Engineering Green 02: Dynamic Architecture

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Engineering Green 02: Dynamic Architecture

Okay. I'd really hate to keep doing these on stuff that I find laying about on the internet, but this was just too interesting not to add my two cents to as well as see what like minded individuals think.

The first thing I have to wonder is what could go wrong here. How will they keep crud out of the turbines between floors? It doesn't seem like there would be enough room to have an elevator in these buildings, let alone stairs.

Still, wouldn't it be cool to have a whole city of these? I imagine with a time-lapse view it would look like the bottom of the ocean; all kinds of waving, possibly anemone-like mini-skyscrapers. With enough of them one might expect to be delivering power to a factory where the modules are built. It would, in a way, be like they're reproducing. Rather poetic I think.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
inspectormustard wrote: It

inspectormustard wrote:

It doesn't seem like there would be enough room to have an elevator in these buildings, let alone stairs.

Stairs and elevators could be external, rather than internal.

This is an interesting concept. I'd love to see someone try to implement it.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cool idea. I was wondering

Cool idea. I was wondering if it is actually doable, but he said they are going to build one in Dubai.

Elevator and stairs could be in the centre, he didn't say the core is solid concrete. Don't know what you would do if the doors don't line up when you want them to.

Wonder how it goes in an earthquake?

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, the reason why I

Well, the reason why I thought there wasn't enough room for stairs/elevator is that in order to be able to get into each level there has to be a door somewhere, they have machinery for rotating each level, and machinery to harvest power from each level. All that stuff needs maintenance, which means having enough space to be able to get to everything. They'll need some kind of coupling for connecting things to each level, and that will need maintenance. Not to mention the water pipes, water pumps, gas, etc. and all the couplers for those. Tons of space for all that.

Still, it is pretty damn cool.

Visual_Paradox
atheistRational VIP!Special Agent
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
The wind turbines and

The wind turbines and modular construction are good ideas, but the rotating floors look silly.

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes!

Godnaut
Godnaut's picture
User is offlineOffline
Visual_Paradox wrote:The

Visual_Paradox wrote:

The wind turbines and modular construction are good ideas, but the rotating floors look silly.

It's a relatively new idea in architecture, but I'm not sold.  Is it better than the building moves?  I'd say no, its more of a gimmick than anything.

It would be interesting to actually see on built though.  But I wouldn't call it a new trend.  They made it look like building this way was cheaper and faster.  I claim bullshit.  Just because the building rotates doesn't mean its the only method of building modular.  Static buildings can be built cheaper, simpler, and greener than those rotating pieces of shit.