I'm Christian (go ahead try to fix me)

Lamb-of-Truth
User is offlineOffline
I'm Christian (go ahead try to fix me)

I noticed a slogon... "Believe in God? We can fix that." Go ahead and try to fix me. I want to test my faith.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was really looking forward

I was really looking forward to hearing how "Unicorn" translates into "Ram with one horn."  That defies all the hebrew I've ever been exposed to.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Lamb-of-Truth wrote:They say

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
They say you all are influenced by the devil, who is decieving you. Misleading you.

Is this in reference to something in particular, or just some random question?

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Lamb-of-Truth

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
How can you say atheism is different from theism. If theists can't explain it, God did it. If atheists can't explain it, we haven't discovered how, why, or what yet. Either way, you fill up the gaps with a broad statement that makes you feel right.
We have no proof God exists.

Why did you respond to your own post? Anyway, you've almost answered your own question. Saying that you don't know something isn't forging a conclusion without data; it's not a conclusion at all, but an honest description of a state of knowledge. Saying that "God did it" is a conclusion without a basis. Unless evidence emerges for specific claims, they're unjustified: delusions. To lock it away from scrutiny under the guise of faith is to say the position isn't rational, or isn't defensible.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Lamb-of-Truth wrote:I'm

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
I'm sorry to have wasted your time, but I got a lot out of this.

Impossible. You haven't engaged anyone in a discussion. If this result pleases you, your goal must have been trifling.

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
Just so you know, I love how those three brainwashed, or should I say "soulwashed," my once atheist mind with the blood of the one who knows all. My imaginary friend controls all but our minds. WE control our minds, allowing a flood of philosophy to drown our minds.

This is gibberish.

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
You will not accept my view, and I already knew that.

Normally, compelling arguments convince people of things. To say that a view isn't accepted is to imagine one was presented. All we know about you is that you subscribe wholesale to a poor translation of a collection of plagiarized folk tales. But you didn't defend it, and you didn't present anything beyond a few limp assertions.

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
I was here to see life believing it has no life.

I can't help but refer to Nietzsche again, and how he nailed you guys with your inversion of values. "Life," as you use it, can only be something else. In this case, some static collection of social prescriptions; the ideological opposite of life and vigor.

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
Funny isn't. Thank you for your time. Smiling

Enjoy your weekly bulk mayonnaise run at Wal-Mart.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lamb-of-Truth wrote:How can

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
How can you say atheism is different from theism. If theists can't explain it, God did it. If atheists can't explain it, we haven't discovered how, why, or what yet. Either way, you fill up the gaps with a broad statement that makes you feel right.

We don't fill up the gaps with what makes us feel right. We simply don't project human qualities on things we have yet to understand.

I have seen the human brain and I know that it looks nothing like the universe. If you talk to your plants, thinking that they can understand you, you have the same problem the Ancient Egptians did in thinking the sun was a being that actually cared about them.

Atheists don't claim to know all the answers. We simply don't mistake the rest of the universe as being human, much less cognitive.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Lamb-of-Truth
User is offlineOffline

I admire you magilum, your inteligence and logic excessively excedes mine. You make my brain feel like mush, lol. Can you think of infinity and describe it? Can you know how far infinity goes, how long it is? Can you count to infinity. In logic, infinity is impossible. Do you believe there is an infinity? When I say infinity, I make no reference to any superstition, but to the infinite number line in mathematics or the amount of space in the universe, ect.

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Lamb-of-Truth wrote:Can you

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
Can you think of infinity and describe it? Can you know how far infinity goes, how long it is? Can you count to infinity. In logic, infinity is impossible. Do you believe there is an infinity? When I say infinity, I make no reference to any superstition, but to the infinite number line in mathematics or the amount of space in the universe, ect.

Think of a number line that stretches to the right as far as you can see and also to the left as far as you can see.  Then know that your eyesight is pitiful and if it got better you would still see the line in both directions no matter how much your eyesight improved.  Does that help?  Infinity is fun.  You should really look into calculus.  That will give you wonderful tools for playing around with the idea of infinity.

To get back to the question, what is your god?  Having grown up in fundamentalist christianity I must admit I am not too familiar with how baptists define god.  You state that you believe in the KJV of the bible.  I grew up with this version as well.  We did not eat pork and worshiped on Saturday based on what this book said.  We did wear clothing that was a mix of synthetics and cotton though.  What parts of the bible do you use and what do you discard?  In each case, why?  If you want to examine what you believe, you are going to have to get more specific about what exactly that is.

"I am that I am." - Proof that the writers of the bible were beyond stoned.

Lamb-of-Truth
User is offlineOffline
The Light

In the book of John, it states that God is the Light. Somewhere else in the bible it says that man seeks darkness. Also, let me just speculate, when you look for something, do you turn off the light and search within darkness? If you turn off the Light, how do you expect to find the Light?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Lamb-of-Truth ... and that

Lamb-of-Truth ... and that is why a famous buddha laughed when asked about god, and why famous philosopher Sartre wrote, "We are condemned to be free", and I add, in total agreement, condemned to be god. Hey, what isn't g awe d ?   

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Lamb-of-Truth wrote:Can you

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
Can you think of infinity and describe it? Can you know how far infinity goes, how long it is? [...] When I say infinity, I make no reference to any superstition, but to the infinite number line in mathematics [...]

Why?

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Lamb-of-Truth wrote:when you

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
when you look for something, do you turn off the light and search within darkness? If you turn off the Light, how do you expect to find the Light?

Of course not.  That is why I would never use a book like the bible when looking to understand the nature of the universe.

Please define your idea of god.  What parts of the bible do you use and why?  Why do you not use the others?

"I am that I am." - Proof that the writers of the bible were beyond stoned.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Lamb-of-Truth wrote:In the

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
In the book of John, it states that God is the Light. Somewhere else in the bible it says that man seeks darkness. Also, let me just speculate, when you look for something, do you turn off the light and search within darkness? If you turn off the Light, how do you expect to find the Light?

Let me ask a question before I answer yours.

Should the created gain more honor and be respected more than the creator?

If your answer is no, then I have to wonder why you are worshipping the God of the Bible who is nothing more than the product of limited human intelligence and vast human imagination.

The "light" of human intellect and imagination created your God. By replacing the creator with the created, could you be the one searching within the darkness?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

magilum
User is offlineOffline

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:

Analogies are good for understanding things, not demonstrating them. If I say a car is like a carriage that works without a horse, this is taking something we know about, and modifying it conceptually to extend that understanding to something else. But this doesn't say anything about whether the two things exist or not, or whether the analogy therefore holds any water. To say that Yahweh is the Zeus of the Judeo-Christian pantheon may or may not be arguable, but it doesn't reconcile the concepts with reality.

The argument I think you're making, because it doesn't have demonstrable facts in its analogy, is leading toward a circular argument in which the conclusion--that god exists--must be assumed for the premise--that seeing god requires light--to be useful.

Lamb-of-Truth
User is offlineOffline
Philosophy

The philosophy of what you said is great, but the believere worships because he/she believes that he/she is the created. Secondly, I don't think you understood the philosophy behind the Light. What I meant was that if you will not open your mind to God being of Heavenly aspects, how can you try to proove his existance by ways of unheavenly logic?

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Lamb-of-Truth wrote:The

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
The philosophy of what you said is great, but the believere worships because he/she believes that he/she is the created.

So it's not faith, but a scientific claim by this description. If it's demonstrated that spontaneous creation is less credible than a gradual evolution from common ancestry, does this hypothetical believer lose their belief? Is their belief contingent on these alleged facts, or would it just be nice if these things were true to provide a more convincing explanation of why something is believed?

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
Secondly, I don't think you understood the philosophy behind the Light. What I meant was that if you will not open your mind to God being of Heavenly aspects, how can you try to proove his existance by ways of unheavenly logic?

I think I understood and addressed this adequately. False analogy, circular reasoning.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lamb-of-Truth wrote: What I

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
What I meant was that if you will not open your mind to God being of Heavenly aspects, how can you try to proove his existance by ways of unheavenly logic?

Can you conceive a universe without your god?

By asking us to open our mind to heavenly aspects then certainly you must have examined the converse.

Many here were believers before, some for a very long time, yet how much time have you spent as a non-believer? Isn't it true that you are prohibited from such thoughts?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Umm, but what is not

Umm, but what is not "heavenly", and again, what is not god? Why do you worshipers insist on a master, a beginning, a creator? The earth is but an atomic speck of cosmic dust. Yes amazing, awesome, but why make religion g-awe-d shit up about it?

Wasn't story jesus a no superstition, no dogma, one with the thingy buddha like messenger of those ancient jewish times? I am an atheist fan for that obviously atheistic jesus buddha thinker. Xains are not followers of jesus, they are more like followers of saul paul .... "Paulines" many call the xains .... with good reason. Whatever, you are god as I, as all is 100% GOD .....  sheezzz, religion fucking sucks. Religion is so ungodly .....

SAVE a Christian .....      

"The religion of Jesus was that he knew he was a son of God, and the phrase "son of " means "of the nature of," so that a son of God is an individual who realizes that he is, and always has been, one with God. "I and the Father are one." .......... and,  "Let this mind be in you." that is to say, let the same kind of [rational] consciousness be in you that was in Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ knew he was God." [ you and all are christ too ]

"Wake up" [said a buddha] and find out eventually who you also really are [ god ]. In our culture of course, they'll say you're crazy or you're blasphemous, and they'll either put you in jail or in the nut house (which is the same thing). But if you wake up in India and tell your friends and relations, "My goodness, I've just discovered that I'm God," they'll laugh and say, "Oh, congratulations, at last you found out." ~ Alan Watts  ~~~~

Carl Sagan - "Pale Blue Dot" , 3 min
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M

"Wisdom of the Buddha" , 8 min
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTsb-woP3jI

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:Umm,

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Umm, but what is not "heavenly", and again, what is not god? Why do you worshipers insist on a master, a beginning, a creator? The earth is but an atomic speck of cosmic dust. Yes amazing, awesome, but why make religion g-awe-d shit up about it?

Wasn't story jesus a no superstition, no dogma, one with the thingy buddha like messenger of those ancient jewish times? I am an atheist fan for that obviously atheistic jesus buddha thinker. Xains are not followers of jesus, they are more like followers of saul paul .... "Paulines" many call the xains .... with good reason. Whatever, you are god as I, as all is 100% GOD .....  sheezzz, religion fucking sucks. Religion is so ungodly .....

SAVE a Christian .....      

"The religion of Jesus was that he knew he was a son of God, and the phrase "son of " means "of the nature of," so that a son of God is an individual who realizes that he is, and always has been, one with God. "I and the Father are one." .......... and,  "Let this mind be in you." that is to say, let the same kind of [rational] consciousness be in you that was in Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ knew he was God." [ you and all are christ too ]

"Wake up" [said a buddha] and find out eventually who you also really are [ god ]. In our culture of course, they'll say you're crazy or you're blasphemous, and they'll either put you in jail or in the nut house (which is the same thing). But if you wake up in India and tell your friends and relations, "My goodness, I've just discovered that I'm God," they'll laugh and say, "Oh, congratulations, at last you found out." ~ Alan Watts  ~~~~

Carl Sagan - "Pale Blue Dot" , 3 min
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M

"Wisdom of the Buddha" , 8 min
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTsb-woP3jI

as a refrain, i'd like to invoke mr. yeats:

Crazy Jane On God  

That lover of a night
Came when he would,
Went in the dawning light
Whether I would or no;
Men come, men go;
All things remain in God.

Banners choke the sky;
Men-at-arms tread;
Armoured horses neigh
In the narrow pass:

Before their eyes a house
That from childhood stood
Uninhabited, ruinous,
Suddenly lit up
From door to top:

I had wild Jack for a lover;
Though like a road
That men pass over
My body makes no moan
But sings on:

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
All is one, all is

All is one, all is Connected, call it what you want , but the truth is ONE .... zero seraratism .... yes , ZERO separation , none .... all is this , now ,  all is ONE .... what isn't the force ? .... I am god , as all is god, and so buddha laughed , and jesus got pissed .... because you are god , and so yes jesus , fuck those who deny my message, that we are one with the thingy .....

Lamb-of-Truth
User is offlineOffline
The Light

If you just claimed yourself of being God, prove it. I want you to part the Atlantic on command. Why not bring comets down on all theists? You have know evidence God doesn't exist, the same way you have no evidence to prove the Evolution theory. Nor the Big Bang Theory. But note they are all "Theory" which means theres not enough evidence for it to be law. So if a theory convinces you there is no God, then it's by faith that you believe.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Lamb-of-Truth wrote:The

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
The philosophy of what you said is great, but the believere worships because he/she believes that he/she is the created. Secondly, I don't think you understood the philosophy behind the Light. What I meant was that if you will not open your mind to God being of Heavenly aspects, how can you try to proove his existance by ways of unheavenly logic?

But, as you wrote earlier, the Bible was written by men and your God exists only in the Bible.

So your belief that you were created by this God, despite the evidence that you admit exists,  is not based in reality and devalues the creator while exalting the creation.

I don't have to prove God's existence - that's your job. I don't think you can pull it off but you're welcome to try.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
User is offlineOffline
And you have claimed God

And you have claimed God exists. Prove it. Frankly, we don't need to prove God Doesn't exist, you need to prove he does. These terms are not negotiable, deal with it.

Furthermore, I'm going to be kind and gentle before someone like DeludedGod decides to intervene with his Carl Gustav of Ungodly Science(tm);

Learn your Fucking Science before you try to talk about it.

Yes, those are still theories, they could be wrong, but if you had any mind at all in your head you would know that 'proof' as you so vainly desire is impossible in anything other than Mathematics. There is never enough evidence for anything to be a law. Oh I'm sure you've seen fancy 'Laws of Motion' and 'Laws of Gravity' in your pathetic High School Physics textbook, for those of us who have studied the sciences past still thinking that shooting something straight upwards in a moving vehicle and catching it is really an impressive feat, your claims are laughable. They are called laws only because the writers of those books realized, quite correctly by your complaints, that High School Students are by and large retarded and wouldn't be able to understand that being a Theory is the highest form of proof possible.

Yes, theory is used differently in science than in common language. Deal with it. And also, admitting that we could still be wrong is not a weakness, it is our greatest strength. It is because we can admit that we are wrong that we can march forwards and discover new feats of the amazing physical world, while you keep focussing on a boring and overly long as well as utterly meaningless and useless for any purpose other than beating yourself over the head with it 2000 year old book.

Nice, really.

Also, yes, we believe what we believe because of a theory, and you have a myth, congratulations (thanks to whoever posted with this argument). No matter how shaky our foundation might be, your foundation is still worse. Even if Evolution weren't supported by every single fact discovered in the field of modern biology (little hint, it is) its still a more stable platform to stand on then your bronze age superstitions.

Funny fact, Gravity is 'just a theory' too, as are every other 'theory' of science from Relativity to Heliocentrism to the Spherical Earth to Electromagnetism.

Here, read these and then come back;
Evolution is only a Theory
Evolution hasn't been proven
Go to google, and search for 'Cosmic Background Radiation'

On this inane little 'god is light' bullshit you're spouting. How can my mind ever be closed to god? God is supposed to be omnipresent, and omnipotent right? Then he can make me believe whether I want to or not, and he can do this all without violating free will (I know that's what you were planing on using for a counterargument, you've become tragically predictable). Furthermore, if God created everything, then God created logic, so it is by definition of heavenly origin. Your seperation of things into 'heavenly' and 'unheavenly' is a big red flag that just screams 'I'm just repeating what I've been told without ever thinking for myself'.

Your playing with the big kids now Slick. You need to be able to think.

@ jcgadfly; And funnily enough, that's a Sin! Gotta love it.

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Another idiot that doesn't

Another idiot that doesn't know what a theory is.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lamb-of-Truth wrote:If you

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
If you just claimed yourself of being God, prove it. I want you to part the Atlantic on command. Why not bring comets down on all theists? You have know evidence God doesn't exist, the same way you have no evidence to prove the Evolution theory. Nor the Big Bang Theory. But note they are all "Theory" which means theres not enough evidence for it to be law. So if a theory convinces you there is no God, then it's by faith that you believe.
In the context of science, the word "theory" means something quite different from the every-day use.

"Laws" are observable facts (the term doesn't get much use anymore).  Like gravity - that's an easily observable fact.

But there is also the theory of gravity. In science a theory is something that explains the facts. A proper theory must take all related facts into account, and be testable and falsifiable. For instance, with gravity theory: the planet Mercury will have an elliptical orbit because of its spacial relationship to the sun.

So the theory of "Evolution by natural selection" explains speciation, an observable fact. It explains it by including the onservable fact of mutation of offspring and the observable fact that some mutations are naturally selected "out" because it was detrimental to the survival of the animal, and the fact some are selected to be kept because it enhanced the survival of the animal, and that those animals with enhanced survival are more likely to mate and produce offspring with those new traits, and that given enough time those new traits will change the critters enough to make them a whole new species. These changes can be observed in thousands of fossils, and the results of the commonality between species as well as the differences can be seen in DNA.

For all the insistance that Evolution is "just a theory", it is one of the most tested and well evidenced theories in all of science.

As for "I Am God As You"'s claim about being god, you have to understand that he's talking about being part of the whole, the "one". Not being the monolithic superbeing you belive in.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
In the book of John, it states that God is the Light.

First off, if you are going to reference a passage from KJV, or any holy text for that matter, please cite the verse and chapter. Why ? Because this gives everyone a clearer understanding of what you are attempting to state or ask.

A couple of people have already stated how your overall analogy is askew but I would like to tackle what you've stated under a slightly different light --he-he.

By "god is the light", I will assume you mean the bible is stating that...following god is the way to understanding and happiness in this life and not that god is literally light itself.

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
Somewhere else in the bible it says that man seeks darkness.

Here you have used the infamous "somewhere else in the bible" slogan. If you really wanted to debate, informally or otherwise, this isn't doing so 'in the light'. This is you trying to either, a) avoid the work required for a rational discussion and hoping that it floats, or b) avoiding 'the real light' by tossing out to us this quickie from the darkness where you are hiding.

Let's assume for the moment in the bible it is stated that man seeks darkness. At this point I would have to assume "man" essentially means, mankind. Further,if it means literal darkness, why then I would say man seeking darkness is a very good thing. The light of day and the darkness of our nights here on Earth both have their pros and cons.

If the interpretation you draw is not literal light, but rather that man seeks evil or badness or 'his own way' rather than the way of the christian god, then I would say that this statement doesn't clearly define the times when we should trust our own instincts or rely on our brains/knowledge for anything. Saying god is love and that's the direction we should always follow doesn't account for having to choose between the lesser of two evils, which we humans often face. As one small example, our survival. E.g., There's a hurricane headed straight for our home on the coast... should we flee at once to a place that will be safer (if we do our neighbors will be all alone), should we stay put and pray and wait for an answer( does god answer every prayer), should we pray that yahweh steer the hurricane away from us (in which case he might send it into other peoples homes), should we.... etc etc

Yes, some people do deeds that by most human standards would be considered evil or bad, but this doesn't equal  mankind seeks darkness. To believe this, would be to think that mankind prefers darkness.(Again, we're not speaking of literal darkness here) A study of the crime rates of various countries where the population of Atheists is very high will clearly show you that your biblical belief on this issue is simply wrong. I'll let you do the leg work on that one if you so choose. But I will tell you that where Atheists are plentiful, crime rates are very low.

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
Also, let me just speculate, when you look for something, do you turn off the light and search within darkness?

Now, see (pun intended), you've changed "the light", from enlightenment of the mind to the light with which our eyes can perceive our surroundings. As pointed out previously, this is a poor analogy.

But to answer your question, yes, actually there are times when it is better to be searching in the dark, especially if you know roughly where the something you want to find is and you don't want anyone else to find it before you do. Actually, for most of human history this may well have been a preferred method which we now would call stealth. True, there would have been times when small amounts of light (or for example) the moon helped to guide people, but I submit that's closer to darkness than the flip on the light switch example you gave. We are able to use our other senses to perceive, find and/or interact with things as well.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lamb-of-Truth wrote:If you

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
If you just claimed yourself of being God, prove it.

Can you?

Quote:
I want you to part the Atlantic on command. Why not bring comets down on all theists?

? Bring comets down on theists? What is this in reference to?

Quote:
 You have [no] evidence God doesn't exist,

You cannot prove the non-existence of anything. Do you even have any evidence that god exists?

Quote:
the same way you have no evidence to prove the Evolution theory. Nor the Big Bang Theory. But note they are all "Theory" which means theres not enough evidence for it to be law.

Clearly you are an uneducated individual and it is most likely your mind has been filled with the lies of deluded ignorant people.

Evolution is a scientific fact. The big bang theory is supported with multiplicity of evidence.

Quote:
So if a theory convinces you there is no God, then it's by faith that you believe.

There is no theory regarding the nonexistence of god. There simply is no evidence of god, unless of course you have evidence; if you do let us know.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry I'm late to the party,

Sorry I'm late to the party, lamb.    

I'm God, because you can't prove I'm not.

I haven't been getting your 10% tithe lately, so we might have to update the mailing addresses.  I take Paypal now, if that helps.  Thanks for all the support!

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lamb-of-Truth wrote:What I

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
What I meant by misconception was that when translated, you can see a noticable difference between even the KJV and the NKJV. There may be such differances between the original Greek, Hebrew, and Roman texts to the KJV. Such differances may cause contradiction. However, I trust the KJV bible, because it survived so many years of torment.

Have you ever done any research into the basis of the KJV Bible? It is as you have said derived from the Greek but in fact a hastily assembled Greek text by Desiderius Erasmus in 1515. He based his version on a handful of medieval texts which he edited by cut and paste and went directly to print. These texts were then eventually used by the group of scholars that produced the KJV in 1611.

See the works of RRS author Rook Hawkins here. He is the local RRS expert on these subjects.

A book on this subject  is "Misquoting Jesus" by Bart D Ehrman. He details some of the problems with translation and copying. He specifically mentions problem with the KJV on pages 79, 82, and 209 though there are prior problems which contribute to contradictions and text that did not appear in the oldest available texts such as Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Vaticanus.

You have shown you have a lack of knowledge regarding the subject matter at hand by your statements claiming the reliability of the KJV Bible. It is in fact very inferior to other texts and should be considered in that light.

You have yet to detail your beliefs other than to say you are a Baptist. I have no idea if that means you take the KJV Bible literally meaning the Flood happened, Adam and Eve were the 1st humans, snakes talk, and millions flee Egypt and hide out for 40 years. You need to explain your positions.

I am an ex-fundamentalist turned Catholic with religious training including at a Jesuit Grad school. I later became an atheist. I know both the KJV and the Catholic Douay-Rheims Bibles extensively.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lamb-of-Truth wrote:I don't

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
I don't know of any misconceptions or contradictions in the KJV, but I do acknowledge they're existance. If you present some I am gladly willing to share my ideas.

Here's several for you to start with:

1- In the oldest manuscripts Mark 16 ends at verse 8. By the end of the 4th century there were 4 different endings for Mark, the oldest and most reliable versions end at Mark 16:8. Explain.

2- Isaiah 7:14 in the Hebrew version here it says: "14 Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign: behold, the young woman shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel" In the KJV here it says: "14Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel." This is part of the basis for Jesus born of a virgin. Explain.

3- Genesis has 2 different accounts of creation in chapter 1 and 2. Explain.

4- Luke versus Matthew's accounts of the birth: census at the wrong time and they go back home to Nazareth versus Herod's baby killing soldiers and flight to Egypt.

5- Multiple Choice accounts of Peter's actions in the house of the high priest:

Mark 14:53-72 - Maid says Peter is one of them, another maid sees him and they that stood by say he is one of them.

Luke 22;54-65 - Maid says Peter is one of them, A man says Peter is on of them, and another man said he is one of them.

John 18:15-27 - Woman at the door asks, the men at the fire say he is one of them, one of the high priests servants related to the man who had his ear removed by Peter

Matthew 26:69-75 - a damsel (woman) says he was one of them, a maid on the porch, and they that stood by say he speaks as they were with him.

6- Paul's escape from Damascus story: Told 2 ways: Acts 9:23-25: the Jews took council to kill him..... or as in 2 Corinthians 11:32-33: the governor sent a garrison to apprehend me....

7- Paul's conversion story told 4 ways:

Version 1- Galatians 1:11-24

Version 2 - Acts 9:3-22

Version 3 - Acts 22:6-16

Version 4 - Acts 26:12-32

8- 4 differing accounts of the capture of Jesus and the Last Supper.

9- 4 differing accounts of the trial of Jesus and involvement or not of King Herod

10- 4 differing accounts of the execution of Jesus by the Romans.

11- 4 differing accounts of the activities involving the  resurrection of Jesus

Please explain your views on these differences and contradictions.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lamb-of-Truth wrote:I don't

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
I don't know of any misconceptions or contradictions in the KJV, but I do acknowledge they're existance. If you present some I am gladly willing to share my ideas.

Gen 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

But after eating from the tree, neither Adam or Eve died

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:

That is pure phycobable. Anicdotes are not a method to mesure reality.

I can imagine having sex with Cyndi Crawford, but I am not going to claim that it will happen just because I like the idea.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lamb-of-Truth wrote:I'm

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
I'm sorry to have wasted your time, but I got a lot out of this. Just so you know, I love how those three brainwashed, or should I say "soulwashed," my once atheist mind with the blood of the one who knows all. My imaginary friend controls all but our minds. WE control our minds, allowing a flood of philosophy to drown our minds. You will not accept my view, and I already knew that. I was here to see life believing it has no life. Funny isn't. Thank you for your time. Smiling

Run away before reality hits you. We wouldn't want to take away your imaginary friend.

I love that crap, "I once was an atheist". Yea by whose definition?

Quote:
My imagicary friend controls all BUT our minds

So your all powerful God has limits?

You seriously believe, that a magic string puller with a white robe and a magical man in a red leotard battle over the googles of trillions of atoms on the planet and universe, but WONT or cant mess with the neurons in our brains?

RUN RUN RUN A WAY KIDDY, reality must be too painful for you to face. Have fun in fantasy land. Don't feel bad, you are in the majority. Most humans suffer from the delusion that a magical being will save them.

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
How this post has been here

How this post has been here so long is beyond me. This is just blatant trolling and I can't understand why anyone would even bother to reply to this troll. If he has some serious discussion, questions or debate other than meaningless tripe. The OP has morphed into several topics that have been covered in depth in other posts.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cali,That's why we're here,

Cali,

That's why we're here, to be ushers for the infirm.

Noone's transition to freethought should be as tough as some of ours have been.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:Cali,That's

darth_josh wrote:

Cali,

But when the infirm are ecstatic about their infirmity and have no intention of giving it up even when a cure is held in their faces where do the ushers go from there?

— George Carlin

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:darth_josh

jcgadfly wrote:

darth_josh wrote:

Cali,

But when the infirm are ecstatic about their infirmity and have no intention of giving it up even when a cure is held in their faces where do the ushers go from there?

In extreme instances, they become bouncers. Correct?

I'll grant that not all questions posed to this person have been answered, but with only 22 posts and under two days as a member I question the assertion that they are 'just like all the others'

Lamb-of-Truth
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:I don't have

jcgadfly wrote:

I don't have to prove God's existence - that's your job. I don't think you can pull it off but you're welcome to try.

2 Corinthians 5:7

(For we walk by faith, not by sightSmiling

This verse hit me hard. I wanted so badly to believe in God again, that I was dying for proof. This verse shows that you can't prove God's existance, because we have to "believe." You have to walk by faith first, then you know that God is there. You can feel it.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Lamb-of-Truth wrote:jcgadfly

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

This verse hit me hard. I wanted so badly to believe in God again, that I was dying for proof. This verse shows that you can't prove God's existance, because we have to "believe." You have to walk by faith first, then you know that God is there. You can feel it.

So I have to believe in your reality before your God becomes real? And even the, all I get is a good feeling?

If I add some fairy dust, will I be able to fly also?

You wanted to believe so you were reaching for anything that would give you those warm fuzzies again.

— George Carlin

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Umm, yep, I am atheist, I am

Umm, yep, I am atheist, I am god, all is one, amazing indeed, feel it ?!!!    NO Master.

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Lamb-of-Truth

jcgadfly wrote:

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

So I have to believe in your reality before your God becomes real? And even the, all I get is a good feeling?

If I add some fairy dust, will I be able to fly also?

You wanted to believe so you were reaching for anything that would give you those warm fuzzies again.

Yes, you have to believe that the bible was whispered into the ear of man, written down by fallible humans and edited under the direction of a supreme creator before you can have faith in god. Then when you have faith then god becomes real to you. Is this some type of circuliar reasoning? I don't know about anyone else but how can one have faith in someone without knowing them first? Ahh..... but you have to read the bible first before you can know god correct? What happens if your reading of the bible leads you to believe the god of the bible is an ass? Wow so many problems with this line of thinking I can't wrap my head around it.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

Lamb-of-Truth
User is offlineOffline
Yeah

Yeah, im justa kid. I'm an idiot trying to feel smarter than i really am. I was bored and i looked up "biologists on verge of creating life"... not that i wanted to put it down as "blasphemy" or something crazy that a stereotypical christian would say. I think it's fascinating. but through a few links i was led to an atheist site that said something offensive and so i wanted to reply. but i couldn't. then i was led to this site and alls i wanted to do now was just "show" how god's there.... guess i didn't do much "showing" huh? My athiest crusade started in 5th grade when i saw a science thing that showed me earth wasn't made in 7 days. i was put into turmoil untill finally i accepted there's no god around the age of 13. Im a nerd, so i watched a bunch of science crap when it came on the T.V. I'm always lonely around where i lived and one day i got an invitation to go to church. i figured it would be a good way to atleast see my brother, who doesn't live with me. I felt, "HA! This is a good way to prove God doesn't exist! When I see the preacher say all that cliche crap, I will KNOW God doesn't exist! I will only strengthen my disbelief in God." well, my head turned to mush. a bunch of influences made me feel GOD again. Im only 17, and Im still in high school, so, you couldn't have gotten a good debate out of me... i was just bored when i posted this crap.... but you all showed me alot! and i thank all of you for that!

1. REALITY

2. I WANNA BELIEVE

3. I'M GONNA BELIEVE

4. CAUSE IM TOO STUPID TO DIE KNOWING WHY

5. MY IQ IS LOWER THAN YOURS

6. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY I AM NUMBERING THIS

7. IM STILL BORED SO I MADE ANOTHER NUMBER

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lamb-of-Truth wrote:jcgadfly

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

So you are trolling, right? If one walks by faith then no amount of reason will convince you otherwise. If you are happy as a christian that's great. If you want to spread the word, go for it, but trolling only makes christianity look more pathetic. I actually enjoy many of the trolls here, if they are capable of making a thread that doesn't wander around so much. This is not a personal attack by any means, but baiting a response and meandering around discussions could be considered trolling.

JesusChristisLord
Theist
JesusChristisLord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lamb-of-Truth wrote:A

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
A majority is only stronger. That doesn't make it correct.

You atheist contradict yourselves so much. Are we the majority or the minority. Earlier on this forum one of the moderators said we are the majority and now we are the minority get your story straight.

"There is no need to be worried by facetious people who try to make Christian hope of 'Heaven' ridiculous by saying they do not want 'to spend eternity playing harps'. The answer to such people is that if they can not understand books for grown-ups they should not talk about them. All the scriptural imagery (harps, crowns, gold, etc.) is, of course, a merely symbolical attempt to express the inexpressible." -C.S. Lewis

JesusChristisLord
Theist
JesusChristisLord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Lamb-of-Truth

Brian37 wrote:

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:
I noticed a slogon... "Believe in God? We can fix that." Go ahead and try to fix me. I want to test my faith.

No one is here to test your faith. YOU need to have the ability, on your own to be unafriad to question what others have sold you. We have already gone through that process. If you want to know WHY we reject your deity claim it is quite simple.

For the same reason you would rightfully reject the absurd claim of Thor making lighting or Ra(Egyptian sun god) was actually a thinking being. When you understand WHY you reject those claims, you'll understand why we reject yours as well.

"Question with boldness the existence of God, for if there be one, surely he would pay more homage to reason than to that of blindfolded fear" Thomas Jefferson.

We are not afraid of questioning you. But more importantly are YOU afraid of questioning yourself? That is where challenges are met and learning happens, no one can force that on you, it is something you have to want.

If all you want to do is preach at us, you are wasting our time and yours.

Thomas Jefferson was Unitarian.

"There is no need to be worried by facetious people who try to make Christian hope of 'Heaven' ridiculous by saying they do not want 'to spend eternity playing harps'. The answer to such people is that if they can not understand books for grown-ups they should not talk about them. All the scriptural imagery (harps, crowns, gold, etc.) is, of course, a merely symbolical attempt to express the inexpressible." -C.S. Lewis

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Christians are the majority

Christians are the majority in the US.

Christians are a minority in the world and on this forum.

A Unitarian wouldn't have messed with the Bible as much as Jefferson did.

— George Carlin

mephistophelean
User is offlineOffline
Religion is a crutch!

RELIGION IS A CRUTCH AND ONLY CRIPPLES NEED CRUTCHES!

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
mephistophelean, You are

mephistophelean, You are wise. Thanks for posting.

iwbiek - "Crazy Jane On God" ,  Thanks for that, post 68.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

iwbiek - "Crazy Jane On God" ,  Thanks for that, post 68.

my pleasure.  in the words of van morrison, "rave on, mr. yeats!"

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yeah iwbiek ... and folks

Yeah iwbiek ... and folks say my posts are "incomprehensible" ???, go figure.    

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=VAN+MORRISON+-+RAVE+ON%2C+JOHN+DONNE+LYRICS&btnG=Search

Arj
User is offlineOffline
Lamb-of-Truth wrote:I

Lamb-of-Truth wrote:

If you're here. You are not testing faith you are testing logic/reason.

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178