Devastating Responses for Creationist Twits

zothique
User is offlineOffline
Devastating Responses for Creationist Twits

In arguing down ignorant creationists, I've noticed that the vast majority of their arguments fall into a very few categories.  There are perhaps six of them.  There are doubtless more than this, but the run of the mill ignorant creationist is only parroting what it perceives as good arguments.  These are going to be warmed-over Hovind, possibly even Ray Comfort.  The challenge sometimes lies in pigeonholing the argument correctly so that you can deliver the appropriate devastating response.

Note that there is no possible argument that christains can make which holds up.  They simply haven't got any, and ultimately, as much as they would like to prevaricate, their pathetic whimperings wither away in the face of overwhelming physical proof.

Some arguments:

* Pascal's Wager.  Even the real idiots come up with this one, and in fact it seems relatively common among them.  The answer to this is to simply ask them what happens if THEY are wrong about Poseidon.  By making this argument, they trap themselves in a very bad spot: there are tens of thousands of little gods and legends, so their possibility of being right is statistically tiny.

Another response is to point out the fact that they are engaging in fear tactics.  Point out that you don't believe in their little hippie god any more than you believe in unicorns.  Ask them if they believe in vampires, or if they think vampires are silly.  Tell them that the reason they don't believe in unicorns and vampires is because there is no physical evidence, no shred of proof, which is precisely why religion is stupid.

* Argument from Superior Numbers:  There are many, many christians.  Therefore they must be right.  Right?

Wrong.  This argument doesn't hold any water at all, for obvious reasons.  Were they right that the world was flat?  Were they right to burn witches at the stake?  Are the pedophile priests right, because there appear to be more of them than non-pedophile priests?  Are catholics right in Rome and Morons right in Provo, Utah?  Does this work by local numerical superiority, and if so, are atheists right in Sweden and Norway?

Could Varg Vikernes sometimes be right?

* Argument from Morality:  There can be no morality without religion, they'll claim.  The answer to this is to simply ask them if they need an imaginary friend to be afraid of to prevent them from killing.  Point out how much this frightens you, and that you don't rape and murder even though you DON'T have an imaginary friend.  Point out how despicable it is that the christian is implying that he would murder without the threat of hell.

What the hell kind of morality is that?

* Argument from Utilitarianism:  It's good to believe in christ because of heaven, or possibly because of TEH AWESOMENESS we get on earth from feeling god's love.  They will often try to guilt-trip you by implying that it's mean to steal peoples' faith away.  The counter-argument to these canards is to simply ask if it's better to believe in Santa Claus.  Or that you have a billion dollars in the bank.  Could you just believe that you are wildly wealthy?  Wouldn't you be happy? 

Problem is, a person can't just adopt a belief in something.  And rational people don't believe things with zero evidence.

* Argument from selective skepticism:  They are much, MUCH too sharp in the head to be deceived by any of this science nonsense.  Evolution is a common one, and there are really too many responses to this (billions upon billions).  Another one is carbon dating, or some obscure point about some backwater of quantum physics or something that the christian has read the wikipedia article on and thinks he's discovered something profound.

Don't be baited.  Point out that they are now trying to assail physics, or geology, or whatever, and that all these fields support each other.  Point out that if they have some new information about how physics is wrong, they should be presenting papers at the National Academy of Science so that they can get the grant money and give it to starving kids in Africa. 

But most importantly, point out that they are operating under a double standard of proof.  THEY ARE THE ONES advancing a collection of some of the most ridiculous propositions ever-- miracles, virgin births, little raped jesus and the Talking Snake. 

Since they refuse to offer any evidence whatsoever for any of this pile of stinking bullshit, and have been unable to obtain any for TWO THOUSAND YEARS, they have no leg to stand on WHATSOEVER when trying to assail fields of science for which there is massive and overwhelming evidence.

Since these dumbfucks will not see reason, just refuse to argue the subject of science at all.  Point out that it has physical evidence for every single point that it makes, and that until they can provide physical evidence for THEIR ridiculous beliefs, they have no business trying to be skeptical about anything at all.

Point out that they belong under lock and key in mental institutions with the other schizophrenics who hear voices.

I'm interested in hearing about any other archetypal arguments that people run into, and devastating responses for them.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I don't quite agree. 

Quote:
I don't quite agree.  I'd type it like this:  "Theism is an expression of delusional disorder."  Or, more accurately:  "Theism can be an expression of delusional disorder."  Clearly not all instances of theism are the same.

Did you really just correct me by saying exactly the same thing I said?  And you're about to say you're not delusional.  That's comedy gold.

Quote:
This doesn't describe my theism.  I'm open to being wrong, and I love to explore new ideas/ways of thinking.

Except that back in the day when you tried to debate me, I demonstrated clearly that your beliefs are irrational, and you still have them.  So... um... gee, that fits the description, doesn't it?

Quote:
Eh, at one point in my life it did, but the fact that I was aged 17-20 must be taken into account.  Virtually everything is carried out to inexplicable extent during those years.  I'm just a semi-regular young adult now who still holds interest in the religion I was brought up in.  Not uncommon.

Quite possible.  If true, then most doctors would say that either you are no longer showing signs of delusional disorder or that the scope of your delusion is small enough that it doesn't have significant impact on your life.  You've been around here long enough to know that many mental disorders are matters of degree, not kind.  That is, we say someone is mentally disordered when their particular problem becomes pronounced enough to cause problems.  If it's not a big problem, we don't mess with it.  That doesn't mean it isn't a problem.

Conditions like delusional disorder are syndromes, not diseases.  That is, they are a list of symptoms, and don't necessarily point to a particular cause.  They can be acute, chronic, genetic, or environmental.

Quote:
I discuss "theism" as openly as I can with anyone who is interested.  The only people I'm elusive toward are my devout family members (and for obvious reasons).

Are you trying to convince me that you don't have delusional disorder?  Fine.  You don't have delusional disorder.  Happy?

Quote:
I have a degree in philosophy, so...I kind of question things a lot.  Especially my own beliefs.

Bless your heart.  Nobody warned you.  I'm so sorry.  Never fear, you can go back for another degree when you figure out what you want to do.

Quote:
Sure, it's completely natural to experience anxiety in these types of situations.  It's called cognitive dissonance, and it certainly isn't localized to theism.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize I said that this only applies to delusional disorder.

Quote:
First you're going to have to define "bizarre" and "abnormal".  These are cultural distinctions, of course, and are not universally applicable.

Just as when you discuss philosophy, you have an amazing talent for answering your own questions and not realizing it.  Bizarre and abnormal apply to behaviors that are far enough from the norm to be significantly disruptive or damaging, accounting for culture.  That is, if you put a Muslim in Montana, you wouldn't say that his habit of bowing three times daily was abnormal or bizarre, but if a Montana farm boy started leaving offerings of burnt corn to the grain silo, that would be bizarre and abnormal.

Quote:
So while you may find it bizarre when I "mutter incantations to the ceiling", it's actually something that lots of people do harmlessly everyday.

Actually, your mutterings would not be considered bizarre and abnormal.  That's culturally normal here.  If you read the indicator again, it says, "If acted out, etc, etc."  This applies specifically to parts of Christianity that you may not specifically believe, like "putting on the armor of faith."  There are Christians who take ten minutes every morning to put on imaginary armor while saying incantations and invoking magical powers.  That's bizarre and abnormal, even in a culture where prayer is acceptable. 

There are Christians who believe that witches should be killed.  (Have you seen the video of the pastor praying over Sarah Palin.  He mentioned witchcraft, and he wasn't kidding.)  That's bizarre and abnormal.  Acting out the belief that abortion is a sin against god often leads to bizarre and abnormal behavior.  There are still exorcisms performed in the U.S.  Some people handle poisonous snakes in church.  Some governors hold prayer meetings to ask god for rain instead of changing water use regulations. 

Quote:
Suicide bombings and such, ok, we can agree on that.  Anytime rights are being infringed upon it's a different story.  But then again, I wouldn't classify such behavior as "bizarre or abnormal".

Um... yeah... you did it again.  In a war, suicide bombing is often normal behavior.  The muslims who commit them consider themselves to be at war, and for all intents and purposes, they are.  It's strategically a pretty good idea when you don't have much in the way of armaments.  If Johnny Joe Schmoe Christian suicide bombs his principle's office because the principle didn't kick gay people out of school, Johnny Joe Schmoe has acted bizarre and abnormal.

Motivation is a big part of behavior.  We can talk about why Muslims are at war, and if it turns out that the primary reason, or even a major reason, is religious beliefs, we can talk about possible delusional disorder.  If it's mainly political or economic, we might not have such a strong case.

Quote:
Yes, true.  But can't the same be said for when you had your atheistic awakening?  Or for when anyone has an "a-ha!" moment?

The same can be said for anybody who gets better after having a mental disorder.  For delusional disorder, we look for behavior changes that don't seem to have a rational explanation outside of the delusion.  If a healthy, thin woman who has always had a healthy appetite suddenly begins to starve herself and skip meals, we look for a possible mental disorder.  If a fat woman who's always eaten very poorly suddenly goes on a diet and starts to exercise, we run with the assumption that she would like to lose weight and be healthier.  That's a behavior change that is usually associated with rational decision making.

Quote:
So on, so forth, et cetera.  There's nothing intrinsically delusional (psychologically) about theism itself, just some of the people who hold it to be true.

Justin, do you know what a syndrome is?

From wiki:

Wiki wrote:
In medicine and psychology, the term syndrome refers to the association of several clinically recognizable features, signs (observed by a physician), symptoms (reported by the patient), phenomena or characteristics that often occur together, so that the presence of one feature alerts the physician to the presence of the others. In recent decades the term has been used outside of medicine to refer to a combination of phenomena seen in association.

A syndrome is a set of symptoms which, taken together, constitute a mental disorder.  When someone displays most, or all, of the symptoms of a syndrome, we say they have it.  If they only display one or two, or only mildly display several, we don't usually mess with them.  Remember that part where most mental conditions are matters of degree, not kind? The eccentric old lady who waters her flowers every day even if it's raining?  She's "eccentric" and "set in her ways."  The lady who goes to the supermarket and rearranges the cans of soup every morning?  She's crazy.  It's not an exact science precisely because there's no clear divide between normal and abnormal behavior.  That doesn't mean, however, that there isn't a difference between abnormal and normal.

To give yourself an idea of how this works, look at this image, and tell me exactly where red ends and orange begins:

Obviously, you can't, but that doesn't mean that red and orange don't exist.  It only means that we have some "disputed area" in between them.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:I

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
I don't quite agree.  I'd type it like this:  "Theism is an expression of delusional disorder."  Or, more accurately:  "Theism can be an expression of delusional disorder."  Clearly not all instances of theism are the same.

Did you really just correct me by saying exactly the same thing I said?  And you're about to say you're not delusional.  That's comedy gold.

No, that's not what happened.  I typed the same words, but I emphasized a different word, hence changing the meaning.  You emphasized "expression", I emphasized "an"--and then added the predicator "can be".  For clarification. 

Quote:
Quote:
This doesn't describe my theism.  I'm open to being wrong, and I love to explore new ideas/ways of thinking.

Except that back in the day when you tried to debate me, I demonstrated clearly that your beliefs are irrational, and you still have them.  So... um... gee, that fits the description, doesn't it?

Sure, I still have my beliefs, but they've changed significantly.  Just because I didn't immediately become an atheist doesn't mean that I haven't grown intellectually. 

Quote:
Quote:
Eh, at one point in my life it did, but the fact that I was aged 17-20 must be taken into account.  Virtually everything is carried out to inexplicable extent during those years.  I'm just a semi-regular young adult now who still holds interest in the religion I was brought up in.  Not uncommon.

Quite possible.  If true, then most doctors would say that either you are no longer showing signs of delusional disorder or that the scope of your delusion is small enough that it doesn't have significant impact on your life.  You've been around here long enough to know that many mental disorders are matters of degree, not kind.  That is, we say someone is mentally disordered when their particular problem becomes pronounced enough to cause problems.  If it's not a big problem, we don't mess with it.  That doesn't mean it isn't a problem.

It's actually uncommon (and bad practice) for a doctor to comment on one's religious beliefs, so I doubt that any legitimate, licensed doctor would say anything either way.  Now if I was cutting myself or obviously harming others as a direct result of my religious beliefs, that would be a different story. 

Quote:
Quote:
I discuss "theism" as openly as I can with anyone who is interested.  The only people I'm elusive toward are my devout family members (and for obvious reasons).

Are you trying to convince me that you don't have delusional disorder?  Fine.  You don't have delusional disorder.  Happy?

I know I don't have delusional disorder--no convincing/reassurance needed. 

Quote:
Quote:
I have a degree in philosophy, so...I kind of question things a lot.  Especially my own beliefs.

Bless your heart.  Nobody warned you.  I'm so sorry.  Never fear, you can go back for another degree when you figure out what you want to do.

Yeah, who knew?  Apparently they weren't hiring philosophers when I graduated, so I indeed went back for something relatively more practical. 

Quote:
Quote:
Sure, it's completely natural to experience anxiety in these types of situations.  It's called cognitive dissonance, and it certainly isn't localized to theism.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize I said that this only applies to delusional disorder.

I know you didn't say it, I was just explicitly stating what we both know--that cognitive dissonance is something that virtually everyone experiences from time to time. 

Quote:
Quote:
First you're going to have to define "bizarre" and "abnormal".  These are cultural distinctions, of course, and are not universally applicable.

Just as when you discuss philosophy, you have an amazing talent for answering your own questions and not realizing it.  Bizarre and abnormal apply to behaviors that are far enough from the norm to be significantly disruptive or damaging, accounting for culture.  That is, if you put a Muslim in Montana, you wouldn't say that his habit of bowing three times daily was abnormal or bizarre, but if a Montana farm boy started leaving offerings of burnt corn to the grain silo, that would be bizarre and abnormal.

I'm with you--

Quote:
Quote:
So while you may find it bizarre when I "mutter incantations to the ceiling", it's actually something that lots of people do harmlessly everyday.

Actually, your mutterings would not be considered bizarre and abnormal.  That's culturally normal here.  If you read the indicator again, it says, "If acted out, etc, etc."  This applies specifically to parts of Christianity that you may not specifically believe, like "putting on the armor of faith."  There are Christians who take ten minutes every morning to put on imaginary armor while saying incantations and invoking magical powers.  That's bizarre and abnormal, even in a culture where prayer is acceptable. 

There are Christians who believe that witches should be killed.  (Have you seen the video of the pastor praying over Sarah Palin.  He mentioned witchcraft, and he wasn't kidding.)  That's bizarre and abnormal.  Acting out the belief that abortion is a sin against god often leads to bizarre and abnormal behavior.  There are still exorcisms performed in the U.S.  Some people handle poisonous snakes in church.  Some governors hold prayer meetings to ask god for rain instead of changing water use regulations.

It isn't abnormal in that pastor's culture, though.  Had Sarah Palin or her pastor said the same thing, then that would be abnormal. 

I'll respond to the rest of the post later, I have to take off in a little bit. 

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:No, that's not what

Quote:
No, that's not what happened.  I typed the same words, but I emphasized a different word, hence changing the meaning.  You emphasized "expression", I emphasized "an"--and then added the predicator "can be".  For clarification.

My choice of words was very precise and literal.  Of course, if theism is an expression of delusional disorder, it can be.  Duh.  The added emphasis on an is unnecessary.  The word means precisely what I intended to say -- that theism is an expression of delusional disorder.  Anyone who knows anything at all about delusional disorder knows that there are other expressions besides theism.  The point of my sentence was to illustrate that theism is not a mental disorder, but an expression of one, so the emphasis was properly placed.  To say that theism is an expression of delusional disorder is NOT saying that the two are equivalent.  In other words, basic logic ought to inform you that the sentence doesn't mean that all theism is always an expression of delusional disorder.  Had I intended to say that, I would have.

It's very telling that you did not significantly alter the meaning of my sentence by rewording it, but were sufficiently uncomfortable with its content that you wanted to soften its implications.  A psychologist would be busy scribbling notes right about now....

So anyway, would you like to try to refute the following sentence, or can we take it as read?  "Theism is an expression of delusional disorder."  It's the same as saying, "Belief in alien abductions is an expression of delusional disorder."  You just got your panties in a bunch because you're a theist.  Notice how one of those sentences looks like it's loaded and the other doesn't?  Funny how our own preconceptions color literal meaning, isn't it?  That's why it's so important to stay emotionally detached from rational discourse.

Quote:
Sure, I still have my beliefs, but they've changed significantly.  Just because I didn't immediately become an atheist doesn't mean that I haven't grown intellectually.

Umm... so you get a cookie because you don't believe in as much delusion as you used to?  If you look back at the color chart I posted for you, you can get an idea of how this works.  Living totally without delusional disorder will be red.  Living in total fantasyland will be yellow.  You're somewhere in orange now.  Good work.  You're almost better, but you've still got some work to do.

Quote:
It's actually uncommon (and bad practice) for a doctor to comment on one's religious beliefs, so I doubt that any legitimate, licensed doctor would say anything either way.  Now if I was cutting myself or obviously harming others as a direct result of my religious beliefs, that would be a different story.

Did we just ignore everything that was said earlier about the political implications of acknowledging theism as an expression of delusional disorder?  Remember how back in the 80s doctors lied quite deliberately about AIDS because of the political implications of the truth?  Does that mean AIDS was not a disease affecting the heterosexual population, or that doctors aren't totally trustworthy when politics are involved?

Here's what I said:  "If true, then most doctors would say..."  If it makes it easier to understand, I'll rewrite the sentence with the obvious inference.  "If true, then most doctors would say... IF they were treating any expression of delusional disorder other than theism."

By the way, it's only bad practice to comment on religious beliefs because... um... why is that again?  Oh yeah!  Because people get really offended when their religious beliefs are criticized or critiqued.  Wasn't that one of the indicators of delusional disorder?

Thanks for pwning yourself again.

Quote:

[Bites tongue]

Of course, not.  You're just fine.  No need to worry.

Quote:
Yeah, who knew?  Apparently they weren't hiring philosophers when I graduated, so I indeed went back for something relatively more practical.

Typical of someone with delusional disorder, your logic skills work just fine outside of the delusion.  Crazy how that works, isn't it?  (Pun intended.)

Quote:
I know you didn't say it, I was just explicitly stating what we both know--that cognitive dissonance is something that virtually everyone experiences from time to time.

And the Oscar for Best Use of an Unrelated Tangent goes to...

Quote:
It isn't abnormal in that pastor's culture, though.  Had Sarah Palin or her pastor said the same thing, then that would be abnormal.

So you're going to redefine culture such that any abnormal behavior can be construed as normal so long as you can find someone else who does it?  That's one of the best logical somersaults you've done in some time.  I've forgotten how much fun it is to argue with you.

Anyway, I'm sorry, but you don't get to just make up the criteria for abnormal or bizarre behavior, and you don't get to redefine culture such that a single church congregation is a culture.  It's certainly true that abnormality is a contentious issue, even in the discipline named after it (abnormal psych).  However, if you remember that mental disorders are like colors on a spectrum, it'll be easier to understand.

The fact is, we have a nomenclature for maladaptive mental states... we call them "mental disorders."  Because mental disorders are matters of degree in many cases, there's a lot of wiggle room around the edges.  However, the plain reality is that theists, when they hold strongly or literally to their beliefs, fit all or most of the criteria for delusional disorder as it is described in the DSM that you believe in so strongly.  We can dicker about the fringes if you like, and I'll be perfectly happy to say that very moderate theists don't display enough symptoms to warrant diagnosis.  However, by any objectively and consistently used standard, strong theism is an expression of delusional disorder.

From here, you can:

A) Admit that consistent application of the DSM makes theism an expression of delusional disorder

B) Refute the DSM, which destroys that whole support for your own argument

C) Rationally justify the exclusion of theism from consideration as DD despite the fact that it fits all the criteria

D) Continue to give me bogus arguments and red herrings.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I don't think anybody's in

I don't think anybody's in the red...

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:I

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

[Bites tongue]

{snickers}

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:Wow. This

deludedgod wrote:

Wow. This thread has veered off topic significantly. Can't you people survive a few hours without me?

Delusions of Grandeur

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Me GOD laughs ....

Me GOD laughs ....

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote:Hambydammit

aiia wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

[Bites tongue]

{snickers}

?

Snicker

I'm suddenly really hungry. PacMan