The New Atheist Crusaders and their quest for the Unholy Grail

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The New Atheist Crusaders and their quest for the Unholy Grail

Hey all.  It's been a while since I've been on. I appologise, I've been busy. 

The title of this forum is the title of a book I just finished reading.  It's a catchy title, so I figured it'd be a good way to grab someone's attention on here.  The book is written by Becky Garrison. 

If her name doesn't sound familiar, that's fine, it shouldn't.  So why am I wasting your time telling you about this book?  Well, I'm glad you asked.  This is a book written by a True Christian.  HUH?  For all of you who have discussed with me in the past, you understand what I'm talking about and for those of you who haven't you can research my blogs.  Caposkia is my name. 

Anyway, It's written from the viewpoint of how a true Christian feels about of course the atheists in the world today, but more importantly for you, how she feels about Christians in the world. 

This is for all of you arguing with me about how Christians have to be black and white.  How you have to follow a religion and there's nothing outside of religion etc.  She touches on all of this.  I truly think you'll enjoy reading this book and I would like to hear from those of you who have read it if anyone.  If not, I"ll wait till someone finishes it.  It's not a very long book.

When I first came onto this site, I wanted to discuss directly with those who were involved in the infamous television debate that RRS was involved in about the existence of God with Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron.  They didn't have time and the other non-believers I came across were too opinionated to involve themselves in a conversation that made any progress.  Instead I got into other debates which for the most part were a lot of fun, but I digress. 

Becky mentions this debate as well in her book at the end.  This is for all of you on here I've talked to who would not believe me or had other personal issues with the fact that my opinion didn't flow with their idea of a Christian.  I will breifly say that I hold her viewpoint when she says that if she was at that debate, she would have "crawled out of that church in shame. "

Simply put, we both agree that both sides put forth deplorable excuses for their side and did not defend their side succesfully.  I know I know, many of you will disagree and say that RRS did disprove the existance of God in that debate, but enough with the opinions, I'm saying the other side did just as good of a job proving God.  This debate is a poor excuse to not follow Christ and this book talks about those types of Christians.

This book should clarify many misunderstandings of how True Christians are and I hope bring light to a new understanding of our following. 

It is written differently than most books, but is an informational peice and uses a lot of researched information.  It does focus on the "New Atheists" and is not a book preaching to the masses.  As said, it is from the point of  view of a True Christian.

enjoy, let me know your thoughts.  I would also request, please be respectful in your responses.  I'm here to have mature discussions with people. 

LJFHutch
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:caposkia

Brian37 wrote:

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Adventfred wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Cap, I am going to keep drilling it into your head.

THIS IS WHAT YOU BELIEVE!

Invisible immaterial non-physical, magical super brain exists. THAT IS WHAT YOU BELIEVE.

That is what Muslims believe TOO, the myths are different and the names are different but the MOTIF is the same. You worship a fictional super hero.

You believe this super brain with no body, no neurons, no cerebellum, floats out there in the cosmos everywhere and nowhere at the same time. THAT IS WHAT YOU BELIEVE!

You might as well believe that George Washington can fart a Lamborghini out of his ass.

A naked assertion is a naked assertion, and all you have is a naked assertion.

If others want to dwell on your Dungeons and Dragons details, they can, but Dungeon's and Dragons is no different than Harry Potter.

Sounds about right to me LMAO at creationist ie: a mind without a brain

Sounds like a Billy Idol song,

You're a mind without a brain

You make your fans insane

It's a nice day for a FALLACY! START AGAIN!(Ok, I know, mixing songs here)

Do we possibly have new blood wishing to make a statement?  Or is this just further support for unfounded belief systems.

Who's beliefs are unfounded?

Atoms are proven to exist.

Quarks are proven to exist.

Evolution is fact.

Allah is a naked assertion.

Jesus is a naked assertion.

Thor is a naked assertion.

Lets check the score.

Reality ....................1,000,000,000,000

Fantasy....................0

Cap, you have no more evidence for your god claim than any other human in history, past or present. You are in the same boat. Brains with no brain are FANTASY, by any name, your claim or any other. You merely like what you claim because you want a super hero to save you. No different than any other fan of fantasy in human history. Getting stuck on the details misses the point that super heros are a product of human imagination.

Very good point, despite being inflammatory to a believer (and so they'd be less willing to read into what you said), I think you pretty much nailed it there. It all goes back to the whole burden of truth thing, science has evidence and proven facts, religion has faith. I could have faith that the sky was purple but it wouldn't change the fact that it's blue. I could have faith that there is a planet ruled by giant squid who worship Zeus but it doesn't change the fact that that is highly unlikely (though infinitely more likely than the existence of god funnily enough).

As to:

"Reality ....................1,000,000,000,000

Fantasy....................0"

I think that it's more like:

Reality .............. 1,000,000,000

Fantasy ............ 6,000,000,000

Too many people still believe in fairy tales, they just think those fairy tales are somehow different from dragons or the "mythology", I love that, call the Norse religion "mythology" and yet Jesus or Mohammad isn't? Come on, they both fit the bill.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
LJFHutch wrote:Brian37

LJFHutch wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Adventfred wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Cap, I am going to keep drilling it into your head.

THIS IS WHAT YOU BELIEVE!

Invisible immaterial non-physical, magical super brain exists. THAT IS WHAT YOU BELIEVE.

That is what Muslims believe TOO, the myths are different and the names are different but the MOTIF is the same. You worship a fictional super hero.

You believe this super brain with no body, no neurons, no cerebellum, floats out there in the cosmos everywhere and nowhere at the same time. THAT IS WHAT YOU BELIEVE!

You might as well believe that George Washington can fart a Lamborghini out of his ass.

A naked assertion is a naked assertion, and all you have is a naked assertion.

If others want to dwell on your Dungeons and Dragons details, they can, but Dungeon's and Dragons is no different than Harry Potter.

Sounds about right to me LMAO at creationist ie: a mind without a brain

Sounds like a Billy Idol song,

You make your fans insane

It's a nice day for a FALLACY! START AGAIN!(Ok, I know, mixing songs here)

Do we possibly have new blood wishing to make a statement?  Or is this just further support for unfounded belief systems.

Evolution is fact.

Lets check the score.

Cap, you have no more evidence for your god claim than any other human in history, past or present. You are in the same boat. Brains with no brain are FANTASY, by any name, your claim or any other. You merely like what you claim because you want a super hero to save you. No different than any other fan of fantasy in human history. Getting stuck on the details misses the point that super heros are a product of human imagination.

Very good point, despite being inflammatory to a believer (and so they'd be less willing to read into what you said), I think you pretty much nailed it there. It all goes back to the whole burden of truth thing, science has evidence and proven facts, religion has faith. I could have faith that the sky was purple but it wouldn't change the fact that it's blue. I could have faith that there is a planet ruled by giant squid who worship Zeus but it doesn't change the fact that that is highly unlikely (though infinitely more likely than the existence of god funnily enough).

As to:

Too many people still believe in fairy tales, they just think those fairy tales are somehow different from dragons or the "mythology", I love that, call the Norse religion "mythology" and yet Jesus or Mohammad isn't? Come on, they both fit the bill.

So, the majority of the world's population used to believe that the earth was flat. Admitting that most people have a deity belief of some sort, doesn't mean we cant or wont get over these superstitions. We wont, as a species, get over them if we never question them.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

LJFHutch
User is offlineOffline
Quite true, despite the fact

Quite true, despite the fact that religion is still at the "epidemic" level, I think we could [and most definitely should try to] get over it. Questioning your religion would be difficult though, I find questioning myself is difficult and I'm well aware that my opinions on a number of issues change quite often, questioning god would be more difficult for them (especially publicly or even with friends or family) and probably less likely than questioning whether Hitler was right or not.

I'm happy in the knowledge that my "beliefs" (lack of) were attained through my own powers of reasoning and not the majority vote (or my own beliefs for that matter), since, as you mentioned, the majority is certainly not always correct (and I'd go as far as to say that on many if not most issues the majority is probably wrong and founded on ignorance). This same process has helped me destroy my childhood superstitions and other unfounded beliefs that I may have continued to hold were it not for me questioning them.

That is the problem though, for a theist, questioning why they believe in god is about as comfortable and likely as them standing in front of a million people and questioning their beliefs on whether Hitler was right or not, even though they're not being an atheist just for questioning god and they're not being a Nazi for questioning Hitler.

We should question absolutely everything, especially the things that are uncomfortable to question, since these are either highly likely of being wrong or are simply culturally taboo, in any event, as I said, there is nothing wrong with questioning these things, if they really are true and correct you should have no problem with affirming your standing on the issue. When your mind skirts around things you know there's something wrong, burying the doubt won't make it go away completely, and if you do manage to push it from your mind, what have you achieved? What if you are a Nazi, should you then not question Hitler? If you didn't you may live your entire life as a Nazi and do terrible things to people. You never know the truth unless you seek it out, belief is not truth, Brian, I think your flat Earth example is pretty good here, if people weren't brave enough to question that, we'd still believe it, if people weren't brave enough to question Hitler just imagine what would have happened.

It's uncomfortable to question such highly regarded beliefs as a god and powerful religion. Just as Hitler is seen as bad, being an atheist is seen as bad from the perspective of a theist. Hopefully logic and intelligent debate can put people on the path of questioning their beliefs and get everyone closer to the truth.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Cap, a couple

jcgadfly wrote:

Cap, a couple of things came to my mind after reading your post to me and I don't like either.

The first is that it seems like you're giving God a nice little escape route. For example, if someone came to you and said "It's impossible for 5 loaves and 2 fish to feed thousands of people and leave multiple baskets of leftovers and here's why (giving a list of reasons)", you could say "Your explanation of why it couldn't happen doesn't mean it couldn't happen. You just don't understand God fully"

Unfortunately it also brought up a picture of a battered spouse looking up at me with a black eye and a bruised face, saying through bloodied lips and knocked out teeth, "He's not always like this. You just don't understand him like I do".

I see what you're getting at.  I understand you don't like it.  To comprehend why in many cases, you would need to know God. 

The big thing here I think is, Christians in general are assumed to have all the answers.  When they don't non-believers use that as their excuse to say that their God can't be real.

Your example about the battered wife is quite irrelevent.  Here's why. 

Her statement is correct.  I'm sure he's not beating her ever second of the day. (he needs to rest sometimes and there may be days where he doesn't touch her.  Most abuse cases aren't daily occurrances but happen only a few times a month)  I'm sure you don't know him like she does (She's married to him, most people know their spouses in a way no one else knows them.)  Regardless of those 2 points she made.  He still hurt her.  he still deserves a punishment.   So this brings no progression to your claim about what I could say.   

As far as the statement you theoretically quoted... (not sure if it's word for word), I"ll pull it apart.

1.  You could give me 1000 reasons for any number of things.  It doesn't mean you're right.  It just means you did some homework on it.  Think about the ignorance of people in the past.  I'm sure some of the most intelligent people who thought the Earth was flat could give you an endless list of reasons why it had to be flat.  In the end, we know today they're wrong.  It doesnt' matter what list of reasons they had at that time or how long it was, we know the truth now about that. 

2.  Taking into consideration for a moment that God is real, of course you don't understand Him like I do.  I have a relationship with him and from what I"m understanding of you at this point, you don't.  I can tell you that once you know God, it's actually quite hard to question whether something could possibly happening because of the ultimate power that God is. 

With that said, sure, it sounds like an escape rout for God.  What might I ask is God trying to escape from... or me for that matter?

1. Is it having to explain something that's hard to explain?  You and I both know I don't shy away from that challenge.. In fact I embrace it.

2.  Is it having to admit that I dont' know something?  Well, most likely not because I've admitted that in the past and I'll be the first to admit I don't know everything.  Of course I cannot explain how God fed 5000 with the little bit of food represented.  It makes sense to me that if he can create everything I know to be tangeable, then it doesnt' seem like such a difficult task for God to multiply a small amount of food to feed the masses.   

To void any issues like this in the future, let's just say that whether I say that God can do it or can't do it and whether you say it's possible or not, it doesn't make a difference because it's all based on opinion and personal understanding.  We need to keep focus on the bigger picture that there is one truth.  Either God is or God isn't.  I dont' believe debating whether 5000 were fed with a few fish and a loaf of bread is going to make progress on that ultimate goal. 

In conclusion, you can call it an escape route if you'd like, but unfortunately there's really nothing to be running from.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Who's beliefs are

Evolution is fact.

Lets check the score.

Old hat my friend.  It's easy to say that when you only make an assumption from what you think you know.  There are a lot of inteligent minds out there that would disagree with your statement and have many means to back themselves up.  You obviously have either forgotten or have not followed many things I have presented on this site.  If you have, instead of making a "naked assertion" to prove your reality, you'd be challenging what I have presented for support in what I believe.

Maybe I should propose to you the same challenge some absent minded non-believers are expecting of me without thinking logically.  If you can't present to me what I'm asking... then your proven fact must not be real.

Gravity is a proven fact.  Can you please show me a graviton?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I will get back to you in

I will get back to you in more detail on whether God is or isn't after I finish Schroeder and Stenger. At present, I have the poor design of the human body that stands against God existing (if he did exist, he wouldn't want to claim that design with pride).

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
LJFHutch wrote:Very good

LJFHutch wrote:

As to:

Science has a lot to do with faith.  How much of it have you discovered on your own? 

Also, science has a boundary.  It is physical.  You can only test the tangeable.  Even gravity for example can only be tested by using tangeable objects, otherwise, you have no measurement for gravity what-so-ever, thus no proof of its existance.  God affects the tangeable.  I could tell you many things, the problem is, there's a little issue of personal experience that gets in the way.  I'm guessing unless you can experience it yourself, all of it will be a delusion to you or never to have happened.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:So, the

Brian37 wrote:

So, the majority of the world's population used to believe that the earth was flat. Admitting that most people have a deity belief of some sort, doesn't mean we cant or wont get over these superstitions. We wont, as a species, get over them if we never question them.

it doesnt' matter how many times I say I have questioned it.  It seems that because your reality doesn't have a God, there's still no way I have.  Interesting how one has to manipulate the truth to fit their ideals.  And atheists blame religious people for doing that...

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:Brian37

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

it doesnt' matter how many times I say I have questioned it.  It seems that because your reality doesn't have a God, there's still no way I have.  Interesting how one has to manipulate the truth to fit their ideals.  And atheists blame religious people for doing that...

I think it's because of the claim that some theists make of knowing God personally and having a friendship type relationship with him that they are unable to articulate.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
LJFHutch wrote:Quite true,

LJFHutch wrote:

Quite true, despite the fact that religion is still at the "epidemic" level, I think we could [and most definitely should try to] get over it. Questioning your religion would be difficult though, I find questioning myself is difficult and I'm well aware that my opinions on a number of issues change quite often, questioning god would be more difficult for them (especially publicly or even with friends or family) and probably less likely than questioning whether Hitler was right or not.

Any Christian follower who has read the book of Job should understand that questioning God is a valid suggestion.  Doesn't mean you'll always get an answer, but I always like to challenge my own understanding.  Came here to do just that... been quite disappointed.

LJFHutch wrote:

I'm happy in the knowledge that my "beliefs" (lack of) were attained through my own powers of reasoning and not the majority vote (or my own beliefs for that matter), since, as you mentioned, the majority is certainly not always correct (and I'd go as far as to say that on many if not most issues the majority is probably wrong and founded on ignorance). This same process has helped me destroy my childhood superstitions and other unfounded beliefs that I may have continued to hold were it not for me questioning them.

I agree with you there.  It was breaking away from the majoirty vote that ultimately led me by my own understanding to God. 

LJFHutch wrote:

That is the problem though, for a theist, questioning why they believe in god is about as comfortable and likely as them standing in front of a million people and questioning their beliefs on whether Hitler was right or not, even though they're not being an atheist just for questioning god and they're not being a Nazi for questioning Hitler.

I hope you're not talking about me.  If so, you need to read a few pages back.

LJFHutch wrote:

We should question absolutely everything, especially the things that are uncomfortable to question, since these are either highly likely of being wrong or are simply culturally taboo, in any event, as I said, there is nothing wrong with questioning these things, if they really are true and correct you should have no problem with affirming your standing on the issue. When your mind skirts around things you know there's something wrong, burying the doubt won't make it go away completely, and if you do manage to push it from your mind, what have you achieved? What if you are a Nazi, should you then not question Hitler? If you didn't you may live your entire life as a Nazi and do terrible things to people. You never know the truth unless you seek it out, belief is not truth, Brian, I think your flat Earth example is pretty good here, if people weren't brave enough to question that, we'd still believe it, if people weren't brave enough to question Hitler just imagine what would have happened.

It's uncomfortable to question such highly regarded beliefs as a god and powerful religion. Just as Hitler is seen as bad, being an atheist is seen as bad from the perspective of a theist. Hopefully logic and intelligent debate can put people on the path of questioning their beliefs and get everyone closer to the truth.

I couldn't have said it better myself.  The problem is, Brian is good at coming up with examples for dispensationalist religion, but fails miserably when it comes to telling me what evidence he will accept... brhem... i mean LOGICAL EVIDENCE!!!  about God.   Regardless of how many times I ask him, he keeps asking me for physical evidence of a metaphysical being. e.g. God DNA and Godsperm.  Believer or not, is that really logical thinking? 

The ones who have actually taken a moment to think logically about what evidence they would accept have a hard time coming up with something.  Our minds are so set in the physical that to even consider anything outside the physical is incomprehensible.  Yet, that is what is required of you to do in order to even begin accepting evidences of a God such as the Christian God. 

Many have tried to talk sciences with me.  Regardless of how much science they present that they think disproves God, none of it really does.  Many finally resort to it being my responsibility to prove to them my belief, yet that comes back to what they'll accept for evidence. 

If you actually want to get into a logical thinking discussion, please enlighten me to what you would accept... and... make it a logical request.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:I will get

jcgadfly wrote:

I will get back to you in more detail on whether God is or isn't after I finish Schroeder and Stenger. At present, I have the poor design of the human body that stands against God existing (if he did exist, he wouldn't want to claim that design with pride).

I think you'll find an interesting answer to that with Schroeder if it's the book I recently recommended. 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:I think it's

jcgadfly wrote:

I think it's because of the claim that some theists make of knowing God personally and having a friendship type relationship with him that they are unable to articulate.

quite possible, but the generalization of his statement seems to ignore the points I have already made.  In other words, he can no longer use that for an excuse to say that God doesn't exist and yet he still seems to be doing so.  It's the only reason I commented.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:jcgadfly

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

I think you'll find an interesting answer to that with Schroeder if it's the book I recently recommended. 

I've got "The Science of God". Don't want to buy "God According to God" in hardcover.

— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

You haven't questioned it. You have looked for ways to justify what you believe. No different than any other deity believer of any other religion, past or present.

Questioning it would mean setting up a system of controlled tests that are repeatable, testable and verifiable and INDEPENDENT of your own bias or wishes.

Quote:
Interesting how one has to manipulate the truth to fit their ideals.

I am not the one claiming that invisible super brains with no brain, no body, no material float out in the cosmos everywhere and nowhere at the same time meddling in the affairs of humans. Only a person with a vivid imagination can fool themselves into believing such an absurdity. BECAUSE THEY REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT TO BELIEVE IT.

The only one manipulating anything is YOU .It is your own wild imagination that some magical super hero will save you. Super heros are the product of human imagination, and your god is nothing but your own wishful thinking.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:LJFHutch

caposkia wrote:

LJFHutch wrote:

As to:

Science has a lot to do with faith.  How much of it have you discovered on your own? 

Also, science has a boundary.  It is physical.  You can only test the tangeable.  Even gravity for example can only be tested by using tangeable objects, otherwise, you have no measurement for gravity what-so-ever, thus no proof of its existance.  God affects the tangeable.  I could tell you many things, the problem is, there's a little issue of personal experience that gets in the way.  I'm guessing unless you can experience it yourself, all of it will be a delusion to you or never to have happened.

In Science we never just take someone's word for something. They have to some sound argument, some evidence, something they can point to, and  can point to other scientists who have replicated the studies.

An initial announcement of some new result or theory is not simply accepted uncritically. If it comes from someone with a good record of verified previous results, we will give it more credence, but never really total acceptance until the evidence is pretty overwhelming, or when the amount of reportage of actual demonstrations becomes more difficult to discount than to accept. 

In principle, there is never absolute acceptance, although when it comes to things like the theory of semiconductors, say, we are surrounded in private and public life by working examples, so any doubt would be what Dan Dennett would call Vanishing.

The only boundary on Science is the requirement for at least some indication that there is something to investigate. Cognitive Science, and such associated disciplines as Psychology and Linguistics all study things which are not obviously 'physical' in the simple sense. We study human behaviour and human thought, so what do you actually mean by 'physical'?

Gravity is tangible, every time you pick something up. What about the study of distant stars? What is tangible about them? Or conditions at the center of the Earth? Or particle physics?

How do people who have never left their home town verify the existence of foreign countries?? They would be in somewhat the same position as a non-scientist when confronted with some announcement of a new discovery. 

The element of conditional acceptance and trust applies to many things, but 'faith' in the religious sense is rarely applicable.

Religious ideas based purely on some sort of shared experience only demonstrate that people do have such experiences, not that the content of those experiences is 'true', in the sense of really pointing to some truth about the wider reality outside the context of the mind.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:I've got "The

jcgadfly wrote:

I've got "The Science of God". Don't want to buy "God According to God" in hardcover.

understood.  I haven't actually read that one from him yet.  I more recently came across his name, so GATG is the first book of his I've read.  Intreguing approaches.  I'm curious on his approaches with that book too however. 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:You haven't

Brian37 wrote:

You haven't questioned it. You have looked for ways to justify what you believe. No different than any other deity believer of any other religion, past or present.

just like anyone justifies anything they believe... with evidences they've found that brought them to that conclusion.  You have done the same, though your evidences seem to be a little less thought out than others. 

What is different about me is I've challenged you to show me reasons not to believe and welcome any challenges you want to bring my way.  I have attempted to present evidences to you, but until you can logically tell me what you would accept, there's no way we can progress.  

Brian37 wrote:

Questioning it would mean setting up a system of controlled tests that are repeatable, testable and verifiable and INDEPENDENT of your own bias or wishes.

precisely.  I've offered such an approach as well... though.. you're not receptive to the approach yourself are you.  You still need a DNA sample or sprem of a metaphysical creature.  Tell ya what.  If you can figure out for me how I can send you a metaphysical peice of DNA, I'll get it in the mail the next day.

Brian37 wrote:

I am not the one claiming that invisible super brains with no brain, no body, no material float out in the cosmos everywhere and nowhere at the same time meddling in the affairs of humans. Only a person with a vivid imagination can fool themselves into believing such an absurdity. BECAUSE THEY REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT TO BELIEVE IT.

and yet I really didn't.  I was set on accepting that there was no God...  yea.. but you've heard that already... it's devistaing to your case and therefore you will still pretend it was never said.

Brian37 wrote:

The only one manipulating anything is YOU .It is your own wild imagination that some magical super hero will save you. Super heros are the product of human imagination, and your god is nothing but your own wishful thinking.

mmm... yep.. still believe.  Sorry, redundancy and floaty things still don't convince me. I do like shiny objects though Eye-wink

What am I manipulating by the way?  Details please, this could make progress to our conversation... maybe. 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:In Science

BobSpence1 wrote:

In Science we never just take someone's word for something. They have to some sound argument, some evidence, something they can point to, and  can point to other scientists who have replicated the studies.

well, I can point to scientists who have replicated studies that point to God.  I've already recommended a book by one.

I know of many sound arguements for God... but then again as I've seen that's a matter of opinion.  If sound arguement was what people were basing their beliefs on, i'd be guessing that many people just reading through some of the forums on this site would automatically become believers. 

Something they can point to.  Are you suggesting something physical?  Of course I could try to point to God, but pointing to something metaphysical... me being a physical creature myself would be seemingly difficult at best.  What would you suggest I'd need to "point to" in order for you to consider the possibility of a metaphysical being?  Consider the words used in the question and come up with a logical answer.

I'd also suggest reading God according to God.  Jcadfly found that it's only in hardcover, so if you don't want to buy it.  Take 15 minutes and skim some of it in the book store.  It's if anything an interesting take.  I would assume that some libraries should have access to it somewhere if not yet then soon. 

BobSpence1 wrote:

An initial announcement of some new result or theory is not simply accepted uncritically. If it comes from someone with a good record of verified previous results, we will give it more credence, but never really total acceptance until the evidence is pretty overwhelming, or when the amount of reportage of actual demonstrations becomes more difficult to discount than to accept. 

many have admitted it's quite impossible to discount the possibility of God.  Few still try.  Most will say you can't prove a negative assuming again that God isn't real, but then again if that's the case of course you can't disprove it either.  Unfortunately that kind of discredits the "difficult to discount" aspect of your requirement. 

There are many bigger names out there that are very credible that point to intelligence behind the design.  Yet you still seem to not accept it.  Are you sure that's an acceptable means for you? 

Criticism is one thing, ignorance because you don't want to accept it is another.  Yes, I'm going on an assumption here, but you seem to be one that doesn't care to make the effort.  You just think you know already and therefore there is no reason to try.  Don't get me wrong, you bring up some good points for your point of view, but when it comes to considering something that goes against it, you seem to close the doors. 

BobSpence1 wrote:

In principle, there is never absolute acceptance, although when it comes to things like the theory of semiconductors, say, we are surrounded in private and public life by working examples, so any doubt would be what Dan Dennett would call Vanishing.

Of course.  Believers will admit to doubting all the time.  There's a reason why they still believe however.  Not just because someone told them to believe or from a group experience either though unfortunately that is a truth for some.

BobSpence1 wrote:

The only boundary on Science is the requirement for at least some indication that there is something to investigate. Cognitive Science, and such associated disciplines as Psychology and Linguistics all study things which are not obviously 'physical' in the simple sense. We study human behaviour and human thought, so what do you actually mean by 'physical'?

tangeable.  Think about what you said.  We study human behaviour. (studying the physical responses of a human in certain situations)  We study human thought (either by using physical means to view their brain activity or by checking their responses by physical stimulation such as questions or pictures)  All reliant on the physical.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Gravity is tangible, every time you pick something up. What about the study of distant stars? What is tangible about them? Or conditions at the center of the Earth? Or particle physics?

Sure you feel the effects of gravity on an object when you pick it up.  But you are dependent on that object to study gravity.  It cannot be studied alone. 

Tangible by definition is "having physical existence"  not necesarily just being able to be reached to touch or touchable for that matter.  e.g. the sun is physical.  It is made up of gasses.  Therefore it is tangible. 

BobSpence1 wrote:

How do people who have never left their home town verify the existence of foreign countries?? They would be in somewhat the same position as a non-scientist when confronted with some announcement of a new discovery. 

Right.  Some of them would refuse to believe it because they don't want it to be true.  Just because they don't see reason to believe in it doesn't mean it's not there, right?

Of course the evidences given to them would probably be of physical means again... e.g.  A map of the locale, pictures of key points in the area.  A place to point at on a globe. 

BobSpence1 wrote:

The element of conditional acceptance and trust applies to many things, but 'faith' in the religious sense is rarely applicable.

Faith is simply confidence or trust in a person or thing.  Unless you're claiming to do all the studies yourself... after you are satisfied with the amount of information brought your way, you are putting faith in that understanding because in your mind, you have seen enough to accept it.   Therefore, it's quite applicable. 

Though i see, faith in the religious sense.  In other words, the "belief that's not baised on proof".  There has to be some evidences that lead people to believe or I guarantee you that most true Jesus followers would not be. 

BobSpence1 wrote:

Religious ideas based purely on some sort of shared experience only demonstrate that people do have such experiences, not that the content of those experiences is 'true', in the sense of really pointing to some truth about the wider reality outside the context of the mind.

If I may ask, what do you base that statement on?

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:BobSpence1

caposkia wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

well, I can point to scientists who have replicated studies that point to God.  I've already recommended a book by one.

There are none that I am aware of that stand up to serious investigation. Even if their arguments have some validity, they do no more than, in your own words,  "point to God", which pretty much means that they can interpreted to be consistent with the existence of a God, given certain presuppositions. IOW, a long way from establishing the strong likelihood of God. 

I hope they would not be believers already, because that would guarantee they already had a strong pre-disposition to interpret things that way.

Quote:

I know of many sound arguements for God... but then again as I've seen that's a matter of opinion.  If sound arguement was what people were basing their beliefs on, i'd be guessing that many people just reading through some of the forums on this site would automatically become believers. 

I have not heard any, and I have heard all the standard ones. Unless you simply mean the arguments are logically valid, but that still assumes the premises of the arguments are all well-established, and this is often the problem. The arguments typically make one or more assumptions which they don't realize are very questionable.

If you could point to an argument you think is particularly good, I would be interested to address it.

Quote:

Something they can point to.  Are you suggesting something physical?  Of course I could try to point to God, but pointing to something metaphysical... me being a physical creature myself would be seemingly difficult at best.  What would you suggest I'd need to "point to" in order for you to consider the possibility of a metaphysical being?  Consider the words used in the question and come up with a logical answer.

I'd also suggest reading God according to God.  Jcadfly found that it's only in hardcover, so if you don't want to buy it.  Take 15 minutes and skim some of it in the book store.  It's if anything an interesting take.  I would assume that some libraries should have access to it somewhere if not yet then soon. 

I am NOT suggesting something 'physical', whatever you mean by that. Just any information that cannot be deduced or guessed at from the knowledge or experience of the person experiencing some revelatory or similar experience, and that other people can confirm. NOTE: it has to be something not a common part of the culture, or a common aspect of human psychology. 

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

many have admitted it's quite impossible to discount the possibility of God.  Few still try.  Most will say you can't prove a negative assuming again that God isn't real, but then again if that's the case of course you can't disprove it either.  Unfortunately that kind of discredits the "difficult to discount" aspect of your requirement. 

No, you miss the point again. It is not about proof or disproof, either way. It is about the balance of the evidence, so that one side is more "difficult to discount" than the other.

So far what we we have is a steady accumulation of evidence that there is no logical necessity for a 'God' to explain anything, and nothing that unambiguously points to God. So assuming God is just a personal decision. 

To mention the most famous one, before Darwin, the variety and complexity of life on Earth was regarded as strong evidence for God. He demonstrated that that God was not necessary. He didn't disprove God, just took the strength out of on e the assumed 'proofs' of God.

The way God is 'defined', it can always be imagined to have attributes or intentions felt necessary to make it consistent with any actual evidence. So of course something like that is not disprovable, but it also means that we are deducing the nature of God to be consistent with our experience. This means we cannot be sure exactly what are the intentions or motives of such a thing, since we are relying on our own reasoning to deduce them. We end up interpreting events in the real world thru the lens of a set of unprovable assumptions, which runs the rather severe risk of making bad decisions.

Quote:

There are many bigger names out there that are very credible that point to intelligence behind the design.  Yet you still seem to not accept it.  Are you sure that's an acceptable means for you? 

There are at least as many, if not more, very well-qualified people pointing very much in the opposite direction, so that is not a good argument for YOU to pursue. 

That is why I concentrate on the arguments rather than the personalities. 

Unfortunately, while that works for me, with a lifetime of experience in the technical knowledge required to follow the scientific arguments, it is difficult to get it across to someone without that background. So I understand that you are faced with competing 'arguments from authority.

Quote:

Criticism is one thing, ignorance because you don't want to accept it is another.  Yes, I'm going on an assumption here, but you seem to be one that doesn't care to make the effort.  You just think you know already and therefore there is no reason to try.  Don't get me wrong, you bring up some good points for your point of view, but when it comes to considering something that goes against it, you seem to close the doors. 

You are making giant assumptions. You don't know what effort I have  made to establish the truth about such things.

And to me, it is you who do not so much 'close the doors', just ignore the fact that they are open, and just don't see that there are very real and well-supported alternatives to your position.

It is up to you to justify your position about God, with something more than just your internal experience and convictions, since my world-view encompasses an awful lot of aspects of the world, and the God concept simply doesn't fit, so you need to establish what makes it necesarily something which needs to be incorporated in my world-view - what does it actually explain which is not much better covered by the 'naturalistic', scientific, world-view. And don't go on about 'physical' or 'material' limitations. They do not apply - only non-supernatural.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Of course.  Believers will admit to doubting all the time.  There's a reason why they still believe however.  Not just because someone told them to believe or from a group experience either though unfortunately that is a truth for some.

BobSpence1 wrote:

tangeable.  Think about what you said.  We study human behaviour. (studying the physical responses of a human in certain situations)  We study human thought (either by using physical means to view their brain activity or by checking their responses by physical stimulation such as questions or pictures)  All reliant on the physical.

No. We study also the verbal accounts of their intentions and experiences, what they do and say, and what they tell us about why they do what they do. In other words, all the same things that you would use to judge another person, and their actions. What other means are you suggesting we are leaving out?

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Sure you feel the effects of gravity on an object when you pick it up.  But you are dependent on that object to study gravity.  It cannot be studied alone. 

Tangible by definition is "having physical existence"  not necesarily just being able to be reached to touch or touchable for that matter.  e.g. the sun is physical.  It is made up of gasses.  Therefore it is tangible.

You can perceive the force pulling the object down. That force is not the object.

'Tangible", by direct definition, is "perceptible by touch".

Metaphorically, it is extended to "Anything that can be grasped, either with the hand or with the mind". So even metaphorically, your definition is wrong.

I would be happy to apply that metaphorical definition to define what science can be applied to. Anything which we can form a solid concept around.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Right.  Some of them would refuse to believe it because they don't want it to be true.  Just because they don't see reason to believe in it doesn't mean it's not there, right?

Right, and until there is some evidence that it is there it would be silly to assume it is there.

Quote:

Of course the evidences given to them would probably be of physical means again... e.g.  A map of the locale, pictures of key points in the area.  A place to point at on a globe. 

BobSpence1 wrote:

Faith is simply confidence or trust in a person or thing.  Unless you're claiming to do all the studies yourself... after you are satisfied with the amount of information brought your way, you are putting faith in that understanding because in your mind, you have seen enough to accept it.   Therefore, it's quite applicable. 

Though i see, faith in the religious sense.  In other words, the "belief that's not baised on proof".  There has to be some evidences that lead people to believe or I guarantee you that most true Jesus followers would not be. 

But the idea of faith despite the evidence is explicitly supported by scripture, and definitely what many believers go by.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

If I may ask, what do you base that statement on?

On simple logic, and much reading and observation of the incredible variety of what people individually and collectively can become totally convinced of, most of which turns out to be clearly mistaken, from the Heaven's Gate cult, the Waco incident, any number of end of the world predictions, and so on.

What do you find problematic about it?

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:just like anyone

Quote:

just like anyone justifies anything they believe... with evidences they've found that brought them to that conclusion.  You have done the same, though your evidences seem to be a little less thought out than others. 

What is different about me is I've challenged you to show me reasons not to believe and welcome any challenges you want to bring my way.  I have attempted to present evidences to you, but until you can logically tell me what you would accept, there's no way we can progress.  

No, there is a difference between when scientists use scientific method to justify a claim, and WHAT YOU DO in justifying what you claim. You look for ways to justify what you claim. WHAT YOU DONT DO, is look for ways to replicate and falsify what you claim and get what you claim independently verified outside your own bias.

I did tell you, as have several other people have told you what they would accept. It is not up to us to do your homework for you.

We don't have to justify miosis or DNA. Those are repeatable, testable and falsifiable FACT!

What you have is a naked assertion. "my god exists"

So what?

NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:phooney

caposkia wrote:

phooney wrote:

What makes this person a True Christian rather than everybody else who claims to be a True Christian?

This question I like.  The difference is True Christians aren't going to shove Jesus down your throat.  This book was actually written to Christians, so she's not preaching in the book.  They also aren't going to condem you for anything.  True Christians aren't the ones standing on the street corners with megaphones and protest signs screaming hatred at everyone that walks by.  They're not the ones condeming people to hell because they're Gay/lesbian, have gotten an abortion, etc.

So, True Christians don't follow the example or teachings of Christ as portrayed in the gospels.  Interesting.

Reality is the graveyard of the gods.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:There are

BobSpence1 wrote:

There are none that I am aware of that stand up to serious investigation. Even if their arguments have some validity, they do no more than, in your own words,  "point to God", which pretty much means that they can interpreted to be consistent with the existence of a God, given certain presuppositions. IOW, a long way from establishing the strong likelihood of God. 

I hope they would not be believers already, because that would guarantee they already had a strong pre-disposition to interpret things that way.

There are some that are believers already.  However, there are a few that became believers through their practice.  One (can't remember his name right off) was an avid atheist before concluding through his research that there is a creator. 

Any scientist to even be considered such would need to stand up to serious investigation, otherwise, they're no better than you or I.  That's the reason for pointing out scientists as believers.  They have to endure serious critiques from some very intelligent people. 

BobSpence1 wrote:

I have not heard any, and I have heard all the standard ones. Unless you simply mean the arguments are logically valid, but that still assumes the premises of the arguments are all well-established, and this is often the problem. The arguments typically make one or more assumptions which they don't realize are very questionable.

If you could point to an argument you think is particularly good, I would be interested to address it.

Start with Schroeder.  His book God according to God will have many you can choose from.   There are many I could choose from.  To sufficiently explain one would take quite a few posts I think. 

BTW, I've seen many assumptions by people on this site that they don't realize are very questionable.  Yet it's assumed that my evidence is most questionable... which is questionable in and of itself.

BobSpence1 wrote:

I am NOT suggesting something 'physical', whatever you mean by that. Just any information that cannot be deduced or guessed at from the knowledge or experience of the person experiencing some revelatory or similar experience, and that other people can confirm. NOTE: it has to be something not a common part of the culture, or a common aspect of human psychology. 

hmmm. you make it tough be it that I've heard many assumptions that a belief in God in general is a "common aspect of human psychology."  Therefore any "god" experience could logically be concluded to be a derivitive of that common aspect. 

At the moment I'm confused.  What would an example be of an experience not a part of common culture and not something that could be connected to the "common aspect of human psychology as the belief in god"? 

BobSpence1 wrote:

No, you miss the point again. It is not about proof or disproof, either way. It is about the balance of the evidence, so that one side is more "difficult to discount" than the other.

well then that goes back to the "opinion" of the matter and whether subject A thinks that a certain side is more difficult to discount than the other.  Of course one has to realize due to lack of historical documentation in general and due to the lack of an understanding of the metaphysical, both sides will always have their gaps.  There's a reason why the "god" debate has been going on for centuries.  Simply put, neither side apparently is conclusively "more difficult to discount" than the other at this point because opinion and personal experience still plays a roll in each side. 

example:  I have presented historical, geological, statistical, scientific information that I feel is quite conclusive for what I believe. 

1.  History back in Biblical times (writings or happenings) wasn't as precise as we have it today, therefore, history isn't exactly accurate to the date and therefore is questionable due to dating discrepencies for credibility.

counter:  Precise dating isn't necessary and wasn't as much of a concern for the writers as what happened.

2. geology has its place and has been concluded to be congruent with the Bible... but then again many other "myths" are geologically accurate as well according to some and therefore doesn't bring further support.  Also questions go back to dating.

counter: goes back to the history and understanding whether what was claimed actually happend whether it did when dates say so or not.

3.  statistics aren't even a concern.  It doesn't matter how slim the odds are for causing this or that or creating this or that, the fact is it still happened and therefore is possible from a non-theological and scientific perspective.

counter:  conclusion: anything's possible

4.  It is concluded by many on this site that because the Bible writers were so ignorant of the science we have today and that they described things in a way that we know isn't congruent with the science we know today that God can't be real.   It also goes back into the historical information and the lack thereof during those times.  Sure, that makes sense in science for God to have done that, but that doesn't mean that it was God that did it. 

counter:  of course people of historical times aren't going to have our capacity of scientific understanding.  The Bible was written by people inspired by God.  They will write only what they know and how they understand it. 

Thus perspective, opinion and personal experience play a roll and will make the "more difficult to discount" aspect vertually impossible. 

BobSpence1 wrote:

So far what we we have is a steady accumulation of evidence that there is no logical necessity for a 'God' to explain anything, and nothing that unambiguously points to God. So assuming God is just a personal decision. 

Why would God be needed to explain anything... Just because it's explainable doesn't give anyone sufficient evidence to conclude that there is no God.  God in my mind would use means that might be "explainable" to make something happen... why wouldn't He? 

One big mistake people make in the theological debate is to assume that God is there to explain what we don't know therefore bringing closure to our finite understanding.  Becoming a Christ follower you actually learn that there's more you don't understand than you orignally thought.  You also learn that God isn't concerned with you understanding generally speaking.

BobSpence1 wrote:

To mention the most famous one, before Darwin, the variety and complexity of life on Earth was regarded as strong evidence for God. He demonstrated that that God was not necessary. He didn't disprove God, just took the strength out of on e the assumed 'proofs' of God.

Of course God isnt' necessary to conclude on anything.  It's not Christ followers believe. 

BobSpence1 wrote:

The way God is 'defined', it can always be imagined to have attributes or intentions felt necessary to make it consistent with any actual evidence. So of course something like that is not disprovable, but it also means that we are deducing the nature of God to be consistent with our experience. This means we cannot be sure exactly what are the intentions or motives of such a thing, since we are relying on our own reasoning to deduce them. We end up interpreting events in the real world thru the lens of a set of unprovable assumptions, which runs the rather severe risk of making bad decisions.

happens all the time.  There's a reason why there millions of sects of belief in the world.  The trick is to humble yourself and realize that you don't have all the answers.  Problem.  People always have to have an answer and thus will make one whether right or wrong.

BobSpence1 wrote:

There are at least as many, if not more, very well-qualified people pointing very much in the opposite direction, so that is not a good argument for YOU to pursue. 

That is why I concentrate on the arguments rather than the personalities. 

Unfortunately, while that works for me, with a lifetime of experience in the technical knowledge required to follow the scientific arguments, it is difficult to get it across to someone without that background. So I understand that you are faced with competing 'arguments from authority.

I'm actually looking for more well-qualified people pointing to the opposite direction.  Do you have any names I can research?

BobSpence1 wrote:

You are making giant assumptions. You don't know what effort I have  made to establish the truth about such things.

And to me, it is you who do not so much 'close the doors', just ignore the fact that they are open, and just don't see that there are very real and well-supported alternatives to your position.

I've been looking into all information that has been brought my way.  I see how well supported the alternatives are and have brought well-supported counters to the table.  Is there something I've missed? 

Trust me.  I admitted to making an assumption about you.  You're right. i don't know how much effort you have put towards it, but I was hoping to find out.  So far I haven't seen much as far as well-supported evidence from you.  I'm willing to discuss anything you have.  Likewise you have made an assumption about me just like others who want to think I won't or haven't listened to them.  I have not ignored the fact that any doors are open.  I just want to bring out more concretes and less opinions. 

BobSpence1 wrote:

It is up to you to justify your position about God, with something more than just your internal experience and convictions, since my world-view encompasses an awful lot of aspects of the world, and the God concept simply doesn't fit, so you need to establish what makes it necesarily something which needs to be incorporated in my world-view - what does it actually explain which is not much better covered by the 'naturalistic', scientific, world-view. And don't go on about 'physical' or 'material' limitations. They do not apply - only non-supernatural.

The issue with going forward with your position is that you've concluded the only reason to implement God into your view is to explain something that isn't explainable.  I am content with not knowing, yet I believe.  In believing I found that there's even more I don't know.  To satisfy your conclusion that God is there to further explain an unexplainable I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed.  Belief in God will only bring to light how much more you don't understand and not the other way around. 

Not to be confused with ignorance or lack of understanding.  to accept the belief in God is to accept the fact that there is so much more beyond what we understand right now. 

I need to establish what makes it necessary.... well let me ask you this.  If there is a God who created all that we know including yourself and he has a certain plan for you and a plan for his creation, would it be necessary to learn of this God?

BobSpence1 wrote:

No. We study also the verbal accounts of their intentions and experiences, what they do and say, and what they tell us about why they do what they do. In other words, all the same things that you would use to judge another person, and their actions. What other means are you suggesting we are leaving out?

You also study.... in congruency with their physical actions.  intentions mean nothing if nothing happened.  A state of mind is a personality.  However, what you do with that state of mind conforms the personality and supports your judgement of that person.  

e.g. I may have a state of mind that I want to kill someone.  Granted that's a pretty extreme state of mind and you could conclude a number of things from that statement, but I'm willing to be your judgement of me would be different depending on what I do with that state of mind. 

BobSpence1 wrote:

You can perceive the force pulling the object down. That force is not the object.

'Tangible", by direct definition, is "perceptible by touch".

See definition #1.  capable of being touched.  Whether we are able to touch it or not is a different story. 

your perception of the force is dependent on the object.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Metaphorically, it is extended to "Anything that can be grasped, either with the hand or with the mind". So even metaphorically, your definition is wrong.

I would be happy to apply that metaphorical definition to define what science can be applied to. Anything which we can form a solid concept around.

I wasn't speaking metaphorically though was I?

BobSpence1 wrote:

But the idea of faith despite the evidence is explicitly supported by scripture, and definitely what many believers go by.

But not solely.  A Christ follower will do their homework to better understand what they know to be supported in scripture. 

BobSpence1 wrote:

On simple logic, and much reading and observation of the incredible variety of what people individually and collectively can become totally convinced of, most of which turns out to be clearly mistaken, from the Heaven's Gate cult, the Waco incident, any number of end of the world predictions, and so on.

What do you find problematic about it?

it's just that walking away from the church or group is how I found God, not the other way around.  It took disbeleiving in my religious body that I grew up in in order to find the truth about God... or what i understand to be true.  (i of course understand your disagreement at this point)  There was no other group experience or body of believers that led me to what i follow now. 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:No, there is a

Brian37 wrote:

No, there is a difference between when scientists use scientific method to justify a claim, and WHAT YOU DO in justifying what you claim. You look for ways to justify what you claim. WHAT YOU DONT DO, is look for ways to replicate and falsify what you claim and get what you claim independently verified outside your own bias.

I've done that.  It was walking away from my own bias that helped me conclude what I follow now in the first place as I just said in my previous post.

Brian37 wrote:

I did tell you, as have several other people have told you what they would accept. It is not up to us to do your homework for you.

What, God DNA?  Godsperm?  How about something logical.  It's not your job to do my homework, but it is your job to give me a logical assignment.  Otherwise, you're setting me up and your fired as a professor.

Brian37 wrote:

We don't have to justify miosis or DNA. Those are repeatable, testable and falsifiable FACT!

What you have is a naked assertion. "my god exists"

What you have is an assumption without support.   Read God according to God and we can have an interesting conversation.

So what?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
NoDeity wrote:So, True

NoDeity wrote:

So, True Christians don't follow the example or teachings of Christ as portrayed in the gospels.  Interesting.

Are you assuming I fall into that category?  I admit I'm not perfect, but if you assume that I'm a part of those religions that ignore what the gospels teach, you are mistaken

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:What, God

caposkia wrote:

What, God DNA?  Godsperm?  How about something logical.  It's not your job to do my homework, but it is your job to give me a logical assignment.  Otherwise, you're setting me up and your fired as a professor.

OF COURSE GOD DNA OR GODSPERM ARE NOT LOGICAL! DUH!

Which should tell you something. SHOULD! But unfortunately you are too dense sniffing your god glue to understand my sarcasm.

It SHOULD tell you that claims of immaterial beings are STUPID CLAIMS. Otherwise there would be evidence like DNA or sperm to replicate and falsify and these beings would be scientifically measurable. Otherwise scientists could point out this invisible giant magical cerebellum in the sky.

Since you cant replicate or falsify these things you have NOTHING, NADDA, ZIP, ZILTCH, ZERO!

WHAT WE DO HAVE, in human history are people WANTING these claimed beings to be real and claiming them to be fact.

Wanting something to be real doesn't make something real. Cap, you are merely in deep in your self delusion.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:OF COURSE GOD

Brian37 wrote:

OF COURSE GOD DNA OR GODSPERM ARE NOT LOGICAL! DUH!

Which should tell you something. SHOULD! But unfortunately you are too dense sniffing your god glue to understand my sarcasm.

It SHOULD tell you that claims of immaterial beings are STUPID CLAIMS. Otherwise there would be evidence like DNA or sperm to replicate and falsify and these beings would be scientifically measurable. Otherwise scientists could point out this invisible giant magical cerebellum in the sky.

Since you cant replicate or falsify these things you have NOTHING, NADDA, ZIP, ZILTCH, ZERO!

WHAT WE DO HAVE, in human history are people WANTING these claimed beings to be real and claiming them to be fact.

Wanting something to be real doesn't make something real. Cap, you are merely in deep in your self delusion.

Are you listening to yourself right now?  I've asked you to tell me how I can mail you some meta-physical DNA.  Do you not have a means for me to do so? 

You are quite encouragable!  You're asking me to replicate a physical peice of something meta-physical... You're asking me to replicate a physcial... wait... that doesn't even make sense.  Are you serious right now? 

What exactly should this tell me other than the idea that you are incapable of rational thought.  Not because you can't understand the possibility of God, but because you're aking me to present you something physical from something that's meta-phsyical.  It's like you asking me to send you a clothes iron so you can study a kangaroo.  It just doesn't make any sense.

Oh wait.. I get it.  You asking me to present you with something that everyone knows is illogical whether there's a god or not should help me conclude that belief in God itself is illogical.  It's all so clear now

...a scene from Billy Madison comes to mind at the moment....

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
You are merely defending

You are merely defending your own wishful thinking via WANT of such belief to be real.

What would you have me accept as evidence? We know what atoms are, we know what quarks are and those things ARE what make up the natural world. Postulating a non-material being, especially one with magical powers is absurd. It was absurd when the Egyptians thought the sun was a thinking being. It is absurd when Muslims claim their non-material magical invisible brain in the sky is real. And your non-material magical invisible super brain claim is equally absurd with as much evidence as any other invisible brian claim.

Of course we cant see gravity but we can detect it and test it. We cant see air, but we know what atoms are and we know what elements make up our atmosphere and we can directly detect this air by observing wind and motion weather patterns.

WHEN your invisiable magical brain claim can be replicated and falsified like REAL observable nature, then you will have something.

The rational conclusion to such claims is simple. Humans, including you, merely like their pet claims and dream them up and look for ways to justify magical invisible non-materal super brains. If you can accept that the sun was not ever a thinking being, then it should not be a stretch to see your own claim as nothing more than an idea in your head that you like. We have much more evidence that the sun exists, so does that make RA-The sun god  real? No more than the fact that you have a REAL brain and uttered a claim means that because you have a real brain you can replicate and falsify your naked assertion.

OUT OF THE TWO CHOICES WHICH MAKES MORE SENSE?

1. Invisible non-material brains exist, by any name?

OR

2. People make up stories about what they want to be real and delude themselves into believing their pet ideas to be fact?

Shout it from the rooftops all you want that your pet whim of your individual pet deity is special and real. The reality is that UNTIL you can replicate and falsify such claims, you are in the same boat as everyone past and present who claim non-material magical invisible super brains, by any label.

Simplicity would dictate logic in that it makes much more sense that people make up gods, including you. Knowing what a cerebellum, and neurons are, and what the human brain is, NOW would contradict any claim of invisible non-material versions of such.

You say you have evidence, then chop chop. But don't expect us to do your homework for you.

Your invisible magical super brain claim IS NOT special to me and holds no more weight than if someone claimed that they had an invisible pink unicorn living in the trunk of their car.

NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:NoDeity

caposkia wrote:

NoDeity wrote:

Are you assuming I fall into that category?  I admit I'm not perfect, but if you assume that I'm a part of those religions that ignore what the gospels teach, you are mistaken

My point is that the Jesus portrayed in the gospels is not a non-judgmental peace-and-love hippie Jesus.  The Jesus character in those stories did speak of people being condemned to everlasting torment for such trivial matters as not acknowledging him and he was quite willing to use force to make a point (eg. the temple clearing incident).

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:You are merely

Brian37 wrote:

You are merely defending your own wishful thinking via WANT of such belief to be real.

There are many things I have learned about this way of life that I generally wouldn't want to be real.  So where's your justification for your fabrication of my reasoning?

Brian37 wrote:

What would you have me accept as evidence? We know what atoms are, we know what quarks are and those things ARE what make up the natural world. Postulating a non-material being, especially one with magical powers is absurd. It was absurd when the Egyptians thought the sun was a thinking being. It is absurd when Muslims claim their non-material magical invisible brain in the sky is real. And your non-material magical invisible super brain claim is equally absurd with as much evidence as any other invisible brian claim.

Be it that you're not open to any evidence that isn't based on the physical, you have no logical justification for your conclusion.  It's absurd because that's what you want it to be.  It's easier to think of it that way than to consider something outside your comfort zone. 

Brian37 wrote:

Of course we cant see gravity but we can detect it and test it. We cant see air, but we know what atoms are and we know what elements make up our atmosphere and we can directly detect this air by observing wind and motion weather patterns.

Great, question though on the gravity front.  If gravity wasn't a constant.  If it had a choice to pull objects as much and when it wanted to.  Would it still be testable?  Explain your justification for either yes or no. 

God can be detected... If not, there would be no basis for belief except for stories as you all see.  I completely understand where you all are coming from.  You must understand how hard it is to consider evidences to present when I know your perspective is that my basis for belief is based solely on what some church told me was true.

Brian37 wrote:

WHEN your invisiable magical brain claim can be replicated and falsified like REAL observable nature, then you will have something.

Alright, I can lift 500 pounds.  Maybe I really can, maybe I really can't.  Either way, I choose not to show you.  Sure you can't prove that I can't do it, but how do you prove that I can?  When you can explain that to me, I might have a way to explain to you how to study God.

The issue with your request is that your basing all your study on constants.  your "real observable nature" is constants and patterns.  Why do you think that might not work with studying God?... and if you give me the because he doesn't exist crap, then I have lost all faith in you thinking anything through rationally and logically and I believe we cannot progress. 

Brian37 wrote:

The rational conclusion to such claims is simple. Humans, including you, merely like their pet claims and dream them up and look for ways to justify magical invisible non-materal super brains. If you can accept that the sun was not ever a thinking being, then it should not be a stretch to see your own claim as nothing more than an idea in your head that you like. We have much more evidence that the sun exists, so does that make RA-The sun god  real? No more than the fact that you have a REAL brain and uttered a claim means that because you have a real brain you can replicate and falsify your naked assertion.

You obviously like to ignore why I believe.  My guess is because it destroys your only basis for unbelief.  If you paid attention to what I've been saying about my belief and why I believe, you'd realize how much nonsense what you just said really is and how much it doesn't apply to me or anyone who is a true Christ follower. 

Brian37 wrote:

OUT OF THE TWO CHOICES WHICH MAKES MORE SENSE?

1. Invisible non-material brains exist, by any name?

OR

2. People make up stories about what they want to be real and delude themselves into believing their pet ideas to be fact?

I know what you'd assume my 'knee-jerk' answer would be, but here's my true thoughts on those.

If you're just walking up to me and presenting me those two options without basis or sources and without detailed information behind each claim, I don't believe I could pick either side.   Both sound as real and as make believe as the other.  Sure people make up stories all the time and many will vow to their validity, but not all stories are made up.  Sure, there are made up invisible brains that people have fabricated, then again many scientists see an intelligence behind creation and an intelligence in nature thus questioning your definition behind your "invisible non-material brain" statement. 

Why? are you telling me without basis of understanding you'd pick number 2?  That to me sounds more like a cult-like state of mind than not.  With that in mind, a question to you.  Who here is truly more 'religious', you or I?

Brian37 wrote:

Shout it from the rooftops all you want that your pet whim of your individual pet deity is special and real. The reality is that UNTIL you can replicate and falsify such claims, you are in the same boat as everyone past and present who claim non-material magical invisible super brains, by any label.

I've asked you how you propose I 'replicate' meta-physical.  I have yet to get an answer from you.  Yes I know.... but let's just assume for a moment that you might consider the idea that meta-phsyical is a real possibility.  How would you propose replicating it?  If you're so sure it would be that easy if it existed, then you must have an answer to that.

Brian37 wrote:

Simplicity would dictate logic in that it makes much more sense that people make up gods, including you. Knowing what a cerebellum, and neurons are, and what the human brain is, NOW would contradict any claim of invisible non-material versions of such.

Not necessarily, I suggest you take 30 minutes in a bookstore to skim God according to God and try to find the part that talks about the brain and soul.  Interesting perspective if you ask me.

Now something that 'makes sense' is really in the eye of the beholder is it not?  What you might think makes sense only does until a better option is brought to your attention.  Then you might think what used to make sense to you is obsurd.  Thus, making sense is forever changing.

Brian37 wrote:

You say you have evidence, then chop chop. But don't expect us to do your homework for you.

oh, give it up.  I've never expected that and I've expressed that many times.  Stop crying about having to think for a moment and help me come up with a logical way of presenting to you the evidence you seek.  I have asked you some logical questions to your proposal.  Once I have some good answers, I'll start working on it, but until I get those answers, it's going to be difficult for me to present to you what you're looking for because I'm not exactly sure how to show you at this point. 

For example, (and I'm not degrading you in any way or claiming I know everything)  consider for a moment the worlds greatest engineer.  He/she knows everything there is to know about engineering, but they have to explain a peice of their knowlege to someone, maybe a child that doesn't know the first thing about engineering.  Though they know it all,  they may have to ask how that person might grasp such a concept before trying to explain it to them if they have any hope of them understanding anything they're about to teach them.  Without that important peice of knowlege about that person to whom they're trying to teach, all their infinite knowlege about engineering will never be understood. 

I need to know how to present to you what you ask from the meta-phsyical understanding that it may possibly exist.  Once you can tell me, I can show you.  If you can't tell me... and this is without the excuse that you dont' believe it, then how do you expect me to show you whether it's real or not?

Brian37 wrote:

Your invisible magical super brain claim IS NOT special to me and holds no more weight than if someone claimed that they had an invisible pink unicorn living in the trunk of their car.

yea, it's quite obvious it's not special to you.  I never thought it was.  The only way it could hold significance with you or anyone is to understand it.  Until we can figure out how that's possible, it won't be and I can grasp that. 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
NoDeity wrote:My point is

NoDeity wrote:

My point is that the Jesus portrayed in the gospels is not a non-judgmental peace-and-love hippie Jesus.  The Jesus character in those stories did speak of people being condemned to everlasting torment for such trivial matters as not acknowledging him and he was quite willing to use force to make a point (eg. the temple clearing incident).

You seem to be mixing and matching.  Yes, the Jesus portrayed in the gospels was non-judgemental.  If you've ever met a true Christ follower, you'd notice they will be the same way, though of course no one's perfect, you will notice a difference.  Everyone's entitled to their own opinions. 

The hippie Jesus part is the Eurpoeanized Christ.  Historians believe he actually had short hair.  The next Christiandom book has a good example on its cover of different cultures and their portrayal of what Jesus looked like. 

As far as Jesus and the "temple clearing incident".   Yes, he was making a point, that the church wasn't to be used for marketing.  Though he reacted out of anger just as any human would.  It was basically like defiling his father's house. 

The point of the everlasting torment for trivial matters like not acknowleging him.  The point of his coming is that it was no longer about trivial matters, but a compilation of many sins piled upon themselves for each person.  Jesus was the redemption.  Taking our place for what would ultimately be a just sentence for breaking the laws.  I've given many examples of what his purpose was on this forum.  It was anything but over trivial stuff.  He came as the perfect example and the way of life. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

NoDeity wrote:

You seem to be mixing and matching.  Yes, the Jesus portrayed in the gospels was non-judgemental.  If you've ever met a true Christ follower, you'd notice they will be the same way, though of course no one's perfect, you will notice a difference.  Everyone's entitled to their own opinions. 

The hippie Jesus part is the Eurpoeanized Christ.  Historians believe he actually had short hair.  The next Christiandom book has a good example on its cover of different cultures and their portrayal of what Jesus looked like. 

As far as Jesus and the "temple clearing incident".   Yes, he was making a point, that the church wasn't to be used for marketing.  Though he reacted out of anger just as any human would.  It was basically like defiling his father's house. 

The point of the everlasting torment for trivial matters like not acknowleging him.  The point of his coming is that it was no longer about trivial matters, but a compilation of many sins piled upon themselves for each person.  Jesus was the redemption.  Taking our place for what would ultimately be a just sentence for breaking the laws.  I've given many examples of what his purpose was on this forum.  It was anything but over trivial stuff.  He came as the perfect example and the way of life. 

1. Doesn't making up a label like "true Christian" make you the judge of what a true Christian is and thus not like the non-judgmental Jesus?

2. Don't think he meant "hippie Jesus" as having long hair - more like the peace and love preacher that he really wasn't according to scripture.

3. Is there a reason why he died for sins we hadn't committed yet (not being born)?

— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cap,You believe in a being

Cap,

You believe in a being with no body, no brain, no cerebellum, no neurons with super powers. What more can be said about that than BULL SHIT!

Mask your skunk of a claim up in whatever window dressing you want, twist your logic to suit your own desires all you want and bullshit will always be bullshit.

When you realize that it is all in your head, like many of us here have been lucky enough to escape the mind trap you have fallen for, you will be free. We hope you do free yourself from your mind shackles. I have hope for you because there must be something bugging you so much for you to stick around this long. We have, and are getting to you, otherwise you wouldn't be protesting this much.

Most confident theists try to play chess, knock over the chess pieces after a couple of moves, and crap on the chess board and fly home to their coop and declare victory.

If nothing is getting to you, why have you stuck around so long?

Because it bothers you that you do believe in a being with no body, no brain, no neurons or cerebellum, and it bothers you that you have no way to demonstrate such a claim.

YOU BELIEVE IN A BEING WITH NO BODY, NO BRAIN, NO NEURONS, NO CEREBELLUM WHO HAS SUPER POWERS.

I am going to keep repeating that until you get it.

NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

NoDeity wrote:

You seem to be mixing and matching.  Yes, the Jesus portrayed in the gospels was non-judgemental.

Really?  Have you even read the New Testament?  The Jesus character in those stories was quite willing to judge.  For example:

"Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon, which have been done in you, they had a great while ago repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes.

"But it shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the judgment, than for you.   

"And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted to heaven, shalt be thrust down to hell."

(Luke 10:13-15)

That doesn't sound very non-judgemental to me.  (You might be inclined to argue that his judgement was somehow fair or justifiable but that would be completely beside the point, so please don't bother.)

caposkia wrote:
If you've ever met a true Christ follower, you'd notice they will be the same way, though of course no one's perfect, you will notice a difference.  Everyone's entitled to their own opinions.

What I've noticed is that everyone who professes to be a follower of Christ has their own version of what it means to be a "true Christ follower".

caposkia wrote:

LOL!  The phrase "hippie Jesus" has nothing whatsoever to do with his hair or any other aspect of his appearance.  Rather, it refers to the "peace and love" caricature.

caposkia wrote:

Whether or not such behaviour is justifiable or understandable is irrelevant.  The point is that he was not averse to judgement and the use of force, unless you think that he was likely to do or say things of which he disapproved.

caposkia wrote:

Yes, I'm familiar with the story.  God sacrificed himself to himself to appease himself for the behaviour of beings that he created and which were behaving as he created them to behave (unless you think that God had no idea what would be the consequences of such creation). 

However, again, the point is that he was not non-judgemental.  Whether or not you think his judgements were jusifiable is another matter altogether.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:Historians

caposkia wrote:

Historians believe he actually had short hair.

who exactly believes that?  he might have had a dylan fro, like most of the jewish people i've known with "classical" semitic features.

caposkia wrote:

why do you use the word "church"?  that's an extremely poor choice, from both the christian and the jewish side.  and by the way, i don't think that's "normal," "understandable" human behavior.  if i threw tantrums liked that everytime i've been disgusted by a church's consumerism, i'd have left broken offering plates and busted pews all up and the united states and europe.  the fact is, it was an act of vandalism at best and could be construed as a militant act.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:caposkia

iwbiek wrote:

caposkia wrote:

Historians believe he actually had short hair.

who exactly believes that?  he might have had a dylan fro, like most of the jewish people i've known with "classical" semitic features.

caposkia wrote:

why do you use the word "church"?  that's an extremely poor choice, from both the christian and the jewish side.  and by the way, i don't think that's "normal," "understandable" human behavior.  if i threw tantrums liked that everytime i've been disgusted by a church's consumerism, i'd have left broken offering plates and busted pews all up and the united states and europe.  the fact is, it was an act of vandalism at best and could be construed as a militant act.

What does short hair or long hair do with absurd claims? So if I wear a suit and tie and claim I can fart a Lamborghini out of my ass, that makes it true? Or, if I wear a turban and claim I can fart a Lamborghini out of my ass, that makes it true? Or. if I wear a tie dye t-shirt and smoke pot that means I can fart a Lamborghini out of my ass?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:As far as Jesus and

Quote:

Wow, so every private business WHICH HAS THE RIGHT, to display the nativity scene to attract customers shouldn't do that?

Let me give you a clue. EVERY symbol, from a business symbol, to flag, to political symbol, to national symbol IS AN ADVERTISMENT!

So if humans aren't to sell anything to each other, then how do we survive?

You said it in your last sentence. Your "father" doesn't want to sell anything that doesn't benefit him. So you are advocating a monopoly of power and not competition.

If you want to appeal to human empathy, YOU CAN, without the father figure, say the same thing.

Marketing, is what all species do. To deny that is STUPID.

What you want to say is that in that marketing, we should not put greed above human empathy for our own benefit at the cost of all others.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
This one point is what turned me from god.

caposkia wrote:

The point of the everlasting torment for trivial matters like not acknowleging him.  The point of his coming is that it was no longer about trivial matters, but a compilation of many sins piled upon themselves for each person.  Jesus was the redemption.  Taking our place for what would ultimately be a just sentence for breaking the laws. 

I would probably give god and theists a polite hearing were it not for this blatant appeal to force. I can only conclude that the case for god/jesus is so threadbare a gun must be held to our heads in order to force us to our knees to accept this crap. My kneejerk response to threats of violence or coercion of any kind is 'get fucked'.

Cap, I hope you are able to just stand there on judgment day with your hands in your pockets while the shit you believe is going to happen unfolds around you. I'm proud to say that it will be we, the unbelievers, who are going to get activated when god rolls out the alsations and uzis and tries to march the judged off to his chamber of horrors.

Christians and empathy are divorced from one another.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have a co-worker who is as

I have a co-worker who is as sweet as can be. But she often says to me "I am concerned for your soul".

She doesn't want me to go to hell.

While I understand the sentiment, she like Cap don't understand that IT IS A THREAT! It is not an appeal to reason, but a threat of being tortured forever for merely not wanting to belong to his club(gang).

This is psychological blackmail and in reality in most westernized industrial countries, if one were to use threats of violence against their spouse, sane people would find this abhorrent.

The only think the believer can do is to gloss this horrible story over and ignore it by pretending it doesn't mean what it says.

The Bible is a textbook for gang violence. It's leader "God" tells his followers, under threat of eternal damnation, to do his bidding, and if anyone crosses him, they will be tortured for eternity. That is not what I say, that IS in the Bible.

Civil society in the west has no choice but to gloss this over. But IT IS there, and the Fundies of the Dark Ages were much more adherent to the Bible than Christians today.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:1. Doesn't

jcgadfly wrote:

1. Doesn't making up a label like "true Christian" make you the judge of what a true Christian is and thus not like the non-judgmental Jesus?

what makes me a "true Christian" or "true Christ follower" whatever you want to call it isn't what I believe, but what I follow and how I go about doing that.  I may believe slightly different than another true Christ follower, but that doesn't give me a right to say that they're not a true follower.   To be a true follower is to be non-judgemental.  There is a fine line between being judgemental and being opinionated too.  We must be careful there. 

The main tell tale sign of a true follower would be is how they react when you tell them they're wrong.  Do they say; "no you're wrong" or do they say; "tell me why you think so and let's talk about it."?

In conclusion here, no it doesn't make me the judge, but understanding what a true Christ follower is helps everyone make a better judgement of what it means to be a True Christian.  As you I believe and many have said, a Christian isn't what the Bible says they should be.  Therefore you (or people in general) have already made a judgement of what a Christian should be because its' written pretty clear what they should be in scripture.  for me to call myself a True Chirstian is for me to say that I'm trying my best to follow Christ's example and I'm willing to change my ways to better my walk and am open to discussion of such if there is reason to do so. 

jcgadfly wrote:

2. Don't think he meant "hippie Jesus" as having long hair - more like the peace and love preacher that he really wasn't according to scripture.

He preached love and he preached peace, though he preached the truth, which of course doesn't always consist of a peaceful love.  I guess I'd have to hear more about why he holds that view before I go further into that.

jcgadfly wrote:

3. Is there a reason why he died for sins we hadn't committed yet (not being born)?

If he died for only sins that have already been comitted, then his sacrifice would be useless to any and all generations after his death including any new sins from the people who knew him therefore making his sacrifice no better than what the Jews were originally doing and utterly pointless. 

also, it was understood that we'd all sin and therefore would need such a sacrifice made so that we always have a way to God.  That's the message of Christ. 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Cap,You

Brian37 wrote:

Cap,

You believe in a being with no body, no brain, no cerebellum, no neurons with super powers. What more can be said about that than BULL SHIT!Yes,

See what I mean about being stuck in the physical.  considering for a moment that there was a meta-physical existance, this here proves you wouldn't even begin to consider it because to you physical is the only reality.  therefore, we can never make progress.  Real or not it doesn't matter if you're not willing to consider the possibilities. 

What possibilities you might be asking?  Well first ask yourself if such an existance were real, what evidences would you "LOGICALLY" need to see?

Brian37 wrote:

Mask your skunk of a claim up in whatever window dressing you want, twist your logic to suit your own desires all you want and bullshit will always be bullshit.

yes in your mind.  If you're happy there, that's fine with me.  If you want to have a serious discussion that might push you out of your happy place, let me know.

Brian37 wrote:

When you realize that it is all in your head, like many of us here have been lucky enough to escape the mind trap you have fallen for, you will be free. We hope you do free yourself from your mind shackles. I have hope for you because there must be something bugging you so much for you to stick around this long. We have, and are getting to you, otherwise you wouldn't be protesting this much.

I have been open to anything you would like to present to me, so why am I still a believer.  Be it that I'm open to all of it, it can't be on my side here. 

BTW, what am I protesting other than you not being able to think rationally?  I don't make that claim about many on here.  Most do seem to think rationally on here.  You decided that because you're so right, logic doesn't need a place in your defense. 

Brian37 wrote:

Most confident theists try to play chess, knock over the chess pieces after a couple of moves, and crap on the chess board and fly home to their coop and declare victory.

Meanwhile, I'm still playing the game and you keep trying to claim checkmate when you haven't even moved a peice yet. 

Brian37 wrote:

If nothing is getting to you, why have you stuck around so long?

Because it bothers you that you do believe in a being with no body, no brain, no neurons or cerebellum, and it bothers you that you have no way to demonstrate such a claim.

...or you just brighten my day with the lack of even an attempt at logical thinking and others on here actually challenge my understanding and have helped me learn more about what I'm following.  Much to your dismay, they've helped me strengthen my walk.

Brian37 wrote:

YOU BELIEVE IN A BEING WITH NO BODY, NO BRAIN, NO NEURONS, NO CEREBELLUM WHO HAS SUPER POWERS.

I am going to keep repeating that until you get it.

and I'll keep playing along until you want to start the game.

speaking of logical thinking... would your. 'ever-so-logical' approach work on you? 

To answer an earlier question, you are more religious than I.  Were you a Jehovah's Witness before this?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
NoDeity wrote:Really?  Have

NoDeity wrote:

Really?  Have you even read the New Testament?  The Jesus character in those stories was quite willing to judge.  For example:

"Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon, which have been done in you, they had a great while ago repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes.

"But it shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the judgment, than for you.   

"And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted to heaven, shalt be thrust down to hell."

That doesn't sound very non-judgemental to me.  (You might be inclined to argue that his judgement was somehow fair or justifiable but that would be completely beside the point, so please don't bother.)

is it being judgemental for me to call someone who murdered someone a murderer?  

What are you looking for me to say for that? or were you just making a statement that you don't want challenged.

NoDeity wrote:

What I've noticed is that everyone who professes to be a follower of Christ has their own version of what it means to be a "true Christ follower".

In the previous response I just made, I defined what is understood to be a true follower.  I'm curious on what you've heard others say while still claiming to be a "true Christ follower" 

NoDeity wrote:

LOL!  The phrase "hippie Jesus" has nothing whatsoever to do with his hair or any other aspect of his appearance.  Rather, it refers to the "peace and love" caricature.

I'd have to hear more about your intention behind the love an peace.

NoDeity wrote:

Whether or not such behaviour is justifiable or understandable is irrelevant.  The point is that he was not averse to judgement and the use of force, unless you think that he was likely to do or say things of which he disapproved.

...but he wasn't using force to make people follow, he was angry and basically went on a rampage.  what part of that is judgemental?  If he's truly the Christ, then they were doing something in his fathers house that he greatly disapproved of and was angry about it.  Would you not kick someone out of your home for doing something that you felt degraded your household?  Maybe not being judgemental toward them, but being angry at them for doing that in your home.

What to you is not being judgemental?  

NoDeity wrote:

Yes, I'm familiar with the story.  God sacrificed himself to himself to appease himself for the behaviour of beings that he created and which were behaving as he created them to behave (unless you think that God had no idea what would be the consequences of such creation). 

I believe he knew the possibilities, but it wasn't that he created man to sin, he created man with a choice and free will.  I think he may have known all the consequences whether good or bad for all of the possible choices we make.  I think he was hoping our choices would be to follow His lead. 

You seem to have a very religious understanding of Christianity.  If you look back quite a few posts, you will notice breif conversations about how Christianity in our world today isn't what is written in scripture.

NoDeity wrote:

However, again, the point is that he was not non-judgemental.  Whether or not you think his judgements were jusifiable is another matter altogether.

I think we're talking on 2 different levels.  Let's get as literal as possible.  By definition Jesus was not bias.  To make such a statement that someone was doing right or wrong or good or bad or has certain abilities however you'd like to view it is to make a judgement about that person.  By the point I think you're trying to make, there's no possible way one could make a statement about another person without being judgemental.  This being said, Not all judgement is bad then.  would you agree with that?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:who exactly

iwbiek wrote:

Looking into the culture of the time and how people normally looked in that time period along with the expectations of genders and the beliefs of the time, Jesus would not logically have long hair.   It's an emperical historical conclusion.

iwbiek wrote:

I won't disagree with you there.  It was anger, people have torn places apart out of anger.  Maybe you wouldn't do that, but I'm willing to bet that if Jesus had come in today's world, there would be such mayhem from him if he wasn't arrested yet. 

Also, Jesus from what I understand wasn't a "normal human being".

Why is "church" such a poor choice?  The definition of what a church is and what you see a church being in our world today are vastly different.  Look it up.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:What does

Brian37 wrote:

What does short hair or long hair do with absurd claims? So if I wear a suit and tie and claim I can fart a Lamborghini out of my ass, that makes it true? Or, if I wear a turban and claim I can fart a Lamborghini out of my ass, that makes it true? Or. if I wear a tie dye t-shirt and smoke pot that means I can fart a Lamborghini out of my ass?

No, if you wear a turban ON your ass... then it makes it true.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Wow, so every

Brian37 wrote:

Wow, so every private business WHICH HAS THE RIGHT, to display the nativity scene to attract customers shouldn't do that?

From what I understand, every business would have the right to display the nativity scene.  If they're using it to attract customers, then I believe Jesus' point is that they shouldn't because that's not what he's about.  It'd be like any business using any religious image to attract customers. 

Brian37 wrote:

Let me give you a clue. EVERY symbol, from a business symbol, to flag, to political symbol, to national symbol IS AN ADVERTISMENT!

Thank you Shirlock for figuring that out for me.  The question is, is the symbol appropriate for the advertisement?  Would it be appropriate for me to use the American Flag in a foreign country to promote raceism or genocide assuming it's not frowned upon in that culture?

Brian37 wrote:

So if humans aren't to sell anything to each other, then how do we survive?

Are we starting to bring this beyond what's there?

Brian37 wrote:

You said it in your last sentence. Your "father" doesn't want to sell anything that doesn't benefit him. So you are advocating a monopoly of power and not competition.

yea, we are.  Did Jesus say to never sell those items or did he say not to sell them in his father's house?

Brian37 wrote:

If you want to appeal to human empathy, YOU CAN, without the father figure, say the same thing.

Sure, but is empathy what I"m looking for?

Brian37 wrote:

Marketing, is what all species do. To deny that is STUPID.

Where do you get denying marketing from Jesus getting upset with people selling stuff in a church/temple/holy building, whatever you want to call it? 

Are you saying that if I tried to sell cotton candy at a funeral service and people were offended, that they're saying marketing in general is bad and that I should never sell cotton candy anywhere at any time?

Brian37 wrote:

What you want to say is that in that marketing, we should not put greed above human empathy for our own benefit at the cost of all others.

I do believe greed is not appropriate in marketing.  Now a goal for success and greed are 2 majorly different things

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:I

Atheistextremist wrote:

I would probably give god and theists a polite hearing were it not for this blatant appeal to force. I can only conclude that the case for god/jesus is so threadbare a gun must be held to our heads in order to force us to our knees to accept this crap. My kneejerk response to threats of violence or coercion of any kind is 'get fucked'.

Glad to hear you're open to Jesus then.

Atheistextremist wrote:

Cap, I hope you are able to just stand there on judgment day with your hands in your pockets while the shit you believe is going to happen unfolds around you. I'm proud to say that it will be we, the unbelievers, who are going to get activated when god rolls out the alsations and uzis and tries to march the judged off to his chamber of horrors.

Christians and empathy are divorced from one another.

unfortunately that seems true in today's world.  I'm sorry you think I'm the same way.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I have a

Brian37 wrote:

I have a co-worker who is as sweet as can be. But she often says to me "I am concerned for your soul".

She doesn't want me to go to hell.

While I understand the sentiment, she like Cap don't understand that IT IS A THREAT! It is not an appeal to reason, but a threat of being tortured forever for merely not wanting to belong to his club(gang).

If that's how you want to see it.  By the way, the whole "tortured forever" thing is beyond scripture.  People take the lake of fire as God throwing people into hell on judgement day.  A careful reading of English scripture says that Hell will even be thrown into this lake of fire.  Are we saying that Hell will be thrown into Hell?  Sure, why not while we're avoiding logic for the moment. 

How about that lake of fire?  Hell by our understanding is nowhere to be seen in the Greek or Hebrew which is our only sources for legitimate translation of the Bible, therefore where does it comes from?  According to you it must be true to our belief because Brian37 says so. 

The best explanation from the original languages we can come up with at this point in time is that "hell" as is defined is literally separation from God.  Whether that's torturous or just plain absense of existance or whether you are suffering at all is completely unknown.  but it is understood as separation.  If you choose to be separate from God, then God will be separate from you. 

Many have concluded that separation from God could be torturous if you're existing that way because God is love and good and absense of God is living without love or good.  This of course is only assumption.  People trying to make sense out of an unknown existance.  I'm sure it's that conclusion that eventually spawned the "burn in Hell" doctern. 

Brian37 wrote:

This is psychological blackmail and in reality in most westernized industrial countries, if one were to use threats of violence against their spouse, sane people would find this abhorrent.

sure

Brian37 wrote:

The only think the believer can do is to gloss this horrible story over and ignore it by pretending it doesn't mean what it says.

riiiiiight.....

Brian37 wrote:

The Bible is a textbook for gang violence. It's leader "God" tells his followers, under threat of eternal damnation, to do his bidding, and if anyone crosses him, they will be tortured for eternity. That is not what I say, that IS in the Bible.

quote it please and please give me the Bible version as well.

Brian37 wrote:

Civil society in the west has no choice but to gloss this over. But IT IS there, and the Fundies of the Dark Ages were much more adherent to the Bible than Christians today.

ok, We'll talk about this.  Just quote for me where you're referencing with the version you're using.  thank you for that input.

NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

NoDeity wrote:

is it being judgemental for me to call someone who murdered someone a murderer?  

What are you looking for me to say for that? or were you just making a statement that you don't want challenged.

I was just hoping you'd agree that the Jesus described in the Bible did not shy away from passing judgement.

caposkia wrote:
NoDeity wrote:

In the previous response I just made, I defined what is understood to be a true follower.  I'm curious on what you've heard others say while still claiming to be a "true Christ follower"

To be a follower of Christ means to try to follow the teachings and example of Jesus, as described in the New Testament.  The trick of it is that you can get several different versions of Jesus, depending on the preconceptions that you bring to studying the stories.  Some place the most emphasis on the kindness and compassion, others on the rules (eg. he had some pretty strict ideas about divorce), others on the signs and healing, etc.

I assume that you're distinguishing between being a "true follower" and being "saved".  The latter merely requires that you express repentance for your sins and ask for salvation (and, depending on which passage one reads, also be baptized).

caposkia wrote:
NoDeity wrote:

I'd have to hear more about your intention behind the love an peace.

Some have a conception of Jesus that makes him sound like a Buddha-like character who wouldn't hurt a fly and who preached unconditional, unlimited love and forgiveness.  For some reason, they seem to be unable to see the passages in the gospels in which Jesus is portrayed as being quite harsh.

caposkia wrote:
NoDeity wrote:

...but he wasn't using force to make people follow, he was angry and basically went on a rampage.  what part of that is judgemental?  If he's truly the Christ, then they were doing something in his fathers house that he greatly disapproved of and was angry about it.  Would you not kick someone out of your home for doing something that you felt degraded your household?  Maybe not being judgemental toward them, but being angry at them for doing that in your home. 

What to you is not being judgemental?  

As I see it, to be judgmental is to tend to make moral judgments (that's the second definition given for "judgmental" at dictionary.com).  So, to be non-judgmental would be to avoid making moral judgments.

caposkia wrote:
NoDeity wrote:

I believe he knew the possibilities, but it wasn't that he created man to sin, he created man with a choice and free will.  I think he may have known all the consequences whether good or bad for all of the possible choices we make.  I think he was hoping our choices would be to follow His lead.

It doesn't make sense to me that an omniscient being would have hope.  When you absolutely know how things will turn out, hope is irrelevant.  If one could be present in all times and all places simultaneously, hope would be irrelevant.

caposkia wrote:
You seem to have a very religious understanding of Christianity.  If you look back quite a few posts, you will notice breif conversations about how Christianity in our world today isn't what is written in scripture.

I have an understanding of Christianity as it is generally actually practiced.  I also have a solid understanding of the New Testament and I realize that organized Christianity has wandered quite a long way from its roots.  I was a Christian for a long time and, long before I rejected belief in the divine and the supernatural, I had already rejected organized religion.

caposkia wrote:
NoDeity wrote:

I think we're talking on 2 different levels.  Let's get as literal as possible.  By definition Jesus was not bias.  To make such a statement that someone was doing right or wrong or good or bad or has certain abilities however you'd like to view it is to make a judgement about that person.  By the point I think you're trying to make, there's no possible way one could make a statement about another person without being judgemental.  This being said, Not all judgement is bad then.  would you agree with that? 

I agree that being judgmental isn't necessarily bad.  In fact, I reject Jesus' "Judge not lest ye be judged" and, instead, approve of Ayn Rand's "Judge and be prepared to be judged."

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:Looking into

caposkia wrote:

Looking into the culture of the time and how people normally looked in that time period along with the expectations of genders and the beliefs of the time, Jesus would not logically have long hair.   It's an emperical historical conclusion.

you didn't answer my question.  which "historians" come to this "empirical" conclusion?  if it's just "you," then say so.  don't say "historians."  and just how do you know how semitic peoples looked back then?  they weren't typically depicted in any artwork, especially since the jews of that time traditionally abhorred making images of anything.  even the earliest portraits of christ are thoroughly hellenized or latinized.  i mean, if this is such an "empirical" conclusion, then it should be demonstrable in some way.  other than producing portraits of first century jews, i don't see how you can demonstrate it.  at least cite a source.

caposkia wrote:

Why is "church" such a poor choice?  The definition of what a church is and what you see a church being in our world today are vastly different.  Look it up.

i don't have to look it up, hoss, i studied it for four years and i've kept up with the literature in the subsequent 5 years.  please enlighten me as to what your definition of "church" is.  i've encountered many, but i've never encountered one that describes it as a place whose inner premises are forbidden to all but a class of priests, where animal sacrifices take place, and where public treasures are stored.  that's a temple, not just in the jewish sense but in the general sense of temples at that time, of which the herodian temple was a typical example.  there's also the fact that the herodian temple has never been referred to as a "church" in any scripture, christian or jewish, nor in any extrabiblical literature i have ever encountered, devotional or scholarly.  so just for the sake of clarity, it's a poor choice.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nice work Cap

In discussing the existence of hell Cap says: 

caposkia wrote:

This of course is only assumption.  People trying to make sense out of an unknown existence.

Now, let's apply this measured position to whatever exists outside the universe, whatever started the universe and admit that there are many things we simply do not know.

P.S. Jesus does say sinners will be cast into a lake of fire in Mark, right? With wailing and gnashing of teeth? 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

No, if you wear a turban ON your ass... then it makes it true.

At least you have a sense of humor.

The only FACT about Jesus is that people claim he existed. Debatable at best and even IF, it would still not constitute the magic tricks claimed in the bible being possible or immaterial beings with no brain or body or neurons.

You merely bought a claim that appealed to you and now you are doing everything within your imagination to justify it. You are not doing anything differently than fans of Yahweh or Allah or Vishnu. You merely fell for the emotional appeal of having a hero.