The Unitarian Universalist Church is atheism incognito! I'm Joining!! (Proof Inside)

UlyssesBreckenridge
User is offlineOffline
The Unitarian Universalist Church is atheism incognito! I'm Joining!! (Proof Inside)

http://www.uunashua.org/100q/c1.shtml#q9

This was taken from the link above.

Which values do you hold highest?

We regard the highest values to be integrity, caring, compassion, social justice, truth, personal peace and harmony. Advancing these values is a major purpose of our congregations.

Does the UUA have a creed?

No. Although the bylaws of the association do contain a section on purposes and principles, it is not a statement of a religious creed.

Do you subscribe to any doctrines?

We have no specific doctrines to which members are expected to subscribe. However, the bylaws of the UUA (Unitarian Universalist Association) and member churches and societies do contain a Statement of Purpose and Principles (see page 18). These are the basis of a solemn agreement that member churches will support the UUA and that the UUA will support the individual churches.

What do you NOT believe?

We do not believe that any religious precept or doctrine must be accepted as true simply because some religious organization, tradition or authority says it is. Neither do we believe that all UUs should have identical beliefs.

Do some UUs have different beliefs than other UUs?

They certainly do. Since individual freedom of belief is one of our basic principles, it follows that there will be differing beliefs among us. Found in today's churches are humanism, agnosticism, atheism, theism, liberal Christianity, neo-paganism and earth spiritualism. These beliefs are not mutually exclusive--it's possible to hold more than one. While we are bound by a set of common principles, we leave it to the individual to decide what particular beliefs lead to those principles.

Do you believe in God?

We do not have a defined doctrine of God. Members are free to develop individual concepts of God that are meaningful to them. They are also free to reject the term and concept altogether.

Most of us do not believe in a supernatural, supreme being who can directly intervene in and alter human life or the mechanism of the natural world. Many believe in a spirit of life or a power within themselves, which some choose to call God.

Do you believe in a personal God?

A personal God is one with whom someone feels a one-to-one relationship, a deity who cares specifically for that individual and to whom that person can appeal directly. Few UUs would characterize God in such personal terms.

What role does God play in the Church?

In most services, there are few, if any, mentions of a deity. The emphasis is on issues of human growth, human potential and personal human issues that we all face in day-to-day living. There is also an emphasis on social, moral and ethical issues that confront us. Although subjects are presented from the religious perspective of the minister or the speaker, it is never assumed that all present have a common belief in God.

God means different things to different UUs. To some, the term has little or no meaning. Whatever the case may be, we offer an accepting congregation where each person can discover what gives life meaning, purpose and direction.

Do you believe in the existence of spiritual beings?

Not in the sense of something that is disembodied. Most agree that there is a spiritual dimension to life that is connected to the physical, mental, emotional, and psychological aspects of life.

Do you believe in miracles?

We do not believe in miracles in any supernatural way since our ideas of God generally do not include a deity who has the ability to alter the workings of the natural world. Most UUs feel that the gift of life itself is sufficient miracle, and that we should live as fully, joyfully and responsibly as we can.

Do you believe in Jesus?

We do not believe that Jesus Christ was born of a virgin, performed miracles and was resurrected from death. We do admire and respect the way he lived, the power of his love, the force of his example and his system of values.

Most UUs regard Jesus as one of several important moral and ethical teachers who have shown humans how to live a life of love, service and compassion. Though some of us may question whether Jesus was an actual historical figure, we believe his teachings are of significant moral value.

How do you regard the Bible?

We regard the Bible as one of many important religious texts but do not consider it unique or exclusive in any way. We do not interpret it literally. We think some parts of it offer more truth and relevance than other parts. Although UUs respect the Bible and regard some of its content as great literature, it is not a central document in our religion.

Do you believe in life after death?

Very few UUs believe in a continuing, individualized existence after physical death. Even fewer believe in the physical existence of places called heaven or hell where one goes after dying. We believe immortality manifests itself in the lives of those we affect during our lifetime and in the legacy we leave when we die.

Do you believe in the concept of evolution?

Yes. We believe that more complex life forms have evolved from less complex life forms.

What are the bonds that unify UUs?

While there are no written or verbal doctrines designed for that purpose, we have both stated and unstated bonds which unify us. The stated bonds are the Principles and Purposes of the UUA which we support individually and collectively.

Among the unstated bonds are our mutual respect for each other and our appreciation of the many religious, philosophical and spiritual paths which our members pursue. We are bound together in our mutual concern for one another's well being, and our willingness to aid each other in time of need.

UlyssesBreckenridge
User is offlineOffline
Kay Cat

Kay Cat wrote:

UlyssesBreckenridge wrote:

I know I'm just throwing a fit.

And call me Uly.

You live in Texas right cat?

what relevance does that have to this thread? Also, why can't you bother to read my other posts instead of repeatedly asking me?  That last point alone makes me assume you're intellectually lazy.

I didn't know every post had to be relevant to the thread. So you would rather someone read about you instead of having a conversation, that make you look socially lazy and your personal attack makes you rude. Also I didn't Pwn myself, if you took time to read the whole thread you would understand why.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
UlyssesBreckenridge

shelleymtjoy wrote:

2. I guess what I'm saying is there are many shades of grey when it comes to group interaction, why say one shade means you are missing something in yourself and another shade is fine. There are also many atheist organizations people claim to be in the RRS for example or the AAI or American Atheists.

Yes, but you're overlooking the fact that UU is not an atheist organization.

So atheist organization good, non-atheist organization bad?

Not at all.  I have a problem, however, with you are implying  UU fits right in with other Atheist organizations (like, per your example, American Atheists.)

Anne (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
UUs welcome atheists

I have been a Unitarian Universalist for many years and I have no interest in deism what-so-ever. 35% of my home congregation is atheist and 35% are agnostics. Of the 30% who are theists the majority are pantheists and panentheists. Most Unitartian Universalists are Humanists and are active in social justice work.  Unitarians say Yes: yes to life, yes to love, yes to the Earth, yes to service, yes to social justice. We welcome every question and every faith position.  Every member of our church has the freedom and the responsibility to search for their own meaning and truth.  Belief in God is a minority position in our Church.

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi OPIE

Hi OPie,

Actually, technically speaking they're atheists, since they deny the only true God. But they do combine the "religious" experiences of others to find a universal truth in all. So, they don't really claim to be atheistic.

But in Portland, many Unitarian Churches have Witches and high level Satanist conduct their services.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).