It's true. America IS Idiocracy

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's true. America IS Idiocracy

I was busy falling asleep while watching a baseball game earlier, and during that hazy time between waking and sleep, I thought I saw the dumbest commercial ever made.  Once I woke up, I rushed to my computer to see if I dreamt it or if we really have gotten to the level of Idiocracy already.  Alas, I wasn't dreaming.

Quote:

Fox is making a late summer switch to its fall schedule, adding game show "Hole in the Wall" to its September lineup.

right

GET IN THE HOLE Fox adds "Hole in the Wall" to its fall lineup.

"Hole," based on a Japanese format in which contestants play a form of human Tetris, will air Thursday nights from 8 to 9 p.m., starting Sept. 11.

It replaces the previously scheduled second season of shock game show "The Moment of Truth," which will return midseason.

"American Idol" producer FremantleMedia North America is behind "Hole," with Stuart Krasnow serving as executive producer.

While most observers had expected "Hole" to hold until Fox had a hole in its lineup later in the season, Fox President of Alternative Programming Mike Darnell said he didn't want to wait.

"It seemed like the right time to get it out," Mr. Darnell said, noting that physical competition series are making a comeback in the wake of the success of "Wipeout" on ABC. "Sometimes if things sit on the shelf for too long, they lose their mojo. And we didn't want to risk that there would be other Japanese (style) shows coming out."

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the big hit this fall will be people trying to fit themselves through a hole in a wall.  I don't think there's much to add to this, but one other thing did stick in my brain (like a searing brand).  In the commercial, nearly all of the contestants were wearing the same sort of silver lamé outfit you see above, but nearly all of them were also wearing an extra 75 lbs of blubber.  This is not Japan, ladies and gentlemen.  It is America, and we are fat and stupid.

[Rant OFF]

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Although I was highly amused

Although I was highly amused when I first saw this, I couldn't even sit through the youtube video without getting bored by it.  If the show can't even remain new, original and entertaining for a 10 minute youtube video, how is it going to remain new, original and entertaining for an entire season of 30-minute shows?

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's got electrolytes!But

It's got electrolytes!

But seriously, wouldn't that mean that Japan is dumber than the US, having devised it first?  

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
might not be that bad

idk, it might not be that bad.  i just watched a few on youtube and maybe i'm just twisted but i liked watching people fall in the water or actually topple the game piece over on themselves.  i have a feeling we'll get a lot more of that here.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:idk, it might not be

Quote:
idk, it might not be that bad.  i just watched a few on youtube and maybe i'm just twisted but i liked watching people fall in the water or actually topple the game piece over on themselves.  i have a feeling we'll get a lot more of that here.

Well, we do have to ask ourselves how far removed this is from a show where you just watch people get kicked in the balls.  (Isn't that what one of the shows was in Idiocracy?  Or am I making that up?)

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I haven't seen Idiocracy and

I haven't seen Idiocracy and I'm not saying that I don't think this game show idea isn't extremely stupid.  While I wouldn't stay home to watch it though I would probably laugh my ass off at some 400 pound man getting stuck in a body cutout for a 200 pound man.  Again, though, I am a little twisted. Eye-wink   It sounds a lot better than much of this forced drama of reality TV.

Come to think of it, those funniest home videos shows still seem to be on once in a while and most of those are nothing but mishaps.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
TV sucks nowadays. I think

TV sucks nowadays. I think Idiocracy isn't as far in the future as it was in the movie.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
im not sure who im more

im not sure who im more upset at...

Fox, for creating ANOTHER retarded program, amid hundreds of other retarded programs

OR...

Hamby, somebody who we have come to expect a modicum of intelligence from... admitting to watch (and subsequently, fall alseep infront of) Baseball

Shame on your Hamby, shame on you for watching that filth

What Would Kharn Do?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Shame on your Hamby,

Quote:

We all know that indoctrinating kids is a bad idea.  I'm living proof.  I was able to shake the religion, but I've never been able to shake the baseball.

Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, the idea is kind-of

Well, the idea is kind-of neat. It's the implementation that sucks. Sticking out tongue

The suits are strictly there to appeal to our baser natures, the morning radio show sounds are just irritating and the fact that competitors are chosen who are likely to simply screw-up and get knocked into the water is meant to appeal to fan of simple-minded slapstick - but I can't help but feel the show would have some merit if they took away the silly bucket of water, outfits and sound effects, and put in contestents who knew what they were doing. Some of the shapes looked like they would be interesting to watch people surmount - but it's not very interesting if all they actually ever do is get knocked into a pool of water. Sticking out tongue

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
it would be interesting if

it would be interesting if kevin made it through with the hat. Eye-wink

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:it would

shelleymtjoy wrote:

it would be interesting if kevin made it through with the hat. Eye-wink

...Says the girl in the wheelchair.

Sticking out tongue

See, Shell? Now you and I have to sign-up for the show as a doubles team - me wearing the hat and my trenchcoat, you in your wheelchair - and we'll see how creative we can get to pass through some of the puzzles. Eye-wink

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

magilum
User is offlineOffline
All I can say is, if you

All I can say is, if you don't smoke Tarryltons, fuck you.

OK, gameshow-wise, the worst has already been devised, and it's Family-fucking-Feud. A show washing its hands with the idea of Americans knowing hard data; rather rewarding them for their alignment with loosey-goosey survey answers. In other words, whether they put the common in the lowest denominator.

Yaerav
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Aw, come on, it's just a

Aw, come on, it's just a game show. A bit silly, but aren't they supposed to be like that? And I think I have seen worse- like Big Brother. Now the country where thát was invented must be truly retarded... and I live there Very Sad

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yaerav wrote:Aw, come on,

Yaerav wrote:

Aw, come on, it's just a game show. A bit silly, but aren't they supposed to be like that? And I think I have seen worse- like Big Brother. Now the country where thát was invented must be truly retarded... and I live there Very Sad

I find mindless game shows relaxing. My mind at times feels to whir at a thousand miles a minute, these shows help me unwind! My newest relaxation: Wipeout. Shelly, you might like it if you like to watch people fall down into water and mud Smiling

And I will admit, I have been watching Big Brother since the first season. I love to watch people interact with one another so it is my 'indoor' version of people watching.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:See,

Kevin R Brown wrote:

See, Shell? Now you and I have to sign-up for the show as a doubles team - me wearing the hat and my trenchcoat, you in your wheelchair - and we'll see how creative we can get to pass through some of the puzzles. Eye-wink

dude, i'm so there... i've already gone in a hot tub with the chair (and unfortunately clothes.)  this would be awesome.  well, as long at i don't have to pass a breathalyzer test before you get on stage because i did need a few shots before the hot tub thing seemed like a good idea.

aristopus111
aristopus111's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hamby, we're living in a

Hamby, we're living in a country whose passtime is watching professional wrestling.  What if your ETs landed in an arena and started watching this stuff. 

What a cruel ironic cosmic joke! Books written by goat herders and fishermen, determining the destiny of mankind and the entire planet.” Mirror Reversal, Rich Goscicki

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here is another 'idiocracy'

Here is another 'idiocracy' type show - This wins my award for stupidest.

HURL

The premise is; eat as much as you can for 5 minutes then subject yourself to a merry-go-round, tilt a whirl or any other device that the participant can be placed on and be twirled round and round....

if the contestant survives the 5 minutes twirling, they must then go back to eating for another 5 minutes, then back to the twirling. The show basically goes on like this until someone "Hurls". Last person standing that hasn't lost his/her cookies wins.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Beavis and Butthead" was

"Beavis and Butthead" was prophetic.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
midwest

Take a trip through the Midwest...watch the vapid, expressionless faces of the non-thinking as they attempt to make change of a dollar. Just today I was walking through midtown Manhattan noticing people just meandering about...Christ in a corset...The cro-magnon sloped foreheads...the protruding brows...the hairy knuckles dragging on the sidewalk...I swear most of them were two steps above primates...Sometimes I feel like Charlton Heston in Planet of the Apes "Its a Madhouse!"

and *then*...that ignominious dolt, Dr. Phil has the Rev TD Jakes on his show...met with rousing applause...Where is the apocolypse when you need it?

George Carlin put it best "Think of how stupid someone with average intelligence is, and realize half the people are dummer than that."

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:George Carlin put it

Quote:
George Carlin put it best "Think of how stupid someone with average intelligence is, and realize half the people are dummer than that."

Hmm... I suppose I shouldn't be snarky and contrarian, but it's so much fun...

Quote:
Just today I was walking through midtown Manhattan noticing people just meandering about...Christ in a corset...The cro-magnon sloped foreheads...the protruding brows...the hairy knuckles dragging on the sidewalk...I swear most of them were two steps above primates

Humans:

Domain: Eukaryota
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Primates
Family: Hominidae
Genus: Homo
Species: H. sapiens
Subspecies: H. s. sapiens

I'm pretty sure that actually puts us 4 steps below primates...

Books about atheism

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Humans:

Domain:Eukaryota
Kingdom:Animalia
Phylum:Chordata
Class:Mammalia
Order:Primates
Family:Hominidae
Genus:Homo
Species:H. sapiens
Subspecies:H. s. sapiens

I'm pretty sure that actually puts us 4 steps below primates...

To quote Joseph Merrick AKA The Elephant Man:  I am not an animal!

I remember walking up to a building one day that had a sign on the door stating, "No animals allowed".  I stood there for several minutes wondering why humans would build such a thing that we wouldn't even allow ourselves to use.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Mr. XC
High Level DonorSpecial AgentWebsite AdminPlatinum Member
User is offlineOffline
BumFights or Jackass: The Movie

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Well, we do have to ask ourselves how far removed this is from a show where you just watch people get kicked in the balls.  (Isn't that what one of the shows was in Idiocracy?  Or am I making that up?)

I have a better comparison.  What is the difference between:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hj_7U40z5I
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumfights
(besides one being fiction and the other being non-fiction)
EDIT: Or this: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2895249689/

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. ..." -- Thomas Jefferson

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

We all know that indoctrinating kids is a bad idea.  I'm living proof.  I was able to shake the religion, but I've never been able to shake the baseball.

Heck, I've never been able to shake either.  Not that I want to. 

But anyway, this show reminds me of something from a Terry Gilliam film, maybe Brazil. 

kellym78
atheistRational VIP!
kellym78's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

Here is another 'idiocracy' type show - This wins my award for stupidest.

HURL

The premise is; eat as much as you can for 5 minutes then subject yourself to a merry-go-round, tilt a whirl or any other device that the participant can be placed on and be twirled round and round....

if the contestant survives the 5 minutes twirling, they must then go back to eating for another 5 minutes, then back to the twirling. The show basically goes on like this until someone "Hurls". Last person standing that hasn't lost his/her cookies wins.

This is the most retarded show I have ever heard of. I can't believe that people would actually watch (or participate in) a show that is solely based around puking. It's just foul. I am embarassed to be a member of the species  homo sapiens now more than I was before I read this thread.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
kellym78 wrote: I can't

kellym78 wrote:

I can't believe that people would actually watch (or participate in) a show that is solely based around puking. It's just foul. I am embarassed to be a member of the species  homo sapiens now more than I was before I read this thread.

Oh now.  You just have a major phobia about vomiting, Kelly.  Give it a chance, will ya?

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow. I'm dumbfounded. A

Wow. I'm dumbfounded. A puking gameshow is absolutely analagous to 'Ow! My balls!' (in fact, it's likely far more harmful to the contestants) - there's no meaningful difference at all.

Oh dear.

If anyone hears anything about an up-and-comer named 'Karl's Jr.', make sure you at least TRY to hang that motherfucker. Sticking out tongue

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Death Dragoon
Bronze Member
Death Dragoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shit, you were probably

Rich Woods

"Take a trip through the Midwest...watch the vapid, expressionless faces of the non-thinking as they attempt to make change of a dollar. Just today I was walking through midtown Manhattan noticing people just meandering about...Christ in a corset...The cro-magnon sloped foreheads...the protruding brows...the hairy knuckles dragging on the sidewalk...I swear most of them were two steps above primates...Sometimes I feel like Charlton Heston in Planet of the Apes "Its a Madhouse!"........"

Shit, you were probably seeing my family.

When once asked in the library if I believed in Jesus Christ, I pointed out that zombie novels are in the fiction section.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Wow. I'm

Kevin R Brown wrote:
Wow. I'm dumbfounded. A puking gameshow is absolutely analagous to 'Ow! My balls!'

I think America's Funniest Home Videos is the closest we're ever going to get to "Ow My Balls!" in our lifetime. But we can always hope.

Rick

- Brought to you by Karl's Jr.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
These TV shows are awful

These TV shows are awful enough to compel a poor, orthodox and asketic Muslim to get dressed in TNT and go to send at least some of these mfkers to Jahannam. Me too, almost. It depicts people, who are so rich, fat, and stupid, that they are like an all-consuming bacteria colony, while the other half of the world starves. People like us, or our neighbours. (choose what fits) Without every one such a TV show, the world would be a bit better place, they don't do any good. (except of the charitative ones, of course)
I know, it's just a drop in a sea of piss, but every such a thing reminds me still again why the commercialism is more dangerous than atomic bomb.
Japan invented this shit and made America pay for it, probably as another round of Japanese reality show called "Invent a stupid TV show and sell it to Americans"
If there will be any better world, there surely won't be a commercial "junk fun" like this.

Edit: I admit, the show HURL is far more deranged than that, but also it's a boasting with a crime. Public, organized wasting of food, which could save many lives. Isn't that sick? Where is the traditional American call for morality, which is so loud when a human being dares to show a 100% natural bare ass or tits in the public?

Yaerav wrote:

One of many reasons why I don't watch TV. Dunno how it was in USA, but in this country some of the contestants in BB after some time of sex shortage couldn't resist, and happily humped in front of hidden cameras and a whole nation, who can watch the TV after 10 PM. And, there was only one porn star among them. The most chaste there were gays.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:Take a trip

Rich Woods wrote:

Take a trip through the Midwest...watch the vapid, expressionless faces of the non-thinking as they attempt to make change of a dollar.

Unfortunately it's not just the Midwest but just about everywhere in the US. I've been to about 45 of 50 states and the brain dead are in all of them.  People in the US would never be able to give you change without cash registers that tell them how much to give to you. Try giving one of them $7.17 for a bill of $6.82 and watch the mystified look on their faces. Math skills for most completely suck here asking one of them a question that involves more than adding 1 + 1 is beyond their ability.  Even worse is their knowledge of history, they are lucky if they know who the current President is yet alone one from 50 years ago. There was a FedEx commercial last year with a map and they had a guy who had no clue where China was. It's no wonder they believe in mystical bullshit.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Try giving one of them

Quote:
Try giving one of them $7.17 for a bill of $6.82 and watch the mystified look on their faces.

I'm really good at basic math, and I would be very confused if you gave me $7.17 for a bill of $6.82.  Then again, I come from the days when pay phones were all over, and they took a quarter.  I suppose these days, maybe $0.35 is the price of a stamp, or maybe a gumball at the grocery store...

Anyway, I can't tell you how much pleasure I'm getting from being snarky and pointing out basic mistakes in the thread about Idiocracy.

Books about atheism

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:Try

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
Try giving one of them $7.17 for a bill of $6.82 and watch the mystified look on their faces.

I'm really good at basic math, and I would be very confused if you gave me $7.17 for a bill of $6.82.  Then again, I come from the days when pay phones were all over, and they took a quarter.  I suppose these days, maybe $0.35 is the price of a stamp, or maybe a gumball at the grocery store...

Anyway, I can't tell you how much pleasure I'm getting from being snarky and pointing out basic mistakes in the thread about Idiocracy.

The idea of giving them $7.17 for a bill of $6.82 would be to reduce the amount of change in your pocket such as pennies and nickels trading out for larger coins such as the quarter and dime and has nothing to do with the price of anything. I owned retail stores for years and people would do this all the time.

The current price of a stamp is actually $.42 in the US unless they've raised it again when I wasn't looking.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The idea of giving

Quote:
The idea of giving them $7.17 for a bill of $6.82 would be to reduce the amount of change in your pocket such as pennies and nickels trading out for larger coins such as the quarter and dime and has nothing to do with the price of anything. I owned retail stores for years and people would do this all the time.

The current price of a stamp is actually $.42 in the US unless they've raised it again when I wasn't looking.

So, you trade four coins for two... hmmm... interesting approach.  I'll admit, the thought never would have occurred to me.  I guess it never crossed my mind that there are people with pockets so full of change that they need to reduce encumbrance that way.  Out of curiosity, I did the math:

Penny - 2.5g

Nickel - 5g

Dime 2.27g

Quarter - 5.67g

Dime + nickel + penny + penny = 2.5+2.5+5+2.27 = 12.27g

Quarter + dime = 5.67 + 2.27 = 7.94g

Your overall reduction of encumbrance is 4.33g.  I'm led to believe by reliable internet sources that an average pair of adult men's jeans weighs approximately 1.9 lbs. 

1.9 lbs = 861.826g

4.33g / 861.826g = 0.005024216 (I used a calculator for this part.) or 0.05% of your total encumbrance, assuming you are not wearing a belt or carrying keys, wallet, paper money, or assorted pocket lint.

The median income for 2006 in the U.S. was $24,325.  Assuming a 40 hour work week with fifty work weeks, we come up with an hourly wage of $12.16.  Working on the assumption that you could be working instead of standing in front of a cashier, we can do some more math.  Supposing that it takes the cashier five minutes to ask you if you meant to give her that amount of change, ring it in wrong, pull out the wrong amount, check her figures, call a manager, void the transaction, ring it up again, pause contemplatively for several seconds, and finally give you correct change, you've wasted 1/12 of an hour, or $1.01 in the effort to reduce your encumbrance by 0.05%.

While I question the effectiveness of your strategy, I must confess, I can't deny the math.

All snottiness aside, I own a restaurant, and I can't remember seeing anyone do this.  The times are changing, apparently.  Considering that on an average day, 65% of my transactions are credit cards, and that the tip jar is usually the destination for any loose change left over from a cash transaction, it makes sense that nobody would exchange coins the way you're talking about.

Anyway, thanks for indulging me in my little jest.  It has brightened my day to engage in completely pointless bickering for a few minutes. Smiling

Books about atheism

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:The median

Hambydammit wrote:

The median income for 2006 in the U.S. was $24,325.  Assuming a 40 hour work week with fifty work weeks, we come up with an hourly wage of $12.16.  Working on the assumption that you could be working instead of standing in front of a cashier, we can do some more math.  Supposing that it takes the cashier five minutes to ask you if you meant to give her that amount of change, ring it in wrong, pull out the wrong amount, check her figures, call a manager, void the transaction, ring it up again, pause contemplatively for several seconds, and finally give you correct change, you've wasted 1/12 of an hour, or $1.01 in the effort to reduce your encumbrance by 0.05%.

While I question the effectiveness of your strategy, I must confess, I can't deny the math.

All snottiness aside, I own a restaurant, and I can't remember seeing anyone do this.  The times are changing, apparently.  Considering that on an average day, 65% of my transactions are credit cards, and that the tip jar is usually the destination for any loose change left over from a cash transaction, it makes sense that nobody would exchange coins the way you're talking about.

Anyway, thanks for indulging me in my little jest.  It has brightened my day to engage in completely pointless bickering for a few minutes. Smiling

The strategy of dumping coins was an observation from 15 years of operating a business and has nothing to do with my own actions. I used to own a tanning salon in Orlando perhaps not of the class and caliber of your restaurant.  We had customers paying in change all the time for their tans as they were waitresses, bartenders and high school students. The tips in change have to go someplace and businesses your employees go to usually end up with the loose change if you don't deposit it and give them their tips on their checks. Maybe you live in a far more affluent place than Orlando where wages are higher. Consider Disney only pays $7.50 an hour for its characters to stand in the hot sun while baking in 95 degrees with high humidity in stuffy costumes.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
payphone

ummm, guys - 35 cents is the amount needed to make a call at a payphone.

[edit: and if you're giving the cashier $7.17, i would assume you had 2 nickels or 10 pennies rather than a dime in there... otherwise you would pay with $7.07 and use the dime you already have, right?]

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:ummm,

shelleymtjoy wrote:

ummm, guys - 35 cents is the amount needed to make a call at a payphone.

[edit: and if you're giving the cashier $7.17, i would assume you had 2 nickels or 10 pennies rather than a dime in there... otherwise you would pay with $7.07 and use the dime you already have, right?]

Payphones in Florida are generally 50 cents. I have seen 35 to 50 cents elsewhere though.

Right or 17 pennies, 12 pennies and a nickel, or 2 nickels and 7 cents etc.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:[edit: and if you're

Quote:

Well, now that's a very good observation...

Actually, my county is one of the poorest ones in the nation.  We have 31% below the poverty line, and a median income of 22k.  (It's only that high because it's a big college sports town, and all of the coaches are making 6 figures plus.  My restaurant does tip sharing, and when the manager divides up the tips, she cashes in all the change in the jar, giving as many bills as possible.  When our change bag gets full, we swap it at the bank, although it's curious to me how seldom that happens.  Apparently the change drawer and the tip jar have got some kind of bizarre equilibrium going.

While we're talking about this, it has never occurred to me that people would pay at a tanning salon with change.  Again, I'm in a town with a 1A state college, so it's kind of a dichotomous place.  The actual residents here are very poor, but most of the students have Daddy's Money.  Most of the tanning in this town is done by rich sorostitutes who have an American Express, paid by their family every month.

Books about atheism

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:While

Hambydammit wrote:

While we're talking about this, it has never occurred to me that people would pay at a tanning salon with change.  Again, I'm in a town with a 1A state college, so it's kind of a dichotomous place.  The actual residents here are very poor, but most of the students have Daddy's Money.  Most of the tanning in this town is done by rich sorostitutes who have an American Express, paid by their family every month.

People tan in Florida to defend their skin from the Sun which is at least a 11 month issue. As people wear shorts most of the time more skin is exposed so more people do it. The economy is largely service based so many believe that being tan helps them make more money or presents a better image. As it is a major tourist trap controlled by large corporations wages are at the least amount possible. Disney and Universal are concerned over their bottom line and show little concern for their employees. Wages in Florida in general are far less than other states. I moved to Florida in 1990 from Denver and a high tech computer industry job as a design engineering manager.  In Florida I made the same as I did in Denver but not so for those who worked as technicians and assemblers. There was easily a 40% difference in pay. Granted Florida has no personal income tax but you have to get a license to do anything at a fee of course.

Orlando is a complex economic community that has been severely impacted by the Bush economy. The real estate boom/bust caused a major reduction in disposable income in the area. Many decided to take their money and run after 3 hurricanes in 6 weeks in 2004. These people were replaced by those who got a $1800/month mortgage versus those who had a $700/mo. Gas prices went through the roof at the same time. Orlando has a shit public transportation system and is just now working on a commuter rail system. Household income did not rise significantly to make up for these differences over the same period putting a severe crunch on the local economy.