Still Another Question for Catholics

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Still Another Question for Catholics

OK I am finally asking this here. I asked Shelley as she's a former Catholic, but unfortunately she didn't know. So this goes out to any current or former Catholics:

Would a Catholic be excommunicated for pouring yogurt on the pope's head?

It would be hilarious to see happen - all over his asshat and running down his head and cheeks while he has a shocked expression - along with anyone else that witnesses it.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Thinking

I was baptized catholic as an infant, a religious rite that I think should be illegal, I went through all the religious rites, communion, confirmation.  I think that is all except for the marriage.  I left that organization before they could do that to me.  NEVER in my wildest dreams have I ever thought of getting that close to the pope.  do you really think anyone can get close enough to him to do such a thing?  I doubt it.

That would be funny

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Throw it at him?

Throw it at him? He does mingle with people sometimes right?

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
It would depend on the pope

It would depend on the pope in question. I honestly believe that if it were Ratzinger, that yeah,  the person would be excommunicated, and quite painfully, too. John Paul II, however, would probably have been kinda shocked and then would have laughed it off as a childish prank.

Vote for McCain... www.therealmccain.com ...and he'll bring Jesus back

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I think there should be a

I think there should be a challenge to all Catholics who are currently atheists who haven't been to try to get excommunicated just for the lulz and the message.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
LOL

MattShizzle wrote:

Still laughing ....   he has his security guards, but good luck.  I'll be watching from the safety of my home, providing the Gestapo doesn't track us down first.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I was never Catholic so I

I was never Catholic so I can't do it. Well, I could but you can't excommunicate someone who was never communicated in the first place. If that actually happened and I saw it on the news I'd laugh so hard I'd likely piss myself.

Ratfuck's a pope that really deserves it, too.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks wrote:MattShizzle

Boon Docks wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

Still laughing ....   he has his security guards, but good luck.  I'll be watching from the safety of my home, providing the Gestapo doesn't track us down first.

right, he is a registered Nazi after all, despite his avowal he only joined to keep from getting killed.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
On a side note, are you all

On a side note, are you all aware many fundies think the Antichrist is going to be a pope?

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
How

MattShizzle wrote:

I think there should be a challenge to all Catholics who are currently atheists who haven't been to try to get excommunicated just for the lulz and the message.

Just for the S & G's how does a person get excommunicated?  Having done almost everything else with that damn place/organization I almost feel left out.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kay Cat wrote:right, he is a

Kay Cat wrote:

right, he is a registered Nazi after all, despite his avowal he only joined to keep from getting killed.

bullshit.  i never read about any boy being killed for not joining hitler youth.  socially ostracized maybe, but not killed.

btw, john paul ii wasn't as cute and kindly as a lot of people think.  he was extremely media savvy and knew exactly what image to create.  read any of hans kung's books on christianity.  he rarely has a kind word for john paul.  he was no more liberal than ratzinger by any means.

i'm not into popes in general, but if i had to choose a good one, it'd definitely be john xxiii. 

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
yeah, I'm one of three

yeah, I'm one of three sisters, and two of us gave up on the Catholic Church as adults. My crazy sister gave it up after confirmation and became a fundie, who yes, swears the Pope thats going to come from Spain is going to be the Anti-Christ.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Throw it

MattShizzle wrote:

i don't think he leaves the pope-mobile much in public... they also probably have giant windshield wipers on the thing.  i'm sure some pope at some point in time has had a tomato tossed at him.

i didn't know how to answer because you can be excommunicated for physical force against his holiness, but is a plastic tub of active cultures equal to force?  i guess it depends what speed it hits him at. 

as far as an atheist trying to get excommunicated to send a message, i'd personally prefer not to do something that involved violence.  while yogurt seems harmless enough for all we know he could have his mouth open and be lactose intolerant or the little plastic cup could splinter on his fancy hat and poke him in the eye.  i'd rather be excommunicated for desecrating the eucharist or abortion (to clarify - i would not go out and get pregnant just to prove a point.)

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Kay Cat

iwbiek wrote:

Kay Cat wrote:

bullshit.  i never read about any boy being killed for not joining hitler youth.  socially ostracized maybe, but not killed.

btw, john paul ii wasn't as cute and kindly as a lot of people think.  he was extremely media savvy and knew exactly what image to create.  read any of hans kung's books on christianity.  he rarely has a kind word for john paul.  he was no more liberal than ratzinger by any means.

i'm not into popes in general, but if i had to choose a good one, it'd definitely be john xxiii. 

well, excuse me for interpreting some things he has said to Catholics in the wrong manner. I'll be sure to ask for your obviously correct interpretation the next time. As for John Paul II, I know he wasn't the saint people claim him to have been, but you are right about him being knowing, and it's based upon his astuteness that I think he wouldn't excommunicate anyone who pulled such a stunt. It took a considerable amount of shenanigans on Madonna's part for her to get excommunicated after all.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks wrote:MattShizzle

Boon Docks wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

Just for the S & G's how does a person get excommunicated?  Having done almost everything else with that damn place/organization I almost feel left out.

the problem with excommunication is that it's not permanent - it's simply a measure meant to pressure someone into compliance.  madonna was excommunicated, wasn't she?

examples of things you can be excommunicated for include: desecration of the eucharist, getting an abortion or being an accomplice to one, a priest violating the seal of the confessional, revealing secret information without the pope's consent, physical force against the pope, creating a splinter of the catholic church, formally abandoning the faith, maintaining an opinion contrary to the teachings of the catholic church...

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kay Cat wrote:yeah, I'm one

Kay Cat wrote:

yeah, I'm one of three sisters, and two of us gave up on the Catholic Church as adults. My crazy sister gave it up after confirmation and became a fundie, who yes, swears the Pope thats going to come from Spain is going to be the Anti-Christ.

jesus, fundies ALWAYS say the next fucking pope is going to be the antichrist.  so far, big let down.

btw, i now live in slovakia.  do you know how revered john paul ii is here?  the only slavic pope so far.  my wife, who is slovak, is a lapsed catholic and even she gets defensive when i bad-mouth him.  and go north to poland...wow...poland is fucking scary.  his face is on everything!  books, posters, keychains, bottles, wallets, postcards, stickers, placemats...shit, mao could've learned a thing or two.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kay Cat wrote:well, excuse

Kay Cat wrote:

well, excuse me for interpreting some things he has said to Catholics in the wrong manner. I'll be sure to ask for your obviously correct interpretation the next time. As for John Paul II, I know he wasn't the saint people claim him to have been, but you are right about him being knowing, and it's based upon his astuteness that I think he wouldn't excommunicate anyone who pulled such a stunt. It took a considerable amount of shenanigans on Madonna's part for her to get excommunicated after all.

pardon.  i was calling bullshit on ratzinger, not you.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Whoa

Kay Cat wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Kay Cat wrote:

well, excuse me for interpreting some things he has said to Catholics in the wrong manner. I'll be sure to ask for your obviously correct interpretation the next time.

What's the matter Kay Cat, do you need bigger batteries ??

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Kay Cat

iwbiek wrote:

Kay Cat wrote:

jesus, fundies ALWAYS say the next fucking pope is going to be the antichrist.  so far, big let down.

btw, i now live in slovakia.  do you know how revered john paul ii is here?  the only slavic pope so far.  my wife, who is slovak, is a lapsed catholic and even she gets defensive when i bad-mouth him.  and go north to poland...wow...poland is fucking scary.  his face is on everything!  books, posters, keychains, bottles, wallets, postcards, stickers, placemats...shit, mao could've learned a thing or two.

don't they always? Honestly,  I'm glad my fundie sister usually ignores my existence when she goes off on one of those rants. religion is a disease, and even when someone religious is right about one thing, it's no good, because they are so intrinsically wrong about everything else.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks wrote:Kay Cat

Boon Docks wrote:

Kay Cat wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Kay Cat wrote:

well, excuse me for interpreting some things he has said to Catholics in the wrong manner. I'll be sure to ask for your obviously correct interpretation the next time.

What's the matter Kay Cat, do you need bigger batteries ??

nah, just need to stop posting at every interesting development of a thread. Laughing out loud

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
So spitting out the cracker

So spitting out the cracker and stomping on it would be a good way to get excommunicated!

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
The attack on any cleric,

The attack on any cleric, bishop, or the pope is grounds for excommuincation, this includes simply striking or slapping any cleric per the constitution adopted in 1869. In addition pursuing with hostile intent any cleric is grounds.  An atheist ex-catholic would already be eligible for excommunication as they have left the 'true faith' We are considered apostates from the Catholic Church for our departure and rejection of Catholic dogma. In addition, all those who read works (writing) by heretics are also excommunicated. Even having the writing of heretic authors is cause. I would guess this includes Dawkins and probably the RRS.  So it seems yes an atheist Catholic would be excommunicated and for multiple reasons. See Newadvent for more.

Depending where the pouring the yogurt on the pope occurred you may also be charged with assault or assault & battery. In the US, you may also get charged with a hate crime. You can bet the Catholic League would be out for your skin.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
So a good way would be

So a good way would be making a Blasphemy Challenge Video and forwarding it to the pope?

[email protected]

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Yes, a blasphemy vid would

Yes, a blasphemy vid would work or just simply send an email telling them you reject the pope and Catholic dogma as you are now an atheist. Baptized Catholics can send an email to their local bishop who also can excommunicate you for being a heretic.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Ehh...this "getting excommunicated" seems a waste of time to me

...but then again, I know that I'm already excommunicated.  I was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints.  In Rome's eyes, I therefore have professed a non-Christian religion, and am thus excommunicated by that very fact itself.   Of course, since I now publicly profess atheism, and have thus compounded my deep heresies with total apostasy, I...well...I'm still excommunicated.  Not much effort required.

Conor

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I think

MattShizzle wrote:

the lulz and the message? What message? If I found Brian Sapient walking down the street and spit at him, that wouldn't be much of of message, other than that I'm pretty much a loon. 

"I'm really an idiot! I have my own head way the fuck up my ass! Watch me dig myself into a hole over and over again!" ~Rook Hawkins (just citing sources)

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Asshat, you aren't banned

Asshat, you aren't banned yet? If you found me and spit at me you'd have a broken nose. E mailing the pope a blasphmy challenge video is very different (by the way what I posted is really the pope's e mail!)

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
e - mail

MattShizzle wrote:

So a good way would be making a Blasphemy Challenge Video and forwarding it to the pope?

[email protected]

What religion(s) do not use computers or internet?  I thought I had heard of this once ?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The Amish certainly don't.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
[mod edit: deleted duplicate

[mod edit: deleted duplicate post]

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Asshat,

MattShizzle wrote:

Asshat, you aren't banned yet? If you found me and spit at me you'd have a broken nose.

Well, I'm a fairly big intimidating dark dude, and marine corps vet. Now, I don't go around looking for fights, and I have no desire to actually spit on you, but I'm sure if I actually did, you wouldn't try and break my nose, but your rationality would kick in, and you'd probably think I was a crazy mother fucker, who if crazy enough to spit on you, would be crazy enough to do a lot worse, so it would perhaps be wiser to walk way. 

But like I said, I have no desire to spit on you, and if I actually did run in to you at some humanist function or whatever else, I'd probably shake your hand, and say "hey, buddy how's life?".

Quote:
E mailing the pope a blasphmy challenge video is very different (by the way what I posted is really the pope's e mail!)

Well, I was talking about pouring yogurt on the pope's head, not sending him a blasphmy challenge video.

"I'm really an idiot! I have my own head way the fuck up my ass! Watch me dig myself into a hole over and over again!" ~Rook Hawkins (just citing sources)

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:The Amish

MattShizzle wrote:

they might be able to use a computer as long as they don't own it.  they could definitely hire somebody else to do the work for them.

i remember back in college going on wal-mart runs and frequently seeing amish come pouring out of a conversion van.  it was explained to me later that it's perfectly acceptable for them to accept a ride in a car as long as they don't own one.  part of my world was crushed that day.

--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Well, I'm a

theidiot wrote:

Well, I'm a fairly big intimidating dark dude, and marine corps vet.

why is it necessary to add "dark"?

and marine corps doesn't automatically make you a badass.  one guy i graduated high school with joined the corps because he spent his whole high school career playing pc games all night and sleeping through all his classes.  it's a wonder he graduated.  anyway, last time i saw him, a few months ago, he was as whiney and bitchy as ever.  granted, he was slightly fitter looking, but not exactly major dad.

anybody else remember major dad?

--Hunter S. Thompson

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Would a

MattShizzle wrote:

I'm going on conversations with my priest from many years ago, so I'm not sure how accurate this is.

It's my recollection that only individuals of office or stature within the (Roman) Catholic church can be excommunicated.  The idea of excommunication with RC is to mark an individual as someone not to be followed in 'deed or creed'.  So I think if a cardinal were to pour the yogurt then he'd get excommunicated but your normal lay-catholic wouldn't.  I'm making the presumption that a cardinal would be because 'attacking' the pontiff isn't exactly the most faithful thing to do...

Not only that but I'm fairly certain that RCs can have their excommunication lifted by an act of repentance.  I'm also sure that it has to be lifted by someone of suitable authority i.e the same level or higher in the church than the individual that decreed the excommunication.

M

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
MichaelMcF wrote:MattShizzle

MichaelMcF wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

I'm going on conversations with my priest from many years ago, so I'm not sure how accurate this is.

It's my recollection that only individuals of office or stature within the (Roman) Catholic church can be excommunicated.  The idea of excommunication with RC is to mark an individual as someone not to be followed in 'deed or creed'.  So I think if a cardinal were to pour the yogurt then he'd get excommunicated but your normal lay-catholic wouldn't.  I'm making the presumption that a cardinal would be because 'attacking' the pontiff isn't exactly the most faithful thing to do...

Not only that but I'm fairly certain that RCs can have their excommunication lifted by an act of repentance.  I'm also sure that it has to be lifted by someone of suitable authority i.e the same level or higher in the church than the individual that decreed the excommunication.

M

Any Catholic can be excommunicated the intent is to force repentance or control behavior.

Depending on the reason for the excommunication after an act of repentance it is lifted by the appropriate level, though sometimes public repentance is required.

See this link for more.

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Would a

MattShizzle wrote:

I'm not sure I could do this.

On second thought...

If the yogurt was past its expiration date then.... yeah, I could.

Sleestack
Sleestack's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

Yes, a blasphemy vid would work or just simply send an email telling them you reject the pope and Catholic dogma as you are now an atheist. Baptized Catholics can send an email to their local bishop who also can excommunicate you for being a heretic.

I would totally put that on my resume. Heretic - Documentation provided...

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote: anybody else

iwbiek wrote:

anybody else remember major dad?

Sure do. Used to watch it all the time with my big brother..sigh.Good times.

On topic what the hell? Do you have nothing better to do than spam the boards with stupid questions about the pope and youghurt? Who cares? You aren't catholic and there are certainly much more mature ways to get excommunicated, including methods that aren't considered assualt.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:OK I am

MattShizzle wrote:

OK I am finally asking this here. I asked Shelley as she's a former Catholic, but unfortunately she didn't know. So this goes out to any current or former Catholics:

It would be hilarious to see happen - all over his asshat and running down his head and cheeks while he has a shocked expression - along with anyone else that witnesses it.

Matt,  you don't seem to understand.  According to the catholic church, anyone who isn't a catholic is an apostate.  This includes protestants, muslims, hindu, buddhist, and...jew.  Remember, 'in the beginning' the followers of Jesus (lets pretend I believe there was a jesus) were trying to convert jews.  There was no 'new testament' only the Torah (& etc) of the jewish law.

It was Saul (Paul) of Tarsus who had the 'revelation'/dream that the gentiles should be converted to the new religion and christianity was created...specifically Roman Catholic Christianity.  It doesn't matter that there were other jewish/christian sects that may even have preceeded the RC version.   They either were absorbed or destroyed as heresies. 

That's what RCC does to those who don't believe what they preach.  They brand you a heretic (which wasn't always a bad word and just means 'school of thought') and kill you.  Recall the inquisitions carried out with great enthusiasm by the RCC by several specially commissioned religious Orders (Dominican/Franciscan).

Nobody cares now about being excommunicated...they will just join a protestant church and still partake in the canabalistic rites (eucharist).  Big difference, they don't have to confess to a priest and do penance (Hail Mary/Our Father/etc) to be forgiven. 

It's not like in the 'dark ages' when people believed all illness was from demons.  Then, if your sovereign was excommunicated...no priest could give any citizen communion.   The average person (ignorant/uneducated/ and superstitious) fully believed without a regular 'dose' of the eucharist, they would build up evil in themselves and die and go to hell.  All because their sovereign pissed off the pope.

I forget which king had to go begging on his knees to plead the pope's forgiveness so that the excommunicaton against his kingdom would be lifted. 

Then kings started getting smarter and the power of the papacy (which is a fake and unbiblical) began to wain.  However, never forget that catholics have been indoctrinated from birth to believe that their pope is christ's vicar on earth and is infallible.  If the pope says there must be a crusade to convert all humans to the 'one true faith' catholics will rise to the occassion.

Source: Pope Innocent III, Fourth Lateran Council, 1215.

"There is but one universal Church of the faithful, outside which no one at all is saved."

Source: Papal BullUnam Sanctam, by Pope Boniface VIII, 1302. "We declare, say, define, and pronounce that it is absolutely necessary for the salvation of every human creature to be subject to the Roman Pontiff."

Source: Papal Bull Cantate Domino , by Pope Eugene IV, 1441.

"The most Holy Roman Church firmly believes, professes and preaches that none of those existing outside the Catholic Church, not only pagans, but also Jews and heretics and schismatics, can have a share in life eternal; but that they will go into the eternal fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels, unless before death they are joined with Her; and that so important is the unity of this ecclesiastical body that only those remaining within this unity can profit by the sacraments of the Church unto salvation, and they alone can receive an eternal recompense for their fasts, their almsgivings, their other works of Christian piety and the duties of a Christian soldier. No one, let his almsgiving be as great as it may, no one, even if he pour out his blood for the Name of Christ, can be saved, unless he remain within the bosom and the unity of the Catholic Church."

Source: The Church Teaches, by Jesuit Fathers of St. Mary's College, St. Marys, Kansas, published by TAN Books and Publishers, Inc.,
Rockford, Illinois, 61105, Copyright 1973, pages 8-9.

Excerpt from the Creed of the Council of Trent (1564):

"I unhesitatingly accept and profess all the doctrines (especially those concerning the primacy of the Roman Pontiff and his infallible teaching authority) handed down, defined, and explained by the sacred canons and ecumenical councils and especially those of this most holy Council of Trent (and by the ecumenical Vatican Council). And at the same time I condemn, reject, and anathematize everything that is contrary to those propositions, and all heresies without exception that have been condemned, rejected, and anathematized by the Church. I, N., promise, vow, and swear that, with God's help, I shall most constantly hold and profess this true Catholic faith, outside which no one can be saved and which I now freely profess and truly hold. With the help of God, I shall profess it whole and unblemished to my dying breath; and, to the best of my ability, I shall see to it that my subjects or those entrusted to me by virtue of my office hold it, teach it, and preach it. So help me God and his holy Gospel. [The words in parentheses in this paragraph are now inserted into the Tridentine profession of faith by order of Pope Pius IX in a decree issued by the Holy Office, January 20, 1877 "(Acta Sanctae Sedis, X [1877], pp. 71 ff.).]

Source: Encyclical: SINGULARI QUIDEM, ON THE CHURCH IN AUSTRIA, of Pope Pius IX, March 17, 1856.

4. "... There is only one divine faith which is the beginning of salvation for mankind and the basis of all justification, the faith by which the just person lives and without which it is impossible to please God and to come to the community of His children.[2] There is only one true, holy, Catholic church, which is the Apostolic Roman Church. There is only one See founded in Peter by the word of the Lord,[3] outside of which we cannot find either true faith or eternal salvation. He who does not have the Church for a mother cannot have God for a father, and whoever abandons the See of Peter on which the Church is established trusts falsely that he is in the Church.[4] Thus, there can be no greater crime, no more hideous stain than to stand up against Christ, than to divide the Church engendered and purchased by His blood, than to forget evangelical love and to combat with the furor of hostile discord the harmony of the people of God.[5]

2. Rom 1; Heb 11; Council of Trent, session 6, chap. 8.
3. St. Cyprian, epistle 43.
4. Ibid., de unitat. Eccl.
5. Ibid., epistle 72."

Source: Encyclical: Quanto Conficiamur Moerore of Pope Pius IX, On Promotion of False Doctrines, August 10, 1863.

8. Also well known is the Catholic teaching that no one can be saved outside the Catholic Church. Eternal salvation cannot be obtained by those who oppose the authority and statements of the same Church and are stubbornly separated from the unity of the Church and also from the successor of Peter, the Roman Pontiff, to whom "the custody of the vineyard has been committed by the Savior."

Source: Pope Leo XIII, Encyclical Letter: Sapientiae Christianae (On the Chief Duties of Christians as Citizens), from paragraph 22, dated January 10, 1890, trans. in The Great Encyclical Letters of Pope Leo XIII (New York: Benziger, 1903), p. 193.

But the supreme teacher in the Church is the Roman Pontiff. Union of minds, therefore, requires, together with a perfect accord in the one faith, complete submission and obedience of will to the Church and to the Roman Pontiff, as to God Himself.

Source: Encyclical of Pope Leo XIII: SATIS COGNITUMON, THE UNITY OF THE CHURCH, June 29, 1896.

8. "... It was thus the duty of all who heard Jesus Christ, if they wished for eternal salvation, not merely to accept His doctrine as a whole, but to assent with their entire mind to all and every point of it, since it is unlawful to withhold faith from God even in regard to one single point. ...
9. The Church, founded on these principles and mindful of her office, has done nothing with greater zeal and endeavour than she has displayed in guarding the integrity of the faith. Hence she regarded as rebels and expelled from the ranks of her children all who held beliefs on any point of doctrine different from her own. The Arians, the Montanists, the Novatians, the Quartodecimans, the Eutychians, did not certainly reject all Catholic doctrine: they abandoned only a certain portion of it. Still who does not know that they were declared heretics and banished from the bosom of the Church? In like manner were condemned all authors of heretical tenets who followed them in subsequent ages. "There can be nothing more dangerous than those heretics who admit nearly the whole cycle of doctrine, and yet by one word, as with a drop of poison, infect the real and simple faith taught by our Lord and handed down by Apostolic tradition" (Auctor ).

"The practice of the Church has always been the same, as is shown by the unanimous teaching of the Fathers, who were wont to hold as outside Catholic communion, and alien to the Church, whoever would recede in the least degree from any point of doctrine proposed by her authoritative Magisterium. Epiphanius, Augustine, Theodore :, drew up a long list of the heresies of their times. St. Augustine notes that other heresies may spring up, to a single one of which, should any one give his assent, he is by the very fact cut off from Catholic unity. "No one who merely disbelieves in all (these heresies) can for that reason regard himself as a Catholic or call himself one. For there may be or may arise some other heresies, which are not set out in this work of ours, and, if any one holds to one single one of these he is not a Catholic" (S. Augustinus, , n. 88).

Source: The Catechism of the Catholic Church- online.

"Outside the Church there is no salvation"

"846     How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers? Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it."

If you don't accept catholicism and remain an apostate, you are liable for any persecution the catholic church deems appropriate...and believe me excommunication is the least of your worries. 

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lyzandra Daria wrote:[I

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

[I forget which king had to go begging on his knees to plead the pope's forgiveness so that the excommunicaton against his kingdom would be lifted.

that would be emperor henry iv, who waited three days outside the castle of canossa in the dead of winter, barefoot and in a hair shirt, for pope gregory vii to lift his excommunication.  this was a consequence of the so-called "investiture controversy" and was all political.  henry's penance, while dramatic, was probably not entirely heartfelt, since he soon went back to causing problems for gregory.  the fact that henry did his penance in italy rather than the germanic empire was a political move to the emperor's advantage, since the area around canossa was hostile to the papacy and it made henry look like the bigger man to submit.  henry iv was a very smart man and the germans were never terribly loyal to the papacy.  i doubt either he or his subjects were scared by the boogyman.

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

Then kings started getting smarter and the power of the papacy (which is a fake and unbiblical) began to wain.

judging from the history i've read, it wasn't so much about the kings getting smarter but about the popes getting more overbearing.  remember: the bishop of rome didn't start out saying he was ruler of the church, ruler of the world, infallible, etc.  all this developed over many centuries.  hans kung gives a good overview of this in his "christianity."

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

However, never forget that catholics have been indoctrinated from birth to believe that their pope is christ's vicar on earth and is infallible.  If the pope says there must be a crusade to convert all humans to the 'one true faith' catholics will rise to the occassion.

perhaps you've had different experiences from me.  the vast majority of the catholics i've met, both in america and here in slovakia (including my wife and all her family), are cultural catholics at best with no deep spiritual convictions.  if they have any religious beliefs, they're usually agnostic or pluralistic.  a lot of the catholics my age (26) think the pope's full of shit.  most of the village where we live is very dissatisfied with the priest.  i think the catholics who would "rise to the occassion" would be a very small minority indeed.  even in the days of the medieval crusades, most people went for economic or political reasons (easy money, easy land, easy title, etc.), not religious reasons.  the only big group of people i can personally say might go in for it are the polish.

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

If you don't accept catholicism and remain an apostate, you are liable for any persecution the catholic church deems appropriate...and believe me excommunication is the least of your worries.

have you or anyone you know been put on a rack recently?

--Hunter S. Thompson

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Attacking the dignity of the

Attacking the dignity of the pope's office (sic) without causing physical injury to his person is still a temporal assault according to the church's own rules. These are based on Thomas Aquinas's musings on the matter which are still taken very seriously by the big hat and frock brigade. According to Tom excommunication could never be a fair punishment to be used against temporal assault.

However - and it's crucial here - the will and intent of the assaulter should also be judged. If that is deemed to be evil then all bets are off and excommunication is back on the agenda again.

In recent times the excommunication thing has been scaled way down. At first they introduced "mild" forms of it which amounted to suspensions but now they only dish it out if someone is literally asking for it. It's not really a punishment either any more, more a recognition of what the subject has already demonstrated by their actions, and completely reversible if the perp keeps his or her head down, mouth shut, and serves his or her time. Getting back in depends on what level of frock wearer it was that threw you out (local gangs of bishops can decree it unilaterally). You just say sorry basically and hey presto.

However an attack of any description on the pope would be seen in a very bad light all round, so the guy can well afford to wipe the yoghurt off and smile beatifically back at his assailant offering platitudes of forgiveness. He knows the fucker's days of walking round with yoghurt cartons are well over!

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek

have you or anyone you know been put on a rack recently?

Short response, no.

Longer version...for your consideration...

http://www.compassdirect.org/en/display.php?page=news&lang=en&length=long&idelement=5257

MEXICO: CHRISTIANS IN GUERRERO EXPELLED FROM HOMES

In Chiapas, ‘traditionalist Catholics’ cut off water, electricity to 40 evangelicals.

“Traditionalist Catholics” this week expelled 20 evangelical Christians from a town in Guerrero state and cut off the electricity and water supplies to eight Protestant families in Chiapas state, Christian sources said.

Authorities in Tenango Tepexi, Guerrero, on Monday (February 18) removed 20 Christians in three families, including 14 children, from their homes. Sources said the Christians were temporarily held in town offices, then loaded onto trucks and dumped on the edge of town.

Town leaders supportive of the “traditionalist Catholics,” who practice a blend of Catholic and native religion, told them they would be burned to death if they tried to return.

The reason for the expulsion of the evangelicals: failure to pay fees for the raucous, drunken festivals honoring Catholic saints. Contrary to the Mexican constitution’s guarantee of religious liberty, many indigenous communities obligate villagers to contribute to and participate in the “traditionalist Catholic” festivals.

To contravene the guarantee of religious freedom, autocratic town bosses or “caciques” cite a constitutional provision protecting local “uses and customs,” which Christian lawyers say is meant to prevent the government from prohibiting native practices – not force villagers to participate in them. On Wednesday (February 20), the mayor of the municipality to which Tenango Tepexi belongs, Tlapa de Comonfort, invoked the “uses and customs” argument to force the evangelicals to pay fees for the religious festivals, though they would refuse to attend.

“It is important that they participate in their cooperation [paying fees] to make the festival greater,” said Mayor Martiniano Benitez Flores.

He added that no legal action would be taken against the town for having expelled the believers. The mayor offered to house the refugees temporarily and provide food for them until they can find new means of livelihood, but they have lost their homes and property.

Expelled were Jose Gonzalez Gonzalez, his wife Francisca and seven children, plus Nicolas Gonzalez Perez, his wife Ernestina and six children, and Armando Morales Dircio, his wife Catarina and a 1-year old son.

Unresolved Cases

In Chiapas, in the Santa Rita area of La Trinitaria municipality, traditionalist Catholics led by Antonio Hernandez Aguilar and Rolando Aguilar Hernandez on Monday (February 18) cut off the water and electricity of 40 people from eight evangelical families.

The reasons were similar: Traditionalist Catholics insisted that the Christians pay not only for the religious festivals but also help fund repairs of a Catholic church building. The families had refused to pay a fee of 10,000 pesos (US$928).

According to the National Bar of Christian Lawyers, the Christian families have accumulated unpaid fees totaling 40,000 pesos (US$3,711).

Adan Aguilar Perez, an evangelical leader in La Trinitaria, said conflicts with traditionalist Catholics stem from government unwillingness to enforce laws against religious intolerance.

Evangelical leaders in Chiapas acknowledge, however, that the government has taken some steps to guarantee religious liberty, including formation of a committee to act as a liaison between evangelicals and the state government. Manuel Morales Agustin, who has worked to organize municipal committees across the state for all religious groups, has been named to head the panel.

Such baby steps have been long awaited. In another Chiapas town, Paste in Zinacantan municipality, believers have not had access to water since December 26, 2000. They have been surviving on water brought by occasional trucks.

“The Catholic majority of traditionalists decided to suspend the service in reprisal for professing the evangelical religion,” according to reporter Elio Henriquez of the newspaper Cuarto Poder.

Some communities have responded simply by capitulating. In the neighboring state of Oaxaca, which also has a large indigenous population, many evangelical groups have decided to pay whatever the towns require in order to keep peace, according to lawyer Enrique Ángeles Cruz.

Still unresolved in Oaxaca state is a case in Santo Domingo Nuxaá, in Nochixtlán, where town authorities simply took over the property of the Divine Redeemer church and are building on it without compensation, in spite of legal protests.

In light of such incidents, in early February more than 300 evangelicals took part in a human rights forum held in Frontera Comala, Chiapas, organized by the National Bar of Christian Lawyers headed by Alfonso Farrera Gonzalez. Also in attendance were leaders from state and municipal religious affairs offices.

The bar asserts that 39 cases of religious intolerance are unresolved in Chiapas, along with 15 others in other parts of Mexico.

>>>

These are probably isolated incidents and it's reported that the 'catholics' " practice a blend of Catholic and native religion".  (which will probably result in a mini-inquisition of sorts).  Or perhaps the catholic church is becoming more tolerant...so long as the tithes keep pouring in to support the vatican and  maintain hispopeness in style and comfort.

But I believe being threatened with being burned to death is an idea learned from the inquisition.  39 cases along with another 15 incidents in other parts of Mexico is too damned close for comfort for me.  I'm sure if you search for information on catholics showing intolerance of non-catholics, you will find some evidence.

And very recently hispopeness Benedict XVI reminded everyone that there is only one true faith and outside of the catholic church there is no salvation.  I've also read that the Anglican Church of England is heading for a schism with some of the congregants wanting to switch back to catholicism because of their homophobia and a clash over ordaining female priests.  Looks like some fun times there.

PS:  just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't somebody out to get me.

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lyzandra Daria wrote:But I

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

But I believe being threatened with being burned to death is an idea learned from the inquisition.  39 cases along with another 15 incidents in other parts of Mexico is too damned close for comfort for me.  I'm sure if you search for information on catholics showing intolerance of non-catholics, you will find some evidence.

it could have been learned from the inquisition.  or native practises.  or the gringoes.  or any mixture of things.  xenophobia didn't originate with the catholics and will still be around long after they join the ranks of the vestal virgins, mithraists, druids, etc.  the point is, i don't think that catholics across the world would rally to the crimes of a few deranged mexicans and make war on people of all other beliefs.  no disrespect, but that sounds like something straight out of the mind of jack chick.

and i've seen plenty of evidence of catholic intolerance with my own eyes.  also the other way around.  my point is, your initial comments seemed to lump all catholics together and say all they would need is a nod from the pope to make mass warfare.  i see no evidence for that.  shit, the majority of muslims don't make mass warfare, despite what fucktards like bill o'reilly and pat robertson would have you believe, and they actually do have several leaders telling them to.

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

And very recently hispopeness Benedict XVI reminded everyone that there is only one true faith and outside of the catholic church there is no salvation. 

that doesn't surprise me coming from that fucker, but he's contradicting his own magisterium.  the second vatican council ruled quite clearly that salvation is possible in other religions, but more difficult.  vatican ii also ruled once and for all that the papal authority must submit to the authority of the ecumenical councils, of which vatican ii was one.

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

I've also read that the Anglican Church of England is heading for a schism with some of the congregants wanting to switch back to catholicism because of their homophobia and a clash over ordaining female priests.  Looks like some fun times there.

that doesn't surprise me.  the anglican church has never held it together very well.  it's no wonder, considering it was basically started so one fat fuck could get a divorce.  the anglican church is as secular as it comes, and it's a fact of human nature that wishy-washy belief systems don't hold people very long.  that's why there are so many more fundies than people in the world council of churches. 

--Hunter S. Thompson