Do religions serve a purpose?

bodhi smith
User is offlineOffline
Do religions serve a purpose?

Imagine all those people, simple as they may be, without something to be afraid of and comforted by. I'm thinking something along the line of the "yahoo's " in "Gulliver's travels" by Jonathan Swift. It is a pretty useful control mechanism.

By the way, am I the only person who is entertained by the existence of the web site of the same name "Yahoo"

Rev0lver
User is offlineOffline
it's true religions help

it's true religions help comfort people, which i find unfortunate, because real comfort is more effective than false comfort.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
science only

I'd say NO.  Try to imagine all the religious scholors who have existed throughout history, what would their energetic brains do without religion? A great deal of scientific research no doubt, all to the benifit of the human race.   We would all be so much better off without religion.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
But we could never have been

But we could never have been without religion, at least that is what the history of humanity would suggest.

Religion, to people with a very sketchy understanding of their environment and lacking the communications and broad social cohesion to develop that understanding, played a rather important role in that it purported to provide reassurance of a sort - if not that it held all the answers (though it often claimed to) then at least in that it recognised the questions. Mixed into that were rudimentary codes which we would now associate with secular law and constitutional ethics, and which addressed the more mundane but vital regulations basic societies required to function optimally. It served, in the absence of any properly developed form of consensus, as a validator for society's requirement to self-regulate. It therefore provided as part of the package not only the moral, ethical and behavioural codes but the "authority" to back up their implementation.

It was, to put it simply, a rudimentary form of politics, and the history of the human race in recent centuries has seen it shift only slightly from this role. In an organisational sense it tends nowadays to co-exist with political structure but has an equal tendency to attempt to control that structure when at all possible.

Today it is an anachronism. Its role as validator is no longer required where true consensual political structures exist, and ease of communication of ideas and dialogue has destroyed its other function, that of a repository for what society knew, presumed or invented as a means of comprehending life and the environment that sustains it.

But it doesn't take much examination to see that societies, even so-called "developed" societies, still retain a sufficient percentage of individuals who, for various reasons, are excluded from either or both of the mechanisms that should long ago have rendered religion completely meaningless - political decision making and the pursuit of knowledge. In some societies, such as many islamic countries, religion still in fact plays a central role in the running of people's lives and actively blocks - or more crucially, subverts - access to both these processes. In "western" societies the effect is more subtle but almost equally effective as religion - at least in its more fundamentalist format - encourages people to block themselves from the processes. Essentially therefore its methodology is the same the world over - it insinuates itself between the individual and the means that individual should have at his or her disposal to dispel it by attempting (often successfully) to control the educational system and values that pertain, and to inordinately and negatively influence the individual's ability to think rationally and freely, two essential requirements for consensual politics to function effectively.

So the answer unfortunately is yes, religion does serve a purpose today. Its purpose is largely a self-preservational one and involves hoodwinking a sufficient mass of people into accepting its outdated and inferior assessment of what is real. In that way it not only survives but retains enough political clout to assert its fallacies as equal or superior to scientifically deduced fact, and its role as moral arbitrator as equal or superior to that arrived at consensually by society itself. It champions ignorance on behalf of the ignorant and works hard at ensuring such levels of ignorance exist as to guarantee it can continue doing so.

On a cheerier note, history also suggests that the need for religion diminishes drastically when high levels of education and political representation can be maintained. It thrives on political instability (and just about anything else that induces fear in populations) but, like the smokescreen that it is, disappears rather quickly once a society manages to eliminate the threat to its secular and educational development. If someone is seriously concerned with removing superstition posing as moral authority from within the political sphere then the first line of attack has to be the promotion of education, and the second the extrication of non-consensual influences from politics.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Have you noticed that

Have you noticed that societies without pervasive religious institutions still find ways to control their populations?  People without religion still find their own comfort in tragedy.

I think the argument that religion serves a purpose tries to create a false dichotomy, when the reality is that people can get everything religion provides without religion, and in pretty much every case, religion is not as good as the other methods.  The only exception I can think of is blind religious devotion to otherwise morally unconscionable atrocity.  Religion is good at fostering that.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
God and Religion don't mix

God and Religion don't mix  ..... try science, the study of god. Religion is just dogma .... and only useful as "seeing" so ....

So say some more you dogmists idol worshipers .... so that I may make mockery of you ..... , me god     

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Have you noticed that

Quote:

Have you noticed that societies without pervasive religious institutions still find ways to control their populations?  People without religion still find their own comfort in tragedy.

"Control" is a loaded term, but a huge similarity in purpose and style can be seen between societies heavily controlled by religious "authorities" and those controlled by political authorities heavily influenced by a restrictive ideology. Both tend to inflict values down from the top instead of waiting to see what values trickle from the bottom up, and in doing so have to employ rather extreme tactics.

The trick that the christian church (and to a lesser extent islam) has performed in order to salvage at least part of the ability it once enjoyed to overtly exercise this function is to reinvent itself as an adjunct to the political system in appearance while still, in all its denominational guises, working to overtake and administer the internal processes of that system. In retreating from its once more overtly visible political role it has revealed itself to be what in reality it can always ever only be - a parasite dedicated to its own survival and using subterfuge and lies to achieve that end. Its leaders are aware of this - as their defences of their stance often reveals - but consider it a price worth paying for retention of power.

One of the tricks it still employs however, and which its revised position in society has in fact intensified rather than diminished, is to have hijacked perfectly normal social practises, morals and modes of thought, and then claimed credit for their existence, preservation and enforcement - when in actual fact many of them require no enforcement at all and those that do are better enforced throughs secular law. It is just another manifestation of religion's ability to sell back to its subscribers that which they already owned. It does not take long for members of a de-religionised society to realise this, and if that society is not simply inflicted with another form of dogma such as in the old Soviet Union, it tends to remain inured to religious influence for at least as long as the consensual political system flourishes.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
 To this day religion still

To this day religion still holds value and relevancy because the masses understanding of our world and indeed the universe is both limited and purposefully ignored. This is not to the liking of those of us who envision a society based upon rationality, reason and science but it doesn't change the facts of the current situation nor does it help the atheist cause when atheists themselves believe the battle is already mostly won. It isn't.

I would venture to say that we might never have 'been' without religion. Faith in a god has been like little temporary cabinet screws, holding society together until such time as the wood glue dries. Certainly some of the glue has dried but in many parts of our world people are either waiting for the drying process,  have the glue but aren't using it or are afraid to use it.

History does paint religion in the role of running day to day activities for people who otherwise would feel lost and to a great degree, it still does in our time.

Yet, neither political decision making nor the pursuit of knowledge will obliterate the force of faith because the belief system(s) all involve something many, if not most humans, desperately desire even when confronted by reason, facts and knowledge.... that of course is the promise of eternal life.

Those of us who are grounded in science and logic, I'm afraid, are often to quick to dismiss this as a validator yet the promise persists. It's a fact that church attendance numbers are dwindling but the fundies and fanaticals in free societies are able to make new inroads in the most unlikely places.

I think there will come a day when religion will essentially find itself eliminated. And while education must be the key, preventing the avenues of brainwashing, at least in terms of a joyous eternity, must be stopped somehow. I'm not certain education alone can do this. Additionally, the memes themselves must be vanquished from carriers who will find quiet rocks to hide under and spread the "good news".... the news of salvation and eternity.

None of this will make for a simple battle or battle plan. With the exponential growth of technology and incredible advances in communication, perhaps it is easier for we atheists to believe the end of faith is closer than it actually is.  There is indeed much work to be done.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Organized religion is a

Organized religion is a drug. But it's a shitty drug, addiction to it must be created from childhood and can be easily surpassed by any normal, chemical drug. This is why religions are against drugs, they're competitors.

Religion was once what is science today, but since then it got organized and used as a tool to control masses, besides other such tools. In this sense, organized religion is entirely secular, and blasphemous misuse of power.
This is why we should have a separation of Church and state, Church belongs to spiritual realms like Heaven, not to parliament, senate, or, God help us all, White House.  Wanting a religion to have also a secular power (so it's all right in Heaven and Earth too) is like the attitude of wanting to be proverbially more Popish than Pope. But this simile sucks, because a Popes were rulers and warlords just like any other emperor or king...
A 12 years old pope had a personal harem ('fraucimor'), can you imagine that??? I hope I misread that sentence in a historical documentary book.

I personally don't see any other way than these organizations will be shut down from within. Someone has to sit into a Pope's chair and switch down the right levers on secret Vatican's control panel. The poor guy will be probably demonized for that by fundies, for taking their opium away, there will be surely a renegade fundy communities, surviving for decades after a reform of Christianity, but a new generation or two of children who never saw a Pope, will make them dissolve in society.
The prophecy of St. Malachy seems to be correct in most of cases (all I know about, I'm just careful with statements) and I hope it will be so in case of the pope after Papa Ratzi, that would make this dream come true. Peter the Roman, we're expecting you!

Uhm...but what to do with non-roman catholic Christians in USA? They probably don't care about Vatican. I'm not sure if they would let themselves be reformed even if Jesus himself would sit in Rome.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Jello
User is offlineOffline
I think religion is awesome

I think religion is awesome and there needs to be more of it. Praise the Lord!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Luminon- Do you believe in

Luminon-

Do you believe in bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster? Do you believe in alien abduction? Do you believe the Ty-D-Bowl man has gone insane since not being in commercials anymore and is living in your toilet trying to kill you?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jello wrote:I think religion

Jello wrote:

I think religion is awesome and there needs to be more of it. Praise the Lord!

You're such a shitty liar. Unless you were talking about some form of weed called "Religion". I'm pretty sure I've had that weed, and it's AWESOME.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Do you

MattShizzle wrote:

Do you believe in bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster? Do you believe in alien abduction? Do you believe the Ty-D-Bowl man has gone insane since not being in commercials anymore and is living in your toilet trying to kill you?

Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster belief - on this I'm agnostic. I can't know. I haven't seen any. The rumors and possibilities are so versatile, that I can't even decide what I can't know.

Alien abductions belief - nope, I don't believe in that. On the other side, I also don't believe that aliens are emotional, all-loving, effeminate (as for their men) retards, as portrayed by the crazy 'Space People' cult. What I'm most sure about, is that they have a flying space crafts, because I once watched a group of them for so long, that I got bored and went away.

Ty-D-Bowl man belief - who's that??   Nope, I never heard about him, so I don't believe.
Now that I know, if my toilet would be suddenly unnaturally tidy, I'd consider his existence, and maybe leave some money behind, but it's Europe here, most of people around would think (according to his name) that he has something to do with bowling.
Ty-D-Bowl man according to Wikipedia was played by Mark Matheisen, Fred Miltonberg, and Larry Sprinkle. Google reveals even more of this horror. That must have been an awful job for a man...and certainly a relief when it ended, so I wouldn't expect murderous intentions.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
I believe Richard Dawkins

I believe Richard Dawkins opinion which makes a sort of sense is religion is a by product of other behavior that is useful but  religion itself  not useful in itself.

One possability tgat He suggests is  'obeying your parents' in most cases when you are a child is a useful evoluntairy trait which will generally keep you alive while you are very vulnerable however as a child you can't differentiate between don't go swim in the lake with the crocodile and sacrifice a goat each 4 th friday to ensure it rains for the coming harvest.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Indeed, mrjonno .... the

Indeed, mrjonno .... the innocent kids are my greatest teachers ....

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Bigfoot and

Luminon wrote:
Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster belief - on this I'm agnostic. I can't know. I haven't seen any. The rumors and possibilities are so versatile, that I can't even decide what I can't know.

Alien abductions belief - nope, I don't believe in that. On the other side, I also don't believe that aliens are emotional, all-loving, effeminate (as for their men) retards, as portrayed by the crazy 'Space People' cult. What I'm most sure about, is that they have a flying space crafts, because I once watched a group of them for so long, that I got bored and went away.

Ty-D-Bowl man belief - who's that??   Nope, I never heard about him, so I don't believe.
Now that I know, if my toilet would be suddenly unnaturally tidy, I'd consider his existence, and maybe leave some money behind, but it's Europe here, most of people around would think (according to his name) that he has something to do with bowling.
Ty-D-Bowl man according to Wikipedia was played by Mark Matheisen, Fred Miltonberg, and Larry Sprinkle. Google reveals even more of this horror. That must have been an awful job for a man...and certainly a relief when it ended, so I wouldn't expect murderous intentions.

Wow.  Just, wow.  I never thought I'd see the day where Luminon DIDN'T believe in something.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
By the way, the Ty-D-Bowl

By the way, the Ty-D-Bowl man was just an actor on a set for commercials. He wasn't actually a tiny man who lived on a boat inside someone's toilet.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wasting Time

bodhi smith wrote:

Imagine all those people, simple as they may be, without something to be afraid of and comforted by. I'm thinking something along the line of the "yahoo's " in "Gulliver's travels" by Jonathan Swift.

Thus far, religion has been one big stumbling block in the progress of humanity. Theism in general came about by cave men coming up with silly answers to questions they didn't know the answer to. Sense then, religious ideals have steered us away from thinking reasonably under pain of wrath from an unseen super power.

Religious institutions did not invent morality, community, love, compassion etc. All of these things were alive and well before we convinced ourselves that they weren't.

bodhi smith wrote:
 It is a pretty useful control mechanism.

True. Pointing a sharp stick in the face of someones child is also a good motivator. We should be mindful about complimenting an idea set whos claim to fame is being the single biggest retardant to common sense ever concieved.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Clarification

[Note: When I say "religion" I almost always am referring to the Monotheist beliefs. The eastern religions are a different matter entirely and I do not generally lump them together in this kind of discussion]

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish     The West

marcusfish

The West meeting the East !

The late Alan Watts had some words about that !  He's popular on the internet and in Youtube .... I like that guy .... a cool teacher communicator ....