Atheist lynched LIVE during interview in West Virginia

David Mills
High Level Donor
David Mills's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheist lynched LIVE during interview in West Virginia

I was interviewed on West Virginia's WAJR on Thursday, August 7th. The host was exceptionally good-natured, supportive and knowledgeable about atheism. I was thoroughly delighted!

Then came the phone-in questions from the locals. The show quickly deteriorated from a "Meet the Press" atmosphere to pure "Jerry Springer." Fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the following:

http://www.davidmills.net/radio/David-Mills-on-WAJR.mp3
David Mills

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Downloading now....

Downloading now....

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
unbelievable.

The caller who said "We are here for god's enjoyment," realy believed it; thats' scary, and he knows where to find you.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The first caller was a moron.

The first caller was a moron.

peterweal
peterweal's picture
User is offlineOffline
I thought you did very well!

I thought you did very well! You were calm and well spoken.

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow it's been a while since

Wow it's been a while since I've seen you post here. Hopefully it's not a hit and run and you'll stick around for a while . I'm downloading the show right now, I'll post back after I've listened to it all.

EDIT - finished listening. The theist responses were very typical and filled with emotion. It seems there is no way to crack these numbskulls. I thought that both the show's host and Mr. Mills handled themselves very well.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Wow. All the callers were

Wow. All the callers were idiots. Do you know if the host is an atheist?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
ok

So I got to hear it, see this is the some of the classic problems with thesim, you can't discuss certain topics because oh don't try to destroy my fantasy world. Yet why should we allow people to live by ridiculous notions? I do applaud you, you were calm and collective through out the phone calls.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
"I don't know how old the

"I don't know how old the world is and neither do you!"

Classic.

I've no idea how you made it through all that without laughing your butt off.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:     The

Jeffrick wrote:

The caller who said "We are here for god's enjoyment," realy believed it; thats' scary, and he knows where to find you.

You are, by grace, Yahweh's spiritual fuck hole.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
 You handled yourself well.

You handled yourself well. The locals were just typical of closed minded believers. It's the same arguement from them always. The old saying is with age comes wisdom, the first caller proved that's not quite true with his moronic beliefs.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why Peppermint hates

Why Peppermint hates religion: In Summary.

Loved the patient, rational responses to overexcited nutjobs. I hate how one-sided religious belief is, and I love how stunningly these people parody themselves.

I couldn't help but laugh throughout most of the show, even as I rooted you both on.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
I thought it was great! BTW

I thought it was great! BTW did you do another show the next day or did you not get to do it. The callers were just a little bit emotional tho...

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Listening to it now - Mills

Listening to it now - Mills for the win

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
I tried to download the show

I tried to download the show and only got the first 20 seconds.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks David Mills. Very

Thanks David Mills. Very entertaining.

lol
 The ignorance of the callers was laughable. The first caller claims there are many cases of 'god' helping amputees by growing their limbs back. WOW!  It's difficult for me to believe he truely believes this, so my guess is if he is not delusional he is an outright liar in the attempt to win his arguement for god's existence.

The second caller used the 'let people believe in god  or you'll get into trouble' argument.

The third caller, "god created us for his enjoyment"

There is ignorance everywhere but the callers reminded me of a West Virginia Joke
Q. Why do ducks fly over West Virginia upside down?
A. There's nothing worth shiting on!

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

David Mills
High Level Donor
David Mills's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shaitian wrote:I thought it

Shaitian wrote:

I thought it was great! BTW did you do another show the next day or did you not get to do it.

The next morning I sat beside the phone from 9-10am but Reuben Perdue, the host, never phoned. My understanding is that he really got some heated criticism from many listeners and station officials following the show. I suppose he didn't want to make a bad situation worse. I was surprised that he was so knowledgeable and supportive of the atheist position.

David

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
Ya i don't blame him then, i

Ya i don't blame him then, i wouldn't want someone like him to lose his job. But the thing i don't like is that they didn't have a problem with the other 3 shows that had Christians on them... To not be able to show an opposing view is hypocritical. But at least you kept a cool head!

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hilarious

Hilarious.

These ignominious dolts aren't even in on their own joke. Nothing Jazzes me more than incurring the wrath of some myopic, orgasm-less, gravy stained, moo moo wearing theist...

Terrific job keeping your composure sir.

Fire
Fire's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't understand how

I can't understand how religious people and really people in general get so defensive about talking about religion. You can talk about people's opinions on things like global warming, tax cuts, welfare, and the war in iraq with out getting half as obnoxious as these discussions always seem to turn out. I had a similar experience in a diversity class where we had a debate about religion and the schools, and being the only atheist there, in a community college in a southern state, I was mobbed by people calling me a jerk for the very act of saying "I don't believe in god" and demanding that science be taught in science classes.