The New Atheist Crusaders and their quest for the Unholy Grail

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The New Atheist Crusaders and their quest for the Unholy Grail

Hey all.  It's been a while since I've been on. I appologise, I've been busy. 

The title of this forum is the title of a book I just finished reading.  It's a catchy title, so I figured it'd be a good way to grab someone's attention on here.  The book is written by Becky Garrison. 

If her name doesn't sound familiar, that's fine, it shouldn't.  So why am I wasting your time telling you about this book?  Well, I'm glad you asked.  This is a book written by a True Christian.  HUH?  For all of you who have discussed with me in the past, you understand what I'm talking about and for those of you who haven't you can research my blogs.  Caposkia is my name. 

Anyway, It's written from the viewpoint of how a true Christian feels about of course the atheists in the world today, but more importantly for you, how she feels about Christians in the world. 

This is for all of you arguing with me about how Christians have to be black and white.  How you have to follow a religion and there's nothing outside of religion etc.  She touches on all of this.  I truly think you'll enjoy reading this book and I would like to hear from those of you who have read it if anyone.  If not, I"ll wait till someone finishes it.  It's not a very long book.

When I first came onto this site, I wanted to discuss directly with those who were involved in the infamous television debate that RRS was involved in about the existence of God with Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron.  They didn't have time and the other non-believers I came across were too opinionated to involve themselves in a conversation that made any progress.  Instead I got into other debates which for the most part were a lot of fun, but I digress. 

Becky mentions this debate as well in her book at the end.  This is for all of you on here I've talked to who would not believe me or had other personal issues with the fact that my opinion didn't flow with their idea of a Christian.  I will breifly say that I hold her viewpoint when she says that if she was at that debate, she would have "crawled out of that church in shame. "

Simply put, we both agree that both sides put forth deplorable excuses for their side and did not defend their side succesfully.  I know I know, many of you will disagree and say that RRS did disprove the existance of God in that debate, but enough with the opinions, I'm saying the other side did just as good of a job proving God.  This debate is a poor excuse to not follow Christ and this book talks about those types of Christians.

This book should clarify many misunderstandings of how True Christians are and I hope bring light to a new understanding of our following. 

It is written differently than most books, but is an informational peice and uses a lot of researched information.  It does focus on the "New Atheists" and is not a book preaching to the masses.  As said, it is from the point of  view of a True Christian.

enjoy, let me know your thoughts.  I would also request, please be respectful in your responses.  I'm here to have mature discussions with people. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Why wouldn't

jcgadfly wrote:

Why wouldn't the miracles be considered miracles if we had physical evidence?

1. Because skeptics might find a way to reproduce the trick, through less divine means, casting doubt on the original.

2. Miracles aren't just for show (one of the more frequent claims I hear).

What it comes down to is - Christianity thrives on mystery and secrecy. Christians just like to call it faith.

Not even that. Scientific method used by scientists seeks to solve mysteries. Christianity doesn't seek to solve mysteries, it's believers seek to perpetuate myth. Christianity, like all myth, is a result of effective marketing, not research.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:As I wrote in

jcgadfly wrote:

As I wrote in the parenthetical, it was unnecessary for an omnipotent God to need to fuel forgiveness and salvation with blood. Or are you saying that God is subject to Jewish law? He certainly is not subject to his own edicts - too much evidence exists to the contrary.

Here's the thing though.  Of course God is not "subject to his own laws", but for him to go against them would be for him to break his word, thus making it unfair for those who had to "obide by the law".  This way, God is still holding true to the laws he made and doesn't break any promises, in fact, he shows that he wants everyone to know how much he loves everyone and that there's no separation, therefore He does what he does with Jesus.  To go to that extreme too shows how faithful he is to his followers and how trustworthy He is. 

How many people do you think would respect a God that says... uh... never mind, this isn't working out.  If you want, I'll forgive those who want it now... and uh... the law still applies, but no one needs to be consequenced anymore...  Would you speed more if you knew you would never get pulled over?  Or would you abide by the speed limit laws?   Most... would speed more.

With Jesus, not only does the law still apply, but the consequence is still there, however, Jesus took the consequence for all your lawbreaking upon himself, so your sentence is "paid in full" as long as you can accept that.  To understand that is to understand the love God has for you.  That in turn earns God a great respect in my book. 

jcgadfly wrote:

For me, overcoming death means not being afraid of it. I didn't lose that fear until I stopped being a Christian. My point was a being that could not die would have zero problems overcoming death. Basically God put on a grisly show for his own amusement so he could offer people something that he could have offered whenever he wished. He could also have done it without making people have to kiss his butt forever. A being of unconditional would have no strings on his/her offer. What does that tell you about your God?

It tells me you never knew Him.  No true follower of God kisses his butt.  I can choose to do what I want when I want in life.  Granted there might be real life consequences for my actions like jail time or a broken leg depending on what I choose to do, but I can still do it without having fear of God rejecting me.  What it comes down to is what's really in my heart.  Why was I doing what I was doing?  Anyone who tells you they have to follow X tradition to be a Christian is trying to sell you something.  Anyone who says you can't screw up in life to be a Christian is a hypocrite.

If I skip church this Sunday, I know I'm still just as much a follower of Christ as I would be if I didn't. 

jcgadfly wrote:

So yes, the three day vacation that Jesus took was a cheap entertainment for Yahweh. It gave nothing for nothing and cost absolute, unquestioning obedience for the people who think they're getting something.

Proof that even if God "poofed" something for you, you still wouldn't believe.   Guess God DNA wouldn't be good enough after all.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:caposkia

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

caposkia wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:
So the unnecessary death of Jesus (being omnipotent, God could extend forgiveness without blood sacrifices) was simply to satisfy a sadistic being? He was pleased by the punishment - sounds like good old fashioned blood lust to me. I'm surprised it didn't describe God's erection from watching events unfold.

How hard is it for an eternal, deathless being to "overcome" death?  It cheapens Jesus' sacrifice rather than enriching it.

The death of Jesus was necessary for our salvation.

Now I am the first to admit I have never created a reality in my life. I have no idea how to even start creating one.

But it seems to me one cannot claim to have not only created but to have absolute control over this reality and then declare anything is necessary.

One has absolute control or one does not. Declaring anything is required as a predicate is an arbitrary act of creation of that predicate.

You should be explaining why that god chose to make it a predicate when it had an infinite number of alternates to choose from.

Now I have heard the entire "he wants" riff but if it cannot controls its appetites why should we think it wants us to control ours?

Maybe you should read the Bible first, then ask me these questions.   If you have, then read it again... this time more carefully.  See some of my other posts on this forum as well.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:[What are

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

[What are we superstitious savages? Blood is nothing special. As creation goes it is no different from shit or piss or rocks or water for that matter. I keep getting a rerun of Spike giving Buffy that riff on "It's always blood." Good for entertainment but who in their right mind would take it as anything special?

Let's see, what happens if you don't have shit in your body... um... you're probably pretty content. 

What if you dont' have pee in your body... uh... again, probably content... at least digestively and comfort level pending no other bodily issues.

what if you don't have blood in your body?  You're dead.... yea, but it's nothing special.  Water is the basis for blood and blood carries everything your body needs to survive.  Unless of course life is nothing important.

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

One should not expect much of the jewish god or the christian one for that matter.

same God

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

Of course if one takes them seriously crucifixion was a terrible way to die. It took days. He got off easy because some idiots picked the wrong day. That god isn't really the kind you want. A single father sending his son to earth on a suicide mission. Really weird.

How is it a suicide mission if he can overcome death?  If you could choose to feel the pain he did or walk away, what would you have done?

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

It was a big thing back then. Lots of gods overcame death and there was always a woman involved as his mother, wife or both and they always spent three days in the underworld before returning. They had all the same trappings as this Jesus character.

The prophesies of that happening have been around thousands of years before it happened.   Many have adapted the story to their own culture.

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

So yes, the three day vacation that Jesus took was a cheap entertainment for Yahweh. It gave nothing for nothing and cost absolute, unquestioning obedience for the people who think they're getting something.

Nothing you do will ever bring you happiness forever.  Everything's pointless.  (ref. Ecclesiastes)  How much more must something that can ultimately bring the assurance of eternal happiness be worth?

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

You do have it wrong. Were it not for the evil Judas it would never have happened. That is the clear story in the gospels. Like the Adam and Eve story, some fools came along later and invented some nonsense tradition on the clear narrative of the story.

Stupidity of people has always been the catylist. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:jcgadfly

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

As I wrote in the parenthetical, it was unnecessary for an omnipotent God to need to fuel forgiveness and salvation with blood. Or are you saying that God is subject to Jewish law? He certainly is not subject to his own edicts - too much evidence exists to the contrary.

Here's the thing though.  Of course God is not "subject to his own laws", but for him to go against them would be for him to break his word, thus making it unfair for those who had to "obide by the law".  This way, God is still holding true to the laws he made and doesn't break any promises, in fact, he shows that he wants everyone to know how much he loves everyone and that there's no separation, therefore He does what he does with Jesus.  To go to that extreme too shows how faithful he is to his followers and how trustworthy He is. 

How many people do you think would respect a God that says... uh... never mind, this isn't working out.  If you want, I'll forgive those who want it now... and uh... the law still applies, but no one needs to be consequenced anymore...  Would you speed more if you knew you would never get pulled over?  Or would you abide by the speed limit laws?   Most... would speed more.

With Jesus, not only does the law still apply, but the consequence is still there, however, Jesus took the consequence for all your lawbreaking upon himself, so your sentence is "paid in full" as long as you can accept that.  To understand that is to understand the love God has for you.  That in turn earns God a great respect in my book. 

jcgadfly wrote:

For me, overcoming death means not being afraid of it. I didn't lose that fear until I stopped being a Christian. My point was a being that could not die would have zero problems overcoming death. Basically God put on a grisly show for his own amusement so he could offer people something that he could have offered whenever he wished. He could also have done it without making people have to kiss his butt forever. A being of unconditional would have no strings on his/her offer. What does that tell you about your God?

It tells me you never knew Him.  No true follower of God kisses his butt.  I can choose to do what I want when I want in life.  Granted there might be real life consequences for my actions like jail time or a broken leg depending on what I choose to do, but I can still do it without having fear of God rejecting me.  What it comes down to is what's really in my heart.  Why was I doing what I was doing?  Anyone who tells you they have to follow X tradition to be a Christian is trying to sell you something.  Anyone who says you can't screw up in life to be a Christian is a hypocrite.

If I skip church this Sunday, I know I'm still just as much a follower of Christ as I would be if I didn't. 

jcgadfly wrote:

Proof that even if God "poofed" something for you, you still wouldn't believe.   Guess God DNA wouldn't be good enough after all.

1. Did you really just call your God an oath-breaker? Or are you saying that the laws he gave to us are only for us and he is a law unto himself? We are condemned for failing moral laws that He can't follow. Where's the justice in that?

2. I'm impressed. I know many Christians who don't obey God and still claim the title but you are the first that has ever said that you don't have to obey God to be a Christian. Please note I'm not talking about traditions here. I'm talking about the word of God. You might just be able to persuade me to that kind of religion...oh wait...I'm doing that now and avoiding the middleman.

3. No. It's more like proof that you don't know your doctrine well enough to see that God the Son didn't stop being God at any point. This means that he was still an eternal being and gave up nothing for me (not even his body as the post-Resurrection appearances bear out).

What did Jesus sacrifice for me?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Utter,

BobSpence1 wrote:

Utter, meaningless nonsense. Prove it.

Prove what.. that Jesus died for our sins, or that God is real?  Don't you have to believe in God first in order to fully understand the sacrifice?

Don't worry, I'm not avoiding the question.  I can prove to you that it was necessary for Jesus to die for our sins.  I understand that in order for you to grasp the concept, we have to get by the God thing first.  You still haven't given me a basis for study that you'd accept that would be relevent to proving the existance of God. 

BobSpence1 wrote:

Being 'pleased' at punishment certainly is against any spirit of forgiveness. Excessive 'pleasure' at a punishment, especially if harsh, now that would be arguably 'sadistic'. 

Some level of 'satisfaction' that justice has been served is ok, of course.

Punishment of the offender does not in itself repair any injury or suffering to the child.

I agree with all of that.  That "some level of 'satisfaction'" is what we're talking about here with God.  He knew that Justice had been served.  God is a forgiving God, but he's also a just God, forgiving where forgiveness is due.  Through Jesus, it shows he has ultimately forgiven all for all.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Putting any laws in place that require blood sacrifice is very crude, harsh, and primitive, totally unworthy of a God deserving of worship.

Where you do justify that?  Do you know the extent of spiritual damages any particular sin causes?  That's an assumption and an opinion without reference.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Being prepared to change your mind when presented with evidence that you have stuffed things up is a virtue. He had apparently already got things wrong once and had to wipe the slate clean with the Flood, so this is one very incompetent Supreme Being.

oh, so ultimately God screwed up and people were perfect.  I see now.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Even if you accept all that nonsense, it 'proves' nothing of the sort. So the 'Son' of a supreme being can overcome death? Big deal.

The whole crucifiction/salvation scenario I find nasty, primitive, offensive, and illogical.

Sorry you were offended.  Of course you wouldn't find meaning in it unless you found God.  There's a starting point for all understanding.   You just want to bypass all that and come to your own conclusion that it's pointless and nonsense.  That's irrational, illogical, and moronic. Please don't take that in offense, but it's true.  Ask anyone with any knowlege and they all had to start at square 1. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:BobSpence1

caposkia wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Utter, meaningless nonsense. Prove it.

Prove what.. that Jesus died for our sins, or that God is real?  Don't you have to believe in God first in order to fully understand the sacrifice?

Don't worry, I'm not avoiding the question.  I can prove to you that it was necessary for Jesus to die for our sins.  I understand that in order for you to grasp the concept, we have to get by the God thing first.  You still haven't given me a basis for study that you'd accept that would be relevent to proving the existance of God. 

BobSpence1 wrote:

Being 'pleased' at punishment certainly is against any spirit of forgiveness. Excessive 'pleasure' at a punishment, especially if harsh, now that would be arguably 'sadistic'. 

Some level of 'satisfaction' that justice has been served is ok, of course.

Punishment of the offender does not in itself repair any injury or suffering to the child.

I agree with all of that.  That "some level of 'satisfaction'" is what we're talking about here with God.  He knew that Justice had been served.  God is a forgiving God, but he's also a just God, forgiving where forgiveness is due.  Through Jesus, it shows he has ultimately forgiven all for all.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Putting any laws in place that require blood sacrifice is very crude, harsh, and primitive, totally unworthy of a God deserving of worship.

Where you do justify that?  Do you know the extent of spiritual damages any particular sin causes?  That's an assumption and an opinion without reference.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Being prepared to change your mind when presented with evidence that you have stuffed things up is a virtue. He had apparently already got things wrong once and had to wipe the slate clean with the Flood, so this is one very incompetent Supreme Being.

oh, so ultimately God screwed up and people were perfect.  I see now.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Even if you accept all that nonsense, it 'proves' nothing of the sort. So the 'Son' of a supreme being can overcome death? Big deal.

The whole crucifiction/salvation scenario I find nasty, primitive, offensive, and illogical.

Sorry you were offended.  Of course you wouldn't find meaning in it unless you found God.  There's a starting point for all understanding.   You just want to bypass all that and come to your own conclusion that it's pointless and nonsense.  That's irrational, illogical, and moronic. Please don't take that in offense, but it's true.  Ask anyone with any knowlege and they all had to start at square 1. 

And now you're invoking the "You have to believe and follow God before you can believe and follow God" thing?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Cap, this is

Brian37 wrote:

Cap, this is utter cicular self serving steamy pile.

RIGOR MORTIS.................go find a dead body and replicate this event and falsify it. THEN you will have something.

...so you're saying I'm God then?  That would be the only way I could replecate it.

Brian37 wrote:

Otherwise do the right thing and admit that all this is is an ancient story that appeals to you.

What's so appealing about it?  As many of you have pointed out, there's a lot of horrible things that have happened.  There's also serious reprecussions in our world today for professing a Christian following, why would I want a part of that? 

Brian37 wrote:

And why would I want to kiss anyones ass, much less forever?

I dont' know.  I know I don't want to... and yet... I don't even though I'm a follower of Christ.  How 'bout that.

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:
God could not extend forgiveness without blood sacrifice

Then by virtue of "could not" you contradict the claim of "all powerful"

You're right.  My mistake in wording.  Would not because if he did, he'd be going against His own word, which would make him a liar and ultimately, you might then actually have a case against Him. 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Di66en6ion wrote: I think

Di66en6ion wrote:

I think the real questions here is why people wont believe observed repeatable tests but will believe 2nd/3rd hand accounts of events in a time that had predominantly oral traditions of passing down information. You can't even get a complete message out of a chain of 10 people whispering to eachother yet people assume it's authority because of its age. It's even been shown that your own memories are distorted quite a bit after a while. 

It seems to me if you give credence to the bible then you have to do the same for every other maddening bit of fictional work out there. 

well, let's see here:

1.  What 'observed repeatable tests' are you referring to that you claim I don't believe?

2. thousands of translations of many Biblical scripture through thousands of years have proven to be almost identical which untimately blows your "operator" theory out of the water.

3. why would credence to the Bible ultimately give way to the same for all fictional work?  Don't tell me it's fictional either.  Maybe do some homework.  Start with the Archeological study Bible maybe.  Either that, or show me a map of the land of Nod and how to get there from here.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:Brian37

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Cap, this is utter cicular self serving steamy pile.

RIGOR MORTIS.................go find a dead body and replicate this event and falsify it. THEN you will have something.

...so you're saying I'm God then?  That would be the only way I could replecate it.

Brian37 wrote:

Otherwise do the right thing and admit that all this is is an ancient story that appeals to you.

What's so appealing about it?  As many of you have pointed out, there's a lot of horrible things that have happened.  There's also serious reprecussions in our world today for professing a Christian following, why would I want a part of that? 

Brian37 wrote:

And why would I want to kiss anyones ass, much less forever?

I dont' know.  I know I don't want to... and yet... I don't even though I'm a follower of Christ.  How 'bout that.

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:
God could not extend forgiveness without blood sacrifice

Then by virtue of "could not" you contradict the claim of "all powerful"

You're right.  My mistake in wording.  Would not because if he did, he'd be going against His own word, which would make him a liar and ultimately, you might then actually have a case against Him. 

You're not God - you're better. You are a human being. Humans made God.

— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Di66en6ion wrote:First of

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Di66en6ion wrote:First of

Di66en6ion wrote:

First of all, quote the line of scripture you're attributing it too.

2 Tim. 3:1-3, Rev. 3:16 for 2

Di66en6ion wrote:

Your extreme weather example is extremely vague. There are many recorded incidents of extreme weather prior to the industrial revolution. Without scripture quotes I can't see how you twisted it to mean anything you want.

With that statement, I wonder why I should even bother.  Instead of considering the idea that it might actually be written, you automatically assume that I have twisted the words to mean what I want them to mean.  I can just as easily assume that if you find that the words were not twisted by me, that you would ulitmately twist them around to mean what you'd want them to mean so as to make it look like you weren't wrong. 

The weather thing was not referenced above.  It is written in many many places of the Bible including Matthew, Romans, Hebrews, Revelation, and I think Micah amidst others in the OT.  it talks about Floods, famines, quakes, storms, etc.  Yes, they've always been happening.. It mentions a hightening of their frequencies which statistically has been shown.  The ind. rev. is an application that has been suggested by theorists and of course it is still only a theory that it was the cause of them.

Di66en6ion wrote:

The loss of respect sounds like another one of those "oh noes, the moral decline of society!" bullshit arguments. Prove it. If it were possible I'd like to see you live a few centuries ago and say that.

Research violence statistics in schools and in general.  Research the rise in broken families and teen; 'drugs, suicide, drinking, crime, etc'.  Granted some is due to parents allowing it as well.  That's why you need to carefully research the sources of your statistics as well. 

Di66en6ion wrote:

Loss of respect for which moral issues? 

I didn't suggest any because it's across the board.  It possibly applies to most if not all... I dont' know that for sure.

Di66en6ion wrote:

So you acknowledge your superstitions and the self biased flaw of the concept of miracles? Why exactly wouldn't they be considered miracles to you if they had physical evidence?

They wouldn't, that's the point.  Where do you get acknowlegement of superstitions from that?  I think this is sufficient evidence to the fact that you manipulate what is put in front of you to accomodate your belief.

Di66en6ion wrote:

For disembodied minds, obviously something involving evidence. Cosmological arguments fail, they always equivocate or employ some other logical fallacy. 

true

Di66en6ion wrote:

It's only difficult when you completely accept a single source's word on something with nothing but anecdotal evidence lacking anything objective. Sources would include anything that you could put under the rigors of the scientific method. I wont accept confirmation biases until you can magically prove that miracles are anything but statistically unlikely events, not impossibilities.

no one can prove that anything is impossible.  It's proving a negative.  It just doesn't work.

Using the process of the scientific method is something I suggested in the past.  It seemed all shied away from it rather quickly however.  It might actually require some active investigation on your part. 

Why would you want me to "magically prove" anything to you?  Are you saying magic is real?

Di66en6ion wrote:

The only problem I have with faithful people is their ability to automatically discredit other faiths as automatically wrong even when those other faiths have just as strong emotional conviction as their own.

I'm glad you said that.  I never do that.  When people ask me why Christ and not another following, I explain what made sense to me and what didn't with reference to what was claimed in each belief.  Anyone of another belief wanting me to follow them, I ask them for evidence, just as you.

Di66en6ion wrote:

Really, your emotional conviction is stronger or more 'real' than everyone elses'? You can't produce any objective evidence for the survival of flesh through rigor mortis or disembodied minds so how are your claims of a supreme being and his suicidal son any different? 

Your assumption that my belief is strictly based off of emotional conviction alone proves my statement.

Congruency in Archeology, history and storyline in general.

Di66en6ion wrote:

I wasn't asking about what you've managed to rationalize yourself through, any human being can do that with anything if they think it's actually rational. I'm asking you why the voice you believe you hear that is god is more real than any other religious person's voice. Why is it that someone who makes the exact same claim of knowledge of God wrong and you right when you accept such concepts as 'miracles' and the supernatural? Do you think they're just listening to the wrong God, what's the deal?

Who else did I say was wrong?  I never said anyone else wasn't hearing a voice of a spirit either.  I'm not saying my God is anymore real than another persons god.  That persons god could in fact be a real spirit.  Who knows.  The question is whether my God is the Almighty, maker of heaven and Earth or not.   I welcome anyone of another faith, including the atheist religion to challenge what I know, but I do suggest doing it logically and with an open mind. 

Di66en6ion wrote:

When it comes to objective evidence it wont matter. You'll do exactly the same thing all other religious people do and throw out apologetics; "that would be tempting the lord", "God works in misterious ways", "he can do what he wants, he made you!", "he doesn't have to prove anything to you, you have to prove yourself to him!", blah blah blah...

Right.  Is that your only excuse?  You obviously haven't followed my forums very long.   I haven't studied appologetics and if those excuses don't work on me, they won't work on you and therefore, I don't use them.   

Would you accept for some questions you may ask that I might not know all the answers?? and that not knowing all the answers does not mean God isn't real or that I don't have enough to base my belief on? 

Di66en6ion wrote:

A demonstration of power of course would do the trick although I understand that nonexistant beings generally can't demonstrate anything.

You've already decided that God is non-existant, so why should I even bother making an effort with you?  What would you want Him to demonstrate and why that particular way?  Why would seeking Him out not be just as good of a way?  All serious questions looking for a logical answer

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Why wouldn't

jcgadfly wrote:

Why wouldn't the miracles be considered miracles if we had physical evidence?

1. Because skeptics might find a way to reproduce the trick, through less divine means, casting doubt on the original.

2. Miracles aren't just for show (one of the more frequent claims I hear).

What it comes down to is - Christianity thrives on mystery and secrecy. Christians just like to call it faith.

Usually with phyiscal evidence comes an explanation of how it happened.  The definition is usually beyond the physical abilities as far as we understand it and therefore, that's why.

Christianity thrives on neither.

Mystery only because God is bigger than we can comprehend in all aspects as written in the Bible.  Therefore, it's beyond explanation ultimately rendering a lot of what God does and who He is, mysterious.  Only to our understanding at this time. 

secrecy only because... er... well, I don't know of any secrets that I'm not suppose to tell people about my following. 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Not even that.

Brian37 wrote:

Not even that. Scientific method used by scientists seeks to solve mysteries. Christianity doesn't seek to solve mysteries, it's believers seek to perpetuate myth. Christianity, like all myth, is a result of effective marketing, not research.

Extra-religious evidence please.  Otherwise, your only basis is religion, to which then I would agree.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:1. Did you

jcgadfly wrote:

1. Did you really just call your God an oath-breaker? Or are you saying that the laws he gave to us are only for us and he is a law unto himself? We are condemned for failing moral laws that He can't follow. Where's the justice in that?

uoy, you have to read more carefully my friend.  He's only an oath-breaker if he didn't follow through with what He did.

He has and can follow all of his laws.  He doesn't have to, but he does because He is an honest and trustworthy God.

jcgadfly wrote:

2. I'm impressed. I know many Christians who don't obey God and still claim the title but you are the first that has ever said that you don't have to obey God to be a Christian. Please note I'm not talking about traditions here. I'm talking about the word of God. You might just be able to persuade me to that kind of religion...oh wait...I'm doing that now and avoiding the middleman.

I'm amazed that I'm the first to tell you that.  It's because we have disobeyed God that we need Christ to begin with.  That's the whole point.  The reason why we claim to follow Christ is because we fall short of the Glory of God through our disobedience.  The thing is, when you understand the gift, you strive to obey, though you end up not.  You do so because you understand the love and sacrifice.  It isn't ass kissing or mind control unlike some cults out there, dispensationalists being one. 

What it comes down to is a choice.  I don't word this this way because I think you're going to follow through with it.  It just clarifies the freedom that comes with real Christianity:

Do you understand and accept the gift through Jesus Christ that has been given to you.  If you do, what do you want to do in reaction to that in your life?  You at any time can walk away, rebel, etc.  you have all freedoms that you've always had.  the question is, if you rebel, did you really accept the gift in the first place?  If so, why would you rebel against it? 

The choice is always yours no matter what choice you have made in the past.  There Biblically can be no church that can accept you or reject you based on your actions in life.  Does all this together make any sense?

jcgadfly wrote:

3. No. It's more like proof that you don't know your doctrine well enough to see that God the Son didn't stop being God at any point. This means that he was still an eternal being and gave up nothing for me (not even his body as the post-Resurrection appearances bear out).

What did Jesus sacrifice for me?

Physical life (he could have had it forever if he wanted)

pain/humiliation (he could have walked away from all of it or never allowed them to capture him in the first place)

and... if heaven or the presence of God is so amazing as it is described in the Bible, then to come away from that and live life here on Earth for 30 some-odd years born into a poor family at that in a barn I'd say is quite the sacrifice to you.  (He could have been born into a kingdom or rulership.  He could have ruled the world with his physical presence.  he had all of that at his fingertips, yet didn't take any of it... for us.)

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:And now

jcgadfly wrote:

And now you're invoking the "You have to believe and follow God before you can believe and follow God" thing?

er... I dont' know.  can you follow God if you don't know Him?  Can you follow anyone if you don't know who they are? 

let's just say, you have to first be able to consider the possiblity of God being real.  then you can persue it from there.  Of course there'd have to be some basis for your consideration.  That is where we seem to be stuck.  I'm not sure what could possibly get you to the point of even considering.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:You're not

jcgadfly wrote:

...and you're so sure of that.  It could only be your choice to consider anything beyond that.  There's nothing i could do or tell you to convince you otherwise until you make the choice on your own first. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

er... I dont' know.  can you follow God if you don't know Him?  Can you follow anyone if you don't know who they are? 

let's just say, you have to first be able to consider the possiblity of God being real.  then you can persue it from there.  Of course there'd have to be some basis for your consideration.  That is where we seem to be stuck.  I'm not sure what could possibly get you to the point of even considering.

You seem to be saying that I have to know God before I can know God.

I have no problem with the possibility. In fact, I'd kind of like it to be the case. I've met some really cool believers. The problem I have is from peole who ask me to stop using reason and replace it with their version of faith.

Unfortunately, the only proof of God that we seem to have is the book that humans wrote about him. That leads me to believe more that God was a construct of the writers of that book.

— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

...and you're so sure of that.  It could only be your choice to consider anything beyond that.  There's nothing i could do or tell you to convince you otherwise until you make the choice on your own first. 

"Choosing" to believe in the super natural requires willful ignorance in suspending rational thought in favor of "faith". I can no more "Choose" to hold a position with no evidence than I can "Choose" to believe that Angolina Jolie will give me a blow job 5 seconds from now.

Maybe you are stuck in willful ignorance, but I am lucky enough to have had escaped it.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Di66en6ion
Di66en6ion's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:Di66en6ion

caposkia wrote:

Di66en6ion wrote:

First of all, quote the line of scripture you're attributing it too.

2 Tim. 3:1-3, Rev. 3:16 for 2

The first one is obvious but I see no reference in 3:16.

caposkia wrote:

With that statement, I wonder why I should even bother.  Instead of considering the idea that it might actually be written, you automatically assume that I have twisted the words to mean what I want them to mean.  I can just as easily assume that if you find that the words were not twisted by me, that you would ulitmately twist them around to mean what you'd want them to mean so as to make it look like you weren't wrong. 

The weather thing was not referenced above.  It is written in many many places of the Bible including Matthew, Romans, Hebrews, Revelation, and I think Micah amidst others in the OT.  it talks about Floods, famines, quakes, storms, etc.  Yes, they've always been happening.. It mentions a hightening of their frequencies which statistically has been shown.  The ind. rev. is an application that has been suggested by theorists and of course it is still only a theory that it was the cause of them.

The thing is, even if it is written in your scripture you by no means have proven a thing (unless specific concise details are given about particular events, future dates, names, places, etc). Floods, famines, quakes, storms, etc.. are a fact of living on a geothermically active planet with an atmosphere and all you can show is small increases in frequencies on very short periods of time with respect to this planet's history. 200-1000 years of weather reports isn't much in comparison to the 40,000+ year cycles this planet may go through (or just in general). Some of those are blatently obvious realities which seems like a reversal in an attempt to fit facts with incongruent scripture, you're extrapolating events in the future for which no scientist agrees with in certainty. I seriously doubt there's been any increase in quakes or famine with respect to population size.

caposkia wrote:

Di66en6ion wrote:

The loss of respect sounds like another one of those "oh noes, the moral decline of society!" bullshit arguments. Prove it. If it were possible I'd like to see you live a few centuries ago and say that.

Research violence statistics in schools and in general.  Research the rise in broken families and teen; 'drugs, suicide, drinking, crime, etc'.  Granted some is due to parents allowing it as well.  That's why you need to carefully research the sources of your statistics as well.

Well I just checked statistic rates for suicide and they're down. Drug abuse is both comical and tragic at the same time; you have reclassifications of what constitutes drugs (and drug abuse) which encompasses more "abusers" on one hand and an increase of new types of drugs (which are pushed onto the public for profit) on the other so of course usage will go up. These statistics are different for every country as well, so which ones are you citing because they're not all going up? These also depend on what you consider a "broken family"; people who divorce in a social setting where it's acceptable to leave the husband that beats you is much better than one that would force someone to stay in such an inhospitable setting. I'd argue that families are no more broken then they were at any other point in history, the only difference is that you have people no longer affraid of taking action. 

caposkia wrote:

Di66en6ion wrote:

Loss of respect for which moral issues? 

I didn't suggest any because it's across the board.  It possibly applies to most if not all... I dont' know that for sure.

Your subjective interpretation of subjective subjects. If you mean a change in the social structure of society I'd agree, for better or for worse, who's to say? 

caposkia wrote:

Di66en6ion wrote:

It's only difficult when you completely accept a single source's word on something with nothing but anecdotal evidence lacking anything objective. Sources would include anything that you could put under the rigors of the scientific method. I wont accept confirmation biases until you can magically prove that miracles are anything but statistically unlikely events, not impossibilities.

no one can prove that anything is impossible.  It's proving a negative.  It just doesn't work.

Using the process of the scientific method is something I suggested in the past.  It seemed all shied away from it rather quickly however.  It might actually require some active investigation on your part.

Well I'll need something a little harder than some inconcise scripture and a low statistical correlation.

caposkia wrote:

Di66en6ion wrote:

Really, your emotional conviction is stronger or more 'real' than everyone elses'? You can't produce any objective evidence for the survival of flesh through rigor mortis or disembodied minds so how are your claims of a supreme being and his suicidal son any different? 

Your assumption that my belief is strictly based off of emotional conviction alone proves my statement.

Congruency in Archeology, history and storyline in general.

So that automatically makes a man rising from the dead, a virgin birth, miracles, and god true? Guess I better go research every fictional book ever written that has congruency in history as well.

caposkia wrote:

Di66en6ion wrote:

A demonstration of power of course would do the trick although I understand that nonexistant beings generally can't demonstrate anything.

You've already decided that God is non-existant, so why should I even bother making an effort with you?  What would you want Him to demonstrate and why that particular way?  Why would seeking Him out not be just as good of a way?  All serious questions looking for a logical answer.

Because your logic entails that I first believe in order to believe; that I must be uncritical of what I'm looking at and just accept it from your perspective. I don't seek any world view out, I filter information and fit it together as best I can through what seems congruent. Your god had no qualms with displaying his power to individuals and mass audiences in scripture so I don't see what the problem is.

Truthfully there is nothing that could 100% remove all doubt from my mind and to do so would be tantamount to pure mind control. Bringing back a lost loved one for a day would be sufficient I would think but it would still leave a 0.1% possibility of a naturalistic advanced lifeform decieving me or delusion. If one cannot be in heaven and doubt or question things as they can on earth then I want no part of it, it's worse than nonexistance, I might as well be hooked up to an IV drip of meth 24/7 because it'd do me just as much good cognitively. Your diety very well could have all the answers and feed those answers directly into our minds but if I have no ability to test those answers myself then there is no beauty or purpose left for me. 

You asking me to come up with a situation as to what would make me believe would be somewhere in the ballpark of asking you how your god could prove his sovereignty over reality instead of being a middleman somewhere in creation... even he might be decieved... how could you possibly know for sure?

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

caposkia wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:
So the unnecessary death of Jesus (being omnipotent, God could extend forgiveness without blood sacrifices) was simply to satisfy a sadistic being? He was pleased by the punishment - sounds like good old fashioned blood lust to me. I'm surprised it didn't describe God's erection from watching events unfold.

How hard is it for an eternal, deathless being to "overcome" death?  It cheapens Jesus' sacrifice rather than enriching it.

The death of Jesus was necessary for our salvation.

Now I am the first to admit I have never created a reality in my life. I have no idea how to even start creating one.

But it seems to me one cannot claim to have not only created but to have absolute control over this reality and then declare anything is necessary.

One has absolute control or one does not. Declaring anything is required as a predicate is an arbitrary act of creation of that predicate.

You should be explaining why that god chose to make it a predicate when it had an infinite number of alternates to choose from.

Now I have heard the entire "he wants" riff but if it cannot controls its appetites why should we think it wants us to control ours?

Maybe you should read the Bible first, then ask me these questions.   If you have, then read it again... this time more carefully.  See some of my other posts on this forum as well.

I have read it. Why would I ask you anything?

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:
[What are we superstitious savages? Blood is nothing special. As creation goes it is no different from shit or piss or rocks or water for that matter. I keep getting a rerun of Spike giving Buffy that riff on "It's always blood." Good for entertainment but who in their right mind would take it as anything special?

Let's see, what happens if you don't have shit in your body... um... you're probably pretty content. 

What if you dont' have pee in your body... uh... again, probably content... at least digestively and comfort level pending no other bodily issues.

what if you don't have blood in your body?  You're dead.... yea, but it's nothing special.  Water is the basis for blood and blood carries everything your body needs to survive.  Unless of course life is nothing important.

Sorry but blood remains nothing special. The idea of its importance come from superstious primitive who had no idea of circulation. And that ignorance of circulation extends to their god who was equally ignorant. There stupid god didn't even know about genes.

caposkia wrote:
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:
One should not expect much of the jewish god or the christian one for that matter.
same God
That is a nonsense assertion regardless of who made it.
caposkia wrote:
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:
Of course if one takes them seriously crucifixion was a terrible way to die. It took days. He got off easy because some idiots picked the wrong day. That god isn't really the kind you want. A single father sending his son to earth on a suicide mission. Really weird.

How is it a suicide mission if he can overcome death?  If you could choose to feel the pain he did or walk away, what would you have done?

You do not know the meaning of the word suicide? If you read your theology his death was REQUIRED for the remission of sin. If he had not died then no remission of sin. Therefore he had to die. Therefore a suicide mission. Look up the word.

caposkia wrote:
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:
It was a big thing back then. Lots of gods overcame death and there was always a woman involved as his mother, wife or both and they always spent three days in the underworld before returning. They had all the same trappings as this Jesus character.
The prophesies of that happening have been around thousands of years before it happened. Many have adapted the story to their own culture.

You are apparently ignorant in this matter. Educated people know prophesy is bullshit. Educated people also know that all those religions had the SAME events as claimed by Christians were duplicated by their gods in their past which would be thousands of years before Christians claimed the same thing for their god. Any ratoinal person sees the Christians copied the stories for their chosen god-man. God-men were a dime a dozen in the good old days.

caposkia wrote:
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

Nothing you do will ever bring you happiness forever.  Everything's pointless.  (ref. Ecclesiastes)  How much more must something that can ultimately bring the assurance of eternal happiness be worth?

Where is that promised in scripture? No place. Revelation has a condemnation to those who add to it.

caposkia wrote:
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:
You do have it wrong. Were it not for the evil Judas it would never have happened. That is the clear story in the gospels. Like the Adam and Eve story, some fools came along later and invented some nonsense tradition on the clear narrative of the story.

We call them believers.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
How does Matt Dillahunty put

How does Matt Dillahunty put it? "At least when Elvis died for my sins he stayed dead."

Cap, how could the story of a man incapable of death not dying give me eternal life?

— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cap doesn't want to face

Cap doesn't want to face that his fictional super hero is merely a product of human emagination. It a refusal to accept one's own finite existence.

Does anyone really think their god(s) are going to be remembered by anthing after our species goes extinct, much less 50 billion years from now?

But from a moral standpoint it is just as horrible.

First off, my dad and my mom did not consult their sperm and egg and ask it if it wanted to become me. The reality is that they had sex and that is why I am here.

BUT, if one is to take the theist model as an example, I STILL WASN'T ASKED, and I didn't ask anyone to kill themselves for me, nor would I.

In reality, any SANE person would find it disturbing if they were followed by a spouse, girlfriend, or fan who had a knife to their wrist and said, "Look at me, I am going to kill myself for you".

There is nothing selfless about the Jesus myth. It is nothing more than a super hero construct to gain club members, and a sick selfish concept at that.

The claimed "sacrifice" is not designed to promote freedom of religion or individuality. The main goal is to get you to believe that you get to kiss the ass of God forever if you follow him. What they gloss over is that COMES AT THE EXPENSE OF TREATING OUTSIDERS LIKE TRASH TO BE THROWN IN THE GARBAGE.

It is a self centered concept all about bowing to the authority of one.

I only hope that Cap wakes up out of this delusion before their entire life is wasted on defending it.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:You seem to

jcgadfly wrote:

How about you need to be 'aware' of God before knowing Him. 

jcgadfly wrote:

I have no problem with the possibility. In fact, I'd kind of like it to be the case. I've met some really cool believers. The problem I have is from peole who ask me to stop using reason and replace it with their version of faith.

Ask them to give you a "reasonable reason to stop using reason" Eye-wink 

I'm asking you to use reason.  I'm just trying to figure out what reasoning you'd be receptive to.  Everyone knows God in their own way.  In other words, each relationship with Him is unique unto itself and each expression toward God is unique.  Organized religion denies that and tries to make you conform to what they want you to believe.  That's not how God works.

jcgadfly wrote:

Unfortunately, the only proof of God that we seem to have is the book that humans wrote about him. That leads me to believe more that God was a construct of the writers of that book.

My belief is supported by extra-Bibllical support and you know that.  Maybe you should read "God according to God".  Written by a renowned scientist.  It may help, it may not.  It's worth a try in my opinion

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:"Choosing" to

Brian37 wrote:

"Choosing" to believe in the super natural requires willful ignorance in suspending rational thought in favor of "faith". I can no more "Choose" to hold a position with no evidence than I can "Choose" to believe that Angolina Jolie will give me a blow job 5 seconds from now.

Maybe you are stuck in willful ignorance, but I am lucky enough to have had escaped it.

I dont' know Brian, from what I've seen of your posts;  It seems to me, unlike some others on here you "hold a position with no evidence". 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

How about you need to be 'aware' of God before knowing Him. 

jcgadfly wrote:

Ask them to give you a "reasonable reason to stop using reason" Eye-wink 

I'm asking you to use reason.  I'm just trying to figure out what reasoning you'd be receptive to.  Everyone knows God in their own way.  In other words, each relationship with Him is unique unto itself and each expression toward God is unique.  Organized religion denies that and tries to make you conform to what they want you to believe.  That's not how God works.

jcgadfly wrote:

My belief is supported by extra-Bibllical support and you know that.  Maybe you should read "God according to God".  Written by a renowned scientist.  It may help, it may not.  It's worth a try in my opinion

So the people who ask God to reveal himself (make them aware of him) are lying when they say that happens? After all, in your view they needed to be aware of God before they asked.

You're asking me to use reason to have faith in God. Faith in God is short-circuited by reason. How can one get to the other?

Thanks for the book recommendation - Let me see if my library has it.

— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Di66en6ion wrote:The first

Di66en6ion wrote:

The first one is obvious but I see no reference in 3:16.

It was to the 'lukewarm' or 'not-really-a-follower' Christian reference.    Might need a read of the chapter for contextual reference.  Sorry 'bout that.

Di66en6ion wrote:

The thing is, even if it is written in your scripture you by no means have proven a thing (unless specific concise details are given about particular events, future dates, names, places, etc). Floods, famines, quakes, storms, etc.. are a fact of living on a geothermically active planet with an atmosphere and all you can show is small increases in frequencies on very short periods of time with respect to this planet's history. 200-1000 years of weather reports isn't much in comparison to the 40,000+ year cycles this planet may go through (or just in general). Some of those are blatently obvious realities which seems like a reversal in an attempt to fit facts with incongruent scripture, you're extrapolating events in the future for which no scientist agrees with in certainty. I seriously doubt there's been any increase in quakes or famine with respect to population size.

Those specifically maybe.  It never said in scripture that 'all of the above is going to happen all at the same time'  nor did it give any time frame for when it was to happen.  Bible explains this and why.

You've I'm sure heard of the 'hockey stick' in the temperature graph and how that correlates to a noticable increase in extremes regarding to weather. 

It is only a theory, but the current weather patterns don't seem to coenside with historical weather patterns.  There are a few different theories revolving around this topic as to why.

Di66en6ion wrote:

Well I just checked statistic rates for suicide and they're down.

compared to when?

Di66en6ion wrote:

Drug abuse is both comical and tragic at the same time; you have reclassifications of what constitutes drugs (and drug abuse) which encompasses more "abusers" on one hand and an increase of new types of drugs (which are pushed onto the public for profit) on the other so of course usage will go up. These statistics are different for every country as well, so which ones are you citing because they're not all going up?

generally speaking

Di66en6ion wrote:

These also depend on what you consider a "broken family"; people who divorce in a social setting where it's acceptable to leave the husband that beats you is much better than one that would force someone to stay in such an inhospitable setting. I'd argue that families are no more broken then they were at any other point in history, the only difference is that you have people no longer affraid of taking action. 

again, generally speaking. 

I wasn't referencing to social acceptance.  It's funny you mention that however because socail acceptance is part of a cause.

You would need to take it all into consideration and generally come to a conlcusion that there is a "general" increase.  You seem to have concluded that.  I never said it was extreme.  I never stated any specifics to why there would be an increase.  Just that there is.  Now you see it. 

Di66en6ion wrote:

Your subjective interpretation of subjective subjects. If you mean a change in the social structure of society I'd agree, for better or for worse, who's to say? 

again you do see it then.

I guess better or worse is perspective.  Biblically.... what would you say from that perspective?

Di66en6ion wrote:

Well I'll need something a little harder than some inconcise scripture and a low statistical correlation.

This is where I ask what you would be looking for and from what method you'd like to base the research that would be relevent to the topic.

Di66en6ion wrote:

So that automatically makes a man rising from the dead, a virgin birth, miracles, and god true? Guess I better go research every fictional book ever written that has congruency in history as well.

It may not hurt for a start.  I would never suggest to anyone NOT to read anything else that might contradict the truth.  In my opinion, it makes you stronger in the truth to do that.  (truth meaning what is real, not what you or I assume to be real)

Di66en6ion wrote:

Because your logic entails that I first believe in order to believe;

is belief all there is to it?  It is said that "Satan believes in God" 

I'd say you should start with something that might make you consider the concept of believing.

Di66en6ion wrote:

that I must be uncritical of what I'm looking at and just accept it from your perspective.

woah, I never said that!

Di66en6ion wrote:

I don't seek any world view out, I filter information and fit it together as best I can through what seems congruent. Your god had no qualms with displaying his power to individuals and mass audiences in scripture so I don't see what the problem is.

maybe that he promised it won't happen like that until Christ's return?  He still shows himself... only to those who know Him.  You have to want to know Him first.  How can you do that if you don't even have a reason to consider belief?  We might want to battle that front first.

Di66en6ion wrote:

Truthfully there is nothing that could 100% remove all doubt from my mind and to do so would be tantamount to pure mind control.

who said 100% of doubt had to be removed?  I'd be lying if I said I never doubted or may never doubt again.  I've seen enough to overcome those doubts when they pass.  To remove all doubt would be to have 100% faith.  Bible says faith the size of a mustard seed will move mountains.  That's hardly 100% faith or even half the removal of doubt.  If you didn't have any doubt, you wouldn't need any faith.

Di66en6ion wrote:

Bringing back a lost loved one for a day would be sufficient I would think but it would still leave a 0.1% possibility of a naturalistic advanced lifeform decieving me or delusion.

That's not asking much. 

Di66en6ion wrote:

If one cannot be in heaven and doubt or question things as they can on earth then I want no part of it, it's worse than nonexistance, I might as well be hooked up to an IV drip of meth 24/7 because it'd do me just as much good cognitively.

who said you can't doubt or question things?  Bible suggests to always challenge what you know.

Di66en6ion wrote:

Your diety very well could have all the answers and feed those answers directly into our minds but if I have no ability to test those answers myself then there is no beauty or purpose left for me. 

Probably why it doesn't happen that way.

Di66en6ion wrote:

You asking me to come up with a situation as to what would make me believe would be somewhere in the ballpark of asking you how your god could prove his sovereignty over reality instead of being a middleman somewhere in creation... even he might be decieved... how could you possibly know for sure?

i know because I know God.  How would you know?  Good question. 

How could God prove his sovereignty over reality if He's a part of reality?  Are you referring to the physical?  In that case he could do it in many ways.  If you accept anything in scripture, he has shown many times how he can.  Why doesn't He?  see your statement; "your diety very well could...."

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:I have

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

I have read it. Why would I ask you anything?

Probably for the same reason you already asked me questions.  Whatever that may be. 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:Sorry but

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

Sorry but blood remains nothing special. The idea of its importance come from superstious primitive who had no idea of circulation. And that ignorance of circulation extends to their god who was equally ignorant. There stupid god didn't even know about genes.

Blood was a redemption in scripture.  Blood redeemed through Christ.  Simple as that.   Blood has no importance to you, yet you still die if you lose enough of it. 

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

You do not know the meaning of the word suicide? If you read your theology his death was REQUIRED for the remission of sin. If he had not died then no remission of sin. Therefore he had to die. Therefore a suicide mission. Look up the word.

I know where you're coming from.  Suicide in general is defined with the "end of life" in mind.  If this was the end of Jesus' life, he wouldn't have come back. 

Either way, you can look at it like a suicide mission.  The reason is because only the blood of the son of God could be sufficient enough to fulfill the law for the world.  

see it this way, one "pure" animal sacrifice was only good enough to cover one person or a very small group. 

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

You are apparently ignorant in this matter. Educated people know prophesy is bullshit. Educated people also know that all those religions had the SAME events as claimed by Christians were duplicated by their gods in their past which would be thousands of years before Christians claimed the same thing for their god. Any ratoinal person sees the Christians copied the stories for their chosen god-man. God-men were a dime a dozen in the good old days.

Strange then that "educated people" believe and follow Christianity.  As one "educated" person to another.  Can you explain to me the logic behind that?

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

Where is that promised in scripture? No place. Revelation has a condemnation to those who add to it.

Ah, so your among those who like to pull the negatives out and ignore the positives.  Maybe you should review.. "most of the New Testiment" along with OT prophesies of Christ and His purpose.

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

caposkia wrote:
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

We call them believers.

At least we're willing to admit it Eye-wink

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:How does Matt

jcgadfly wrote:

How does Matt Dillahunty put it? "At least when Elvis died for my sins he stayed dead."

Cap, how could the story of a man incapable of death not dying give me eternal life?

well... He did actually die.  so... not incapable of death.  Just able to overcome it. 

The law states a blood sacrifice is needed for the redemption of sins.  Jesus was a pure blood sacrifice that covered all sins.  His sacrifice fulfilled the law.   Therefore, you are seen as clean (or innocent) in the presence of God through the death and resurrection of Chirst. 

His death is your redemption of sins.  His resurrection is fulfillment of prophesy to confirm Jesus was the one who has the power to give you that redemption through his death.   

Bible says, there are many who may come claiming to be Jesus (general quotation).  Anyone can die claiming to be a redemption to you.  How many of them can come back after the fact to prove it?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Cap doesn't

Brian37 wrote:

Cap doesn't want to face that his fictional super hero is merely a product of human emagination. It a refusal to accept one's own finite existence.

yea that's it.  Brian has read up on my medical history as well. 

Brian37 wrote:

Does anyone really think their god(s) are going to be remembered by anthing after our species goes extinct, much less 50 billion years from now?

Do you really think before you write? 

Brian37 wrote:

But from a moral standpoint it is just as horrible.

First off, my dad and my mom did not consult their sperm and egg and ask it if it wanted to become me. The reality is that they had sex and that is why I am here.

A physical consoltation, yes.

Why would them asking the egg and sperm make any difference in the existance of God?

Brian37 wrote:

BUT, if one is to take the theist model as an example, I STILL WASN'T ASKED, and I didn't ask anyone to kill themselves for me, nor would I.

So you're saying you have a memory of "not being asked" before your birth.  Not that the Bible indicates you had a choice to begin with.  Some theories that are extra-Biblical may indicate you do.  Either way, you can't prove or disprove a consoltation for live with any entity before your birth.

It's a very illogical point.

Brian37 wrote:

In reality, any SANE person would find it disturbing if they were followed by a spouse, girlfriend, or fan who had a knife to their wrist and said, "Look at me, I am going to kill myself for you".

instead, for years and years before, it was well known among followers of the God of Abraham that He was to send his Son as an ultimate sacrifice for mankind... and they knew why it had to be that way!!! 

Stranger yet... Jesus wasn't anyone's "spouse, girlfriend (or boyfriend), or fan"

Brian37 wrote:

There is nothing selfless about the Jesus myth. It is nothing more than a super hero construct to gain club members, and a sick selfish concept at that.

we serve caviar!

Brian37 wrote:

The claimed "sacrifice" is not designed to promote freedom of religion or individuality. The main goal is to get you to believe that you get to kiss the ass of God forever if you follow him. What they gloss over is that COMES AT THE EXPENSE OF TREATING OUTSIDERS LIKE TRASH TO BE THROWN IN THE GARBAGE.

wait... that's not in the Bible!  Are you a cultist?

Brian37 wrote:

It is a self centered concept all about bowing to the authority of one.

oh, you work for the government! 

Brian37 wrote:

I only hope that Cap wakes up out of this delusion before their entire life is wasted on defending it.

I'm still waiting for you to show me why what I understand to be true is not.  So far, you've done... well.. I guess what would be considered "good enough for government work"

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:So the people

jcgadfly wrote:

So the people who ask God to reveal himself (make them aware of him) are lying when they say that happens? After all, in your view they needed to be aware of God before they asked.

I don't believe that's what I said.  If you're referring to the part where I said "God promised not to reviel himself like that until..." it was in reference to stuff like giant floods or Moses like prophets. 

As I followed up with, doubt is needed for faith.  I see things from God that help me overcome that doubt that passes from time to time. 

jcgadfly wrote:

You're asking me to use reason to have faith in God. Faith in God is short-circuited by reason. How can one get to the other?

What is your basis for that conclusion?  It is reason that brought me to the conclusion I have.

jcgadfly wrote:

Thanks for the book recommendation - Let me see if my library has it.

I will mention it is fairly new.  If you can't find that, the same author has written other books.  Just look up his name:  Gerald L. Schroeder.

I haven't read any of his other stuff yet, so I can't reference any of it. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

well... He did actually die.  so... not incapable of death.  Just able to overcome it. 

The law states a blood sacrifice is needed for the redemption of sins.  Jesus was a pure blood sacrifice that covered all sins.  His sacrifice fulfilled the law.   Therefore, you are seen as clean (or innocent) in the presence of God through the death and resurrection of Chirst. 

His death is your redemption of sins.  His resurrection is fulfillment of prophesy to confirm Jesus was the one who has the power to give you that redemption through his death.   

Bible says, there are many who may come claiming to be Jesus (general quotation).  Anyone can die claiming to be a redemption to you.  How many of them can come back after the fact to prove it?

1. I understand that the Father is not the Son but they are both God (as I understand trinitarianism). So you're saying God died but he didn't die because he needed to raise himself from the dead?

2. Why the move up in the sin offering? The sin offering for an entire community was one young bull. Did God just need to kill a more sentient being because the world is a larger community?

3. Back to question 1 - Jesus died and Jesus is God so God died...no wait, God couldn't die because God raised Jesus from the dead. So either Jesus didn't die (because he's God) or God lived and died simulataneously. Of course, if you mean the body that God was inhabiting that people called Jesus, the sacrifice of a body God didn't need and coule recreate at will doesn't seem like a big deal.

This is why I say faith and reason are incompatible. Thinking the Resurrection through makes it unworkable. If it's not bought on faith, it can't be bought (unless you have a diferent way to go about it).

— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:1. I

jcgadfly wrote:

1. I understand that the Father is not the Son but they are both God (as I understand trinitarianism). So you're saying God died but he didn't die because he needed to raise himself from the dead?

This is where it's important to understand the cooperation within the "trinity" as some like to call it.  Though they "share one being" they are "separate persons".

The best way to answer this is to say that Jesus...the man died.  

Notice in scripture as Jesus is on the cross, He shouts to God the father; "Father Father, why have you forsaken me?"  This signifies that:

1.  They are not one in the same person, but 2 completely separate persons. 

2. It also shows that Jesus was basically on His own to die.

So.  God didn't die, Jesus, the man died. 

jcgadfly wrote:

2. Why the move up in the sin offering? The sin offering for an entire community was one young bull. Did God just need to kill a more sentient being because the world is a larger community?

There are many reasons behind this.

God promised His people that at the appropriate time, there would be one coming down that would be the one sacrifice for all.  This would bring the unity and presence of God that was lacking from the implication of the law forward. 

It also brought a new level of relationship with God.  Now that Jesus came down, God's followers were more than "servants" but understood as members of God's family which is the relationship God always sought from His people.   It was one step closer and brought around the understanding that no one person is better than another.  The relationship between God and His people and equality from person to person is what was always intended, but rarely followed or understood.  (my explanation)

Jesus was to be the true example to follow.  He clarified and fulfilled what the Law never could to the people. 

it had nothing to do with the community getting larger.  Jesus was promised for a long time. 

There's so much in depth detail that we could go into to fully comprehend the purpose and meaning of Jesus and the sacrifice.  It takes quite the while to cover all the basis.  The simple answer is unity and closer relationship to God for all people and not just a select few like the Jewish leaders were trying to make it be. 

jcgadfly wrote:

3. Back to question 1 - Jesus died and Jesus is God so God died...no wait, God couldn't die because God raised Jesus from the dead. So either Jesus didn't die (because he's God) or God lived and died simulataneously. Of course, if you mean the body that God was inhabiting that people called Jesus, the sacrifice of a body God didn't need and coule recreate at will doesn't seem like a big deal.

This is why I say faith and reason are incompatible. Thinking the Resurrection through makes it unworkable. If it's not bought on faith, it can't be bought (unless you have a diferent way to go about it).

well, there is.  From your explanation above, I can see you're taking it from a humanistic/materialistic perspective.  Be it that God is beyond the materialistic, or is metaphysical, There is a lot more to it.  As I said, Jesus (the physical man) died.  Jesus as the equal person to God experienced everything that death is. 

Getting into the soul aspect, once the "man" Jesus was dead, the soul or spirit lived on.  Matthew...??? I think... explained that after Jesus died on the cross, he went and preached to the beings in the underworld.. (which isn't a reference to hell, but just to the ones who were dead)  indicating that though the physical body died, Jesus lived just as the rest of our souls are said to live.  He then resurrected His physical body, injuries still in tact to prove that He is truly the one. 

Obviously to God, it's not a big deal, He could do that all day.  To sit there and feel the pain, to experience death with the full knowlege that he could get up and walk away from it at any time is a big deal.  I think if most people had the option to walk away from physical pain or torture and death, they would.  That takes quite the will. 

The resurrection was proof for us, not so much that it was a feat to concquer, but to show that He was really sent from God as a sacrifice.  The prophesies expained that they would know by this and many other miracles He did that he was really the son of God and not just someone trying to lead people astray. 

if the above wasn't sufficient enough or wasn't quite answering what you were asking, I apologise.  There's so much to it, it's hard to pick out bits and peices and give you the full comprehension.   Again, the simple explanation is that he took your place.  He was a scape goat for your wrongdoing, whatever they may be. 

P.S.  Let me know if you find that book, "God according to God".  I really hope your library has it or can get it.  Because I dont' know his other writings, I don't know what to expect.  I would assume His other books would be just as well thought out, but you never know. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for your time. Please

Thanks for your time. Please be patient if your answers raise more questions.

The problem with the "Jesus as scapegoat" idea is this - they didn't kill the scapegoat. They took it outside the town and set it loose. Why would God need to make this particular exception?

As for the death of Jesus the man - that cheapens it a bit doesn't it? As a man, he was nothing special - the specialness came from the divinity. Are you really saying nothing special was sacrificed to save my soul?

As for the book, I work for a university library with multiple branch campuses and have access to his other books. I'm pretty sure I can get my hands on it if a copy comes by.

— George Carlin

Di66en6ion
Di66en6ion's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Caposkia, do you have any

Caposkia, do you have any shred of evidence for a soul?

Start with defining it first. 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Thanks for

jcgadfly wrote:

The problem with the "Jesus as scapegoat" idea is this - they didn't kill the scapegoat. They took it outside the town and set it loose. Why would God need to make this particular exception?

As for the death of Jesus the man - that cheapens it a bit doesn't it? As a man, he was nothing special - the specialness came from the divinity. Are you really saying nothing special was sacrificed to save my soul?

As for the book, I work for a university library with multiple branch campuses and have access to his other books. I'm pretty sure I can get my hands on it if a copy comes by.

First of all.  Noticing the dates of when you posted, I am terribly sorry it took me so long to respond.  Life has been quite out of control as of lately. 

Onto the topic.  I am a very patient person. 

The scapegoat was taken outside the town and set loose so that it could wander into the desert and starve to death.  The main idea was that they were never to see it back in that town again.  

More common use of the scapegoat was to send it out behind a herd so that it would attract anything looking to eat the sheep.  When a scapegoat gets scared, it actually can't run and stiffins up.  This way, the wolves or whatever might be after the sheep will eat the goat instead.

Not so because Jesus was the perfect man.  He was completely sinless.  Pure blood of such character was needed for an appropriate sacrifice according to law.  Spiritually he was also forsaken by God and therefore it was more than just the life of the man that was sacrificed at that moment. 

Great news on that book.  I hope you do.  Like I said, it is his latest, therefore, it could be a little bit.  He took some perspectives I never thought of taking before.  We can discuss them when you can get your hands on it.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Di66en6ion wrote: Caposkia,

Di66en6ion wrote:

Caposkia, do you have any shred of evidence for a soul?

Start with defining it first. 

Well, by dictionary definition it is regarded as a distinct entity separate from the body, and commonly held to be separable in existence from the body.  Let me know if you need it to be more detailed.

Beyond that.  I guess any shred of evidence would be in question of what you would accept as evidence?  If you're looking for physical evidence of a soul or "soul DNA" then I think we're done talking...

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is no heaven and Caposkia's brain is proof

Only good and whole things are allowed in heaven. 

Caposkia, your last post was a joke.

There's something tiresome about reading all these sensible posts from decent people

attempting to reason with a complete idiot.

Go away, you numbat. You're wasting our precious life.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

This is where it's important to understand the cooperation within the "trinity" as some like to call it.  Though they "share one being" they are "separate persons".

The best way to answer this is to say that Jesus...the man died.  

Notice in scripture as Jesus is on the cross, He shouts to God the father; "Father Father, why have you forsaken me?"  This signifies that:

1.  They are not one in the same person, but 2 completely separate persons. 

2. It also shows that Jesus was basically on His own to die.

So.  God didn't die, Jesus, the man died. 

jcgadfly wrote:

There are many reasons behind this.

God promised His people that at the appropriate time, there would be one coming down that would be the one sacrifice for all.  This would bring the unity and presence of God that was lacking from the implication of the law forward. 

It also brought a new level of relationship with God.  Now that Jesus came down, God's followers were more than "servants" but understood as members of God's family which is the relationship God always sought from His people.   It was one step closer and brought around the understanding that no one person is better than another.  The relationship between God and His people and equality from person to person is what was always intended, but rarely followed or understood.  (my explanation)

Jesus was to be the true example to follow.  He clarified and fulfilled what the Law never could to the people. 

it had nothing to do with the community getting larger.  Jesus was promised for a long time. 

There's so much in depth detail that we could go into to fully comprehend the purpose and meaning of Jesus and the sacrifice.  It takes quite the while to cover all the basis.  The simple answer is unity and closer relationship to God for all people and not just a select few like the Jewish leaders were trying to make it be. 

jcgadfly wrote:

well, there is.  From your explanation above, I can see you're taking it from a humanistic/materialistic perspective.  Be it that God is beyond the materialistic, or is metaphysical, There is a lot more to it.  As I said, Jesus (the physical man) died.  Jesus as the equal person to God experienced everything that death is. 

Getting into the soul aspect, once the "man" Jesus was dead, the soul or spirit lived on.  Matthew...??? I think... explained that after Jesus died on the cross, he went and preached to the beings in the underworld.. (which isn't a reference to hell, but just to the ones who were dead)  indicating that though the physical body died, Jesus lived just as the rest of our souls are said to live.  He then resurrected His physical body, injuries still in tact to prove that He is truly the one. 

Obviously to God, it's not a big deal, He could do that all day.  To sit there and feel the pain, to experience death with the full knowlege that he could get up and walk away from it at any time is a big deal.  I think if most people had the option to walk away from physical pain or torture and death, they would.  That takes quite the will. 

The resurrection was proof for us, not so much that it was a feat to concquer, but to show that He was really sent from God as a sacrifice.  The prophesies expained that they would know by this and many other miracles He did that he was really the son of God and not just someone trying to lead people astray. 

if the above wasn't sufficient enough or wasn't quite answering what you were asking, I apologise.  There's so much to it, it's hard to pick out bits and peices and give you the full comprehension.   Again, the simple explanation is that he took your place.  He was a scape goat for your wrongdoing, whatever they may be. 

P.S.  Let me know if you find that book, "God according to God".  I really hope your library has it or can get it.  Because I dont' know his other writings, I don't know what to expect.  I would assume His other books would be just as well thought out, but you never know. 

Quote:
Again, the simple explanation is that he took your place.  He was a scape goat for your wrongdoing, whatever they may be.

Which makes it that much easier for one to make excuses for their mistakes. "It is not my fault, I am a sinner".

BTW where do you think "scapegoat" came from? Christianity simply took the animal sacrifice motif and switched it to human sacrifice, but the MOTIF is the same. Offer something up to god so he wont hurt you.

BTW, if one is to assume your deity model for argument's sake, I was forced into this life and did not consent to this "deal" and no one asked me if I wanted someone to go to prison for me in my place.

This Jesus character acts like a celebrity stalker, "Look, I slit my wrists for you".

Quote:
He then resurrected His physical body, injuries still in tact to prove that He is truly the one.

Ok, let me understand. He gets speared in the side. All the blood drains from his body, and as such, suffers brain death, organ failure and cardiac arrest and complete cellular death, but somehow waves his magic fingers and becomes a zombie?

You do realize that reanimation of body parts IS NOT a new motif in theism. Isis reanimated the penis of Osirus to mate with it to have Horus.

Isis magically making the penis alive again, you don't believe, but an entire human body is ok?

You conflate the details as being special when the motif of hero worship have been around since the first deities were uttered by humans.

Horus also sat next to Ra and Osirus in judgment of the dead. He too rose from his death in spirit to vanquish his enemies.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

There's something tiresome about reading all these sensible posts from decent people

I be the first to say that Caposkia is full of crap. But if you look at when Cap joined and how long Cap has stuck around it shows promise. And Cap wouldn't be here month after month if something were not sinking in. Not to mention all the mere spectators who are not in as deep that are not sure, will read these posts and see that we are right.

I want Cap here because I like the practice and I do not judge Cap as an individual, merely just the claims made. I don't think you need to treat someone who has been here this long like a newbie trolling. Cap is making the effort, no matter how bad we think the arguments are.

I like Cap. I like people who can take the punches and don't take it personally. Cap will be the first to say that I am the most blasphemous and "in your face" but will never accuse me of hating someone merely because I think they are full of shit. I don't think you give enough credit to Cap, and Cap is not a troll.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

First of all.  Noticing the dates of when you posted, I am terribly sorry it took me so long to respond.  Life has been quite out of control as of lately. 

Onto the topic.  I am a very patient person. 

The scapegoat was taken outside the town and set loose so that it could wander into the desert and starve to death.  The main idea was that they were never to see it back in that town again.  

More common use of the scapegoat was to send it out behind a herd so that it would attract anything looking to eat the sheep.  When a scapegoat gets scared, it actually can't run and stiffins up.  This way, the wolves or whatever might be after the sheep will eat the goat instead.

Not so because Jesus was the perfect man.  He was completely sinless.  Pure blood of such character was needed for an appropriate sacrifice according to law.  Spiritually he was also forsaken by God and therefore it was more than just the life of the man that was sacrificed at that moment. 

Great news on that book.  I hope you do.  Like I said, it is his latest, therefore, it could be a little bit.  He took some perspectives I never thought of taking before.  We can discuss them when you can get your hands on it.

The scapegoat was sinless until the priest laid hands on it and pronounced the sins of the people over its silly head.

Jesus was sinless until his Father pronounced the sins of man over his bleeding carcass.

In any case, the goat died and stayed dead. The fleshy mass that was Jesus languished for about 3 days without Jesus in it (depending on how you believe, he either went into hell at full godly power and kicked satanic butt or led the patriarchs to heaven)

Then he returned, picked up his body, visited a few people and went back to being part of the godhead.

It's not exactly a parallel.

— George Carlin

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian wrote

Fair call Brian. I have to admit that when I read this stuff it morphs into the decades long argument

I have not yet won. At 800 plus posts over a number of years, Caposkia shows that most christian

of virtues - endurance.

No personal offense intended Caposkia - I mistook you for my brother, Tom.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Di66en6ion
Di66en6ion's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:Di66en6ion

caposkia wrote:

Di66en6ion wrote:

I think the real questions here is why people wont believe observed repeatable tests but will believe 2nd/3rd hand accounts of events in a time that had predominantly oral traditions of passing down information. You can't even get a complete message out of a chain of 10 people whispering to eachother yet people assume it's authority because of its age. It's even been shown that your own memories are distorted quite a bit after a while. 

It seems to me if you give credence to the bible then you have to do the same for every other maddening bit of fictional work out there. 

well, let's see here:

1.  What 'observed repeatable tests' are you referring to that you claim I don't believe?

2. thousands of translations of many Biblical scripture through thousands of years have proven to be almost identical which untimately blows your "operator" theory out of the water.

3. why would credence to the Bible ultimately give way to the same for all fictional work?  Don't tell me it's fictional either.  Maybe do some homework.  Start with the Archeological study Bible maybe.  Either that, or show me a map of the land of Nod and how to get there from here.

1. Not specifically directed toward you. Has to do with the more general claptrap people believe even when there is a complete lack of evidence supporting their claims. (ie. miracles)

2. Yeah, has nothing to do with that ~50-120 year gap between when these events supposedly took place and the time they were written in the NT. 

3. What, you think just because there are archeological congruencies with places mentioned in the bible that automatically validates every fairytale "miracle" also mentioned in it? If I can find other fictional work with congruencies in history, why are those less authentic than yours?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Di66en6ion wrote:caposkia

Di66en6ion wrote:

caposkia wrote:

Di66en6ion wrote:

well, let's see here:

1. Not specifically directed toward you. Has to do with the more general claptrap people believe even when there is a complete lack of evidence supporting their claims. (ie. miracles)

2. Yeah, has nothing to do with that ~50-120 year gap between when these events supposedly took place and the time they were written in the NT. 

3. What, you think just because there are archeological congruencies with places mentioned in the bible that automatically validates every fairytale "miracle" also mentioned in it? If I can find other fictional work with congruencies in history, why are those less authentic than yours?

I keep trying to explain this as have countless other atheists.

We know that George Washington existed, and we know that Washington DC exists, but no sane person would claim that he could fart a full sized Lamborghini out of his ass.

In an age of DNA and Ipods you'd think that this crap would rightfully put in the myth bin where it belongs.

It is nothing more than a psychological placebo in an attempt to escape our own mortality. If we can convince ourselves that their is a super hero that will save us, we can avoid our finite existence. How Christians think they are escaping the same human flaw all other religions have, past and present, is absurd. Super heros don't exist. Allah is a myth, Yahwey is a myth and so too that of the magic of Jesus.

How anyone can willfully believe that a claimed being with no body and no DNA can magically get a girl pregnant is beyond me. If you can swallow that then why not believe that George Washington can fart a full sized Lamborghini out of his ass. BOTH claims to be believed require suspension of skepticism and reason.

It merely amounts to something the person wants to believe because the idea sounds comforting. I'd like to date Lucy Lawless, but I don't delude myself into actually thinking I am.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

wait... now it's my turn to cry and get offended and say; "nnn-nnooo, your the idiot!!!"

c'mon, who are you trying to fool?  You have a choice whether you want to read and comment on this forum or not.  The only one wasting your precious life is you. 

Now if you want to try some intelligent debate or conversation, I'll be waiting.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Which makes it

Brian37 wrote:

Which makes it that much easier for one to make excuses for their mistakes. "It is not my fault, I am a sinner".

That would be the hypocrite's way out.

Brian37 wrote:

BTW where do you think "scapegoat" came from? Christianity simply took the animal sacrifice motif and switched it to human sacrifice, but the MOTIF is the same. Offer something up to god so he wont hurt you.

e.g. community service for a shortened sentence or no sentence at all... yea, can't argue there.

Brian37 wrote:

BTW, if one is to assume your deity model for argument's sake, I was forced into this life and did not consent to this "deal" and no one asked me if I wanted someone to go to prison for me in my place.

it.

1.  You can't remember before birth, therefore you have no evidence to support such a theory that you had "no choice"... unless there's something you're not telling me.

(btw, I'm not arguing either way, just making a 'logic' point)

2. He died for everyone.  If you chose not to accept that, then He really didn't do it for you.  Only for those who accept it. 

Brian37 wrote:

This Jesus character acts like a celebrity stalker, "Look, I slit my wrists for you".

...but He didn't actually do it to Himself.  He actually pleaded to not have to go through with it if it wasn't needed. 

It's like someone running in front of a bus to push you out of the way.  They ended up saving your life while losing their own.

Brian37 wrote:

Ok, let me understand. He gets speared in the side. All the blood drains from his body, and as such, suffers brain death, organ failure and cardiac arrest and complete cellular death, but somehow waves his magic fingers and becomes a zombie?

You do realize that reanimation of body parts IS NOT a new motif in theism. Isis reanimated the penis of Osirus to mate with it to have Horus.

Isis magically making the penis alive again, you don't believe, but an entire human body is ok?

I never said I didn't believe it.  I'm not familiar with that story.  The problem with your arguement is it wasn't "zombie reannimation"  Jesus Himself was alive and well.  Yes injuries still there, but proof that it was the same body alive after death. 

Also, it wasn't another person summoning Jesus back to life.  You're way overanalyzing the resurrection and in turn falling way off track.  The simple evidence to followers was that He overcame death and therefore is able to do that for us too. 

Brian37 wrote:

You conflate the details as being special when the motif of hero worship have been around since the first deities were uttered by humans.

Horus also sat next to Ra and Osirus in judgment of the dead. He too rose from his death in spirit to vanquish his enemies.

Are you saying they're higher than God Almighty?  If so, please provide evidence of that. 

Strangely, I don't think you believe in a God at all yet, which makes that irrelevant at this moment.  Once you can accept the existance of a metaphysical being, then we can go into "why the Christian God?"

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: The

jcgadfly wrote:

The scapegoat was sinless until the priest laid hands on it and pronounced the sins of the people over its silly head.

Jesus was sinless until his Father pronounced the sins of man over his bleeding carcass.

In any case, the goat died and stayed dead. The fleshy mass that was Jesus languished for about 3 days without Jesus in it (depending on how you believe, he either went into hell at full godly power and kicked satanic butt or led the patriarchs to heaven)

Then he returned, picked up his body, visited a few people and went back to being part of the godhead.

It's not exactly a parallel.

Not precisely parallel, but keep in mind that the goat sacrifice was done repeatedly and understood to not be sufficient  to redeem sins after the sacrifice, whereas Jesus' sacrifice was "once for the world for all time" (until His return). 

I think you see the reason why He was considered a scapegoat.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:Fair

Atheistextremist wrote:

Fair call Brian. I have to admit that when I read this stuff it morphs into the decades long argument

I have not yet won. At 800 plus posts over a number of years, Caposkia shows that most christian

of virtues - endurance.

No personal offense intended Caposkia - I mistook you for my brother, Tom.

None taken.  As Brian said, I don't take offense easily... and won't on here.  Words are words. 

As I've done with Brian and you just now in the other post as well is become intensely sarcastic and blow it off.  I have fun with those posts and laugh about many of them.  I'm always ready for a serious conversation amidst all of it.