Our government is about to be usurped.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Our government is about to be usurped.

...If you didn't already know, Stephen Harper, the current Prime Minister of Canada, recently passed a law to enact a fixed election date every four years, and then immediately broke his own law and called an election.

Yup. Everyone has to play by the rules except the holy-rollin' Conservatives, of course.

What he has effectively done is ensured his place in power for four more full years (I'll place a gentleman's bet with absolutely anyone, right now, that he'll pull away with a majority. Why? Because he'll just fucking cheat. Hell, I'll wager wearing the troll avatar for six months to anyone who wants to take me on).

Fellow Canadians: Be prepared to live in a police state in the next year or so.

American neighbors: If Palin should happen to win your election (which is becoming more and more likely), I would recommend your exodus be directed southward rather than northward.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
How will Harper cheat? I

How will Harper cheat? I don't really think he needs to cheat quite frankly.

Quote:

Stephen Harper, the current Prime Minister of Canada, recently passed a law to enact a fixed election date every four years

I've never heard of this. link?

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:American

Kevin R Brown wrote:

American neighbors: If Palin should happen to win your election (which is becoming more and more likely), I would recommend your exodus be directed southward rather than northward.

How do we know this isn't just a trick to keep us from fleeing there if the worst comes to pass here?

Besides, Alaska is closer to you people. Don't you think we blame you for not filtering out Palin?

The only thing I'll ever miss about the concept of borders will be picking on Canadians. lol.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:Kevin R

darth_josh wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

How do we know this isn't just a trick to keep us from fleeing there if the worst comes to pass here?

Besides, Alaska is closer to you people. Don't you think we blame you for not filtering out Palin?

The only thing I'll ever miss about the concept of borders will be picking on Canadians. lol.

Don't worry Darth, it's only a matter of time before our glorious comrade Harper extends his iron first to the south.

Next time Harper goes to the White house it won't be for lumber tariff negotiations.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

darth_josh wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Don't worry Darth, it's only a matter of time before our glorious comrade Harper extends his iron first to the south.

Next time Harper goes to the White house it won't be for lumber tariff negotiations.

Maybe he'll get the military to saddle up, grab the muskets and invade the upper peninsula of Michigan to protect the ethnic separatists there?

Oh wait. Then he'd have to spend more than 1.1% of his GDP on the military.

We might as well get it over with and annex Canada if you're heading towards being just like us.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Polls

Already indicate he has a majority of voters, and why is that, well the liberals have this whole carbon tax idea, not a plan, but an idea that they want to implement but it's a work in progress. Part of the problem is businesses have to pay more for vehicles, but get discounts if they buy environmentally friendly vehicles, which in my case ain't happening because they don't make hybrid trucks that can pull the weight I need to pull, so I would be stuck paying more, as well they don't exactly state what is environmentally friendly vehicles and there aren't enough alternatives really. So pay more for gas with this tax, more for vehicle registration, more for various other products, when I am already stretched out for money at the business end. No I don't think I can vote liberals. The NDP's really don't have a chance nor does the Green party, the PQ ain't going to get in EVER. So what's left the Tories.

The liberals more or less have lost the West with this Carbon Tax scheme. BC already has a provincial Carbon tax, now they want to add a federal tax, Alberta would be heavily taxed because of the oil sands and those companies would be taxed far too much for them to vote liberal, same goes for Saskatchewan. Oh with that said Newfoundland would be taxed heavily because they are now investing alot into offshore drilling. The Tories aren't getting a Majority by stealing it, they are getting it because the liberals are out of touch with reality at this moment in time. Want to help with pollution, get Canada to start investing into alternative fuels.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh Canada!!!!

The only sane rational choise is Steve Harper,   liberals are out of touch,   NDP stands for No Damn Party and always has.

Kevin R. Brown eather your studying to be a drama queen or your off your meds.  You must be the only resident of Alberta who isn't a Conservitive backer.

Relax America the latest polls  show Harper with a clean majority,  and that's a  good thing.

cpt__pineapple is just being  cpt__pineapple so take her worries with a grain of salt.  All hail to Latincanuck and other  well informed voters of Canada.  My ridding is Brampton-South what is yours?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brampton something

Queen and Central beside the old peel memorial hospital, I think that's brampton west.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
correction

that ridding should be  Mississauga-Brampton South.

Our local guy is in hot water with both the Conservatives and Liberals for nameing himself on a "special edition" info flyer has  -- Singh Bains  P.C., M.P.---  He is a Liberal but that P.C. claim could leave voters thinking he is with Harper.

He claims it is not deception,  it means  Privy Council not Progressive Conservative.  All other Liberals with a P.C. designation, deliberatly leave it OFF their names so that they do NOT get confused with Conservatives.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:      

Jeffrick wrote:
       Relax America the latest polls  show Harper with a clean majority,  and that's a  good thing.

WTF? A Harper majority gov't would be a disaster for Canada in the vein of George W. Bush. The only sane thing to do is vote against the Conservatives so that they remain a minority gov't at best. We know they're going to win, so let's minimize the damage.

Anybody but Conservative.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have to get some more time

I have to get some more time to listen all the arguements, I don't personally like the way the fight for the election is going, way to much childish behavior on everyone's part, Harper attacking the liberals in childish ways (the puffin thing) and appeals to emotions without actually telling us what he plans to do, the liberals with their green shift plan and crying foul all the time, the NDP with their we are better than everyone else, but still no plans then off course the green party, but I think they have a legitimate reason to be pissed off, with the NDP and the Tories saying they won't debate if the green party is involved, fucking childish I tell ya. Fuck them get the green party to debate and leave the NDP and Tories out.

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

The only sane rational choise is Steve Harper,   liberals are out of touch,   NDP stands for No Damn Party and always has.

Kevin R. Brown eather your studying to be a drama queen or your off your meds.  You must be the only resident of Alberta who isn't a Conservitive backer.

cpt__pineapple is just being  cpt__pineapple so take her worries with a grain of salt.  All hail to Latincanuck and other  well informed voters of Canada.  My ridding is Brampton-South what is yours?

I live in Harper's riding and I will be not be voting Conservative. Even if I totally agreed with their platform, I still wouldn't vote for them because of the way they are Americanizing our electoral process. I will probably vote Liberal this election.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:Jeffrick

natural wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

WTF? A Harper majority gov't would be a disaster for Canada in the vein of George W. Bush. The only sane thing to do is vote against the Conservatives so that they remain a minority gov't at best. We know they're going to win, so let's minimize the damage.

Anybody but Conservative.

Since when will the tories get our army to invade another country? Fuck they can't get our guys out of the place they are now, forget transporting them somewhere else to fight for lies. The tories won't do shit, they will continue to do what they have been so far and so far it hasn't been that bad, our economy isn't as bad as the US, we are still strong (ok except Ontario but that the limited vision problem not the tories, manufactures should have upgraded their places when they saw the possiblity of the big 3 no longer being the big 3)

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:...If

Kevin R Brown wrote:

...If you didn't already know, Stephen Harper, the current Prime Minister of Canada, recently passed a law to enact a fixed election date every four years, and then immediately broke his own law and called an election.

He did break his own proposed law (it's not law yet).  He very badly wants a majority and it's likely he'll get it too.  Of course, he had to break his own law.  Not only was this the perfect time for him, the way parliament has been proceeding his government would never have been defeated.  (You do know Kevin that if his government had been defeated we would be in an election regardless of the new law.)  The way he's been footing bills and having confidence votes on practically everything has ensured that the Liberals and Bloc, weakened as they are, support Harper's government.  In fact, in practise the Harper government was a majority due to the way he extended the 'whip'.

Quote:
Yup. Everyone has to play by the rules except the holy-rollin' Conservatives, of course.
And the Liberals.  Since both have formed the only governments I suppose we should say that no Canadian Government plays by the rules... but they do. Elections are traditionally called once every four years and a government cannot last longer than five years between elections and the ruling government can ask for an election at any time.  Both the Liberals and Conservatives abide by these 'rules' and look, we're having an election.  Yeah, Harper might look like an ass for tabling legislation that he's contradicting, but he's playing by the rules.

Quote:
What he has effectively done is ensured his place in power for four more full years (I'll place a gentleman's bet with absolutely anyone, right now, that he'll pull away with a majority.
Yup.  He has secured himself such a position.  The Conservatives are well on their way to a majority, but a minority would still be a majority for Harper and I think we both know he'd take either and run with it.

Quote:
Why? Because he'll just fucking cheat. Hell, I'll wager wearing the troll avatar for six months to anyone who wants to take me on).
Cheat?  Kevin, I do respect you, but that's ludicrous.  Harper's Conservatives don't need to cheat to get elected.

Quote:
Fellow Canadians: Be prepared to live in a police state in the next year or so.
Also ludicrous.  It hasn't happened in the last year and a half and virtually every piece of legislation put forth by Harper's government has passed.  He didn't use his powers to undo past legislation, the gay marriage card has been played and he won't touch abortion (no Canadian Government has ever done that successfully and in fact we still have no abortion laws).  His policies and beliefs on crime are off the mark, but no terrible legislation has passed yet that can't be fixed or won't be by the next Liberal (or Bloc, save us all) government.  His economic policies are quite good (better than any Liberal policies).  We may get involved in some international stuff that doesn't concern us (see: Afghanistan).  His environmental policies are abhorrent, but the Liberals are no better (really, they aren't).  By and large nothing terrible has come from Harper's government yet.  Nothing.  Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing no one expected (except his having a de facto majority rule when he has only a minority rule).  I haven't seen the bad in this government yet.  I don't like the government, but I just don't see the picture you're painting, Kevin.

Quote:
If the Republicans win the election there isn't going to be any very safe place, not this time and whether we here have a Conservative or Liberal party won't make a lick of difference.  And Kevin, our Conservatives and the American Republicans aren't really comparible.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:WTF? A Harper majority

Quote:
WTF? A Harper majority gov't would be a disaster for Canada in the vein of George W. Bush.

Worse in some respects. Harper believes in protecting the 'sanctity' of things like marriage by taking away the rights of people like homosexuals. He hasn't had a chance to really flex this muscle of his, though, since he's been stuck in the kiddie pool.

He's also blatantly anti-environmental, anti-conservation and anti-science. Protect business, churches and hydrocarbon industries, fuck everyone else.

Jeffrick: Do you actually have an argument to make? Sure, I'm probably one of the only people in Alberta who won't be voting Conservative. That's not somehow a good reason to vote for them anyway (Ironic: I live just a few houses away from Harper). As much fun as it is to have religious fanatics running the country, I think I'll be voting Liberal (...it's funny. The only arguments that I've ever heard levelled against Dion is that he's 'just learned thing by books!'. Yup. The biggest fault of the current Liberal leader is that he actually has an education).

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:
WTF? A Harper majority gov't would be a disaster for Canada in the vein of George W. Bush.

Worse in some respects. Harper believes in protecting the 'sanctity' of things like marriage by taking away the rights of people like homosexuals. He hasn't had a chance to really flex this muscle of his, though, since he's been stuck in the kiddie pool.

You have a grave misunderstanding and lack of knowledge as to how parliament has proceeded during Harper's rule.  You also seem to be unaware that parliament, under Harper's rule, voted to amend marriage laws and that homosexuals have the right to marry.  Harper never tried to take away the rights of homosexuals.

Quote:
He's also blatantly anti-environmental, anti-conservation and anti-science. Protect business, churches and hydrocarbon industries, fuck everyone else.
Basically untrue on all accounts.  He's not anti-environment.  He different-environment. It's not good or better, granted, but it's not 'anti'.  He may well be anti-conservation, but he's not anti-science.  He does have interest in protecting business, by extending the amount of foreign ownership in Canadian companies he allows our nation interests to gross more and extend their influence beyond the Canadian market. Not all his economic policies are agreeable, Kevin, but they won't hurt Canada more than Liberal policies ever had.

Quote:
Jeffrick: Do you actually have an argument to make? Sure, I'm probably one of the only people in Alberta who won't be voting Conservative. That's not somehow a good reason to vote for them anyway (Ironic: I live just a few houses away from Harper). As much fun as it is to have religious fanatics running the country, I think I'll be voting Liberal (...it's funny. The only arguments that I've ever heard levelled against Dion is that he's 'just learned thing by books!'. Yup. The biggest fault of the current Liberal leader is that he actually has an education).
The Liberals aren't any better. I'd prefer them, slightly, but they won't win.  I don't vote Liberal.  I don't vote Conservative. I don't vote NDP. I vote Green.  Kevin, the picture you paint of the Conservatives just isn't the case.  Sure, it's tonned down from what we all know is the case, but the Conservatives are not going to ruin the country or enact police state like legistlation.  That's just not the reality of this.  I'm not even sure that the Conservatives are religious fanatics.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Cheat?  Kevin, I do

Quote:
Cheat?  Kevin, I do respect you, but that's ludicrous.  Harper's Conservatives don't need to cheat to get elected.

He already did cheat, remember? You're right - he probably doesn't need to in order to win his majority at this point.

I'm saying his ethical standards are so low that he'd have no qualms about rigging the election if he felt he needed to.

Quote:
Also ludicrous.  It hasn't happened in the last year and a half and virtually every piece of legislation put forth by Harper's government has passed.

Right. And why?

Because he's been in a minority position. He couldn't pass any big & nasty legislation - it'd just be defeated, with an election called (and would have put the Conservatives into a much weaker state).

Care to make a wager, Thom? If Harper gets in, we'll get the 'Protecting the institute of marriage!' law that Harper's been (ahem) harping about since he joined the race. Won't that be fun for you?

Quote:
He didn't use his powers to undo past legislation

Again, he couldn't have.

Quote:
the gay marriage card has been played

...Not yet it hasn't.

Quote:
and he won't touch abortion (no Canadian Government has ever done that successfully and in fact we still have no abortion laws)

Pfft. You honestly think a fundie like Harper will keep his hands off of an issue like this one?

Quote:
His policies and beliefs on crime are off the mark, but no terrible legislation has passed yet that can't be fixed or won't be by the next Liberal

Again, it couldn't have been. He didn't have the flexibility to do so in his minority position.

Quote:
(or Bloc, save us all) government

...The Bloc are vexxing.

What are they going to do? Get in power then immediately resign so they can go run their new sovereign nation of Quebec? Sticking out tongue

It's silly.

Quote:
His economic policies are quite good (better than any Liberal policies)

No effin' way. Tax cuts to the petroleum industry? No taxation of gasoline? Big benefits to business owners? No plan for assisting students with tuition? No plan to try helping to dig health care out of it's steep downward spiral?

At least the Liberals have some of those bases covered, and at least they aren't blatantly gunning for short-term over long-term.

Quote:
We may get involved in some international stuff that doesn't concern us (see: Afghanistan)

'May'? Give me a break.

Pop quiz: There was one Canadian politician who actually went over and apologized to GWB for Jean's decision to not get us involved in the abysmal mess that is Iraq.

Guess who it was?

Quote:
His environmental policies are abhorrent, but the Liberals are no better (really, they aren't)

Yes, they are. Cretian, for all his quackery, was actually able to get the balls to put emission policies in place. Dion has plans for a hydrocarbon tax. There are rumblings within the Liberal party about getting alternative energy sources in place.

The Conservatives? Same old, same old. Just fork the dough over to oil & gas and hope we don't run out by the time they'e kicked the bucket.

Quote:
By and large nothing terrible has come from Harper's government yet.  Nothing.  Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing no one expected (except his having a de facto majority rule when he has only a minority rule). I haven't seen the bad in this government yet.  I don't like the government, but I just don't see the picture you're painting, Kevin.

See what I've already said about this.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow, Kevin.  Great job at

Wow, Kevin.  Great job at ignoring the rest of everything I wrote.  *clap*  His government has proceed just like a majority because he has confidence votes on almost every piece of legisaltion he tables esuring that the weak Liberals and Bloc vote in avour in order to avoid an election!  Only majority governments get so much of their own legislation passed... that is untill Harper had his minority.  And the gay marriage card has been played: He held a vote in parliament over the matter and gay marriage sustained!  Am I imaging that?

(And the Bloc government bit was not totally serious.  The time for them to actually have formed a government has passed, they're waning in support.  Of course, they still get a serious percentage of the vote and if enough votes were to fall from the Liberals and Conservatives to the Green or NDP, they could have a slim chance at a minority, which would be soundly defeated.  It would be impossible for the Bloc to pass a confidence motion.  It's speculation anyhow.  I didn't mean to imply that the Bloc could actually form a government.)

Go back and reread my posts.  I made some additions.

BigUniverse wrote,

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow come on people

The supreme court of Canada rules over any legislation, heck they can strip any legislation that passes as well. The gay marriage thing, is here to stay. Abortion? Here to stay, that is until the people of Canada or the supreme court changes it.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Stephen Harper on

Stephen Harper on transparency and freedom of the press:

Prime Minister Stephen Harper says he'll no longer give news conferences for the national media, after a dispute led a number of journalists to walk away from an event when he refused to take their questions. 

Speaking to A-Channel in London, Ont., Harper said "unfortunately the press gallery has taken the view they are going to be the opposition to the government."

"They don't ask questions at my press conferences now. We'll just take the message out on the road. There's lots of media who do want to ask questions and hear what the government is doing." 

Since becoming prime minister in January, Harper has had a testy relationship with the national media in Ottawa.  His staff has tried to manage news conferences by saying they will decide which reporters get to ask questions. 

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/05/24/harper05242006.html [/i]

Stephen Harper on environmental conservation and the existence of a Big Science conspiracy:

[i]Harper and the Conservative government criticized the Kyoto Accord on measures to fight against global warming, saying that the economy would be crippled if Canada was forced to meet the Accord's timetable to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. In 2002, Harper wrote a letter to members of the former Canadian Alliance party, mentioning that the Accord is a "socialist conspiracy" and questioned sciences that are proving global warming and in a meeting with other Commonwealth countries in Uganda commented that Kyoto was a mistake that should not be repeated. [1] [2]

h]ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_policy_of_the_Harper_government#cite_note-0[/i

Harper Government on bald assertions and fear mongering:

[i]On April 19, 2007, Baird told the Canadian Senate environmental committee that respecting the Kyoto Accord would have a negative impact on the economic citing that Canada would return to a recession similar to the early 1980s while gas and natural gas prices would skyrocket despite a United Nations report that said that the impact would be minimal. [14] [15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_policy_of_the_Harper_government#cite_note-0 [/i]

Harper Government on 'Cleaning the Air':

Details of the Clean Air Act were revealed on October 19, 2006 by Harper along with Environment Minister Rona Ambrose and Transport Minister Lawrence Cannon. Its main plan was to reduce greenhouse emissions at about 45-65% of the 2003 levels. The goal was set for the year 2050 while a decrease of greenhouse emissions would be noticed in 2020. There were also regulations set for vehicle fuel consumption for 2011, while new measures would be set for industries starting in 2010. Finally, oil companies will have to reduce gas emissions for each barrel produced. However, companies can increase their production until 2020.[18].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_policy_of_the_Harper_government#cite_note-0

Harper Government on the importance of discussing global warming:

Harper canceled a planned meeting on environment with European Union members in Helsinki, Finland, a meeting in which he was expecting to condemn the Kyoto Accord. Critics cited that Harper canceled its meeting to avoid the criticism from EU officials. Harper's director of communications cited that his legislation agenda forced him to withdraw from the meeting. [32] Furthermore, Ambrose attended a two-week November 2006 UN summit meeting in Nairobi, Kenya on the issue of the Kyoto Accord and it targets. Opposition members have claimed that her presence was an embarrassment for Canada. [33].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_policy_of_the_Harper_government#cite_note-0[/i]

Harper Government on equality:

[i]During the 2006 election campaign, Stephen Harper promised a free vote to revisit the issue of same-sex marriage which had been legalized in 2005 by the previous government. The vote took place on December 7, 2006: the government bill to change the status quo was rejected 175-123. Afterwards Harper told the media that he now considered the issue to be closed and that he would not pursue further legislation on the matter.[20] [21]

There were also plans to pass a law that would protect "freedom of religious expression", a law interpreted by some as a shield for opponents of same-sex marriage. The government cut funding to various social programs and festivals, some of which were related to the gay community such as Montreal's Black and Blue festival, one of the biggest gay festivals in Canada.[22][23] The Harper government also reduced spending for women's advocacy work on the status of women in the country.[24]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_policy_of_the_Harper_government#Social_policy[/i]

Harper Government on freedom of expression:

[i]In late-February 2008, the government announced its intention on amending the Income Tax Act which would suspend any tax credits to any film or television production which would include content judging too offensive to the general public. The Canadian Family Action Coalition had pushed the federal government for the funding cuts and is supported by the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party citing that governments should be careful about putting taxpayers money for movies with too much sexual content. [36] The bill was met with opposition by the Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists citing it has grave implication to the actors while calling it morally offensive to modern Canadian society. [37] Canadian Actress Sarah Polley, added that the bill would amount to "censorship" and that the definition of offensive is "extremely vague and dangerous to be using". [38] MP Jim Abbott cited that "the bill does nothing to obstruct filmmakers -- it just stops the government from footing bills for films that don't fall in line with Canadians' morals". A similar legislation was unanimously passed in 2003. [39]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_policy_of_the_Harper_government#Social_policy[/i]

Harper Government on pro-choice:

[i]In early 2008, Conservative MP Ken Epp tabled private member's bill C-484 in which harming a fetus would constitute a crime. Medical specialists cited that bill would open the door for an abortion ban. The bill passed first reading in March 2008 with the supported of the first two parties. [42]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_policy_of_the_Harper_government[/i]

So, Thom? Care to revisit what you said about Harper [i]not being anti-science or anti-science? We can also go ahead and chalk-up 'anti-freedom of speech' too, I guess.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:And the gay marriage

Quote:
And the gay marriage card has been played: He held a vote in parliament over the matter and gay marriage sustained!  Am I imaging that?

What you're imagining is that the Harper government wanted to leave the issue as it was (with gay marriage being legal). They wanted to abolish the law and establish restrictions in order to 'protect the sanctity of marriage', as I already described. See my above citations.

The law was sustained because Harper's motion didn't pass. He then promised not to approach the subject again - and instead has been content to simply take money away from any program related to homosexual events.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The supreme court of

Quote:

The supreme court of Canada rules over any legislation, heck they can strip any legislation that passes as well. The gay marriage thing, is here to stay. Abortion? Here to stay, that is until the people of Canada or the supreme court changes it.

You're ignorant of both:

A) The process

and

B) Current events

Both of these standards have been jeopardized by the Harper government, and both are at serious risk the longer his term continues.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Urge to kill... rising...

Urge to kill... rising...

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
No not even close

Harper can pass whatever he wants, the Supreme court can over rule his decision if the people demand it or if it violates the charter of rights of Canada, Harper CANNOT dismiss the Supreme court, no party can.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Harper isn't a dictator

And your making him to be this dictator that he isn't, the tories follow the rules, they just like all other politicians no how to get around them that's all it is, but Harper cannot and will not make this a tolitarian police state, which is what you stated, nice try, but Canadians have a few ways to get the government under control should it get that far, legally and without bloodshed.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:And your making him to

Quote:
And your making him to be this dictator that he isn't

I didn't write those citations, did I?

If you don't like facts I guess you don't like facts, but don't give me bullshit about how I'm just making him out to be something he's not.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Look who's talking

Gay marriage is fine, won't be touched, but you said that we are going to live in a police state, more or less a dictatorship, you may not like his policies (shit I don't like the tories) but don't exaggerate it so much, the liberals fucked things as well for 12 plus years, heck all through the 90's and early 2000, we were in debt, but with the tories, as much as I don't like them, there has been a surplus at least, the economy is working and we are not in trouble like the US. Don't like the business part, well guess what his business plan about foreign ownership actually makes sense, than lets say the green shift of the liberals, which really doesn't do much.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Gay marriage is fine,

Quote:
Gay marriage is fine, won't be touched

Untrue. Check my citations.

Quote:
but you said that we are going to live in a police state

Correct. Check my citations and look for a trend.

Quote:
but don't exaggerate it so much, the liberals fucked things as well for 12 plus years

...So I backed my claims up. Can you do the same? Or are you just another pot-toking gas-brain who lives in a perpetual state of this gag-inducing 'Canadian spirit', typically involving blissful ignorance and skirt around on our tippy-toes politeness?

Quote:

February 27, 1940

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually you haven't

Show me where Harper is going to throw out the supreme court which can and will override any legislation that well ban same sex marriage, take away the freedom of press (just because he doesn't want to talk to them doesn't make it a police state, show me where they will got to prison for it or have their liberties taken away from them). I would like to see how you can show me, besides being completely fucking stupid and ignorant regarding how Canada operates and how the supreme court of Canada operates regarding the Charter of Rights. Please do so or just shut the fuck up, because your acting like and idiot here.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of from Wiki as well

. A final source of cases is the referral power of the federal government. In such cases, the Supreme Court is required to give an opinion on questions referred to it by the Governor-in-Council (cabinet). However, in many cases, including the most recent Same-Sex Reference, the Court has declined to answer a question from the Cabinet. In that case, the Court said it would not decide if same-sex marriages were required by the Charter of Rights, because the government had announced it would change the law regardless of its opinion, and subsequently did.

The Supreme Court thus performs a unique function. It can be asked by the Governor-in-Council to hear references considering important questions of law. Such referrals may concern the constitutionality or interpretation of federal or provincial legislation, or the division of powers between federal and provincial levels of government. Any point of law may be referred in this manner. However, the court is not often called upon to hear references. When it is, the opinion on the question referred is often of national importance; one recent example concerns the constitutionality of Same-sex marriage. References have been used to re-examine criminal convictions that have concerned the country as in the cases of David Milgaard and Stephen Truscott.

Constitutional questions may, of course, also be raised in the normal case of appeals involving individual litigants, governments, government agencies or crown corporations. In such cases the federal and provincial governments must be notified of any constitutional questions and may intervene to submit a brief and attend oral argument at the court. Usually the other governments are given the right to argue their case in the Court, although on rare occasions this has been curtailed and prevented by order of one of the Court's judges.

Since same sex marrige is more or less a safe, since those from the Gay community would pretty much launch a lawsuit against the goverment, and take up with human rights counsel, which more or less makes the issue dead for the tories or any other government. That's my evidence, where is yours again that harper would throw out the any supreme court decisions?

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin, I'm not interested in

Kevin, I'm not interested in defending the Conservatives.  I really don't like the Conservatives, but I also really don't like people who preach disaster on the election of a Harper majority.  There is as yet no proof that things will actually take a turn for the worse for Canadian domestic policy.  Our government is not being usurped.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
Stephen Harper on transparency and freedom of the press:
Freedom of the press isn't affected by the government refusing to talk to the press in a particular venue.  The Harper government is, however, not as transparent as they would have us believe.  This is not abnormal for any Canadian government, though.  Clearly, Harper is a hypocrite in that regard however as one of his platform promises was to lead a more transparent government, whatever that means.

Quote:
Stephen Harper on environmental conservation and the existence of a Big Science conspiracy:
Harper does not believe in a Big Science conspiracy.  Gainsaying Kyoto and environmentalists in 2002 is not proof of that.  His environmental policies are not the greatest, in fact they have severe deficiencies.  It is also true, however, that the Liberal governments while Canada was committed to Kyoto failed completely to even attempt to begin to meet Kyoto targets.  It's not reasonable for the current government to commit to the Kyoto accord when Canada cannot realistically meet its targets on time any longer.  The Harper government might be lax on the environment, but to suggest that they're anti-environment would be to dismiss the Clean Air Act that did pass which is typically referred to by environmental experts as insufficient.  It is insufficient.  It might even be poor, but with a lack of any real comparison to the policies of the previous Canadian government it's actually better than nothing and certainly better than what the Liberals had been doing.

Quote:
Harper Government on bald assertions and fear mongering:
Suggesting the economy would suffer if Canada enforced strict controls in order to meet the closing Kyoto targets on time was a bald assertion, but fear mongering?  I really haven't noticed the opinion of the importance of the environment change in Canada in the last two years, except to become more important and issue.  If that was an example of fear mongering, it would appear to have backfired at best.

Quote:
Harper Government on 'Cleaning the Air':

Details of the Clean Air Act were revealed on October 19, 2006 by Harper along with Environment Minister Rona Ambrose and Transport Minister Lawrence Cannon. Its main plan was to reduce greenhouse emissions at about 45-65% of the 2003 levels. The goal was set for the year 2050 while a decrease of greenhouse emissions would be noticed in 2020. There were also regulations set for vehicle fuel consumption for 2011, while new measures would be set for industries starting in 2010. Finally, oil companies will have to reduce gas emissions for each barrel produced. However, companies can increase their production until 2020.[18].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_policy_of_the_Harper_government#cite_note-0

I left that there because you quoted the original proposal of the government and not the Clean Air Act that passed!  Did you think we can't read or that we wouldn't look into the article (if we didn't already know the details of the Clean Air Act)?.  The relevant part you must have meant to quote from the Wikipedia article is

Environmental Policy of the Harper Government wrote:
The Conservatives made a detailed and revised plan on April 25, 2007, after leaks of a speech which was supposed to be made by John Baird on April 26 were discovered after some Liberal MPs received a fax of the speech. The new plan seeks to stop the increase of greenhouse gas emissions before 2012 and reduce the amount as much as 20% by 2020. Targets would be imposed to industries before 2015, while appliances would need to be more energy efficient. There were also rewards for companies that reduced the amount of emissions since 2006. [19] On the next day, Baird announced additional measures including one that would force industries to reduce greenhouse emissions by 18 percent by 2010 while auto industries would have a mandatory fuel-efficient standard by 2011. Later in 2007, Baird revealed other plans and deadlines that industries must met. The plan mentionned that over 700 big-polluter companies, including oil and gas, pulp and paper, electricity and iron and steel companies, will have to reduce green-house emissions by six percent from 2008 to 2010 and will have to report data on their emissions on every May 31.

Here is the official page for the coming into force of bill C-30, you can also get to the details of the bill itself.  Admittedly, the Harper government wanted to pass a bill even more lax than that and threatened to make it an election issue, but even running the House as he was, Harper would never have gotten the proposed bill passed; Canadians would never have stood for it.  It's unclear, Kevin, if you meant to be intentionally misleading or if you really think that what was proposed in 2006 and what will actually come into force prove the Harper government is anti-environmental.  If find their policies lax and sad and I've hoped for better, but I can't justify calling the Harper government anti-environmental.

Quote:
Harper Government on the importance of discussing global warming:
In fact, the Harper government does not take global warming seriously.  The Harper government does acknowledge global warming, though.  The current commitments of the government don't, however, support the idea that Harper's government is anything other than lax in regard to the environment.

Quote:
Harper Government on equality:
Same-sex marriage is not an issue that can be addressed further by the federal government.  Even before the original vote during the Martin government, the Supreme Court had already ruled that the federal government had the ability, but not the requirement to change the meaning of marriage as the constitutionality of same-sex marriage was protected and provinces, who are in charge the solemnization of marriage, had ruled in their courts decisions which were accepted by the federal government.  In other words, no matter the definition of marriage the federal government adopts, gay marriage is here to stay (at least in provinces whose courts ruled on the matter and allowed same-sex marriage).  Also, motions, such as the one brought forward by the Harper Government, which was defeated, are not legislatively binding.  Harper could very well reopen the same-sex marriage door if he wanted to, but it would literally be to no effect.

Quote:
Harper Government on freedom of expression:
At least you got the freedom right.  Yes, our already strapped arts sector would be hurt by another reduction in funding and by any censorship legislation that withholds funding to certain projects.  It's interesting that the Harper government wouldn't be the first one to propose or pass such legislation or cut funding. 

Quote:
Harper Government on pro-choice:
That bill would not have opened any door to any such ban.  There is currently no law on abortion for that bill to have affected.  Abortion in Canada is not limited by the law.  It is under the jurisdiction of the federal government insofar as the Supreme Court has ruled, but at the policy convention in 2005 the Conservatives voted to not touch abortion and there has never been any law on abortion in Canada since abortion and contraception became legal in 1892.  Right now the provinces regulate it as best they can.  It is almost certain that if legislation is tabled concerning abortion it will look like the legislation that's passed in every other first world country as per the Supreme Court's ruling.  You know, abortions in every case except late term and likely subject to some counseling on the matter and some restrictions in mid-term abortions.

Quote:
So, Thom? Care to revisit what you said about Harper not being anti-science or anti-science? We can also go ahead and chalk-up 'anti-freedom of speech' too, I guess.
No, I won't revisit what I wrote.  I firmly believe, and with reason, that your doom predictions about a Conservative majority are unwarranted.  That's not to say I like it, I just really don't think it'll be near as bad as the picture you paint.

BigUniverse wrote,

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
He is going to ignore it

Kevin has shown his true colours he is a I am right no matter what mentality, he is completely wrong on this subject and has no fucking clue how the government, the courts or the system in Canada works. His whole concept of a police state is such a stretch that it makes him look stupid. He thinks he is superior over everyone, and hey let him be, I have no use for such stupidity and ignorance, I personally have no respect for him.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
ah, you crazy canadians,

ah, you crazy canadians, with your prime minister and your two official languages and your rock'em sock'em robots...

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:ah, you crazy

iwbiek wrote:

ah, you crazy canadians, with your prime minister and your two official languages and your rock'em sock'em robots...

You can go on about our craziness, the Prime Minister, and our two official languages, but Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots are a US toy craze.  I believe you meant to write, '... and your flappin' heads...'.

BigUniverse wrote,

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:iwbiek

Thomathy wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

You can go on about our craziness, the Prime Minister, and our two official languages, but Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots are a US toy craze.  I believe you meant to write, '... and your flappin' heads...'.

enh, i was loosely plagiarizing peter griffin.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
Kevin all i have to say is

void, never mind.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

Voting for Harper is only sane if you come from America and like Bush.

latincanuck wrote:

Since when will the tories get our army to invade another country? Fuck they can't get our guys out of the place they are now, forget transporting them somewhere else to fight for lies. The tories won't do shit, they will continue to do what they have been so far and so far it hasn't been that bad, our economy isn't as bad as the US, we are still strong (ok except Ontario but that the limited vision problem not the tories, manufactures should have upgraded their places when they saw the possiblity of the big 3 no longer being the big 3)

What are you talking about? It was the Conservatives that made such an issue about the Liberals not sending our people into Iraq to back up the Americans who had no business being there in the first place. As for using the seeming inability to return our troops, one glance at the US shows a country willing, able, and actively pursuing war, despite being able to pull out of it. *Rolls eyes*

Thomathy wrote:

And the Liberals.  Since both have formed the only governments I suppose we should say that no Canadian Government plays by the rules... but they do.

Now you're making me feel old. Sorry to burst any bubbles, but the NDP was in power before the Liberals were. Hence the after election joke, what do the NDP and a Toyota have in common? Two seats.

But that was the 80's.....

latincanuck wrote:
but don't exaggerate it so much, the liberals fucked things as well for 12 plus years

How do you figure? Canada was running quite well when the Liberals were in power, until the sponsorship scandal. Which I consider to be irrelevant, since it made more money for taxpayers than was stolen. And many or most of those who participated in the stealing are now or soon will be in jail.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Shaitian, that wasn't cool

Shaitian, that wasn't cool posting something that downloads malware like that.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Now you're

Vastet wrote:
Now you're making me feel old. Sorry to burst any bubbles, but the NDP was in power before the Liberals were. Hence the after election joke, what do the NDP and a Toyota have in common? Two seats.

Pardon?  You shouldn't feel old, but I wasn't aware the NDP had ever formed a government.  If I recall the 80's we had Joe Clark (PC), Pierre Trudeau and John Turner (Liberal) and finally Brian Mulroney (PC).  (Could someone correct me if indeed I am very mistaken?)

BigUniverse wrote,

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
NDP LOL

Thomathy wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Pardon?  You shouldn't feel old, but I wasn't aware the NDP had ever formed a government.  If I recall the 80's we had Joe Clark (PC), Pierre Trudeau and John Turner (Liberal) and finally Brian Mulroney (PC).  (Could someone correct me if indeed I am very mistaken?)

Yeah no they never formed a government, they were elected in Ontario, with Bob Rae...and we all know that was the worst thing ever.

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
matt sorry bout that, it

matt sorry bout that, it seems one of my friends came over while i was at work and did that to a couple of sites... I sorta forgot to log off my user b4 i left... teach me to trust people...

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Next time you see him

Next time you see him bitch-slap him and say it's from me.

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
lol i will be sure to do

lol i will be sure to do that, tho i prefer just locking up my system so that you need me/administrator(me) there to do anything Sticking out tongue

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Kevin has shown his

Quote:

Kevin has shown his true colours he is a I am right no matter what mentality, he is completely wrong on this subject and has no fucking clue how the government, the courts or the system in Canada works. His whole concept of a police state is such a stretch that it makes him look stupid. He thinks he is superior over everyone, and hey let him be, I have no use for such stupidity and ignorance, I personally have no respect for him.

I didn't say, 'I'm right!', now did I? I said, 'Here's the Goddamn citations backing-up my claims.'

At least Thom had the decency to address them rather than simply attacking me (I hold to my claim that Harper is making-out scientific principles to be part of a conspirator plot. I'm sorry, but you can't just 'explain away' him talking about Global Warming & Kyoto directly using the terms, 'Communist Conspiracy plot').

Thom: You know damn well that the Liberals and NDP had to fight tooth and nail to modify the Conservative 2006 'Clean Air' proposal to it's current state. Showing the most recent form of the bill is being disingeniune; that is not what Harper was looking for, ever. It's what he had to settle for.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Thom:

Kevin R Brown wrote:
Thom: You know damn well that the Liberals and NDP had to fight tooth and nail to modify the Conservative 2006 'Clean Air' proposal to it's current state. Showing the most recent form of the bill is being disingeniune; that is not what Harper was looking for, ever. It's what he had to settle for.
(I guess, really, on both our parts, the whole article should have been posted) To an extent it is true that the Harper government was not looking for the outcome they got.  But I do think the outcome they got was calculated.  The leak of the reworked proposal to the other parties and the sheer... gusto... of the original proposal lead me to think that the Conservatives knew their bill was too lax to pass and that they wanted to test reactions.  The easiest way to get what you want when bargaining is to stoop the lowest you can and work up from there.  I really don't think the NDP was actually fighting, they're so hypocritical the way they practically cross the floor only to vex the Liberals and to get a chance on the edge of the Tory limelight; it must have been another show to vie for the support they desparately want (and they do want a chance ahead of the Liberals again).  The Liberals, I believe, were actually fighting for more.  They had to;  all that time in government and they never introduced anything that looked like an excellent piece of environmental legislation though they could have?  Redemption.  Failed at that, if polls are any indication.

((I like having decency, Kevin.  I would never outright insult you if you didn't deserve it and you don't.  I'd love to agree with you about the dangers of another Harper government, but love isn't enough.  I know neither of us wants another Harper government (for varied, but not wholly different reasons), let alone a majority (which is looking more unlikely now), but it really won't be so bad.))

BigUniverse wrote,

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Vastet

Thomathy wrote:

Vastet wrote:

My mistake, it was the PC's I was thinking of. That whole collapse and mix up with the Reforms and everything had my mind working on the wrong track. Apologies.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:I'm

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I'm sorry, but you can't just 'explain away' him talking about Global Warming & Kyoto directly using the terms, 'Communist Conspiracy plot'

if only...

--Hunter S. Thompson

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually I did

I did back up my claims that Harper cannot change the same sex laws or the definition of marriage anymore because of the supreme court, that he cannot have a police state, simply because he does not want to talk to the media (which is merely exaggeration on your part) so the insults stands, your ignorant on how the Canadian court system and governmental system works, and how the laws are changed, can be changed and how it all works. Even if he has a majority he cannot change some sex laws, he has the right not to talk to the media and be hypocritical about his stand on a see through government (come on tell me no one saw this one coming? It was an election promise) and your the one that threw the insults first, not me.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Thomathy

Vastet wrote:
Thomathy wrote:
Vastet wrote:

My mistake, it was the PC's I was thinking of. That whole collapse and mix up with the Reforms and everything had my mind working on the wrong track. Apologies.
I see.  It's alright.  The 80's were interesting, and somewhat confusing political times in Canada.  The Liberals had lost 107 seats in an election, the NDP were far ahead of them, the Progressive Conservatives elected the most MPs ever to Parliament.  Yes... interesting times.

BigUniverse wrote,