn't notice (or care).

Jello
User is offlineOffline
If we couldn't recognise the

If we couldn't recognise the difference in things our species would have died out millions of years ago, or (more likely?) we would have eventually evolved the ability out of nesessity?

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Early school kids often

Early school kids often calls their african-american classmate(s) "the black one", not because they're racists, but because it IS a black child, by simple color recognition. Politically correct teachers may be frightened, but it all depends on how the collective behaves.

If it's a bunch of cruel kids, any kind of difference (blackness, fatness, cleverness, having glasses, or whatever) will be used as a pretext to torture the individual.
If the kids are raised to have an empathy and awareness of others' feelings ( 'it hurts the kitty when you're pulling her tail' ) then a difference may actually be an advantage, a cool' feature which gains an interest and popularity. I know both social responses from my own experience. (the 'cleverness' case, believe it or not Smiling )

There are some things I agree with, and I agree with them specially, when I see them actually formulated, exactly as I mean them, but said much better than I could. This is what the great thinkers do, they doesn't have to make up something entirely new, they can express in powerful words, what all humanity wanted for millenia.
One of such thinkers is Ben Creme, and his thought, very suitable for this topic, is Unity in diversity.
You have something to give that nobody else can give, and they have something to give that nobody else has to give. Everybody, from their very individuality, has something which no one else can give. That is the diversity of the group.

Individuality is valuable and should be appreciated in service for a group, not destroyed by dull uniformity.

With unity in diversity, the diverse groups and points of view are not fragments of the whole; they are part of the whole. The whole is the outcome of their coming together and that gives form. The unity comes out of the diversity, not the other way around. You do not have the unity and then the diversity. You have diversity and then a growing unity by being able to overcome differences, to aim at a unified approach, a unified thought pattern. You attain a degree of group consciousness. That creates a form, which we call unity.

It's important to teach the children to appreciate the diversity. Smart kids can give you hints during exams. Tall or strong kids can help you to climb a neighbour's tree or fence and steal some fruit. Nature maniacs can bring some interesting and possibly venomous animals to school, to scare the teacher, etc, you get the idea. But only if you're a friend with them.
I really don't know what the fat kids are good for, but a good parent should raise the child to be able to find some good features even in them, and thus help them to become involved in a group activity, and thus lose some fat.
Ever heard of Waldorf school? Rudolf Steiner's best invention. I'd love to be schooled there, or send my future children there.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
The neuroscience behind Sesame Street

It is an innate property of the recognition systems within the temporal/parietal and parieto-occipital cortices to categorize knowledge. The fusiform gyrus which is a part of a region called IT is critically important in the recognition of faces. Damage to this area on both sides results in prosopagnosia ie. the inability recognize familiar faces. What is truly fascinating is that this region is activated almost immediately after birth enabling the infant to quickly react (ie. smile) when he/she sees mom's familiar face. This is hardwiring that is the consequence of natural selection. What is even more fascinating is that this area is co-opted for other tasks other than face recognition in an adult. For example, a surgeon's ability to distinguish different surgical instrument's involves IT region. Thus, another example of nurture via nature.

So when one of these things is not like other we can be thankful for IT and other recognition systems laid down by natural selection and then subsequently modified by learning.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry, i never watched

Sorry, i never watched edumacational programming... all my childhood shows revolved around giant battling robots, and people shooting each other, or being hacked to bits by swords... with lots of blood spray and explosions!!!

You know... that explains some things

What Would Kharn Do?

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:Sorry,

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Sorry, i never watched edumacational programming... all my childhood shows revolved around giant battling robots, and people shooting each other, or being hacked to bits by swords... with lots of blood spray and explosions!!!

You know... that explains some things

explains...the body parts in your freezer?  Smiling

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Somebody else can do the

Somebody else can do the google search because I don't want to, but there's a disorder... "Charles Something-Or-Other Disease"... I think...

Anyway, there's this mental disorder where people can't recognize or remember faces.  It's crazy to watch.  You can take someone with this disorder, and let their mother or father walk right in front of them over and over on a busy street, and they won't recognize them at all.  However, if they speak, they're instantly recognized.  There's a ton that isn't known about this disorder, but it's most certainly neurological.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I've always had a very

I've always had a very difficult time recognizing faces- I usually go by hair, facial hair, glasses, etc. If I know someone VERY well I'll recognize their face regardless, but otherwise if someone I know changes their hairstyle or such I'll need to hear their voice.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
 YES. I LOVE THIS GAME!!  

YES. I LOVE THIS GAME!!

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
mr804 wrote: YES. I LOVE

mr804 wrote:

YES. I LOVE THIS GAME!!

Ooo OOO 

The guy in white shorts is not like the others!!

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Oooh! oooh! right above

Oooh! oooh! right above da grey midgit! theres a guy with a gun, and hes da only one!

I getz cookie noa?

What Would Kharn Do?

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

mr804 wrote:

YES. I LOVE THIS GAME!!

Ooo OOO 

Huh ? There's a guy in white shorts in the picture ???

{ searches high and low slowly across the page and back}

Eye2

Oh yeah, so there is... I see him now.

Wink

Oh and here is the Big Bird version from YT if you want to waste a minute and a half

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueZ6tvqhk8U&feature=related

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wonko wrote:Renee

Wonko wrote:

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

mr804 wrote:

YES. I LOVE THIS GAME!!

Ooo OOO 

Huh ? There's a guy in white shorts in the picture ???

{ searches high and low slowly across the page and back}

Eye2

Oh yeah, so there is... I see him now.

Wink

Oh and here is the Big Bird version from YT if you want to waste a minute and a half

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueZ6tvqhk8U&feature=related

Yeah, I had to double take as well. I noticed the skin colour difference on the left, but didn't see a guy at first. Selective vision I suppose. So much hotness burned out the possibility of seeing a male at first. > >

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.