Australia Court Throws Out 'Annoyance' Laws

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
Australia Court Throws Out 'Annoyance' Laws

To all you Aussie's here, you are now allowed to protest as you normally would or, as the article says, "hand condoms to World Youth Day pilgrims." from the article:

Quote:

Australia Court Throws Out Laws to Limit 'Annoyance'

15 July 2008

A federal court has thrown out laws banning protestors from causing "annoyance" to people taking part in the Roman Catholic church's youth festival in Australia.  Critics say the laws were too severe and unnecessary.  From Sydney, Phil Mercer reports.

Australia's federal court was asked to rule on special regulations that banned behavior that caused annoyance or inconvenience to participants of World Youth Day. Those found guilty could have been fined up to $5,300.

The new laws were brought in recently by the New South Wales state leader Morris Iemma, in an attempt to limit protests against the pope's visit during the festival.  The state government passed them without discussion or debate.

NoToPope coalition members wear t-shirts to protest Pope Benedict XVI's visit to Sydney, 09 Jul 2008
NoToPope coalition members wear t-shirts to protest Pope Benedict XVI's visit to Sydney, 09 Jul 2008
Members of the NoToPope Coalition, which opposes the pontiff's stance on birth control and homosexuality, say the legislation was unconstitutional and took their complaints to the federal court.

Three judges ruled that the regulations limited freedom of speech and were invalid under Australia's constitution.  The state government will not appeal the decision.

The court said the laws were designed to encourage public safety but decided they could be misused to infringe on human rights.

Pip Hinman from the NoToPope Coalition says that similar laws imposed for last year's Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Sydney were unnecessary. Hinman thinks the so-called annoyance regulations should never have been introduced.

"Civil rights advocates, you know, people from across the political spectrum think that this Iemma government has gone way too far again, hasn't learned from APEC and just simply [is] out of touch with reality and showing up a huge arrogance," said Hinman.  "So, I think on the basis of what they've just done a lot of people will come to the protest."    

Protestors are planning a large anti-pope rally in Sydney on Saturday, when they'll attempt to hand condoms to World Youth Day pilgrims.

Pope Benedict is in Sydney for the international Roman Catholic festival, which officials say has attracted more than 200 thousand pilgrims from around the world.

The event began officially Tuesday.  Benedict begins his participation on Thursday, when he tours Sydney Harbor and delivers a major speech. The festival culminates with a papal Mass at Sydney's Randwick race course on Sunday.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good for them! What these PC

Good for them!

What these PC people don't understand is that the law cuts both ways and for example, if Richard Dawkins spoke in that same area, Catholics may want to "annoy" the atheists. So if they want that right they must allow others the same, otherwise the government could end up silencing everyone.

Laws exist that are generic that take care of unrulely people WITHOUT silencing them. Neutral laws like tresspassing, desturbing the peace, impeding others forward motion, noise violations, all apply to everyone without telling those involved what they can or cannot say and apply equally.

When government gets involved in deciding what is or is not "annoying" or "offensive" it can put free speech into the hands of bias people who may or may not be on your side on any given issue. YOU may not be the one in power making those laws, being that judge, being that jury or being that lawmaker. Since that potential is there leave free speech up to the individual with the understanding that no matter what is said, no one has the right to advocate harm or commit an act of harm on another.

Common law, not politically correct censorship, is the way to say what you want and still keep the peace. Leaving speech in the hands of politicians, is long term, a recipe for disaster for the free speech of all.

It is nice to see that there are still some in this world that understand that to protect  your own freedom, you have to protect even that speech you may despise.

Mr. Spence, Mr. Bob, Kudos to your country and may Europe, America and Canada take a lesson from the wise.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
In the area

Are you allowed to gather anywhere in the city limits of Sydney, or is there a complete ban everywhere throughout the country ?  Maybe just 6 blocks or so away wouldn't be breaking any laws.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks wrote:   Are

Boon Docks wrote:

Are you allowed to gather anywhere in the city limits of Sydney, or is there a complete ban everywhere throughout the country ?  Maybe just 6 blocks or so away wouldn't be breaking any laws.

I hate laws like that. If any given area meets physical safty and capacity for a legal permit it shouldn't matter how close it is. Things like that done are done to filter out dissent.

What the would be the point of protesting the Pope or a Catholic protesting Dawkins if they are outside of earshot and sight?

I went to TWO pro choice marches in Washington, and the pro life people were behind the ropes, BUT less than two feet away from the pro choice people marching. No one threw any fists and no one got hurt. Lots of words to say the least, but both respected the law.

IF we as a society cannot speak freely even in that close proximity, we might as well bring back segregation. We might as well section off all the counties in all the states for all the different beliefs in America and never leave the counties of the like minded people we agree with and tribalisticly "stick to our own kind".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
HAHA! Suck it up Iemma ya

HAHA! Suck it up Iemma ya big tool!

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks wrote:   Are

Boon Docks wrote:

I actually had a previous post on the topic when they were introduced, look up a thread on sydney becoming a theocracy.

The laws, when they were illegally in effect, only affected places where WYD events were happening so this meant the CBD, Darling Harbour, the Harbour Bridge and surrounds, and Randwick where the final church service is taking place.  It also covered places that had been converted for ignoramuses (read: pilgrims) to stay such as numerous schools etc.

On a side note, there is one thing that is surprising me about this whole event in a positive way.  One of my biggest pet peeves is common courtesy, that includes small things like walking down the correct side of the sidewalk.  When I was brought up, I was taught by numerous teachers that you keep to the same side of the sidewalk that people in that country drive on, so here in Australia you keep to the left of the footpath.  Every day I' have idiots not only on the wrong side but going against the flow and insisting on staying there slowing themselves and everyone else around them down.  All these fictional character lovers, they're actually staying on the correct side of the footpath!  I've never seen such a large percentage of the people in the CBD actually doing something that makes life easier for everyone.

That said, their running around chanting, yelling and acting like yobbo's/hooligans (and while sober too?  How do they do it?) is still bloody annoying.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
They are able to do it by

They are able to do it by going to every single church in your city and participating in all of those communions which thus means that they arent sober...;p