The New Atheist Crusaders and their quest for the Unholy Grail

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The New Atheist Crusaders and their quest for the Unholy Grail

Hey all.  It's been a while since I've been on. I appologise, I've been busy. 

The title of this forum is the title of a book I just finished reading.  It's a catchy title, so I figured it'd be a good way to grab someone's attention on here.  The book is written by Becky Garrison. 

If her name doesn't sound familiar, that's fine, it shouldn't.  So why am I wasting your time telling you about this book?  Well, I'm glad you asked.  This is a book written by a True Christian.  HUH?  For all of you who have discussed with me in the past, you understand what I'm talking about and for those of you who haven't you can research my blogs.  Caposkia is my name. 

Anyway, It's written from the viewpoint of how a true Christian feels about of course the atheists in the world today, but more importantly for you, how she feels about Christians in the world. 

This is for all of you arguing with me about how Christians have to be black and white.  How you have to follow a religion and there's nothing outside of religion etc.  She touches on all of this.  I truly think you'll enjoy reading this book and I would like to hear from those of you who have read it if anyone.  If not, I"ll wait till someone finishes it.  It's not a very long book.

When I first came onto this site, I wanted to discuss directly with those who were involved in the infamous television debate that RRS was involved in about the existence of God with Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron.  They didn't have time and the other non-believers I came across were too opinionated to involve themselves in a conversation that made any progress.  Instead I got into other debates which for the most part were a lot of fun, but I digress. 

Becky mentions this debate as well in her book at the end.  This is for all of you on here I've talked to who would not believe me or had other personal issues with the fact that my opinion didn't flow with their idea of a Christian.  I will breifly say that I hold her viewpoint when she says that if she was at that debate, she would have "crawled out of that church in shame. "

Simply put, we both agree that both sides put forth deplorable excuses for their side and did not defend their side succesfully.  I know I know, many of you will disagree and say that RRS did disprove the existance of God in that debate, but enough with the opinions, I'm saying the other side did just as good of a job proving God.  This debate is a poor excuse to not follow Christ and this book talks about those types of Christians.

This book should clarify many misunderstandings of how True Christians are and I hope bring light to a new understanding of our following. 

It is written differently than most books, but is an informational peice and uses a lot of researched information.  It does focus on the "New Atheists" and is not a book preaching to the masses.  As said, it is from the point of  view of a True Christian.

enjoy, let me know your thoughts.  I would also request, please be respectful in your responses.  I'm here to have mature discussions with people. 

NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christianity a religion?

By the way, I have to chuckle every time a religionist declares that his or her religion is not a religion.  Religion in general has begun to give many people a bad taste in their mouths so it's understandable that believers would want to distance themselves from it.  I did the same thing myself when I was still a believer.  However, defining Christianity as something other than a religion means that you have to ignore many of the more commonly-used meanings of the word religion.  It means that you have to ignore the fact that religion does not exclusively mean institutionalized religion; religion also means things like "belief in and service to/worship of a god or gods" and "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe".  

"Non-religious" religionists like to tell you that what they have is not a religion but, rather, a personal relationship with their favourite deity.  That "relationship", of course, requires that one holds a particular "set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe".  It requires that you believe in a god or gods whom you seek to serve/follow/worship.  So, when you break it down, when someone says, "I'm not religious; I have a relationship with God" they're actually saying, "I'm not religious; I'm religious."

Kinda funny, really, don'tcha think?

Reality is the graveyard of the gods.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
NoDeity wrote:caposkia

NoDeity wrote:
caposkia wrote:

[is it being judgemental for me to call someone who murdered someone a murderer?  

What are you looking for me to say for that? or were you just making a statement that you don't want challenged.

I was just hoping you'd agree that the Jesus described in the Bible did not shy away from passing judgement.

I can agree with you, sure.  By literal definition of judgement, why would Jesus shy away from it?  You make it sound like judgement is bad. 

Funny, what you quoted were statements more than the coined "judgement".  Think about it, if Jesus is who he says he is, are those really judgement calls or facts that people were being told? 

Is it judging of me to say to someone, if you rob that store, you're going to go to jail?  I've just made a similiar statement as you've quoted Jesus saying. 

I think we're losing focus of judgement.  Many view it as discrimination when what you quoted applies to all people who would be in their situation. 

NoDeity wrote:

To be a follower of Christ means to try to follow the teachings and example of Jesus, as described in the New Testament.  The trick of it is that you can get several different versions of Jesus, depending on the preconceptions that you bring to studying the stories.  Some place the most emphasis on the kindness and compassion, others on the rules (eg. he had some pretty strict ideas about divorce), others on the signs and healing, etc.

I assume that you're distinguishing between being a "true follower" and being "saved".  The latter merely requires that you express repentance for your sins and ask for salvation (and, depending on which passage one reads, also be baptized).

Ah, I see.  Doesn't matter what one sect might emphasize, what most seem to fail to understand is that all applies.  Sure, one follower might emphasize attitudes over action another action over attitude, when it comes down to it, to be a true follower, all must be taken into account. 

Don't read into that too much, no one is perfect and true followers fall short every day of fulfilling the Biblical expectations.  Which is why they're followers of Jesus.  They understand that they can't be perfect and are far from it.  A lot of it comes down to how you handle what you know.  If you're so arrogant that you know everything and no one can tell you otherwise... then it's hard to call yourself a true follower.  On the other hand, if you're open to the idea that you still have a lot to learn and arent' even scratching the surface of knowing everything, then it's a more likely attitude of a true follower. 

NoDeity wrote:

Some have a conception of Jesus that makes him sound like a Buddha-like character who wouldn't hurt a fly and who preached unconditional, unlimited love and forgiveness.  For some reason, they seem to be unable to see the passages in the gospels in which Jesus is portrayed as being quite harsh.

oh, I'd agree with you there.  The biggest mistake a Christian can make is to think or portray God or Jesus as "a big carebear in the sky".  Jesus was quite harsh and wasn't afraid to be.   Question.  if he wasn't so harsh, would he have had nearly the impact he had?  My thought is that without him being harsh, no one would have seen reason to execute him. 

NoDeity wrote:

As I see it, to be judgmental is to tend to make moral judgments (that's the second definition given for "judgmental" at dictionary.com).  So, to be non-judgmental would be to avoid making moral judgments.

ok, so are you saying that all moral judgement is bad?  That it's wrong to ever tell someone they're doing something wrong?  If so, are you not making a moral judgement on Jesus by saying it's wrong for him to do that?

Another question, if you never passed a moral judgement on your children, how do you think they'd turn out? 

The above would be taking the literal definition of moral into consideration be it that it's a decision of right and wrong. 

NoDeity wrote:

It doesn't make sense to me that an omniscient being would have hope.  When you absolutely know how things will turn out, hope is irrelevant.  If one could be present in all times and all places simultaneously, hope would be irrelevant.

I used the word hope.  Maybe it's the wrong word to use.  the point being, sure even if he could be everywhere, what would expect a God to do who gave his creation "free will" to not allow his creation to make a mistake?  This of course without impeading upon free will because he promised he wouldn't. 

NoDeity wrote:

I have an understanding of Christianity as it is generally actually practiced.  I also have a solid understanding of the New Testament and I realize that organized Christianity has wandered quite a long way from its roots.  I was a Christian for a long time and, long before I rejected belief in the divine and the supernatural, I had already rejected organized religion.

I would agree with you that organized Christianity has wandered quite a long way from its roots.  I am curious on what pulled you away after rejecting organized religion?

NoDeity wrote:

I agree that being judgmental isn't necessarily bad.  In fact, I reject Jesus' "Judge not lest ye be judged" and, instead, approve of Ayn Rand's "Judge and be prepared to be judged."

very similar.  The idea is that judgement comes down to a point.  How are you going to judge others.  Taking the word literally, you can't avoid being a judge of everything, it's how you understand and comprehend life.  What Jesus was saying is that you will be judged by the father in the same manner you judge others.  In other words, you will be judged, but only in the way you have judged others. 

So many misunderstand scripture because they look at it for how it is written in their language and fail to do the research on the context and intention behind the statement. 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:you didn't

iwbiek wrote:

you didn't answer my question.  which "historians" come to this "empirical" conclusion?  if it's just "you," then say so.  don't say "historians." 

Oh get over yourself.  Everyone who's been talking to me for a long time know I don't avoid questions.  I'm sorry I didn't answer it directly.  

I'm bad with names, but I'll try to give you some sources to look at.  I know Nat Geo. had referenced some of them in a special they did.  http://www.nationalgeographic.com might have a link. 

Dr. Hal Webb talks about how artists didn't portray Jesus with long hair or even a beard until at least the 4th century.   I can't remember at the moment who specifically I remember saying it, but looking up online information on the appearance or race of Jesus might yeild some results for you.

iwbiek wrote:

and just how do you know how semitic peoples looked back then?  they weren't typically depicted in any artwork, especially since the jews of that time traditionally abhorred making images of anything.  even the earliest portraits of christ are thoroughly hellenized or latinized.  i mean, if this is such an "empirical" conclusion, then it should be demonstrable in some way.  other than producing portraits of first century jews, i don't see how you can demonstrate it.  at least cite a source.

See wikipedia for a good history on how they conclude what the people of Jesus' time might have looked like.  In breif, ancestorial timelines are how I understand they do it. 

caposkia wrote:

Why is "church" such a poor choice?  The definition of what a church is and what you see a church being in our world today are vastly different.  Look it up.

i don't have to look it up, hoss, i studied it for four years and i've kept up with the literature in the subsequent 5 years.  please enlighten me as to what your definition of "church" is.  i've encountered many, but i've never encountered one that describes it as a place whose inner premises are forbidden to all but a class of priests, where animal sacrifices take place, and where public treasures are stored.  that's a temple, not just in the jewish sense but in the general sense of temples at that time, of which the herodian temple was a typical example.  there's also the fact that the herodian temple has never been referred to as a "church" in any scripture, christian or jewish, nor in any extrabiblical literature i have ever encountered, devotional or scholarly.  so just for the sake of clarity, it's a poor choice.

That would be a tabernacle, or a temple not a church.  For one who is so well studied, I'm surprised you missed that.  A church by dictionary definition and not my own is simply a place where Christians gather to worship.   What happens in a church setting up and beyond worship is going way beyond what we were discussing and can mean the difference between Christian worship and other.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: In

Atheistextremist wrote:

In discussing the existence of hell Cap says: 

caposkia wrote:

This of course is only assumption.  People trying to make sense out of an unknown existence.

Now, let's apply this measured position to whatever exists outside the universe, whatever started the universe and admit that there are many things we simply do not know.

I will not deny that.  Your point?

Seems like you've only helped me support the existance of God here.

iwbiek wrote:

P.S. Jesus does say sinners will be cast into a lake of fire in Mark, right? With wailing and gnashing of teeth? 

Right... are you saying that lake of fire is Hell?  and that we're literally going to see a lake of flame and God is going to grab you by the scruff of your neck and heave you into it?  

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia

caposkia wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

In discussing the existence of hell Cap says: 

caposkia wrote:

This of course is only assumption.  People trying to make sense out of an unknown existence.

Now, let's apply this measured position to whatever exists outside the universe, whatever started the universe and admit that there are many things we simply do not know.

I will not deny that.  Your point?

Seems like you've only helped me support the existance of God here.

iwbiek wrote:

P.S. Jesus does say sinners will be cast into a lake of fire in Mark, right? With wailing and gnashing of teeth? 

Right... are you saying that lake of fire is Hell?  and that we're literally going to see a lake of flame and God is going to grab you by the scruff of your neck and heave you into it?  

I think his point is that you are using an assumption and calling it "God" to make sense out of an unknown.

Are you saying that the description of Hell that Jesus gives in the Gospels is merely symbolic? Makes no difference to me - he's your God's son. Not up to me if you take him seriously or not.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:The only FACT

Brian37 wrote:

The only FACT about Jesus is that people claim he existed. Debatable at best and even IF, it would still not constitute the magic tricks claimed in the bible being possible or immaterial beings with no brain or body or neurons.

if you want to get technical, everything in history is debatable at best if you weren't there and you don't trust the sources.  Think about it, convince a German that the hollocost really happened.  Some believe it but there are many who still deny it exsited despite the evidence. 

Brian37 wrote:

You merely bought a claim that appealed to you and now you are doing everything within your imagination to justify it. You are not doing anything differently than fans of Yahweh or Allah or Vishnu. You merely fell for the emotional appeal of having a hero.

Or, I have challenged you to tell me what evidence "LOGICALLY" you would accept and you can't get past needing physical evidence of a meta-physical being (not a logical request) or farting that eleged car out of your ass. 

You want physical evidence or DNA of my pet rock, fine, I'll send that to you.  Until you can tell me how to send you God DNA or Godsperm, you're going to be disappointed.  I"m willing to do it if you have a way. 

Before you go off on your usual tangent, let's think about it.  Let's just assume for a moment God exists out there as a metaphysical being.  How would I, one who knows God as I claim to go about getting this DNA evidence that you seek?  Ask him maybe?  How do I hold meta-physical DNA?  How do you study it?  Even understanding that God is a meta-phsycial being, would metaphysical DNA actually exist be it that DNA is the makeup of "physical beings"? 

Can you answer these questions?  If not, then I think you need to consider alternative evidences if you really care at all to show me how my belief is flawed.  Your rants I hate to say don't bring really any doubt to my mind, only confirmation that you lack scientific logic.   

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:I think his

jcgadfly wrote:

I think his point is that you are using an assumption and calling it "God" to make sense out of an unknown.

Are you saying that the description of Hell that Jesus gives in the Gospels is merely symbolic? Makes no difference to me - he's your God's son. Not up to me if you take him seriously or not.

Well, the idea is that we're at this point still trying to agree on a greater intelligence behind the design of the universe.  Are you saying he agrees that there is one?

Hell isn't in the original languages.  the other problem with his portrayal of Hell as the lake of fire is that in Revelation, hell is thrown into the lake of fire thus making the lake of fire not hell. 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
NoDeity wrote: By the way,

NoDeity wrote:

By the way, I have to chuckle every time a religionist declares that his or her religion is not a religion.  Religion in general has begun to give many people a bad taste in their mouths so it's understandable that believers would want to distance themselves from it.  I did the same thing myself when I was still a believer.  However, defining Christianity as something other than a religion means that you have to ignore many of the more commonly-used meanings of the word religion.  It means that you have to ignore the fact that religion does not exclusively mean institutionalized religion; religion also means things like "belief in and service to/worship of a god or gods" and "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe".  

you again are diving into a bit of history with me here.  I have gone through my intentions behind my claims for religion.  As religion is viewed in this world, I am not a part of it.  I have said this before.  I have also said that if you want to get literal, everyone who agrees with a group of people about a topic can be categorized as a part of a relgion.  If you are so bent on claiming I"m a part of a religion, I'll accept that as long as you can accept you're a part of one as well.  as one 'religionist to another' do you agree?

I believe the proper term if you want for my following would be 'unaffiliated' under the Christian category. 

NoDeity wrote:

"Non-religious" religionists like to tell you that what they have is not a religion but, rather, a personal relationship with their favourite deity.  That "relationship", of course, requires that one holds a particular "set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe".  It requires that you believe in a god or gods whom you seek to serve/follow/worship.  So, when you break it down, when someone says, "I'm not religious; I have a relationship with God" they're actually saying, "I'm not religious; I'm religious."

Kinda funny, really, don'tcha think?

yes it is.  This originally started by ones trying to claim that I"m just like every other religion in Christianity to which I clarified that i wasn't.  I would then claim 'I hated religion' in the context of what Christiain religions tend to be.  Then we get into the whole idea that whether I want to believe it or not, I'm religious, which again goes into the perspective of what a religious person is versus the true definition of what a religious person is. 

Then somewhere in the middle someone like you comes in and has to take the whole thing literally and make sure that they can prove me wrong by saying that no matter what I want to believe I'm a part of religion completely ignoring the context of where it all started.. either that or just being quite unaware, either way making their point very irrelevent to the point and progress of the conversation at hand. 

So yes, I do find it quite funny that this seems to happen a lot. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:jcgadfly

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Well, the idea is that we're at this point still trying to agree on a greater intelligence behind the design of the universe.  Are you saying he agrees that there is one?

Hell isn't in the original languages.  the other problem with his portrayal of Hell as the lake of fire is that in Revelation, hell is thrown into the lake of fire thus making the lake of fire not hell. 

I can't speak for him bu the greater intelligence designing the universe is a possibility. I don't hold to that possibility as there are too many poorly designed things out there for me to blame on a greater intelligence.

The problem is you claim that this intelligence is the God of the Bible and do so with a certainty that only one with proof can have.

As for Hell, he also claimed that it was a place reserved for the Devil and his angels but had no problems expanding the entrance requirements later on.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:iwbiek

jcgadfly wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

whoa whoa whoooooaaaaa.  what's with the misquotation?  i never said that.  just look at the capitalization and you know i never said that.  please be more careful next time.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote: ok, so are

caposkia wrote:
ok, so are you saying that all moral judgement is bad?  That it's wrong to ever tell someone they're doing something wrong?  If so, are you not making a moral judgement on Jesus by saying it's wrong for him to do that?

No, I'm saying that moral judgement is necessary.  I think you and I agree that they are mistaken who claim that Christianity is about tolerance and non-judgementalism.

caposkia wrote:
NoDeity wrote:
  It doesn't make sense to me that an omniscient being would have hope.  When you absolutely know how things will turn out, hope is irrelevant.  If one could be present in all times and all places simultaneously, hope would be irrelevant.

I used the word hope.  Maybe it's the wrong word to use.  the point being, sure even if he could be everywhere, what would expect a God to do who gave his creation "free will" to not allow his creation to make a mistake?  This of course without impeading upon free will because he promised he wouldn't.

I'm curious: where does God promise not to impinge on free will?

caposkia wrote:
NoDeity wrote:

I have an understanding of Christianity as it is generally actually practiced.  I also have a solid understanding of the New Testament and I realize that organized Christianity has wandered quite a long way from its roots.  I was a Christian for a long time and, long before I rejected belief in the divine and the supernatural, I had already rejected organized religion.  

I would agree with you that organized Christianity has wandered quite a long way from its roots.  I am curious on what pulled you away after rejecting organized religion?

After having been involved in the "charismatic movement" in the late '70s and early '80s (I blush to admit that I "spoke in tongues" -- but, damn, the pastor's daughter was cute! Eye-wink ), I suspected that many of those I'd met and heard of who claimed to have had supernatural experiences or to have special divinely-granted gifts of healing, prophesy, etc., (both inside and outside of Christianity) were either fraudulent or delusional.  So, I became interested in rational skepticism (i.e. skepticism as described by Michael Shermer, James Randi, etc.) as a means of distinguishing between what is and isn't true.  I found that when I applied those principles to the things I believed in, as opposed to just the things those religious kooks believed in, I seemed to be on shaky ground myself.  My doubts about my beliefs drove me to get into Christian apologetics and, much to my disappointment, apologetics didn't fare well when I examined it in the light of my new-found understanding of skeptical inquiry.  I wanted to believe but, eventually, I found that I could not.  (I had probably stopped believing quite a while before I was able to admit to myself that that was the case.)

caposkia wrote:
NoDeity wrote:

I agree that being judgmental isn't necessarily bad.  In fact, I reject Jesus' "Judge not lest ye be judged" and, instead, approve of Ayn Rand's "Judge and be prepared to be judged."

very similar.  The idea is that judgement comes down to a point.  How are you going to judge others.  Taking the word literally, you can't avoid being a judge of everything, it's how you understand and comprehend life.  What Jesus was saying is that you will be judged by the father in the same manner you judge others.  In other words, you will be judged, but only in the way you have judged others. 

So many misunderstand scripture because they look at it for how it is written in their language and fail to do the research on the context and intention behind the statement. 

It's somewhat similar in that it recognizes that judging leads to oneself being judged.  The Jesus character quotation, though, appears to be urging people to avoid judging in order to avoid judgement, which is quite different from Rand's advice.  Is it your view that that is an accurate description of the difference or do you think it is a consequence of the Jesus character quotation being misunderstood as a consquence of having been translated between languages and cultures?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:I can't speak

jcgadfly wrote:

I can't speak for him bu the greater intelligence designing the universe is a possibility. I don't hold to that possibility as there are too many poorly designed things out there for me to blame on a greater intelligence.

Which one atheist turn theist brought up the question, 'with such an understanding that there are so many flawed things, how could we possibly come to the conclusion that there is this perfect being behind the design?'   The point is, it still happened. 

Another thought, what might be flawed or poorly designed to you might be intentional for a reason beyond our understanding.  Don't know what you might be referring to though.

jcgadfly wrote:

The problem is you claim that this intelligence is the God of the Bible and do so with a certainty that only one with proof can have.

you're right.

jcgadfly wrote:

As for Hell, he also claimed that it was a place reserved for the Devil and his angels but had no problems expanding the entrance requirements later on.

From what I understand, if you look through all of the OT, there is not once a mention of this Hell.   The Bible does mention of deep chambers in some areas that fallen angels are in or certain places they're bound, but a question comes that if that's where the deamons are, then how is it that they're also on Earth posessing people... and why are some lucky enough to be bound at the river Euphrates? 

If hell is as said, then they would be bound there, not able to freely come and go as they please, same with people, but it's not said to be that way.  In fact, the original languages as I said don't mention Hell.  Just a place where the dead go. 

I think what is misconstrued through religion and somantics is that separation from God is portrayed as Hell, when it's written simply as quite unpleasent.  comparibly to being in a hell like we have formulated with our imaginations.  Those who don't follow God will be separated from him at death.... whatever that might mean.  We could then go into the whole Revelation thing about how they'll all be thrown into the lake of fire, but there's much more to that story than just that moment and would require a discussion on the book and what is written about the "final days"...

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
NoDeity wrote: No, I'm

NoDeity wrote:

No, I'm saying that moral judgement is necessary.  I think you and I agree that they are mistaken who claim that Christianity is about tolerance and non-judgementalism.

Yes.  I'm just trying to make it clear that Christianity is about unity and equality and not about separation as the religious sects have made it to be.  Improper judgement can cause separation as well as intolerance.   Christianity is accepting of all no matter who you are and what you've done, but it does stick by it's morals. 

NoDeity wrote:

The Gospels are a good place to start... I should tell you, you're not going to find a literal sentence that says; "I YHWH will not impinge on your free will", but it is made quite clear.

NoDeity wrote:

After having been involved in the "charismatic movement" in the late '70s and early '80s (I blush to admit that I "spoke in tongues" -- but, damn, the pastor's daughter was cute! Eye-wink ), I suspected that many of those I'd met and heard of who claimed to have had supernatural experiences or to have special divinely-granted gifts of healing, prophesy, etc., (both inside and outside of Christianity) were either fraudulent or delusional.  So, I became interested in rational skepticism (i.e. skepticism as described by Michael Shermer, James Randi, etc.) as a means of distinguishing between what is and isn't true.  I found that when I applied those principles to the things I believed in, as opposed to just the things those religious kooks believed in, I seemed to be on shaky ground myself.  My doubts about my beliefs drove me to get into Christian apologetics and, much to my disappointment, apologetics didn't fare well when I examined it in the light of my new-found understanding of skeptical inquiry.  I wanted to believe but, eventually, I found that I could not.  (I had probably stopped believing quite a while before I was able to admit to myself that that was the case.)

You know why they call it apologetics right?  Could be a round-about way of saying "sorry I dont' have a better explanation of why I believe" ;P   Sadly, it focuses on doctern and not necessarily the Bible. 

NoDeity wrote:

It's somewhat similar in that it recognizes that judging leads to oneself being judged.  The Jesus character quotation, though, appears to be urging people to avoid judging in order to avoid judgement, which is quite different from Rand's advice.  Is it your view that that is an accurate description of the difference or do you think it is a consequence of the Jesus character quotation being misunderstood as a consquence of having been translated between languages and cultures?

I don't see it as avoid judging in order to avoid judgement.  Says in Revelation all will be judged according to their deeds... ALL... indicating that how you judge is what matters.  I do believe that we're just misrepresenting the word judgement probably through translational issues.  The judgement mentioned is talking about discriminatory judgement vs. judgement in general. 

NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:NoDeity

caposkia wrote:

NoDeity wrote:

Yes.  I'm just trying to make it clear that Christianity is about unity and equality and not about separation as the religious sects have made it to be.  Improper judgement can cause separation as well as intolerance.   Christianity is accepting of all no matter who you are and what you've done, but it does stick by it's morals. 

NoDeity wrote:

The Gospels are a good place to start... I should tell you, you're not going to find a literal sentence that says; "I YHWH will not impinge on your free will", but it is made quite clear.

Can you give me one example?  One reason I'm curious about that is that there are some pretty clear instances in which, according to the Bible, God did impinge on someone's free will, such as when he "hardened" Pharoah's "heart".

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Improper

"Improper judgment"????????

Cappy Cappy Cappy, I am quite sure that conveniently know what "proper judgment" is. Sorry all you other Christians and Muslims and Jews, you got it wrong. The answers are all right here with Cappy.

Meanwhile Cap has evidence that a invisible brain with no brain, no neurons and no cerebellum floating around in the cosmos everywhere and nowhere at the same time. Is this the invisible friend who guided your neurons to find the "proper" judgment?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
NoDeity wrote:Can you give

NoDeity wrote:

Can you give me one example?  One reason I'm curious about that is that there are some pretty clear instances in which, according to the Bible, God did impinge on someone's free will, such as when he "hardened" Pharoah's "heart".

Ah, what you gave is a perfect example of literary assumption.  For that you need to look at where God is coming from in this story.  He knows the pharoah like you would know your own child or wife.  when he "hardened Pharoah's heart", I understand it as;

you're going to tell him the truth, but he's not going to want to hear it, therefore by me telling you to tell him this, I will harden his heart.  It still was pharoah's choice to accept the news or refuse it.  God knew what choice he would make.

It'd be like you saying... 'I know you're going to hate me for this, but you need to know....'  This way, it shows that God gave pharoah a fair chance to change his mind about what he was doing.

As far as the example you were looking for.  You're still looking for that sentence that says; 'I YHWH will not impinge on your free will' aren't you?  The reason why I referenced the Gospels is because the general ministry of Jesus is all about giving us a way to redeem ourselves, yet only by a choice of following Jesus does that happen.  No where does it say that you don't have a choice. 

You are going to read into some other quotes from the Bible, like Jesus saying to a disciple, "you will deny me three times".  Making it sound like he has no control or choice in the matter because it's a prophesy of something that hasn't happened yet.  Though he does have a choice on whether he is to deny Christ or not, when the moment comes it's fear we see that overcomes him and he of course does as said. 

My question to you should be where does it say God does impinge on free will? 

Let's put it this way, if he did impinge on free will, then there would have been no reason to send Jesus to die for us on the cross.  There would be no point in having the laws written in Exodus, there would be no point in sending Moses on the journey he went on due to the fact that God could have prevented the slavery in the first place through impingement of free will. 

I am curious of other parts of the Bible that you think God is impinging upon free will.  According to how the Bible is written in Genesis, Adam and Eve would still be living in the garden if God impeded upon free will. 

I can see the counter arguement of how God will allow free will, but still has controlled.  So I think the best approach is to have you show me the areas where you think he's impeding on it and we can discuss.

NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

NoDeity wrote:

Ah, what you gave is a perfect example of literary assumption.  For that you need to look at where God is coming from in this story.  He knows the pharoah like you would know your own child or wife.  when he "hardened Pharoah's heart", I understand it as;

you're going to tell him the truth, but he's not going to want to hear it, therefore by me telling you to tell him this, I will harden his heart.  It still was pharoah's choice to accept the news or refuse it.  God knew what choice he would make.

It'd be like you saying... 'I know you're going to hate me for this, but you need to know....'  This way, it shows that God gave pharoah a fair chance to change his mind about what he was doing.

LOL!  Do you actually find that rationalization convincing?

caposkia wrote:
As far as the example you were looking for.  You're still looking for that sentence that says; 'I YHWH will not impinge on your free will' aren't you?  The reason why I referenced the Gospels is because the general ministry of Jesus is all about giving us a way to redeem ourselves, yet only by a choice of following Jesus does that happen.  No where does it say that you don't have a choice. 

You are going to read into some other quotes from the Bible, like Jesus saying to a disciple, "you will deny me three times".  Making it sound like he has no control or choice in the matter because it's a prophesy of something that hasn't happened yet.  Though he does have a choice on whether he is to deny Christ or not, when the moment comes it's fear we see that overcomes him and he of course does as said. 

My question to you should be where does it say God does impinge on free will? 

I already gave you a clear example but you have made it clear that you will not read the text for what it plainly says but, instead, will twist it to make it fit what you already believe.

caposkia wrote:
Let's put it this way, if he did impinge on free will, then there would have been no reason to send Jesus to die for us on the cross.  There would be no point in having the laws written in Exodus, there would be no point in sending Moses on the journey he went on due to the fact that God could have prevented the slavery in the first place through impingement of free will.

[shrug] That the Bible is inconsistent and self-contradictory is your problem, not mine.  Eye-wink

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:"Improper

Brian37 wrote:

Cappy Cappy Cappy, I am quite sure that conveniently know what "proper judgment" is. Sorry all you other Christians and Muslims and Jews, you got it wrong. The answers are all right here with Cappy.

Meanwhile Cap has evidence that a invisible brain with no brain, no neurons and no cerebellum floating around in the cosmos everywhere and nowhere at the same time. Is this the invisible friend who guided your neurons to find the "proper" judgment?

haha!! Brian, you never cease to amaze me.  You can read through a whole series of conversations over and over again and still miss the purpose of the conversation and topic at hand.  It's amazing how religious you really are.  It's like trying to talk to a Jehovah's Witness.  You seem to feel that ignorance and redundancy will convince people of your belief. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:Brian37

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

haha!! Brian, you never cease to amaze me.  You can read through a whole series of conversations over and over again and still miss the purpose of the conversation and topic at hand.  It's amazing how religious you really are.  It's like trying to talk to a Jehovah's Witness.  You seem to feel that ignorance and redundancy will convince people of your belief. 

I am not missing anything. I am skipping your distractions and cutting to the chase. In the end, beyond all this tripe about an ancient book written by unscientific people, ultimately it boils down to you you believing in a disembodied brain with no brain with magic super powers.

Talking about an ancient book is a distraction when I am talking about the alleged god itself. Other people have their disembodied being claims too of other religions., yet you don't believe in their invisible friend claims. It never occurs to you that you merely like what you believe.

If anything is laughable it is you thinking I am missing the point when it is you who is missing the point.

It is all in your head and merely something you want to believe. Otherwise you'd be able to replicate and falsify your "god" claim in an independent peer reviewed setting.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I am not

Brian37 wrote:

I am not missing anything. I am skipping your distractions and cutting to the chase. In the end, beyond all this tripe about an ancient book written by unscientific people, ultimately it boils down to you you believing in a disembodied brain with no brain with magic super powers.

Talking about an ancient book is a distraction when I am talking about the alleged god itself. Other people have their disembodied being claims too of other religions., yet you don't believe in their invisible friend claims. It never occurs to you that you merely like what you believe.

i rest my case.  I have told you strait out that I am not trying to distract you and am trying to take you head on with your challenges... so far you have no basis for allegations of my belief.

I have challenged you to tell me how I can present to you what you're looking for... that is God DNA or god-sperm.  First I have asked you how I can get DNA (data for physical beings) from God to give you to study and also have presented the question of whether that would even exist assuming God exists. 
Speaking of distractions, you have very effectively ignored that challenge and tried to turn the tables to claim that I have no basis. 

how am I supposed to present you evidence if you wont' tell me a logical means of doing so? 

Brian37 wrote:

If anything is laughable it is you thinking I am missing the point when it is you who is missing the point.

Ah yes, I forget.  You still think i haven't understood that you think along the same lines as Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, traditional catholics or other sects of Christiandom.  Don't' worry, I understand you believe it's snowing even though i see it raining.  I could bring you a cup of rain, but you'll claim the snow melted before I got it to you.  So tell me now.  Where do we go from here?

If you ask me again to show you evidence then tell me a logical means of doing so.  let's actually take the sheer assumption that this God I claim actually exists.  How would you present the evidence of this God to someone else? I ask you this in hopes that you'll think of a reasonable means of evidence that you would suggest me presenting.  Nothing that would be obviously unachievable even through Biblical standards. 

Brian37 wrote:

It is all in your head and merely something you want to believe. Otherwise you'd be able to replicate and falsify your "god" claim in an independent peer reviewed setting.

I have presented to you a willingness to work with you under logical means.  Balls in your court to present to me a logical and reasonable means of evidence that you will consider. 

Truthfully, you're so adamant on your own belief.  I want to come to an agreement with you... unfortunately, you fail to use logical thinking.  You ask for an apple then tell me to prove to you that dinosaurs existed only using that apple.  What do you expect from that except for me to say I can't?  You then conclude that because I can't prove dinosaurs existed through that apple, that they never actually existed when in fact your request was illogical to begin with. 

Do you see where I'm coming from here?  Can you think on that wavelength?  

No frustration on my part intended on this reply either.  I'm just honestly confused by you... not because you won't believe what i believe, but because it seems you can't think logically even in your challenges to my belief.  I will point out that others seem  to find a logical means of challenging my belief.  it's why I compare you to those religious sects out there like the Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons.  They use the same means of logic to prove their point.  Point and case, it's not logical and when scrutinized, it doesn't hold water. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:[shrug] That

caposkia wrote:

[shrug] That the Bible is inconsistent and self-contradictory is your problem, not mine.  Eye-wink

At least you acknowledge that it is inconsistent and self contradictory. You just choose not to dwell on that part.

You remind me of the defense against the Ravenous Bug-Blatter Beast of Traal in the Douglas Adams Hitchhiker books. The defense is to wrap your towel over your eyes because the beast assumes that if you can't see it then it can't see you. 

"If I don't see the glaring problems in the Bible, they're not there", right?

— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
The ball was never in my

The ball was never in my court because I am not claiming a magical invisible friend with no brain, you are.

Im calling "BULLSHIT" and it is up to you to come up with a god model and have it independently replicated and falsified.

Otherwise if logic worked that way I could say, "The ball is in your court to prove that their isn't a invisable teapot orbiting Jupiter"

Or, "The ball is in your court to prove to me that Allah is my pet invisible brain in the sky isn't real".

Your problem is that you are so deeply in love with your pet claim you are unwilling to examine it. All you are doing is looking for ways to justify your position. Testing something and justifying something are two different things. Testing is not dependent on liking a claim. Testing depends on drawing upon good prior data, coming up with a standard universal test, and then testing it and falsifying it, THEN handing that data over to others with no horse in the race and have them repeat what you have done.

Humans have always had a history of making up myths and gods and your problem is that you think you are not doing anything differently. You merely like the ideal of a super hero so you look for ways to justify your position. That is not the same as testing what you claim.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:how am I supposed to

Quote:
how am I supposed to present you evidence if you wont' tell me a logical means of doing so?

I did tell you HOW you could logically demonstrate your claim. You don't want to because you know you cant. You are just so in love with your claim that you don't want to face that you cant. Stop being in love with your claim. Stop trying to justify it and be unafraid of TESTING IT.

If I came to you and claimed, "I can fix your transmission problem in your car by waving this feather boa around it"? Because cars are real and feather boas are real, means I have a way of proving to you I can fix your car? Or is it merely bullshit?

NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:caposkia

jcgadfly wrote:

caposkia wrote:

At least you acknowledge that it is inconsistent and self contradictory. You just choose not to dwell on that part.

You remind me of the defense against the Ravenous Bug-Blatter Beast of Traal in the Douglas Adams Hitchhiker books. The defense is to wrap your towel over your eyes because the beast assumes that if you can't see it then it can't see you. 

FWIW, the quote attribution above should have my name in it, not caposkia's.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
NoDeity wrote:jcgadfly

NoDeity wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

caposkia wrote:

FWIW, the quote attribution above should have my name in it, not caposkia's.

My mistake. The commentary is for cap.

— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: caposkia

jcgadfly wrote:

caposkia wrote:

Just for the record, that's not my quote.  Please be careful.  If you check, that was I believe NoDeity.  I never claimed that it was inconsistent nor self-contradictory.

jcgadfly wrote:

uh... I thought you knew me better than that after all this time.  I'm going to assume you're basing that assumption off of the misquote above.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

caposkia wrote:

Just for the record, that's not my quote.  Please be careful.  If you check, that was I believe NoDeity.  I never claimed that it was inconsistent nor self-contradictory.

jcgadfly wrote:

uh... I thought you knew me better than that after all this time.  I'm going to assume you're basing that assumption off of the misquote above.

Yeah - i apologize to both of you.

Someday I'd like to find Christians who don't think it part of God's wil to lie to me. I'm not saying you're one yet but you are not plural.

— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:The ball was

Brian37 wrote:

The ball was never in my court because I am not claiming a magical invisible friend with no brain, you are.

Open your eyes for a second.  I put the ball in your court when I asked you for a logical focus for evidence or discussion.  You have yet to follow through.

Brian37 wrote:

Im calling "BULLSHIT" and it is up to you to come up with a god model and have it independently replicated and falsified.

I can tell you a million things that I know about God, but until I understand what you will accept it will all be pointless.  Ready to play yet?

Brian37 wrote:

Otherwise if logic worked that way I could say, "The ball is in your court to prove that their isn't a invisable teapot orbiting Jupiter"

Or, "The ball is in your court to prove to me that Allah is my pet invisible brain in the sky isn't real".

I'm willing to look at the meta-physical aspects that might hold you to that belief as well as the documentation and supporting evidence as I have offered for you.  What will you be willing to accept as evidence besides an illogical DNA from a meta-physical being. 

I guess I could be just as illogical to you and say that you have to go to Jupiter and get me the DNA of this invisible teapot.  Let's think logically for a second.  Say this invisible teapot you speak of actually exists.  Would it honestly be logical for me to ask you to give me a DNA sample of it?  Or could there be other ways you could show me the reasoning behind your belief?

Brian37 wrote:

Your problem is that you are so deeply in love with your pet claim you are unwilling to examine it.

yea, that's it.  i have never offered to talk to anyone about the scientific, historical, geological, archeological, meta-physical or emperical evidences of my belief... ya got me there (*hand smacks head*)

maybe you weren't all there when I said I'm looking for people to challenge what I know.  It's ok, we all have those nights. 

Brian37 wrote:

All you are doing is looking for ways to justify your position. Testing something and justifying something are two different things.  Testing is not dependent on liking a claim. Testing depends on drawing upon good prior data, coming up with a standard universal test, and then testing it and falsifying it, THEN handing that data over to others with no horse in the race and have them repeat what you have done.

woah.... wait a minute... was that.... naw... was that a...  logical thought process from Brian!!!!!!!  Excuse me while I get some Advil. 

Brian37 wrote:

Humans have always had a history of making up myths and gods and your problem is that you think you are not doing anything differently. You merely like the ideal of a super hero so you look for ways to justify your position. That is not the same as testing what you claim.

alright, how do you propose I test my position? 

wait a second... I need a logical means of testing... not praying for a lambroghini fart or for it to rain God DNA.

Oh, and it needs to be something so that the results, when presented to you... will be understood and considered... and replicated by you... In other words, it must have a result that you can accept as a "God-sighting" as some would call it.  

Be it that God's not a constant and can make choices, I'm excited to hear your idea.  Somehow I don't think I'll get a logical response..  though you're so bent on proving me wrong, maybe this is a perfect opportunity for you to shine. 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcadfly wrote:Yeah - i

jcadfly wrote:

Yeah - i apologize to both of you.

Someday I'd like to find Christians who don't think it part of God's wil to lie to me. I'm not saying you're one yet but you are not plural.

I know a lot of Christians that wouldn't lie to you.  I'm curious on what lies have been told to you.  I would like to clarify those misunderstandings if at all possible. 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Quote:how am I

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:

I did tell you HOW you could logically demonstrate your claim. You don't want to because you know you cant. You are just so in love with your claim that you don't want to face that you cant. Stop being in love with your claim. Stop trying to justify it and be unafraid of TESTING IT.

If I came to you and claimed, "I can fix your transmission problem in your car by waving this feather boa around it"? Because cars are real and feather boas are real, means I have a way of proving to you I can fix your car? Or is it merely bullshit?

You tell me. 

I apologise.  I apparently overlooked your logical means of testing.  Please reiterate and clarify so that I may consider what you had suggested to me.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Open your eyes for a

Quote:
Open your eyes for a second.  I put the ball in your court when I asked you for a logical focus for evidence or discussion.  You have yet to follow through.

AND FOR THE BILLIONTH TIME I GAVE IT TO YOU.

Replication and falsification and independent verification.

I cant dumb down those words any further.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Quote:Open

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:

apparently I have to dumb it down for you further however. 

Alright, i get that part... of what now.  What can I do that with so that you will consider the results?  That's the part I've been talking about that you have so effectively been ignoring.  A logical basis for understanding.  What would you be looking for logically?  Then I can go from there. 

Anything? 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:

apparently I have to dumb it down for you further however. 

Alright, i get that part... of what now.  What can I do that with so that you will consider the results?  That's the part I've been talking about that you have so effectively been ignoring.  A logical basis for understanding.  What would you be looking for logically?  Then I can go from there. 

Anything? 

What results, before you can have results you have to establish the starting point, you have not done that.

"God" is a concept and a bad one at that and a naked assertion, and that is your starting point.

Here is what you are doing........

God=1+1=2=therefore God exists

No different than

Allah=1+1=2=therefor Allah exists

No different than

Snarfwidget=1+1=2=therefor Snarfwidgets exist.

AND ON TOP OF THAT

You don't even plug anything in the middle that resembles valid science. You mix the bible with psudo philosopy and mix it up with psudo science and call it fact then then "poof" my God exists. You are merely pulling this out of your ass.

If it was so lagit, why isn't it taught world wide in every university?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:What results,

Brian37 wrote:

What results, before you can have results you have to establish the starting point, you have not done that.

That's where you come in.  Yes I get it, God is not a good starting point for you.  Therefore, you need to tell me what would be a good starting point.  Anything yet?  You have again effectively ignored the request due to the fact that there is none for you.... hey.. making assumptions about your belief is easy!  I see why you do it now.

I can't make a starting point unless you tell me what you will accept!   Everyone knows I have tried.  It's been a long while since I have because I've learned on this site that me making a starting point gets nowhere, not because there's no evidence as you seem to believe, but because excuses come up.  therefore if you come up with the starting point, it's going to be harder for you to come up with excuses.  Of course it has to be a logical starting point as I've said. 

So please tell me.  What have you to start with?  Car farting?  comparing apples to Kangaroo?  How about logic now?  If not God, what?  If God, then what specifically would you consider persuing with me? 

Brian37 wrote:

"God" is a concept and a bad one at that and a naked assertion, and that is your starting point.

Here is what you are doing........

God=1+1=2=therefore God exists

No different than

Allah=1+1=2=therefor Allah exists

No different than

Snarfwidget=1+1=2=therefor Snarfwidgets exist.

Here you go again insulting the intelligence of every person on this forum.  First you and I both know that I've said more than 1+1= 2 therefore God exists.  I'm guessing your referencing to the majority of just this forum which i have clearly explained so many back (and you were a part of this forum at the time )why I haven't gone into details here.  I have however referenced other forums I've had an am currently a part of that has gone into detail... but i forget that it's too much for you to handle. 

Lemme ask you this.  Is it really more logic to claim that and I quote.."I can't fart a lambroghini, therefore God cannot exist" than 1+1=2 therefore God exists.  By the way, that's the method of Jehovah's Witnesses and Catholics... yet you adhere to that logic.  You are indeed more religious than I. 

Brian37 wrote:

AND ON TOP OF THAT

You don't even plug anything in the middle that resembles valid science. You mix the bible with psudo philosopy and mix it up with psudo science and call it fact then then "poof" my God exists. You are merely pulling this out of your ass.

Yea, ok.  Sure.  If you're really going to insult what I have presented, I would at least request specifics so I can either clarify my understanding or admit to my mistake. 

Brian37 wrote:

If it was so lagit, why isn't it taught world wide in every university?

Oh, I think you know the answer to that.  To refresh a bit, look at what people understand about separation of church and state. 

It's also funny you say that, I think you'll find that many universities do in fact teach it.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:That's where you come

Quote:
That's where you come in.  Yes I get it, God is not a good starting point for you.

IT IS NOT A GOOD STARTING POINT PERIOD!

What have YOU established beyond any Muslim or Hindu or Jewish or Scientologist or for that matter Big Foot claim, that makes your disembodied brain in the sky credible BEYOND your own personal wishes and beyond tradition or popular belief?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Quote:That's

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:
That's where you come in.  Yes I get it, God is not a good starting point for you.

What have YOU established beyond any Muslim or Hindu or Jewish or Scientologist or for that matter Big Foot claim, that makes your disembodied brain in the sky credible BEYOND your own personal wishes and beyond tradition or popular belief?

I've done the research a lot of homework on the subject.  I have looked into some of the major religions and also looked into God.   I'm willing to bet if you asked the average Jew/Muslim/Christian/Confucian/Buddhist/etc.  they would have very little to back themselves up on why they follow it.

Me on the other hand.  I have many reasons and have presented some reasons for my belief on this website through a few different forums. 

Also unlike most others who follow a religion, I challenge people to challenge what I know and whether you want to believe it or not, I take into consideration all logical and rational critiques to my belief.  I do the homework on all of it.  I have learned a lot from people on this website challenging what I know.  To your disappointment, I haven't learned anything yet that has made me question whether what I believe is true or not.  Some have definitely inspired some good study sessions on my part. I'll be the first to admit I don't know it all.  but none of what I have found through that focused study has caused me question in the Christian following as I follow it. 
That's what I have established beyond others.

Now just so you don't go off on a tangent again about me creating my own religion yet again...( because I know that's what you wish was true.  I understand, it's really the only way you can defend your own belief without actually having to do some thinking on your own, ) there are many others out there just like me.  I have referenced a few on some forums as well.  I'm pretty sure you've been a part of those forums as well during those times I had referenced. 

btw, good job on yet again avoiding the inevitable question of the focus that you will accept.  Avoidance is truly the only way of defending your belief isn't it.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:alright, how do you

Quote:
alright, how do you propose I test my position?

JEBUS KRISTOS ON A CRACKER MAN@!

Find prior data(a history of claims is not the same as a history of independently confirmed data).

Set up a model. Set up control groups and blind control groups. Test and replicate and falsify these things. Once you have collected the data from this study, get it independently peer reviewed.

If you cant even collect prior data, maybe your claim isn't valid in the first place.

BUT for you to expect me to do your homework for you is absurd.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:

I've done the research a lot of homework on the subject.  I have looked into some of the major religions and also looked into God.   I'm willing to bet if you asked the average Jew/Muslim/Christian/Confucian/Buddhist/etc.  they would have very little to back themselves up on why they follow it.

Me on the other hand.  I have many reasons and have presented some reasons for my belief on this website through a few different forums. 

Also unlike most others who follow a religion, I challenge people to challenge what I know and whether you want to believe it or not, I take into consideration all logical and rational critiques to my belief.  I do the homework on all of it.  I have learned a lot from people on this website challenging what I know.  To your disappointment, I haven't learned anything yet that has made me question whether what I believe is true or not.  Some have definitely inspired some good study sessions on my part. I'll be the first to admit I don't know it all.  but none of what I have found through that focused study has caused me question in the Christian following as I follow it. 
That's what I have established beyond others.

Now just so you don't go off on a tangent again about me creating my own religion yet again...( because I know that's what you wish was true.  I understand, it's really the only way you can defend your own belief without actually having to do some thinking on your own, ) there are many others out there just like me.  I have referenced a few on some forums as well.  I'm pretty sure you've been a part of those forums as well during those times I had referenced. 

btw, good job on yet again avoiding the inevitable question of the focus that you will accept.  Avoidance is truly the only way of defending your belief isn't it.

Having reasons for anything is not the same as having the ability to demonstrate something. Justifying a position only means you look for ways to prop something up. TESTING TESTING TESTING, is the only GOOD REASON to hold a position.

All I hear you do is "my pet god is real and the others are fake" (insert naked assertions here and pass them off as logic)

You buy a brain with no brain. So all the crap about the bible is no different than the Egyptians praying to the sun as if it were a thinking being. YOU HAVE NOTHING but a stupid claim of a brain with no brain. THAT is all you have.

Don't get mad at me for pulling back the curtain and exposing the reality that it is all in your head. Don't get mad at me for what some uneducated goat hearders wrote when they didn't know what DNA was or a neuron was. You should be angry at the people who sold you this bullshit.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:JEBUS KRISTOS

Brian37 wrote:

JEBUS KRISTOS ON A CRACKER MAN@!

Find prior data(a history of claims is not the same as a history of independently confirmed data).

Set up a model. Set up control groups and blind control groups. Test and replicate and falsify these things. Once you have collected the data from this study, get it independently peer reviewed.

If you cant even collect prior data, maybe your claim isn't valid in the first place.

BUT for you to expect me to do your homework for you is absurd.

What homework am I expecting you to do for me?  I'm just asking you for a specific assignment professor.  Right now you're telling me to write you a history report.  I'm asking you to tell me specifically what will you accept?  Telling me to write a history report and that's it is a very broad range and the result may not be what you want or will accept.

Thank you for the rundown of setting up emperical testing.  I appreciate the refresher.  Now... you have given me more specifics as far as data.  You want me to find prior data, but you want independently confirmed data.  Ok.  From what independent source would you accept as confirmed and what would you not? 

Also, to what extent of detail from history.

From what you're telling me, you want me to set up an emperical experiement from this historical data.  So it seems that you want to focus on a "God-sighting" of sorts.  That simply means a happening in history that is credited to the Christian God's work.  If I'm wrong about this, please let me know.

Another specific... just so I can make sure I'm doing the proper report for you... cause you see, I'm trying to get an A.  And any level headed professor would be proud of a student who asks a lot of questions to make sure they're doing the work right.  What God sighting did you have in mind for me to do the resarch on and set up this test for?   Also, how would you conclude that it was really a God-sighting if it actually concludes the way it did in history?  Depending on the God-sighting you had in mind, could it be possible that a natural chain of events could have caused a similar outcome? 

One more thing.  What makes you think an independently thinking being would make the same choice with a given set of circumstances?  What if the results were different?  does that mean that God doesn't exist... because He may have chosen differently?  The difficulty of setting up such a test is that you have 2 non-constants.  The groups that you will set up and the focus of the test.  Usually emperical testing has a constant.  What is the constant in this test? 

Just legitimate questions we would both have to take into consideration when doing such an elaborate study on God. 

Once you can clarify for me the questions above, I'll get started.  I may have other questions along the way, but we'll see where the focus is first.  Thank you for clarifying 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Having reasons

Brian37 wrote:

Having reasons for anything is not the same as having the ability to demonstrate something. Justifying a position only means you look for ways to prop something up. TESTING TESTING TESTING, is the only GOOD REASON to hold a position.

and yet on the forums you have been on with me, you seem to adhere to the justifying your position with 'having reasons for anything'. 

Brian37 wrote:

All I hear you do is "my pet god is real and the others are fake" (insert naked assertions here and pass them off as logic)

Funny you should say that.  I think I remember mentioning... specifically to you I believe, that we have to get past the existance of ANY god first before I can even begin to defend my belief.  Curious on where you're getting that claim from.  Since I have been following your lead... are you the one making naked assertions and passing them off as logic?  e.g.  no God DNA = no God /  can't fart lambroghini = no God.  etc. 

Brian37 wrote:

You buy a brain with no brain. So all the crap about the bible is no different than the Egyptians praying to the sun as if it were a thinking being. YOU HAVE NOTHING but a stupid claim of a brain with no brain. THAT is all you have.

no need to get angry.  Its when you make a naked assertion.... like above that i ask you for your research. (just like you do with me)  So far, you've shied away from that request with more naked assertions. (I have tried to clarify what you were looking for so that I can honestly and sincerely do the work you need me to do)  Yes, I know, you'll get all testy now about proving a negative.  That's not what I'm asking.

You have conclusive evidence that there is no God.  You must have because your statement above is conclusive.  There must be something your hanging on to besides your own belief and understanding... or is it that all the claims you're making about me believing in God apply to you?

Brian37 wrote:

Don't get mad at me for pulling back the curtain and exposing the reality that it is all in your head. Don't get mad at me for what some uneducated goat hearders wrote when they didn't know what DNA was or a neuron was. You should be angry at the people who sold you this bullshit.

Why do you keep thinking I'm getting mad or upset?  Sorry if I come across that way, I never mean it to.  I'm not mad.   If I was I'm pretty sure I'd stop talking to you. 

Here's the problem.  You claim to have; "pulled back the curtain and [exposed] the reality that it is all in [my] head".  What exactly have you presented to me that is conclusive evidence that my God is non-existant or imaginary?  Your only defense has been accusing me of naked assertions and making it quite a process for me to get a specific approach to evidences for God that you would accept and that would be logical.  Your only explanation for your defense is it's impossible to prove a negative already taking the bias approach that there is no God and not doing any logical research to conclude that.  

I would take into consideration inconclusive evidence if there was actually some legitimate research done on your part.  Some people on here are actually presenting me some logical research.  They are making me do a lot of homework and I'm enjoying it.  They to me are much more credible for their claims than you only because they are backing up the reason why they don't believe just as well as I'm backing up to them why I do believe. 

I feel like with you, there's more to it than just evidence holding you from the belief in God.  With you it seems personal.  Something on the inside vs. what you know from the outside. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
"So it seems that you want

"So it seems that you want to focus on a "God-sighting" of sorts.  That simply means a happening in history that is credited to the Christian God's work.  If I'm wrong about this, please let me know."

Cap, I would extend that to a happening that could be attributed only to the Christian God. If I can think of a plausible natural explanation, it doesn't count.

— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:"So it seems

jcgadfly wrote:

"So it seems that you want to focus on a "God-sighting" of sorts.  That simply means a happening in history that is credited to the Christian God's work.  If I'm wrong about this, please let me know."

Cap, I would extend that to a happening that could be attributed only to the Christian God. If I can think of a plausible natural explanation, it doesn't count.

I would agree to a point, but a God-sighting literally is anything that a person considers to be an act of God.   Right there you see the problem with testing those.  Don't misunderstand my belief.  I know there are claimed God-sightings, then there are actual God-sightings.  It's always intreguing to see what people consider God-sightings and why they feel that is the case.

I would prefer sticking to one that could be only attributed to the Christian God.  The problem with one that doesn't have a natural explanation is the fact that a lot of God's work scripturally was within the confines of the ability of nature and only were a "God-sighting" due to the impeccable timing of the event.  Therefore, it really narrows it down.  I guess that helps us become a little more specific.  I can't wait to see what is chosen. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

I would agree to a point, but a God-sighting literally is anything that a person considers to be an act of God.   Right there you see the problem with testing those.  Don't misunderstand my belief.  I know there are claimed God-sightings, then there are actual God-sightings.  It's always intreguing to see what people consider God-sightings and why they feel that is the case.

I would prefer sticking to one that could be only attributed to the Christian God.  The problem with one that doesn't have a natural explanation is the fact that a lot of God's work scripturally was within the confines of the ability of nature and only were a "God-sighting" due to the impeccable timing of the event.  Therefore, it really narrows it down.  I guess that helps us become a little more specific.  I can't wait to see what is chosen. 

The problem I have with that idea is that naturally explained, impeccably timed coincidences also occur. The "it was so well timed it must be god" is still an argument from personal incredulity

— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:The problem I

jcgadfly wrote:

The problem I have with that idea is that naturally explained, impeccably timed coincidences also occur. The "it was so well timed it must be god" is still an argument from personal incredulity

I can see where you're coming from on that.  It's why I'm usually not just accepting of every claimed "God-sighting"

There are some like...

Woah, I didn't know you were shopping at Target today!  Must be God's will.

right... sure ok.  if that's what you want to believe.

Then there are others like one possibility of the parting of the Reed Sea... or Red Sea as explained by geology and science.  (just to avoid dispute, it's one of a few possibilities that have been speculated.  Just for example here)

So Moses slams his staff into the sea and the waters part.

explanation 1 of many:

Around the same time, there was a distant volcano that had erupted.  It was a strati-eruption which caused a quake.  This quake caused a tsunami in the sea.  Everyone knows that before a tsunami strikes land, the water level will dramatically drop.  Now geologists have found that around the area it is assumed that Moses had crossed, there is a section of raised land under the water.  It is (I forget how many feet they said higher than the surrounding land under water) Therefore, the tsunami pulled back the water so that dry land appeared giving the illusion that the sea had parted.  They get safely across and when the Pharaoh and his army went, the tsunami came crashing down. 

If this is actually how the event took place.  I have to say that's a little too ironic to be ironic.  Quite a God-sighting if I do say so myself.

Granted I took the extreme of both ends here, but I think you see my point.  There are some things that can easily be blown off as.. Sure, maybe God planned that, or it could have been irony, but probability plays a factor.  There's a much higher possibility that you're going to meet your friend in Target than a strati-eruption occurring in such a way to quake the earth causing a tsunami that would draw the water away from a raised piece of land allowing a group of people to cross it safely then drowning the per suing army.  What is the probability that God actually had a sound reason for you to meet your friend at that moment in that store?  did anything significant happen because of it?  NO?  Probably not a God-sighting then. 

Just to clarify here as well, i know you don't believe that actually happened.  I'm just trying to make a point between the probability of irony and it actually being something God did to intervene or change events. 

Though of course it is in the eye of the beholder as they say.  Some say that the Moses story is myth and some still believe that the Holocaust never happened.  What you decide is irony may to another person be by no doubt a God-sighting.  Your assumption would most likely be based on the idea that God definitely is not real therefore nullifying the probability that it was anything more than irony.  A logical believer would look at the outcome of the alleged God-sighting and make an educated conclusion though processes that needed to take place in order for the God-sighting to occur and the outcome or result of such a happening. 

NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
User is offlineOffline
You gotta be kidding

caposkia wrote:
Some say that the Moses story is myth and some still believe that the Holocaust never happened.

Holy false analogy, Batman! 

Hint: there is extensive evidence for the Holocaust while there is no physical evidence for Moses and all extra-biblical references to Moses were written centuries after he supposedly lived and well after the biblical accounts.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
NoDeity wrote:caposkia

NoDeity wrote:

caposkia wrote:
Some say that the Moses story is myth and some still believe that the Holocaust never happened.

Holy false analogy, Batman! 

Hint: there is extensive evidence for the Holocaust while there is no physical evidence for Moses and all extra-biblical references to Moses were written centuries after he supposedly lived and well after the biblical accounts.

Thanks for the tip Sherlock!  If you read through the whole thing you'll notice I referenced to the "evidence" factor.

I also clarified that the point was to emphasize 'eye of the beholder' and not evidence.  The point is, even with the abundant evidence of the Holocaust there are those who still refuse to believe it happened.  This all in reference to credibility of certain God-sightings and not whether each actually happened or not.

Next time read more carefully.  People wonder why this forum has no direction.  Thank you for being a perfect example of coming from left field and missing the whole point. 

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth, I believe Brain was going to futher clarify the questions I still had as far as a focus for an emperical study on God-sightings. 

NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
User is offlineOffline
[snork]  See if you can put

[snork]  See if you can put together ideas for an empirical study on the Tooth Fairy while you're at it.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
NoDeity wrote:[snork]  See

NoDeity wrote:

[snork]  See if you can put together ideas for an empirical study on the Tooth Fairy while you're at it.

Alright, Brian, seems we have someone who wants a Tooth Fairy study as well. 

I'll leave that between you and Brian.  I'm willing to try it if you can come up with a reasonable study for that.  Not really my expertise there. 

just to clarify NoDeity.  don't worry, i got your sarcasm.  Though be careful, Brian seems to think it's possible to do this with God assuming He's real.   I'll hear him out.  i think you should too.  Never know, he may be on to something. 

NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
User is offlineOffline
If the test would be for the

If the test would be for the God of the Bible, there are way too many "outs" available to make the notion viable.  God, as described in the Bible, is somewhat capricious so, in any given instance, the believer can simply claim that God chose not to reveal himself at that time and that would be a perfectly legitimate thing to do, given the available descriptions.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

NoDeity wrote:

Alright, Brian, seems we have someone who wants a Tooth Fairy study as well. 

I'll leave that between you and Brian.  I'm willing to try it if you can come up with a reasonable study for that.  Not really my expertise there. 

just to clarify NoDeity.  don't worry, i got your sarcasm.  Though be careful, Brian seems to think it's possible to do this with God assuming He's real.   I'll hear him out.  i think you should too.  Never know, he may be on to something. 

CAP! THAT IS OUR POINT,

We know you cant come up with a "god" study anymore than you could come up with a "Tooth Fairy" study.

That SHOULD tell you that BOTH are all in someone's head and people make them up.

YOU are the one assuming that a god is real. You might as well assume the Tooth Fairy is real.

We challenge YOU because we know you have no evidence to make a study possible. Just as there is no evidence for a Tooth Fairy. Uttering something, ANYTHING, is not true by proxy of naked assertion. or popular belief, or personal whim.