PREACHER FROM WRITE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BIBLE BELT [YOU RESPOND]

RationalRespons...
RationalResponseSquad's picture
User is offlineOffline
PREACHER FROM WRITE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BIBLE BELT [YOU RESPOND]

Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 2:59 PM
Subject: [Defend my God!] I KNOW THERES A """"GOD""""

Shane Marcum sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

I know you probably get a whole lot of people in here defending god and
saying how much they hate you.

I am not one of those. I just simply do not want to see all of you burn in
hell.

My God is real i have had way to many personal experience's with God for
you to tell me they ain't one.

I WOULD LIKE YOU TO EMAIL ME AND TRY TO SHOW ME WHY YOU THINK THAT GOD IS
NOT REAL AND OF COURSE I WILL E-MAIL YOU BACK AND TELL YOU HOW I KNOW
ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE AND MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE'S THAT YOUR
STATMENT'S ARE NOT REAL.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

A SMALL TOWN PREACHER FROM WRITE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GREAT BIBLE BELT.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jesus isn't real..you see

Jesus isn't real..you see allah told me so.

ARGUMENT FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE PROVES NOTHING.

You can talk about your experiences until one of us dies, but you still won't have a minute shred of evidence.

But please come back when you do.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

From "write" in the middle of the Bible belt?

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I know you probably

Quote:
I know you probably get a whole lot of people in here defending god and saying how much they hate you.

It's amazing & sad just how much hate comes from the variation (& there are so many) of the word..."god", isn't it ?

Quote:
I just simply do not want to see all of you burn in hell.

This assumes something rather silly.  What if there were hundreds of different religious ideologies, and each of them attempted to control other humans w/ horrible threats of punishment.  Would we believe each of them ?  If not, why would we be so stupid as to reject all of them, but be stupid enough to believe just one of them were true ?  Wouldn't we be smart enough to see the obvious pattern here:  Every one of these is so obviously fake, i bet the one my parents taught me is fake too.  Wouldn't we hope somehow that humans were smart enough to figure that out ?

Quote:
My God is real i have had way to many personal experience's with God for you to tell me they ain't one.

The # of persons who have stated your exact words but believed in a different god than the one you believe in:  Billions.  They were all wrong weren't they ?  You are not unique despite what your ego is telling you.  

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:

STATMENT'S ARE NOT REAL.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

Oh, that's easy.  Can god create a rock so heavy that even he can't lift it?  Yes, he did and was crushed by one and died.  He is currently buried under Mt. Olympus and the true gods mock him by having built houses on the top of the mountain.

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would like to know why we

I would like to know why we must email him - why he cannot just sign up for the board?  Doesn't want any record of being pwned maybe?

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
okie dokie

Well your god is exactly that.....your god, in your head and imagination, which you believe to be real, now comes the real question, you believe in him and believe that he does great things for you.....how do you know it's not the devil, after all in the Torah it does state that there is no one between man and god, yet christians believe that jesus stands before man and god, isn't that worshipping a false god? The devil could trick you into believing this all the while your worshipping this false idol (yeah I have seen the crosses and jesus on them you know it's idol worship). So while you may believe that god is real you have no proof at all that god exists, or that the god you believe you have had experiences with isn't the devil himself, after all he is the great liar right?

But I know, you don't want to see us burn in hell and all, and that's nice of you. but lets admit the truth you don't believe in the bible,your a wanker posing as a believer. You should know that the bible states that only god can give you faith in him and if god doesn't want us to have faith in him, let it be, dont' come in here with the brimestone and fire crap, because it doesn't work, you need more brains than that to convience us that god exists, the scare tactic might work on 5 year olds, but we are not 5 year olds preacher.

Sleestack
Sleestack's picture
User is offlineOffline

[email protected] wrote:

I know you probably get a whole lot of people in here defending god and
saying how much they hate you.

I am not one of those. I just simply do not want to see all of you burn in
hell.

My God is real i have had way to many personal experience's with God for
you to tell me they ain't one.

STATMENT'S ARE NOT REAL.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

It's funny, I was talking to my dog Allah just yesterday and he told me how foolish it is that a lot of humans have this belief in super natural beings. Now I want you to PROOVE to me that my dog Allah did not talk to me. I have hundreds of personal experiences of my dog talking to me.

Sorry, it's going to take a lot more than personal ancedotes to convince me that what you experienced was 'real' or quotes from a book that is made up of fictional stories.

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
You're too late to save my

You're too late to save my soul, I already live in hell.  As to why I don't believe in your goddog; well, it has to do with rapists, serial killers, child molesters, earthquakes, tsunamis that kill thousands of innocent children and babies, wife beaters, husband beaters, war, famine, "prezadint" bush, the bible, holier-than-thou christians, holier-than-thou preachers, fundamentalists of all stripes, priests and imams, thors and bhuddas, spirits and ghosts, witches and magic, religions and cults (no real difference), gods and goddesses, and last but certainly not least: yahway, god and allah.

Each makes its own case against the existence of any spiritual being even remotely interested in our miserable lives (actually, mine is pretty good I was just throwing in a little sarcasm).  When you can explain to a person of reason and not of faith why your god would create such a horrendous world, and explain what kind of plan it could have had for tens of thousands of children swept into oblivion by one of his tsunamis without bringing "faith" into the discussion, then I'll take another look.  Of course that would just strengthen my resolve.  Reading the bible was what convinced me it was all bullshit.  Even if there was a god I'd refuse to submit to it in any way, shape or form.  But that, and faith, are best left to a philosophical discussion where you can actually treat fantasy as reality.

Think of the reasons you no longer believe in Santa Claus or why you don't believe in Odin or Zeus, faeries and elves, and you'll know why I don't believe in your goddog.  Read your bible, I mean really read it, look for inconsistencies (there's thousands), read it critically and you will see the signs of the frightened, superstitious, pathetic little primitive authors (there were many more than you suspect) who knew nothing of the world but didn't need to know anything to write the word of goddog.  Everyone knows that insects have four legs, come on! 

The OT bible is nothing but midrash taken from older culture's myths and adapted, rather poorly, to the Jew's monotheistic idea. The NT is nothing but more of the same bullshit.  Broaden your horizons Shane. Pick up a few good books written by theologists who are trained in the ancient languages and who have studied the ancient manuscripts and the history (the real history, not the made up one) of the middle east during those times. Start out with Bart Ehrman's "Misquoting jesus".  He believes in goddog and he was a fundy.

As for actual experiences, I was involved in a traffic collision in 1979.  I was killed, or at least my heart stopped as a result of the collision.  Paramedics revived me some 6-7 minutes after I was checked by them.  The ambulance was some two or three blocks behind me heading in the same direction.  I remember seeing a bright light and having a warm fuzzy feeling all over like everything was going to be okay.  Now, I'm not a neurologist but I think the bright light was either the headlights of the car I collided with or it was the result of my head banging against the shotgun rack (I was a cop) and breaking the shotgun in two (no seat belt). The warm fuzzy feeling was the blood flowing through my veins again.  No magic, just science and good work by the paramedics.

I hope I've helped you along the way to disbelief but I doubt I did.  Before you simply disregard my claims as "not real", at least do some of the research.  There is no ignorance greater than ignorance that speaks from facts based on fantasy.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damn!  I forgot to put

Damn!  I forgot to put jeebus at the end of that first paragraph!

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Does god go by the name Jack

Does god go by the name Jack Daniels when you "experience" him?

netjaeger
netjaeger's picture
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:

Shane Marcum sent a message

Noting that asking for email might not be a winning strategy, and may expose you to stuff you might find offensive.

Quote:
I just simply do not want to see all of you burn in hell.

That is nice.  Why would anyone burn in Hell?

Quote:
My God is real i have had way to many personal experience's with God for you to tell me they ain't one. "

Kuhl.  You should be able to find out directly why God picked you out, why God hasn't picked out most humans, and how any finite being could deserve infinite punishment.

Quote:

Must be quite a badge of honor, eh?

tq

magilum
User is offlineOffline
 Your god is a morbid

Your god is a morbid obsession with daddy; a permanent security blanket and cruel authority figure. Get a fucking clue.

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
"I just simply do not want

"I just simply do not want to see all of you burn in
hell. "

You can stop worrying since that's not going to happen.  Thanks for the concern though.

Since you want me to believe that god is real it's up to you to prove its existence to me. 

(psst . . . Its "right" not "write" and continuous use of caps lock makes you look REALLY dumb, although if that's the look you're going for . . .)

"I am that I am." - Proof that the writers of the bible were beyond stoned.

Yaerav
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
(sent a link to the thread)

Dear Shane,

For starters, I thank you for not hating me- I'd say that is very New-Testamentical of you.

You ask me (among others, of course) why I do not think there is a personal god. This is not because I have not read the Bible, because I have. It is not because I have never been preached at, because I have been. It is not even because I have never prayed- as a child I was so shocked when I discovered how much suffering there is in the world that I was willing to try anything.
Neither is it because of all the bigotry, hatred and irrationality I have had the (not undivided) pleasure of experiencing when dealing with followers of Abrahamic religions- since I have also had experiences with Christians, Muslems and Jews that were very gratifying.

What wás the initial reason for discarding what spirituality I had was that besides the Bible, I have also read the "Holy Scriptures" of a number of other religions: the Koran, the Mahabharata/Baghavad Gita, the Edda, large parts of the Avesta and the Kojiki, and loose works like the Heart Sutra (*), as well as hundreds of myths and legends belonging to dozens upon dozens of tiny cults and religions.

Each follower of a religion will claim that "his/her" specific scripture contains absolute truth. Many followers of each and every religion have had personal experiences that, for that follower, confirm the absolute truth of his/her faith, just like you have...

...but they cannot all be right! And be honest: who are you to claim that the beliefs are false that Muhammed was visited by an angel and learned the "true" teachings, personally haggled with God over how many times believers should pray each day, and eventually flew to heaven on a winged horse? Or that the god Ganesha personally penned down every word of the Mahabharata as recounted by Vyasa, and that Krishna personally revealed himself to Arjuna to be the incarnation of God on earth?

You may say "That must be false, because the Bible teaches us differently". But keep in mind that, although there are many Christians in this world, there are still (and have always been) many more non-Christians. And besides that I am willing to bet that you have read the Bible, but not the books that tell the above-mentioned stories that many other people take for gospel.

As for "I just simply do not want to see all of you burn in hell", I appreciate that, but I do not believe hell exists in the first place, so this veiled threat ((**) does not really land in fertile soil- but for a more concise answer to this I would urge you to look at this little clip from youtube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=v9WRG4e6m2s which deals extensively with Pascal's Wager (Which is the "you have nothing to lose by believing but everything to lose by not believing"- argument)

And to conclude this letter -and this is a very important point- non-believers are no worse, morally, then believers. Personally I think that religious scriptures (which are all rather alike as far as describing good morals is concerned) do, not PRE-scribe how a good person should live, but simply DE-scribe how good people live and which behaviour is socially constructive- which are universal concepts that are not exclusive to any single religion. Although religions do tend to add some nonsense into the mixture... for example, who in the world cares about carven images?

Kind regards,

Yaerav

(*) These scriptures belong to, in order: Islam, Hinduism, Asátru, Zoroastrianism, Shintoism and Buddhism- all of these currently have followers.
(**) I realize that you may not even realize that what you are saying DOES comprise a veiled threat and will, especially by those who consider it an empty one (and have heard it dozens upon dozens of times before), evoke a certain measure of annoyance.

PS: If you will, please respond on the forum, you will reach more people this way. Otherwise, unless you have objections, I would like to post your reply there in a quote-box.

Silly_Mommy
BloggerSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
False hopes

"I WILL E-MAIL YOU BACK AND TELL YOU HOW I KNOW..."

Finally, someone with real proof!

"...ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE AND MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE'S..."

Damn, I guess not.

"...THAT YOUR STATMENT'S ARE NOT REAL"

You mean, those statements based on evidential proof (aka science)? So are you the type of person to accept science when it benefits your life, but rejects it when it contradicts your man-made book?