If the world could vote...

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
If the world could vote...

A great website idea that a friend of mine linked to from his blog...

From the website:

Quote:
November 4th 2008 the American people will choose a new president. The president of the United States of America is the most powerful person in the world.

We would like to know who would be the next president of the United States of America - if the world could vote!

In the presidential election in 2004 122,267,553 people voted. 6,500,000,000 people did not.

Our mission is to get more people to vote than voted in the last election. Mission impossible, we know, but still, wouldn't it be great to see what the whole world thinks?

If we are to have any chance of reaching that goal we need your help. Tell all your friends around the world about iftheworldcouldvote.com. You can send them email, share it on Facebook (we also have a group you can join), digg it, reddit, save to delicious ... Or all of it. So go ahead. Let's see who would be the next president of the United States of America - if the world could vote Eye-wink

So you can vote for Obama or McCain (once per computer) and see a map of the world showing the distribution of votes.

Obviously this is not a very realistic depiction of the world opinion, but it's better than nothing, and I for one like the idea of the project.

So just to get the word out, I will do my part here to get people interested in the site.

I encourage everyone here (including the Americans) to go vote, and much more importantly, to spread the word about the website to as many people as they can, so that it will have gotten as many votes as possible on November 4th.

On the site FAQ it says that it is three guys from Iceland that's started the site, and the following important point:

Quote:
Do you really think the world should be able to vote?

No i don't! The United States of America is an independent country. The website focuses on what would happen IF the world could vote. And lets not forget, we are only doing this for fun. Just to get the worlds opinion.

And finally, and most importantly: here is the link:

http://iftheworldcouldvote.com/

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
Interesting i like it!

Interesting i like it!

enzoconti
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Interesting Idea!

Nikolaj I share your curiosity on this, I think it's a great idea. I'll cast my vote and keep myself posted.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Thanks NiK. It really is a

Thanks Nik. It really is a sad reality that my american working poor capable don't much vote, those that would benefit the most. I find appalling that our government doesn't much encourage voting and even mandate it.

Without getting into the details I think, like a draft law, all mentally eligible, as proven by some required test of understanding the issues,  should have to vote. I think this should be part of basic schooling. The current system is so fucked up, as is the 2 party system and non mutiple chioce voting option. WTF ???   

enzoconti
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Not so fast.

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Thanks Nik. It really is a sad reality that my american working poor capable don't much vote, those that would benefit the most. I find appalling that our government doesn't much encourage voting and even mandate it.

Without getting into the details I think, like a draft law, all mentally eligible, as proven by some required test of understanding the issues,  should have to vote. I think this should be part of basic schooling. The current system is so fucked up, as is the 2 party system and non mutiple chioce voting option. WTF ???   

We have compulsory voting in Australia, you only end up making idiots vote when they otherwise might not have. There is a lot more value in an educated vote, than just a stab in the dark!

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I argee enz, as I said ,

I argee enz, as I said , "some required test of understanding the issues ...."

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Seems overwhelming for Obama

Seems overwhelming for Obama except in some countries (which seem to be mainly fucked up countries. )

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
enzoconti wrote:I AM GOD AS

enzoconti wrote:

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

We have compulsory voting in Australia, you only end up making idiots vote when they otherwise might not have. There is a lot more value in an educated vote, than just a stab in the dark!

In the UK we have compulsory electoral registration, but you don't have to turn out to vote if you don't want.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'd rather not have the

I'd rather not have the fucktards vote. Could you imagine GWB possibly winning if stupid people didn't vote?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Looks like Obama is doing

Looks like Obama is doing pretty well still.  Do you think it is purely so that there's no chance Sarah Palin could ever take the reigns?

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's already enough

There's already enough clueless backwards-arsed fucktards voting.  They get rallied together and in to voting by their church/fundy groups, even if these groups don't specifically say which candidate to vote for.  The biggest problem is those who are apathetic then sit back and whinge about it later.  You may be just one person, alone your vote may not make a difference, but there's thousands if not hundreds of thousands if not millions who are stupid enough to think along the same lines.  If all of the "single" people whose "single vote won't count" actually did vote, it would no longer be a single vote.  It would be a huge affecting vote.  And don't give me that pathetic excuse that you don't positively give 100% support to either candidate, many a time giving your support to the lesser of two evils is very important.

I've said it before on this site and I'll waste my breath (pixels?) and say it agian.  If you don't vote then you are just as much to blame for the way things turn out than those who voted for the person you don't like.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
What if you vote against

What if you vote against your will, and win, and the person who gets in is complete shit as well, as you knew he would be.  Then are you allowed to whine?

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes.  At least you did

Yes.  At least you did SOMETHING and kept the worse of them out.  At least you made a stand of some type, took action of some type.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hope McCain looks at this

I hope McCain looks at this website and enjoys the 100% support he's getting from Burkina Faso and Macedonia Smiling 

By this logic, if American president is the president of everyone, then all the world should vote and maybe nominate him. (or her, if the world wants)
This is a good project out there, the poor people must be given a voice, otherwise their rights are ignored. Such a voting is eloquent in how would McCain be favored by the rest of world, if he would ever win. The world wants B. Hussein Obama, a lot of fucktards everywhere were cured by the era of a Republican terrorist, shouting "catch the terrorist!".

MattShizzle wrote:

I'd rather not have the fucktards vote. Could you imagine GWB possibly winning if stupid people didn't vote?

Yes - if the fucktards wouldn't vote, then it would be much harder for Bush to hide his treachery with dogtored voting machines and an unjust court case, which both gave him his victories.

I hope now people are loud enough to keep such people away from any important chairs. Maybe, one day, Bush in the brig for war crimes would be a nice christmas gift to the world, but I don't insist on that any soon, sharing of the world resources is more urgent than that.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:Yes.  At least

thingy wrote:

Yes.  At least you did SOMETHING and kept the worse of them out.  At least you made a stand of some type, took action of some type.

Or voted the worst of them in...

Voter:  "You're the shittiest President I've ever seen!  You can't do anything right!"

President:  "Will you vote for me again?"

Voter: "Absolutely!"

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Before we all get too

Before we all get too excited about this site, we should note that the U.S, according to the site, favours Obama heavily. This is not what the official poles out of the U.S. are saying, and it's therefore a good indicator that this site is not an official pole, and therefore should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt.

I still like the idea, and the more people go vote there, the more likely it is to show something closer to the truth, but for now, we must assume that the site is most known among Obama supporters around the world, since they are probably the people who are most interested in knowing what the world thinks about this election.

So to all our American friends on the RRS: go tell your republican friends, family and collegues about this site, so they can go vote for McCain, thus making the site show a number from U.S more resembling the official poles.

The site may be a fun idea, but it won't be much use, if only Obama supporters around the world know about it.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Solid points, all,

Solid points, all, nikolaj.  Personally, it scares the crap out of me how many people in America like McCain.  There was an article in the news yesterday about how it's actually somewhat likely that there will be a fucking tie in the electoral college.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:There's already

thingy wrote:

There's already enough clueless backwards-arsed fucktards voting.  They get rallied together and in to voting by their church/fundy groups, even if these groups don't specifically say which candidate to vote for.  The biggest problem is those who are apathetic then sit back and whinge about it later.  You may be just one person, alone your vote may not make a difference, but there's thousands if not hundreds of thousands if not millions who are stupid enough to think along the same lines.  If all of the "single" people whose "single vote won't count" actually did vote, it would no longer be a single vote.  It would be a huge affecting vote.  And don't give me that pathetic excuse that you don't positively give 100% support to either candidate, many a time giving your support to the lesser of two evils is very important.

I've said it before on this site and I'll waste my breath (pixels?) and say it agian.  If you don't vote then you are just as much to blame for the way things turn out than those who voted for the person you don't like.

Voting for one of two asses does not a responsible voter make, nor necessarily does it make any difference at all. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The sheer number of arguments I can bring against this suggestion is mind boggling. And the suggestion pisses me off more every time I hear it. If someone isn't up to date on electoral issues and electoral candidates, then they should not vote. If someone doesn't know who to vote for, then they should not vote. If someone is equally bothered by all possible candidates, then someone should not vote. Bringing ignorance or stubborn stupidity into an election hardly makes an election better. It makes it much, much worse.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
phooney wrote:thingy

phooney wrote:

thingy wrote:

Or voted the worst of them in...

Voter:  "You're the shittiest President I've ever seen!  You can't do anything right!"

President:  "Will you vote for me again?"

Voter: "Absolutely!"

Yes, that is right.  That is exactly what I'm saying and have been all along.  I have been telling people to vote for the worst person continually through thick or thin.  I have been telling people that it's better to vote for the worse person than whinging about the lesser not getting in when they didn't vote at all.

Tell you what, when you decide to stop being an idiot about it I'll continue this conversation.

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Voting for one

Vastet wrote:
Voting for one of two asses does not a responsible voter make, nor necessarily does it make any difference at all. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The sheer number of arguments I can bring against this suggestion is mind boggling. And the suggestion pisses me off more every time I hear it. If someone isn't up to date on electoral issues and electoral candidates, then they should not vote. If someone doesn't know who to vote for, then they should not vote. If someone is equally bothered by all possible candidates, then someone should not vote. Bringing ignorance or stubborn stupidity into an election hardly makes an election better. It makes it much, much worse.

Nice bastardisation of what I've said.  How often, if ever, has it been cases of two mirror idiots?  Two people with the exact same policies and thoughts on everything running against eachother.  Even if they're the same in some ways it's never in all ways.  If you don't vote you are just leaving it in everyone elses hands and for all you've done you may as well have voted for the person who got in.  If that person is the person you'd prefer out of the available options to get in over the other options then all well and good, you've done as much as you can without getting in to politics.  If it isn't the person you'd prefer out of the available options you've only got yourself to blame for your decision to not take part.  You may be limited in what you as an individual can do to set and affect policies, but voting is one area where you're not limited in any way shape or form.

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Or you could chill out a

Or you could chill out a bit, that'd be nice.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:Vastet

thingy wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Nice bastardisation of what I've said. 

Nothing of the kind.

thingy wrote:
 How often, if ever, has it been cases of two mirror idiots?  Two people with the exact same policies and thoughts on everything running against eachother.

I never suggested that this ever happened(though I wouldn't be surprised if it had at least once). And it doesn't need to happen. Two people can have polar opposites in view points yet be equally harmful to a nation and its people.

thingy wrote:
  Even if they're the same in some ways it's never in all ways. 

Doesn't have to be.

thingy wrote:
 If you don't vote you are just leaving it in everyone elses hands and for all you've done you may as well have voted for the person who got in. 

No, if you vote for an idiot then you voted for an idiot. What does it matter which idiot it was? It doesn't matter. If there is a significant difference, then fine. But that doesn't always happen.

thingy wrote:
 If that person is the person you'd prefer out of the available options to get in over the other options then all well and good, you've done as much as you can without getting in to politics.  If it isn't the person you'd prefer out of the available options you've only got yourself to blame for your decision to not take part.  You may be limited in what you as an individual can do to set and affect policies, but voting is one area where you're not limited in any way shape or form.

You are very much limitted. Your name isn't on the ballot. Your friends name isn't on the ballot. Sure, you in the states can write in(like that's ever going to happen), but that's not an option in some countries.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:No, if you vote for

Quote:
No, if you vote for an idiot then you voted for an idiot. What does it matter which idiot it was? It doesn't matter. If there is a significant difference, then fine. But that doesn't always happen.

Vastet, do you believe there's a significant difference for the future of America between electing Obama/Biden and McCain/Palin?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism