Can we ever be completely rational?

ohmyscience
User is offlineOffline
Can we ever be completely rational?

Do people just always find ways to divide themselves from others? It seems to me if religion dissappears people will still find some replacement that is equally irrational. Such as racism, patriotism, utopianism, classism, and others I can't think of. I still think religion should be made obsolete but the outcome might not affect our ability to become anymore peaceful. My opinion is that people will always find reasons to commit irrational acts of violence. What are your sentiments? Do you think its just human nature? Optimistic or pessimistic on a future without religion?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
rational/emotional

The idea that we can be completely rational creatures kinda conflicts with the fact that we are emotional creatures as well, and those emotions can sometimes over ride rational thought. As a species I highly doubt we will never assemble as a society without any forms of divisions, be it political, philisophical, emotional (jealousy/envy is a common one). As such we might eliminate religious irrationality, which in itself does quite alot of harm per se, however eliminating the emotional irrationalities would really seem an improbable task.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Important thoughts RRS.

Important thoughts RRS. 

Teaching basic agreed ethics / logic / comparative religion, to elementary kids would really help. Imagine .... think on the kids ....  all us living are almost dead .... what is our legacy?  Purpose ? .....  

"Teach your children well" 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cluMotMeaxY

Gamage90
Gamage90's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think religion can never

I think religion can never be eradicated. Which is a shame. We could have all the proof possible to show that God's existence isn't solid but religion would continue as it is based around faith. Faith cant be overridden even though its false. For example when we unearthed dinosaur bones, religious types said "God is testing our beliefs" I believe the same can be said when we prove God doesn't exist because faith would indicate to religious types that God yet again "is testing our beliefs"

But yes I agree that we'd only find other ways to separate ourselves. Racism will always exist, i'd like to think we can live together in harmony but that would be unlikely. Were intellectual but still very primitive beings and we'll try to separate ourselves from others. So there would still be conflict but the benefit of there being no religion is that people would know the truth and people would realise there is no afterlife and perhaps try to cooperate and live life to the full before it ends but obviously there will be people who do the opposite and cause conflict when they realise we exist by chance and life has no set purpose.

"Faith means not wanting to know what is true"
(Friedrich Nietzsche)

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Gamage90 Ouch, I feel your

Gamage90

Ouch, I feel your pain! Thanks. Your pessimism is a reflection of your optimism !

How to live life, with no rule book ?

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of 80 and gradually approach 18."  ~ Mark Twain

http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/quotes/twain.htm

Jello
User is offlineOffline
2 cents my

I think it's possible that given enough of a time frame, and with enough effort from the more vocal opponents of faith, religion will shrink to a minority. We might blow ourselves up before then, or get hit by a comet, but assuming we make it for a couple thousand more years, we'll eventually get there.

Of course, we may still have just as many problems, only they'll be different problems! Maybe worse problems!

As for the rational part, no way. Being irrational is instinctive. It's in all of us. Irrationality has as much chance of being eradicated as sexual desire, unless we evolve out of it somehow.

So maybe it is possible, by prolly not. Prolly not.

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.