Atheism books for teens???? Need Help!!!

DYLANUK
DYLANUK's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheism books for teens???? Need Help!!!

Hey guys

My girlfriend is the teen librarian at Cherry Hill libraray NJ.....I said i would be really pleased if she added some Atheist Literature into the teen religious section. So then i went on a hunt to find some books for her to order but suprise suprise i couldnt find any! maybe you experts can help me! remember they have to be aimed at teens!

I just think it sucks that i couldnt find ANY especially when all libraries are packed out with religious nonsense...we know they like to get the kids young, so why shouldnt we have a chance to let the kids make up there own minds?

HELP!!!

Dylan

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Don't know of any for teens

Don't know of any for teens but there is at least one for children if she could get it for the childrens' library - Just Pretend by Dan Barker - available from the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

DYLANUK
DYLANUK's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well that's a start! Thanks

Well that's a start! Thanks man

it's still really annoying that the teen side is ignored

MattShizzle wrote:

Don't know of any for teens but there is at least one for children if she could get it for the childrens' library - Just Pretend by Dan Barker - available from the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
His Dark Materials, all

His Dark Materials, all three books : Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass.

Forget the movie they made out of the first one. The books are fantastic.

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yearh, I'm totally with

Yearh, I'm totally with Anonymouse. His Dark Materials are absolutely brilliant, just generally, and also specifically from an anti-religious point of view. Trouble is though, if it's because you want your girlfriend to make an "atheism for teens" section of the library it doesn't make a lot of sense to put His Dark Materials there. I mean, it's fiction and it's fantasy, and I suspect you are looking for something non-fiction, that deals specifically with the subject of Atheism, like "The God Delusion" or "End of Faith", but for teens.

And add to that the fact that unless it's a very small library, they probably have His Dark Materials allready. They are fairly succesful books after all.

But just in case: the author's name is Phillip Pullman.

And as a shout-out; to anyone here who hasn't read them yet, get on it, and quick! And that means everyone!

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
How about "Imagine No

How about "Imagine No Superstition by Stephen Frederick (the book's advertised in the column on the left side.  Also, don't limit books simply to those about atheism, include Humanism in the collection with "Humanism, What's That?: A Book for Curious Kids" by Helen Bennett, although that one might be for kids younger than high school.

Here's a link to Amazon.com that will take you to the page that Bennett's book is described on.  Look at the "also bought" books below the main section. There are a lot of books available on both atheism and humanism.  Try looking for books on secularism too.  Hope this helps.

http://www.amazon.com/Humanism-Whats-That-Book-Curious/dp/1591023874/ref=pd_sim_b_5

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
BTW, if you start this be

BTW, if you start this be prepared for a lot of flak.  If the teacher doesn't nix it some neurotic parent with a death fixation (read: rapture) will start a whole lot of hysterics since her moral (NOT!!) indignation got aroused (sexually) by a couple of pagans (that's you and your girlfriend) trying to poison our children's minds with all that filthy talk about not believing in our most loving, giving, (arousing) dog. Just ignore them, eventually they'll go away. Yeah, right! But hey, go for it and be a thorn in their collective sides for as long as you can.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Happily Godless: A Young

"Happily Godless: A Young Adult's Guide to Atheism"

http://www.amazon.com/Happily-Godless-Young-Adults-Atheism/dp/1424199638

Reviews sound good .... great idea btw, focus on the kids. Atheism cartoons ....

Maybe ??? -  "Kids Book of World Religions"  .... (comparatives can be a good idea if done right) 

http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Book-World-Religions-Books/dp/1550749595

I read one review that said it was a bit pro christian .... 

Been Googling for an hour and yeah, there is not much there, shame shame on us...

I found much more searching "Buddhism books for kids", which is mostly atheist / pantheistic (no god worship). I looked at only few tho, that didn't impress me overall. Maybe some good ones there tho ? ....

Basic buddha 101 for kids, drop all the silly folklore.

Buddha means “the awakened person.”

The Buddha goal is to end unnecessary suffering, and to help all to be happy as possible.

A Buddha knows she is the universe. He knows everyone else is too.

Everyone is equal, everyone is the universe and everyone is a Buddha.

Buddhism is as a mirror teaching all to see the Buddha inside themselves.

Fundamental object of respect; we are Buddhas and so is everyone else, women, men and young people.

______________________________________________________________ *

"Wisdom of the Buddha" , 8 min

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTsb-woP3jI

NO, I am not a Buddhist, I am god as you.   Just as Jesus/Buddha said, as many others did and do .... NO MASTER.  

.... Wish I could write , well I could make some suggestions ....       

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sund v. City of Wichita

Sund v. City of Wichita Falls, Texas, 121 F. Supp. 2d 530 (N.D. Texas, 2000)

City residents who were members of a church sought removal of two books, Heather Has Two Mommies and Daddy's Roommate, because they disapproved of the books' depiction of homosexuality. The City of Wichita Falls City Council voted to restrict access to the books if 300 persons signed a petition asking for the restriction. A separate group of citizens filed suit after the books were removed from the children's section and placed on a locked shelf in the adult area of the library. Following a trial on the merits, the District Court permanently enjoined the city from enforcing the resolution permitting the removal of the two books. It held that the City's resolution constituted impermissible content-based and viewpoint based discrimination; was not narrowly tailored to serve a compelling state interest; provided no standards or review process; and improperly delegated governmental authority over the selection and removal of the library's books to any 300 private citizens who wish to remove a book from the children's area of the Library.

You might want to research this case as it would have an impact on your decision. Take note of the name of the guy who made the biggest fuss over these two books. He's now head preacher at the 1st Baptist Church in Dallas.

Vote for McCain... www.therealmccain.com ...and he'll bring Jesus back

Visual_Paradox
atheistRational VIP!Special Agent
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
You might find these links

You might find these links helpful Smiling

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chilteenbks.htm

http://www.prometheusbooks.com/ (in the dropdown menu on the right, choose Young Readers)

http://www.evolvefish.com/fish/kidsbooks.html

http://secweb.infidels.org/?kiosk=category&id=27

Also, don't underestimate teens, many will devour adult books. (When I was 15, for example, I dug my way through both volumes of "The System of Nature" by Baron d'Holbach.) Also, you might want to consider some "stepping stone" books that might cause YECs to doubt their religion and perhaps go to a less dogmatic one, thus paving the road toward reading adult atheist books. For those, you might want to check out some Universal Unitarianism books.

Good luck Smiling

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes!

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Since atheism is not a

Since atheism is not a doctrine, and since free expression of atheistic viewpoints is still not fully possible in US society, you won't find many books actively endorsing it, let alone ones aimed at a teen market. Most of the popular literature in recent years that specifically advocates an atheistic outlook is "reactionary" non-fiction, aimed at debunking the propaganda, misunderstandings, lies and superstitions which abound in religion and are presented non-critically as fact.

A library today would find it hard to stock a specifically "atheist" bookcase, even for adults. But I would be more inclined to tackle another issue first - is the library, even unwittingly, endorsing a weighted concept of religion simply through its categorisation policy? I have seen, for example, bookshops and libraries with categories such as "Christianity" and "Other Religions", the latter being the smaller. This reflects simply the bulk of material available for display, but it also subliminally reinforces a particular vew of the status worth-wise of the relative subject matter.

One bookshop met the challenge in a way that I liked - I think it was in San Francisco but I can't remember its name. There they had divided the material into "Religion - advocacy", "Religion - fundamentalism", "Religion - sociology", "Religion - atheism", "Religion - reference", "Religion - theology", and so on. I had no problem with atheism sitting cheek by jowl with the rest of the stuff as the books concerned did indeed address religious issues, albeit in a debunking manner.

The "advocacy" section contained material advocating religion, naturally enough, but the fact that "Sacrifice: The Making Of The Muslim" shared shelf space with Benny Hinn's "Lord, I Need A Miracle" does at least encourage a browser to pick up and compare - a first step to realising that maybe the "mainstream" message does not deserve respect just because it's prevalent and that better literature advocating alternative viewpoints exists. The same applied in the "theology" section. Even if the customer only scanned the titles they would at least have reinforced the realisation that there are a lot of different religions out there, all of whom think they are right, yet having severe problems even agreeing amongst themselves within any one of them what it all really signifies.

A very telling section under "advocacy", by the way, was a subsection "For Children". This was suspiciously well-stocked but when one saw how everyone from the Ba'hai to the Pentecostals were essentially making the same pitch and appealing in the same way to the same childish view of the world it left one in absolutely no doubt what was going on in that "literary sub genre". Nowhere was there a category "Propaganda", but then it wasn't needed. One look at the children's books was enough to see that the shelves contained little else.

I'm with the poster above who said that teens should not be underestimated - and in fact when it comes to religion even more so. For a lot of people it is in one's teens that one tackles this question seriously for the first time while having the appropriate skills and access to research the subject oneself. How the research material is presented can have as much effect as its contents, especially in establishing a basic perspective over the true scope, nature and relative application of the superstition-based ideologies on offer.

If I had to however stock a library section aimed at teens I would simply remove the more esoteric elements from the available adult literature (a lot of the theology stuff is inaccessible to almost everyone outside of a very narrow group of interested and specifically educated parties) and arrange my categories much as that bookshop did. After that they can make their own minds up.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Specifically atheist books

Specifically atheist books for teens may be in short supply, but there are plenty of books suitable for the age group, both in fiction and non-fiction that fit the bill in terms of encouraging an inquisitive, irreverent mind.  Basically anything by Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett should be entertaining enough for  a teenage reader as far as fiction goes, and I'd also recommend the novels of Phillip K. Dick.  Non-fiction poses a deeper challenge, given that they're getting plenty of that concurrently in school, but the classics of pop science like Brief History are at least a start in that direction.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Education .... Must say,

Education .... Must say, when we kids were young Mom and Dad would often read out loud to each other stuff from their favorite books. They were real book fans. I liked it.

Favorites from Einstein, Freud, Jung, Skinner, Becker, Carl Sagan, Bertrand Russell, Sartre, Nietzsche, Kahill Gibran, Oliver Goldsmith, Samuel Johnson, Jacques Cousteau.

Mom would read NT Jesus drunk and yell , "see, the damn church people are idiots" .... No fooling, and sober Dad would nod and laugh .... My Mom was radical anti church. 

So here I AM, atheist to the core, opps, I meant GOD ! ... as all is God.    Lucky ignorant uneducated me.

Teach the kids, they need you ....   

Knight
User is offlineOffline
Here is a great site:

Here is a great site: http://questioner.www2.50megs.com/Books_For_Atheist_Parents_And_Children.html

You have children's books, and it basically goes in age-recommended order. The "young adult" books are towards the bottom. And best of all, there is a link to Amazon for each book.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'd reccomend the "maybe

I'd reccomend the "maybe yes, maybe no" one. Dan Barker is a very good writer. Buy it directly from the ffrf rather than Amazon (unless you get it linked from here.) It's cheaper if you're an ffrf member and it gives them support.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just grab 'The Selfish Gene'

Just grab 'The Selfish Gene' and 'The Blind Watchmaker'. These are very interesting books, and a teen can tackle them for sure.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That I'm not sure of. There

That I'm not sure of. There was a lot I couldn't comprehend in "The Blind Watchmaker" and I have a Bachelors degree.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Really?...Come to think of

Really?

...Come to think of it, perhaps my personal experience isn't the best to gauge from. I was reading Stephen King novels when I was in grade six.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940