Calling all clever people

calvin396
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Calling all clever people

Hi

I just got off QRA (Quick Reaction Force) and I spent a lot of time chatting to a Evangelical and every time we talked about anything to do with evolution he would just keep saying it is not proven. I myself know that evolution is a fact as I spent a lot of time looking into it. But is there a quick example to use for a creationist which I can give so he can't say "I don't think that is true"

Or is it just plain intellectual ignorance which can never be proven in there eyes.

PS please excuse my spelling. I'm very drunk

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
it's what I call

Ignorance, plain and simple, evolution has so much evidence behind it, it's something creationlists/ID/etc, etc, etc wish they had. They have to give you the evidence to show that it is not proven, how is it NOT proven true, since all the facts, evidence and testing proves it true....unlike saying god is real and true, you have to provide the evidence, which there is evidence abound that evolution is true.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
calvin396 wrote:HiI just got

calvin396 wrote:

Hi

I just got off QRA (Quick Reaction Force) and I spent a lot of time chatting to a Evangelical and every time we talked about anything to do with evolution he would just keep saying it is not proven. I myself know that evolution is a fact as I spent a lot of time looking into it. But is there a quick example to use for a creationist which I can give so he can't say "I don't think that is true"

The influenza virus. It mutates every few hosts and strains that are beaten, die out making natural selection evident.

Smallpox does not mutate as quickly, thus the reason we have been able to virtually eradicate it.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
The fusion of Chromosome 2

The fusion of Chromosome 2 (google it) is a fascinating proof that the theory of evolution makes accurate predictions about the fact that humans share a common ancestor with chimps. Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes, chimps have 24. Evolution predicted that since we share a common ancestor, we should find that one of our human chromosomes is comprised of two previously separate chromosomes that have been fused together. We could not test this prediction until we sequenced the human genome. When we did, we found that our Chromosome #2 contains evidence of it being a fused version of two chromosomes found in chimps (i.e. our common ancestor had 2, and in the human line, these 2 were fused into 1).

The evidence is pretty remarkably irrefutable. I've never seen any attempt by IDiots to explain away this prediction.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Know the law,  Evolution ,

Know the law,  Evolution , the Big Bang. Theory in science just means we are working on the details .... The ToE, and BB are LAW ..... all science begins and continues as hypothethis and theory, and all science is put thru the wringer of testing .... Religion is not testable, and always make believe ..... Science studies gawed, Religion makes god shit up ....   

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:... we talked about

Quote:

... we talked about anything to do with evolution he would just keep saying it is not proven.

My advice to people who say this is to go off and learn english before trying to further debate the issue.

Evolution is a scientific theory constructed from proofs. If they don't know what that means then it's probably just as well for them that they have a fairy tale version to fall back on. When brain cells are in such short supply it would be a shame to risk injuring any of them with having to think overmuch.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:The fusion of

natural wrote:

The fusion of Chromosome 2 (google it) is a fascinating proof that the theory of evolution makes accurate predictions about the fact that humans share a common ancestor with chimps. Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes, chimps have 24. Evolution predicted that since we share a common ancestor, we should find that one of our human chromosomes is comprised of two previously separate chromosomes that have been fused together. We could not test this prediction until we sequenced the human genome. When we did, we found that our Chromosome #2 contains evidence of it being a fused version of two chromosomes found in chimps (i.e. our common ancestor had 2, and in the human line, these 2 were fused into 1).

The evidence is pretty remarkably irrefutable. I've never seen any attempt by IDiots to explain away this prediction.

Here is a superb lecture by Catholic (I think, Christian at least for sure) biologist Ken Miller http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVRsWAjvQSg

It describes that fusion that Natural mentions above, as well as mentions whale evolution if I recall correctly.  It's 2 hours long, but with these two examples alone gives specific references to lines of evidence from geology/fossils, and molecular biology.