Jobless father kills family, self

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jobless father kills family, self

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A man distraught because he could not find work shot and killed his mother-in-law, his wife and three sons and then killed himself inside a home in an upscale San Fernando Valley neighborhood, police said.

Authorities said the man had an MBA in finance but appeared to have been unemployed for several months and had worked for major accounting firms, such as Price Waterhouse.

READ STORY HERE

So, lets say you, reading this now, rents a home in an upscale neighborhood in "anywhere" USA and suddenly can't afford it---

What would you do?

Me, I would move to a home that I could afford and get ANY job to make ends meet. Now granted, I don't have my  mother-in-law living with me (who knows what kind of pressure she put on that man to provide for his family) but it sure seems like common sense to simply, move.

Maybe one of you can speak to the "American Dream" syndrome and how it has affected our economy(if at all) I mean we are a country of everything in excess, everything at your fingertips , does this create a sense of obligation in people?

My heart hurts thinking that this man felt the only option, the only solution to his problem was to kill himself and his family.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:I

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
I disagree with those who say life is still worth living. Life in and of itself is utterly worthless. It's the quality of the life that matters.

I'm gonna go with you on this one.  It seems patently obvious that there are lives which are so horrible that death would be better.  I can't find the justification for believing that life is somehow the ultimate trump card in any discussion of meaning or value.  I'm not saying I think this guy should have killed himself.  I dunno.  However, I am saying that it's possible that given his available options, it's possible that he may have been justified in doing it.

I agree with both of you wholeheartedly.

Aside, I feel it should be pointed out that many times a child is handed the debt left by a parent in our societies. It may be that the father thought he was saving his children from a debt that he thought impossible to escape from. I can't say as it makes a huge difference morally in many peoples eyes, but it could have been a large factor in his descision. Depressed people tend to be less rational.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Mordagar
RRS local affiliateSuperfan
Mordagar's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Hambydammit

Vastet wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
I disagree with those who say life is still worth living. Life in and of itself is utterly worthless. It's the quality of the life that matters.

I'm gonna go with you on this one.  It seems patently obvious that there are lives which are so horrible that death would be better.  I can't find the justification for believing that life is somehow the ultimate trump card in any discussion of meaning or value.  I'm not saying I think this guy should have killed himself.  I dunno.  However, I am saying that it's possible that given his available options, it's possible that he may have been justified in doing it.

Aside, I feel it should be pointed out that many times a child is handed the debt left by a parent in our societies. It may be that the father thought he was saving his children from a debt that he thought impossible to escape from. I can't say as it makes a huge difference morally in many peoples eyes, but it could have been a large factor in his descision. Depressed people tend to be less rational.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with the idea that death can be preferable as opposed to living life in horrible conditions. Perhaps I am a bit biased since I recently read Viktor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning.

Frankl is a Holocaust survivor and one of the central points of his book is people need to find a why. Something personal to them, something that they can give to the world that nobody else can. People today, at least in America, worry too much about what the world is or is not giving to them.

In this book, Frankl, a psychiatrist, finds that time and time again those who find something to hold onto went on living. They persisted through sickness, cruel and inhumane treatment, and the threat of death around every corner. He found that there were those who just gave up all hope, and they usually ended up dying soon after. He even keeps a few inmates from going through with suicide with this type of thinking, by giving them something to live for. I don't know if anyone would disagree, but I think living in a concentration camp would be worse than growing up almost anywhere in America.

In the end, Frank's conclusion echoes Nietzsche when he says, "He who has a why to live can bear with almost any how."

Perhaps I am just a lofty idealist, but these thoughts seem to make sense to me. Feel free to discuss.

"The idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I am unable to take seriously." [Albert Einstein, letter to Hoffman and Dukas, 1946]

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I remember reading that for

I remember reading that for a class in college. I remember I didn't agree with the idea then.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Matt, that's not

Quote:
Matt, that's not realistic at all.  Success is not at least 99% due to luck.  People put very hard work into earning their degrees, finding good jobs or otherwise making themselves successful by their own standards.  Please, just because you are in an unfortunate position, do not cheapen the very hard work that others put into their lives by attributing their success relative to yours to 'luck', it's insulting and makes you look pathetic.

Thom, I'm going to go ahead and defend Matt's assertion - except I'm going to bump-up the percentage to 100%. The largest factors in determining your standard of living are the time and place in which you were born and the state of your family's wealth and education at the time. I'm not cheapening the hard work that people do - I'm saying that there are many things that must have fallen into place in order for them to even had access to the opportunity to work towards a career.

Born outside the first world? Tough.

Born outside the era of enlightenment? Tough.

Born into an impoverished and uneducated family? Tough.

The thing I find most vexxing is that often, when the 3rd example is brought-up, the average rational person will suddenly turn to a textbook irrational argument in order to defend the system;

'Well, there are stories of people born into hard times on the wrong side of town that work their way out of it and become successful!'

...Pointing-out a handful of examples that support their argument while ignoring the overwhelming number of examples that counter it.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Thom,

Kevin R Brown wrote:
Thom, I'm going to go ahead and defend Matt's assertion - except I'm going to bump-up the percentage to 100%. The largest factors in determining your standard of living are the time and place in which you were born and the state of your family's wealth and education at the time. I'm not cheapening the hard work that people do - I'm saying that there are many things that must have fallen into place in order for them to even had access to the opportunity to work towards a career.

Born outside the first world? Tough.

Born outside the era of enlightenment? Tough.

Born into an impoverished and uneducated family? Tough.

The thing I find most vexxing is that often, when the 3rd example is brought-up, the average rational person will suddenly turn to a textbook irrational argument in order to defend the system;

'Well, there are stories of people born into hard times on the wrong side of town that work their way out of it and become successful!'

...Pointing-out a handful of examples that support their argument while ignoring the overwhelming number of examples that counter it.

This is pure bullshit.  Luck has nothing to do with anything.  Luck doesn't exist. 

Yes, many things had to happen in order for a person to live 'successfully' (by whose standards?).  You had to be born in the first place.  Your parents had to have been born.  The Earth must have been able to support life.  The universe must have been a viable place for life to exist.  That, Kevin, is the end point of your argument and it's only pointing out the obvious; things must have been a certain way for things to be or become a certain way and that's not luck.

You are right, that it doesn't cheapen the hard work people do, but it's just reality.  Luck, however, is not reality, it is a magical lottery that Matt uses as an excuse to justify why he is not successful and why Hamby, Deludedgod or myself are (presumably Hamby and Deludedgod consider themselves successfull... I do myself).  That is pathetic.  We've all read Matt's 'poor me' posts and I've been hearing a lot of 'poor me's' from people in my life lately too, so perhaps that is what has me fed up, but it's damned annoying and I won't have someone believe that I won the luck lottery to be what I am, and I won't have someone believe they've lost such a thing and use it as an excuse as to why they can't do better.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Luck certainly exists. There

Luck certainly exists. There was even an experiment done a few years ago where they took people who considered themselves "lucky" and "unluucky" guess which of 2 lights would randomly turn on - the "lucky" ones guessed higher than chance and the "unlcuky" ones lower. We also all see or know people who everything seems to go right for no matter what they do and those who everything goes wrong for. I don't consider it a magical force or anything, it simply is an explanation some some people get the random chances that gives them everything while others get nothing. Hard work has almost nothing to do with it - look how many succesful people do next to nothing and get everything and how many work their asses off for minimum wage. You could even consider besides the environment of what family someone is born into the genes they receive. Of course there's also the fact that (at least in the US) a large portion of society is geared toward keeping the rich rich and the poor poor.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I won't have someone

Quote:
I won't have someone believe that I won the luck lottery to be what I am, and I won't have someone believe they've lost such a thing and use it as an excuse as to why they can't do better.

Okay; do you consider all of the peer-reviewed literature on height's relation to income level to be bunk, then? Do you consider our own issue of the native prison population to be nothing to  take a look at? Do you believe that skin tone really has no effect on your life?

Thom, like I said, I'm not suggested that you didn't earn what you have. I'm saying that the average person's chances of being able to accrue the kind of wealth we enjoy in the 1st world are extraordinarily slim - and when we take into account the scope of our species's history, we're incredibly lucky to be living with the securities we have now.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
LUCK1.the force that seems

LUCK

1.the force that seems to operate for good or ill in a person's life, as in shaping circumstances, events, or opportunities: With my luck I'll probably get pneumonia.
2.good fortune; advantage or success, considered as the result of chance: He had no luck finding work.
3.a combination of circumstances, events, etc., operating by chance to bring good or ill to a person: She's had nothing but bad luck all year.
4.some object on which good fortune is supposed to depend: This rabbit's foot is my luck.

Please please please explain to me how 99% of a persons success is due to luck. Unless we are changing the definition of luck (see above) the idea that a persons success is influenced by chance why should any of us have to work hard to get anywhere in life? I mean, wtf, lets all just stop trying to succeed or in some cases barely make ends meet, lets see what happens!

Actually, maybe we should try to pinpoint what we define as success.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Easy: They got the job

Easy: They got the job because they knew the right people, or happened to be born into an influencial/wealthy family, etc. There is of course winning the lottery but that's too unlikely to even be a factor. There's also the lack of success due to things beyond ones control. I forgot until Kevin mentioned it how much success is due to a persons appearance, including how tall they are.

I would say most people that are poor it is due to the inherent unfairness and repressiveness of capitalism. I find it disgusting people want to blame the victim. Anyone who says the poor are poor because they don't work hard enough I'd like to spit in their face.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Easy: They

MattShizzle wrote:

Easy: They got the job because they knew the right people, or happened to be born into an influencial/wealthy family, etc. There is of course winning the lottery but that's too unlikely to even be a factor. There's also the lack of success due to things beyond ones control. I forgot until Kevin mentioned it how much success is due to a persons appearance, including how tall they are.

That is not by chance, that is due to someone NETWORKING actually working towards a goal and utilizing who they know.

Try again.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: I forgot

MattShizzle wrote:

I forgot until Kevin mentioned it how much success is due to a persons appearance, including how tall they are.

Electronic voice:  "Yes. Matt....that is so....true."

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Bullshit. People have very

Bullshit. People have very little control over what happens in their life other than they can kill themself once they can't take it anymore if things are too bad. If they never met that person they wouldn't be able to utlize them.

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Bullshit.

MattShizzle wrote:

Bullshit. People have very little control over what happens in their life other than they can kill themself once they can't take it anymore if things are too bad. If they never met that person they wouldn't be able to utlize them.

But a person can not get out and network to meet those people if they are at home complaining about how everyone else is lucky.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Bullshit.

MattShizzle wrote:

Bullshit. People have very little control over what happens in their life other than they can kill themself once they can't take it anymore if things are too bad.

Well Matt I am going on the record as being pro-choice when it comes to suicide.   If you actually reached a point where your life was too much of a burden ( either emotionally or physically ) I support the right of anyone to exercise the right to terminate their own existence.   I am not encouraging you to resort to that option but I certainly support the right to choose.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'm guessing neither of you

I'm guessing neither of you has any idea what it's like to not be a succesful person. To me the idea that hard work leads to success should be listed as an "irrational precept. " Being succesful is almost totally a result of one sort of luck or another.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I'm

MattShizzle wrote:

I'm guessing neither of you has any idea what it's like to not be a succesful person. To me the idea that hard work leads to success should be listed as an "irrational precept. " Being succesful is almost totally a result of one sort of luck or another.

I don't know whether you were referring to me but my life has been anything but successful.   I've been seeing shrinks since I was 19, I celebrated my 25'th birthday inside a mental hospital, I've been arrested and thrown in jail, I have a hard time keeping a job, and I have to depend upon my own efforts to remain fed and keep a roof over my head.  Can you say mental illness

PS, I didn't choose my user name by accident.

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I'm

MattShizzle wrote:

Wrong. And again, we need to discuss what the definition of "success" is. I feel that each of us may have a different idea ...

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
And wouldn't you agree it

And wouldn't you agree it was due to bad luck that you've had that situation - rather than you didn't work hard enough?

I would define success as a comfortable income without having to work an excessive ammount (more than 40 hrs a week is definitely excessive. )

Maybe it would be better if I put it in terms of locus of control rather than "luck. " At least in my own life, I'd put locus of control at at least 99% external.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:And

MattShizzle wrote:

And wouldn't you agree it was due to bad luck that you've had that situation - rather than you didn't work hard enough?

I simply lost the genetic lottory.   I inherited the tendency to be an emotional wack job.  Too bad for me. Nevertheless I have personal knowledge of a woman who is severely bi-polar ( bad luck ? ) yet through business savy she was able to amass an income in the millions.  She initiated the process and employed methods that allowed her to legitimately EARN her fortune.  If you were to tell her that she made those millions because she was "lucky" she would probably slap the shit out of you.

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
So it comes down to

So it comes down to personality?

*EDIT* This was directed to Matts post, not prozac

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
wow. This is some crazy

wow. This is some crazy talk.

At one point in my life, was jobless, homeless and collecting food stamps. I thought to myself "man, this blows" and got a job working in a warehouse. WHILE I was doing this, I was studing Unix and reading books on different computer subjects. I was obsessed with tech. later, I got a job as helpdesk at an internet startup who was selling dialup. I got this job because I bugged the shit out of them until they gave it to me. I made enough money to pay my rent and buy beer at least. Sometimes you have to take less pay to get your foot in the door or make another personal sacrafice.

a few jobs later, and schooling/books/etc I've pretty much climbed the ladder from nothing and work at one of the top companies in the US. Luck played a very small roll in where I've gotten in my life. I worked very hard, won a lot of awards always tried to learn more.

Sounds like everyone wants excuses for personal failures. What a bunch of bleeding heart bullshit. I don't think my sucess is unique. a lot of people in my company came from poor families.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I don't know if I'd include

I don't know if I'd include personality, though actual mental disorders I would (or physical. ) Of course, in a way EVERYTHING can boil down to luck, in the sense that everything about you is determined by a combination of genetics and environment.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
mr804 wrote:  Sounds like

mr804 wrote:

Sounds like everyone wants excuses for personal failures. What a bunch of bleeding heart bullshit. I don't think my sucess is unique. a lot of people in my company came from poor families.

I don't come from a poor family, my father was a top level executive who played golf and drove around in his Beemer, my brother , after becoming a CPA, is employed as a comptroller and is over hundreds of employees and makes a damn good living.    My socio-economic background was quite fortunate.

My personal issues regarding my mental health status are simply statements of FACT.   No offense but fuck anyone who thinks that I use it as an excuse for my failures or that I want anyone's sympathy.   I work damn hard to take care of my own affairs and I don't ask anyone to wipe my ass.

PS, sorry for the rant but I can't stand for anyone to accuse me of  looking for pity or being lazy.

( edited to reduce infammatory tone )

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I don't

MattShizzle wrote:

I don't know if I'd include personality, though actual mental disorders I would (or physical. ) Of course, in a way EVERYTHING can boil down to luck, in the sense that everything about you is determined by a combination of genetics and environment.

You had mentioned Locus of control, that is why I mentioned personality. You are saying you are more 'external' when it comes to this specific term?

What are your thoughts on 'learned helplessness'?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rather than recite a book

Rather than recite a book report that would take ten pages, how about this.  Matt, there's a perfectly good explanation for why this argument is taking place.  In a nutshell, neither side understands the futility of trying to isolate either nature or nurture.  Why don't you take a couple of days and spend your normal online time reading The Agile Gene, by Matt Ridley.  You can order it used off of Amazon for three or four bucks.  Once you've read it, you'll understand that your attributions to luck and your opposition's attributions to behavior are two sides of the same coin.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Unfortunately I can't order

Unfortunately I can't order anything now. My credit card gets denied.

I wouldn't call it personality - it just happens to be a fact of my life that what I do has very little to do with how it goes - it's all about what happens in terms of things I have absolutely no control over.

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle

MattShizzle wrote:

Unfortunately I can't order anything now. My credit card gets denied.

I wouldn't call it personality - it just happens to be a fact of my life that what I do has very little to do with how it goes - it's all about what happens in terms of things I have absolutely no control over.

Here it is on Google Books.

Free with a short search.

Google books tend to omit random pages, so just so you know you may be missing quite a few pages but out of the over 275 pages...you can still get the theme of the book.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I might check the library

I might check the library too. I got a card last week since the week before I finally got a photo ID after 8 years. Not likely to be in the tiny town library, but there is a chance.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

I forgot until Kevin mentioned it how much success is due to a persons appearance, including how tall they are.

*Sigh*

...And this would be an example of what I mentioned earlier. Stephen Hawkings would be one out of how many people with his particular medical condition, again?

Anyone else recall the discussion we had to have no too long ago with the creationists who insisted that God responded to a preacher's request for a sign by striking his church with lightning?

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
mr804 wrote:wow. This is

mr804 wrote:

wow. This is some crazy talk.

At one point in my life, was jobless, homeless and collecting food stamps. I thought to myself "man, this blows" and got a job working in a warehouse. WHILE I was doing this, I was studing Unix and reading books on different computer subjects. I was obsessed with tech. later, I got a job as helpdesk at an internet startup who was selling dialup. I got this job because I bugged the shit out of them until they gave it to me. I made enough money to pay my rent and buy beer at least. Sometimes you have to take less pay to get your foot in the door or make another personal sacrafice.

a few jobs later, and schooling/books/etc I've pretty much climbed the ladder from nothing and work at one of the top companies in the US. Luck played a very small roll in where I've gotten in my life. I worked very hard, won a lot of awards always tried to learn more.

[/quote

Right. Because nothing says 'empirical evidence' like a personal anecdote.

Sticking out tongue

Quote:

February 27, 1940

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Exactly. Personal anectdotes

Exactly. Personal anectdotes are worthless. Look at how the majority do. We need to start executing the rich and redistributing their money to the poor.

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Hey matt, Why don't we

Hey matt,

Why don't we just kill all the jobless people like you don't sit at home all day. Seems more productive. I mean, the rich provide jobs, you just provide lulz.

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why are we continuing to use

Why are we continuing to use luck as if we were discussing the force? 

"The dark side of the force stopped me from becoming a great Jedi" says sith lord Anakin skywalker, "the dark side was just too powerful, I had no control and could not resist its temptations!"  Skywalker, now in his adulthood, was rumored once to be the prophecied youth who would bring forth balance to the force.  A poor kid in a small town on Tantooine, the force led two Jedi there who discovered him and brought him back to the Jedi Council on the Empiral home world for training.  Through the power of the force, Anakin became a powerful student, exceeding all those who trained him.  "It was like I had no control or limits to what i could do.  The force was just too great and no matter how much I tried to resist, great things kept happening to me!"  soon skywalker found himself a student to the dark lord of the sith, Darth Sideous, who revealed himself to him and commanded him to kill all Jedi at the temple.  "This power came over me, and I just followed the flow of the force...next thing I know I'm killing younglings!"  Skywalker awaits trial next week infront of the senate, but rumor is that skywalker's lawyer is going to plead the Force made skywalker do it.  If so, skywalker may get off with as little as a few years with good conduct - if they force will will it, that is.

Seriously.  "Luck" sounds this retarded.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
A job worth doing

Hi Matt,

I just wanted to comment on your several posts suggesting that if you had to work in McDonald's you'd kill yourself.  As someone who was raised in a poor household, with a father constantly bouncing between jobs to make ends meet, I think that's an absolutely ridiculous statement.  That sort of job would still allow you to pay rent, eat and enjoy a life many people on this planet can still only dream of.  It might not cover the creature comforts and little excesses of life that Americans have bcome used to, and you'd have to sacrifice some of them, but you'd still be able to function in the world and look for better opportunities (like renee said, $20 a week can keep you fed unless you're really fussy)

You don't like the smell of fast food?  Can't stand dealing with people?  I don't want to sound harsh, especially as your aspergers can't be great for you in relating to customers, but if it was the choice between abject poverty and getting by I'd suck it up and deal with the things I didn't like before even remotely contemplating a statement like "I'd rather kill myself". 

I was raised with two maxims from my father being the only real driving forces "Always better yourself" and "Any job is worth doing well".  All going well I'll be examined for my PhD just after New Years and I'll graduate in July.  If I absolutely had to I'd still take the job in McDonald's and I'd do it well, if only so I could keep myself going for better times ahead.

A job isn't the end.

Your things, once lost, can be replaced.

A low paid job isn't worth killing yourself over.

M

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

*Sigh*

...And this would be an example of what I mentioned earlier. Stephen Hawkings would be one out of how many people with his particular medical condition, again?

How many examples do you require Kevin ?            

Five ? Ten ?  A hundred ?  Do you think on a planet that is populated with over six  BILLION people that there are no other examples other than Hawkings of less than attractive, handicapped persons that have achieved success and notoriety ?  

As yet I haven't done a search for such statistics ( if they even exist )  but I would say based upon the law of averages, statistical probabilities, etc,  that Steven Hawkings is not an anomoly in this regard.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm about to vomit.

Christ, I'm about to vomit.  Matt, you're so full of it here that I couldn't even read most of your posts.  By your standards, I'm extremely wealthy so I guess I'll be pulling your knife out of my eye or whatever after clicking 'post.' 

I am *substantially* more disabled than you and don't give me some crap about how I don't know what I'm talking about.  I've met you, and I don't think I need to remind everyone how many surgeries and medical problems I have had.  So, let me say this bluntly to be perfectly clear:  I would give everything I owned if I could have your level of health.

But wait, I have an awesome quality of life... Actually, I have almost everything I've ever wanted.  How did that happen?  I don't just sit around waiting for the state to wipe my ass - even though I more than qualify for such treatment.  I get up every fucking day to wipe my own ass, thank you.  I do more before lunch than most able-bodied people so all week.  In your case, it's more like a year.  Fuck McD's... I'd scrub toilets or give enemas to old men in nursing homes if that's what it took to put food on the table.  Fortunately, I've never been in that position but if that's what it came down to I believe I could do it.  I'd at least try it before contemplating methods of suicide.

Why on Earth would you kill someone before resorting to selling fast food?  Now that is irrational.  Do you want to live in a world where people just kill people indiscriminately with no repercussions in order to survive?  I don't.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:Christ,

shelleymtjoy wrote:

Christ, I'm about to vomit.  Matt, you're so full of it here that I couldn't even read most of your posts.  By your standards, I'm extremely wealthy so I guess I'll be putting your knife out of my eye or whatever after clicking 'post.' 

I am *substantially* more disabled than you and don't give me some crap about how I don't know what I'm talking about.  I've met you, and I don't think I need to remind everyone how many surgeries and medical problems I have had.  So, let me say this bluntly to be perfectly clear:  I would give everything I owned if I could have your level of health.

But wait, I have an awesome quality of life... Actually, I have almost everything I've ever wanted.  How did that happen?  I don't just sit around waiting for the state to wipe my ass - even though I more than qualify for such treatment.  I get up every fucking day to wipe my own ass, thank you.  I do more before lunch than most able-bodied people so all week.  In your case, it's more like a year.  Fuck McD's... I'd scrub toilets or give enemas to old men in nursing homes if that's what it took to put food on the table.  Fortunately, I've never been in that position but if that's what it came down to I believe I could do it.  I'd at least try it before contemplating methods of suicide.

Why on Earth would you kill someone before resorting to selling fast food?  Now that is irrational.  Do you want to live in a world where people just kill people indiscriminately with no repercussions in order to survive?  I don't.

Wow !  Matt, dude, you just got spanked !   Shelley has totally got more balls than you.   It's not that you don't have some legitimate gripes Matt, you just can't seem to change your fatalistic attitudeListen to her, man and try and follow her example.  She makes good sense.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: And some

MattShizzle wrote:

And some members here think we do too much for the poor now.

Some members here understand that we can't do more wealth redistribution than we have now without totally wrecking the economy and environment for everyone. Some members here understand that welfare without rehabilitation is treating the symptoms not the root causes of poverty.

While other members here live in a fantasy world that the rich could somehow continually support the poor no matter how many there are.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Although I did wipe the

Although I did wipe the floor with Matt earlier, that wasn't my entire intention.

Matt, if I could only stand 15 minutes a day then I'd walk for 15 minutes today and 15 minutes tomorrow and the day after that and that... hopefully a month later I could walk 16 minutes.  Maybe that wouldn't be possible though but at least 15 minutes wouldn't be turning into 10. 

I've been in a fucking hospital bed for 6 months straight - not even getting up to shower and having surgery after surgery after surgery all summer long.  Guess what happened when it was time to go home?  I couldn't physically get myself in my chair.  Two weeks ago though I pushed 3.1 miles in the AIDS Walk here in DC.  I would think knowing me IRL would be a little motivation but sadly it hasn't been. 

Look at Stephen Hawking.  He could have just given up too.  If you just want to be someone that gives up, don't expect anyone else to give a crap.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Frankl is a Holocaust

Quote:
Frankl is a Holocaust survivor and one of the central points of his book is people need to find a why. Something personal to them, something that they can give to the world that nobody else can. People today, at least in America, worry too much about what the world is or is not giving to them.

I wonder sometimes why those who espouse the idea of everyone finding a "why" overlook the fact that the answer to "why" can be that there is no why.  If meaning is so personal to everybody, what's wrong with finding meaning in the sheer luck of it all?  I'm just so many bits of DNA wrapped up in an ape-like body, and I'm going to die one day, as will all of humanity.  What's so horrible about living life for nothing other than the meaning of living life?

Certainly I have purpose and direction in my own life.  My fight against theism is a perfect example.  The thing is, I don't do it because I believe in higher purpose, or the perfection of humankind, or anything of the sort.  I just see a problem, and I'm trying to fix it.  There's not really all that much else behind it.  I don't need any kind of sense of uniqueness.  Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Brian Sapient, Rook Hawkins, David Mills, and dozens of other people are very capable of doing the same things that I do.  My contribution is not unique, and I'm ok with that.

Quote:
He found that there were those who just gave up all hope, and they usually ended up dying soon after.

And it's sad, but who are we to judge them for not caring to hope as much as the next guy?

Quote:
He even keeps a few inmates from going through with suicide with this type of thinking, by giving them something to live for.

Again, this is fine, and I don't disparage him for trying to encourage people to do what he believes is good.  But isn't it just an appeal to numbers to say that lots of people think that life needs a purpose?  Does that mean that life needs a purpose, or does it just mean that for those people who think life needs a purpose, life needs a purpose?

Quote:
I don't know if anyone would disagree, but I think living in a concentration camp would be worse than growing up almost anywhere in America.

Quantitatively, I think there can be no debate.  The important question is whether or not it is strictly a qualitative judgment.  Does the slave who has good food to eat every week owe it to the concentration camp survivor to survive because he has it quantitatively better, or does he have the right to take his own life because personally, he finds it unbearable, even if there are people who have suffered worse?

Quote:
In the end, Frank's conclusion echoes Nietzsche when he says, "He who has a why to live can bear with almost any how."

But what if someone's personal "why" is to live life so long that it is sufficiently pleasant?  Is his why not good enough to meet your approval?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with everything

I agree with everything except that your contribution isn't unique. I think everyone can have a great deal of overlapping, yet still retain a certain unique quality.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
By the way, I'm not a

By the way, I'm not a "strong" person so I can't take as much as most people can. I'm also very much a materialist. I really don't see a reason to survive if you are living in a bad situation. Anyway to point out to Christians they should agree with me on being anti-capitalist they should read what he actually said (according to the Buybull. I doubt he ever really existed. )

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mordagar wrote:Vastet

Mordagar wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

I'm not sure I entirely agree with the idea that death can be preferable as opposed to living life in horrible conditions.

I find that people who say this have simply never suffered a traumatic enough experience. Try suffering through a migraine that confines you to bed for a week or more, able to do nothing more than cry as doctors bump their heads into walls trying to figure it out. Or maybe having a case of the hiccups that lasts more than 10 years and has everyone pointing and laughing at you every time you leave your house. Another possibility is abuse from every angle from childhood, never allowing you to learn the nicer things in life. Constantly hounded by peers and authority figures, never left alone, never left in peace. Life is not so special as to be pursued regardless of cost or quality.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I agree with

Quote:
I agree with everything except that your contribution isn't unique. I think everyone can have a great deal of overlapping, yet still retain a certain unique quality.

Feh.  It's just a language quibble.  Obviously every human is unique.  The odds of two people (not identical twins) randomly stumbling into the exact same genome is vanishingly small.  My point is that we're all humans.  We all zip our pants and button our shirts, and if one person can read, comprehend, and convey an idea, then there's someone else who can.

We can quibble with semantics and say that only Tolstoy could have written War and Peace because only he lived in the unique enviornment possessing the unique brain that led to its conception.  The thing is, that's not the only novel that could have been written, could have been called War and Peace, and could have become famous.  If Dawkins had not written The Selfish Gene, someone else would have.  If Barry Bonds hadn't broken Aaron's record, someone else would have eventually.

On another note, I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to devalue human life or accomplishment.  The fact that someone else could break Aaron's record doesn't detract from the fact that he did.  He deserves the credit (and whatever else he deserves...).  Stephen Hawking is brilliant and deserves accolades for his determination despite living in an incredibly bad situation for many years.

In general, I believe that living is preferable to dying.  In fact, just yesterday, I heard of a friend of a friend who tried to commit suicide after becoming depressed that she's 23 and hasn't had a serious relationship.  Geez...  Talk about short sighted and impulsive.  The thing is, there are two sides to it.  In the broad scheme of things, it honestly doesn't matter if one person commits suicide unless they are in a really prominent position, like president of a country or something.  However, assuming that they have family and friends, everybody who commits suicide causes pain to others, sometimes severe pain.  Losing someone to suicide can cause severe emotional problems in the living, and sometimes, they never go away.

Every action has a reaction, and suicide is no different just because the perpetrator isn't around to see the reaction.  I fully believe that a person who has been miserable and has good reason to believe things will not get better is justified in taking their own life if that's what they feel is best, but it's not like I'm encouraging it.  I think that there are very few situations that really can't get better. 

Books about atheism