Mixed Martial Arts

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mixed Martial Arts

...Is this stuff choreographed?

I'm pretty sure it is, having watched UFC a number of times (...and then there's the telling sign that a number of popular pro wrestlers have entered the circuit). There's just way too large a disparity between what these guys look like after a fight and what, say, a pro boxer looks like after a fight (See: terrible bruised and mangled). Some of the 'special moves' seem way too similar to pro wrestling counterparts and don't seem like they would be practical in an actual fight (See: 'the flying guillotine'), and - perhaps most obviously - the fights just aren't over fast enough (there's certainly never an 'anti-climax', like say Joe Frasier vs George Foreman). In a genuine fistfight, generally speaking, a blow to the head is a serious affair. Brutally exchanging them over a period of minutes simply isn't going to happen - a person will black-out due to the trauma (Consider: Miyamoto Musashi's duels, in which he used a crude wooden bokken, typically lasted no more than two exchanges before his opponent was outright dead).

Where are the shattered limb joints (anyone who's taken a rudimentary self-defense course knows how easy these are to inflict on a person of roughly equal weight / strength)? Where are the parries (typically associated with said fractures)? The snap-kicks? Thrust punches?

For 'martial arts', it's like none I'm familiar with (that is: a set of techniques mean to counter an attacker so brutally as to disable them. Thus 'self-defense') :P

Anyone else know much about this new 'extreme' sport? Anyone know something that would challenge my view of it as a mere rebranding of the pro Wrestling industry?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've watched UFC events twice now and...

I'm not sure if i'd agree with you Kevin.  In the events that I've watched I've seen guys badly bruised and bleeding after only the first round.  I've also seen guys go down with one punch to the head.  I'd even say that the hits look real enough, even in slo mo.  Check out the punch between 00:57 and 1:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Ge9Qjm_PE

I've only seen it twice though so I might be falling for it.  There's one guy I know that refuses to believe it's real until someone gets killed.  Seems it's his measure of a true contact sport.

M

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
MMA like the UFC is real,

MMA like the UFC is real, BUT they have a strict code they have to follow when entering the ring (as to not actually kill each other... out-right, at least >.>  )

This is the reason you'll see some one use a "move" that you wouldnt actually do (let alone pull off) in real life. Both the attacker and defender have to stick to the rules. Hell... half the stuff they do on the ground would be impossible in real life if it wasnt regulated (notice, no kicking to certain body areas while the guys on the ground? head/groin/rib cage ), not allowed to choke a guy out with your bare hand (cause, you know... ripping out some ones juggular is a real possiblity). Fighters have to abide by these rules or their docked points, or disqualified, like boxing (punching below the shorts waist band ).

What are people expecting? some one to be beaten over the head with a dismembered limb?... your fooling yourself... besides, if thats what you wanted >.> all you need do is ask old Doomy for a link ^_^

Thats what makes it a sport and not a snuff film

What Would Kharn Do?

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tim Sylvia's arm was broken

Tim Sylvia's arm was broken by Frank Mir  ( it's on video, you can see the arm break )....Mirko Filipovic was knocked out instantly from a high kick from Gabrial Gonzaga, Mirko fell backwards and twisted his foot 180 degrees behind him ( it's on video ) etc.  It's real.  I wouldn't watch it if I thought it was fake.

hazindu
Superfan
hazindu's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:...Is

Kevin R Brown wrote:

No

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it is, having watched UFC a number of times (...and then there's the telling sign that a number of popular pro wrestlers have entered the circuit).
lesnar is the only one I'm aware of??
Quote:
There's just way too large a disparity between what these guys look like after a fight and what, say, a pro boxer looks like after a fight (See: terrible bruised and mangled).
Many bruises don't show up immediately, wait for the post event press conference then check out the faces.
Quote:
Some of the 'special moves' seem way too similar to pro wrestling counterparts and don't seem like they would be practical in an actual fight (See: 'the flying guillotine'),
'Flying' <insert submission> are extremely rare and only pulled off by some of the best submission fighters.
Quote:
and - perhaps most obviously - the fights just aren't over fast enough (there's certainly never an 'anti-climax', like say Joe Frasier vs George Foreman).
Many fights do end quickly, and many fights do end in an anti climactic way.  The Wandy vs Chuck fight was one of the most exciting fights of that year, but in the last 30 seconds of the fight, chuck took wandy to the ground and basically just held him there to wait out the time to win by decision. 
Quote:
In a genuine fistfight, generally speaking, a blow to the head is a serious affair. Brutally exchanging them over a period of minutes simply isn't going to happen - a person will black-out due to the trauma
  How many fights have you been in?  What kind of shape are you in?  How many free clean punches do you give up?  How relaxed do you stay?
Quote:
Where are the shattered limb joints
  Most fighters tap before said injury occurs to avoid unnecessary months of rehab.
Quote:
(anyone who's taken a rudimentary self-defense course knows how easy these are to inflict on a person of roughly equal weight / strength)? Where are the parries (typically associated with said fractures)? The snap-kicks? Thrust punches?
Anyone who's taken more than rudimentary self defense coarses knows that rudimentary self defense coarses are not very useful, at least among people who know how to fight.

Quote:
For 'martial arts', it's like none I'm familiar with (that is: a set of techniques mean to counter an attacker so brutally as to disable them. Thus 'self-defense') :P
Mixed martial artist train for what actually works in mixed martial arts.

Quote:
rebranding of the pro Wrestling industry?
That's the kind of uninformed comment I expect while debating a theist.

"I've yet to witness circumstance successfully manipulated through the babbling of ritualistic nonsense to an imaginary deity." -- me (josh)

If god can do anything, can he make a hot dog so big even he can't eat all of it?

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
UFC is so-so, but if you

UFC is so-so, but if you want to see some great fights, check out PRIDE. It's based in Japan, and has a better system of rules (i.e. fewer rules, but ones that make more sense). Do a search for Fedor Emelianenko. Dailymotion.com has lots of videos. Check out his fight against Kevin Randleman. No way that's staged.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:UFC is so-so,

natural wrote:

UFC is so-so, but if you want to see some great fights, check out PRIDE. It's based in Japan, and has a better system of rules (i.e. fewer rules, but ones that make more sense). Do a search for Fedor Emelianenko. Dailymotion.com has lots of videos. Check out his fight against Kevin Randleman. No way that's staged.

I believe Pride has bit the dust as an organization.  It no longer exists.

Kevin, forget the heresay evidence that we are providing you with.  You're young.  Go find a MMA school or reasonable facsimile, train and compete at the local level.  Your questions will be answered.

PS, here's a low quality picture of Fedor Ememlianenko after his victory over Mirko Filipovic.

Judging by Fedor's face I say that no, his violent encounter with Mirko was not "faked" in any way shape or form.  Watch some vids of these guys.  If you still believe it's fake,  it's no problem for me.

Cheers, dude.

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote: all

The Doomed Soul wrote:
all you need do is ask old Doomy for a link ^_^

Gimme link! Laughing out loud

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nah. UFC and wrestling are

Nah. UFC and wrestling are as far apart as hockey and baseball. Even in wrestling, only a certain portion of a match is scripted before hand. Mostly it's the storylines and match endings that are scripted, with the big pops midway through the match as well. UFC is just like boxing in that there is no major managerial interference. For one thing, many of the competitors wouldn't stand for it. Even in wrestling it has caused massive problems with big stars over the years.

*cough Bret Hart cough*

For another, a sport such as this depends too much on advertisers to screw around. Just think what would happen to the NFL if it were revealed that for the past 20 years the super bowl was predetermined? No more NFL.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

LovE-RicH
LovE-RicH's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been following PRIDE

I've been following PRIDE since 2001 and am a big fan of Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, I have all his fights on video. He also inspired me to start training Savate (French kicboxing).

It's real.

MMA Highlights - UFC, PRIDE, etc.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for that Rich...I'd

Thanks for that Rich...

I'd like to introduce the Jury, to exhibit A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkca0XKWDzQ

(14 seconds aint gonna kill ya)

After watching this short clip, you'll come to realise that... well... i'll wait till you stop cringing

All done? Good, as you can see... Whitey kicked with all his might, and Blacky decided to block with his knee... Blacky's knee won... and Whitey aint gonna walk for years let alone fight.

What Would Kharn Do?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
From a fighters view

I personally do train in various martial arts, well boxing, muay thai, jiu jitsu and wrestling (well grappling) there is a huge difference between boxing and MMA imho. while boxing does occur a large amount of facial damage (mainly because that's where the majority of the hits are directed to) MMA involves far more body shots and of course on ground grappling/wrestling. Boxers aren't allowed to grapple of course and no kicks to the body (which actually can hurt far more than a shot to the head). Now the rules in MMA are there for the protection of the fighters, yes we all want to see a good fight and sure broken bones are a plus, however if every fight ended with broken bones, there wouldn't be that many fights. Broken bones take time to heal and even more time before your ready to fight again, which is why the tap out rule is there. If you like to see a bloody MMA fight with lots of facial damage, Tito Ortiz vs Ken Shamrock ( any of those fights) Matt Huges vs Hoyce Gracie (Gracie got his ASS kicked) Hell even Lesnar (who is fucking fast for a large guy) vs Heath Herring, Herring's eye closed up quickly during the fight after 1 punch to the head. Now most fighters are taught how to take a punch to minumize damage, of course you can only take so many before damage starts to show up (which is why boxers look alot worse than MMA fighters usually) of course being surprised by a punch (lesnar to herring is a good example) it's going to hurt.

As well there aren't any elbows involved in MMA or Boxing, if you see the fight they don't actually hit with the elbow, but with the forearm as elbows can actually cause a lot of damage to the victim as well it can cause some damage to the fighter. Now a street fight, there are no rules I have see bloody fights, nose busted open, eye busted open, missing teeth, broken bones of all sorts, but that's because there are no rules and because most of the time the actual fighters aren't fighters but drunken idiots or wanna be tough guys. A real good fighter can cause a shit load of pain without making you bleed. On the topic of blood if you notice, even in boxing, the fighters have vaseline put on their faces, which helps the punch slide off insdes of having the leather glove tear the skin. That's my take on it.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:That's the kind of

Quote:
That's the kind of uninformed comment I expect while debating a theist.

...That's why it was part of a question, rather than a statement.

But, yes - I stand corrected. The evidence very strongly suggests that stuff is real (I was simply suspicious after watching a couple of episodes of UFC, what with all the smack-talk and typical WWE-esque theatrics).

Interesting. Still not sure I'd watch weapon-free sparring, though.

...The last fight I was in was when I got jumped by a gang of natives (I think there were perhaps six of them?). They wanted my cellphone, and I rather foolishly decided I wanted to hang onto it. I was indeed fairly badly marked-up (and, of course, lost my phone anyway), while my 'technique' involved attempted to jump onto the back of the alpha male of the group (which was partially successful) and get a big hunk of his cheek between my teeth to tear-off (which failed miserably. Biting is suriprisingly difficult in a fight) in hopes that the ensuing fountain of blood would deter further attacks (and that the ensuing infection might put a permanent end to the fellow's criminal activity).

In hindsight, I'd have been better-off just trading punches (I can't hit terribly hard, but the number of punches I can soak before feeling the effects of might come as a surprise).

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
LovE-RicH wrote:I've been

LovE-RicH wrote:
I've been following PRIDE since 2001 and am a big fan of Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, I have all his fights on video. He also inspired me to start training Savate (French kicboxing).

It's real.

Wow. That's brutal.

It has inspired me to resume my training in the art known as Bukbuk Bahkaw, the Yella Chicken art of avoiding getting my li'l butt whooped by big scary guys who know a thing or two about ringing your bell.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i prefer blunt objects

i prefer blunt objects myself.  definitely a melee man (i'm about 5'10", just over 200, low center of gravity).  i have a blackthorn shillelagh, ordered direct from ireland (inspired by my hero, monk from scorsese's "gangs of new york" ).  i also once contemplated ordering an actual fighting-quality mace from cold steel, but decided i might get too excited and end up in jail.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
I trained in brazilian jiu

I trained in brazilian jiu jitsu for a little over a year, I've been caught in arm bars, triangle chokes, guillotines, kimuras, collar chokes, etc etc and I can assure you they hurt and people aren't just tapping out because that was the script.

Never pulled off a flying submission of any kind though, lol.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
UFC 88

If you have any doubts if it's real, in the next few days watch a few clips from UFC 88, specifically Franklin vs Hammil, franklins is cut bad in the upper right eye, skin goes missing too, big cut, but wins by TKO with a kick to the liver of Hammil, which just drops and taps (been kicked once there and I can tell ya, it HURTS) Then get the clip of Evans vs Liddel, watch the knock out punch, especially if they have it in slo mo...it's SICK, and I mean SICKENING, to see the jaw move like it does and then if they show the shot from behind, to see the neck snap the way it does (no fakery to it) just sickening...and if you get to hear the hit again loud and just made me cringe, Liddel was knocked the fuck out...to next tuesday...of next year. I think liddel was down for a good 2 or 3 minutes if not longer before he got up to the stool.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Here's a gif of that knock

Here's a gif of that knock out ...

and  Franklin's kick to the liver....

( ps,  YouTube seems to be in the habit of frequently removing UFC fights from their website for "legal" reasons... )

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:...Is

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Oh no you di-ent.

It's about as real as rugby. The two sports I've participated in are rugby and MMA, and they're both very much real (in the sense that the show isn't as important to the participants as winning).

Kevin wrote:
... disparity between what these guys look like after a fight and what, say, a pro boxer looks like after a fight

Boxers actually get each other in the head more frequently than do MMA fighters. Boxers also end up with more brain damage. It's the nature of the game - boxers have two target areas, and no submission option.

Kevin wrote:
Some of the 'special moves' seem way too similar to pro wrestling counterparts and don't seem like they would be practical in an actual fight

I take it you've never experienced an "actual fight" before (the existence of which is something like "God" - everyone talks about it, but few have experienced anything beyond what could be called a "scuffle"). The problem with "actual" fights is that either you have someone trained picking on someone without training (bullying) or two morons embarrassing themselves because they don't know how to fight. There's no such thing as a real fight.

Kevin wrote:
In a genuine fistfight, generally speaking, a blow to the head is a serious affair. Brutally exchanging them over a period of minutes simply isn't going to happen - a person will black-out due to the trauma

I'd like you to try something for me: punch the wall. Don't think it's a good idea? That's because even trained hands can break hitting someone. Untrained hands are like grandma's china. There's also a big difference between how resilient a boxer or MMA athlete is when compared to someone who might participate in whatever a "genuine fistfight" is.

Kevin wrote:
For 'martial arts', it's like none I'm familiar with (that is: a set of techniques mean to counter an attacker so brutally as to disable them.

If you're not familiar with Thai boxing or Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, then yeah, MMA would be like none you're familiar with.

Kevin wrote:
Anyone else know much about this new 'extreme' sport?

It's hardly new. I remember watching Royce Gracie choke Ken Shamrock out in the first UFC, and Vale Tudo has been around in Brazil and Japan for a really long time. Before that, it was a sport in the ancient Olympic games (pancration) a couple of thousand years ago.

Even having guys wrap their hands isn't new - there's an ancient bronze statue of a boxer with his hands wrapped (which I'd be able to find, except that I'm using a terminal to access the internet).

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: Even

HisWillness wrote:
Even having guys wrap their hands isn't new - there's an ancient bronze statue of a boxer with his hands wrapped (which I'd be able to find, except that I'm using a terminal to access the internet).

Will, is this the statue you're thinking of ?

Link to article   http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Arts/Boxer.htm

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Though hopefully not wrapped

Though hopefully not wrapped in bronze....  Smiling

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I remember reading that

I remember reading that regular (bare knuckle) boxing was too tame for the Romans so they had the boxers wear SPIKED gloves!

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
UFC has gone way downhill

UFC has gone way downhill since Dana White took over the operation.  The initial problem was the fact that people were getting severely injured, thus prompting several states to ban UFC, which wasn't at all good for revenue.  He toned it down quite a bit, added rules and rounds, and now it's become an unholy amalgamation of self-aggrandizing machismo, cheap cologne, and overpriced energy drinks. 

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Will,

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Will, is this the statue you're thinking of ?

That's the one! Thanks.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
phooney wrote:Though

phooney wrote:

Though hopefully not wrapped in bronze....  Smiling

Ow.

hazindu
Superfan
hazindu's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:UFC has gone way

jmm wrote:

UFC has gone way downhill since Dana White took over the operation.  The initial problem was the fact that people were getting severely injured, thus prompting several states to ban UFC, which wasn't at all good for revenue.  He toned it down quite a bit, added rules and rounds, and now it's become an unholy amalgamation of self-aggrandizing machismo, cheap cologne, and overpriced energy drinks. 

I don't know how you define 'severely injured', but the UFC has never had a life threatening injury as a direct result of a fight in its entire existence.  The UFC was ilegal in so many states for so long out of ignorance and prejudice.  What Zuffa did was change the UFC from mostly amateur bale tudo to a booming legal sport.  Actually, the transition began while the Gracie's were still in charge.  Btw, sponsoships allow fighters to actually make a living off the sport, and I think that's fair considering that training is a full time job.

"I've yet to witness circumstance successfully manipulated through the babbling of ritualistic nonsense to an imaginary deity." -- me (josh)

If god can do anything, can he make a hot dog so big even he can't eat all of it?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:UFC has gone way

jmm wrote:

Perhaps the quality of the show has gone down, but it's also making a lot more money now, and has a much larger following. I'd only heard of UFC in passing before Dana took over and put it on cable.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
I disagree here

jmm wrote:

I remember when it started way back in the early to mid 90's when it started to get banned everywhere, there was no weight class, no rules really, it was an all out fight, but those that fought really had one discipline, either they were a boxer, a jiu-jitsu fighter, wrestler, etc, etc, etc. But one could see a 6'5" fighter against a 5'5" fighter with 400 LBS difference as was the case of Keith Hackney vs Emmanuel Yarborough 5'11" vs 6'8", keith fractured his hand on this one. The rules were just not there and with the exception of no biting, no eye gouging, the rest like headbutting, groin punches and fish hooking where looked down on, but it didn't stop fighters from doing that at all. yeah it was brutal, but it wasn't really that good.

These days the fighters are better, they are more well rounded, weight classes make a far better, and it is about skill and no just brute force that some fighters in the past used. To make the case Previous champion and hall of famer Royce gracie got destroyed by Matt Hughes which he told Gracie that this wasn't the UFC of the past, that fighters of this UFC could defeat UFC fighters of the past because they are well trained on both striking and in grappling. Ken Shamrock is another of the past UFC which did not fair well in the new UFC he got his ass handed to him many times, especially against Tito Ortiz. Naw this UFC is far better than the Old UFC. You can't be a one trick pony show anymore.

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Well I've got no time for

Well I've got no time for boxing it fact I find it pretty sickening. Any sport where the prime purpose is to brain damage your opponent (which is what knocking someone out is) should be totally banned.

I don't have a problem with other contact sports where injury (or even death) may occur if that isnt the prime objective of the game but just a side effect. I believe  a lot of the martial art sports the idea is to make contact rather than break someones bones which is fair enough (accidents do happen).

PS ladies mud wresting is perfectly acceptable

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote:Well I've got

mrjonno wrote:

Well I've got no time for boxing it fact I find it pretty sickening. Any sport where the prime purpose is to brain damage your opponent (which is what knocking someone out is) should be totally banned.

why?  i mean, boxers know the risks and they accept them.  it's not like they beat up kids or puppies.  i hate it when governments step in and try to regulate what is personally good for YOU.  and i for one don't want my tax money wasted on imprisoning or prosecuting some poor bastard who just wanted to play a sport, even if i do think said sport is idiotic.  as long as nobody else is getting involuntarily physically harmed, the government needs to mind its own fucking business, i.e., keeping the country's infrastructure running, catching those who harm others against their will, and making sure we don't get nuked.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Sorry one of the roles of

Sorry one of the roles of society (Americans call that government) is protecting people from themselves. If someone injuries themselves I personally as a tax payer have a responsibility for ensuring they are treated.

I can't think of a more important role for government that ensuring its population is healthy, its why we have laws on seat belts, motorcycle helmets and minimum holidays etc. It's also why tend to regulate unhealthy products (I generally prefer taxing to banning but its a lot easier to shut down boxing)

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe it's just the

Maybe it's just the quasi-grappler in me, but I don't really like how they changed the rules to make it a more stand-up game.  Adding gloves, rounds and stand-up rules kind of detract a little bit from what I think the early UFCs were trying to demonstrate, i.e the clash of styles.  I don't like that the fighters don't have to worry about getting kicked or kneed when they're down, I think Pride had the right idea on that one.  I don't like that fighters can 'hide' behind the rules like that, and they can just turtle up until the ref stands them up.

Now they have to aim to be the best at a particular sport, rather than going in just for the fight (read: Chuck winding down the clock).  Perhaps it is neccesary though in order for anything like this to exist on the kind of scale it now does.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote: If someone

mrjonno wrote:

If someone injuries themselves I personally as a tax payer have a responsibility for ensuring they are treated.

How sad for you mj   ....welcome to the real world.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck

latincanuck wrote:

I remember when it started way back in the early to mid 90's when it started to get banned everywhere...

BTW, John McCain was on the band wagon to ban the sport of MMA....what a control freak, loser.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote:Sorry one of

mrjonno wrote:
Sorry one of the roles of society (Americans call that government) is protecting people from themselves. If someone injuries themselves I personally as a tax payer have a responsibility for ensuring they are treated.

I can't think of a more important role for government that ensuring its population is healthy, its why we have laws on seat belts, motorcycle helmets and minimum holidays etc. It's also why tend to regulate unhealthy products (I generally prefer taxing to banning but its a lot easier to shut down boxing)

Hello MrJonno, this is your society speaking.

We have noticed that you have not chosen a god-belief yet. In order to protect you from yourself, we have chosen Southern Baptist for you. Please start believing by the end of the week. Failure to believe could result in fines, increased income tax, or prison.

It has also come to our attention that you enjoy a slice of cake now an again. Because of the rich caloric content and carbohydrates, we must insist that you have no more than 2oz of cake per month. Any attempt to consume more than 2oz of cake in a 30 day period could result in higher income taxes.

I agree that a society should provide services to help its members lead better lives. However, I don't think I need to be cared for or told what I can and can't do with my body.

Provide basic health care? Ok, I'm hip to my taxes paying for that. Banning a consentual activity, no matter how brutal or immoral, no.

If I can say that this mixed martial arts sport is immoral and it should be banned, I've allowed others to say that my being a lesbian is immoral and can be banned.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
phooney wrote:Maybe it's

phooney wrote:

Maybe it's just the quasi-grappler in me, but I don't really like how they changed the rules to make it a more stand-up game.  Adding gloves, rounds and stand-up rules kind of detract a little bit from what I think the early UFCs were trying to demonstrate, i.e the clash of styles.  I don't like that the fighters don't have to worry about getting kicked or kneed when they're down, I think Pride had the right idea on that one.  I don't like that fighters can 'hide' behind the rules like that, and they can just turtle up until the ref stands them up.

Now they have to aim to be the best at a particular sport, rather than going in just for the fight (read: Chuck winding down the clock).  Perhaps it is neccesary though in order for anything like this to exist on the kind of scale it now does.

I don't mind the best in a particular discipline/sport, however how many wrestling matches (real wrestling not WWE or TNA crap), Muay thai fights, Jiu jitsu or any other disciple that allows groin shots, hair pulling and eye gouging, the no kicking rule is to make sure that opponents aren't kicked in the face, again another rule that practically all martial disciples follow, sure there are kicks to the body, but never to the face in sanctioned fights when the fighter is on the ground. As for the stand up rule, hey if the fighters aren't doing anything, why not stand them up, better than just letting them stay on the ground and do nothing. As long as they are doing something they won't be stopped.

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

mrjonno wrote:

If someone injuries themselves I personally as a tax payer have a responsibility for ensuring they are treated.

In my real world I do not just have moral responsibility I have a legal one (ie taxes) to pay for a national health service. You injure yourself in a consenting legal assault then I pick up part of the bill.

As for higher taxes on unhealthy foods thats probably going to be inevitable its already being discussed in the UK and probably the only reason higher taxes arent havent started on unhealthy  food is the cost of actually implenenting and categorising food but I certainly have nothing against that in principle

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:why?  i mean,

iwbiek wrote:

why?  i mean, boxers know the risks and they accept them.  it's not like they beat up kids or puppies.  i hate it when governments step in and try to regulate what is personally good for YOU.  and i for one don't want my tax money wasted on imprisoning or prosecuting some poor bastard who just wanted to play a sport, even if i do think said sport is idiotic.  as long as nobody else is getting involuntarily physically harmed, the government needs to mind its own fucking business, i.e., keeping the country's infrastructure running, catching those who harm others against their will, and making sure we don't get nuked.

So... are you for, or against Dog Fighting?

What Would Kharn Do?

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno

mrjonno wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

mrjonno wrote:

In my real world I do not just have moral responsibility I have a legal one (ie taxes) to pay for a national health service. You injure yourself in a consenting legal assault then I pick up part of the bill.

As for higher taxes on unhealthy foods thats probably going to be inevitable its already being discussed in the UK and probably the only reason higher taxes arent havent started on unhealthy  food is the cost of actually implenenting and categorising food but I certainly have nothing against that in principle

Does it also make you angry that you have to pay for  medical costs of aids patients ?  Statistically most were just having recreational sex and then acquired the virus that you now have to pay for.  Are you for banning unprotected sex and criminalizing the offenders ?

( Your bigoted opinion is based upon personal politics and not economics.  Investigate the cost difference between treating the two groups and tell me where the greater financial loss comes from.... )

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Does it also make you angry

Does it also make you angry that you have to pay for  medical costs of aids patients ?  Statistically most were just having recreational sex and then acquired the virus that you now have to pay for.  Are you for banning unprotected sex and criminalizing the offenders ?
( Your bigoted opinion is based upon personal politics and not economics.  Investigate the cost difference between treating the two groups and tell me where the greater financial loss comes from.... )

You can hardly enforce a ban on people having dangerous sex (through the vast majority of people with aids these days are born with it) and even if you could the costs both financial and even defining it would cripple the economy.

Boxing bad, relatively simple to stop so ban it (economics and personal opinion). Whether you restrict an activity has to be balanced versus the damage it does to society and the damage you will do by banning it.

It's why alcohol is restricted but legal in most countries, its damage is enormous but as can be seen from history restricting it is even more damaging. I would probably prefer most other drugs to be legal (but restricted,taxed etc) not because they are good or crap like personal freedom but because their ban hurts more.

I despise libertarianism the more I hear people talking about because it forgets one fundamental problem , every act a person does including being born , breathing or dying has negative effects on just about everyone else on the planet.

You are born into the big web of society and you will never leave it

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno

mrjonno wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

mrjonno wrote:

isn't UFC mostly an american thing?  since when do american taxpayers owe dick for healthcare?

--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote:Does it also

mrjonno wrote:

You can hardly enforce a ban on people having dangerous sex (through the vast majority of people with aids these days are born with it) and even if you could the costs both financial and even defining it would cripple the economy.

Boxing bad, relatively simple to stop so ban it (economics and personal opinion). Whether you restrict an activity has to be balanced versus the damage it does to society and the damage you will do by banning it.

It's why alcohol is restricted but legal in most countries, its damage is enormous but as can be seen from history restricting it is even more damaging. I would probably prefer most other drugs to be legal (but restricted,taxed etc) not because they are good or crap like personal freedom but because their ban hurts more.

I despise libertarianism the more I hear people talking about because it forgets one fundamental problem , every act a person does including being born , breathing or dying has negative effects on just about everyone else on the planet.

please give me an example how boxing or any other combative sport has a CONCRETE (i.e., financial, bodily) impact on any nonconsenting adult in the real world?  even if you live in a country with socialized healthcare (which americans don't have), how about waivers?  i'm sure most if not all competitive fighters sign them.  even in europe or canada, furnish them with a waiver saying, in effect, "if i get fucked up in competitive fighting i will have no recourse to state healthcare."  isn't that a lot simpler (and cheaper: printed paper vs. cops) than banning it altogether?

btw, i'm not a libertarian. i'm a marxist.  fuck it, communist, if you will.  i believe the state should regulate a shitload of stuff (in the initial stages of the revolution, at least).  but consentual activities, no.

--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Hello

JillSwift wrote:

Hello MrJonno, this is your society speaking.

We have noticed that you have not chosen a god-belief yet. In order to protect you from yourself, we have chosen Southern Baptist for you. Please start believing by the end of the week. Failure to believe could result in fines, increased income tax, or prison.

It has also come to our attention that you enjoy a slice of cake now an again. Because of the rich caloric content and carbohydrates, we must insist that you have no more than 2oz of cake per month. Any attempt to consume more than 2oz of cake in a 30 day period could result in higher income taxes.

I agree that a society should provide services to help its members lead better lives. However, I don't think I need to be cared for or told what I can and can't do with my body.

Provide basic health care? Ok, I'm hip to my taxes paying for that. Banning a consentual activity, no matter how brutal or immoral, no.

If I can say that this mixed martial arts sport is immoral and it should be banned, I've allowed others to say that my being a lesbian is immoral and can be banned.

ah, once again the lady has said it better than i ever could.  here, dahlin', have a helpin' of baby liver on me.

--Hunter S. Thompson

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote:   You are

mrjonno wrote:

Why mrjonno, you are positively Orwellian !!! ...

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Did anyone hear about the

Did anyone hear about the accidental death of UFC fighter Evan Tanner ?  Apparently he was hiking in the desert out in California and ran out of provisions and died from heat exhaustion.  Man, that is just sad...poor guy. 

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/9/9/610540/remembering-evan-tanner

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Did

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Did anyone hear about the accidental death of UFC fighter Evan Tanner ?  Apparently he was hiking in the desert out in California and ran out of provisions and died from heat exhaustion.  Man, that is just sad...poor guy. 

Not exactly Darwin Award worthy... but definetly stupid

What Would Kharn Do?

dj_kenshin
dj_kenshin's picture
User is offlineOffline
actually

MMA organizations like UFC, Pride Fighting, and K1 are definatly  NOT choreographed. To be honest, i dont even understand how anyone could begin to think they are. i know this because i'm extremely well versed in martial arts. i've been doing it since i was four. I train at Knuckle Up in Douglasville GA. I one day hope to fight professionally, i just need a sponsor. Every fight you see on TV or in person is real. The reason the don't tear each other limb from limb is because there are rules. your not out to break bones and kill the other guy, because if they were, trust me when i say that they would. The blood that these guys bleed is from natural circumstance of the sport.

LovE-RicH
LovE-RicH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Some highlights of my

Some highlights of my favourite fighter...