A little bit about me

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
A little bit about me

I'm a Texan with a Roman Catholic background, an interest in the Unitarian Universalist movement and a realization that religion for the most part is a scam. I am not a theist, despite this. I'm a woman in a heterosexual long term relationship who is looking for an online community I can accept and who'll accept me for who I am and what I'm about without prejudice.

this is just a short on me, I usually end up saying more in posts I make, once I find out how the majority is in any given forum.

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard Kay Cat

Good to have you, once again the estrogen ocean is growing!!  Yeah  

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kay Cat wrote:with an

Kay Cat wrote:

with an interest in the Unitarian Universalist movement

The what?

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Quietly

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Kay Cat wrote:

The what?

Slow down there turbo, don't make waves too fast.  Quiet while I sleep.

PorkChop
Rational VIP!SuperfanSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Consider yourself

Consider yourself accepted...welcome!

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums, Kay

Welcome to the forums, Kay Cat.  It's a great community and you won't have any problems being accepted here.  We only pick on theists with trollish behavior and those regurgitating the same old worn out arguments that have been proferred time and again.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

The more rational females on this site the better.  I have an R.C. background also (central Maine) even went to R.C. school. Somewhere around age 7 the priest asked me when I was going to become an alter boy; I couldn't think of why me or anyone else would want to bother. I've been an athiest since. 

I live near Toronto now (born Canadian, I just grew up in Maine) you'll find people from all over the world here, so enjoy and post. This post just got me my 1000th point.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmm... In all fairness,

Hmm... In all fairness, Cpt_Pineapple has taken her fair share of shit for her religious beliefs, but I think she'll attest that at least some of the time, we're relatively nice about it.

Basically, we consider it a mission to call irrationality by its name, so if somebody thinks you have a silly belief, they'll probably tell you about it.  Even so, this isn't a flame site, and we aren't into ad hominems.   I think if you look around, you'll see that people who come here with open minds and respect for others will receive exactly the same thing in return.

Glad to have you on board!

(Oh, and if I ever go on a unitarian rant, don't take it personally.  I do that from time to time.)

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! Pull up a chair and

Welcome! Pull up a chair and has a free coffee an pastry. =^_^=

BrainFromArous
BrainFromArous's picture
User is offlineOffline
You'll get along fine with

You'll get along fine with the UU until you begin a sentence with, "I believe that..."

Then you're out. Eye-wink

Boards don't hit back. (Bruce Lee)

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
[Initiate Tongue Biting

[Initiate Tongue Biting ON]

This is me not ranting about UU.

[Initiate Tongue Biting OFF]

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Welcome ! ! !

Texas is huge , do you have any Atheist in your area ?                                     

Signature ? How ?

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
good to see another girl on

good to see another girl on the forums!  welcome. Smiling

(and yeah, not so into uu myself either - nothing personal)

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle fo

Welcome to the hizzle fo shizzle!

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I skimmed through the UU

I skimmed through the UU wikipedia article.

I'd rather have Kay, explain it herself before I make a judgement, which would be more a sweeping generalization.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've found that no article

I've found that no article can prepare you for the live UU experience, which (for me, anyway) was sort of like watching a bunch of British aristocrats apologize their way through a Las Vegas Stripper's Convention.

Never in my life have I seen so many people bending double over backwards to make sure not to say anything remotely offensive to anyone.  It was... offensive to me.

Books about atheism

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
rather than cutting and

rather than cutting and pasting and adding quotes to one long post, I'll quote directly. Smiling

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks wrote:     

Boon Docks wrote:

Good to have you, once again the estrogen ocean is growing!!  Yeah  

It feels good to have a forum where women are validated. Thanks for the welcome Smiling

Vote for McCain... www.therealmccain.com ...and he'll bring Jesus back

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
You haven't met I AM GOD AS

You haven't met I AM GOD AS YOU yet.  I can pretty much guarantee he's going to offer to do more than validate you.

Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:I've found

Hambydammit wrote:

I've found that no article can prepare you for the live UU experience, which (for me, anyway) was sort of like watching a bunch of British aristocrats apologize their way through a Las Vegas Stripper's Convention.

Never in my life have I seen so many people bending double over backwards to make sure not to say anything remotely offensive to anyone.  It was... offensive to me.

You''re the music buff. Did a certain R.E.M song come to mind?

No offence to Kay.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Girls Girls Girls !!!

Girls Girls Girls !!! Welcome Kay .... Cool Thomas Jefferson and his, identified themselves as Deists and Unitarians, and as Jesus fans, while against Paul's christain dogma.  .... Lots on line, as you would seem to know.

... basically non dogmatic , and I think close to pantheism, regarding the nature of consciousness. ( which instead makes me atheist)

Google, "Thomas Jefferson Unitarian" 

http://www.adherents.com/people/pj/Thomas_Jefferson.html

Do you have some fav sites or essays to share Kay ?

http://www.religioustolerance.org/u-u.htm

Overview:

"Unitarianism Universalism is an unusual religious organization. Unlike most religions in North America, it does not require its adherents to adhere to a specific set of beliefs. Its membership includes individuals who identify themselves as Agnostics, Atheists, Buddhists, Christians, Humanists, Wiccans, or  other religious tradition. Many inter-faith couples find it to be a comfortable religious home. UUs view the main function of the congregation as facilitating the spiritual quest of its members". ///// 

I am an atheist story jesus and buddha fan .... and so I rip into them religious idol worshipers ... as jesus and buddha  egg me on ! ....   Jesus, the jewish buddha story one , was a bad ass !

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Kay Cat

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Kay Cat wrote:

The what?

lol, just check out this site: www.uua.org  Basically, I'm interested in this because it accepts other beliefs and doesn't push people to believe one way. I also like the fact it has outreach services for people that don't force one to convert to get assistance like Dubya's faith based initiative programs do.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks

Boon Docks wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Kay Cat wrote:

The what?

Slow down there turbo, don't make waves too fast.  Quiet while I sleep.

sleep away

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
PorkChop wrote:Consider

PorkChop wrote:

Consider yourself accepted...welcome!

I will, thank you Smiling

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bulldog wrote:Welcome to the

Bulldog wrote:

Welcome to the forums, Kay Cat.  It's a great community and you won't have any problems being accepted here.  We only pick on theists with trollish behavior and those regurgitating the same old worn out arguments that have been proferred time and again.

I have met only a pitiful few theists that don't do what you so aptly described.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've never been a huge REM

I've never been a huge REM fan, so I can't say that I thought of anything in particular.  Sorry.

Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I've

Hambydammit wrote:

I've never been a huge REM fan, so I can't say that I thought of anything in particular.  Sorry.

Shiny Happy People??

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL... yeah, now that you

LOL... yeah, now that you mention it, that does sort of remind me of UUs.  Good call.

Apropos of nothing, I have a good friend who babysits for REM's lawyer.  Nice work if you can get it.  That dude has a wine cellar with probably a million dollars of wine in it.

Books about atheism

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:     The

Jeffrick wrote:

The more rational females on this site the better.  I have an R.C. background also (central Maine) even went to R.C. school. Somewhere around age 7 the priest asked me when I was going to become an alter boy; I couldn't think of why me or anyone else would want to bother. I've been an athiest since. 

I live near Toronto now (born Canadian, I just grew up in Maine) you'll find people from all over the world here, so enjoy and post. This post just got me my 1000th point.

glad to meet a former R.C. that smartly left when he was ahead. I'm of the personal view that celibacy is a crime against nature, except in cases of true sexual deviants (you all know, the ones that talk about "free will" and then not give their victims that vaunted right).

congrats on this being your 1000th point! Smiling

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Hmm... In

Hambydammit wrote:

Hmm... In all fairness, Cpt_Pineapple has taken her fair share of shit for her religious beliefs, but I think she'll attest that at least some of the time, we're relatively nice about it.

Basically, we consider it a mission to call irrationality by its name, so if somebody thinks you have a silly belief, they'll probably tell you about it.  Even so, this isn't a flame site, and we aren't into ad hominems.   I think if you look around, you'll see that people who come here with open minds and respect for others will receive exactly the same thing in return.

Glad to have you on board!

(Oh, and if I ever go on a unitarian rant, don't take it personally.  I do that from time to time.)

No worries about ranting; I personally appreciate constructive criticism. It's pointless personal attacks I take exception to and get pissed off about.

I am glad to be on board Smiling

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Welcome!

JillSwift wrote:

Welcome! Pull up a chair and has a free coffee an pastry. =^_^=

I'll stick with the coffee, thanx Smiling and thanks for the welcome.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
BrainFromArous wrote:You'll

BrainFromArous wrote:

You'll get along fine with the UU until you begin a sentence with, "I believe that..."

Then you're out. Eye-wink

seeing as how most dictionaries define belief as being unsubstantiated ideas in one way or another, I usually try to not use that word when saying what I think and substitute opinion instead.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Do you have a clearer pic?

Do you have a clearer pic? You look like a cutie.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:[Initiate

Hambydammit wrote:

[Initiate Tongue Biting ON]

This is me not ranting about UU.

[Initiate Tongue Biting OFF]

gotcha. Again, I don't mind constructive criticism or ranting. The more I know, the more I'm able to determine which way I should go, instead of following blindly while someone is piping me towards a cliff (I collect tarot decks for their artistic qualities, not to mention to irritate my fundie relatives)

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Do you

MattShizzle wrote:

Do you have a clearer pic? You look like a cutie.

it's an older Second Life avatar of mine. The only resemblance is in the hair and the eyeglasses.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote: Texas is huge

Ken G. wrote:

Texas is huge , do you have any Atheist in your area ?                                     

I'll go into slight detail and leave it up to you to determine, as I don't know for sure. I live in the 13th Representative District, which has Mac Thornberry as the U.S. Representative. AFAIK, it's the reddest portion of the state.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:good to

shelleymtjoy wrote:

good to see another girl on the forums!  welcome. Smiling

(and yeah, not so into uu myself either - nothing personal)

thank you. To each their own. I'm interested in it, but don't know much about it from an inside perspective, so the more people who give me their perspectives, the better equipped I am to decide if I should look into it or not bother with it.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Welcome to

MattShizzle wrote:

Only fraudulence, suspension of critical thinking and criminal behavior irritate me more than ebonics and warped language.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok... so here goes.  Every

Ok... so here goes.  Every UU I've had any contact with has been extremely deferential about their beliefs, to the point of absurdity.  Without exaggerating very much, the creed of most of them has been something like:

"I may or may not believe in something that may or may not exist and may or may not have always existed, and might, according to some people, possibly be referred to as god, or maybe universal consciousness, or universal spirit, or maybe just Karma, or maybe something that we haven't heard of, and maybe it does something in the universe, or maybe not, but I like pot luck suppers."

No kidding.  I really think UU is a place for people who just don't want to admit that they don't believe in god to go to church.  They're mortified of the idea of stepping on other people's religious beliefs, and they really, genuinely believe that belief in something spiritual is a good idea -- maybe more important than the actual existence of what is being believed.

If you read much of my writing, you'll see that not only do I think it's ok to be vocal about absurd beliefs, I think it's a kind thing to do.  So, you can understand why I would find the UUs revoltingly passive.

Books about atheism

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:Girls

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Girls Girls Girls !!! Welcome Kay .... Cool Thomas Jefferson and his, identified themselves as Deists and Unitarians, and as Jesus fans, while against Paul's christain dogma.  .... Lots on line, as you would seem to know.

... basically non dogmatic , and I think close to pantheism, regarding the nature of consciousness. ( which instead makes me atheist)

Google, "Thomas Jefferson Unitarian" 

http://www.adherents.com/people/pj/Thomas_Jefferson.html

Do you have some fav sites or essays to share Kay ?

http://www.religioustolerance.org/u-u.htm

Overview:

"Unitarianism Universalism is an unusual religious organization. Unlike most religions in North America, it does not require its adherents to adhere to a specific set of beliefs. Its membership includes individuals who identify themselves as Agnostics, Atheists, Buddhists, Christians, Humanists, Wiccans, or  other religious tradition. Many inter-faith couples find it to be a comfortable religious home. UUs view the main function of the congregation as facilitating the spiritual quest of its members". ///// 

I am an atheist story jesus and buddha fan .... and so I rip into them religious idol worshipers ... as jesus and buddha  egg me on ! ....   Jesus, a jewish buddha , was a bad ass !

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/   http://www.evilbible.com/   http://www.ffrf.org/  http://www.godvsthebible.com/  Some time back John Armstrong of that last site made a youtube response to your heresy challenge, which is what clued me on to this site. It took me some time before I had a chance to look it up. btw, I like how you used christain in reference to Paul's drivel.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Ok... so

Hambydammit wrote:

Ok... so here goes.  Every UU I've had any contact with has been extremely deferential about their beliefs, to the point of absurdity.  Without exaggerating very much, the creed of most of them has been something like:

"I may or may not believe in something that may or may not exist and may or may not have always existed, and might, according to some people, possibly be referred to as god, or maybe universal consciousness, or universal spirit, or maybe just Karma, or maybe something that we haven't heard of, and maybe it does something in the universe, or maybe not, but I like pot luck suppers."

No kidding.  I really think UU is a place for people who just don't want to admit that they don't believe in god to go to church.  They're mortified of the idea of stepping on other people's religious beliefs, and they really, genuinely believe that belief in something spiritual is a good idea -- maybe more important than the actual existence of what is being believed.

If you read much of my writing, you'll see that not only do I think it's ok to be vocal about absurd beliefs, I think it's a kind thing to do.  So, you can understand why I would find the UUs revoltingly passive.

thanks for your point of view. Seeing as how I'm in a red portion of Texas, where there's an average of 1 christain church for every 25 people statistically, I wouldn't have known this, as the UUA isn't closer than half a day's drive in any direction.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I skimmed through that site.

While noble goals, I can tell you right now. I wouldn't fit in.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:I

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I have no problem with that. I just said I was interested in it, which I am.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kay Cat wrote:Cpt_pineapple

Kay Cat wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

All right then, why are you interested? What attracts you to it?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Kay Cat wrote:MattShizzle

Kay Cat wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

Only fraudulence, suspension of critical thinking and criminal behavior irritate me more than ebonics and warped language.

You do realize that making a pimp mad is generally a bad idea? When a pimp gets mad bitches tend to get slapped.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Kay Cat

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Kay Cat wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

All right then, why are you interested? What attracts you to it?

good questions. Smiling

As I percieve things, we humans live in systems, and for the most part, those systems were made to organize us instead of living in anarchy. Along the way those systems became corrupted, but anyone outside of the major ones didn't have much of a chance to change them. I see UUA as a system within the system of the U.S. It is my opinion that if I were to join into the UUA, I could use it in a positive way to help change the U.S.A. system for the betterment of more people than I could working outside the system.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:You do realize that

Quote:
You do realize that making a pimp mad is generally a bad idea? When a pimp gets mad bitches tend to get slapped.

~sigh~

And you wonder why you don't get laid.  Seriously, dude.  Be nice.

Books about atheism

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Kay Cat

MattShizzle wrote:

Kay Cat wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

grow up, dude. playing games like that is something only hormonal adolescents and individuals with arrested development do.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:As I percieve things,

Quote:
As I percieve things, we humans live in systems, and for the most part, those systems were made to organize us instead of living in anarchy. Along the way those systems became corrupted, but anyone outside of the major ones didn't have much of a chance to change them. I see UUA as a system within the system of the U.S. It is my opinion that if I were to join into the UUA, I could use it in a positive way to help change the U.S.A. system for the betterment of more people than I could working outside the system.

I don't know if you're much of a reader, but there are a couple of books I think you should read before you commit too hard to your idea of what human systems are and why they exist.

Human Instincts and the Evolution of Cooperation  

The Origins of Virtue: Human Instincts and the Evolution of Cooperation by Matt Ridley (Paperback - April 1, 1998)

The New Science of Evolutionary Psychology  

The Moral Animal: Why We Are, the Way We Are: The New Science of Evolutionary Psychology by Robert Wright

In a nutshell, the recently developed ability to run complicated computer models has enabled us to test a lot of basic strategies for organisms in systems.  It has shed a lot of light on how we came to be moral creatures, and in particular, why and how we form societies.  I think you'd find these books pretty fascinating.

Books about atheism

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:As I

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

I don't know if you're much of a reader, but there are a couple of books I think you should read before you commit too hard to your idea of what human systems are and why they exist.

Human Instincts and the Evolution of Cooperation  

The Origins of Virtue: Human Instincts and the Evolution of Cooperation by Matt Ridley (Paperback - April 1, 1998)

The New Science of Evolutionary Psychology  

The Moral Animal: Why We Are, the Way We Are: The New Science of Evolutionary Psychology by Robert Wright

In a nutshell, the recently developed ability to run complicated computer models has enabled us to test a lot of basic strategies for organisms in systems.  It has shed a lot of light on how we came to be moral creatures, and in particular, why and how we form societies.  I think you'd find these books pretty fascinating.

thanks for the suggestions Smiling As a generalization of myself I don't always trust my perceptions because I could possibly be wrong in making them. I have a tendancy to not commit to anything until I'm convinced it's right for me. I've lost a lot of opportunities doing that, but I think it's better to miss opportunities than do something in haste then regret it later. Again, thanks. I appreciate the fact you're giving me suggestions rather than telling me to believe what you're telling me because you're the one telling me. I've had more than my share of that, as you could imagine.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Heh.  Oddly, even though

Heh.  Oddly, even though this is my typical M.O. I still get blasted by theists all the time for "telling them what to believe."  A lot of people equate the presentation of an idea with force feeding an idea.  Personally, I think all the evidence points to the conclusion that people can't decide what to believe anyway.  We can only believe when there's enough reasons for us to do so.  I'm not usually presumptuous enough to believe myself enough of an authority to sway someone's opinion.

Books about atheism