The Dumbest Proof of God I Have Heard

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Dumbest Proof of God I Have Heard

In 1967, a large migration occurred from Kashmir to Bradford in England.  Among the migrants were a large number of people who had married close cousins.  Several of them were microcephalics -- they had small, but otherwise normal brains.  Because the family pedigrees were so well documented, scientists were able to pin down the exact gene and the exact mutations (four of them, to be precise) that caused the condition.  (If you're interested, it's the ASPM gene on chromosome 1.)  In recent years, with our advances in genetics, we've learned that this is a particularly large gene, 10,434 letters long, split into 28 paragraphs (exons).  Paragraphs 16 through 25 are basically just repeats of the same "sentence," which refers specifically to the amino acids isoleucine and glutamine.

The significance of this is that these amino acid repetitions apparently correlate directly to the number of neurons in the adult brain.  In humans, there are 74 repetitions.  The mouse has 61, the fruit fly 24, and the nematode worm only 2.  In layman's terms, this gene apparently directly influences how smart the creature will be.

Ok, are you ready for the dumbest proof for God's existence ever?  The standard abbreviation for isoleucine is "I" and the abbreviation for glutamine is "Q."  Put them together, and what do you get?  "IQ."  Intelligence quotient.  And this, apparently, is proof enough for some scientists that God himself arranged things this way just to humble us with his incredible sense of irony.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

PorkChop
Rational VIP!SuperfanSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Those folks must be a few

Those folks must be a few paragraphs short of a book!

entomophila
ScientistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
sweaters

Did they have any sweaters with 'em?

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
I.Q.

So did gawd create I.Q.?   What would her "gawd" I.Q. be?  I think gawd is listening and she isn't happy.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Dumb Scientist ?

Wow ! that's pretty dumb logic coming from so-called scientist . Who do they think labeled the names in our DNA code ?  

Signature ? How ?

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Inbreds

Hambydammit wrote:

In 1967, a large migration occurred from Kashmir to Bradford in England.  Among the migrants were a large number of people who had married close cousins.  Several of them were microcephalics -- they had small, but otherwise normal brains.   

Is this anything like the Hattfield's of Kentucky.  I just read some of their story, The Hattfield's and McCoy's.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL... I don't know if the

LOL... I don't know if the Hattfields or McCoys were microcephalics.  If there was a paper about it, I missed it.  Smiling

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:In layman's terms,

Quote:

In layman's terms, this gene apparently directly influences how smart the creature will be.

That's odd. I could have sworn that the IQ domains were a large repeated insertion not possessed by the mouse ortholog. (PS, for everyone who doesn't catch deadpan, when I say "that's odd" I mean "they're full of shit".)

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Heh.  I only read the

Heh.  I only read the writing and report back to the group.  I have no personal knowledge of the mouse ortholog.

Regardless of the accuracy, it's still a really dumb proof of god.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
For anyone interested, it's

For anyone interested, it's Bond, Roberts, Mochida, et al.  2002.  ASPM is a major determinant of cerebral cortical size.  Nature Genetics 32:316-20

Books about atheism

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Remember how I suggested

Remember how I suggested that people should read an actual study in its entirety? Here's your chance. Hey, it's also free online. That's actually pretty rare. Usually you have to subscribe:

http://hmg.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/15/12/2025

The full text is in PDF in a link. This takes you to the abstract.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
No paper

Hambydammit wrote:

LOL... I don't know if the Hattfields or McCoys were microcephalics.  If there was a paper about it, I missed it.  Smiling

There is only a bit of information about the two families at Wikipedia.  I understand that some of the members here don't like that source, but it is the only one that I am familiar with.  Anyways it is funny shit!!

They kind of remind me the TV show Ma & Pa Kettle.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The full text is in

Quote:
The full text is in PDF in a link. This takes you to the abstract.

Cool.  Thanks for the link!  Now I'm really curious about this, so I'm afraid I have to pick your brain.  The bit that I read seemed to indicate that the importance of ASPM was the number of iterations of the IQ "motif."  If I understand correctly, humans all have 74 iterations, and accordingly, we each have essentially the same number of neurons.  In other animals with orthologous sequences, the number of iterations of the motif is in proportion to the number of neurons.

Mice aside, am I just missing a big point here?  It seems to me that this study indicates that within humans (all of whom have 74 iterations) ASPM itself doesn't seem to correlate to relative brain size, but that seems to be almost beside the point.  If all the subjects have 74 iterations, we wouldn't expect their brain size to vary, since the whole point of the article I mentioned was that across species, the number of iterations of IQ seemed to correlate to number of neurons in the brain.

Thoughts?

[EDIT:  I should mention that this is the first time I've even heard of the link between ASPM and microcephalics, so I don't claim to know much about it.  My understanding is that there are four known mutations of ASPM that correlate to the condition, but I didn't get the indication that the mutation was a decrease in the iterations of IQ within that particular exon.]

Books about atheism

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks wrote:Hambydammit

Boon Docks wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

In 1967, a large migration occurred from Kashmir to Bradford in England.  Among the migrants were a large number of people who had married close cousins.  Several of them were microcephalics -- they had small, but otherwise normal brains.   

Is this anything like the Hattfield's of Kentucky.  I just read some of their story, The Hattfield's and McCoy's.

Ha ha, I'm actually related to those Hatfields. 

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:Ha ha, I'm

jmm wrote:

Waaaiiit a minute. I'm related to those McCoys!

Damnit, Jmm!

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:jmm

nigelTheBold wrote:

jmm wrote:

Damnit, Jmm!

*Takes out banjo*

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cuss-in's

jmm wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

jmm wrote:

Damnit, Jmm!

*Takes out banjo*

You can start singing  '" I'm my own  grandpa..."

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

shikko
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:jmm

nigelTheBold wrote:

jmm wrote:

Damnit, Jmm!

Is it wrong of me that I was disappointed you didn't follow this up with something like "I'm a DOCTOR, not a musketry target!"?

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Ok, are

Hambydammit wrote:
Ok, are you ready for the dumbest proof for God's existence ever?  The standard abbreviation for isoleucine is "I" and the abbreviation for glutamine is "Q."  Put them together, and what do you get?  "IQ."  Intelligence quotient.  And this, apparently, is proof enough for some scientists that God himself arranged things this way just to humble us with his incredible sense of irony.

It wasn't Acharaya S was it?  That's the kind of proof she generally uses?

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:Hambydammit

thingy wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

It wasn't Acharaya S was it?  That's the kind of proof she generally uses?

Hahhahahahahahah!!!!!  *breathes in* Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)