How do you tell the difference?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
How do you tell the difference?

I've seen the notion that some Theists don't actually believe and are 'culture Theists' or 'believe in a belief' or something similar.

So how do you tell the difference between these and the Theists that actually believe?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
~sigh~How'd we get from

~sigh~

How'd we get from there to here?  Thanks, Kev and Prozac.  I appreciate you jumping in with lots of name calling when I was trying really hard to show Pineapple that this isn't about name calling.  So much for proving to her that she won't get jumped on if she tries to be more open with her opinions.

It's good to know that I wasted all that time.  Pineapple, it looks like it would be best if you stay in your shell after all.  Apparently I overestimated the empathy of this board as a whole.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hamby, I do apologize if

Hamby, I do apologize if calling Cap'n out has offended you, but I just don't get it:

We have evidence contradicting Pineapple's assertions. We have past precedent for Pineapple playing games with people. going back through this thread, we have countless examples where Pineapple turned simple questions into personal attacks.

Would you please explain to me why it is that you don't want me calling him out on his bullshit?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Hamby, I

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Hamby, I do apologize if calling Cap'n out has offended you, but I just don't get it:

We have evidence contradicting Pineapple's assertions. We have past precedent for Pineapple playing games with people. going back through this thread, we have countless examples where Pineapple turned simple questions into personal attacks.

Would you please explain to me why it is that you don't want me calling him out on his bullshit?

I could be wrong, but it appears Hamby is trying to help Pineapple understand how being evasive on everything keeps people from wanting to help when someone is asking for help. In that context calling a spade a spade only causes the person in need of help to be even more evasive, even to the point of shutting out all who are trying to help. In short, don't call out Pineapple in a way that makes Pineapple think we're attacking.

Vote for McCain... www.therealmccain.com ...and he'll bring Jesus back

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

~sigh~

How'd we get from there to here?  Thanks, Kev and Prozac.  I appreciate you jumping in with lots of name calling when I was trying really hard to show Pineapple that this isn't about name calling.  So much for proving to her that she won't get jumped on if she tries to be more open with her opinions.

It's good to know that I wasted all that time.  Pineapple, it looks like it would be best if you stay in your shell after all.  Apparently I overestimated the empathy of this board as a whole.

I'm sorry Hamby.  I did try to mitigate my harshness toward Capt in my subsequent post to her and to place my comments toward her in a more constructive context.

It goes without saying that not everyone here has the same level of emotional serenity with which to relate from.  I know that by nature I don't possess that quality.   Although I could be completely wrong about you I doubt that you must work as hard at containing your negative emotions as I do. My personality runs on pure emotion so for me it is not so easy to remain emotionally detached.  Please note I fully accept responsibility for my mistakes and am not making excuses or trying to rationalize away my guilt.

I completely agree with being passive and non-confrontational in my exchanges with Capt or anyone else that I may communicate with.  The advantages are not lost on me even though I may occasionally cross the line due to a momentary loss of control.

I work at making it ( ie, flaming ) the exception and not the rule.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Capt, I apologize for

Capt,  I apologize for stepping on your toes, so to speak.   We apparently both have "issues"  but I should not have allowed my problems to become your problems.  My bad.

[ edit: PDW exits this thread ]

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
It's just that I've never

It's just that I've never seen somebody with the patience of Hamby, other people would have been returning the flames by now.

I take pretty much everything personally. When I thought Hamby was laughing/gossiping behind my back, I was dead serious. I thought that was why he wasn't being aggressive. Then I thought about and realized he doesn't seem to be that kind of person. When I re-read what he said about the cycle after PDW's post I saw it.

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: It has

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
It has nothing to do with them being atheists. It's all about them being arrogant snobs.

Who are "them"? Please be specific.

Prozac, I have a tremendous amount of respect for your standpoint, as I think the following post will show, but Pinapple, I don't see you as a theist, as it appears Prozac does? Do you classify yourself as such? I haven't been here nearly as long as most of the other posters in this thread, but I have never seen you appear theistic in your views. You are much more of a doubter, than a believer as far as I can see, and if I have any disrespect for you, (and I'm sorry to say that by now, I do) then it certainly doesn't come from a percieved notition of you being theistic.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
But hey at least Kev is honest about not liking me unlike the others.

Who are "the others"?. Please be specific.

This is important, because the above, as I'm sure you can see, is rather insulting, and if you are going to insult people openly like this, at least point out who we, or they, are, because otherwise everyone on the forum, except Kevin, will think you are talking about them too, and do you really want to insult everyone here? If you do, fine, but then be specific about that.

As an aside, to Kevin: I'm sorry to say, everything I've seen you respond to Pinapple is malevolent, arrogant, and mean-spirited. I haven't been on the forums long enough to know wether you have good reason for this behavior, and I generally find you moderately pleasant, so I won't call you malevolent, arrogant, and mean-spirited in general, but I have little sympathy for your handling of Pinapple, whatever her behavior (or his, I have chosen to believe her about her gender, but if you feel you have good reason for believing otherwise, that's fine. This is the internet, afterall, so it's not that big a deal to me if I'm being played for a fool on that particular topic).

Pinapple: So, "honest about not liking you", you write. Have I not made it abundantly clear in the "boobs" thread, and our extended exchange there, that I did not like your behavior there at all?

I don't like you?

When I first arrived at the forums, and read some of your comments as the first ones, I liked you quite a bit. I thought you were funny, and clever, and posed questions, and made comments, that were all very thoughtprovoking, and observant, and all with a charming tongue-in-cheek attitude. And I haven't lost all of that respect for you since, but I have grown increasingly frustrated, even infuriated, with your extremely malicous passive-aggresive behavior, not to mention your very insulting behavior at times.

"Arrogant snobs" for example. Sure, some of the people here, myself especially, can be arrogant and snoby at times, but if you are going to throw that out there let me point out, that from the very beginning, when I read comments of yours, back when i liked you alot, I thought you were being more arrogant and snobby than most. I still liked you, because you were charming in your arrogance and snobbyness, but I think you are one of the most arrogant and snobby people here, and it has since turned out less than flatering, when combined with your less tongue-in-cheek comments, to me, among others.

And finally this:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
'errr yeah Cpt, we're just trying to help you, we're not laughing at you (snicker..)'

At NO POINT! have I been laughing at you!!! In the beginning, I laughed with you, because I thought you made some clever, and charming remarks from time to time, but as I have been subjected to some of your less flattering behavior, I have smiled less and less, you can be sure of that! I may think many things of you by now, but to think you a laughing-stock is the furthest thing from my mind.

I don't wan't to make you more angry or annoyed, or distrustful, but I have to go with Prozac and say that if I respond with strong emotions here in this post, then it is because I want to grap you by the shoulders and shout "SNAP OUT OF IT".

Yes you are pissing me off with your insulting and arrogant attitude.

Yes you are worrying me with your distrustful behavior, and your selfdeprecating remarks ("I can't express myself clearly". FUCK THAT, of course you can, I understand the things you write, just fine, and you are clearly clever, and observant, and in no way stupid. You are many things, but stupid is certainly not one. The things you don't write are not because you can't, it's because you won't, and I would respect that if you would just stop with the snide attitude. A simple; "I won't talk about that" will do.)

And yes you make me sad to insist on not budging an inch even though I and several others have tried to meet you on your own terms, and be as non-confrontive as possible, but what really infuriates me is that we can't even do that (be sad or worried over your behavior) without you turning that into another huge attack by the evil masses on "poor little you". If I'm saddened by your behavior, and find myself guessing at how you have become so insulated, distrustful and passive-aggresive, then THAT IS MY FUCKING ISSUE!. I choose who I feel sympathy and/or a need to make pop-psychology assumptions about, not you! If you don't like it, so what? I'm not your farther or brother, or best friend, or boss. I'm just some person on the other side of the globe, and if you had even a gram of self-confidence, you would see that my opinion of you is not going to hurt you in any way whatsoever! Stop acting like we are all hurting you in some way! Be your own fucking person for fucks sake!

But no... no you do not make me laugh at you Pinapple. Not for a second. If you could see my facial expressions whenever I read your posts these days, you'd see that I have almost nothing but anger, frustration and sadness left for you by now. Should I retain just a little hope, that that charming, clever person I thought you were to begin with is actually in there somewhere, or should I just give up, and start treating you like Kevin does?

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nik: I have no patience for

Nik: I have no patience for people whose sole objective is to dredge-up drama. Look at Pineapple's record; his posting pattern is as follows:

Make BS claim / talk incoherently -> Get called on BS / incoherency -> Act out and play-up victim/drama, attempting to defame others and illicit support in the form of sympathy.

This thread is actually a perfect microcosm of this behavioral pattern take a look for yourself:

Cap'n posts innocent and simple enough topic -> people give straight and simple answers -> Cap'n goes for an inflammatory provocation and makes a fallacious statement -> Cap'n gets called on it -> Cap'n starts acting-out and playing victim, trying to defame the people he alleges are attacking him -> Cap'n swoons and cries, illiciting sympathy, when I call him out on his shit.

Note that I'm also not the first one to notice this pattern. See: Will's post.

In any case, I shrug. Whatever. It's not that big a deal anyway, as you point out, so I think I'll just refrain from speaking to or about the Cap'n from this point forward.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj, I've been here for

Nikolaj, I've been here for over a year and I have never acted this aggressive, and this isn't the first time Hamby has confronted me for being 'evasive' or 'unclear'. What's different this time is the psyc analysis.

In the boobs thread I told you that I get aggressive and people get frustrated when they try to probe me.  I wasn't kidding.

I'll try to be more clear and not take so much offense if somebody doesn't understand what I say or takes one of my jokes seriously. (Yes,I do actually make jokes sometimes.)

But if somebody tries to put me on the couch again, they're going to get a lamp across the face.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:I

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

I detect extreme sexual frustration, as I've been there myself. I keep thinking Pineapple would be explosive in bed !  Having fun with the idea anyhow .... Ever fight like hell and fuck even harder ?    

Thanks for the fantasy entertainment Pineapple .... you can slap me, go kitten .... just don't scratch please, as pain lingers ..... I know you can purr  

"What's New Pussycat?" Tom Jones   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXrT8tz5nCc

Puddle of Mudd - "She Fucking Hates Me"  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Vzw366UwM

"She Fricking Blocked Me"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOJUiZwfDaA&feature=related

U+Ur hand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DowvJ6h1WnM

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: But if

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

But if somebody tries to put me on the couch again, they're going to get a lamp across the face.

I sense you have some anger issues.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cool one Pineapple, love

Cool one Pineapple, love that Pink song ... I can't top that !

Shit, I am only a man .... well I try to be ....

Wild Thing - The Troggs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQDP49pVCMQ

Boys can't help it ....  You girls win !

Jimi Hendrix - Wild Thing (live)  Sacrifices Guitar for Girls !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-aoaXNYI0c

Stupid Girls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9n8QHCkPLA&NR=1

Stupid Boys .....

Victoria Beckham-Stupid Girl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql6d2QyQagI

The Rolling Stones - Under My Thumb (1966)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N037-T-gQB0

Go Pink, kick those boys  
We will never get along, until the girls are free .... 

I AM sorry ..... but entertained