Worst Final Episodes Ever

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Worst Final Episodes Ever

I was just thinking and wanted to give my opinion of the 3 worst final episodes of TV shows ever.

3rd worst (Garbage Medal) :

St Elsewhere (Mid 1980's )

It was bad when Dallas made an entire season be the dream of a character. Even worse (though not quite bad enough to make my list) when Newhart had the entire series and everyone in it the dream of a character played a decade earlier by the actor playing the main character. But to really take the cake, this show had the entire series, everyone in it and the entire background the dream of a minor character only introduced in the final season (this show wasn't a comedy either. ) To make it worse, the dreamer was a retarded child rateher than a psychiatrist.

2nd worst (vomit medal) :

Seinfeld (late 1990's )

Not only was the majority of the episode clips from earlier shows, it ended a very succesful comedy in a very unfunny manner - all 4 of the main characters sent to prison - for something that wasn't a crime in any state. Pitiful.

Worst Ever (shit medal ) :

ALF (Late 1980's )

To be fair, this wasn't intended to be the final episode - and wouldn't have been bad had it not been. But it was a season ending cliffhanger and ended up being the series finale, leaving everything up in the air. Nearly a decade later, after the ALF character started becoming popular again (through commercials and minor appearances in a couple shows ) a TV movie was made, but most people no longer cared.

Interestingly, in the early 2000s there was a show about a teacher dating a famous actress (show name escapes me) that also ended the series in a cliffhanger - what made this one bad was it was the 1st season and the show hadn't been especially succesful.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
... i dont see Sopranos...

... i dont see Sopranos... why dont i see Sopranos?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Because the last 3 seasons

Because the last 3 seasons of the Sopranos you couldn't get HBO where I live without getting Digital cable (which is over $100 a month ) , and my last name isn't "Trump" or "Gates" so I didn't see it.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Well Matt, without going

Well Matt, without going into huge detail, the last sopranos episode left those watching with a colossal "what the hell just happened?" going on in outr heads

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
crap finale

X-files, complete sucked

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'm not a nerd, so I didn't

I'm not a nerd, so I didn't watch that show.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
In my typical derail

In my typical derail fashion, I'm going to answer a completely different question.  The final episode of M*A*S*H was far and away the best final episode ever.

As bad final episodes go, I think Friends has to rank up there, but then again, I think friends has to rate as one of the worst sitcoms ever.  If you include episodes that weren't intended to be finals, the original Battlestar Galactica got really stupid towards the end, as did Buck Rogers.  Actually, the whole second season of Buck Rogers was gag inducing.

I'm not going to watch it again just to answer this question, but I seem to recall being very pissed at the last episode of The Incredible Hulk  (The 70s one.)

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Worst:  The Wire--after

Worst:  The Wire--after four seasons of excellent ensemble performances, the show creator gipped the whole cast, crew, writing staff and audience by inserting his own personal vendetta against the newspaper business as a major story element.  Long-term series regulars started acting out of character and getting killed every week.  By the finale, it didn't feel like the same show.

Best:  Blackadder--If you haven't seen Blackadder, I'd highly advise it.  In the hopes that I don't spoil the finale, I'll just say that the last seconds of the last episode drop the satire to make a poignant statement about the first World War, but in no way does it seem contrived.  Rowan Atkinson, Hugh Laurie, Stephen Fry and lots of other brilliant people worked on the show over the years.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tough question for me Matt...

cause it's really really tough to pick out just three !

Here are some endings I disliked greatly:

ALIAS, FRIENDS, HILL STREET BLUES, ST. ELSEWHERE, FREAKS AND GEEKS (although they didn't know it so easily excused), MOONLIGHTING, SEINFELD. There are others, just can't recall at the moment

A few of the shows I listed I was unable to be a weekly viewer but that really doesn't change a finale if you've seen most of the shows.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Prisoner

The final episode of The Prisoner was either one of the greatest moments in television, or one of the worst. I'm not sure. It seems like it should be great. Strangely enough, even after watching it a couple of times, I just can't tell.

The final X-Files shat. But it had jumped the shark a couple of years before, so that was no surprise.

The last episode of Voyager sucked kitty ass. But then, I was never a big Voyager fan, so I reckon it doesn't really matter.

The final episode(s) of Greatest American Hero were completely sucky.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:Best:

DamnDirtyApe wrote:
Best:  Blackadder--If you haven't seen Blackadder, I'd highly advise it.  In the hopes that I don't spoil the finale, I'll just say that the last seconds of the last episode drop the satire to make a poignant statement about the first World War, but in no way does it seem contrived.  Rowan Atkinson, Hugh Laurie, Stephen Fry and lots of other brilliant people worked on the show over the years.

I second this. Brilliant show, everyone should watch.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I used to love that show.

I used to love that show. Saw all 4 of the series. Also was a short movie a few years back where he time travelled - I remember he punched out Shakespeare on behalf of all future English students.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:The final

nigelTheBold wrote:

The final episode of The Prisoner was either one of the greatest moments in television, or one of the worst. I'm not sure. It seems like it should be great. Strangely enough, even after watching it a couple of times, I just can't tell.

The final X-Files shat. But it had jumped the shark a couple of years before, so that was no surprise.

The last episode of Voyager sucked kitty ass. But then, I was never a big Voyager fan, so I reckon it doesn't really matter.

The final episode(s) of Greatest American Hero were completely sucky.

Voyager... the worst.  TNG and DSN were actually quite good.  TOS wasn't all that good.  Should I even bother mentioning that unmentionable one?

Sliders.  Hated that series' final episode.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Sliders actually sucked

Sliders actually sucked after the first few episodes. Terrible alternate worlds.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Sliders

MattShizzle wrote:

Sliders actually sucked after the first few episodes. Terrible alternate worlds.

stop attacking my childhood, Matt. Sticking out tongue

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
It was my early 20's.

It was my early 20's.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
You stole mine, Thom. I

You stole mine, Thom. I actually really dug some of Sliders stuff (Eggheads was probably one of the top five TV episodes ever), and the ending just... well, it fucking blew. But the series was already headed downhill.

Seinfeld and the Wire and definately way up there too, or (for anyone who watches cartoons) how about Neon Genesis Evangelion? Wow, did that one ever demonstrate wholly that, no, you really can't keep making solid material after your bank account is in the red.

Most favorite endings have to be, well, MASH for sure, and probably Death Note (again, only if you're into cartoons...). I also thought Fraggle Rock wrapped itself up rather tidily.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:and

Kevin R Brown wrote:

and probably Death Note

NO!... hell no... i hated that ending, Kira's not supposed to lose

What Would Kharn Do?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
***SPOILER

***SPOILER WARNING!***

Death Note played it exactly right, I felt. No compromises for it's premise. We didn't get a compromise for Sherlock or Watson, and the writer dealt us the card we deserved for Moriarti as well. 'Death cannot resolve the problems of mankind' (whether you agree with the premise or not), and Kira paid what he'd been told up front it would cost him in his obsessive drive to prove the premise wrong.

The attentiveness to detail and motif really struck me for the warehouse scene. Both Light and the viewer were brutally introduced to reality and finality; our brief stint on the rollercoaster, while amusing, was always certain to end. Hidden notes and gimmickry proved no match for firearms and trained agents of the law, and Kira - as it turned-out - bled and broke just as easily as any of the other human beings he felt he should shepherd.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Jello
User is offlineOffline
Dark Angel's final episode

Dark Angel's final episode sucked. I think that's what it was called. The genetically engineered girl riding round on the motorbike.

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.