Letting go liberal guilt, embracing liberal elitism.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Letting go liberal guilt, embracing liberal elitism.

In this article recently posted elsewhere on the site regarding the psychology of the conservative voter, a reply by Sam Harris summarizes a moral thought experiment conducted on left and right wing voters. Participants were given the old dilemma of whether to kill one person to save a hundred elsewhere. Hints were dropped as to the ethnicity of the hundred people to be saved, and it was shown that (presumably white) liberals were more likely to sacrifice white people to save non-whites, but not vice-versa; while conservatives showed no preference. Perhaps the liberals were moral relativists, and felt that whites would share their own perspectives on self-sacrifice, whereas it would be an imposition on another culture (assuming the non-whites in question are culturally different). Or perhaps the liberals were just scared to make a presumption on another race; one more slight, however rhetorical, in a long series of slights against the brown people by the whites. As much as I'm in agreement with the idea that much of white western civilization should make an effort to learn from its long and ugly history of aggression toward much of the world, this sort of knee-jerk self-effacement only weakens all us liberals in the eyes of the real monsters, the conservatives. Throw away your Dalai Llama posters, and stop apologizing like it helps anything.

The United States is better because of liberal progress; it's stronger because pluralism inspires greater unity than forced assimilation and racial stratification. Because gender equality doubles active participation and inclusion. If it wasn't for us, this country would have collapsed under its own benighted idiocy. We are the only line of defense. While we may not get everything right, we're at least willing to try to pull this country forward, rather than into the Lovecraftian depths.

BE PROUD. NO APOLOGIES.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:Throw away

magilum wrote:

Throw away your Dalai Llama posters, and stop apologizing like it helps anything.

a-fucking-men.  the dalai lama is nothing more than a media whore who wants to get back to tibet where he'll be worshipped like a god.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
I pity the fool that talks

I pity the fool that talks shit about the Dalai Llama! Seriously though, elitism is a good thing. I want my leaders to be elite...ie the best at their job. I don't want a regular guy that I can drink a beer with and that can clear brush. If we wanted gardeners to run our country we would elect them, obviously we don't. Elitism is good, plutocratic psuedointellectuals that erroneously claim to be on the side of the little guy while promoting economic policies that do anything but favor the middle class and below is the way of the plutocrat, ie...the wealthy conservative.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda