Bird-like dinosaur unearthed... transitional creature anyone?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bird-like dinosaur unearthed... transitional creature anyone?

Article HERE

Quote:
Scientists have unearthed the remains of a large carnivorous dinosaur that breathed like a bird.

The discovery adds to the link between birds and dinosaurs and helps to explain the evolution of birds' unique system of breathing.

As if we needed any more evidence, here's yet another example of creationists' hopeless fight against the notion of "transitional creatures."  In case you didn't click the link, this was a 33 foot long two legged predator that probably had feathers.  How's that for a visual image?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Meh. If someone were to one

Meh. If someone were to one day extract a fruking crockoduck fossil from the earth, Ray would just throw that picture away and argue there's no crocodiluk or crockuck transitional forms. There's no winning with creationists with logic or evidence.

This new fossil is really cool, though. When my childhood learnings about the "extinction" of the dinosaurs was first challenged by a better understanding of evolution, I became a bit enamored with the idea of birds having their gene roots in the terrible lizards of old, likely because I had budgies at the time and could annoy the crap out of my roommate by referring to them as my tiny dinosaurs. So, every bit of evidence that seems to confirm this idea makes me all giggly.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hey GOD, I feel cheated

Hey GOD, I feel cheated ...  no wings, no gills ... you god doesn't give a fuck about us. You God sucks, so WE had to create airplanes and scuba stuff .... gezzz, what a fucked up god creator of everything  ..... Idiot GOD of Abe , fuck you .... I don't worship you Devil .... go away, back from where you came, leave me alone, you mean old retarded jerk.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Article

Hambydammit wrote:

Article HERE

Quote:
Scientists have unearthed the remains of a large carnivorous dinosaur that breathed like a bird.

The discovery adds to the link between birds and dinosaurs and helps to explain the evolution of birds' unique system of breathing.

As if we needed any more evidence, here's yet another example of creationists' hopeless fight against the notion of "transitional creatures."  In case you didn't click the link, this was a 33 foot long two legged predator that probably had feathers.  How's that for a visual image?

It's suspected that all the dinosaurs of the coelurosaur line had feathers.  (T. rex was a coelurosaur.) I imagine the really big ones might have had feathers as youngsters and then lost them as they grew larger.  That much insulation isn't needed if you're really, really big.  The biggest mammals don't have much hair.  Of course, I'm just guessing.

Want to check out a really cool feathered dinosaur?  Google Microraptor.  I'm in the middle of drawing one in full color, but in lieu of that I give you this Utahraptor. Smiling

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

ymalmsteen887
User is offlineOffline
How do they know how the

How do they know how the dinosuar breathed if all they have is the fossil what evidence or reason do they have.

ymalmsteen887
User is offlineOffline
Also did Jurassic Park

Also did Jurassic Park accurately represent the dinosaurs based on contemparary knowledge I read somewhere that trex had feathers on its face.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
ymalmsteen887 wrote:How do

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

How do they know how the dinosuar breathed if all they have is the fossil what evidence or reason do they have.

They have the skull - with the shape of the nostrils and sinus cavity there to see, measure and compare.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
ymalmsteen887 wrote:Also did

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

Also did Jurassic Park accurately represent the dinosaurs based on contemparary knowledge I read somewhere that trex had feathers on its face.

Jurassic Park was not too awful bad given what they knew at the time the movie was made.

After the movie was made, China opened some of its paleological research areas, particularly an ancient lake that has since dried up in or near Mongolia.  The sands around this lake are very fine and pile up in huge sand dunes.  Since the lake was a consistent source of water, reptiles, dinosaurs and early birds would nest there.  The sand dunes would occasionally collapse, burying the creature in this powdery sand.  With the result that they have found wonderfully preserved fossils - with feather and proto-feather impressions.  See Feathered Dinosaurs: the Origin of Birds by John Long and Peter Schouten.  Easy to read, gorgeous pictures.

http://www.amazon.com/Feathered-Dinosaurs-Origin-John-Long/dp/0195372662/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297529050&sr=1-4

edit: better url

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.