Let there be rainbows

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let there be rainbows

I am sitting here with FOX NEWS on the boob tube watching coverage of a 3 year olds disappearance. I won't even get into the media coverage (helicopter coverage, pride in being the first to 'capture' images)

Throughout this coverage I heard the word god 7 times and the word Prayer at least 15 times. Now after 2 hours of coverage the boy has been found. The boy wandered for 12 hours! It is quite amazing he was found on a road near the house and not the large pond or cornfield next to the property.

Then my jaw dropped as I heard a reporter state: "As the news of Ryan's safety spread, a rainbow was spotted in the sky...god was looking out for this boy"

What kind of happy-crappy bullshit is this? The reporter stated "This was a miracle, THANK GOD. It is times like this that make you thank god!"

I was chatting with SabbySu online at the time and admitted that I wished the news would have been bad. She encouraged me that I wasn't an awful person but dammit~ These people TRULY believe this little boys safety was due to an act of god!! I want to burst their bubble! I want to scream "STUPID! It wasn't your god that saved your son, it was your son and LUCK"

Tell me I am not horrible...

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
The "cornerstone of western

The "cornerstone of western understanding of the world" doesn't mean a thing, jmm. If, as you say, you agree with how I defined the word when it is used metaphorically (that wasn't me, by the way, that was the Oxford English Dictionary), then you cannot alter its meaning to one nobody but you understands, and then defend your disregard for the language on the basis that you are speaking metaphorically. It just goes to prove that you failed to understand the word "cornerstone", and indeed have failed to understand "metaphor" or, if you indeed do understand these terms, feel no compunction to use them in a manner intelligible to others.

It's a bit like what you claim to have done with the christian doctrine, cherry picked and subjectively selected bits and pieces of it so that the altered entity can then be called your "custom christianity", a practise you defend by saying that everyone is doing it. Maybe every christian is indeed doing it, and faced with a mess of contradictory and dubious doctrine as chrstianity provides, maybe they have no choice. But other disciplines, such as semantics, history, science and just about anything formulated by the rational mind, does not allow such latitude.

So I still advise you to revise your stance. Arbitrarily applying semantic interpretation which only you understand since you have just made it up, when purporting to communicate your "ideas", marks your ideas out as claptrap, marks you out as a fool for not seeing this, and an arrogant one at that for persisting your claptrap be deemed worthy of consideration by others. But then christianity seems to produce an inordinate amount of that type.

Begin again, and this time talk sense, or simply quit while you're behind.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:The

Nordmann wrote:

The "cornerstone of western understanding of the world" doesn't mean a thing, jmm. If, as you say, you agree with how I defined the word when it is used metaphorically (that wasn't me, by the way, that was the Oxford English Dictionary), then you cannot alter its meaning to one nobody but you understands, and then defend your disregard for the language on the basis that you are speaking metaphorically. It just goes to prove that you failed to understand the word "cornerstone", and indeed have failed to understand "metaphor" or, if you indeed do understand these terms, feel no compunction to use them in a manner intelligible to others.

Disregard for language?  Altering the word's meaning to one nobody but me understands?  You've got to be kidding.  Have you really never heard the word cornerstone used in that context?  I find that hard to believe.  It's actually used more in the context I used it in now than the original context.  Language changes, you know--it's funny like that. 

Quote:
It's a bit like what you claim to have done with the christian doctrine, cherry picked and subjectively selected bits and pieces of it so that the altered entity can then be called your "custom christianity", a practise you defend by saying that everyone is doing it. Maybe every christian is indeed doing it, and faced with a mess of contradictory and dubious doctrine as chrstianity provides, maybe they have no choice. But other disciplines, such as semantics, history, science and just about anything formulated by the rational mind, does not allow such latitude.

You're delusional.  Have you read the "What are Your Controversial Opinions?" thread?  All the scientifically-minded people on this site actually have some dissimilar and quite frankly terrifying ideas about the world. 

Quote:
So I still advise you to revise your stance. Arbitrarily applying semantic interpretation which only you understand since you have just made it up, when purporting to communicate your "ideas", marks your ideas out as claptrap, marks you out as a fool for not seeing this, and an arrogant one at that for persisting your claptrap be deemed worthy of consideration by others. But then christianity seems to produce an inordinate amount of that type.

Look man, it's painfully obvious that your first language is not English.  Cornerstone is a widely-used word in the English language which means "an integral part of something."  m-w.com is your friend. 

wd1940 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
[If he had been found dead

[If he had been found dead it wouldn't have been attributed to god though. It would have been the sick bastard that killed him. Then in private conversations people would admit to each other that god works in mysterious ways. It's just all to laughable.]

I am sitting here with FOX NEWS on the boob tube watching coverage of a 3 year olds disappearance. I won't even get into the media coverage (helicopter coverage, pride in being the first to 'capture' images)

Throughout this coverage I heard the word god 7 times and the word Prayer at least 15 times. Now after 2 hours of coverage the boy has been found. The boy wandered for 12 hours! It is quite amazing he was found on a road near the house and not the large pond or cornfield next to the property.

Then my jaw dropped as I heard a reporter state: "As the news of Ryan's safety spread, a rainbow was spotted in the sky...god was looking out for this boy"

What kind of happy-crappy bullshit is this? The reporter stated "This was a miracle, THANK GOD. It is times like this that make you thank god!"

I was chatting with SabbySu online at the time and admitted that I wished the news would have been bad. She encouraged me that I wasn't an awful person but dammit~ These people TRULY believe this little boys safety was due to an act of god!! I want to burst their bubble! I want to scream "STUPID! It wasn't your god that saved your son, it was your son and LUCK"

Tell me I am not horrible...

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Cornerstone" is a euphemism

"Cornerstone" is a euphemism used to describe something that is not only integral, but indispensable and basic. Check the dictionary before you resort to snide attack, christian.

And if you think all atheists think they are scientifically infallible, or even intelligent, then you are even a bigger fool than I suspected.

But then I do not suspect that to be the case any more. Nor that you are arrogant. I am now convinced of both. Think before you write in future. You might find you last a little longer in discussions with intelligent people before being found out for what you are.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:"Cornerstone"

Nordmann wrote:

"Cornerstone" is a euphemism used to describe something that is not only integral, but indispensable and basic. Check the dictionary before you resort to snide attack, christian.

I'm not sure where we're disagreeing here.

Quote:
And if you think all atheists think they are scientifically infallible, or even intelligent, then you are even a bigger fool than I suspected.

??

Quote:
But then I do not suspect that to be the case any more. Nor that you are arrogant. I am now convinced of both. Think before you write in future.

I try to think before write in future, but I stuck in past. 

Quote:
You might find you last a little longer in discussions with intelligent people before being found out for what you are.

You insult my intelligence, then spew forth incoherent literary diarrhea. 

So tell me:  what am I...really

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
A fool

A fool

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:A foolI

Nordmann wrote:

A fool

I resemble that remark. 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow, jmm, Nordman, that was

Wow, jmm, Nordman, that was an entertaining and feisty exchange.  Seriously!

BTW, I read Renee's admittedly controversial statement but like a fool I interpreted it within the context of her OP.  A verbal faux pas on her part?  Maybe. So what ?   

At this point I am not worried that she is a budding atheistic sociopath who would advocate the death of children to simply make FOX NEWS, Christians, etc look bad.

Besides, Christians are already quite capable of making themselves look bad.

SabbySu
SabbySu's picture
User is offlineOffline
You theists can go thank

You theists can go thank your God for this one. But I doubt you will because bad things are never God's fault.

ORLAND, Calif. - A 4-year-old boy drowned in a swimming pool Monday while visiting his grandparents near Orland, south of Redding in Northern California.

The Glenn County Sheriff's Office identified the victim as Ian Walker Jones, son of Kevin and Laura Jones of Dallas. He was pronounced dead at Glenn Medical Center in Willows.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
God's really dropping the

God's really dropping the ball! He couldn't even stop one dude and a car full of explosives from blowing-up the Indian Embassy.

Yeesh. Somebody needs to put his PS3 away for a little while. Sticking out tongue

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
But they were probably all

But they were probably all heathens....

SabbySu
SabbySu's picture
User is offlineOffline
No they were religious and

No they were religious and holding the funeral at a mormon church.
Thats why I posted that one instead of any of the other numerous death. Damn near an identical situation, young kid unattended. Where is your Jesus now?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Maybe they didn't open the

Maybe they didn't open the cracker package quick enough and he suffocated?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:But they

MattShizzle wrote:

But they were probably all heathens....

Please tell me some theist is willing to publicly agree with this statement.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'm sure the fundies would

I'm sure the fundies would - and even ones not as insane as Phelps.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
SabbySu wrote:You theists

SabbySu wrote:

You theists can go thank your God for this one. But I doubt you will because bad things are never God's fault.

ORLAND, Calif. - A 4-year-old boy drowned in a swimming pool Monday while visiting his grandparents near Orland, south of Redding in Northern California.

The Glenn County Sheriff's Office identified the victim as Ian Walker Jones, son of Kevin and Laura Jones of Dallas. He was pronounced dead at Glenn Medical Center in Willows.

Thank you, Lord. 

SabbySu
SabbySu's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Tell me JMM what are you

Tell me JMM what are you thanking God for? Saving the 3 yr old boy, and then willfully neglecting to save the 4 yr old boy? Are you thankful this poor child suffered what's considered to be the top few worst ways to die? (Burning alive,  drowning) Are you thankful that his family is dealing with the devastation of the loss? 

How dare you express gratitude for such an evil biased act. How dare you judge someone for simply wanting the theists eyes to be open. There is no God. He's not there, watching over you, and he's certainly not protecting you. It's time to wake up out of this dream world you're in, and realize such things. Maybe then people would finally take better care of their children and be more responsible for their actions. 

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's always by the grace of

It's always by the grace of god that one guy survives in a huge natural disaster.  Tsunami rolls through, 3000 people die.. one asshole lives... PRAISE JESUS.

Just counting the hits, once again.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Sabbysu:  That's my sis...

Sabbysu:  That's my sis...

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
SabbySu wrote: Tell me JMM

SabbySu wrote:

Tell me JMM what are you thanking God for? Saving the 3 yr old boy, and then willfully neglecting to save the 4 yr old boy? Are you thankful this poor child suffered what's considered to be the top few worst ways to die? (Burning alive,  drowning) Are you thankful that his family is dealing with the devastation of the loss?

I thought it was obvious that I was being facetious.  I was merely sarcastically responding to this:

SabbySu wrote:

You theists can go thank your God for this one.

Of course I'm not thankful.  You're completely daft if you were truly unable to detect my extreme sarcasm. 

Quote:
How dare you express gratitude for such an evil biased act. How dare you judge someone for simply wanting the theists eyes to be open.

Evil biased act?  What on earth are you even talking about? 

I wasn't judging anyone for "wanting the theists' eyes to be opened". 

Quote:
There is no God. He's not there, watching over you, and he's certainly not protecting you. It's time to wake up out of this dream world you're in, and realize such things.

Okay.  You're entitled to that opinion, but it's still largely up for debate.  If my mind changes, I'll let you know. 

Quote:
Maybe then people would finally take better care of their children and be more responsible for their actions.

See, now this is just faulty, loaded rhetoric.  You're suggesting that the fact that people still believe in God somehow correlates with how well they take care of their children?  This is indefensible.  The tragedy with the 4 year old was clearly a tragic accident.  I seriously doubt the grandparents said, "Well, God will watch over him.  Let's go inside and have a pina colada."

You're completely glib and clueless.