The Stages of Belief

Presuppositionalist
Theist
Presuppositionalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Stages of Belief

As most people age, they go through several belief systems. In the modern United States, this is statistically the most common progression:

STAGE ONE: Birth to Adolescence, appx <16 yrs.

Child is born to religious parents. He absorbs various doctrines through church, family, and friends, never (or very rarely) questioning them. He may have one or more highly emotional religious experiences.

STAGE TWO: Adolescence to Early Adulthood, appx 16-20 yrs.

The individual begins to question his religion. As his intellect is not yet fully developed, he has the ability to ask difficult questions, but not necessarily to answer them. Although exceptionally virtuous individuals remain religious even over this time period, many do not. Their minds fail, and they degenerate philosophically. (Degeneration is accelerated if friends or relatives are unbelievers or at least not overtly religious.) They usually become nihilists if they happen to read Neitzsche. Those with slightly greater moral fiber, who recognise at least that there is some sort of objective moral law, may become philosophical Buddhists for the strict moral code. Others, perhaps of a scientific persuasion, become pantheists to impress their friends with their superficially "deep" philosophical insight. But all are degenerate philosophies, patchwork guesses tacked over a need for real philosophy, and their adherents cannot stay adherents for very long.

STAGE THREE: Early Adulthood to Maturity, appx 20-30 yrs.

The mind completes its development in the early twenties. As a result, the individual begins to realise that nihilism (or Buddhism, or pantheism) is an inconsistent and unlivable worldview. He knows that he needs a worldview with structure, something that will give him political and epistemic philosophies. However, he is still hesitant to accept religion, having built up a resistance to it in his early years. At this stage, he embraces some sort of pseudo-systematic philosophy, perhaps Objectivism or some variant on Marxism. But the worldview is an ad hockery, a construct intended to cushion his aversion to the sacred, and deep down he knows this. Thus, after a few years, the fouth stage.

STAGE FOUR: Maturity, appx >30 yrs.

In time, the mature individual finally comes to grips with the failure of all his arguments against religion. Consequently, he also acknowledges the silliness of the ad hoc worldview to which he holds, and dismisses it. He finally realizes that his need for a systematic metaphysical, epistemic, moral, political philosophy was right back where he began so many years ago: in the Holy Bible. He begins reading theology and Christian philosophy, and chortles at the naivete of the arguments that were so convincing in his early years. Thus closes the circle.

A few comments:

I know that some people never leave Christianity in the first place. As I explained, that is because they have exceptional moral fiber, but they might also be exceptionally intelligent. I also know that some people never leave nihilism, Buddhism, or whatever other worldview they latch onto. This is because they either (a) lack moral fiber or (b) their minds never fully develop.

I await your intelligent criticisms.

Q: Why didn't you address (post x) that I made in response to you nine minutes ago???

A: Because I have (a) a job, (b) familial obligations, (c) social obligations, and (d) probably a lot of other atheists responded to the same post you did, since I am practically the token Christian on this site now. Be patient, please.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

Quote:
Keeping what you said above in mind according to your belief is smoking, drinking alcohol, or eating pork immoral?

"Based upon my belief concerning morality, immorality is more a matter of how one views the action they are doing or what underlying motivation they have for doing the action.  Those things you listed are not immoral per se.  In a sense, immorality can only be determined, in large part, on a case by case basis and only from the perspective of the individual acting. 

For me, all things being equal, smoking, drinking alcohol, or eating pork, would be immoral, or at least (just in case the word "immoral" has too much baggage) shouldn't be done, because (on the most basic level) I consider them medically harmful to myself and I have no reason to eat or drink any of it (although, perhaps other people do have reason, like, "not offending the company&quotEye-wink.  Yet, don't get me wrong, nowadays it would appear that pork is no more harmful to the body than beef.  So, applying the same reasoning, I probably shouldn't be eating beef either.

So, immoral for me.  Maybe not for you.

Try to keep in mind that I don't think something is immoral just because the bible seems to say so. The text is, in many ways, extremely open to interpretation, and so, even if it was meant to "create morality," it might be difficult to ascertain such "codes."  Immoral is immoral because it's bad for you, bad for others.  At least that's the way I view it."

Heh.. that paragraph was a little hard to write because the word "immoral" has so many connotations for me as well as any other people--and I know I might be hammared because of it.

That was my point about morals being based on your belief system. Your religion (7th Day Adventist) holds these activities to be immoral while many other Christian and non-Christian do not. I realize you don't take everything in the Bible without interpretation, I've read your posts and I'm surprised you are 7th Day Adventist.

One of my ex religions, Roman Catholic has no problem with these activities but it is against birth control considering it a sin and immoral. This has included all forms of birth control including condoms.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:That was my point

Quote:
That was my point about morals being based on your belief system. Your religion (7th Day Adventist) holds these activities to be immoral while many other Christian and non-Christian do not.

What else would morals be based upon?  Any delving into a concept of "morality" requires some sort of "belief system."  Even if you take religion completely out of the matter, "morality" itself is a belief, IMHO. 

My religion (SDA) may hold these activities to be per se immoral.. I do not.  Of course, I can't speak for the whole Adventist Religion.  Just like the bible, their writings regarding morality and such are open to interpretation as well. Smiling

Quote:
I realize you don't take everything in the Bible without interpretation, I've read your posts and I'm surprised you are 7th Day Adventist.

SDA's have a pretty wide stance.  Outside the US they tend to be a lot more conservative than inside the US (from what I hear).  East coast tends to be more conservative than midwest and midwest more than the west.

Dad was/is an SDA pastor.  Good conversations with him. From what I gather, I don't think my beliefs are so different from what the SDA church professes to holds that I need to consider myself anything else than an SDA.

Quote:
One of my ex religions, Roman Catholic has no problem with these activities but it is against birth control considering it a sin and immoral. This has included all forms of birth control including condoms.

Ya. I've heard that.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:The

MattShizzle wrote:

The problem with that is that the Inquisition and Holocaust would be considered moral actions - after all those participating in them thought what they were doing was right. So would the actions of the 9/11 terrorists.

Matt,

That's exactly my point. Bin Laden's Islamic group consider what they are doing to be moral though mainstream Islam does not. The Inquisition was moral as was the Crusades as God's man on Earth ordered them in his role of papal infallible at least from the Catholic Church point of view. I think both were immoral. The Holocaust can not be justified by religion even though Hitler was a Catholic as the pope didn't authorize it. The Nazi's knew killing millions was an immoral act as they all ran or committed suicide to avoid prosecution. If they felt it was moral they wouldn't have tried to hide what they did and destroy the evidence IMO.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:As most people age,

Quote:

As most people age, they go through several belief systems. In the modern United States, this is statistically the most common progression:

...Statisically?

Oh, for fuck's sake's, brace for it: the creationist is now attempting to wade into scientific topics.

Quote:

STAGE ONE: Birth to Adolescence, appx <16 yrs.

Child is born to religious parents. He absorbs various doctrines through church, family, and friends, never (or very rarely) questioning them. He may have one or more highly emotional religious experiences.

No citation. Intuitively, this seems accurate enough - but real statistics are based on numbers, not intuition.

Quote:

STAGE TWO: Adolescence to Early Adulthood, appx 16-20 yrs.

The individual begins to question his religion. As his intellect is not yet fully developed, he has the ability to ask difficult questions, but not necessarily to answer them. Although exceptionally virtuous individuals remain religious even over this time period, many do not. Their minds fail, and they degenerate philosophically. (Degeneration is accelerated if friends or relatives are unbelievers or at least not overtly religious.) They usually become nihilists if they happen to read Neitzsche. Those with slightly greater moral fiber, who recognise at least that there is some sort of objective moral law, may become philosophical Buddhists for the strict moral code. Others, perhaps of a scientific persuasion, become pantheists to impress their friends with their superficially "deep" philosophical insight. But all are degenerate philosophies, patchwork guesses tacked over a need for real philosophy, and their adherents cannot stay adherents for very long.

...What the Hell article could you have possibly pulled this from? Christiananswers.org, maybe? Your church's weekly flyer?

Certainly no scientific journal would accept an argument constructed with as many presuppositions as this. Where are the numbers? Where are the descriptions of the testing mechanisms?

Quote:

STAGE THREE: Early Adulthood to Maturity, appx 20-30 yrs.

The mind completes its development in the early twenties. As a result, the individual begins to realise that nihilism (or Buddhism, or pantheism) is an inconsistent and unlivable worldview. He knows that he needs a worldview with structure, something that will give him political and epistemic philosophies. However, he is still hesitant to accept religion, having built up a resistance to it in his early years. At this stage, he embraces some sort of pseudo-systematic philosophy, perhaps Objectivism or some variant on Marxism. But the worldview is an ad hockery, a construct intended to cushion his aversion to the sacred, and deep down he knows this. Thus, after a few years, the fouth stage.

Again, more citation-less drivel, topped-off with a non sequitor.

Quote:

STAGE FOUR: Maturity, appx >30 yrs.

In time, the mature individual finally comes to grips with the failure of all his arguments against religion. Consequently, he also acknowledges the silliness of the ad hoc worldview to which he holds, and dismisses it. He finally realizes that his need for a systematic metaphysical, epistemic, moral, political philosophy was right back where he began so many years ago: in the Holy Bible. He begins reading theology and Christian philosophy, and chortles at the naivete of the arguments that were so convincing in his early years. Thus closes the circle.

...You missed one:

STAGE FIVE

The finally stone cold fucking lunatic will then set-up Dinosaur Adventure Land to teach children about his insane fantasies, then steal millions of dollars worth of taxpayer money, finally being put behind locked doors where he's always belonged (though not before being given the opportunity to torpedo his marriage via phone call, of course). Sticking out tongue

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Presuppositionalist wrote:

HisWillness wrote:
Quote:
Only the best of men can become Christians, and only the best of them can stay Christians. This means: the Christian is more intelligent, more moral, more fit to enter eternity than the non-Christian.

Wow. That's amazing. You actually believe that you're morally and intellectually superior to me. It's entirely possible - there aren't contests for those kinds of things. It's just that ... well, it sounds a bit like arbitrary elitism. Honestly, I've met stupid atheists, and I've met smart Christians. But I've also met stupid Christians and smart atheists. It's possible that you haven't met enough of either to figure out that categorizing people like that rarely works in practice.

It is not elitism, it is a statement of fact.

What facts!? Present these facts Presupp, you can't just slide this bigotry by evenryone without some support you know. The study Matt alluded to is at least an actual study with visible parameters as much as I'd personally never use it to prove anything it at least is what it claims to be -  match it or keep your vain insults to yourself!

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Quote:
6-Prove there is an eternity why you're at it.

No, the burden is upon you. Here is why. While it is self-evident that the body (and the whisps we call inanimate objects) come and go, the mind, in our experience, does not. While evidence abounds that the body passes away, there is no evidence that the mind passes away. 

Presupp, seriously there is plenty of evidence that the mind does not have a tangible existence beyond necrosis, try irreversible brain injury. Those of us who believe in an afterlife existence are making an exceptional claim and should be prepared to back it with hard facts on the nature of existence or go home and rethink our belief system.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote: Except that I'm

BMcD wrote:

Except that I'm not the one adding anything to the data set. If I were providing a mechanism by which the chemical reactions aggregate into awareness, I would be expected to support that assertion. I'm not. I'm leaving that at 'I don't know'. You, on the other hand, are adding something to the data set. 'Ergo, we postulate a different sort of substance: the soul.' You are then assuming the burden of proving the existence of this substance before we can add it to the data set.

Your assertion, your burden of proof.

Ah, the parsimony objection, favorite argument of 16-year-olds everywhere. You assert -without argument- that a worldview with more is automatically worse than one with less, no matter what constitutes the more and the less. This is Occam's Razor at its shattering point. Why do you believe in atoms? Radiation? Minds, other than your own? Your worldview could do without any of these, but you cling to them. You cling to them because you cannot explain the world without them. This is the Christian's answer to your distortion of a great theologian's ideas: abductive necessity, whereby the sheer epistemic need of belief in a thing overrides parsimony-based objections like yours.

You cannot explain consciousness by means of the unconscious. A lump of coal is not conscious. A moving lump of coal is not conscious. A lump of coal joined to a moving system of other lumps of coal is not conscious. You must invoke something fundamentally different: an addition, a substance of experience, a soul.

Quote:
Well, if it fluctuates daily, then you must not have slept for over twenty years. If you'll read the page in a little more depth, you'll note that those rates of growth have remained constant for over a generation.

So the numbers I don't care about aren't moving. Whoop-dee-doo.

Quote:
Also, your religion places a requirement on the believer to preach, to seek conversions, to try to bring others into the body of Christ. Thus, it would seem that your success rate, the rate of growth of the Faith, would be the true measure of success. And that, really, is where the great schisms are hurting you: Most efforts made by Christians to convert others are simply efforts to convince someone to change denominations; Lutheran to Catholic, Anglican to Jehovah's Witness, etc. There is no cohesion, and so, stagnation. That you do not care that your faith is losing ground to Islam is probably a good indicator of why it is: for all your bluster, you really don't care about helping others find their way, only about having someone else say 'you're right', and give you the validation and reassurance that you are so desperately, obviously, seeking.

Ironic, really... I'd have expected you'd get that from your God.

Yeah, I'm obviously looking for validation. My posts just scream "please love me".

Q: Why didn't you address (post x) that I made in response to you nine minutes ago???

A: Because I have (a) a job, (b) familial obligations, (c) social obligations, and (d) probably a lot of other atheists responded to the same post you did, since I am practically the token Christian on this site now. Be patient, please.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote:Even if

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

Even if morality is not relative, that does not mean any one has a perfect understanding of it.  Anytime someone says "this is moral, this is not moral," what I think they should saying is, assuming they believe in an absolute morality, "this is what I understand to be moral, this is what I understand not to be moral, based upon interpretation of X, understanding of Y, moral theory B, or experience Z."

Solipsism. I know because I have reached the conclusion based on reason, and confirmed it through revelation. I will not play your little "do you know that you know that you know" games, nor need I. Direct your question to one of the many people here who have severed their minds from God-- they rightly bemoan their helpless ignorance.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Solipsism. I know

Quote:
Solipsism. I know because I have reached the conclusion based on reason, and confirmed it through revelation. I will not play your little "do you know that you know that you know" games.

.....what game?

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Fanas wrote:You just said

Fanas wrote:

You just said that either there are no atheists over 30 years, or they are mentally retarded. Thats really insulting you know.

You have distorted my position to make it easier to attack. I didn't say you were retarded. Go play in the cornfield, it's easier to shred strawmen out there.

Quote:
And what you got against buddhists? You keep talking about them so much.

It is a degenerate philosophy, symptomatic of (a) an underdeveloped intellectual/ moral faculty and (b) a failure to grasp the necessity of a systematic philosophy in man's life.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Actually

MattShizzle wrote:

Actually he said it about Buddhists (and implied it about any non-Christians) too. So I guess Stephen Hawking, Steven Weinberg and Bill Gates are retarded, as were Carl Sagan and Albert Einstein. Meanwhile some moron who can't tell an obvious parody from serious apologetics and has no understanding of logic is very intelligent. Good joke.

No. You guys always strawman me. Stephen Hawking is not retarded. He has an underdeveloped intellectual/moral faculty. Evidently he has an unusual talent for numbers, but that does not indicate that he has any special talent in other areas of life. I suspect that he is a savant of some sort.

That WAS serious apologetics. You have no idea what you are talking about.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Life is a game ? .... Is

Life is a game ? .... Is this a video of degenerate ignorance ? Thanks for your revealing posts xain .... you are a lesson indeed .... please keep talking ....

"Wisdom of the Buddha" , 8 min

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTsb-woP3jI

Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ah wonderful, yet another

Ah wonderful, yet another fool who brings up Occam's razor without understanding what it is.

Occam's razor most commonly reads as:
"All things Being Equal, the simplest answer is most often the correct answer."

Its original wording being;
"Entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily."

What this means for your pitiful little attempt to use it to justify your baseless belief in the soul, is that you are needlessly adding something, namely the soul. The reason we can accept the atom, even though its simpler to just believe in the five elements of earth wind fire water and spirit is because that is what the evidence suggests. In this case the argument is thus;

The atom exists.

VS.

All of the scientific evidence is wrong and the atom does not exist and all of the technologies upon which our understanding of the atom rely work purely by coincidence and everything is really made of magickal Five Elements that are awesome and just do everything by magick and stuff.

Obviously the first option is the least complicated one.

As for the Soul

All of the evidence flat out states as fact that once the neural chemistry goes bye bye it nevers says hello again, long term oxygen deficiency often causes irreversible brain damage. You can say that this is because the neural chemistry is nothing more than a pathway to channel the soul, however there is no evidence to support this claim whatsoever, especially once we factor in that we have isolated speific parts of the brain that are apparently responsible for memories, these distinctions are further enforced by the evidence that damaging these parts of the brain damages the persons memories [I would like the input of DeludedGod or some other scientist on this, however this is the impression that I have gotten.]. There's nothing left for the soul to do. The claim that the soul exists is a violation of Occam's Razor.

The argument is thus;

If there is an afterlife that we go to upon the death of our physical body, then we must go with our memories. If we did not take our memories with us, then it wouldn't actually be 'us' going to the afterlife, as our memories shape who we are, even if you try to say that our mind is inherently based not on our memories but on its own consciousness there is no denying that our memories contribute to who we are today.

It then follows that our memories must be a crucial part of this so called soul. If that is the case, then why does damage to the physical brain sometimes cause damage to the memories of a person? If the physical brain is nothing more than the motherboard of the human computer while the soul is the hard drive, then why does damaging the motherboard also damage the hard drive. No you cannot say that damaging the physical brain would impair its ability to access its memories, because if that were the case than the damage would either prevent access to all memories or random memories that would fluctuate as time went by and the brain was using different parts of its 'memory access port' to access the different memories. IE it would not actually stop people from having access to their memories, it would just mean they would not be able to remember quite as much at any given time. This is not the case, we get cases where people lose specific years from their life. So either the soul is being damaged by the brain suffering damage, which would mean that the soul will likely not continue post mortem, or the memories are stored in the brain as well, or the soul just does not exist of course.

If the soul is damaged by the brain taking damage, then you can kiss your afterlife goodbye, unless Jesus saves your soul when you die. This however means that you should kill yourself now*, instead of waiting for alzheimers and other neurological disorders that come about because of aging to get a chance to set in and destroy your pretty little soul.

If the memories are also stored in the brain then the soul is kind of redundent. This lands you in trouble with Occam's razor, as you have added an entity when it is apparently not necessary. Congratulations.

Thus you have three choices, either say goodbye to your afterlife, or say goodbye to your soul, or say goodbye to being able to claim to use reason with a straight face.

Or you have the fourth choice, you can ignore everything I've said just like you've ignored the posts of everyone else who's shown you to be in fact, quite stupid.

I'm guessing you'll go with choice 4, but go ahead, prove me wrong.

As to your pointless drivelling about lumps of coal being or not being conscious, you're actually right about something. Of course what you fail to realize is that there's a big difference between lumps of coal and the neurons in your brain, maybe not in your case, in that neurons are capable of communicating, lumps of coal are not. If they could communicate, then who knows, if we assembled a network of them on the scale of complexity of the human or any other creatures brain we might get a comparable intelligence.

*This post does not actually advocate suicide.

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Ah, the parsimony objection, favorite argument of 16-year-olds everywhere. You assert -without argument- that a worldview with more is automatically worse than one with less, no matter what constitutes the more and the less.

No, not at all. I'm more than willing to accept additional elements, provided those elements can be demonstrated to be valid, and not merely speculated about.

Quote:
This is Occam's Razor at its shattering point.

Hardly. It is Occam's Razor in its normal operation: Additional needless complexity is to be eschewed unless it can be verified.

Quote:
Why do you believe in atoms? Radiation? Minds, other than your own?

You mean, so far as I do? The evidence for them can be demonstrated. Because the models that rely upon them make predictions that can be observed to fit the resulting data. However, I cannot be 100% positive these models are accurate, and so if data were to surface that contradicts those models, I would need to be ready to abandon those models in favor of more accurate ones which do match the observed data. Moreover, I can only trust these results so far as I can trust my perceptions, which is to say I that cannot truly trust them at all. I can, however, only interact with the universe as I perceive it, and so am forced to accept them, though in truth, I can place no faith in them.

Quote:

Your worldview could do without any of these, but you cling to them. You cling to them because you cannot explain the world without them. This is the Christian's answer to your distortion of a great theologian's ideas: abductive necessity, whereby the sheer epistemic need of belief in a thing overrides parsimony-based objections like yours.

My worldview actually does just fine stating that each and every one of them is, like everything else about the universe, an untrustworthy, unverifiable possibility that nevertheless must be interacted with as if it were true simply because I have nothing else to interact with. I am. All else may be. It may be illusion. It may be delusion. I'm ok with that.

Quote:

You cannot explain consciousness by means of the unconscious. A lump of coal is not conscious. A moving lump of coal is not conscious. A lump of coal joined to a moving system of other lumps of coal is not conscious. You must invoke something fundamentally different: an addition, a substance of experience, a soul.

A)Prove it. Demonstrate to me that a lump of coal is not conscious. Demonstrate that the lump of coal does not simply possess a consciousness you and I cannot interact with.

B)Even if we accept that a lump of coal is not conscious, that has no effect on the nature of the mind. The mind is the change in aggregate cascading chemical states over time. When you fully understand time, and what time actually is (beyond 'another axis of movement'), then maybe you'll get somewhere. If that day comes, let me know, because I'd dearly love to know exactly what time is and how it really works, as more than just an axis of thermodynamic entropy progression.

Quote:
Quote:
Well, if it fluctuates daily, then you must not have slept for over twenty years. If you'll read the page in a little more depth, you'll note that those rates of growth have remained constant for over a generation.

So the numbers I don't care about aren't moving. Whoop-dee-doo.

And they're consistently not moving while stuck in the 'you're losing the battle' direction. The 'God likes Islam more than Christianity, so he's helping it win' direction, if you will. Or even if you won't.

Quote:

Yeah, I'm obviously looking for validation. My posts just scream "please love me".

Love you? No... but they do scream 'see how smart I am?!? You will admit I'm smart! TELL ME I'M SMART!! TELL ME I'M SMART OR I'LL MAKES YOU TELL ME!!! I'LL MANIPULATE YOUR QUOTES UNTIL I CAN SAY YOU TOLD ME I'M SMART!!!'

By the way, how's that quote from Matt doing? Corrected the sourcing yet?

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh presupp... you are so

Oh presupp... you are so much smarter than us, as you proved in the post where you thought an atheist joke page was actual proof for god's existence.

As for morals: how can you claim that you are more moral than us, you know nothing about us. You are more arrogant than us, which does seem to be a defining christian characteristic.

The idea that morals came from the bible has been trumped time and again. Buddah came up with his own morals thousands of years ago too, and they were much better than all of god's rules. He didn't mention stoning people to death even once.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Notice this beautiful

Notice this beautiful display of Christian humility:

A few comments:

I know that some people never leave Christianity in the first place. As I explained, that is because they have exceptional moral fiber, but they might also be exceptionally intelligent.

That was not my life. I've always been a Christian.

You gotta love this guy. He's a laugh, and no mistake.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:Notice this

Nikolaj wrote:

Notice this beautiful display of Christian humility:You gotta love this guy. He's a laugh, and no mistake.

Men are stronger than women. If a male scientists reports it, is he a sexist? Does he lack humility? Or is he just reporting what is obvious to all, but voiced by none?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

There is no "Catholic God", friend. There is only THE God. I will not let your solipsisms by, you crafty little person.

That's hardly a solipsism. I believe I can know things other than my mind. Anyway, are you good with the God of the old testament then? The one who can be disappointed?

Quote:
Intelligence is also heavily involved in rationalization.

In other words: If we're dumb, it's bad. If we're smart, it's bad.

You didn't see that coming? Really?

No, there's just a lot of rationalization going on, that's all.

Only the best of men can become Christians, and only the best of them can stay Christians. This means: the Christian is more intelligent, more moral, more fit to enter eternity than the non-Christian.

Will wrote:
Wow. That's amazing. You actually believe that you're morally and intellectually superior to me. It's entirely possible - there aren't contests for those kinds of things. It's just that ... well, it sounds a bit like arbitrary elitism. Honestly, I've met stupid atheists, and I've met smart Christians. But I've also met stupid Christians and smart atheists. It's possible that you haven't met enough of either to figure out that categorizing people like that rarely works in practice.

It is not elitism, it is a statement of fact. Men are stronger than women on average. Is the scientist who reports it a sexist?

Haha - you really believe that Christian moral superiority is a fact, don't you? Have you ever travelled to a non-Christian country? It might make for an educational experience.

There are no "versions of Christianity", relativist. Your little word games do you no good. There is the Bible, and there is everything else. There is that which is Christian, and there is that which is not. This is the law of non-contradiction- or have you forgotten it, in your descent from reason? You may stand on no middle ground and no waffling theology. BELIEVE OR DON'T!

Why didn't you just say you're a biblical literalist? Geez, it's like everything is so dramatic with you. Okay, so biblical literalism it is. Do you stone people, or are you selective with your messages from God?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Men are stronger than women. If a male scientists reports it, is he a sexist?

No. Why is this relevant?

Does he lack humility?

Nope, he's just publishing test results.

Or is he just reporting what is obvious to all, but voiced by none?

Uh, it's voiced by pretty much everyone. Yeah. Common knowledge, really. Men, on average, have greater physical strength than women. That's commonly known.

Here's another something that's obvious to all, but voiced by none: God never shows up. Not for parties, not for church, not for bible readings ... never. He's also invisible and makes no sound. And his knowledge of the world He created isn't very well represented in the book He's supposed to have written.

"Obvious to all" is a good choice of words.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
When I first saw that

When I first saw that Presuppositionalist had be labeled a troll I did not know why. Now, after reading the opening post I understand. He really did just pull this out of his ass. And to not-so-subtly imply that we lack lack intelligence and moral fiber for not not being Christians, bravo good man. Bravo. You truly are the king of the trolls.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

Hasan
Hasan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Your self serving...

A few comments:

I know that some people never leave Christianity in the first place. As I explained, that is because they have exceptional moral fiber, but they might also be exceptionally intelligent. I also know that some people never leave nihilism, Buddhism, or whatever other worldview they latch onto. This is because they either (a) lack moral fiber or (b) their minds never fully develop.

I await your intelligent criticisms.

Your self serving “research” is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!  Your unsubstantiated assumption throughout that Christians are morally superior to atheists, and that Christian nations are more compassionate and ‘civilized’ than predominantly atheist/secular nations is incorrect.  The reality is the opposite to your assumptions.

Have a look at some proper research:

http://moses.creighton.edu/jrs/2005/2005-11.html

[18] In general, higher rates of belief in and worship of a creator correlate with higher rates of homicide, juvenile and early adult mortality, STD infection rates, teen pregnancy, and abortion in the prosperous democracies (Figures 1-9). The most theistic prosperous democracy, the U.S., is exceptional, but not in the manner Franklin predicted. The United States is almost always the most dysfunctional of the developed democracies, sometimes spectacularly so, and almost always scores poorly. The view of the U.S. as a “shining city on the hill” to the rest of the world is falsified when it comes to basic measures of societal health. Youth suicide is an exception to the general trend because there is not a significant relationship between it and religious or secular factors. No democracy is known to have combined strong religiosity and popular denial of evolution with high rates of societal health. Higher rates of non-theism and acceptance of human evolution usually correlate with lower rates of dysfunction, and the least theistic nations are usually the least dysfunctional. None of the strongly secularized, pro-evolution democracies is experiencing high levels of measurable dysfunction. In some cases the highly religious U.S. is an outlier in terms of societal dysfunction from less theistic but otherwise socially comparable secular developed democracies. In other cases, the correlations are strongly graded, sometimes outstandingly so.

Religion is a dream of the human mind.