Read, then use as toilet paper?

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Read, then use as toilet paper?

I just read a review on io9.com about Ken MacLeod's book The Night Sessions and I have to say it sounds like the most interesting strawman yet to be contrived. The article is at this address:

http://io9.com/5059756/do-protestant-terrorist-robots-have-souls

I have to wonder if any of these authors ever actually talked to any atheists before sitting down to write a book. In this case the book takes place after some kind of anti-theistic genocide, something nobody I would associate with would seriously advocate, and involves religious androids.

Anyway, it's on my TO READ list. Right after The Limits of Power: The End of American Exceptionalism by Andrew Bacevich.

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Are you sure McCleod isn't

Are you sure McCleod isn't an atheist himself? I have to say, I think this sounds very interesting, and in no way a book that is secretly an attack on atheism... Did you read the whole review?

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
No matter by whom the book

No matter by whom the book is written, it seems like it will be a steaming pile.  I find it hard enough to read most anything these days and that book review did not entice me.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:Are you sure

Nikolaj wrote:

Are you sure McCleod isn't an atheist himself? I have to say, I think this sounds very interesting, and in no way a book that is secretly an attack on atheism... Did you read the whole review?

I'm wary of any story that starts out "atheists have taken over by force." That reeks of communism, not free thought. I'm sure it could be a turn on the people who say that all we want is a Chinese revolution, but that's not the impression I got.

Ken MacLeod (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
http://www.rationalresponders.com/comment/reply/15564/200093#com

Give me a fucking break - like, read the fucking book before you fucking mouth off about it. No fucking way is it about 'atheists taking over by force'. Its fucking epigraph is an imaginary amendment to the Constitution of the United States: 'The government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion, nor on any other.'

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
Hi Ken, are you coming to my

Hi Ken, are you coming to my barbeque this saturday? /ridi

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Any atheist worth their salt

Any atheist worth their salt and with an education WOULD advocate reading such books as 1984 and Animal Farm. Any dipshit implying atheism advocates oppression of others only need look at their own oppressive authoritarian fictional character in the sky who acts like an abusive spouse when you don't cook the eggs right.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog