Another attempt at censoring

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another attempt at censoring

Crucified-Frog Sculpture Troubles the Pope

Compiled by Julie BloomPublished: August 27, 2008

Pope Benedict XVI has condemned a sculpture of a crucified frog on display at a museum in Bolzano, Italy, the Italian news agency ANSA reported. Franz Pahl, an official from the Trentino-Alto Adige region in northern Italy, said the pope had written to him to complain about the frog, which was installed in May at Museion, the modern-art museum in Bolzano. In a letter dated Aug. 7, Pope Benedict said that the sculpture “injured the religious feeling of many people who see in the Cross the symbol of the love of God and of our salvation, which deserves recognition and religious devotion.” The work, by the German artist Martin Kippenberger, who died in 1997, depicts a frog nailed to a cross with a mug of beer in one hand and an egg in the other. According to ANSA, the museum’s curators contend that the work is a self-portrait of the artist “in a state of profound crisis” and is not an attack on religion. While they have moved the sculpture away from the museum entrance, they refuse to remove it. Members of the provincial government, who form a majority on the museum’s board, said they would ask for the work to be taken down when they meet with museum officials on Thursday. 

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
I really didn't expect

I really didn't expect anything less from christians.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I'm offended cos it's kinda

I'm offended cos it's kinda sucky.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would slap an apron on it

I would slap an apron on it and put it in my kitchen.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
That cross-eyed old Kraut's

That cross-eyed old Kraut's just getting pissed off now?  That thing's ten years old, already.  I do enjoy the semi-Lovecraftian elements.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I heard of this but that was

I heard of this but that was the first picture I saw. It made me laugh.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
ART???????????????

There are people who have an ideal and opinion of art and what art is,   more importantly they can tell the rest of civilization what art is, I do not know what I would do without their directions: probably have my own opinion,  but I'm only guessing.

The frog is NOT ART, but it does remind me of anatomy class in Junior High, we disected a frog just before the lunch bell.  The bell went off and frog taste a lot like chicken;  if you like chicken.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm offended as it reminds

I'm offended as it reminds me of Kermit the frog and I really like Kermit.Another than that, it's pretty lame, but I'm sure it's more important the church deal with this than molester priests and stuff.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

nikimoto
nikimoto's picture
User is offlineOffline
What does "injured the

What does "injured the religious feeling" mean ?

If you've cornered the market on the ultimate truth and God is on your side etc. how can something so trivial hurt you?

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm offended by the pope's

I'm offended by the pope's dress. I mean really, floor length and ermine in the daytime? How gauche.

The frog, on the other hand, is kinda cute.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:I'm offended

JillSwift wrote:

I'm offended by the pope's dress. I mean really, floor length and ermine in the daytime? How gauche.

The frog, on the other hand, is kinda cute.

LOL

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
indecent jesus

MattShizzle wrote:

speaking on wishing there was a picture - i just read this.

An art gallery is facing a trial at crown court over claims it displayed an indecent statue of Jesus Christ

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:speaking

shelleymtjoy wrote:

An art gallery is facing a trial at crown court over claims it displayed an indecent statue of Jesus Christ

The Sun (ugh!) to the rescue:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article677221.ece

An older peice from January of this year, but it's about the same art.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
thx!although it's not as

thx!

although it's not as erotic as i was hoping. Eye-wink

from the article:"I have written asking for the statue's destruction."

wtf? it's not only shouldn't be displayed, it should be destroyed?!

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would prefer to see an

I would prefer to see an artistic rendition of a crucifix with an image of the current Pope on it.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy

shelleymtjoy wrote:
thx!

It is totally weird that they have such fits over such minor things. I mean, have a look at this piece. Now, that's erotic religious imagery, not to mention decidedly bizarre. Where's the fits over that?

shelleymtjoy wrote:

Nothing's too much when you're protecting a god. They're such delicate li'l things.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:I

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
I would prefer to see an artistic rendition of a crucifix with an image of the current Pope on it.
How about a crucifix with the current pope on it?

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy

shelleymtjoy wrote:

thx!

Yes, destroy the little froggy cross......... and replace it with a large statue of a Catholic Priest sodomizing a choir boy. 

At least the sodomy statue would represent reality and remind us of those religious sex perverts who were allowed to hide behind the Pope's robes.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
nikimoto wrote:What does

nikimoto wrote:

What does "injured the religious feeling" mean ?

If you've cornered the market on the ultimate truth and God is on your side etc. how can something so trivial hurt you?

Censoring it would be removing it from the museum completely, according to this that is not what happened.

BUT, in any case it shows how shallow believers are in their belief that god is all powerful. If that is the case then no amount of blasphemy can penetrate Superman's bullet proof "S".

I have said it before and I will say it again.

When people shout, "Don't pick on my god" I get an image of a midget standing spread eagle in front of the "Terminator" with the midget shouting, "Don't hit him, you might hurt him!"

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:It is totally weird

Quote:
It is totally weird that they have such fits over such minor things. I mean, have a look at this piece. Now, that's erotic religious imagery, not to mention decidedly bizarre. Where's the fits over that?

Now that's tasteful without being gaudy!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy

shelleymtjoy wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

Just for amusment here is a sculpture by the same artist entitled Big White Cock

Here is more of his work http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/artists/terence_koh.htm

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Arkanrais
Arkanrais's picture
User is offlineOffline
not even a mention of

not even a mention of JackHammer Jesus!

funny how these christians pick on the 'blasphemous' art that is, for the most part, only slightly blasphemous or not even intended to be. they don't ever seem to go after things like T-shirts that have 'jesus is a cunt' written across the back in large letters or religious sex toys as above.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Or the "Jesus Fucking

Or the "Jesus Fucking Christ" picture I had posted a couple times!

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
 HE HAS RISEN!!!

HE HAS RISEN!!!

prisonnurse1
User is offlineOffline
there is a use for Jesus

there is a use for Jesus afterall...he'd make a great coatrack!

Jello
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

There are people who have an ideal and opinion of art and what art is,   more importantly they can tell the rest of civilization what art is, I do not know what I would do without their directions: probably have my own opinion,  but I'm only guessing.

The frog is NOT ART, but it does remind me of anatomy class in Junior High, we disected a frog just before the lunch bell.  The bell went off and frog taste a lot like chicken;  if you like chicken.

Wrong, the frog IS ART.

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.