Hello!

LBras
LBras's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello!

Hi there!

I'm a spanish/italian graduate student. As most people here, I'm an atheist and have been so for 15 years now (and I'm 29). Here in Spain our religious problem is not quite like yours in the US -we don't have so much crazy fundies as crazy catholic priests. I doubt if the situation is better, though.

Anyway, this was just a first post just to say '¡hola a todos!'

Regards,

Lorenzo

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
welcome

Hello from Toronto area in Canada and welcome to the forum, you'll find other Europeans here and those from all corners of the globe. What is your area of study?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

LBras
LBras's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm an ethologist by

I'm an ethologist by training. My main area of research is mating and sexual behaviour. I'm currently preparing a research on the evolutionary basis of homosexual behaviour, mainly in humans but also in several other vertebrate species.  I use an evolutionary psychology framework for explaining adaptations, by-products and stuff.

Homosexual behaviour is quite an interesting topic, but unfortunately also a highly political one. I try to avoid the political side of it and concentrate on the science as much as I can. Of course we have priests here telling that homosexuality is 'not natural'... whatever that means.

Is that a map of the Guiana on your profile?

Cheers,

Lorenzo

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
reletives

That is indeed Guyana South America, I make frequaint trips there, family and buisness reasons. On my last trip in June a reletive who is a computer Geek put the map under my name, I like it and I'm not sure how to change it.

Do you have any opinion on homosexuality above and beyond  it is their nature to be gay.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle.

Welcome to the hizzle.

LBras
LBras's picture
User is offlineOffline
I do have an opinion... that

I do have an opinion... that people should be damn well free to do as they please! I don't think that whether homosexuality is 'an option' or part of their 'nature' would change that. I mean, one thing is the nature or the origins of homosexuality and another are its 'moral' or social implications. I quite tend to separate the two things.

That said, I also take the position that equating things as either 'nature' or 'nurture' is overwhelmingly simplistic. Everything is at the same time inherited AND environmentally acquired. What is interesting is the underlying mechanisms that repond to environmental factors that enable different sets of behaviors and so on.

In any case, this is getting a bit too specific for a presentation post, so maybe I'll post something latter in a proper thread.

Thanks for the interest!

Regards,

Lorenzo

Sleestack
Sleestack's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard!

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums, LBras!

Welcome to the forums, LBras!

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for being a scientist

Thanks for being a scientist and atheist. Important study you are indeed doing.

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
Welcome and enjoy the site!

Welcome and enjoy the site!