Baptist, Seminary President Publishes New Atheists Book

theist
theist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Baptist, Seminary President Publishes New Atheists Book

Here is the book along with a link to several lectures on the issue. I thought this website would have many people interested in this. Let me know what you all think.

Also, SAPIENT, my old account was akolutheo. I tried a million times to log back in; yet, ifor some reason, t did not work. You and I talked about maybe getting Hitches to debate Mohler. Yet, Mohler's illness this summer prevented me from trying to contact Southern Seminary. ARe you still interested? I don't know Mohler personally; yet, my old pastor is friends with him. Therefore, I can't promise anything, but, if you want to try to contact him, let me know.

Here is the book:   http://www.atheismremix.com/

Here are the lectures under W.H. Griffith Thomas Lectures. Should be the first four lectures that you see:  http://www.albertmohler.com/audio_list.php 

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
The debate is set

The debate is set already...

The United Secular Alliance at VCU (affiliates of the Atheist Alliance International, the Student Secular Alliance and the Rational Response Squad) are proud to present a lively debate between Christian apologist/author Frank Turek and author/atheist Christopher Hitchens.

Please come out and engage in this lively debate.

The debate will be moderated by Dean Timothy Hulsey.

Timothy Hulsey, Ph.D., is the Dean of the Honors College and Associate Professor of Psychology. Prior to coming to VCU, he was Director of the Honors Program at Texas State University in San Marcos, Texas.

Dr. Hulsey has published numerous articles in scholarly journals, as well as a book entitled “Moral Cruelty: Ameaning and the justification of harm.” He has received several teaching and research awards, including the Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching from Texas State University, the Fellowship Award of the American Psychoanalytic Association and Who's Who Among American University and College Teachers.

Dr. Hulsey received his Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from the University of Tennessee, his M.A. in Clinical Psychology from Trinity University and his B.A. in Psychology from Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi. He has also completed a postdoctoral fellowship in Clinical Psychology at Dartmouth Medical School.

Frank Turek is the founder and president of CrossExamined.org and its primary presenter. Frank is a coauthor of two award-winning books: I Don’t have Enough Faith to be an Atheist, and Legislating Morality.

He has appeared as a guest on numerous other TV and radio programs including: The O’Reilly Factor, Hannity and Colmes, Faith under Fire, Politically Incorrect, The Bible Answerman, and Focus on the Family.

Frank has hunted for Noah’s Ark in Iran and other Biblical artifacts overseas. He has a Masters from The George Washington University and a Doctorate in Apologetics from Southern Evangelical Seminary.

Christopher Hitchens is an English-American author, journalist and literary critic.

Christopher has been a columnist at Vanity Fair, The Atlantic, World Affairs, The Nation, Slate, Free Inquiry, and a variety of other media outlets.

Christopher is also a political observer, whose best-selling books — the latest being God Is Not Great— have made him a staple of talk shows and lecture circuits.

Christopher is said to be a polemicist and intellectual. While he was once identified with the Anglo-American radical political left, he has latterly embraced some arguably right-wing causes, notably the Iraq War.

Formerly a Trotskyist and a fixture in the left wing publications of both the United Kingdom and United States, Christopher departed from the consensus of the political left in 1989 after what he called the "tepid reaction" of the European left following Ayatollah Khomeini's issue of a fatwa calling for the murder of Salman Rushdie. The September 11, 2001 attacks strengthened his embrace of an interventionist foreign policy, and his vociferous criticism of what he calls "fascism with an Islamic face". He is known for his ardent admiration of George Orwell, Thomas Paine and Thomas Jefferson, and for his excoriating critiques of Mother Teresa, Henry Kissinger, and Bill Clinton.

Christopher is an antitheist, and he describes himself as a believer in the Enlightenment values of secularism, humanism, and reason.

Want to know more about Frank Turek? Visit this site:
http://www.crossexamined.org/

Want to know more about Christopher Hitchens?
Visit this website: http://www.buildupthatwall.com/

theist
theist's picture
User is offlineOffline
That sounds like it will be

That sounds like it will be a good debate. I may have missed it, but will there be an mp3 audio of the event?  Also, are you interested in anybody else debating Mohler in the future? Thanks for the information.

theist
theist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Also, here is a nice

Also, here is a nice critique of "I don't have enough faith to be an atheist" in a unique tone.  I find the points very strong for the book; yet, I admit, the points of this critique are strong as well. Here it is if anyone is interested.

http://www.kellanstec.com/faithatheist.html

GermanMike
Blogger
GermanMike's picture
User is offlineOffline
About Albert Mohler

I knew that this book was coming out since I listen to Dr. Mohler on a daily basis. Normally if I miss one of his shows I will listen to it later on podcast.

I comment a lot on his program in my blog called Christian Radio Review and already ordered his book to read and review it. So perhaps you might find my blog interesting.

Best Greetings

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------

Who asks me inappropiate questions also has to live with the answers I may give.

theist
theist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks Mike. I was

Thanks Mike. I was wondering, do you find Al Mohler to be respectful in his tactics? I think so many people compare him to Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, and others who I feel deserve to be described as rude and arrogant. Yet, I feel Mohler is different. He has views that he refuses to back down on; yet, he seems to want to be considerate to others. As far as him avoiding you or other critics, I have had two of my own posts removed on here for asking about a founding member's educational back ground. I know how you feel. 

Anyway, back to the point.  Do you think he is like the Jerry Falwell's of the world, or do you find him to be respectful despite your disagreement with his views? Just wondering....

GermanMike
Blogger
GermanMike's picture
User is offlineOffline
He is certainly more decent

He is certainly more decent in his approach than the Reverend Falwell was. But he is in no way less conservative when it comes to politics or less fundamentalist when it comes to theology. He once even called Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam and Marxism demonstrations of satanic powers.

I never saw him doing proselytizing therefor I don't know what his approach to that would be. I guess that it would be less the method used by the Way of the Master people (hammering it with a sledgehammer into your head) but more an kinda intellectual one. But I could be wrong about that.

Since he isn't that much concerned about proselytizing on his program he gives me a better insight into the political opinions of American Christians than I could get on WOTMR.

-----------------------------------------------------

Who asks me inappropiate questions also has to live with the answers I may give.

theist
theist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Many people on here have

Many people on here have sent me to trollville and labled me closed minded. Please find all my 4 or 5 posts to see why. I still can't figure it out.

I asked about Rook's credentials and I got my post removed and renamed it, which I think  is worse than censoring. My Father did not have a high school degree and is more succesfull in his buisiness than many who have degrees, that was a point I was going to add until it was renamed and moved.

The ONLY reason I mention this is I am trying to prove to you that I DON'T WANT TO BE RUDE. Yet, since you are the first atheist I know who has an interest in Mohler, I have some questions that I would love to ask you. If you have time, let me know.

You said: But he is in no way less conservative when it comes to politics

My question: Do you find holding to conservative views and expressing them to be rude in and of themselves?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I asked about Rook's

Quote:
I asked about Rook's credentials and I got my post removed and renamed it

Theist: They tend to be touchy about that because Rook is constantly under attack over his lack of a degree. Did you PM Rook, Brain or Kellly about it? It's usually better to talk with an individual before you start venting to the group.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I asked about Rook's

Quote:
I asked about Rook's credentials and I got my post removed and renamed it, which I think  is worse than censoring. My Father did not have a high school degree and is more succesfull in his buisiness than many who have degrees, that was a point I was going to add until it was renamed and moved.

Theist, are you fifteen years old?  If not, then could you be an adult about this and drop it?  You've had Sapient, me, and magilum all address you personally on this explaining in great detail why we moved your post.  How much more attention do you need?

Let me put it another way.  We're not censoring you.  We're telling you to drop it.  None of us care at all about this subject.  Rook's only concern is whether or not his book gets published.  Your approval of his credentials has nothing to do with that process, nor does anyone else's unless they are directly associated with a publisher or a scholarly organization.  Rook has answered this question repeatedly.  Now, I've told you repeatedly that Rook has answered this question repeatedly.

Short version:  You're being a pain in my ass right now, and I'd really like you to drop this subject.  My word and Sapient's word are the final words, and both of us have already addressed this.  Is it ok with you to please respect our decision and talk about something else?  You've spent more time bitching about being "censored" than you have anything else.  Do you have anything about say,  I don't know.... religion... that you'd like to discuss?  That's what this board is about, after all.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

theist
theist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ham, The post you commented

Ham,

The post you commented on came around the time I thanked you for your help and people explained to me why everything played out that way.  I was also talking to Mike and telling him I felt a similar way about how the radio program he addressed seemed to avoid critics. I am not saying you all do the same thing, it just SEEMED like it then.

The context was I thought Mike may not want to talk to me due the other posts. Do you see what I am saying? I couldn't figure out what was going on. You expressed irratation with me several times with profanity. I thanked you for your help in the midst of this thread. Others helped explained what happen. I DID NOT BRING IT UP AGAIN after August 9th I don't think.  Sorry I was so slow to understand the rules here and stuff. Yet,  you are yelling at me for the past. I didn't thank you and then run and write this. I wrote this when I was still confused on what was going on. It wasn't until the second time when you called me an ass wipe that I reallized what was going on. I didn't get the private messages and did not know what trollville was. It took like two days between August 8-9th for me to figure out what happened. Once everything was pointed out to me, I stopped.

Do you see how this is out of sequence? It is like you are yelling at me for my past mistake and actions I did before I figured out what was going on.  

Once again, wrong order. THIS POST HAPPENED IN THE MIDDLE OF EVERYTHING ELSE. Once everyone helped me, I quit. I understand you want me to be careful on here, but could you check the dates of when I post stuff in the future to avoid giving me another scolding? For future reference, I know your rules now and you pay for this site so I won't post stuff about Rook's credentals again. If I do something in the future wrong, let me know. But I can't change past posts or  all the stuff that happened with me questioning Rook's credentials. I thought the issue was drooped.  

Thanks man.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:The debate is

Sapient wrote:

The debate is set already...

The United Secular Alliance at VCU (affiliates of the Atheist Alliance International, the Student Secular Alliance and the Rational Response Squad) are proud to present a lively debate between Christian apologist/author Frank Turek and author/atheist Christopher Hitchens.

Please come out and engage in this lively debate.

Thought I'd give this a bump.

The debate between Hitchens and Turek is this Tuesday (9/9/08) at 7PM in the Commonwealth Ballroom of the Student Commons on the campus of Virginia Commonwealth University

907 Floyd Ave
Richmond, VA 23220

The event is free and open to the public but VCU Parking Services charges $5 to park in one of the decks on campus. No tickets are needed, however it is recommended to arrive one hour early.

Announcement on Facebook