Deja Vu

WBFL
User is offlineOffline
Deja Vu

Just to start out, proud atheist.

While watching a special on time on science channel i started thinking of Deja Vu ,personally i have experianced it quite a few times in my 17 years on earth... just wondered how would anyone explain it.

Knowledge is power
Power leads to corruption
Corrution leads to crime
Crime doesn't pay
So if you study you'll go broke.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
There have been quite a few

There have been quite a few ideas about that. A sense of familiarity with a place or situation may well be nothing more that an overreaction to a sense of similarity to something already experienced.

One of my favorites is it may be the result of a delay in memory preocessing. That is, processing the memory of your current situation is delayed for some reason for a few miliseconds, putting the brain in the position of "remembering" what just happened out pf phase with your sense of "now", giving it the sense of having happened in the past.

Here is a great article examining it.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

WBFL
User is offlineOffline
It may just be that im not

It may just be that im not getting what ur saying bcuz im tired (havent read the article bcuz of so yet... look into it later) but im talking about ill have a dream wake up thinking about it and forget it till the event happens., but again i could just not be getting it right now...

Knowledge is power
Power leads to corruption
Corrution leads to crime
Crime doesn't pay
So if you study you'll go broke.

WBFL
User is offlineOffline
It may just be that im not

yay double posts

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I had read somewhere, that

I had read somewhere, that deja-vu is a good sign, that your soul gives you thumbs up, or saying something like "so far you're doing quite well".
(I don't say I believe it, so far I had seen no other source which would support it, it's just a remark from dark corners of my trusted long-termed memory)

I had read the JillSwift's article, so I'd be more inclined to that paragraph about tachyons. Though I don't believe in tachyons.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:I had read

Luminon wrote:
I had read somewhere, that deja-vu is a good sign, that your soul gives you thumbs up,

or saying something like "so far you're doing quite well".

(I don't say I believe it, so far I had seen no other source which would support it, it's just a remark from dark corners of my trusted long-termed memory)

I had read the JillSwift's article, so I'd be more inclined to that paragraph about tachyons. Though I don't believe in tachyons.

But you do believe in souls.

So, particles with a solid grounding in current working theory = no belief. Something that has no evidence whatsoever = belief.

Luminon continues to amaze.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:But you do

JillSwift wrote:

But you do believe in souls.

So, particles with a solid grounding in current working theory = no belief. Something that has no evidence whatsoever = belief.

Luminon continues to amaze.

As for souls, I've seen enough to be convinced and other people around as well. It's not as much about belief, than about assumption based on evidence. You can disbelieve, because you didn't see what I saw.
As for tachyons, that's more complicated. I meant it a bit differently than you think.
You know we have at home Tesla's tablets. In USA, David Wagner calls his very similar materials "tachyonized". He says, that it creates a field around, which slows down the fast tachyons, so they interact with matter.
This is, where my disbelief comes in. (better late than never Smiling ) I probably can't explain you sufficiently what I mean, because it would require you to get known with several terms which are not yet defined in science, and thus are highly untrustworthy for you. What benefit would it have, to explain you what you won't allow yourself to understand?
Let's stay with the point, that I don't trust in Wagner's definition of tachyons, and I consider possibility that tachyons known in science aren't exactly what they appear to be.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:I had read

Luminon wrote:

I had read somewhere, that deja-vu is a good sign, that your soul gives you thumbs up, or saying something like "so far you're doing quite well".

Come again? You believe in the possibility of a soul- whatever that is- over the existence of a theoretical particle?

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
I experience strong deja vu

I experience strong deja vu on a fairly regular basis. I certainly don't accredit anything supernatural to it. One explanation I've heard is that sometimes one eye will process a split second slower than the other, so you have in fact seen what you're seeing moments before. I'm happy to just go with that or another scientific answer.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
FulltimeDefendent wrote:Come

FulltimeDefendent wrote:

Come again? You believe in the possibility of a soul- whatever that is- over the existence of a theoretical particle?

I don't mean just some abstract soul. I've got a complex scheme of soul structure, which explains many phenomena in human consciousness and society. This theory was succesfully applied at other areas of knowledge and showed new, useful principles of understanding the world. Afterwards, the results confirmed a validity of this theory. Independent researchers describes phenomena, which are identic with the structure we call the soul.
Such research was also independently done during last years by my parents, so I know what I'm talking about, I had seen it in practice. It's a bit complex to describe what it was exactly about (the methods themselves are far from being accepted by atheistic community), but I can say for sure, this particular soul theory appeared as a working principle in understanding of certain aspects of human life. Aspects, known as spirituality, for example.

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
Luminon

Luminon wrote:

FulltimeDefendent wrote:

I don't mean just some abstract soul. I've got a complex scheme of soul structure, which explains many phenomena in human consciousness and society. This theory was succesfully applied at other areas of knowledge and showed new, useful principles of understanding the world. Afterwards, the results confirmed a validity of this theory. Independent researchers describes phenomena, which are identic with the structure we call the soul.
Such research was also independently done during last years by my parents, so I know what I'm talking about, I had seen it in practice. It's a bit complex to describe what it was exactly about (the methods themselves are far from being accepted by atheistic community), but I can say for sure, this particular soul theory appeared as a working principle in understanding of certain aspects of human life. Aspects, known as spirituality, for example.

I take it you mean independent as in "Not Peer Reviewed." Since you have not described the theory, its epistemology, the methodology of the experiment, or anything else for that matter except make claims I cannot verify I can only ask that if you would like a skeptic to take your claims seriously you must provide a link or copy and paste any and all material relevant to the theory. I guarantee that I would do the same for you if you asked. After I have received answers from this material to the following questions, I will get back to you.

If the methodology is scientific it will be excepted by the majority of the atheist community. IF the methodology is scientific. The subtext of your post implies that it is not, since you don't actually discuss your methodology, only stating that you have one. You say it's a bit complex. Try me. If it makes sense, I'll say so. If it's nonsense, I'll say so. I'm an honest guy and I try not to have double standards, but I find your claims particularly questionable.

1. Which phenomena in human consciousness and society exactly are explained by your theory of soul structure? In other words, based on your theory, what predictions can we make and test to see if the theory bears out?

Luminon wrote:
This theory was succesfully applied at other areas of knowledge and showed new, useful principles of understanding the world. Afterwards, the results confirmed a validity of this theory. Independent researchers describes phenomena, which are identic with the structure we call the soul.

Well that's a can of worms.

2. Which areas of knowledge?

3. What new, useful principles of understanding? Please be specific.

4. Also, what WERE the results that you say confirmed the validity of this theory. Again, please be specific.

5. Who are these independent researchers and has their work been peer reviewed?

6. How can something be structurally identical to a concept that has never been universally agreed upon?

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
And Luminon- any respectable

And Luminon- any respectable scientist would ask those questions. Not just atheists. A respectable scientist would also ask:

In regards to your theory, what does it explain better than other theories, or what does it offer that is new and unaccounted for by other theories? Besides spirituality, I mean. I'm looking for something tangible here that I don't have to make a leap of faith to accept.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
You're right to demand more

You're right to demand more information. I'm just afraid I can mainly recommend you to read about a half dozen of books and the other half would be good to follow. It's extensive, it's both intellectual and intuitive in unique blend, and it requires insight which may take decades to gain. You might see only a jargon, it's likely you don't speak by the same language. I can show you a historical example.
German nation is called Deutsche by Germans. Neighbouring Czech nation always called a german, under a term of 'nemec' which literally means 'the mute one'. German language is so different to czech, so for czechs a german is as good as mute, or too dumb to learn to speak. It's true, that germans repaid this attitude by centuries of occupation and near destruction of czech culture. So, the point is, that if you don't know the 'language', then I'm as good for you as mute.

We seriously study spirituality, higher human motives, and so on, to improve a quality of life. Atheists only begins to discover these qualities and value of spirituality. You know, that thing, when a man or woman has a job, house, wife/husband, children, a bit of financial supplies, and suddenly gets a bit of free time, and suddenly starts to ask what it is all about. Is it all we can expect from life, and the rest is just waiting for death? Such people wants something more, than proverbial bread and games. I think that Strugacki brothers very well described this process in their book "Land of the promised".

FulltimeDefendent wrote:

I take it you mean independent as in "Not Peer Reviewed." Since you have not described the theory, its epistemology, the methodology of the experiment, or anything else for that matter except make claims I cannot verify I can only ask that if you would like a skeptic to take your claims seriously you must provide a link or copy and paste any and all material relevant to the theory. I guarantee that I would do the same for you if you asked. After I have received answers from this material to the following questions, I will get back to you.

Peer reviewed? Possibly we're the peer reviewers, at these times there were none the researcher had a contact with, it was unique discovery in that time. (though it was a bit based on some ancient musical instruments) I specially meant Robert Allan Monroe, the genius of consciousness research. There was practically nobody (except of Dr. Chet Snow), but now his work is re-discovered, compared with other sources and confirmed. However, methods of these other sources are a bit different. This very interesting, discovery of the same thing by various methods, but it gets really complicated here, and you even didn't read Monroe's books.

FulltimeDefendent wrote:
  If the methodology is scientific it will be excepted by the majority of the atheist community. IF the methodology is scientific. The subtext of your post implies that it is not, since you don't actually discuss your methodology, only stating that you have one. You say it's a bit complex. Try me. If it makes sense, I'll say so. If it's nonsense, I'll say so. I'm an honest guy and I try not to have double standards, but I find your claims particularly questionable.
OK, I presume you are a honest guy, I just doubt you're able to encompass such a huge area of knowledge just by what I can here write you. You can't make your opinion or understanding on this. I made some degree of my understanding because I grew up in it, and my parents has also their understanding, because they studied it for all their mature life. Even today there are no universal standards, but many lesser or greater groups, associations and organizations, which are related, with compatible knowledge, or even mutually exclusive. It's a similar mess like in Christianic congregations and it would certainly be good to trim that dense jungle, but unfortunately no-one has authority to do that. Anyone who ever tried it, just created another group.
It's a great obstacle in presenting our work to fellow peer reviewers and to a layman and scientific public. We're associated with a greater group, and among fellow or related people we can work well with our knowledge, but not so well beyond them.

I'm sorry I can't reply to the rest of it, my work errands needs to be done. (yeah, I'm technically at work now) I will do it when the time allows me, as best as I can and I'll try to not disappoint your patience and confidence. However, it can be only in very superficial look, don't make any deeper assumptions based on it.

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
Luminon:

I appreciate your patience with me as well. I understand your "mute" analogy in regards to the issue of communicating certain concepts, but I would point out that what you are describing seems very similar to things that I myself used to believe, before I considered myself an atheist.

I would advise you though that this forum is not a legitimate branch of the scientific establishment nor have I been published in any scientific journals of possess a PhD. Though there are PhDs and other recognized scholars and scientists on this forum, it is still not an academic or scientific journal, and thus there is no such thing as true peer review here, not the kind you're talking about anyway.

I think our communication failure may come down to this: You probably (and correct me if I am wrong about this) are likely to call something "spiritual" to which I would see no spiritual connection. You claim that you are not trying to posit a supernatural explanation for the "phenomenon" of the "soul" that you describe, but you say that it comes down to spirituality. I admit that I have not been spiritual as a mature adult (though I tried in my teens), but I don't see why that should be such a barrier. After all, so much of the information we work with and process in our daily lives  comes from subjects that we as individuals have not studied in depth. For example, I feel relatively comfortable talking about post-modernism or literary deconstruction even though I only have ever dabbled with those subjects in academia, and have concentrated my studies on physical anthropology.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
So, FullTimeDefendent,

So, FullTimeDefendent, hereby I try to answer your questions about the superconsciousness, so-called soul. It's quite long, but I tried to make it interesting and answer as best I can. It was a bit tiring, but I'm glad someone cares about these things, so it's well worth of the effort.  Please don't spare with remarks or objections. I hope you won't be engulfed and repelled by a multitude of unfamiliar informations.

1. Which phenomena in human consciousness and society exactly are explained by your theory of soul structure?
In other words, based on your theory, what predictions can we make and test to see if the theory bears out?

The ability to create a genuine information which is not derivable from environment. For example, an art or music, how does a melody come to artist's mind? Not everyone listens to raindrops, like Chopin or Chajkowskij did. Also, there is a famous scientist in my country, who, as his co-workers says, "just draws a molecule and then we test it". He invented a substance, which is now a part of 60% medicines against AIDS and makes it so efficient, that nowadays patients doesn't have to take 30 pills per day in exact order, but one or two. He also recently invented a molecule, which healed an extensive cancer on testing dog for a week. (If it will work on humans, and also on other types of cancer, that's another question)
With soul theory, we don't have to theoretize how brain does it, we can purposely work on enhancing these abilities by estabilishing a better connection to their source. There are already methods for it.
The power of personality, able to lead masses, or a correct intuition, able to predict movements of market, these are also effects of soul and if a correct way of development is held, then these abilities will appear.
Soul also provides a motivation. Human being as such can't be forever closed in known environment, with enough of food, entertainment and sex, even the most comfortable state will make the people to eventually reject it for something new, though uncomfortable and possibly life-threatening, but giving an opportunities to develop. This is commonly seen as "misfits in otherwise happy society", or "trouble in paradise" and is one of typical topics in legends. Gathering of experiences is one of soul's purpose and it doesn't like, when it's vehicle does nothing, when there is a soul contact, the soul less or more gently "pushes" the human forward. Soul basically is, what caused a development from animal to human.
I think it could be verified by cloning a human being. Is it immoral? Not, I think. You can clone a body, but nobody can clone the soul or force it to inhabit the vehicle. Such a body would live (though it's not simple to clone a human), but it would have none of the human urges to discover and develop, to conquer and control, there would be no stimulus or motivation except of basic needs. This makes an idea of cloning a human utterly useless. A clone wouldn't do anything, what wouldn't be rigidly hard-wired into brain. There are secret experiments going on in many greater countries to clone a human, but the need for a soul makes them all futile.

2. Which areas of knowledge?
These I saw personally at home, are regression abreactive therapy (past lives therapy) and Astrology of Aquarian age. Both are very important for the quality of life and understanding of who we are.
For example, the soul is independent on our perception of time, and it sees all it's incarnations as parallel, simultaneous. This is why it can cooperate when client's trauma in a past life is resolved, and the whole process is much more effective. The soul can also forbid a therapy session for client, if it decides it's not a correct way to heal client's trauma. Well, I had also heard that some therapists lets a soul to decide how much money they are appropriately allowed to take for the therapy from a client. I guess they don't do it anymore, as the soul supports rather a modest life of it's vehicle.
As for astrology of Aquarian age, it's a topic for itself. Sceptics are correct, when they say that astrology is baloney. Astrology is just another form of working with energy, for example, with a law of resonance. When the Aquarian age comes, it is like all meanings would be shifted, altered and sometimes entirely opposite. Astrologic methods and data must be updated, before it again may show positive results. My father does this work and he is very succesful at it, some people says, that he's the best astrologer in this country. His book "Introduction to the Astrology of Aquarian Age" should be published in USA under Dubsar House publisher. AAA shouldn't be judged, until you read this book, but you're all free to slander the outdated, traditional astrology, I'll join you in it.

3. What new, useful principles of understanding? Please be specific.
Now I will describe, what exactly is the thing known as 'sense of life', in relation to an individual person. (human species as such have another, different purpose) Human lives in modern society follows a certain pattern. The soul usually expects from it's vehicle to achieve three goals per one life. It is, for example, mastering a certain quality, one in my case I know about is to surpass shyness in personal contact and to start to like people as such, and not to stay with head in clouds instead. That's my problem I will have to solve and I'm honestly trying.
Often, people are well capable of intuitively pursuing these goals which soul wants them to achieve as a part of it's own plan. However, there are cases, when people aren't aware enough to do it, and this is where a pattern of problems appears. The soul uses a shock therapy on it's vehicle, it's tool, trying to "wake it up". It starts with small, subtle warnings, like a minor accident, or an easy disease. If a human being ignores or doesn't recognize them, there will come more, like a greater personal or emotional problems, greater accident and injury, or more serious disease. Many people in this process turns to the sides of their life they neglected before, and the soul gets what it wants. However, a part of people ignores even such a warning, and continues in doing things, which aren't coherent with the will of soul. In this case, there is a last opportunity for the soul to force it's vehicle to not waste all it's life entirely. This is very often a crippling accident or a lethal disease. When a human realizes, that he/she has only a few months to live, he/she starts to live as fully as possible, turning attention to deeper sides of life and the great questions, instead of being a total douchebag as before.
In these few months of remaining life, such a person may make much greater spiritual development, than in all the life before. This is why this tactics is used by soul, it's simply a good bargain. Sometimes there is almost miraculous healing from the lethal conditon, sometimes not, but the progress stays. (stored in soul, not necessarily in that person, as you'll see)
My grandmother was a person like that, a douchebag. She was shallow, choleric, narrow-minded religious hypocrite. She did all to appear holy in front of others, and she furiously beated mainly my uncle every Sunday, because he didn't want to go to the church, which was anyway intended to look as a pious family in front of neighbours. My father was her son, and by her example, he is absolutely healed from religion, he received awfully intense anti-church vaccination.
So, that person, my grandmother, when my dad was about 16 years old, had a breast cancer. She almost died, but being so near death improved her personality. She became less fanatic and furious, a better person overall. But it lasted only a few years before she returned to her old personality, then the cancer returned and she died just as she deserved.
Such a pattern of life events is obvious on all people with less or more ruined lives, who comes to my father as clients for astrology, it's an effect of ignoring the very specific individual soul's will.
Aquarian Age Astrology, which my father helps to invent, is primarily created to determine individual's soul will and thus to prevent the scheme I just described. And he's very good at it. Yeah, I certainly have a reason to be proud of my dad, he helped many people and will help even more.

4. Also, what WERE the results that you say confirmed the validity of this theory. Again, please be specific.
Except of these I already described, it is necessary to know, that the soul is intelligent, living being. We are just it's part, with limited intelligence and knowledge, compared to the soul.
There are individuals among us, who are developed enough, that they are capable of a conscious contact with their own soul. I had seen two in my life. One was a friend and tutor of my father (but now dead), and one is an associate of local group which pefroms this research I'm writing about here. This woman's soul allows it's vehicle to help to closest members of a local club, the group we work in. In ocassional sessions, this woman provides answers on questions which are otherwise beyond our possibilities to know. In one such session she described broader circumstances of one my past life therapy sessions. Not only she knew what I saw in my therapy visions several years ago, she described what exact impacts had this life and things I did there had it on my contemporary life, and it all awfully matched. Dunno how about you, but I was a bit scared. I wouldn't want to describe it to details...
Next thing, I had a question about my particular degree of alignment with my own soul. She chose one of schemes she had never seen before, and chose a certain line in that scheme, on which is a lowest part of soul structure. She showed there a particular connection between two centres in soul structure, which is in my case, supposed to be cleared and this also gives me an increased sensitivity to certain edge phenomena. (which is actually rather common, but that would be another topic) The point is, that this woman never had seen the schemes before and pointed out a detail in them, which is logical and coherent with certain books about the soul, we have. (which she didn't read, this is why she cooperates with us. She has the soul, and we have a know-how to use it Smiling ) She didn't by any chance point out any other part, which would say, that I am holy as at least two Popes together. She did these advicing sessions more times, even for me, and her predictions or advices were appeared to be true, when it was possible to determine. We don't have to do what her soul suggests, but it often eventually appeared as a better choice in our life.
I'd like to emphasize very definitely, that the contact with soul is NOT a mediumship or spiritism! These phenomena has absolutely different basis. The most reliable method to recognize a mediumship (which is very likely to be a source of delusion) from a soul contact is the fact, that the soul doesn't communicate in words, verbally, by text, and so on. It of course can, but it chooses not to. Instead it uses visions, intuition, sub-conscious uncontrollable muscle tension, etc. This doesn't make the communication much simplier, but it's very important to have this reliable method of differing it from the spiritism.  I don't say that spiritism doesn't work, I just say it's the most quick way to delusions. Guess who are the most of the people who claim they speak with Jesus. Except of pastors.

5. Who are these independent researchers and has their work been peer reviewed?
I not sure if I'm allowed to give out their names. These independent researchers are mainly people living in Czech Republic and Slovakia, you've never heard of, their names wouldn't be familiar to you. Two of them are my parents. Most of them are spiritual seekers, participators on meditation sessions, healers, lectors of spiritual teachings, but also having any normal civil jobs... They mostly do it as their hobby. For example, my father, the greatest astrologer in republic, currently works as a truck driver. My parents and a group of similar people from our vicinity (near towns) formed together a registered citizen association, named Ekoland Klub, which is focused on personal improvement.
All this we do is a personal improvement in the most profound sense. We also translate, publish and distribute certain books we chose, for example, books of Robert Allan Monroe.
To be honest, I'm not sure if and how exactly were these claims peer-reviewed. It's hard to say generally, it depends on specific cases of various techniques. For example, a meditation known simply as "Transmission Meditation" (which is a close part of the teaching about the soul) is peer-reviewed extremely well by hundreds of groups all around the world (also this one here), and it's said to be, when performed correctly, at least 10-15x more effective than any other form of meditation. I perform it as well, and I can say, it's very intense, though I'm a beginner in it.
But there are things, which by their nature can not be yet peer-reviewed, or couldn't be till recently. For example, my father adopted certain ideas and created the mentioned Aquarian Age Astrology. In these times, he had no peer, certainly not among traditional astrologer. The only references were a happy clients. By time, he did several courses and educated a few dozens of good Aquarian astrologers, so these now have a peers they can ask for a review. But main reviewing authority, most numerous anyway, is a public... People, "spiritual seekers" who visits a lectures, and sometimes gets intrigued by what the lectors says, and if it's beneficial for them, they metaphorically give a otherwise a . Even better is a number of people, who got a recommendation from their friends or relatives. If they are disappointed, they won't give good references. Of course, a sspiritual work means also saying unpleaant things to people, what they need to hear. Here another good measure of people's skills is, though a client hears things he doesn't want to hear, he realizes their value and considers it all as a positive experience. And then sends someone else.

If you ever could hear about any czech "spiritual" authorities, then there are Antonin Baudys (astrologer, rather good, but kind of TV man), Jiri Grygar (astronomer, sceptic, and asshat), and a married couple of Eduard and Mila Tomas, both already dead. Then there is at one man of Slovak nation, who had been a great spiritual teacher of my father, who endured great dangers of toughest communistic regime to smuggle spiritual books to Czechoslovakia. He's unknown except to a few people, but he was truly a great person. 

6. How can something be structurally identical to a concept that has never been universally agreed upon?

Here is a formal problem. As for the group our club is in, and related group and associations, we have our own terminology, and whenever anyone outside of that group discovers something, it must be recognized and translated to our jargon, so we can evaluate it.
Fortunately, the structure of soul is so specific, that we were able to identify it for example in very precise experiences of Robert Allan Monroe. Though therms there are different, I would say "secular" (we use part of our terminology derived from sanskrit, it's a latin of mystics Smiling  )  the pattern is identic. The purpose, the description of the soul, and certain details, they are practically the same what is in our main information source. If there were any incoherences, (none I would know of) these were procentually so small, that it was well within an acceptable range of man-made mistake.
It's a matter of lifetime experiences, knowledge, intuition, discerning and practical examination, to find a coherence in this jungle of life. It's not easy, but definitely possible. The work is done by comparing of more different, independent sources together, similarly like translators compared various versions of Scriptural passages, eaten by moths on various spots. Also, principles which were already discovered to be true and well explained, are used as standards.
There are no standards in this whole movement, but among the group we belong to, there certainly are. To be honest, if ever there will be any general coherency in this huge, diverse and less or more deluded global spiritual movement, I can't imagine any better standards than our club has till now. But I guess everyone thinks like that Smiling

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, but can you actually

Yes, but can you actually answer the questions asked of you? You are taking up huge amounts of bandwidth on a forum supposedly reserved for rational thought. The least you could do, since talking sense is beyond you, is to acknowledge that you're being a bit cheeky and proffer at least one retort that is not an insult to intelligence.

You are, and I know you will find this amazing (probably your parents will too if you are not maligning them with your constant description of them as nutters as well) rather stupid. You have confused verbiage with erudition, assertion with fact, and - not least - vacuous inanity with intelligence. Worse, you seem to think that we who do have a smattering of intelligence should take your stupid assertions seriously and engage you in debate. Younger, more indulgent members of the community here have given you much more opportunity than you deserve to rescue your self-inflicted image of yourself as a moron. You have signally failed to do so.

So maybe now, as a matter of kindness to the rest of us if not intelligence on your part (notice my breath is still not being held) you will refrain from posting irrational crap in a section of the site which is supposedly reserved for something better?

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:Yes, but can

Nordmann wrote:
Yes, but can you actually answer the questions asked of you? You are taking up huge amounts of bandwidth on a forum supposedly reserved for rational thought. The least you could do, since talking sense is beyond you, is to acknowledge that you're being a bit cheeky and proffer at least one retort that is not an insult to intelligence.

I thought I actually answered. I answered how I wouldn't mind people to answer to me and I would find a sense in such an answer. As for the retort, I will rather insult an intelligence, than you. It's safer with the forum rules.

Nordmann wrote:
You are, and I know you will find this amazing (probably your parents will too if you are not maligning them with your constant description of them as nutters as well) rather stupid.
Yeah, I'm not really satisfied with my modest IQ of 136 points. It's too high for jocks, too low for geeks, and tweeners ends as a skeletons in biology cabinet

Nordmann wrote:
  Younger, more indulgent members of the community here have given you much more opportunity than you deserve to rescue your self-inflicted image of yourself as a moron. You have signally failed to do so.
Be careful to not step on your white beard, dude.

Seriously, Nordmann, is all your life neatly lined up according to textbooks? Didn't you ever see something strange, unbelievable, for which a science has no explanation till this day?
Whenever I asked any of my friends, they always came up with several their experiences just like that. And you know what? I believed them, because some of that experiences are very similar to mine, and because my friends wouldn't lie to me and I wouldn't lie to them. It seems, that everyone I asked so far, experienced something out of norms, and usually multiple times. It is highly statistically unprobable, that you would be an exception. So what you did with a fair share of your own mysteries? Did you bury them in the darkest corner of your memory, because they're an abomination in front of Rationality?
So what is your rationality worth of, when you declined it a challenges, an opportunities to train it against a real threat, and let it become strong?

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
WBFL wrote:Just to start

WBFL wrote:

Just to start out, proud atheist.

While watching a special on time on science channel i started thinking of Deja Vu ,personally i have experianced it quite a few times in my 17 years on earth... just wondered how would anyone explain it.

Well let me throw my personal spin on it

I constantly have deja vu err... for lack of a better word "events"

Why? well... For starters i am cronically paranoid, this leads to excessive planning and fore-thought of possible ''event'' in my future (both near and far). Now statisically speaking, eventually i WILL be correct on an ''event'' and since this ''event'' has already played out in my mind (several times, more often then not) i will get that big ole deja vu sensation.

Now right out of the box its obvious this happens to a normal person alot less >.> but it happens and it should hold up to testing (which is more than anything that come from Luminion, can say.... oh! burn!... ahaha)

What Would Kharn Do?

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:Yes, but can

Nordmann wrote:

You are, and I know you will find this amazing (probably your parents will too if you are not maligning them with your constant description of them as nutters as well) rather stupid. You have confused verbiage with erudition, assertion with fact, and - not least - vacuous inanity with intelligence. Worse, you seem to think that we who do have a smattering of intelligence should take your stupid assertions seriously and engage you in debate. Younger, more indulgent members of the community here have given you much more opportunity than you deserve to rescue your self-inflicted image of yourself as a moron. You have signally failed to do so.

So maybe now, as a matter of kindness to the rest of us if not intelligence on your part (notice my breath is still not being held) you will refrain from posting irrational crap in a section of the site which is supposedly reserved for something better?

He also has made clear that if we disagree with his suppositions, then obviously we're not sufficiently versed in the subject matter, which is something I've often heard from proponents of the astrological (con) arts.

I plan to respond to several points that he made, when I'm not drunk. Until then, tally-ho!

P.S. Nordmann- ever wonder why mystics use esoteric languages? So their material can't be accessed easily by most debunkers. Hell, this is how we get the "Pig's Blood and Snail Juice" associations of Witches, who invented code names for their herbal medicines under the Pagan and Christian incarnations of the Roman Empire.

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
Ockham's Razor

Additionally, I tend to apply Ockham's Razor sparingly, as I have found that in evolutionary biology (my field of study is Physical Anthropology), especially when dealing with complex life forms, it does not necessarily apply, but I think it's appropriate to invoke here:

The correct explanation is usually the one with the fewest number of variables.

I think the neurological explanations of Deja Vu trump Soul Theory in this case.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
FulltimeDefendent

FulltimeDefendent wrote:

Additionally, I tend to apply Ockham's Razor sparingly, as I have found that in evolutionary biology (my field of study is Physical Anthropology), especially when dealing with complex life forms, it does not necessarily apply, but I think it's appropriate to invoke here:

I think the neurological explanations of Deja Vu trump Soul Theory in this case.

I must be confused about what Occam's Razor is. I thought it was simple: "Do not multiply entities unnecessarily". This would apply in any field of study.

Do we need a soul to explain Deja Vous? No, the evidence before us (in the form of neuroscience) is sufficient.

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift

JillSwift wrote:

FulltimeDefendent wrote:

I must be confused about what Occam's Razor is. I thought it was simple: "Do not multiply entities unnecessarily". This would apply in any field of study.

Do we need a soul to explain Deja Vous? No, the evidence before us (in the form of neuroscience) is sufficient.

That's pretty much what Ockham's Razor says. Just substitute "entities" with "variables," which he would have said if he were around today. The keyword though is "unnecessarily," which usually isn't mentioned when Ockham's Razor is invoked today (misquoted, rather) as "the simplest explanation is always true," which was not the intention of the axiom. People often leave out that "unnecessarily" concept. Sometimes, to make a solution viable, it is necessary to multiply variables. See my comment below on Primate Evolution.

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift

JillSwift wrote:

FulltimeDefendent wrote:

Was it the biology comment that threw you? Just google "Suspensory locomotion apes" and you'll see what I mean. It would be convenient if we could say that all the apes inherited suspensory locomotion from a common ancestor, but the evidence says otherwise. Apparently suspensory locomotion evolved independently, at least 5 or 6 times, maybe more. If all apes inherited it from a common ancestor, humans would be expected to have been suspensory at one point too, but it turns out our hands retain the primitive, non-suspensory structure of a baboon's, rather than the derived (  or "advanced"  ) hand structure of suspensory apes.

In other words, Ockham's Razor fails Science Class. Seriously, primate evolution is like a freaking Rube Goldberg Machine.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
FulltimeDefendent wrote:Was

FulltimeDefendent wrote:

Was it the biology comment that threw you? Just google "Suspensory locomotion apes" and you'll see what I mean. It would be convenient if we could say that all the apes inherited suspensory locomotion from a common ancestor, but the evidence says otherwise. Apparently suspensory locomotion evolved independently, at least 5 or 6 times, maybe more. If all apes inherited it from a common ancestor, humans would be expected to have been suspensory at one point too, but it turns out our hands retain the primitive, non-suspensory structure of a baboon's, rather than the derived (  or "advanced"  ) hand structure of suspensory apes.

In other words, Ockham's Razor fails Science Class. Seriously, primate evolution is like a freaking Rube Goldberg Machine.

It's a point of view thing. I've never accepted that Occam's Razor means "the simplest explanation is usually right", and your example is a fabulous illustration for that.

To me, all Occam's Razor is good for is keeping a cap on over-doing hypotheses. Evidence gathering and experiments is what you need for learnin', and a hypothesys that is over-inclusive is more difficult to deal with than one that's under-inclusive.

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift

JillSwift wrote:

FulltimeDefendent wrote:

It's a point of view thing. I've never accepted that Occam's Razor means "the simplest explanation is usually right", and your example is a fabulous illustration for that.

To me, all Occam's Razor is good for is keeping a cap on over-doing hypotheses. Evidence gathering and experiments is what you need for learnin', and a hypothesys that is over-inclusive is more difficult to deal with than one that's under-inclusive.

I think "overdoing hypotheses" is exactly what Luminon's post illustrates.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
FulltimeDefendent wrote:I

FulltimeDefendent wrote:
Quintessentially so.

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift

JillSwift wrote:

FulltimeDefendent wrote:
Quintessentially so.

I still plan to address why Luminon only answered about half of each question I posed to him, though. Just not while I'm drinking a Forty.

vixen strangely
vixen strangely's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wowsers--I get to share.

Occam's Razor now means: "keep me simple, stupid", but since I am me and experience my whims personally, here's my deal--I have had past life regression.

I was there.  In a Roman era's invasion of the British Isles, I drunkenly knew Roman invaders in my Gaelic space--but I think I can explain how my faux experience rationally are the result of my books--many, many books. I strive to be a more better atheist.

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches."

--Ben Franklin

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
FulltimeDefendent wrote:I

FulltimeDefendent wrote:
I still plan to address why Luminon only answered about half of each question I posed to him, though. Just not while I'm drinking a Forty.
I look forward to it - even though I think it's wasted on Luminon.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
vixen strangely

vixen strangely wrote:
Occam's Razor now means: "keep me simple, stupid", but since I am me and experience my whims personally, here's my deal--I have had past life regression.

I was there.  In a Roman era's invasion of the British Isles, I drunkenly knew Roman invaders in my Gaelic space--but I think I can explain how my faux experience rationally are the result of my books--many, many books. I strive to be a more better atheist.

Well, more better skeptic. Luminon's proof that one can be an atheist and not be in the least bit skeptical. Or rational. Or lucid...

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:vixen

JillSwift wrote:

vixen strangely wrote:

Well, more better skeptic. Luminon's proof that one can be an atheist and not be in the least bit sceptical. Or rational. Or lucid...

If you would see what I do, as often as me,it would be your reality, a reference point to everything. Accepting what I commonly see and touch (interpersonally confirmed, of course) is rational. This is what I do - I'm rational with what I see, and I choose to accept theories, which explains it. The little detail, that I perceive slightly more than a majority of non-trained people can, doesn't mean much, guidelines of rationality stays the same.
Of course I have doubts, if my evidence is enough. But when I recall everything I perceive every single day for last two decades, amazing phenomena I saw over the years, and people I can trust, having pretty much the same experiences, then there's not really much reason for doubt. In this case, making my reality fit others would be irrational (though more comfortable). Most rational thing would be to update humanity's notion about reality. People might have a great benefit of it, after a few decades of research.
Btw, of course I'm skeptical, there are things which didn't withstand my scepticism. For example, Christianity, David Wagner's business, I AM movement, Harekrishna movement, Annie Besant, Antroposophy, U.S. abroad politics, Czech inland politics, and so on. In my worldview, these things are untrustworthy for various, specific reasons. But I refuse to refuse things because of reasons against it I don't have and despite of reasons for it, which I have.

Uhm...did I really not answer a half of every question there? Oops

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
vixen strangely

vixen strangely wrote:

I've got to try that sometime. I wonder if I can hallucinate me a past life from the future, seeing as how I've read so much Science Fiction. Or maybe a caveman since I'm familiar with paleontology.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
FulltimeDefendent wrote:I've

FulltimeDefendent wrote:

I've got to try that sometime. I wonder if I can hallucinate me a past life from the future, seeing as how I've read so much Science Fiction. Or maybe a caveman since I'm familiar with paleontology.

You're free to do so, actually, I'd recommend it if you have any kind of phobia, migraine, relationship problem, and so on. Just relax, follow therapist's instructions and report everything what you observe visualized in your head, doesn't matter if you like it or not, or if it gives sense or not. Therapist shouldn't tell you what to see and so shouldn't you tell yourself what to see. Just report, whatever comes to your consciousness, and the work will gradually begin.
In practice of regression therapy:
- there are common visions of lives, which are interesting for you, from your hobby or job, for example.
- just as common are visions of lives from place and time you didn't care about at all, but may be still interesting.
- there were seen no future lives. One of the most historically recent visions are, for example, from dying soldiers in WW2. Every person has a specific sequence of lives, in which is possible to go deeper, earlier, skip lives, pause a therapy and continue to work on past lives later...
- for therapeutic work, only some of lives with specially traumatic ending are accessible, and mainly this ending is worked with. Otherwise people could spend all their remaining lifetime by exploring what they did in tenths of thousands of past lives, which would be dumb.
- this therapy may be unpleasant. If done properly, it's not anyone's favorite kind of entertainment, it's exhausting both for client and therapist. Some therapists may do regressions just for people to see who they were in past lives, but not my mom.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wouldn't want to be your

I wouldn't want to be your mom in a past life, so that's agreed then.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:I wouldn't

Nordmann wrote:

I wouldn't want to be your mom in a past life, so that's agreed then.

Lol Smiling You surely had a bad time at school, at grammar lessons, specially sentence analysis. (what's 'subject' in that sentence?) I always thought that sentence analysis is useless to learn, until I saw you.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now, now Luminom. You'll

Now, now Luminom. You'll lose a few points off your IQ high score if you're not careful.

By the way, is it because you've had so many past lives - do you think - that you're taking such an inordinately long time in acquiring one this time round?

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry Luminon, there is no

Sorry Luminon, there is no such thing as a "soul" in the sense of an inner part of you that is eternal and all that other rubbish. The soul is make believe. No matter how many books you read, how high your iq or the number of friends you have that are just as confused as you are there is still no soul. When the curtains go down on your life, it's over. Get over that silly nonsense and live with purpose, as you only have this one life.

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:By the way,

Nordmann wrote:

By the way, is it because you've had so many past lives - do you think - that you're taking such an inordinately long time in acquiring one this time round?

I don't exactly understand what do you mean, If you ask about acquiring the life, yeah, it really takes a while, I need to earn some money and get out of the country. This place is great for vacations, but also for hermits.

Subdi Visions wrote:

Sorry Luminon, there is no such thing as a "soul" in the sense of an inner part of you that is eternal and all that other rubbish. The soul is make believe. No matter how many books you read, how high your iq or the number of friends you have that are just as confused as you are there is still no soul. When the curtains go down on your life, it's over. Get over that silly nonsense and live with purpose, as you only have this one life.

As for the soul how do you mean it, the vague cultural idea of some inner immortal spark, which Cthulhu so likes with ketchup, then yes, it's a nonsense and it doesn't even make me believe. I'm not so good at explaining things, let's just say that I had read Wikipedia and I had seen a little of how is the world sophisticated. To get my confidence, everything must fit into this style of complexity, and it of course must demonstrate itself to me perceivably multiple times, and just as to several other people, just to be sure. When it happens, well, that should be enough certainity for everyone.

So tell me, who you are. If you would want to define yourself, would you use a full length of your genetic code? Or would you take a sum of your body atoms, as it is at this moment? Maybe the neural synapses would be what defines you, after all, they're supposed to contain your memory and personality. But if you would look at a brain cells under the microscope, see the synapses for yourself, would you be able to recognize any familiar person by that look? Not even your face could be used as your appropriate definition, it merely displays moods. Are you your brain? Feels it good to float safely in cranial fluid and look out through the windows of eyes? If you are your mind, who are you then, when you don't think? Who are all these meditating people, who can calm down their thinking process any time they want? Who are people with total amnesia?
What of these parts of you can evaluate, or create a beauty? Is there any right algorithm to draw a painting? Is there any special way to stimulate a response of artistic impression? If yes, why it's different with everyone?  People can be born in one family, one moment, the same genes, and yet they can be utterly different. They can indentify themselves with one thing, and others with entirely different thing. Who identifies themselves correctly? Who found a true basis of self, not just another label? All these labels are obvious, but incoherent together.
Well, so what is not obvious, what brings it all together as one system? Where are you among them, as you know yourself? Tell me, if you know.

Btw, don't worry that my attitude would affect my life negatively. No matter how many past lives I think I have, I know which one of them is the most important. This one. As for the purpose, let's say I've got tools to determine it, among them, a common sense and intuition.

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift~ That was an

JillSwift~ That was an excellent article that you linked to. I too experience deja vu quite frequently, and it always unnerves me a bit. In my case, it tends to come in spurts. I'll go a couple weeks without anything, and then several times a day for a week or two, moments in reality will frequently match up with things I dreamt about previously.

I had never really looked into it, but those were some interesting explanations for it. Even if there is no definite answer yet, it's comforting to know that there are plausible explanations for the phenomena, since I'm skeptical of all the spiritual explanations I've encountered in the past.

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
something else to think about...

EDIT: N/M