Sorry, I'm currently too sick and tired to be angry and hateful...

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry, I'm currently too sick and tired to be angry and hateful...

For those of you who don't know, I've had a really tough year battling a cadre of chronic illnesses including--but not limited to--diabetes, sleep apnea, degenerative disc disease, fibromyaligia, chronic fatigue syndrome, anxiety disorders and depression.  If you're at all familiar with my writings on this forum, you're probably aware of my fundamentalist upbringing and anger at the emotional fallout created when I realized what I'd been taught was not only untrue, but embarrassingly ridiculous.

The exhaustion brought on by battling my illnesses has forced me to let go of some of the anger and as a result, my relationship with my mother has improved.  We've actually spoken of religion without yelling at each other, but I don't want to push it.

One thing that bothers me is that she sees atheists as angry and hateful.  We've been over that topic a million times, haven't we?  I was (am?) extremely angry at my fundamentalist upbringing.  As far as I'm concerned, raising a child to be a fundamentalist is inherently abusive.  (In my case, it led to other forms of abuse, as well.)  But how do you tell your fundamentalist parent that fundy religion is abusive, the source of the anger and hatred? How do you explain that it's the religion that is angry and hateful and is only reaping what it has sewn?

At this point, I'm too tired to be angry and hateful and too tired to try to explain to the many, many fundamentalists around me why I used to be angry and why their religion brings out so much anger and hatred in those wise enough to figure out they've been lied to all their lives.

My mother will never give up her invisible man-in-the-sky religion and the security blanket it provides, so why bother with all the emotion?  She is incapable of admitting to herself she could be wrong. 

I've been observing the bang-up job my mother's church is doing on indoctrinating youngsters.  The church has a water slide and even paid for a huge fair--free to all comers--with a ferris wheel and other rides.  My step-nephew spent a week being indoctrinated at a Jesus Camp. 

Literally, everywhere I go people are talking about church, Jesus, God, the Bible.  I still feel so out of place...sad, maybe, but too sick and tired to be angry and hateful...too sick and tired to move out of the area.  I'm trapped here.

Maybe it's time to accept that people, religious or otherwise, all try their best and just move on. 

Maybe I'll be accused of being a defeatist, but I wonder why the RRS is trying so hard when it's up against so much and causes so much strife.  Kids are being indoctrinated in huge numbers and most of them will stay in their religions.  My mother told me if she stopped believing she'd go crazy and run around ripping her hair out. (And yet she fails to understand my anger.)

There's a part of me that believes the world is so screwed it will never recover and to fight it is an exercise in futility.  I also have no clue how to fight it without getting "angry and hateful" because those are the emotions I experience when I look at how incredibly self-deluded the average religious person is.  In my neck of the woods, the average religious person is also a Republican that watches Faux News and listens to Rush Limbaugh. (And I was called angry and hateful?)  The average religious person indoctrinates his or her children with these beliefs and most will never break free.  I worry that if they do break free, they'll be lonely and trapped, like me.

So, do I have to stay trapped?

I'm ill and have no way to make a living, no way to move to a more enlightened area.  I am SO ALONE here.  I gave up my anger, but at the same time, I do not fit in.  I'm an outsider, always on the outside looking in, always alone with no chance of rescuing myself.  Believe me, I have tried so very hard and I am so very sick and so very tired.  As I get older, it seems more and more impossible to find a way out.

So, I'm sorry.  I'm too sick to be angry and hateful.  I just have to accept these crazy people and fit in as best I can...with Republicans and fundamentalists.  I have no other choice. 

If only there was a way to get better and move away.

If anyone has any ideas I haven't thought of I'm certainly willing to listen.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori, lol. No time

Iruka Naminori, lol. No time to write now , but in a world such as ours now, you and all caring folks can and do feel as you. Behind our happiness, there is always sad, angry, and we all get tired, and many of us are aging, and physically sick at any age. You know these things. All I can always say is be extra nice to yourself, and hey we all dig ya here, who know your words and art.

Thanks really, for being you and sharing. Keep in mind the good things, as that is to know, why we feel as we do,  and Jesus wept, me too, god as you.  mark 

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
I'm not sure how best to

I'm not sure how best to start this, so let me tell you a few things to help put what I am saying in context.  I was raised fundamentalist - actually far enough on the spectrum for it to usually be labeled a cult.  My mother, who faithfully followed the precepts of that religious group, now lives with me.  She has been disabled from fibromyalgia.  Although she does not go to church, she is still christian and holds a fondness for fundamentalism in her heart. 

It sounds like you already know what you need to be doing.  As you noted, you are physically dependent on others, and these people happen to be fundamentalists.  If your mom is willing to take a live and let live approach, that actually seems like a huge accomplishment to me.  Congratulations on that.  You should be proud to have been able to get her that far.  And, you're right about the needing to let go of the anger. 

I don't know if this can help in your situation, but mom has gotten noticeably better in the past 2 years.  She still has a lot of physical problems but they are not as severe due to:

1) Gastric bypass.  It is a seriously drastic surgery, but if you are overweight it might be something to look into.  The lower weight means she no longer has to worry about sleep apnea and her overall condition has improved since the body does not need to work so hard.  It seems to often help substantially with diabetes.  However, this is serious surgery and means that you will be limited by your digestive capabilities for the rest of your life. 

2)  Helping with the care of my son.  She is not responsible for child care as that would be asking too much of her.  Helping out occasionally and having that other person to focus on seem to have slowly helped.  Your state of mind is important.  Since it sounds like you have a fair amount of family around, is there a small child or elderly person who needs what you can give in the way of time to just listen?  It could help.

We don't really discuss religion much because there doesn't seem to be much point. She is not going to change her mind, but I am also not going to put up with her religious b.s.  Of course the balance of power is different here as she needs me more than I need her.  Still, the idea of letting sleeping dogs lie is sometimes simply the most practical course.

Just because we don't see each other in these forums doesn't mean we aren't friends of a sort.  What sort exactly it is, I'm not sure how to define, but you do have friends.  You are not alone in your frustrations.  Even if nothing I've written is anything you can use, please do know that I sincerely wish you well.

"I am that I am." - Proof that the writers of the bible were beyond stoned.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote:At this

Iruka Naminori wrote:

At this point, I'm too tired to be angry and hateful and too tired to try to explain to the many, many fundamentalists around me why I used to be angry and why their religion brings out so much anger and hatred in those wise enough to figure out they've been lied to all their lives. 

Then all you can do is laugh.

Try it.

It will make you feel better and it will hopefully make them think.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote:So, I'm

Iruka Naminori wrote:

So, I'm sorry.  I'm too sick to be angry and hateful. 

Does not compute

Iruka Naminori wrote:

I just have to accept these crazy people and fit in as best I can...with Republicans and fundamentalists. 

Does not compute

Iruka Naminori wrote:

If anyone has any ideas I haven't thought of I'm certainly willing to listen.

... probably best to choose your words better next time, as to not entice me

What Would Kharn Do?

scole665
User is offlineOffline
Let it gooooo

Even healthy we don't need to be angry or hateful. Remember, we're (if I might be so bold) about self, about making our way, believing in ourselves and our abilities, thinking clearly and rationally and being stellar representatives of our community . None of that needs to involve anything labeled as hate. That being said,  forget your mom's irritating and stupid religion and the way she tortured you. You don't need to ever talk about it with her again. But, make sure you set the ground rules for maintaining a relationship with her and be prepared to give it up. Hey, she's the mom, you're not. It's her responsibility to make sure she loves her children for anything they might be or anything they might do or any thoughts or opinions they may have. It sounds like she controls you a little too much, or, phrased better, she tries. But you let her. End it. No hate, not anger, rational behavior. 

You write that you've given up the anger, but it's pretty clear that you haven't.  However, it probably comes from something within you, some other problem or focus in your life. That being said, we don't have to fight all the time. We have to fight when we have to fight, but what makes you think it's an all the time kind of thing? Do what you feel good about doing, fight the fights you feel good about fighting and not a drop more.  No one should ask you for more and no one should expect more. 

On a physical note, you need to clean things up. You need to get healthy and exercise. Don't say you can't unless you REALLY REALLY can't. Be honest with yourself about it though. We both have our medical issues which we work hard to get past.  I'm no MD, but most of your "conditions" sound reversible with little attention and, at the risk of irritating you, a little weight loss. Can I ask, are you overweight? I can (and will) help you if you need that kind of support. Losing a couple of pounds really really helps to maintain and gain both mental and physical power. 

Good luck. Please contact me if you'd like. I'll be happy to correspond with you and share our successes and failures, get pissed off at craziness in the world and to rag on each other for not writing or calling enough. Hehehe. I hope you feel better with my little dose of tough love.  Oh, one more thing... don't "blame" your mom, she did what she thought was right. It wasn't but she didn't do it intentionally with maliciousness in her mind. She tried and for that you owe her respect. 

Scott

god -- I tried you on for size.... you were a little long in the crotch, loose in the waist, short in the length and you made my butt look extra flat. I had to take you back for an exchange.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hi scole. Thanks for showing

Hi scole.

Thanks for showing up. Understanding our anger and what we think is happiness, etc etc are serious important endeavours. The internet is a "god send". Googling simple words like anger, happiness,  bring lots of helpful thoughts of others. We are one.

Here's one I read thru a while ago, of many others. "Anger",

http://www.guidetopsychology.com/anger.htm

"Indignation"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=indignation&btnG=Search

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's interesting that when

It's interesting that when you share something personal on an Internet forum (which I probably shouldn't have done), you always get a smattering of careful, thoughtful replies and the usual subset of people who have no clue who you are and judge you based on a few paragraphs.

For those who were thoughtful (I am God as You, anniet), thank you. 

I'm taking care of myself as best I can.  I'm getting better after a bad medication adjustment that really fucked me up.  And yes, aiia, I can and do laugh a lot.

anniet, I did gain a lot of weight recently...and also lost a lot of it by going on a diet and swimming.  Swimming is the only thing that doesn't aggravate my fibromyalgia and it's excellent exercise.  I'm not so enormously overweight that gastric bypass is a viable option.  I have a friend who did it and he hasn't been himself since the procedure.  I don't know what happened, but he never returns my calls anymore.  I considered him my best friend.

I've also taken some interest in my young step-nephew.  He loves sharks and recently went ga-ga over a shark-tooth necklace I bought him.  I just bought four small fossilized megalodon teeth to make necklaces for family members (yes, even for those with whom I disagree).

DoomedSoul, lay off the brown acid.

scole, either you didn't read what I wrote or you didn't understand it.  I actually wrote a couple of paragraphs to explain, then decided it wasn't worth explaining.  Suffice it to say you reached some illogical conclusions because you did not have all the data and disregarded some of the data you did have.

Mostly, this was a reminder not to post anything personal on the Internet.  It invites attacks and derision from people who don't really matter.  As a matter of fact, I'm seriously considering staying away from Internet forums altogether because people are so ill-behaved.  (I certainly haven't always been very nice.) People do and say things anonymously, hiding behind the keyboard, that they would never do or say in person.  I'm sure there's a really interesting psychological reason why this is so and would love to see a paper.  In the meantime, I am considering saying goodbye forever to all the forums I've posted to.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

scole665
User is offlineOffline
Well I tried...

I have to be honest, it's difficult to take criticism when you actually think you're being open, honest, sincere and helpful in a non-critical type forum. But, I guess that's also part of gaining knowledge about people and their motivations.  Anyway, good luck and my offer still stands. Regards. 

god -- I tried you on for size.... you were a little long in the crotch, loose in the waist, short in the length and you made my butt look extra flat. I had to take you back for an exchange.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Iruka NaminoriPlease don't

Iruka Naminori

Please don't leave us if you can hang, with we who are as you. When you must go , that's okay too. Your honest sharing of your words is a blessing. I tell you truthfully, I am almost dead. The way it is, the way it was, the way it will always be. Ask the old ones, what is truth.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote:It's

Iruka Naminori wrote:

It's interesting that when you share something personal on an Internet forum (which I probably shouldn't have done), you always get a smattering of careful, thoughtful replies and the usual subset of people who have no clue who you are and judge you based on a few paragraphs.

---

scole, either you didn't read what I wrote or you didn't understand it.  I actually wrote a couple of paragraphs to explain, then decided it wasn't worth explaining.  Suffice it to say you reached some illogical conclusions because you did not have all the data and disregarded some of the data you did have.

Well... best take into the account... that, that is, all your are, and all you ever will be, to the vast majority of us. A few smattered paragraphs in which we are supposed to construct a person and a life around, and then offer an opinion from the information we know or assume to know. So, in short, dont ask the question if you dont want an answer

Iruka Naminori wrote:

DoomedSoul, lay off the brown acid.

... but i like brown suga!!

Iruka Naminori wrote:

Mostly, this was a reminder not to post anything personal on the Internet.  It invites attacks and derision from people who don't really matter.  As a matter of fact, I'm seriously considering staying away from Internet forums altogether because people are so ill-behaved.  (I certainly haven't always been very nice.) People do and say things anonymously, hiding behind the keyboard, that they would never do or say in person.  I'm sure there's a really interesting psychological reason why this is so and would love to see a paper.  In the meantime, I am considering saying goodbye forever to all the forums I've posted to.

...So... did you give up anger and hatred... or... did you happen to misplace it, somewhere? 

What Would Kharn Do?

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote:I've

Iruka Naminori wrote:
I've been observing the bang-up job my mother's church is doing on indoctrinating youngsters.  The church has a water slide and even paid for a huge fair--free to all comers--with a ferris wheel and other rides.  My step-nephew spent a week being indoctrinated at a

Jesus Camp

Literally, everywhere I go people are talking about church, Jesus, God, the Bible.  I still feel so out of place...sad, maybe, but too sick and tired to be angry and hateful...too sick and tired to move out of the area.  I'm trapped here.

Maybe it's time to accept that people, religious or otherwise, all try their best and just move on.

Maybe I'll be accused of being a defeatist, but I wonder why the RRS is trying so hard when it's up against so much and causes so much strife.  Kids are being indoctrinated in huge numbers and most of them will stay in their religions.  My mother told me if she stopped believing she'd go crazy and run around ripping her hair out. (And yet she fails to understand my anger.)

I've probably missed the point as much as everyone else, but I get the feeling your dilemma is as follows:
On the one hand you see this abuse and indoctrination and see that as an evil that you ought to fight.
At the same time, you feel that the anger and arguments just wear you down and the people around you.
I think that this dilemma has always been present in our community, that on the one hand argument and battle and attacking people's beliefs causes a headache all around but the problems need to be addressed and surely it's only honest to be straight with what you really believe.
And isn't kind of patronising to be so protective over your friend's bubble?

I think that error thing we rationalists make it to place too much emphasis on abstract rational argument.
That is, the battle needs fighting but constant arguing isn't necessarily the best way to fight it.
One example you mentioned it how atheists can be see as angry and argumentative with an axe to grind.
To present the most perfect logical argument in a debate would reinforce that opinion while relaxing and "live and let live" would do a lot to refute it.
We like rational argument as it's generally our favourite way to distinguish truth and falsity but unless they too have the same skills in rational analysis then such debate will be over their head.

I think we also forget how important the psychology is in debate.
I notice that when I get defensive, and lock myself into debate/battle mode I find myself fighting to win, my "rightness" at stake and find myself looking for an answer no matter what.
It takes a lot of self discipline to even notice your errors and fully appreciate your opponent's argument when in such a state of mind.
The best, most rational of us will struggle and even then it was be a difficult painful experience.
On the other hand, if I come across similar points in a different state of mind, where it's not "Me Vs" and it's not my sense of "being right", i.e. I'm not in a defensive mindset, I can find opposing beliefs quite easy to take on board - I consider myself to be "learning" rather than being "defeated".

Another observation is from when I was at University - I spent a lot of time with the Christian Union.
This is a group of fundamentalist Christians operating in secular England where their views go against common thought and political correctness.
Not to mention that pascal's wager is incredibly offensive to those who haven't been brainwashed.
I used to have friends who'd attend a Christian Union event looking for the goodwill and "love thy neighbour" of the Christianity they'd been brought up with and admired, only to come back fuming about this cult that bullied and threatened people.
Yet not only was I drawn to them, I witnessed people convert.
People with no religious background and no childhood brainwashing would become extremely zealous converts.
When you attended their baptism events and heard their story there was a familiar theme.
They'd usually have been apathetic about religion, considered it to be old hat superstition.
Then they'd get to know a Christian person, or perhaps someone they already knew converted.
At first they'd think their friend was mad, but would gradually get bowled over by their changes in personality.
These Christian groups were very attractive because they were extremely nice people to be around (apart from their scary theology and religious views) and their beliefs develloped them into happy contented people that other people like to be around, and these other people would be attracted and wanted to feel this "holy spirit" for themselves.

It would never have been possible for me to convert.
I already held strong moral philosophy and beliefs that clashed and my rationalist nature means that I couldn't accept their arguments either.
But the fact that I struggled with it all the same just shows how strong my attraction to their believers kept me interested and hanging around with them despite my absolute revulsion with what they believed.
And given that not everybody had the kind of strong philosophy, beliefs and rational skills that I had you can quite easily see how otherwise intelligent people would fall right in line.
They'd join the group, admit they don't fully understand the arguments and agreed that some articles of faith (e.g. loving God with eternal damnation) was difficult to comprehend, but all they knew is that through their beliefs they "experienced" a relationship with Jesus that transformed their lives and made so much sense to them, so were happy to accept these difficulties on faith.
(The point of this long self-indulgent reminisce of my student days being that many people base their beliefs on other things rather than rational analysis and you can see how it's rational from a practical perspective for them to work this way)

So to conclude:
I don't see letting go of the anger and "getting along" as giving up the fight.
Seeing as the "language" many of these people speak is by judging your character and judge your beliefs by your character, getting along will do more to refute their prejudices against atheism than any rational argument could ever.
I also think you're right to say that "people, religious or otherwise, all try their best" and we don't need to drill rational perfection into them.
I think that we strive to change beliefs because we want to improve our society for people around us, so to treat them like "enemies" kind of goes against the point in a way.
There will be times when you get into debate, and those debates will get heated from time to time, but if we are able to then let go, agree to disagree and then go back to getting along, we can get our debate points in without damaging our relationships.

Anyone here watch the TV series Kung Fu?
I love how Caine just "takes" all the prejudice and injustice that came his way, seeming not to fight back, but at the same time he'll take the necessary actions to calmly do what was necessary to change things for the better.
So all this relaxing and going soft on theist people isn't going soft in the fight against theism the belief/meme.
I'd go as far to say that you just took the gloves off and have come after it harder than ever.
Go get 'em girl! Eye-wink

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka, it seems that by now

Iruka, it seems that by now you realized where your problem is. You know, all emotions, and bad emotions specially, creates hormons. Hormons from a fear or anger are supposed to prepare the body for an immediate and relentless run or fight. But do you run or fight during a quarrel with your mother? Probably not.
Thus, the hormons stays in you, and works as a poison. You literally poisoned yourself with anger. This mechanism surely saved a lot of our ancestors on african savanna, but now kills even more of their descendants. Not only the evolution must continue, in order to survive, the only way is to speed it up rapidly by a conscious effort. The determination of behavior through natural selection is too slow, it must be replaced by conscious selection. Will you be angry, becasue someone else (not you) has her own problem with theism? Is there a button on your forehead, and every time your mother presses it, it releases a dose of harmful hormons into your body? Btw, sport had been proven to be VERY important for a mental health and good against depression. A true depressive medical state can be intentionally self-inflicted by a few months of not moving and having depressive thoughts.
Remember, when someone is maniacally screaming at you, it is nothing but a noise. This person you love is currently not totally in control there. Let it be clear, that a communication will be held when both sides will calm down.

Next thing, there is nowhere written in Bible, that your mother must be what she is. Christianity is a broad concept, and you can emphasize the good sides of it. Love thy neighbour, for example. This hopefully doesn't mean you have to move next doors, so your mother can love you. According to New Testament, the only occasions when your mother should burst with anger, is if she'd see a salesmen in her church, or if her fig tree wouldn't have fruit. Realize, that Jesus brought love to that time and place. And in love, these few phrases there about Hell will be hopefully forgotten, because love transforms. Don't use this knowledge against her, use it for her.

Btw, in the definition of atheism isn't to be emotional. Emotionality belongs to religion, atheism, or rationality as such, and everything higher than that, embraces the inner peace. Emotional response is independent on if it's true or not and helpful or not. It ignores these basic criteria. You seem that you weren't an atheist, but an antitheist.
Antitheism  = "fight against theism by their own methods you hate"
Atheism = "be not a theist, be yourself"

So... Save yourself and others from your emotions. Get healthy. Get the hell out of there. My father had a very similar situation at home, and being a.f.a.p. from there was the best thing he could do for himself. College, job abroad, whatever. I know that children are indoctrinated there, but first save your own butt, otherwise you won't help them or anyone else.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote:For

Iruka Naminori wrote:

For those of you who don't know, I've had a really tough year battling a cadre of chronic illnesses including--but not limited to--diabetes, sleep apnea, degenerative disc disease, fibromyaligia, chronic fatigue syndrome, anxiety disorders and depression. 

I obviously don't know exactly how this plays out for Iruka, but she is talking about a combo of conditions that is really debilitating here.  You don't just cure any of these conditions.  Some of the comments I've seen here would be like telling Shelley to just get up and start walking.  Even with fairly mild symptoms from each of the problems she has listed, Iruka is going to need others to get through the day.  Period. 

Iruka, I would recommend that you also search out some fibro, chronic fatigue, and diabetes boards.  I know I wasn't very sympathetic until I saw what fibro does to mom.  You will find people who understand your physical needs better on some of those boards. 

Feel free to PM me anytime if you would like.  Even if I can't really help in any given situation, I can certainly listen.

"I am that I am." - Proof that the writers of the bible were beyond stoned.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote:I've

Iruka Naminori wrote:

I've also taken some interest in my young step-nephew.  He loves sharks and recently went ga-ga over a shark-tooth necklace I bought him.  I just bought four small fossilized megalodon teeth to make necklaces for family members (yes, even for those with whom I disagree).

I was going to say this the other day when I first read your post but I had lost track of time and had to run to meet a friend for dinner.  Interestingly, I come back and you have pretty much said it for me.   Iruka, I think you should integrate more of your art work into your life.  You've shared your talent with us many times online here and we know you have internet skills.  I know it's not exactly a walk in the park to live as an artist but I do think you have a good shot at selling some of your work online.  I'm sure this necklace looked as cool as that dreamcatcher you made last winter.  Having a bit of extra cash could help you get some independence as well.

FWIW - I still think you should try somehow to get to a big city... there just aren't enough resources in a small town/city for people with disabilities.  I actually think that's a big component of Matt's problem as well. 

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote:One

Iruka Naminori wrote:

One thing that bothers me is that she sees atheists as angry and hateful.  We've been over that topic a million times, haven't we?  I was (am?) extremely angry at my fundamentalist upbringing.  As far as I'm concerned, raising a child to be a fundamentalist is inherently abusive.  (In my case, it led to other forms of abuse, as well.)  But how do you tell your fundamentalist parent that fundy religion is abusive, the source of the anger and hatred? How do you explain that it's the religion that is angry and hateful and is only reaping what it has sewn?

Oriana Fallaci wrote:

And I am very very, very angry. Angry with an anger that is cold, lucid, rational. An anger that eliminates every detachment, every indulgence. An anger that compels me to respond and demands above all that I spit on them. I spit on them. Angry as I am, the African-American poet Maya Angelou roared the other day: "Be angry. It's good to be angry, it's healthy."

Iruka Naminori wrote:

Maybe I'll be accused of being a defeatist, but I wonder why the RRS is trying so hard when it's up against so much and causes so much strife. 

Though we drown, still must we hold back the waters of chaos. - Me

Depression is simply anger with no passion.  When you give up your passion...well that's when you give up everything isn't it?  I'm not ready to die.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
anniet wrote:Iruka Naminori

anniet wrote:

Iruka Naminori wrote:

For those of you who don't know, I've had a really tough year battling a cadre of chronic illnesses including--but not limited to--diabetes, sleep apnea, degenerative disc disease, fibromyaligia, chronic fatigue syndrome, anxiety disorders and depression. 

I obviously don't know exactly how this plays out for Iruka, but she is talking about a combo of conditions that is really debilitating here.  You don't just cure any of these conditions.  Some of the comments I've seen here would be like telling Shelley to just get up and start walking.  Even with fairly mild symptoms from each of the problems she has listed, Iruka is going to need others to get through the day.  Period. 

Thanks.  You are an official "it-getter." Smiling 

I realize others mean well, but it gets frustrating trying to explain exactly why everything is so hard.  I also get judged a lot and people try to use "tough love" methods to "make me better."  Believe me, if it was up to tenacity and sheer will power, I would have been well twenty years ago.

This may help the "non-it-getters" understand: http://butyoudontlooksick.com/the_spoon_theory/

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Finally got round to

Finally got round to posting..

I find myself in much the same boat as you Iruka. Some people will around here know that I'm not stoked about life at the moment, and when I'm like that my 'activism' seems to be the first thing to suffer.  The last thing I want when I'm unhappy is to confront the waves of ignorance that prevail when discussing theism. My activity on this site has dwindled from checking it non stop to barely posting. It is true what you say, it takes too much sometimes. My friends often say I am so defensive and aggressive when religion gets brought up. No doubt because I was brainwashed the way I was and find it so dangerous and repulsive now.

Just..look after yourself I guess. Maybe sometimes you have to walk away from debates,much as I hate to. Is it worth it to get worked up and spend time arguing with someone whose blind belief needs no evidence,and therefore can never really be reasoned with? Probably not.

Isn't much point to all this, but hope you'll find some relief.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm sorry to hear you had

I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad year Iruka. That's a nasty combination of factors to team up on you like that. I hope things start going better soon.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.