Why not be SATANist?

Amoron.
Amoron.'s picture
User is offlineOffline
Why not be SATANist?

When, i was younger, i belived in god, i thought he was real, ha funny right?, anyway, well, i was stll young so i didnt really focuse (excuse my spelling) but now people are always talking about god more as i get older, like "he will save you" "you will be a better person" im sure all of us had heard the same thing, but then i thought about SATAN, i thought since my life sucks so much satan must be in controll so then i started noticing him more, I GUESS YOU CAN SAY, I WORSHIPED SATAN, but, ya, idk what i am now. hahaha.! Laughing out loud anyway WHAT ABOUT SATANIST YOU GUYS?????

ITS ALL, the behavior of humans.

mohammed
mohammed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Confutatis Maledictis

Confutatis Maledictis wrote:

I'm not sure I understand.  How is the way he lived his life and what he believed like a child making up their own make-believe world?

Simple. The doomed one implied that it was a big deal to make your own religion, as if that took some sort of great imagination. to which i replied that children show that kind of imagination everyday.

Quote:

Also, I'd love to see where he stole most of his "religion" from Christianity.  Many times in his book he mentions how, instead of being a religion in opposition to Christianity, it is a freestanding alternative.  He mocks those who fight religion by creating religions, and instead seems content to do his own thing above the fray.  I can provide quotes to back that up, if you want; I'd like to see where your seemingly knee-jerk reactions are coming from as well.

Lavey's version of satanism is not really satanism anyway. He did not even believe in Satan as already stated. but it WAS a religion to him.

"LaVey justifies Satanism as a religion by explaining that it is not merely a philosophy. He explains that one reason man has always had religion is because he has a need for dogma and ceremony; Satanism acknowledges this, and therefore supplies its adherents with dogma and ceremony in the form of magic and ritual. LaVey claims that it is precisely this trait that distinguishes Satanism from Humanism or other essentially atheistic philosophies, and makes it a true religion suited to man's carnal nature."

again i think Lavey was wrong, people don't need those things.

You said it yourself. "instead of being a religion in opposition to Christianity, it is a freestanding alternative." even though he DID consider it a religion it is an ANSWER of some sort to Christianity, thus making it dependant on that religion. if you really think the CHURCH of SATAN would be here without the bible your out of your mind.

concepts from the bible even though they may be there as mockery still come from that religion.

Church, bible, satan, lucifer, sins etc..

I don't have any problem with his atheist side of course. but his beliefs in magic and the paranormal are just as bad as believing in any religion.

P.S im sure the OP had no idea what lavey's satanism was about and probably ment the "real" satan!

Confutatis Male...
Confutatis Maledictis's picture
User is offlineOffline
mohammed wrote: Simple. The

mohammed wrote:

Simple. The doomed one implied that it was a big deal to make your own religion, as if that took some sort of great imagination. to which i replied that children show that kind of imagination everyday.

Oh, well that is true, but his imagination isn't what people like me remember in LaVey.

Quote:

Lavey's version of satanism is not really satanism anyway. He did not even believe in Satan as already stated. but it WAS a religion to him.

No, he did not believe in Satan as an actual entity.  The fact that when people talk of Satanism, they think of his brand, sort of implies that that is what Satanism is.  He, in practice, hated the Satanism that you're thinking of (killing babies, trying to raise demons) as much as he hated Christianity, because it involved as much faith as Christianity did.  I can get quotes for you on that, too.

Quote:

"LaVey justifies Satanism as a religion by explaining that it is not merely a philosophy. He explains that one reason man has always had religion is because he has a need for dogma and ceremony; Satanism acknowledges this, and therefore supplies its adherents with dogma and ceremony in the form of magic and ritual. LaVey claims that it is precisely this trait that distinguishes Satanism from Humanism or other essentially atheistic philosophies, and makes it a true religion suited to man's carnal nature."

again i think Lavey was wrong, people don't need those things.

First, quoting Wikipedia is probably a mistake.  Second, it's a fair assessment that humans have needed that throughout the ages; how many people do you know (like my mother) who don't know if they believe in God, but they feel comforted by the Mass?  Humans have rituals when they wake up every morning, when they go to sleep every night, and for everything in between.  The thing about LaVey is, he didn't expect anyone to take this seriously.  How could he go around saying that God doesn't exist and then expect his believers to believe in magic?  Fact is, I don't think he did.  He did it so people would have something that they could call Satanism by doing, rather than just saying they were Satanists and that being the end of it. 

Quote:

if you really think the CHURCH of SATAN would be here without the bible your out of your mind.

P.S im sure the OP had no idea what lavey's satanism was about and probably ment the "real" satan!

The Church of Satan wouldn't be here, in its present form, if there was not an entity (the Church and the Bible) that presented a reason for it to exist.  As an analogy, it would be like me saying "We wouldn't have medicine if there were no diseases.  Therefore, medicine is dependent on diseases.".  Yes, technically you're right, but saying that diseases suck is different than shitting all over medicine.

If there was no Church, we wouldn't NEED people like LaVey to try to steer us back to our own natures and avoid the guilt-ridden asceticism that the Church requires.  I'm not a proponent per se of Satanism, I just don't think it deserves the kind of shit you're piling on it.  It can be a useful tool, and for me, it was a great way to fix my priorities.  

Any LaVeyan Satanist who knows what they're taking about would be an ally of RRS.

P.S. I agree about the OP.  That's unfortunate.

If all else fails, if all turns to dust, set sail on a ship built from trust.

mohammed
mohammed's picture
User is offlineOffline
well i see we agree mostly.

well i see we agree mostly. except for when i go to the official church of satan site they have links to paranormal crap and the paranormal is implied if not promoted outright. i think they really believe that stuff.  Also i think science does a much better job speaking to reason than he ever did, but maybe some people need to be approached from that direction. although it sure doesn't appeal to me at all it makes a great video game (Diablo series from blizzard).

Quote:

The Church of Satan wouldn't be here, in its present form, if there was not an entity (the Church and the Bible) that presented a reason for it to exist.  As an analogy, it would be like me saying "We wouldn't have medicine if there were no diseases.  Therefore, medicine is dependent on diseases.".  Yes, technically you're right, but saying that diseases suck is different than shitting all over medicine.

also i think your analogy is wrong. i think Christianity not only provided a framework for mocking but also was a driving force that help develop his philosophy. 

and as far as RSS goes i don't think they agree with the paranormal, because that wouldnt be very rational.

Confutatis Male...
Confutatis Maledictis's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think we do agree.

mohammed wrote:

well i see we agree mostly. except for when i go to the official church of satan site they have links to paranormal crap and the paranormal is implied if not promoted outright. i think they really believe that stuff.  Also i think science does a much better job speaking to reason than he ever did, but maybe some people need to be approached from that direction. although it sure doesn't appeal to me at all it makes a great video game (Diablo series from blizzard).

The amount of hours I spent on Diablo 2..

Yeah, I don't think the Church stands for quite what it stood for when LaVey was alive.  He gave lip service to this magic stuff, but they take it really seriously.  It's kinda silly, but I think the point stands that some people need to be approached from that direction or they can just dismiss it.

I can agree with you, too, that without Christianity there may not be a Church of Satan.  I think I'd be okay with that!

If all else fails, if all turns to dust, set sail on a ship built from trust.