Having "Gay-dar"

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Having "Gay-dar"

You may have heard the term "Gay-dar" it basically means that you can tell if somebody's gay or not.

So is it easy to tell if somebody's gay? Is it easier with males or females?

I personally think it's harder to tell if a female's gay. In the recent Kelly banner topic other females complimented her on her looks and I doubt those people are gay. But I bet if a guy came here talking about Rook or Sapient, than they would assumed to be gay. 

I'm straight BTW.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:You may

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

You may have heard the term "Gay-dar" it basically means that you can tell if somebody's gay or not.

I have heard of this. It's total crap. I'm actually having a ridiculously hard time coming out to my friends. They just won't take my word for it. I'm going to have to french kiss my boyfriend right in front of them.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

So is it easy to tell if somebody's gay?

Nope.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
Is it easier with males or females?

I personally think it's harder to tell if a female's gay.

Nah, same thing, imo.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
In the recent Kelly banner topic other females complimented her on her looks and I doubt those people are gay. But I bet if a guy came here talking about Rook or Sapient, than they would assumed to be gay.

True. Guys are known to have sex on the brain 24/7, so complimenting each other on their looks is always going to seem a little weird.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I'm straight BTW.

So what's it like ?

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse

Anonymouse wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I'm straight BTW.

So what's it like ?

Just like being gay -- lots of high-school drama, not enough sex, your S.O. always misinterpreting your intentions (which is sex), and so on.

Oh, and for the record: Rook is hot.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry, that one is old.I

Sorry, that one is old.

I first  heard the word gay-dar back in 2002.

Co-workers brother is gay and he used the word.

Heard it at least several dozen times since.

I'm only good at telling if someone gay if their mannerisms belie heterosexuality.

Even then, I'm not 100% accurate.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
There are three

1) They come out and tell you.

2) You see them fucking/kissing passionately someone of the same sex (and not a drunking college thing either)

3) They live in a gay neighborhood and have had only roomates of the same sex, more specifically they refer to their significate other as their "partner" but never as their Boyfriend/Girlfriend in front of other people outside their close friends.

That's it, you can never tell if a guy is being just more femine or just a metrosexual (in other words they like to be well dressed and groomed), and I know a few body builders that are gay, as for the females I never know personally.

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Easy if a woman doesnt fancy

Easy if a woman doesnt fancy me she is obviously a lesbian. Which is of course her right but a sad loss as she won't be able to be seduced by me Sad

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:I have

Anonymouse wrote:

I have heard of this. It's total crap. I'm actually having a ridiculously hard time coming out to my friends. They just won't take my word for it. I'm going to have to french kiss my boyfriend right in front of them.

Start decorating your bedroom, or blast N'SYNC music.

But seriously why are they having a hard time?

Also do you have any relatives that are also gay?

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
My 'gay-dar' is perfect. 

My 'gay-dar' is perfect.  Never been wrong before.  However, I can't be wrong if the person I think is gay is also drunk... don't think too much about the implications of that.

Anyhow, it's fairly bogus.  I suppose some people can read others better.

Oh, Rook is hot.  And I rather think that Kevin is too... really hot, actually.  Don't tell them though -they might think I'm gay. Eye-wink

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin???

Kevin???

He's.....err...um.......  nevermind.

edit

(no offense Kev..)

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Who's hot

My 22 year daughter would probably think that Rook and a few others here are hot.  My own ability to pick out a gay guy is not that great.  I have worked with a couple in the past and they were so much fun, just like one of the girls.  They are great people, I'm just sad knowing that they would never date my daughter.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:1) They

latincanuck wrote:

1) They come out and tell you.

Not usually

Quote:

2) You see them fucking/kissing passionately someone of the same sex (and not a drunking college thing either)

When would a guy kiss another guy publically? They usually do it alone.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Kevin???

He's.....err...um.......  nevermind.

edit

(no offense Kev..)

What's that supposed to mean, Ctp.?  Oh, nevermind.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:When

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
Ctp., in what city do you live again?

BigUniverse wrote,

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
She speaks

Thomathy wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I think the Cpt... lives under a rock !!  

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Just breathe

mrjonno wrote:

Easy if a woman doesnt fancy me she is obviously a lesbian. Which is of course her right but a sad loss as she won't be able to be seduced by me Sad

Isn't it hard to breathe with head up your ass so far  ??  

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: Start

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Start decorating your bedroom, or blast N'SYNC music.

N'SYNC makes music ?

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

But seriously why are they having a hard time?

Because I don't fit the stereotype, whatever that is. Also, most of my friends are moslims and christians. They pride themselves on their faith-fueled gay-dar, so they don't really like to admit it doesn't work.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Also do you have any relatives that are also gay?

I have a couple of unmarried uncles, yeah. But they're stuffed so far up the closet they're in Narnia.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Cpt_pineapple

Thomathy wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I'm in North Western Ontario. I'm sure it's more common in bigger cities.

GW SKEPTIC
GW SKEPTIC's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I live in the gay area of

I live in the gay area of Washington, DC. I even have a popular gay lounge in the retail section underneath my apartment. I'd say my gaydar has gotten much better since moving here, but sometimes there are just people I would never guess. Not all gay guys act effeminate or do any of the stereotypical "tells," of course. The ones that really throw you off are the older guys. I'm guessing the pool to choose from is just smaller because these are the most diverse couples I have ever seen. You might get a short guy that looks like Santa Claus with a tall Indian guy. Definitely noticeable walking down the street, holding hands.

SKEPTIC: Science & Knowledge Empowering People to Intelligently Choose
A Student Organization at The George Washington University

Jubal
User is offlineOffline
Gaydar is really just

Gaydar is really just people's ability to read other people. It's been shown countless times by cold-readers etc that people reveal a giant amount of information in body language, tone of voice, accent, use of slang, etc.

So yes, if you know what to look and listen for, and are a very good observer, I don't find it hard to believe that one could tell after some conversation and observation. (I qualify that by saying that they could produce better results than random chance, not that they would be right 100% of the time!)

Two of my best friends are queer (their words) and they both claim to have excellent gaydar.

But the idea that someone could tell reliably if someone was gay just by watching them walk down the street? No way.

Being open-minded isn't the same thing as being vacant.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Thomathy

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I'm in North Western Ontario. I'm sure it's more common in bigger cities.

Generally liberal cities don't have a problem with guys kissing. I don't know if Thunder Bay qualifies, seeing as I've never been there.

(If you actually live in Thunder Bay, it's the only Northwestern Ontario city I could think of, I'm not psychic.)

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Accepting

Hennepin Ave in Minneapolis was the only place for the gay culture to survive in Minnesota back in the 70's.  I don't think much has changed.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:(If you

HisWillness wrote:

(If you actually live in Thunder Bay, it's the only Northwestern Ontario city I could think of, I'm not psychic.)

Population 117,000 and I think it's the biggest city in Ontario west of Sudbury.