The New Atheist Crusaders and their quest for the Unholy Grail

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The New Atheist Crusaders and their quest for the Unholy Grail

Hey all.  It's been a while since I've been on. I appologise, I've been busy. 

The title of this forum is the title of a book I just finished reading.  It's a catchy title, so I figured it'd be a good way to grab someone's attention on here.  The book is written by Becky Garrison. 

If her name doesn't sound familiar, that's fine, it shouldn't.  So why am I wasting your time telling you about this book?  Well, I'm glad you asked.  This is a book written by a True Christian.  HUH?  For all of you who have discussed with me in the past, you understand what I'm talking about and for those of you who haven't you can research my blogs.  Caposkia is my name. 

Anyway, It's written from the viewpoint of how a true Christian feels about of course the atheists in the world today, but more importantly for you, how she feels about Christians in the world. 

This is for all of you arguing with me about how Christians have to be black and white.  How you have to follow a religion and there's nothing outside of religion etc.  She touches on all of this.  I truly think you'll enjoy reading this book and I would like to hear from those of you who have read it if anyone.  If not, I"ll wait till someone finishes it.  It's not a very long book.

When I first came onto this site, I wanted to discuss directly with those who were involved in the infamous television debate that RRS was involved in about the existence of God with Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron.  They didn't have time and the other non-believers I came across were too opinionated to involve themselves in a conversation that made any progress.  Instead I got into other debates which for the most part were a lot of fun, but I digress. 

Becky mentions this debate as well in her book at the end.  This is for all of you on here I've talked to who would not believe me or had other personal issues with the fact that my opinion didn't flow with their idea of a Christian.  I will breifly say that I hold her viewpoint when she says that if she was at that debate, she would have "crawled out of that church in shame. "

Simply put, we both agree that both sides put forth deplorable excuses for their side and did not defend their side succesfully.  I know I know, many of you will disagree and say that RRS did disprove the existance of God in that debate, but enough with the opinions, I'm saying the other side did just as good of a job proving God.  This debate is a poor excuse to not follow Christ and this book talks about those types of Christians.

This book should clarify many misunderstandings of how True Christians are and I hope bring light to a new understanding of our following. 

It is written differently than most books, but is an informational peice and uses a lot of researched information.  It does focus on the "New Atheists" and is not a book preaching to the masses.  As said, it is from the point of  view of a True Christian.

enjoy, let me know your thoughts.  I would also request, please be respectful in your responses.  I'm here to have mature discussions with people. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
1. The hypocrite's way out?

1. The hypocrite's way out? Then John was a hypocrite when he wrote 1 John 2:1.

2. The only problem with the shortened sentence analogy is that no crime was committed.

3a. You know someone who chose to have their parents' gametes form them?

3b. He loved us so much he died for us as long as we kiss his tail for the rest of our lives - that's not agape.

4a. And yet, being god he knew that he would have to go through this (not necessarily feel it - just go through it) so he could go back and be God again.

4b. He'e pushing us out of the way of the bus that he happens to be driving. Why not just stop the bus?

5. Paul said God raised Jesus from the dead - are you saying Jesus raised himself? How could God raise God from the dead?

6. I would interpret them to be equal with Yahweh in the myths. I look at them as equal in fact as they are al human constructs.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:Brian37

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

BTW where do you think "scapegoat" came from? Christianity simply took the animal sacrifice motif and switched it to human sacrifice, but the MOTIF is the same. Offer something up to god so he wont hurt you.

e.g. community service for a shortened sentence or no sentence at all... yea, can't argue there.

Except that there is absolutely no 'community service' involved in the scapegoat idea. It is a superstitious attempt to push off your sins onto something (someone?) else. IOW, a way to get a 'free pass', the very opposite of actually doing something to compensate for any injury to other people, so you don't have to do anything of real substance.

The idea of someone or something else 'sacrificed' for my 'sins' is a very bad thing, endorsing as acceptable for people to effectively 'get out of jail free', and not having to seriously confront their wrong-doings.

The idea behind the crucifiction was primitive and immoral, it should be roundly condemned by any serious thinking person, along with the stupid concept of 'original sin' with which it is associated. 

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Di66en6ion wrote:caposkia

Di66en6ion wrote:
caposkia wrote:

1.  What 'observed repeatable tests' are you referring to that you claim I don't believe?

2. thousands of translations of many Biblical scripture through thousands of years have proven to be almost identical which untimately blows your "operator" theory out of the water.

3. why would credence to the Bible ultimately give way to the same for all fictional work?  Don't tell me it's fictional either.  Maybe do some homework.  Start with the Archeological study Bible maybe.  Either that, or show me a map of the land of Nod and how to get there from here.

1. Not specifically directed toward you. Has to do with the more general claptrap people believe even when there is a complete lack of evidence supporting their claims. (ie. miracles)

Can't base a following off miracles alone.  Jesus addressed that many times.  It's why he refused to "perform miracles" when people demanded it.

Di66en6ion wrote:

2. Yeah, has nothing to do with that ~50-120 year gap between when these events supposedly took place and the time they were written in the NT. 

Many "factual" things were written down much later than the actual event.  Think of many stories out there of real happenings that may have been scribbled down somewhere, later ending up in a best selling novel or a movie.  The scribbled down notes of what happened would have been lost in history, yet the best selling novel is what's going to be remembered.  What makes it different now?

Di66en6ion wrote:

3. What, you think just because there are archeological congruencies with places mentioned in the bible that automatically validates every fairytale "miracle" also mentioned in it? If I can find other fictional work with congruencies in history, why are those less authentic than yours?

See, that's what happens when you don't open your mind.  You forget that there's more to my belief than just archeological evidences. 

If that was the case, then Unicorns are real.  Many stories place unicorn sightings in actual places here on Earth.  It's when you try to back it up with the histories of those claimed places that the story will either hold water or fall apart. 

Archeology is just a stepping stone.  Intelligent people don't believe in God because they forgot to think!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Which makes it that much easier for one to make excuses for their mistakes. "It is not my fault, I am a sinner".

That would be the hypocrite's way out.

Brian37 wrote:

BTW where do you think "scapegoat" came from? Christianity simply took the animal sacrifice motif and switched it to human sacrifice, but the MOTIF is the same. Offer something up to god so he wont hurt you.

e.g. community service for a shortened sentence or no sentence at all... yea, can't argue there.

Brian37 wrote:

BTW, if one is to assume your deity model for argument's sake, I was forced into this life and did not consent to this "deal" and no one asked me if I wanted someone to go to prison for me in my place.

it.

1.  You can't remember before birth, therefore you have no evidence to support such a theory that you had "no choice"... unless there's something you're not telling me.

(btw, I'm not arguing either way, just making a 'logic' point)

2. He died for everyone.  If you chose not to accept that, then He really didn't do it for you.  Only for those who accept it. 

Brian37 wrote:

This Jesus character acts like a celebrity stalker, "Look, I slit my wrists for you".

...but He didn't actually do it to Himself.  He actually pleaded to not have to go through with it if it wasn't needed. 

It's like someone running in front of a bus to push you out of the way.  They ended up saving your life while losing their own.

Brian37 wrote:

Ok, let me understand. He gets speared in the side. All the blood drains from his body, and as such, suffers brain death, organ failure and cardiac arrest and complete cellular death, but somehow waves his magic fingers and becomes a zombie?

You do realize that reanimation of body parts IS NOT a new motif in theism. Isis reanimated the penis of Osirus to mate with it to have Horus.

Isis magically making the penis alive again, you don't believe, but an entire human body is ok?

I never said I didn't believe it.  I'm not familiar with that story.  The problem with your arguement is it wasn't "zombie reannimation"  Jesus Himself was alive and well.  Yes injuries still there, but proof that it was the same body alive after death. 

Also, it wasn't another person summoning Jesus back to life.  You're way overanalyzing the resurrection and in turn falling way off track.  The simple evidence to followers was that He overcame death and therefore is able to do that for us too. 

Brian37 wrote:

You conflate the details as being special when the motif of hero worship have been around since the first deities were uttered by humans.

Horus also sat next to Ra and Osirus in judgment of the dead. He too rose from his death in spirit to vanquish his enemies.

Are you saying they're higher than God Almighty?  If so, please provide evidence of that. 

Strangely, I don't think you believe in a God at all yet, which makes that irrelevant at this moment.  Once you can accept the existance of a metaphysical being, then we can go into "why the Christian God?"

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

Admitting that I had no memory before my birth constitutes super heros? Which one......let me guess.....the one you favor. What a shocker!

How about that super heros don't exist and whatever I was before I was born will be what everyone will be after they die?

Do you really expect me to believe that Jesus, Horus, Allah  or Thor, Posiden or you or me were part of a plan 50 billion years ago and that they are part of a plan 50 billion years from now?

It frightens me that my life will end, don't get me wrong. But I don't make up stories to placate my fears to avoid reality.  Humans invent gods to avoid fear. YOU are no different.

What frightens me more than my finite existence is the length humans will go to fight over myth. The only thing that frightens me about death is pain, not some fictional reward or punishment in a non existent afterlife that any religion absurdly proposes.

I was no more planned than the bird who shit on my car planned to shit on my car after I washed it.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I keep trying

Brian37 wrote:

I keep trying to explain this as have countless other atheists.

We know that George Washington existed, and we know that Washington DC exists, but no sane person would claim that he could fart a full sized Lamborghini out of his ass.

it couldn't be because there really wouldn't be a reason to believe that.... speaking of pulling things out of your ass.

Brian37 wrote:

In an age of DNA and Ipods you'd think that this crap would rightfully put in the myth bin where it belongs.

Strange that the guy who helped discover DNA is a believer.

Brian37 wrote:

It is nothing more than a psychological placebo in an attempt to escape our own mortality. If we can convince ourselves that their is a super hero that will save us, we can avoid our finite existence. How Christians think they are escaping the same human flaw all other religions have, past and present, is absurd. Super heros don't exist. Allah is a myth, Yahwey is a myth and so too that of the magic of Jesus.

or could it be that the denial is the psychological placebo in attempt to have more control over life than you really do.

The sad part is "Christianity" has not avoided the same human flaw all other religions have.  This is why it is important to always challenge what you know.  If, like Brian you don't do that, then Hallmark will always be the very best and wisdom will be fed to you in the form of a pill.

Brian37 wrote:

How anyone can willfully believe that a claimed being with no body and no DNA can magically get a girl pregnant is beyond me. If you can swallow that then why not believe that George Washington can fart a full sized Lamborghini out of his ass. BOTH claims to be believed require suspension of skepticism and reason.

Maybe due to logic and empirical reasoning. 

Brian37 wrote:

It merely amounts to something the person wants to believe because the idea sounds comforting. I'd like to date Lucy Lawless, but I don't delude myself into actually thinking I am.

yea, it's comforting to know that in many countries in this world I'd be tortured and killed for this particular following.  Aah the bliss

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Except that

BobSpence1 wrote:

Except that there is absolutely no 'community service' involved in the scapegoat idea. It is a superstitious attempt to push off your sins onto something (someone?) else. IOW, a way to get a 'free pass', the very opposite of actually doing something to compensate for any injury to other people, so you don't have to do anything of real substance.

...eh.. except maybe walk the walk... unless you want to be a hypocrite.

BobSpence1 wrote:

The idea of someone or something else 'sacrificed' for my 'sins' is a very bad thing, endorsing as acceptable for people to effectively 'get out of jail free', and not having to seriously confront their wrong-doings.

who said you don't still have to "confront" them?  There is much remorse from most true followers about their sins of the past and the ones they do because they have an understanding of why they shouldn't.  If they're choosing to do them without remorse then they're not really accepting the redemption and aren't considering the point of the sacrifice.

BobSpence1 wrote:

The idea behind the crucifiction was primitive and immoral, it should be roundly condemned by any serious thinking person, along with the stupid concept of 'original sin' with which it is associated. 

...and yet many serious thinking people don't condemn it... they actually support it... I wonder why that is?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:You have got

Brian37 wrote:

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

Admitting that I had no memory before my birth constitutes super heros? Which one......let me guess.....the one you favor. What a shocker!

You always get defensive when I squash you on a logic point.  The point simply was your conclusion was not logical... nothing more.  As for "the one I favor", let's get by the existance of any favored metaphysical being first.

Brian37 wrote:

How about that super heros don't exist and whatever I was before I was born will be what everyone will be after they die?

Be it that God is not viewed as a superhero... yea I can agree with that statement.

Brian37 wrote:

Do you really expect me to believe that Jesus, Horus, Allah  or Thor, Posiden or you or me were part of a plan 50 billion years ago and that they are part of a plan 50 billion years from now?

I don't expect you to believe anything if you don't use logic.

Brian37 wrote:

It frightens me that my life will end, don't get me wrong. But I don't make up stories to placate my fears to avoid reality.  Humans invent gods to avoid fear. YOU are no different.

In today's world, do I not have more to fear expressing belief in God than not?  If I step foot in the wrong country, my life could be greatly shortened... painfully just for mentioning Jesus.  This happens to many who are according to you... "inventing gods to avoid fear."  Sounds pretty scary to me.

Brian37 wrote:

What frightens me more than my finite existence is the length humans will go to fight over myth. The only thing that frightens me about death is pain, not some fictional reward or punishment in a non existent afterlife that any religion absurdly proposes.

I was no more planned than the bird who shit on my car planned to shit on my car after I washed it.

That's what you believe... yet you dont' ever back it up.  You claim you don't need to because what you know is true and real... yet... I've heard Christians get severely ridiculed for that same statement by atheists. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:BobSpence1

caposkia wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

who said you don't still have to "confront" them?  There is much remorse from most true followers about their sins of the past and the ones they do because they have an understanding of why they shouldn't.  If they're choosing to do them without remorse then they're not really accepting the redemption and aren't considering the point of the sacrifice.

BobSpence1 wrote:

...and yet many serious thinking people don't condemn it... they actually support it... I wonder why that is?

1. How does not doing what you aren't obligated to do (walk the walk) make you a hypocrite? All you have to do is believe in Jesus, right? Sola fidei, sola gratia, sola scriptura? Works (let alone good works) don't fit in.

2. Why do some followers carry remorse for their sins if God (according to scripture) has dropped them into the great sea of his forgetfulness? (Micah 7:19)

3. Because belief in something that feels comforting doesn't require thought?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote: BobSpence1

caposkia wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

That doesn't actually follow from the scapegoat thing, and makes the scapegoat/sacrifice business irrelevant.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

The sacrifice/redemption bit is still an unnecessary bit of illogical symbolism which is there because it appeals to the primitive part of the human mind which is behind the scapegoat idea - I can pass of at least some of my guilt for having done bad things onto a third party which does the suffering for me, which is ultimately illogical and immoral. It is there because it provides a psychological echanism for reducing the amount of 'confrontation' they need to do.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Simple. Because they don't examine it with a truly open mind, and the conventional reading of it has become so deeply ingrained in our culture, and they are still susceptible to the same psychological appeal that makes the idea so popular. They are supporting the symbolism which has become associated with it, rather than re-examining the actual implications of such a scenario. it is a powerful meme.

It's like the God meme - to the majority of people who just grow up with it, it seems so obviously true. It takes some effort and/or a mind not so susceptible to the meme to break free of it, and then you look back and wonder what you ever saw in it. 

In some ways, the sacrifice/scapegoat idea is more deeply ingrained than the God-meme, and it is not specifically tied to God belief, so even people who have discarded God will still react positively to the idea of 'sacrifice for others', which is fine when the sacrifice directly saves others from harm, such as when a soldier takes enemy fire to himself to allow his comrades to escape. It is the conflation of such real sacrifice with the Crucifiction scenario which I find offensive. It would be like the soldier simply blowing himself up as a symbolic act when it served no other purpose, as compared to the scenario I described.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Once you accept a

Quote:
Once you accept a metaphysical being

Once you accept that George Washington can fart a Lamborghini out of his ass, the world will have peace. Who needs evidence when you have a placebo?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

I keep trying to explain this as have countless other atheists.

We know that George Washington existed, and we know that Washington DC exists, but no sane person would claim that he could fart a full sized Lamborghini out of his ass.

it couldn't be because there really wouldn't be a reason to believe that.... speaking of pulling things out of your ass.

Brian37 wrote:

In an age of DNA and Ipods you'd think that this crap would rightfully put in the myth bin where it belongs.

Strange that the guy who helped discover DNA is a believer.

Brian37 wrote:

It is nothing more than a psychological placebo in an attempt to escape our own mortality. If we can convince ourselves that their is a super hero that will save us, we can avoid our finite existence. How Christians think they are escaping the same human flaw all other religions have, past and present, is absurd. Super heros don't exist. Allah is a myth, Yahwey is a myth and so too that of the magic of Jesus.

or could it be that the denial is the psychological placebo in attempt to have more control over life than you really do.

The sad part is "Christianity" has not avoided the same human flaw all other religions have.  This is why it is important to always challenge what you know.  If, like Brian you don't do that, then Hallmark will always be the very best and wisdom will be fed to you in the form of a pill.

Brian37 wrote:

How anyone can willfully believe that a claimed being with no body and no DNA can magically get a girl pregnant is beyond me. If you can swallow that then why not believe that George Washington can fart a full sized Lamborghini out of his ass. BOTH claims to be believed require suspension of skepticism and reason.

Maybe due to logic and empirical reasoning. 

Brian37 wrote:

It merely amounts to something the person wants to believe because the idea sounds comforting. I'd like to date Lucy Lawless, but I don't delude myself into actually thinking I am.

yea, it's comforting to know that in many countries in this world I'd be tortured and killed for this particular following.  Aah the bliss

You cant be that dense can you? I love you Cap, but come on.

OF COURSE THERE IS NO REASON TO BELIEVE THAT GEORGE WASHINGTON COULD FART A LAMBORGHINI OUT OF HIS ASS.

OF COURSE I PULLED THAT  CLAIM OUT OF MY ASS!

TO SHOW YOU that merely uttering a claim, or the popularity of the claim doesn't make it true!

AND THERE IS NO GOOD REASON TO BELIEVE THAT BEINGS WITH NO BODY OR BRIAN (BY ANY NAME OF ANY RELIGION) EXIST!

We know what a human brian looks like. We also know that humans cannot wave their hands or a wand and make dirt into gold. So what makes you think A DEITY by any name, MUCH LESS YOURS, exists?

I'll tell you. For the same reason other people with other deity claims claim them. BECUASE IT APPEALS TO THEM!

The claim that the earth was flat appealed to most people at one time.

So? Newton also believed that alchemy was lagit science. There are pleanty of smart Muslims with PHDs who would argue that means Allah is the one true god. Yet you are not a Muslim.

Gene Rodenbery concieved of a hand held comunications divice, yet you don't believe that Klingons are real.

Di66en6ion
Di66en6ion's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:Di66en6ion

caposkia wrote:

Di66en6ion wrote:
caposkia wrote:

1.  What 'observed repeatable tests' are you referring to that you claim I don't believe?

2. thousands of translations of many Biblical scripture through thousands of years have proven to be almost identical which untimately blows your "operator" theory out of the water.

3. why would credence to the Bible ultimately give way to the same for all fictional work?  Don't tell me it's fictional either.  Maybe do some homework.  Start with the Archeological study Bible maybe.  Either that, or show me a map of the land of Nod and how to get there from here.

1. Not specifically directed toward you. Has to do with the more general claptrap people believe even when there is a complete lack of evidence supporting their claims. (ie. miracles)

Can't base a following off miracles alone.  Jesus addressed that many times.  It's why he refused to "perform miracles" when people demanded it.

Di66en6ion wrote:

2. Yeah, has nothing to do with that ~50-120 year gap between when these events supposedly took place and the time they were written in the NT. 

Many "factual" things were written down much later than the actual event.  Think of many stories out there of real happenings that may have been scribbled down somewhere, later ending up in a best selling novel or a movie.  The scribbled down notes of what happened would have been lost in history, yet the best selling novel is what's going to be remembered.  What makes it different now?

Di66en6ion wrote:

3. What, you think just because there are archeological congruencies with places mentioned in the bible that automatically validates every fairytale "miracle" also mentioned in it? If I can find other fictional work with congruencies in history, why are those less authentic than yours?

See, that's what happens when you don't open your mind.  You forget that there's more to my belief than just archeological evidences. 

If that was the case, then Unicorns are real.  Many stories place unicorn sightings in actual places here on Earth.  It's when you try to back it up with the histories of those claimed places that the story will either hold water or fall apart. 

Archeology is just a stepping stone.  Intelligent people don't believe in God because they forgot to think!

Oh here we go with the opening your mind bit, get a fucking clue. The only stepping stone for your arguments are god of the gaps. Throughout this entire thread all you have done is expressed generalized views with no concise reason for believing what you do besides faith/circular reasoning. Someone asks you why you believe X is true, you cite some biblical passage and/or anecdote all the while ignoring the uncritical nature of your sources. Stop beating around and either man up and express yourself succinctly or realize that you have no means by which to do so. 

Yeah, I get it, there's more to your belief then that pesky thing called evidence. Quit attempting to use physical evidence when you know that it does nothing to further your arguments. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWM5S0328zU

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Intelligent people

Quote:
Intelligent people don't believe in God because they forgot to think!

Really? Is that why God asks for people to suspend reason and take him on faith?

— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:1. How does

jcgadfly wrote:

1. How does not doing what you aren't obligated to do (walk the walk) make you a hypocrite? All you have to do is believe in Jesus, right? Sola fidei, sola gratia, sola scriptura? Works (let alone good works) don't fit in.

To 'accept' Jesus is the only requirement. but to accept Jesus is to understand Jesus.  To understand Jesus is to comprehend his intentions, is to walk the walk, otherwise do you really accept or just say you do. 

In other words, you can believe in Jesus.  It is said that Satan 'believes' in Jesus.  He knows Jesus exists, therefore, he believes.  But it doesn't mean he accepts Jesus. 

The Bible doesn't say know me and you're saved, it says accept me and you're saved.  There's a difference.  It's not works, its acceptance, which is understanding.  With that understanding comes reasonable distinction of actions because to accept is to agree and therefore, you strive to become as much a part of what you accept or agree with.  Anyone of any faith or anti-faith can believe that. 

Yes, if you read the Bible, you will question me now and say; but it does say 'believe'.  but keep in mind translational misunderstandings.  99% of the words or phrases in the Bible are not literally translated, but are translated in the best possible way to get the best possible understanding of the original intent while still making sense to us.  This 'believe' is not talking about momentary beliefs, but "settled attitudes". (Zondervan Study footnote)

jcgadfly wrote:

2. Why do some followers carry remorse for their sins if God (according to scripture) has dropped them into the great sea of his forgetfulness? (Micah 7:19)

It's easy for God to forgive and forget through Christ.  It's difficult for you to forgive yourself, forget your past and move on. 

Also, some dwell on their sins as if that suffering they'll put themselves through will ultimately bring more forgiveness from God, but that's a misunderstanding of the grace of Christ. 

jcgadfly wrote:

3. Because belief in something that feels comforting doesn't require thought?

Sure, but it doesn't excuse the support they have for it through the knowlege they posess.  It would take ignorance to blindly accept a belief because it feels comfortable. E.g. an alcoholic who finds comfort in drinking and therefore denies that they have a problem. 

I believe I have repeatedly expressed the many discomforts that come with being a follower of Jesus Christ.  It amazes me that people still try to use that excuse for followers on this forum.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:That

BobSpence1 wrote:

That doesn't actually follow from the scapegoat thing, and makes the scapegoat/sacrifice business irrelevant.

What's the point then in even doing a sacrifice?  If you're not going to 'walk the walk', it's irrelevant to begin with.

BobSpence1 wrote:

The sacrifice/redemption bit is still an unnecessary bit of illogical symbolism which is there because it appeals to the primitive part of the human mind which is behind the scapegoat idea - I can pass of at least some of my guilt for having done bad things onto a third party which does the suffering for me, which is ultimately illogical and immoral. It is there because it provides a psychological echanism for reducing the amount of 'confrontation' they need to do.

I think you misunderstand what is 'passed off' when accepting the sacrifice.  Guilt is definitely not what is passed off because "true guilt is from within".  You still pay for a sinfull life with death and in many cases the results of your sinful actions in life. 

Look at it more like you have a life sentence without parol, but through Christ, you actually do get out on parol.  The catch is you have to accept the fact that someone has to pay the full penalty. 

If anything, you end up with more guilt because you know someone else took your place, but joy in the understanding that your past mistakes are no longer there to haunt you.  Joy because the one who took your place did it out of love for you and not for any other reason. 

BobSpence1 wrote:

Simple. Because they don't examine it with a truly open mind...

Sure it's simple when you don't read their stuff.  I'm not even going to ask you who you might be referencing to be it that there are too many out there to name.  Sorry to tell you I'm not talking about them.

I'm talking about the ones (some who were avid anti-theists and atheists) who through their expertise, discovered God.. or even forget the Christian God for a moment.  Many others discovered the understanding that it is terribly illogical to consider the universe the way it is without intelligence behind it. 

BobSpence1 wrote:

It's like the God meme - to the majority of people who just grow up with it, it seems so obviously true. It takes some effort and/or a mind not so susceptible to the meme to break free of it, and then you look back and wonder what you ever saw in it. 

If I may ask, some self relflection here... possibly?  If so, what did you ever see in it and what made you change your mind about it?

BobSpence1 wrote:

In some ways, the sacrifice/scapegoat idea is more deeply ingrained than the God-meme, and it is not specifically tied to God belief, so even people who have discarded God will still react positively to the idea of 'sacrifice for others', which is fine when the sacrifice directly saves others from harm, such as when a soldier takes enemy fire to himself to allow his comrades to escape. It is the conflation of such real sacrifice with the Crucifiction scenario which I find offensive. It would be like the soldier simply blowing himself up as a symbolic act when it served no other purpose, as compared to the scenario I described.

The problem with your scenario is that Jesus' sacrifice is likened to the soldier that takes the enemy fire vs. a symbolic 'blowing himself up'. 

Without the sacrifice, there'd be no redemption of sins except through animal sacrifice, which in today's world, would be no more because we'd have wiped out the animal population.  (my opinion)

It wasn't just so people could see; 'hey! look at me, I can die and live again.. That means I can do that for you too!!!'.  No, it was a needed action in order for redemption through Christ to be possible.  Just like the one soldier dying so the other can live.  If that first soldier didn't die, the other would not have lived. 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Quote: Once

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:
Once you accept a metaphysical being

Once you accept that George Washington can fart a Lamborghini out of his ass, the world will have peace. Who needs evidence when you have a placebo?

....so in other words, you'd need a 3 day old Beethoven to write you a symphony right then and there before you believed he would grow up to be a timeless composer... Otherwise, even if he did ultimately grow up to be that timeless composer, you would not accept it because at 3 days old, he was incapable of writing you one.   Got it.

e.g. same logic you present above.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:You cant be

Brian37 wrote:

You cant be that dense can you? I love you Cap, but come on.

OF COURSE THERE IS NO REASON TO BELIEVE THAT GEORGE WASHINGTON COULD FART A LAMBORGHINI OUT OF HIS ASS.

OF COURSE I PULLED THAT  CLAIM OUT OF MY ASS!

TO SHOW YOU that merely uttering a claim, or the popularity of the claim doesn't make it true!

*heroic trumpet sound*   Captain obvious to the rescue!!!!

Start reading some of the other posts... and maybe read God according to God.

Brian37 wrote:

AND THERE IS NO GOOD REASON TO BELIEVE THAT BEINGS WITH NO BODY OR BRIAN (BY ANY NAME OF ANY RELIGION) EXIST!

nah, and there's no such thing as gravity.  It's just a figment of our imagination.  It must be the air pushing down on us that keeps us on the ground.  That's really the only physical excuse us Earth bound beings have to not being able to leave the planet without exteme opposing force.

Brian37 wrote:

We know what a human brian looks like. We also know that humans cannot wave their hands or a wand and make dirt into gold. So what makes you think A DEITY by any name, MUCH LESS YOURS, exists?

many things.  I've tried to talk to you about some of them.... eh, but you're not interested in logical thinking Eye-wink

Brian37 wrote:

I'll tell you. For the same reason other people with other deity claims claim them. BECUASE IT APPEALS TO THEM!

has nothing to do with logic, emperical reasoning, or making sense...

Brian37 wrote:

The claim that the earth was flat appealed to most people at one time.

Amazing that the churches had scripture that pointed to a round Earth that whole time.  Yet they had no emperical reasoning, just a fear of being wrong.

Brian37 wrote:

So? Newton also believed that alchemy was lagit science. There are pleanty of smart Muslims with PHDs who would argue that means Allah is the one true god. Yet you are not a Muslim.

Gene Rodenbery concieved of a hand held comunications divice, yet you don't believe that Klingons are real.

Let's get through the existance of an inteligent being behind what we know as real.  Then we can tackle the religion debate.  If you can't even grasp that, I would never expect you to understand why I'm a Christian and not any of the other 1000's of religions out there. 

I'll be the first to admit I completely understand from a non-believer's perspective why it's so easy to grasp an idea that God can't be real.  I've questioned it all.  The question is, have you or do you blindly accept your disbelief.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Di66en6ion wrote:Oh here we

Di66en6ion wrote:

Oh here we go with the opening your mind bit, get a fucking clue. The only stepping stone for your arguments are god of the gaps. Throughout this entire thread all you have done is expressed generalized views with no concise reason for believing what you do besides faith/circular reasoning. Someone asks you why you believe X is true, you cite some biblical passage and/or anecdote all the while ignoring the uncritical nature of your sources. Stop beating around and either man up and express yourself succinctly or realize that you have no means by which to do so. 

Thank you for being the perfect example of what I mean.  The 'open your mind' bit I stated was for the point that instead of taking everything I've said into considersation, they've once again conceeded that my belief must be solely based on the last thing I said. 

At this point, this thread isn't what it was originally intended to be.  Therefore, I'm really just following the lead of you all.  It's not my fault at this point it's getting redundant.  I know it is, but I'm just answering posts, not leading anything here.  You have many excuses in your above statement.  If you're not satisfied with my answers, ask me a question.  If you're not satisfied with my answer, ask me to clarify and specify what you're looking for. 

So many try to play me off as some moron who isn't saying anything of relevence, but then... what is that saying for everyone on here who is still talking to me... what... 1 1/2... 2 years after this forum was started?  What's your excuse?  I've seen you pop up now and again.

Di66en6ion wrote:

Yeah, I get it, there's more to your belief then that pesky thing called evidence. Quit attempting to use physical evidence when you know that it does nothing to further your arguments. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWM5S0328zU

Speaking of 'openmindedness'.  Is it not closemindedness to ignore everything I've been saying and only focus on bits and peices that support your state of mind? 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly

jcgadfly wrote:
Quote:

Really? Is that why God asks for people to suspend reason and take him on faith?

???

The definition of faith is; "confidence or trust in a person or thing"  (Definition 1, dictionary.com)

Where does it say that God asks for people to suspend reason?

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:BobSpence1

caposkia wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

What's the point then in even doing a sacrifice?  If you're not going to 'walk the walk', it's irrelevant to begin with.

There is no point in the sacrifice, it's all quite irrational.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I think you misunderstand what is 'passed off' when accepting the sacrifice.  Guilt is definitely not what is passed off because "true guilt is from within".  You still pay for a sinfull life with death and in many cases the results of your sinful actions in life. 

Look at it more like you have a life sentence without parol, but through Christ, you actually do get out on parol.  The catch is you have to accept the fact that someone has to pay the full penalty. 

No-one 'has to pay the full penalty'. If the person originally guilty of causing some harm doesn't get to pay the full penalty, absolutely nothing is served by having someone or something else suffer.

Quote:

If anything, you end up with more guilt because you know someone else took your place, but joy in the understanding that your past mistakes are no longer there to haunt you.  Joy because the one who took your place did it out of love for you and not for any other reason. 

So its STILL a ritual way to try and offset the guilt feeling by a totally irrational mechanism that may work psychologically in people who swallow the particular myth.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Simple. Because they don't examine it with a truly open mind...

Sure it's simple when you don't read their stuff.  I'm not even going to ask you who you might be referencing to be it that there are too many out there to name.  Sorry to tell you I'm not talking about them.

I'm talking about the ones (some who were avid anti-theists and atheists) who through their expertise, discovered God.. or even forget the Christian God for a moment.  Many others discovered the understanding that it is terribly illogical to consider the universe the way it is without intelligence behind it. 

Except that my observation strongly suggests that it is a gradual realization of the total irrationality and illogic of the Bible and Xian doctrine in general, its almost total conflict with all we are discovering about "Life, the Universe, and Everything", is what has people abandoning childhood beliefs.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

If I may ask, some self relflection here... possibly?  If so, what did you ever see in it and what made you change your mind about it?

Thanks at least partly to a sceptical father I never saw anything in it.

My mother was a conventional believer who sent me to Sunday School and some occasional religious presentations, but it never worked on me, and she eventually gave up.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

The problem with your scenario is that Jesus' sacrifice is likened to the soldier that takes the enemy fire vs. a symbolic 'blowing himself up'. 

Without the sacrifice, there'd be no redemption of sins except through animal sacrifice, which in today's world, would be no more because we'd have wiped out the animal population.  (my opinion)

It wasn't just so people could see; 'hey! look at me, I can die and live again.. That means I can do that for you too!!!'.  No, it was a needed action in order for redemption through Christ to be possible.  Just like the one soldier dying so the other can live.  If that first soldier didn't die, the other would not have lived. 

Christians obviously twist it that way, but it is still a distortion of reality. It was a totally unnecessary and pointless action, which was just a perpetuation of the ancient blood sacrifice meme.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:There is no

BobSpence1 wrote:

There is no point in the sacrifice, it's all quite irrational.

It's just as irrational as a criminal jumping on a parol opportunity.

BobSpence1 wrote:

No-one 'has to pay the full penalty'. If the person originally guilty of causing some harm doesn't get to pay the full penalty, absolutely nothing is served by having someone or something else suffer.

Does everyone die?  According to the Bible, that is a penalty of sin.

BobSpence1 wrote:

So its STILL a ritual way to try and offset the guilt feeling by a totally irrational mechanism that may work psychologically in people who swallow the particular myth.

... or magnify it.

I guess you'll see it the way you want to see it.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Except that my observation strongly suggests that it is a gradual realization of the total irrationality and illogic of the Bible and Xian doctrine in general, its almost total conflict with all we are discovering about "Life, the Universe, and Everything", is what has people abandoning childhood beliefs.

It's funny you worded it just like that.  I've heard the same exact arguement on the opposing side.  So where do we go from here? 

BobSpence1 wrote:

Thanks at least partly to a sceptical father I never saw anything in it.

My mother was a conventional believer who sent me to Sunday School and some occasional religious presentations, but it never worked on me, and she eventually gave up.

All do respect to your mother, but if that's all she did, of course that wasn't going to 'work' on you. Information means nothing without understanding. 

BobSpence1 wrote:

Christians obviously twist it that way, but it is still a distortion of reality. It was a totally unnecessary and pointless action, which was just a perpetuation of the ancient blood sacrifice meme.

Of course, reality to you is a godless universe.  The problem is Christians have not twisted or distorted anything.  It was originally written that way.  Nothing changed.  Christians did not write the laws that Christ was fulfilling. 
As far as your perception of a distortion of reality, I know reality is such to a person until they know better.  Then their reality is changed.  If you're so sure of your reality, convince me of it.  I am on here with an open mind in the strictest form of the definition.  I will expect emperical reasoning just as everyone expects of me. 

If you want me at all to try and convince you of my reality, I'm open and willing to answer any question you bring my way to the best of my ability.  If it's a question I can't answer myself.  I have reliable and knowlegeable sources I can refer to. 

Just understand I'm not on here to change your mind.  That is your choice.  There's a reason I don't preach on here. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:jcgadfly

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:
Quote:

???

The definition of faith is; "confidence or trust in a person or thing"  (Definition 1, dictionary.com)

Where does it say that God asks for people to suspend reason?

The Bible - Hebrews 11:1 - "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" (NIV)

This passage describes belief without (or in spite of) evidence.

It always interests me when theists go to the dictionary when the Bible doesn't suit you.

— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cappy, I wonder if you read

Cappy, I wonder if you read about Pineapple's final admission that the universe was not a consciousness.

You don't understand the concept of NAKED ASSERTION!

You don't understand that your concept of a god has/had the same element of bullshit that Pineapple was claiming.

Here is the commonality,

"Thinking can exist outside the physical brain"

Pineapple was claiming that the universe could do it, even though it is not a human brain. Hokey super natural CRAP!

YOU, a being with no physical brain, or material brain magically manipulates the universe.

BOTH OF YOU postulated a non material invisible brain without any semblance of replicating or falsifying such a claim.

YOU BOTH have as much evidence for your naked assertions as the idiots who claimed that Thor made lighting.

I am glad Pineapple was able to escape this mental trap you are still stuck in.

WE KNOW WHAT A MATERIAL BRAIN LOOKS LIKE. WE CAN PROVE THAT A MATERIAL BRAIN EXISTS.

YOU have no more evidence for your claims of invisible superman brains as any Muslim or Hindu.

You have as much evidence for the Christian invisible brain that floats out there somewhere as the Ancient Egyptians falsely thought that the sun was a thinking brain.

Give it up Cappy. The earth was not made in 6 days. Jesus was not born a virgin any more than he cured blindness or escaped rigor mortis.

WHAT WE DO KNOW in human history is that people like stories of invisible super heros that don't exist.

You lose Cappy. Shouting that Harry Potter is real doesn't make him real.  Shout that fiction isn't fiction until your blue in the face wont make it fact.

There is no such thing as a thinking being that has no body.  There is no such thing as invisable brains. It is merely your wishful thinking in wanting your fictional super hero to swoop you off the tracks.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Christians did not

Quote:
Christians did not write the laws that Christ was fulfilling.

Christians, like all religions, looked at prior religions to create their spin off. It does not take invisible sky friends humans make up, to do common sense things like not steal or kill your neighbor. The sense of empathy is not magic and didn't need the polythistic gods prior to monotheism, nor does it need a monotheistic god.

Hero worship is not new to humanity and claiming to be a moral lawgiver is also not new to Christianity. The motif of "I have the inside track to moral authority through divinity" has been around since the first forms of gods were uttered.

Again Cappy, spin it all you want, in the end you still believe in a brain with no brain, no body, no material, no neurons, nothing, floating out there in the cosmos somewhere and nowhere.

What DOES MAKE sense is that WE KNOW humans are capable of believing in super heros that are not real. But somehow you seem to think you have escaped the same human flaw other people with other beliefs have not.

If you don't need Allah to know to obey the posted speed limit, why would you need any super hero to tell you robbing your neighbor is wrong?

The Bible was written in an unscientific past in based on prior religions at time when super hero worship was the norm for all of humanity. How you think you magically got it right when all others got it wrong is absurd. Your god claim is in the same boat as the Egyptians once thinking the sun was a thinking being.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:The Bible -

jcgadfly wrote:

The Bible - Hebrews 11:1 - "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" (NIV)

This passage describes belief without (or in spite of) evidence.

It always interests me when theists go to the dictionary when the Bible doesn't suit you.

I'll answer your question logically.  Unless you're looking directly at the Greek or Hebrew and fully understand or comprehend the context and language structure used, you tend to need to clarify what isn't explained in English through other means. 

Beyond that, how does one become "certain of what they do not see" without evidence? 

Beyond even that.  When did I say the Bible didn't suit me?  I usually use other means to explain something on here because the Bible from what I understand generally isn't accepted as a reliable source by most I talk to.  Are you an exception to that?  If so, I'll take note.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Cappy, I

Brian37 wrote:

Cappy, I wonder if you read about Pineapple's final admission that the universe was not a consciousness.

not that i can think of

Brian37 wrote:

You don't understand the concept of NAKED ASSERTION!

that's what you've tried to tell me.

Brian37 wrote:

You don't understand that your concept of a god has/had the same element of bullshit that Pineapple was claiming.

Here is the commonality,

"Thinking can exist outside the physical brain"

Pineapple was claiming that the universe could do it, even though it is not a human brain. Hokey super natural CRAP!

YOU, a being with no physical brain, or material brain magically manipulates the universe.

BOTH OF YOU postulated a non material invisible brain without any semblance of replicating or falsifying such a claim.

I have asked you what you would accept.  The problem is, you keep presenting me with a need for phyisical evidence for a metaphysical being.  Explain the logic in that.

Brian37 wrote:

YOU BOTH have as much evidence for your naked assertions as the idiots who claimed that Thor made lighting.

I am glad Pineapple was able to escape this mental trap you are still stuck in.

Or could you be stuck in a mental trap? 

Nah, couldn't be, there's no possible way that anything exists beyond the phyiscal becuase there's no physical evidence to prove that there's anything in existance that's not physical....

Brian37 wrote:

WE KNOW WHAT A MATERIAL BRAIN LOOKS LIKE. WE CAN PROVE THAT A MATERIAL BRAIN EXISTS.

YOU have no more evidence for your claims of invisible superman brains as any Muslim or Hindu.

good comparison there

Brian37 wrote:

You have as much evidence for the Christian invisible brain that floats out there somewhere as the Ancient Egyptians falsely thought that the sun was a thinking brain.

Give it up Cappy. The earth was not made in 6 days. Jesus was not born a virgin any more than he cured blindness or escaped rigor mortis.

Interesting, you really don't pay attention do ya.  If you did, you'd know I don't believe the Earth was created in 6 days.  It's possible you forgot.  Not really a relevent point to the topic.

Brian37 wrote:

WHAT WE DO KNOW in human history is that people like stories of invisible super heros that don't exist.

You lose Cappy. Shouting that Harry Potter is real doesn't make him real.  Shout that fiction isn't fiction until your blue in the face wont make it fact.

which is why i try to work with you on coming up with a way of showing you what I know.  It's also why I'm so willing to take any peice of evidence you may have to show me how "delusional" I must be.  After all this time... I'm still waiting. 

Brian37 wrote:

There is no such thing as a thinking being that has no body.  There is no such thing as invisable brains. It is merely your wishful thinking in wanting your fictional super hero to swoop you off the tracks.

Honestly, answer me this.  If a believer shouting to you that God is real with no real support for the claim isn't going to convince you, then why would you think that the same approach would work with me? 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Christians,

Brian37 wrote:

Christians, like all religions, looked at prior religions to create their spin off. It does not take invisible sky friends humans make up, to do common sense things like not steal or kill your neighbor. The sense of empathy is not magic and didn't need the polythistic gods prior to monotheism, nor does it need a monotheistic god.

Hero worship is not new to humanity and claiming to be a moral lawgiver is also not new to Christianity. The motif of "I have the inside track to moral authority through divinity" has been around since the first forms of gods were uttered.

And so the Bible claims.  See Genesis.

Brian37 wrote:

Again Cappy, spin it all you want, in the end you still believe in a brain with no brain, no body, no material, no neurons, nothing, floating out there in the cosmos somewhere and nowhere.

Do you not see the trap yet?  If you can't touch it, it can't be real in your mind... and yet there's still forces out there you can't touch or see and you still believe they exist because you see their effect and know exactly what that force does.  Why is it different with metaphysical being?  The only thing I can think of is because God is not a constant and therefore cannot be tested based on a constant due to the idea of choice on God's part. 

Therefore, through the science you know that is designed to measure either phyisical or comprehend metaphysical forces through their effect on the physical by a constant understanding that they do not change, God cannot be real.  You fail to take into consideration the science you base life on was never designed to measure a metaphysical being. 

So I'll ask you again, logically, what would you need to know or understand to consider the idea of a metaphysical being.  Even beyond the christian God, just the idea that there could possibly be a metaphysical being. 

Brian37 wrote:

What DOES MAKE sense is that WE KNOW humans are capable of believing in super heros that are not real. But somehow you seem to think you have escaped the same human flaw other people with other beliefs have not.

If you don't need Allah to know to obey the posted speed limit, why would you need any super hero to tell you robbing your neighbor is wrong?

So the idea that we know people have an imagination is your evidence that God can't be real...  Well... at least you're trying.

Brian37 wrote:

The Bible was written in an unscientific past in based on prior religions at time when super hero worship was the norm for all of humanity. How you think you magically got it right when all others got it wrong is absurd. Your god claim is in the same boat as the Egyptians once thinking the sun was a thinking being.

I think there are millions of others and even billions in history that have gotten it right.  Where you get the concept that I think I'm the only one that has figured it out is perplexing to me. 

I can see where you're coming from, but unfortunately basing your conclusion off of the idea that if you can't touch it it can't be real doesn't really give you much of a leg to stand on. 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:  Honestly,

caposkia wrote:

Honestly, answer me this.  If a believer shouting to you that God is real with no real support for the claim isn't going to convince you, then why would you think that the same approach would work with me? 

Exactly.  Which causes me to wonder why after more than a thousand posts this futile and profoundly unproductive thread continues to exist. 

ps, look up the definition of "deadlocked"

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Caposkia are you sure you want to appeal

caposkia wrote:

Do you not see the trap yet?  If you can't touch it, it can't be real in your mind... and yet there's still forces out there you can't touch or see and you still believe they exist because you see their effect and know exactly what that force does.  Why is it different with metaphysical being?  The only thing I can think of is because God is not a constant and therefore cannot be tested based on a constant due to the idea of choice on God's part. 

Therefore, through the science you know that is designed to measure either phyisical or comprehend metaphysical forces through their effect on the physical by a constant understanding that they do not change, God cannot be real.  You fail to take into consideration the science you base life on was never designed to measure a metaphysical being. 

So I'll ask you again, logically, what would you need to know or understand to consider the idea of a metaphysical being.  Even beyond the christian God, just the idea that there could possibly be a metaphysical being. 

to the metaphysical without being prepared to change your position completely based on whatever facts can or cannot be discerned? Would you say your position really is open to change?

And could you define what you mean when you say 'metaphysical being'.

Could you explain how it's possible to use the laws of this universe to prove or infer any being exists that is 'metaphysical', a term I am going to interpret as meaning outside of physical laws?

How can we even begin to talk about a metaphysical being and how could a being not of this universe and outside its laws influence or be part of this universe in any way?

The only logic you can appeal to here is the dubious logic of the first cause which is unprovable and open to debate, given that it had to have happened outside this universe and we have no

way of knowing whether or not such a place can or does exist.

And another thing. You can't compare laws like gravity which we can't see but can clearly prove as being the attraction of one body in space to another - to an all powerful metaphysical being

who made the universe and wants to be our special friend.

P.S. In the post I'm quoting here you are starting to sound a bit like Morpheus. Cool but kind of spooky...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

And so the Bible claims.  See Genesis.

Brian37 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

So the idea that we know people have an imagination is your evidence that God can't be real...  Well... at least you're trying.

Brian37 wrote:

I think there are millions of others and even billions in history that have gotten it right.  Where you get the concept that I think I'm the only one that has figured it out is perplexing to me. 

I can see where you're coming from, but unfortunately basing your conclusion off of the idea that if you can't touch it it can't be real doesn't really give you much of a leg to stand on. 

And all the bible claims came from prior superstitions.

Ok if we are going to go by popularity they everyone should believe in Allah because Islam has the most in numbers. How can all those people be wrong? For the same reason most of the worlds population was wrong in thinking the earth was flat.

Quote:
if you can't touch it it can't be real doesn't really give you much of a leg to stand on.

Then by that standard everything ever uttered out of a human mouth is true by default.

No, we can certainly prove things we cant see. Quarks for example are mathmatically proven to exist. The Hubble Space telescope has given us pictures of galaxies we couldn't see with regular telescopes.

IF you cant test , replicate it or falsify it, there is no good reason to hold that position.

There is no such thing as a disembodied super magical brain with no neurons or cerebellum, by any name. Apollo, Thor, Ra, Vishnu or Jebus.

WHAT WE DO KNOW and have plenty of evidence of is human behavior. Humans have always had a history of making up these super heros and believing them to be fact. You thinking you have magically escaped this common human flaw is miffing to me.

Just because you like your Jesus myth does not mean adult women magically pop out of a mans rib. The earth is billions of years old and was not made in 6 days.

The Bible is no more a science book or history book than Harry Potter is. Just because it is popular doesn't make invisible magical super beings real. It just means people like the idea of having a super hero.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
The entire bible from

The entire bible from beginning to end is full of magical absurdities. But Genesis is just as fun to laugh at as far as it's comic book claims.

Creates the earth in 6 days. WRONG AND ABSURD. The earth is billions of years old and was not created in 6 days.

Adult women do not magically pop out of a man's rib.

Plants evolved and did not "poof" magically appear in mature form without photosythisis(sp).

The writers of the Bible HAD NO CLUE that the moon reflected sunlight. It is obvious in their writing treating moonlight as a separate source.

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/gen/1.html

I am sorry you cant face facts. There is nothing credible about the Bible. It is nothing more than the invention of a human cult and just because super hero worship is popular in our species does not mean your god claim, or any deity claim is true, past or present.

We know what a brain is, we know what neurons are, we know what a cerebellum is. YOU have absolutely no evidence, much less for your comic book, that a magical invisible brain floats out there in the cosmos meddling in human affairs.

YOU GOT IT WRONG, Muslims got it wrong. Hindus got it wrong. The Ancient Egyptians got it wrong. Jews got it wrong. MAGICAL BEINGS WITH NO BODY ARE A PRODUCT OF HUMAN IMAGINATION!

IF you want to claim invisible beings exist, go work on finding it's genes. Go work on finding it's neurons. Go work on finding it's location. I would challenge anyone with any deity claim to do the same, not just you. Making up shit doesn't prove a damned thing.

Humans have always had a history of making shit up and believing it because they like the idea of a super hero. YOU are not special and Christianity is not special. You are a product of your environment and could have easily believed in another deity claim if born somewhere else or born at a different point in human history.

AGAIN what we do know, is that people can and do make shit up that is patently absurd and false. YOU are not special, your claims are not special and the Bible is not special. The Koran is not special. Muslims are not special.

BEINGS WITH NO BODY OR PHYSICAL BRAIN ARE ALL ABSURD CLAIMS, JUST AS ABSURD AS CLAIMING THE SUN WAS A THINKING BEING.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

caposkia wrote:

Exactly.  Which causes me to wonder why after more than a thousand posts this futile and profoundly unproductive thread continues to exist. 

ps, look up the definition of "deadlocked"

The difference here is, I've asked people on here logically what they would accept.  Most have ignored the question, some have asked for physical proof. (not logical to ask for physical proof for a metaphysical understanding) Just doesn't work.   any scientist would agree with that logic.  I can count on one hand those who actually made an effort to figure something out that they'd accept.  Those people are still asking logical questions.

So i guess ultimately, you should ask yourself.  Why are you still here?  Why others?  If it's as "deadlocked" as you say, what are you saying about the intelligence of those who are still talking to me?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
What proof would I accept,

What proof would I accept, cap?

Something occurring where the only possible source would be your God.

If your God is metaphysical, he's beyond proving (or knowledge for that matter). Why do you claim a personal relationship with what is unknowable?

— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: to

Atheistextremist wrote:

to the metaphysical without being prepared to change your position completely based on whatever facts can or cannot be discerned? Would you say your position really is open to change?

if I understand you correctly, from day one, I have challenged people on here to show me why my understanding is flawed and have repeatedly expressed an open mind to any and all information sent my way that is contradictory to what I know. 

Atheistextremist wrote:

And could you define what you mean when you say 'metaphysical being'.

A being that is outside (or not) what we understand to be "phyiscal" or made of matter, has a mass, etc...

Atheistextremist wrote:

Could you explain how it's possible to use the laws of this universe to prove or infer any being exists that is 'metaphysical', a term I am going to interpret as meaning outside of physical laws?

That could be a very extensive response.  I suggest you seek out "God according to God".  This book is written by a renouned physicist.(Gerald L. Schroeder)  He takes interesting perspectives on what we understand to be real as well as new perspectives on many Biblical concepts.  Many I haven't considered before myself but they still support what I understand to be true. 

If you have a specific take on that question, i'd love to try and tackle it for you. 

Atheistextremist wrote:

How can we even begin to talk about a metaphysical being and how could a being not of this universe and outside its laws influence or be part of this universe in any way?

It is understood that he created everything we know to be tangeible.  If he is in fact the creator, it's very easy to consider this beings influence in it.  Again, that book tackles this idea.  It's partly looking into the mechanics of it all, understanding conciousness from a scientific perspective and tying it into what we precieve to be real and what we found out is real in science... etc.  Many angles again could be taken with this answer. 

Atheistextremist wrote:

The only logic you can appeal to here is the dubious logic of the first cause which is unprovable and open to debate, given that it had to have happened outside this universe and we have no

way of knowing whether or not such a place can or does exist.

By place, I'm assuming you mean "heaven".  It's a common misconception and a big mistake from a theological perspective to even try to consider heaven a location or a tangeable place. 

Atheistextremist wrote:

And another thing. You can't compare laws like gravity which we can't see but can clearly prove as being the attraction of one body in space to another - to an all powerful metaphysical being

who made the universe and wants to be our special friend.

Special friend is an interesting perspective and only been taken by people on this site from what I've seen. 

I compare gravity only to the fact that you can't touch it or take a sample of it and yet you still feel and sense its effects.  I know from your perspective you don't feel or see the effects of God, but then again from my perspective, I understand that you may just not recognize them and assume that what you see is caused by something else.  (This isn't in reference to anything specific, but any possibility of spiritual influence that you may have seen)

Atheistextremist wrote:

P.S. In the post I'm quoting here you are starting to sound a bit like Morpheus. Cool but kind of spooky...

So how deep does the rabbit hole go?

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:  So i guess

caposkia wrote:

So i guess ultimately, you should ask yourself.  Why are you still here?  Why others?  If it's as "deadlocked" as you say, what are you saying about the intelligence of those who are still talking to me?

Deadlocked, as in no measurable progress is being made by either side .....despite the obvious fact that a monumental effort has been expended in defense of the competing viewpoints.  It has become a very long discourse that has failed to rise above a "yes it is !!"   versus "no it isn't !!" type of exchange.

A reasonable observer would conclude that a stalemate had been reached. And if you still maintain this thread doesn't meet that requirement then all I can say is continue arguing for another year and then ask yourself if it still doesn't fit that description.

( ps, if other atheists wish to continue arguing with you, ...and you with them....then that is your prerogative.   I see no need to  continue  treading endlessly over the same ground.  Have fun. )

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
How deep does the rabbit

How deep does the rabbit hole go, cap?

You tell me, you made the God.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:And all the

Brian37 wrote:

And all the bible claims came from prior superstitions.

Be it that it is not known the original dates of the stories not only written, but told, there is no support for that claim.

Brian37 wrote:

Ok if we are going to go by popularity they everyone should believe in Allah because Islam has the most in numbers. How can all those people be wrong? For the same reason most of the worlds population was wrong in thinking the earth was flat.

Ok,  BTW, if you do the research Allah and the Chirstian/Jewish God are the same God.  The difference is each believes in being a decendent of a different child of Abraham and also believe in different prophets from that God.  Muslims regard Jesus Christ as a prophet, but Muhammad as THEE prophet.

Brian37 wrote:

Then by that standard everything ever uttered out of a human mouth is true by default.

that would be the unresearched conclusion.

Brian37 wrote:

No, we can certainly prove things we cant see. Quarks for example are mathmatically proven to exist. The Hubble Space telescope has given us pictures of galaxies we couldn't see with regular telescopes.

But in order for those things to be "proven" to you, you must have had faith in the source. 

Brian37 wrote:

IF you cant test , replicate it or falsify it, there is no good reason to hold that position.

Agreed.   I know your point of view here is that believers can't test, replicate or falsify God.  yet millions around the world have discovered God through a replicated process by testing the same method others before them have to come to the same conclusion.

Brian37 wrote:

There is no such thing as a disembodied super magical brain with no neurons or cerebellum, by any name. Apollo, Thor, Ra, Vishnu or Jebus.

Such a matter of fact statement as I've said before needs support to be valid.

Brian37 wrote:

WHAT WE DO KNOW and have plenty of evidence of is human behavior. Humans have always had a history of making up these super heros and believing them to be fact. You thinking you have magically escaped this common human flaw is miffing to me.

We have plenty of evidences about humans because that's what we are.  For you to think that because people are capable and have made up myths everything that doesn't seem real or that isn't fully understood can't be real is miffing to me. 

Brian37 wrote:

Just because you like your Jesus myth does not mean adult women magically pop out of a mans rib. The earth is billions of years old and was not made in 6 days.

Where've you been?  I've established that I dont' believe the Earth was created in 6 days, though time is not a constant and therefore is a poor measurement for how long it did actually take and therefore is a poor exuse on your part to dismiss the idea.

It's a shame that just because you see Jesus as a myth you automatically assume that there is no God. 

Brian37 wrote:

The Bible is no more a science book or history book than Harry Potter is. Just because it is popular doesn't make invisible magical super beings real. It just means people like the idea of having a super hero.

Right, popularity means nothing.  If it was popularity I was basing my belief on, then I do believe I'd be a Muslim. 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:The entire

Brian37 wrote:

The entire bible from beginning to end is full of magical absurdities. But Genesis is just as fun to laugh at as far as it's comic book claims.

Sure... if you don't consider the context.

Brian37 wrote:

Creates the earth in 6 days. WRONG AND ABSURD. The earth is billions of years old and was not created in 6 days.

followers accept this.  If you look into the Hebrew, it's a representation of a period of time and not days as we understand it.  For someone so scientific and in such a real state of mind, you make a lot of assumptions to support your belief.

Brian37 wrote:

Adult women do not magically pop out of a man's rib.

The Bible never claimed it magically happened.... and woman didn't actually "pop out" of a man's rib in the Bible. 

If you want to get critical of specific Genesis claims, I'm a part of another forum that's doing just that.  See you there. (myths, legends and parables of the OT) something like that. I can't remember exactly what he titled it.

Brian37 wrote:

Plants evolved and did not "poof" magically appear in mature form without photosythisis(sp).

who says they did?  Sure the Bible quickly states that God created plants and this and that... does it really explain the detail that much?  Or is it another assumption on your part due to lack of detail on how it all was created.  (maybe you missed the part where it says; "and let the Earth bring forth...)  ya know... possibly suggesting they grew from the ground and didn't poof into existance.  btw, is there a lot of *poofing* happening in your brain?  Smoke another one.

Brian37 wrote:

The writers of the Bible HAD NO CLUE that the moon reflected sunlight. It is obvious in their writing treating moonlight as a separate source.

Ah, got me there.  So the ignorance of the Bible writers on the science of the universe is solid proof that there is no God!!!! EURIKA!!!!

Brian37 wrote:

I am sorry you cant face facts. There is nothing credible about the Bible. It is nothing more than the invention of a human cult and just because super hero worship is popular in our species does not mean your god claim, or any deity claim is true, past or present.

I agree with you that 'just because hero worship is popular in our species does not mean my god claim is true'.  You claim there's nothing credible about the Bible but so far in this post there's nothing credible about what you've said.  All you've shown is a lack of research and logic. e.g. (God can't be real because Bible writers didn't understand the science of the moon) 

Brian37 wrote:

We know what a brain is, we know what neurons are, we know what a cerebellum is. YOU have absolutely no evidence, much less for your comic book, that a magical invisible brain floats out there in the cosmos meddling in human affairs.

Many people claim that, but when I ask them what evidence they would "logically" like for that, they're pretty mute.  I have evidences.  The question is, what evidence would you accept?  Are you going to stay mute or continue with some we've discussed a while back.

Brian37 wrote:

YOU GOT IT WRONG, Muslims got it wrong. Hindus got it wrong. The Ancient Egyptians got it wrong. Jews got it wrong. MAGICAL BEINGS WITH NO BODY ARE A PRODUCT OF HUMAN IMAGINATION!

yes, you must have sources for such a matter of fact statement!

Brian37 wrote:

IF you want to claim invisible beings exist, go work on finding it's genes. Go work on finding it's neurons. Go work on finding it's location. I would challenge anyone with any deity claim to do the same, not just you. Making up shit doesn't prove a damned thing.

I love how you continue to claim that people are "making shit up". and yet you do so much of that just to prove your point.

Explain the logic in trying to find genes, neurons or locations of any metaphysical being.  I'm not asking if you believe in metaphysical beings, but assuming they exist just for a moment, please explain the logic in trying to find their genes and neurons... look up metaphysical if you don't understand what I'm getting at.

Brian37 wrote:

Humans have always had a history of making shit up and believing it because they like the idea of a super hero. YOU are not special and Christianity is not special. You are a product of your environment and could have easily believed in another deity claim if born somewhere else or born at a different point in human history.

...and I had opened my mind to that option, including accepting the fact that there might not be a God, so why do I still believe?  Again, good logic on the idea that because people have a history of making things up, God can't be real. 

People lie, therefore God's not real.... nice logic.

Brian37 wrote:

AGAIN what we do know, is that people can and do make shit up that is patently absurd and false. YOU are not special, your claims are not special and the Bible is not special. The Koran is not special. Muslims are not special.

BEINGS WITH NO BODY OR PHYSICAL BRAIN ARE ALL ABSURD CLAIMS, JUST AS ABSURD AS CLAIMING THE SUN WAS A THINKING BEING.

What is your basis for conclusion?  Is it only that it doesn't make sense in your mind or that physical evidences haven't been presented to you yet... physical evidences mind you of a metaphysical being?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:What proof

jcgadfly wrote:

If your God is metaphysical, he's beyond proving (or knowledge for that matter). Why do you claim a personal relationship with what is unknowable?

just because I can't fully comprehend God doesn't mean I can't have a relationship with him. 

e.g. children cannot fully comprehend their parents and all that they are, but they still know that they are their parents and that they love them.

Your perspective seems to be that because God is beyond human comprehension, I could not possibly even know a spec of who he is, yet that's not logical.  The Bible has many descriptions of the personality of God and what type of being he is.  What is incomprehensible is the sheer being of God himself.  He's much bigger than we could comprehend mainly because we can't even comprehend our whole universe... something the Bible claims He created.  If we couldn't comprehend one of God's biggest creations, how could we comprehend the being of God? 

So the proof you'd accept is something occuring where the only possible source would be my God.  Great, now we're getting somewhere.  The question is, would you accept another's word on it, or would you have to experience it yourself.  If you'd accept another's word, I have many situations for you.  If you need to experience it yourself, then all I have to say is keep an eye out. 

The problem with people is we always have to have an answer.  So if something happens that we can't explain, we will make up an answer until we can explain it.  In most cases, the answer is that it didn't happen.  Usually the ones who hear about it but didn't experience it say that.  It's an easy and logical conclusion.  To the ones that see it, if they don't believe in God, may try to come up with a theory and conclude... even though it's only a theory that theory has to be the answer until better knowlege of the phenomenon comes by thus still concluding with an answer.  Right or wrong it doesn't matter because at least there's an answer that person is comfortable with.  Takes faith, but many people would rather have faith in a theory than in God. 

So the question comes down to;

If you actually see an effect of God, will you create your own theory and conclude that eventually science will have an answer for it and be happy with that.  Will you dismiss it as not actually happening or maybe even illusion?  Or will you consider for a moment that an outside source could have caused that?  Better yet, will you dismiss it as ironic as many do? 

Simply, there's easy excuses for what people see but can't explain.  How will you approach unexplained happenings?  I'm curious of your take on it

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:   

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Deadlocked, as in no measurable progress is being made by either side .....despite the obvious fact that a monumental effort has been expended in defense of the competing viewpoints.  It has become a very long discourse that has failed to rise above a "yes it is !!"   versus "no it isn't !!" type of exchange.

which is how it's been for centuries.  The question is, are people willing to step out of their comfort zone to try something new.  It's what I've been trying for quite a while on here.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

A reasonable observer would conclude that a stalemate had been reached. And if you still maintain this thread doesn't meet that requirement then all I can say is continue arguing for another year and then ask yourself if it still doesn't fit that description.

Oh, just to fill you in, I cried stalemate a long time ago on this forum.  Thing is, people still talk.  I'm willing to play along.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

( ps, if other atheists wish to continue arguing with you, ...and you with them....then that is your prerogative.   I see no need to  continue  treading endlessly over the same ground.  Have fun. )

I'm willing to cover new ground with anyone that wants to make progress.  Some have started new forums with me.  Many on this site seem to like redundancy and baseless arguements.  Others still ask legitimate and good questions.  Some like you just prefer to walk away and give up.  Either way.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:How deep does

jcgadfly wrote:

How deep does the rabbit hole go, cap?

You tell me, you made the God.

I did?!  Wow, so I'm going down in history like all the others?!.... sweeeeet!!!!

Or is it you that made up the fantasy that you're in control?  I guess you chose the other pill Eye-wink

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:jcgadfly

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

just because I can't fully comprehend God doesn't mean I can't have a relationship with him. 

e.g. children cannot fully comprehend their parents and all that they are, but they still know that they are their parents and that they love them.

Your perspective seems to be that because God is beyond human comprehension, I could not possibly even know a spec of who he is, yet that's not logical.  The Bible has many descriptions of the personality of God and what type of being he is.  What is incomprehensible is the sheer being of God himself.  He's much bigger than we could comprehend mainly because we can't even comprehend our whole universe... something the Bible claims He created.  If we couldn't comprehend one of God's biggest creations, how could we comprehend the being of God? 

So the proof you'd accept is something occuring where the only possible source would be my God.  Great, now we're getting somewhere.  The question is, would you accept another's word on it, or would you have to experience it yourself.  If you'd accept another's word, I have many situations for you.  If you need to experience it yourself, then all I have to say is keep an eye out. 

The problem with people is we always have to have an answer.  So if something happens that we can't explain, we will make up an answer until we can explain it.  In most cases, the answer is that it didn't happen.  Usually the ones who hear about it but didn't experience it say that.  It's an easy and logical conclusion.  To the ones that see it, if they don't believe in God, may try to come up with a theory and conclude... even though it's only a theory that theory has to be the answer until better knowlege of the phenomenon comes by thus still concluding with an answer.  Right or wrong it doesn't matter because at least there's an answer that person is comfortable with.  Takes faith, but many people would rather have faith in a theory than in God. 

So the question comes down to;

If you actually see an effect of God, will you create your own theory and conclude that eventually science will have an answer for it and be happy with that.  Will you dismiss it as not actually happening or maybe even illusion?  Or will you consider for a moment that an outside source could have caused that?  Better yet, will you dismiss it as ironic as many do? 

Simply, there's easy excuses for what people see but can't explain.  How will you approach unexplained happenings?  I'm curious of your take on it

First, make up your mind. Is he unknowable or not able to be fully understood? You like to use both interchangeably and they have different meanings.

Would you accept my word for it alone if I made an extraordinary claim? Of course you wouldn't. Nor would I. I would not need to experience it but there would need to be objective proof that it happened.

It seems to me that the only people who need answers to everything are the ones who are using "God did it" instead of "I don't know yet." I will approach unexplained happenings by looking for explanations - If I can come up with a plausible explanation (as non-scientific as I am) then it can't be of divine origin.

How about you? Do you stop at "God did it" as your first and only option?

— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cap, I am going to keep

Cap, I am going to keep drilling it into your head.

THIS IS WHAT YOU BELIEVE!

Invisible immaterial non-physical, magical super brain exists. THAT IS WHAT YOU BELIEVE.

That is what Muslims believe TOO, the myths are different and the names are different but the MOTIF is the same. You worship a fictional super hero.

You believe this super brain with no body, no neurons, no cerebellum, floats out there in the cosmos everywhere and nowhere at the same time. THAT IS WHAT YOU BELIEVE!

You might as well believe that George Washington can fart a Lamborghini out of his ass.

A naked assertion is a naked assertion, and all you have is a naked assertion.

If others want to dwell on your Dungeons and Dragons details, they can, but Dungeon's and Dragons is no different than Harry Potter.

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Cap, I am

Brian37 wrote:

Invisible immaterial non-physical, magical super brain exists. THAT IS WHAT YOU BELIEVE.

That is what Muslims believe TOO, the myths are different and the names are different but the MOTIF is the same. You worship a fictional super hero.

You believe this super brain with no body, no neurons, no cerebellum, floats out there in the cosmos everywhere and nowhere at the same time. THAT IS WHAT YOU BELIEVE!

You might as well believe that George Washington can fart a Lamborghini out of his ass.

If others want to dwell on your Dungeons and Dragons details, they can, but Dungeon's and Dragons is no different than Harry Potter.

Sounds about right to me LMAO at creationist ie: a mind without a brain

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Adventfred wrote:Brian37

Adventfred wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Sounds like a Billy Idol song,

You're a mind without a brain

You make your fans insane

It's a nice day for a FALLACY! START AGAIN!(Ok, I know, mixing songs here)

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:First, make

jcgadfly wrote:

First, make up your mind. Is he unknowable or not able to be fully understood? You like to use both interchangeably and they have different meanings.

Sorry, I didn't mean to use both so interchangeably.  Of course if by literal defintion if he was "unknowable" then there would be no logical way I could claim to follow him... It would also make the Gospels quite invalid be it that Jesus claims that if you know Him you know God. 

Therefore, forgive me if I use "unknowable" again.  What I mean to say is not able to be fully understood.

jcgadfly wrote:

Would you accept my word for it alone if I made an extraordinary claim? Of course you wouldn't. Nor would I. I would not need to experience it but there would need to be objective proof that it happened.

Depends on what you meant by extraordinary claim.  Of course if you claim you farted a lambroghini out of your ass, sheer physics doesn't make that logical.  I've concluded that even the "amazing" things that are claimed in the Bible, most of them I believe God did within the limits of the rules he put in place in nature.  Granted that is an opinion and I could be way off, but it makes sense to me that he would, otherwise, the outcome could be catestrophic. 

That's where the "too ironic to be ironic" situation comes in.  Just because it may be explainable, doesn't mean it wasn't divine intervention.... On the other hand, just because we don't know yet doesn't mean it was divine intervention. 

Hold on now for all of you who like to read way too far into a statement.  People who have stuck with me this long know that I don't claim that a bird that crapped on my car on a Tuesday was God's doing because it was a full moon.  There has to be considerable circumstances to even consider that a possibility. 

I completely understand your perspective that you'd need proof that it happened.  The question is, if I provided you that proof, would you still try to excuse it as something else? 

The difficulty of "prooving" to you online is reputation.  For example, assuming that I knew you as one who wouldn't make up an outrageous claim just to see if I'd fall for it, I would know that about you if I was friends with you in person.  So if the day came that you made an extraordinary claim, I might have a few questions for you, but I'd consider what you had to say because I'd know you wouldn't just make stuff up.  As far as I can tell, you're a pretty honest person... at least on here.

Brian on the other hand, I'd expect an extraordinary and illogical claim because he has built a reputation to do so on here. 

This is why I left it with "keep your eyes open".  If you think you saw something that you feel I would claim was God's doing, you can ask me and I'll tell you what I think.  You may be surprised that I'd be open to many possibilties yet skeptical of just anything you might pull out of the air. 

jcgadfly wrote:

It seems to me that the only people who need answers to everything are the ones who are using "God did it" instead of "I don't know yet." I will approach unexplained happenings by looking for explanations - If I can come up with a plausible explanation (as non-scientific as I am) then it can't be of divine origin.

The problem with that is if you can explain how it happened, who's to say it still wasn't divine?   As I said, my opinion is that God uses the rules he put in place many times... and why wouldn't He?  

What I was saying before with people always having an answer is anyone can explain anything away.  They may not make much sense, but as long as it make sense in their head, they're going to be convinced that they have the answer.  It's a willingness to step away from the excuses to make sure what you think is right really is.  (Though a few on this site could be categorized into that, I didn't intend that to be pointing fingers at anyone)

jcgadfly wrote:

How about you? Do you stop at "God did it" as your first and only option?

I think you know the answer to that.  Just in case though, the answer is "I never have and I never will"

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Cap, I am

Brian37 wrote:

I believe in a metaphysical God if that's what you were trying to say.... and you don't...

PHEW... glad we got that out of the way

Brian37 wrote:

There it is!!!! lol.  Predictable.  You can't consider anything existing outside the physical.  Its The only realm that you can sense because you yourself are physical.  No consideration for the possibility of stuff you can't sense with your 5 senses actually existing and yet because of that, you'd expect me to believe physical happenings that deny the laws of physics.  I love your logic.  I've gotta admit.  You keep me smiling.  With a brain so strictly physical, one would expect a logical conclusion for belief.

Brian37 wrote:

Thank you for that.  I think we finally agree.  Dungeons and Dragons is no different than Harry Potter. 

Of course I do know what you were trying to get at, but I figured I'd take your statement at face value just as you've done with mine. Eye-wink

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Adventfred

Brian37 wrote:

Adventfred wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Do we possibly have new blood wishing to make a statement?  Or is this just further support for unfounded belief systems.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cap, a couple of things came

Cap, a couple of things came to my mind after reading your post to me and I don't like either.

The first is that it seems like you're giving God a nice little escape route. For example, if someone came to you and said "It's impossible for 5 loaves and 2 fish to feed thousands of people and leave multiple baskets of leftovers and here's why (giving a list of reasons)", you could say "Your explanation of why it couldn't happen doesn't mean it couldn't happen. You just don't understand God fully"

Unfortunately it also brought up a picture of a battered spouse looking up at me with a black eye and a bruised face, saying through bloodied lips and knocked out teeth, "He's not always like this. You just don't understand him like I do".

— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Adventfred wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Do we possibly have new blood wishing to make a statement?  Or is this just further support for unfounded belief systems.

Who's beliefs are unfounded?

Atoms are proven to exist.

Quarks are proven to exist.

Evolution is fact.

Allah is a naked assertion.

Jesus is a naked assertion.

Thor is a naked assertion.

Lets check the score.

Reality ....................1,000,000,000,000

Fantasy....................0

Cap, you have no more evidence for your god claim than any other human in history, past or present. You are in the same boat. Brains with no brain are FANTASY, by any name, your claim or any other. You merely like what you claim because you want a super hero to save you. No different than any other fan of fantasy in human history. Getting stuck on the details misses the point that super heros are a product of human imagination.