You seem like silly misguided kids to me. [YOU RESPOND]

RationalRespons...
RationalResponseSquad's picture
User is offlineOffline
You seem like silly misguided kids to me. [YOU RESPOND]

Sent: Monday, March 17, 2008 7:29 AM
Subject: [General Question] Why

ROn sent a message using the contact form at http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

Just curious as to what "service" you feel this site provides to the world. Also wondering if you have ANY members over 30 yrs old. You just seem like a bunch of silly misguided kids to me. Try reading CS lewis' 'Mere Christianity' for a little insight.

Take care.

Ron B

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
ROn wrote:Just curious as to

ROn wrote:
Just curious as to what "service" you feel this site provides to the world. Also wondering if you have ANY members over 30 yrs old. You just seem like a bunch of silly misguided kids to me. Try reading CS lewis' 'Mere Christianity' for a little insight.

Take care.

Ron B

Hi! I'm 41. I've read 'Mere Christianity', it was the usual suspects for Christian argument. Try reading these books for more than a little insight.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
am not

I am not a silly mis guided kid and I am going to hold my breath untill you take that Back!!!

(Holding breath.------------ turning blue-ish)

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:     I am

Jeffrick wrote:
     I am not a silly mis guided kid and I am going to hold my breath untill you take that Back!!!

(Holding breath.------------ turning blue-ish)

Ahh, cyanosis. My favorite lip color.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is a great site for

This is a great site for atheists to meet and share ideas. What do you think it's for? Yes I am almost 40 so there are members or 30 in answer to your question. Now my turn, Is it always in your nature to attack others with name calling because they do not share the infinite love of your sky daddy?

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
still

I'm    53   and I'm still holding my breath.  How can he think I'm  like so immature?

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
ron b wrote: ROn sent a

ron b wrote:

ROn sent a message using the contact form at http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

It provides a place for atheists to discuss ways that we can retake the world from delusion and fantasy. We had to find something else to do besides play D and D after we got older. I can't even remember being 30 anymore. I'm 57.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:I'm   

Jeffrick wrote:
I'm    53   and I'm still holding my breath.  How can he think I'm  like so immature?
Impressive lung volume. (I'm assuming you're still conscious and lucid enough to read this.)

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Grandparents

Fortunately there are many Atheist grandparents in this world.  We have very intelligent children with college degrees and personally speaking my grand-kids are great.  However I do have to share them with the other side of their family, somehow religion is not a problem.   Now the real problem is finding that e-mail address to send this message.  No we are not all under 30, but I don't mind being called a kid.

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
more blue ish

JillSwift wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:
Impressive lung volume. (I'm assuming you're still conscious and lucid enough to read this.)

Yes.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'm 34. CS Lewis should have

I'm 34. CS Lewis should have stuck to writing fiction for children instead of defending fiction for adults. In terms of logic in his apologetics writings he came across as a complete idiot.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Hi! I'm 41.

JillSwift wrote:

Hi! I'm 41. I've read 'Mere Christianity', it was the usual suspects for Christian argument. Try reading these books for more than a little insight.

JillSwift! High-five. I too am 41. I haven't figured out how to feel older than about 20, but I really am 41.

And he'd better take back that whole "younger than 30" thing, or I'm kicking his ass after recess.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Just curious as to

Quote:
Just curious as to what "service" you feel this site provides to the world.

1.  Science, philosophy, and logic resources for anyone who wants them... for free, even!

http://www.rationalresponders.com/rrs_authors

2.  A venue for atheists to get together and talk with other atheists.  This is pretty important for a lot of our members, who are the only atheists in their communities.

3.  We show atheists that it's not only ok to admit to atheism, but it's good for society as a whole.

4.  We help dispel the myths about atheists and atheism.  I bet you believe most of them, interestingly...

5.  Generally being a pain in the ass to people like Kent Hovind and Ray Comfort.  Clowns like that need to have their stupid agendas exposed for what they really are.  We're here to help with that.

6.  Supporting other atheist groups who are on board with our goals.

7.  A place for theists to get to talk to atheists one on one.

Quote:
Also wondering if you have ANY members over 30 yrs old.

I can't remember Kelly's age, and Rook is under 30, but the rest of the core members are over 30.  Many of our members are well over 30.  I don't have an exact figure because our active membership changes a lot, but I'd guess the average age here would be between 28 and 35.

Quote:
You just seem like a bunch of silly misguided kids to me.

Bummer.  I guess your intuition is wrong sometimes.... you might take that to heart...

Quote:
Try reading CS lewis' 'Mere Christianity' for a little insight.

Really?  You think?  Ok, Einstein.  If Lewis is so amazing, why'd he leave off the fourth L?  Lord, Liar, Lunatic... OR LEGEND?

It's clearly a possibility, and he didn't even address it.  Unfortunately, the rest of his philosophy(sic!) is no better.  His work has been laid bare by so many hundreds of competent philosophers that I'm surprised he still gets brought up by theists... but he does...

Must be something about blatant disregard for what is true, particularly when we really, really, really want to believe something else.

Critique of Miracles

Critique of Mere Christianity

False Trilemma

There are a few to get you started.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I'm 34. CS

MattShizzle wrote:

I'm 34. CS Lewis should have stuck to writing fiction for children instead of defending fiction for adults. In terms of logic in his apologetics writings he came across as a complete idiot.

You've read his fiction for children, right?

He came off as an idiot there, too.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
57 and going strong.  Been

57 and going strong.  Been an atheist my entire life, just didn't know it until I was about 11 and had read the bible a few times trying to figure out why it didn't make much sense. Finally realized it's all bullshit and have been happy since.  No superstition to get in the way of a fulfilling life.

No, I'm not talking about a life of debauchery.  I'll leave that to the christian fundies. 

The only time I think I've been misguided was when I was going to church.  Even then I didn't buy the "Flinstone Theory" of the Young Earth wack-jobs. 

I'd be willing to bet a lot of us have read more than a few books on both sides of this fence.  Try reading some of Rooks, Kellys and Sapients blogs as well as others.  Read them with an open mind and don't pre-judge the people or subject, you might learn something yourself.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well the service this site

Well the service this site offers varies from information on psychology, science, history, life and of course religion. There is some sarcasm mixed in and some good old fashioned debate as well.

This is a place for atheists of different backgrounds and in many cases, different opinions, to interact. We attract not only atheists but people of many different beliefs...

What are your beliefs Ron?

What makes our group 'misguided'?

Oh, and I am 37 years old but tend to feel 80 when I read and respond to posts by people with a 'hit and run' style of sharing an opinion.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

magilum
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:

Sent: Monday, March 17, 2008 7:29 AM
Subject: [General Question] Why

Take care.

Ron B

I'm wondering if you've ever shopped at a store with a name not ending in "Mart."

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
How goes the cyanosis,

How goes the cyanosis, Jeffrick?

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:How goes the

JillSwift wrote:

How goes the cyanosis, Jeffrick?

Still waiting for like a mature answer and appology,  (Inhailing)

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Quote:You just seem like a

Quote:
You just seem like a bunch of silly misguided kids to me.

"Fear believes-Courage doubts.  Fear falls up the earth and prays.  Courage stands erect and thinks.  Fear is barbarism-courage is civilization.   Fear believes in witchcraft, devils and ghosts.  Fear is religion, courage is science".

Robert Ingersoll

And that sounds like kids to you ?

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
While I know this site has a

While I know this site has a few slightly more mature members ie over 30 I always thought it was aimed at the young by design which is very sensible as thats exactly where religious try to brain wash people. Generally a lot harder once people get away from their parents

Death Dragoon
Bronze Member
Death Dragoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
What does age have to do

What does age have to do with anything anyways? Lack of knowledge based on age is no longer a valid arguement, since the invention of the internet.

When once asked in the library if I believed in Jesus Christ, I pointed out that zombie novels are in the fiction section.

izackcarson
User is offlineOffline
I'm over 30 too.  It is a

I'm over 30 too.  It is a person's responsibility to do what they can to make the world a better place.  I don't think anyone here expects religion will die off anytime soon.  However, if the ignorance and destruction can be held at bay even just a little, that is a plus.  Helping people think and be rational is of service to the wider community.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Doe my soon to be 44

Does my soon to be 44 (Saturday, in fact) heart good to see all the oldsters admitting to it. Smiling

Abstraction0930
Abstraction0930's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am 16 "You just seem like

I am 16

"You just seem like a bunch of silly misguided kids to me"

Maybe i am one of those misguided kids.

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire(1694-1778)

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Abstraction0930 wrote:Maybe

Abstraction0930 wrote:

Maybe i am one of those misguided kids.

Naw, he sent the letter two months before you joined the site.  Eye-wink

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah over 30 here, 32 to be

Yeah over 30 here, 32 to be exact...and yes I am misguided, I have led astray many a good irish catholic girls >:D.....wait a minute their catholic girls what am I talking about there aren't any bigger sinners than catholic school girls.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
RRS LIED TO ME! THEY TOLD ME

RRS LIED TO ME! THEY TOLD ME THIS SITE WAS  A "HOW TO" TRAINING SITE ON HOW TO BBQ KITTENS!

(sniff sniff, cry cry......I feel sooooooo used)

I'll be 42 next month BTW.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline
The service that this site

The service that this site provides is rational, critical, logical, and clear thinking discussions and information.  I see this as a site for people who like to think skeptically and see religion for what it really is.  Dangerous and delusional. 

I am 22 years old and I am wondering why you think I am a "silly, misguided kid"?  You have never met me and I am sure you haven't met any of the people on this site. 

There are people in there 30's and older who are "silly and misguided". 

George W. Bush

Bill O'Reilly

Ann Coulter

Pat Robertson

The Pope

Just to name a few.

I will add C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity" to my list of books to read.  I have a feeling that it will be the same thing that every Christian says, "Belief is nice and I like it, BLAH!". 

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm 19. Your Appeal to Age

I'm 19. Your Appeal to Age argument is both pointless and insulting. If you are insinuating no one under 30 can do anything worthwhile, I would invite you to review some of my posts on this site. I have engaged in debate with, and might I dare say, probably come out better than many theists here, many of whom I'm sure were over 30.

I do not feel silly or misguided, 90% of the christians I know are under 30. Guess they're silly and misguided!

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:I'm 19. Your

Loc wrote:

I'm 19. Your Appeal to Age argument is both pointless and insulting. If you are insinuating no one under 30 can do anything worthwhile, I would invite you to review some of my posts on this site. I have engaged in debate with, and might I dare say, probably come out better than many theists here, many of whom I'm sure were over 30.

I do not feel silly or misguided, 90% of the christians I know are under 30. Guess they're silly and misguided!

"I'm special" is the mantra of all sky daddy cheerleading clubs of any label which is funny considering the planet has 6 billion people living on it. And all these clubs claim they invented morality rather than consider what we know that morality is an evolutionary trait and not a product of magic.

They never consider that people can get moral stories out of fiction such as Star Wars or The Cat In The Hat or Harry Potter without litterally believing in those characters.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Sakura.
Sakura.'s picture
User is offlineOffline
Ron wrote:Also wondering if

Ron wrote:
Also wondering if you have ANY members over 30 yrs old. You just seem like a bunch of silly misguided kids to me.

I'm 19 and STILL have a more mature way of dealing with people than you do, sir :/

It's interesting that you call Atheists misguided.  It takes no guidance to choose and lead a life void of religious beliefs.  But it takes PLENTY of guidance to lead a "pious" life.  So who's the misguided one?

Tickling Sakura's Funnybone

thingy wrote:

David wrote:
Actually, thousands of people witnessed his existence on earth, and many testified to his existence in the pages of the Bible.

That's true, just as there's thousands of people who witnessed Harry Potter's existence on earth in the Harry Potter series of books.

mrjonno wrote:
I will drink to the Flying Spaghetti Monster and hope his appendages touch you in the most pleasurable of ways

HisWillness wrote:
Keep it in Your pants, saviour boy.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sakura. wrote:I'm 19 Are you

Sakura. wrote:

I'm 19

Are you a girl? say yes say yes say yes say yes...

Blake32
Blake32's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm 15! I WIN.Na-Na Na-Na

I'm 15! I WIN.

Na-Na Na-Na Boo Boo.

Death Dragoon
Bronze Member
Death Dragoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
19 as well.

19 as well.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
         Age 49     ( going on 100, mentally )

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:Sakura. wrote:I'm

Loc wrote:

Sakura. wrote:

I'm 19

"Sakura" is Japanese for "cherry blossom", if I recall from the song, and if you're a single male, you should develop the skill that is finding the wedding ring. Ah, there it is.

I was born in 1461, so I'd say I have seniority. What's that ... 546 years old? Yeah. I feel young at heart, though.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Sakura.
Sakura.'s picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:Sakura. wrote:I'm

Loc wrote:

Sakura. wrote:

I'm 19

Girl, but for all intensive purposes married XD Sorry if I misinterpreted your eagerness as to my gender ^^;

Tickling Sakura's Funnybone

thingy wrote:

David wrote:
Actually, thousands of people witnessed his existence on earth, and many testified to his existence in the pages of the Bible.

That's true, just as there's thousands of people who witnessed Harry Potter's existence on earth in the Harry Potter series of books.

mrjonno wrote:
I will drink to the Flying Spaghetti Monster and hope his appendages touch you in the most pleasurable of ways

HisWillness wrote:
Keep it in Your pants, saviour boy.

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Pouting

mrjonno wrote:

While I know this site has a few slightly more mature members ie over 30 I always thought it was aimed at the young by design which is very sensible as thats exactly where religious try to brain wash people. Generally a lot harder once people get away from their parents

Now I'm going to pout.  Should I be offended by this statement?  No way is this site aimed at any particular age.  Everyone here has been far more intelligent than I will ever hope to be.  Well maybe not everyone, but most, and age has nothing to do with it.

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Manners

Loc wrote:

Yes and you not always nice about it !!