Computer simulates how evolution can create complex "organisims"

ryandinan
User is offlineOffline
Computer simulates how evolution can create complex "organisims"

www.youtube.com/watch

I thought this video was absoultely fascinating... 

After reading a bit of Richard Dawkin's "The Blind Watchmaker", I was amazed at how evolutionary "mechanics", for lack of a better tem, was put to use to solve some real-world engineering problems.

One such example Dawkins gave, was to imagine a periphery of points (say 16 or so).  These could represent gas stations.  In the center, is a main distribution point.  The problem, is how to best solve how to get fuel from the center point to the 16 periphery points.  The most obvious solution, is to draw 16 "spokes" to each station.  However, this is not the best solution, as the amount of "pipe" needed is high, as well as the amount of back pressure created.

Through evolutionary principles, the computer simulation's solution to this problem was to create several larger branches originating from the hub (say 3) - those would branch off into a couple more smaller branches... and finally, those would branch off into a few more smaller, shorter branches.  The result, looked amazingly similar to the blood vessels found in the large intestine, or the bronchioles of the lungs.

In a similar example, the above link shows how a computer simulation using evolutionary principles, was able to create a very accurate, fully functioning clock (several, actually), which was completely non-directed.  This argument, that a watch "must" have a designer, is one of the largest staw-man arguments Creationists will throw out as "proof" of intelligent design.  I think it's an amazing proof of concept... Please comment on what you think!!

-Ryan

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Link's bad.

Link's bad. Sad

LovE-RicH
LovE-RicH's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is the correct

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
LovE-RicH wrote:Yes, this is

LovE-RicH wrote:
Yes, this is the link Smiling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcAq9bmCeR0

Was a thing of beauty. I love seeing creationists handed thier butts like that.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

ryandinan
User is offlineOffline
Sorry about the link - I'll

Sorry about the link - I'll try to fix it, that way people don't have to scroll down to find it... my bad!

ryandinan
User is offlineOffline
Strange... for some reason I

Strange... for some reason I have no option to edit it... I can edit my previous reply though.  It must be some time limit threshold?

EDIT:

Nope - it looks like you can only edit your last post.  That's a bit weird...

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not a big deal, just have to

Not a big deal, just have to get used to it. I think moderators are the only ones who can modify a post that isn't the most recent. On a debate site, that can be really important. You could spend 20 minutes writing a perfect response to something only to find it had been altered before you posted, which meant most or all of your work was for nothing.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I think you can edit older

I think you can edit older posts, but not if it's the original post. You can't edit the original even the second after you posted it.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

ryandinan
User is offlineOffline
Hmm, maybe you have to have

Hmm, maybe you have to have a certain amount of points?  All my previous posts just have a "reply" and "quote" option.  This one will have "edit" until I post something after it...

No biggie, unless a moderator can't repair my crap link Eye-wink

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
ryandinan wrote:Hmm, maybe

ryandinan wrote:

Hmm, maybe you have to have a certain amount of points?  All my previous posts just have a "reply" and "quote" option.  This one will have "edit" until I post something after it...

A post gets the edit option removed if someone replies to it or quotes it.

You should, however, still be able to edit your original post without regard to its being quoted or replied to, but the edit option is a tab above the post. This blog/forum software is a bit odd.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

ryandinan
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:ryandinan

JillSwift wrote:

ryandinan wrote:

A post gets the edit option removed if someone replies to it or quotes it.

You should, however, still be able to edit your original post without regard to its being quoted or replied to, but the edit option is a tab above the post. This blog/forum software is a bit odd.

I see no edit option above the post either...  Maybe its' because I'm using Firefox on a MAC?