New Age Spirituality

Gamage90
Gamage90's picture
User is offlineOffline
New Age Spirituality

Just wondering, how do people feel about new age spirituality? I personally can't stand it. Its all part of this culture in which people talk about it to make themselves seem more interesting.

When I say new age spirituality I mean all this stuff to do with positive energy, karma, yoga, most relaxation techniques and past life regression.

"Faith means not wanting to know what is true"
(Friedrich Nietzsche)

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Renee!

JillSwift wrote:

Renee! You're posting again! Yay! =^_^=

Just couldn't stay away!

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:Renee

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Renee , oh yeah .... the million dollar offer still stands when I get the money !

All tickles and giggles for our Renee .... did ya know she was wild !

It's in the family tree !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N8bGHtUGJU

Here is a family reunion video :  Renee Family reunion

Smiling

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
shikko wrote:Yes, mediation,

shikko wrote:

Yes, mediation, etc., can make your brain do some really bitchin' tricks, but that doesn't imply the soul/karma/nirvana exists.  He wants to research what consciousness is and how it works with these tools, along with purely materialistic approaches like MRIs and EEGs.

I still see "spirituality" as the refuge of people who reject the concept of gods, but don't want to lose the comfort they find in believing there is an "unseen reality".  They don't like where the chain of logic that lead them to reject religion (usually the one of their parents) leads, so they simply stop following it to avoid the hard work of becoming consistent.

Absolutely the only reasonable way to look at the topic. We should make sure that we are seperating fantasy from reality before we call it all "bullshit". We have the ability to be reasonable people and we should find benefit in thinking about a set of practices/ideas before we cast them into the realm of idiocy without knowing what we are talking about.

This idea of transendance is much about breathing, bloodflow, and controlling our thoughts. Attributing these feelings of outer body and moments of revalation to some mystical force is, of course, complete twaddle. We should recognize though that we do have a degree of control over how we feel and think. How we breath, stretch, and what thoughts we try to focus on can have a fantastic amount of positive effect on our lives in general.

As to the value of the spiritual and mystical aspect of these practices. If this nonsense is the worst of the religious ideologies then I would be happy to have it. If centering energy and thinking that our bad deeds can come back to haunt us is the most dangerous of concepts these religious fools practice...I welcome it. The thing these new age religions have in common is that there is no dogma supporting mass murder, intolerance, or slavery. We could be so lucky to have these silly new age religions dominating the beliefs and practices of those daft enough to believe that sort of thing.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords wrote: I

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:
I totally agree with you peppermint. Our thoughts tend to dictate our emotions and many find that to be the 'spiritual' piece of their persona. Personally exercise, yoga and meditation....all lend to a healthier body and mind for me. I do however see it as my mind and not 'my spirit'  Smiling

Glad to see you around again!
I meditate too, and I must say, it has certainly a beneficial effect on me. Less straying thoughts, more everyday attention.
I'm only a beginner, but this meditation I perform is so sophisticated, that the results are significant even so early.
What kind of meditation do you perform, how often, how long? Just a curiosity Smiling

However, as in everything serious, there is a risk in meditation. Many people found themselves in problems, after they started to meditateg. Some most frequently meditating people are also reat neurotics. Whatever state they're in, meditation has the effect, that it upsets this balance and whatever they're prone to, may happen. This is a result of incorrect understanding of whatever the meditation is. Theory is extensive, but can be summarized into one basic observation.
Meditation does something with personality, that it causes a need to serve, to be helpful and beneficial to others. Selfish interests goes aside, while the person feels more need to help those, who needs it.  It looses an importance of the self, and the newly freed activity of a person must be focused on the outer world.
Most of the problems I mentioned, are simply a result of the selfishness, when a person meditates, but doesn't want to give a service to the world. This creates a conflict against the very nature of any meditation, and thus mental or physical problems. Whoever meditates more seriously, must make sure that he/she does something good for others. It doesn't have to be anything big, but it should be done. Some people does it automatically, which is very good, but some not and it can really mess up the life.
This is a rational observation and shouldn't be taken lightly. (of course I make sure to behave according to it too)
If meditation is combined with service, it's a natural part of human life and potentizes every other activity the person is doing when not meditating.

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Renee , oh yeah .... the million dollar offer still stands when I get the money !

All tickles and giggles for our Renee .... did ya know she is wild ! 

It's in the family tree !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N8bGHtUGJU

Maybe you'd like this song Eye-wink (the name you surely do)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_bM5yWZ-iI

(one of my favorite bands, an appeal to popularity, huh 

)

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Renee

Luminon wrote:

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:
I totally agree with you peppermint. Our thoughts tend to dictate our emotions and many find that to be the 'spiritual' piece of their persona. Personally exercise, yoga and meditation....all lend to a healthier body and mind for me. I do however see it as my mind and not 'my spirit'  Smiling

Glad to see you around again!
I meditate too, and I must say, it has certainly a beneficial effect on me. Less straying thoughts, more everyday attention.
I'm only a beginner, but this meditation I perform is so sophisticated, that the results are significant even so early.
What kind of meditation do you perform, how often, how long? Just a curiosity Smiling

Thanks!

For me the biggest thing about meditation is relaxation, attention and focus. An 'emptying of the mind' sort of thing. I want to get to a point where I can then contemplate thoughts and feelings but...that is far off as I am fairly new to it (about 18 months or so) Good luck! Everyone finds their own way of the meditation process... Smiling