Is truth constructed or discovered?

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is truth constructed or discovered?

Is truth constructed by language or discovered by observation?

I hold that we have both objective truths about reality and intersubjective (or social) truths within society.

The former truths (the weight of a rock, the speed of light, etc) are discovered while the latter truths (the Beatles make good music, ice create is nice, the concept of money and citizenship, etc) are constructed and subjectively or intersubjectively agreed upon.

Therefore,

Objective truths are independent of mind and are determined by their correspondence/conformity to reality.

Social truths are intersubjective and are determined/constructed by language.

To put it another way... social truths will die with humans/minds, whereas objective truths will not.

Postmodernism seems to reject objective truth and hold truth is all social and constructed by language, right?

Discuss?

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
 flatlanderdox wrote:I

flatlanderdox wrote:
I point to a rather glaring between your "uncertain" premise and your  "certain" conclusion

I've already explained this.

Theories are NOT certain.

Fact are certain. Facts are observations, which you have ZERO reason to doubt.

flatlanderdox wrote:
and you call it a fallacy?  Ok: prove it.

The fact we cannot be certain about everything does not justification for rejecting inductive claims.

flatlanderdox wrote:
You most certainly do need to justify your conclusion that our senses are reliable if you’re going to make foundationalist assertions of “absolute certainty.”

No, because you have ABSOLUTELY NOT REASON WHATSOEVER to doubt our senses, thus your complaint is irrelevant. To try to rationalise this by saying that we cannot be certain of our senses is an augment from uncertainty - a fallacy!

flatlanderdox wrote:
Resonance.  Explanatory power.

I asked how you can test whether something is true not using empirical methods. This does not provide a means of testing whether something is true.

flatlanderdox wrote:
Oh, so you are suggesting that we believe everything unless we have reason to doubt that it is true?

No, I'm saying the fact that empiricism works, and the fact that you have zero reason for doubting it, means your complaint is moot. So I'm saying if you must question something, you must have justification for doing so!

flatlanderdox wrote:
How do you test the validity of empirical data?  You can’t.  You have to presuppose that it is true, and then work from that presupposition

Sorry this is pure bullshit!

We use the scientific method.

flatlanderdox wrote:
It is not a process that is absolutely certain.  Nor does it need to be absolutely certain in order to be helpful. 

I never said it did.

You're the one saying that it must be certain: "...you cannot be absolutely certain of your senses, you cannot be absolutely certain about those “facts,” can you?"

flatlanderdox wrote:
Again, it is the “test” of resonance and explanatory power, or “best explanation.”  It is not an empirical test.  It is a “test” in the sense of asking whether or not this proposition up against certain criteria.

This does not test whether something is true. These 'tests' do not do this. To tests whether something is true you must compare it to the physical world... you must turn to empiricism.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
flatlanderdox wrote:I point

flatlanderdox wrote:
I point to a rather glaring between your "uncertain" premise and your  "certain" conclusion, and you call it a fallacy?  Ok: prove it.

This is so backwards that I'm confused now. How would it be possible for Topher to "prove" that any arbitrary and creatively fictional brain-in-a-vat or magic explanation is equally unlikely? He's already stated in simple English that there's no reason to believe any of those scenarios. Since an infinite number of them are available, there is precisely zero reason to believe that one of them is true. That's some simple math, to be frank. Recall anything divided by infinity.

flatlanderdox wrote:
Topher wrote:
How can it be tested then? If not objectively and empirically, how is it being tested?

Resonance.  Explanatory power.  (What I go into briefly in that response to you, and then also in later responses to others.  See also below.)

"Resonance"? By that do you mean the obviously fallible intuition of the explainer?

flatlanderdox wrote:
Oh, so you are suggesting that we believe everything unless we have reason to doubt that it is true?

So close, and yet so far. What shows you that your senses are unreliable in the case at hand? What reason do you have to believe that empiricism is not, in fact, the most successful epistemology available?

flatlanderdox wrote:
Topher wrote:
  b) if you cannot test it then it is useless.  

How do you test the validity of empirical data?  You can’t.  You have to presuppose that it is true, and then work from that presupposition.  It is not a process that is absolutely certain.  Nor does it need to be absolutely certain in order to be helpful.

While true that it does not have to be absolutely certain in order to be helpful, the validity of empirical data is easily demonstrated by applied technology, where the scientific method is concerned. I don't mean a stereo system or a blackberry, I mean things like the consistent use of the expanding power of steam, or using electrical induction in a wide variety of applications without the behaviour of the mechanism changing one bit. The number of times these things are observed lend credence to their truth, and their fact.

flatlanderdox wrote:
Again, it is the “test” of resonance and explanatory power, or “best explanation.”  It is not an empirical test.  It is a “test” in the sense of asking whether or not this proposition up against certain criteria.  Some proposed criteria for best explanation:

I'm not even sure what you're talking about anymore. Honestly, now. Facts are certain. You can take your miniscule margin of error, but saying "near-as-we-could-possibly-get-to-absolute-certainty" becomes unreasonable. Facts are simply certain. The EXPLANATIONS for them may lack in some respect, that's true, but the facts themselves are absolutely certain in the sense that a reasonable doubt has been removed.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

flatlanderdox
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Topher wrote: You're the

Topher wrote:

You're the one saying that it must be certain: "...you cannot be absolutely certain of your senses, you cannot be absolutely certain about those “facts,” can you?"

Topher, let’s just get this straight first of all….

You are the one who claimed that “facts” (e.g. “the color of grass is green&rdquoEye-wink are things that are known with “absolute certainty”.  I have NEVER made such a claim of anything being knowable with absolute certainty, nor have I stated that it is necessary to know anything with absolute certainty.  You are the one taking that position of absolute certainty. 

When I first began attacking that claim of absolute certainty, one of your fellow atheist friends (HisWillness, I think) tried to come to your defense and say that absolute certainty is not what you are talking about… but indeed it is.  I think he and I agree on this.  I even agree with his latest post about it being “practically” certain.  But I think precision in our terminology is important, especially when it comes to absolute certainty.  All I’m asking is that you not use that term “absolute.”  Using that term ignores some of the most important developments in epistemology from the past 60 years.

Moving along…

I do not disagree that the empirical method is a reliable and extremely helpful tool for knowing and understanding reality.  The reason I harp on its limitations is because it is, for many atheists I’ve discovered, assumed to be the ONLY reliable and helpful tool for knowing and understanding reality, or indeed the tool that trumps all other competing ways of knowing and understanding reality.

The question that was naïvely ignored by modernity (and many atheists…and Christians, too, for that matter) is: “But how do we know the empirical process itself?”  You see, I would say (following many respected epistemologists) that all knowledge comes through the use of certain tools or channels or methods.  The empirical process is one channel for knowing reality.  But what is the channel or process through which we come to know the empirical process?   What lies tacitly beneath your statement “There is no reason for doubting my senses”?

This is simplified and imperfect, but I think it looks something like this:

(a) data is transmitted to your senses

(b) your senses transmit data to your brain

(c) You make some fallible assumptions into which you must take a “leap” of uncertainty: 

(C1) That the data transmitted to my senses is accurate

(C2) That my senses work properly in transmitting that data to my brain? 

(C3) That my intellect capable of properly interpreting this data? 

(d) You test out the reliability of those assumptions in step (c).

(e) You discover that those assumptions seem to be reliable and resonate well with the big picture of life.

Again this is oversimplified, but it is somewhat helpful for our conversation.  The reality is that the process of knowing is both top-bottom as well as bottom-top.  There is a kind of synergism involved here.   Only through this synergistic process can you say “There is no reason for doubting my senses.”

So to say “I believe because there is no reason not to believe” is to assume that the default position of the human knower is to believe that which is presented to him (again, an oversimplified statement).  I would agree.  This is true not only of our senses, but also the testimony of others, and—I would say—even our intuition.  (There are probably more things we could throw into that “default” as well.) 

We assent to things until some kind of cognitive dissonance is introduced into the picture to make us question the validity of that thing.  As such, we believe p because p “resonates” with everything else we understand concerning reality.  When we are presented with a choice between p and q, we decide between them based on which option resonates best with our experience of reality.

I understand that this process is very similar to what Thomas Kuhn describes in Structures of Scientific Revolutions.  McGrath points to Jean Piaget’s model of “equilibration” as another example of this.  Here is an excerpt from McGrath’s book The Open Secret, the chapter on “The Psychology of Perception”:

McGrath wrote:

The account of perception that we have given thus far is of a dialectic process in which sensory input is made sense of in terms of pre-existing perceptual schemas, which have themselves developed as part of the process of acting on sensory input. The perceiver both acts on the world and is acted upon by the world. Processing is both top-down and bottom-up. The perceiver organizes data, but the organizational system employed is itself influenced by the type of data it is required to handle, and has some invariant features or predispositions built into it, presumably as the outcome of natural selection.

The two sides of this process have been referred to as “assimilation of” and “accommodation to” the world by Piaget.   For Piaget, there exists a process of “reflecting abstraction” through which human beings interact with their environment. Human beings are not born with such structures, nor do they absorb them passively from their environment: they construct them through a process of interaction (which Piaget terms  “equilibration&rdquoEye-wink, in which equilibrium is achieved between assimilation and accommodation. Assimilation may be defined as the “act of incorporating objects or aspects of objects into learned activities,” where accommodation is “the modification of an activity or ability in the face of environmental demands.”  Generally these two processes balance each other, but accommodation to the world begins to dominate when the perceiver encounters phenomena that do not readily fit into existing schemas. This sort of situation involves cognitive challenge and possibly stress, but the outcome may often be a reorganization or development of schemas so that they are more differentiated, complex, and in keeping with the sensory phenomena.  Thus there is a cycle of assimilation–challenge–accommodation–assimilation–challenge–accommodation under-pinning the process of perception and its development.

So anyway, this is essentially the process through which the empirical method is appropriated and affirmed as a reliable epistemological tool.  The ideas of “resonance” and “equilibrium” are essentially the same, I think.   

This is all I can give you right now.  I have to run.  Thanks again for the discussion. 

**Edited for typographical errors

Ockham's Razor is only as sharp as you are.

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
flatlanderdox wrote:You are

flatlanderdox wrote:
You are the one who claimed that “facts” (e.g. “the color of grass is green&rdquoEye-wink are things that are known with “absolute certainty”.  I have NEVER made such a claim of anything being knowable with absolute certainty, nor have I stated that it is necessary to know anything with absolute certainty.  You are the one taking that position of absolute certainty. 

I only claimed certainty regarding FACTS, nothing more! Facts are certain, unless you can present evidence that facts and our senses are untrustworthy. Your only argument for this was the fallacy from inductive uncertainty when you said that we could not be absolute certain about our senses. This is a red herring. That fact our senses are not absolutely certain does not mean they are not untrustworthy.

flatlanderdox wrote:
When I first began attacking that claim of absolute certainty, one of your fellow atheist friends (HisWillness, I think) tried to come to your defense and say that absolute certainty is not what you are talking about… but indeed it is.

Only with FACTS, which HisWilliness acknowledged. You however tried to twist what I said and claim I was talking about certainty for thing other than facts. I was NOT saying anything other than facts (such as theories or our senses) were certain.

flatlanderdox wrote:
I even agree with his latest post about it being “practically” certain.

I said this originally.

flatlanderdox wrote:
The reason I harp on its limitations is because it is, for many atheists I’ve discovered, assumed to be the ONLY reliable and helpful tool for knowing and understanding reality, or indeed the tool that trumps all other competing ways of knowing and understanding reality.

Unless you can present a method that is as good as, if not better than empiricism, at verifying claims, then your complain is a red herring. So far you've failed to to this. What you presented was not only not on par with empiricism, it could not even be used to verify the truth of claims.

flatlanderdox wrote:
“But how do we know the empirical process itself?”

This is already been explained to you! We know via the scientific method. The scientific method limits/removes bias, is the most objective method we have, and it is continuously successful.

flatlanderdox wrote:
The empirical process is one channel for knowing reality.

And you've presented no alternatives.

Let me remind you of your claim: [empiricism is] "assumed to be the ONLY reliable and helpful tool for knowing and understanding reality, or indeed the tool that trumps all other competing ways of knowing and understanding reality."

This implies that there are other reliable methods that are on a par with empiricism, and that empiricism trumping these supposed other methods is unjustified. 

flatlanderdox wrote:
But what is the channel or process through which we come to know the empirical process?

What does this even mean? What are you actually asking? Are you asking how we can know it works?

flatlanderdox wrote:
What lies tacitly beneath your statement “There is no reason for doubting my senses”?

My statement is valid until you can actually present reason for our senses being untrustworthy. And let me remind you can uncertainty is not a justification.

flatlanderdox wrote:
(c) You make some fallible assumptions into which you must take a “leap” of uncertainty: 

(C1) That the data transmitted to my senses is accurate

(C2) That my senses work properly in transmitting that data to my brain? 

(C3) That my intellect capable of properly interpreting this data?

You've STILL not presenting reasons for why our senses are untrustworthy. You're only making naked assertions!!

I however can make an argument for the reliability of our sense: our senses are repeatably and independently confirmed via the scientific method to such a degree that there is not reason to doubt them.

I would agree that the senses of individual people, on their own, are not totally reliable in so far as people can be mistaken, deluded, bias, see patterns where none exist, etc, however this would largely be a red herring, as we can use the scientific method to remove any impediments.

flatlanderdox wrote:
(c) You test out the reliability of those assumptions in step (c).

No, we test them with the scientific method, which as I said above eliminates any problems that could distort the results. 

flatlanderdox wrote:
So to say “I believe because there is no reason not to believe” is to assume that the default position of the human knower is to believe that which is presented to him (again, an oversimplified statement).  I would agree.

No, I do not say this! This is a straw man. The default position is to withhold belief unless we have evidence/reason to accept. We are to assume it is wrong until we have reason to believe otherwise. With our sense and the scientific method, we DO have evidence of reliability, we thus are justified in holding them as trustworthy. Furthermore, we do NOT have any reason to doubt them, which further supports their position (but is not the basis for their acceptance).

It seems like you are implying that the default position it to accept, which is a ridiculous position to take!

flatlanderdox wrote:
We assent to things until some kind of cognitive dissonance is introduced into the picture to make us question the validity of that thing.

You have it backwards. And this would lead to contradictions.

flatlanderdox
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 (I actually wrote this

(I actually wrote this last night, and tried to post it.  I thought it posted, but apparently it didn’t.  So here ya go!)

Topher, I know this is really long, but I encourage you to read it all the way through first, then respond.  Some of it is repetition and restatement that might become more clear as you continue to read. 

Topher wrote:
    I only claimed certainty regarding FACTS, nothing more! Facts are certain, unless you can present evidence that facts and our senses are untrustworthy. Your only argument for this was the fallacy from inductive uncertainty when you said that we could not be absolute certain about our senses. This is a red herring. That fact our senses are not absolutely certain does not mean they are not untrustworthy.  

I never said that our senses are “untrustworthy” because we cannot be absolutely certain about them, did I?  My only contention was that you cannot be absolutely certain about them, not that they are untrustworthy.  Those are two completely different things.  “Trustworthiness” does not necessarily entail “absolute certainty.”

This is a trustworthy, but not “absolutely certain” statement: “When I turn the key in my car’s ignition, its engine will start.”  It’s trustworthy because that is what usually happens, and I do not have reason to doubt it will happen.  It is not “absolutely certain” because something could have happened to my car without my knowing that will cause it not to start (e.g. someone siphoned the gas from my tank, etc.).

I would agree that (per your definition) “facts” are trustworthy.  I do not agree that “facts” are “absolutely certain.”  There is absolutely no fallacy in that recognition whatsoever, so far as I can see.  If you think there is, then please justify that statement rather than stamping it with a so-called fallacy.  Explain why it is a fallacy.  Show me the error in this argument: 

1. That the sky is blue is a “fact” (per your definition).
  2. We know the sky is blue because our senses tell us so.
  3. We cannot be absolutely, 100% certain that our senses give us accurate information about reality
  4. Therefore we cannot be absolutely certain about “facts”

Note, again, that this says nothing about “trustworthiness” of the senses.  It is merely the recognition of a threshold limiter to our certainty that cannot be surpassed into “absolute certainty.”  The lack of recognition of this epistemic boundary is one of the weaknesses of Enlightenment rationalism pointed to by theistic and non-theistic philosophers alike.

Topher wrote:
    This is already been explained to you! We know [that the scientific method is reliable] via the scientific method.  

Topher…no.   All you have done is demonstrate circular reasoning.  To justify the validity of the scientific method with the scientific method itself is circular.  That should be obvious to you.  It is like me saying “I know that the Bible is true because it says it is true.”  That is circular too.  My point is that, to a certain degree, circularity is a necessary aspect of the epistemological process.  This has been demonstrated by Jean Piaget, as well as Michael Polanyi (both of whom were both very scientific epistemologists who include a significant amount of scientific research in their arguments, and neither of which had a theistic agenda to their work) and many others. 

Topher wrote:
   The scientific method limits/removes bias, is the most objective method we have, and it is continuously successful   

It is very helpful in the search for objectivity, but it does not limit/remove the bias of its own assumed truth-bearing nature; it is not (indeed cannot be, I don’t think) objective with relation to itself.   The only reason you can say it is “continuously successful” is because you once assumed it to be reliable, and it has not proven otherwise.  It is “continuously successful”, but only “from the inside” of presupposing that it is true. 

Topher wrote:
   And you've presented no alternatives.   

Yes I have.  Testimony, for example.  I even provided you links to some excellent writing on the epistemology of Testimony.  Intuition is another factor worth seriously considering, rather than dismissing categorically without good reason.  As I understand, epistemologists such as Alan Goldman have defended intuition (with qualification) through Reliabilism.  There are other factors in the process of knowing too, such as prioritization and the fact that a person has to feel like something is worth knowing before they seek knowledge of it.  “Resonance” and equilibrium also play into this process.  And that’s the tip of the iceberg.  McGrath gives an excellent assessment of the psychology aspects of this process in his chapter on the “Psychology of Perception” (the chapter is actually written by Joanna Collicutt, who is a lecturer in psychology). 

Topher wrote:
   What does this even mean? What are you actually asking? Are you asking how we can know it works?   

Topher, I really do apologize if I’ve been unclear to in what I’m asking.  I don’t mean this to sound belittling, but it may just be a difficult approach to understand.  I have tried to restate things and give different examples.  I will keep trying, unless it appears that we are at a stalemate. Maybe it would be better for us to talk in a chatroom?  Or even on the phone?  That might be a better way to hedge off misunderstandings.

Until then, seriously consider the Matrix movie.  Try to put yourself in the position of Neo.  It is a hypothetical situation in which the very signals being sent to our brains, giving us data about reality, is called into question.  This data typically goes without being questioned at all because, as you point out, we don’t have a reason to doubt it. 

Think of the expression “the squeaky wheel gets the oil.”  When we drive our car, we are not really consciously aware of all the mechanisms that work together to put us into motion, until something goes wrong.  When something does go wrong, we pop open the hood and try to see what is the matter, and notice our oil is low, or radiator  fluid is leaking, or whatever.  When things work well all the time, we can easily take things for granted as being much simpler than they really are.  When things go wrong, it forces us to think about these things we take for granted. 

The Matrix/BIV analogies are really just a helpful way of causing us to stop and think about the epistemic complexities that we take for granted.  If someone we had known for a long time, who we really respected, who had always proven to be a reliable source of information were to tell us in all seriousness that our experiences of reality were really just fabrications of computers being transmitted to us via electronic signals to our brains, we would be forced to reckon with (among other things, such as the epistemic nature of testimony) why we should or should not trust our senses.  We couldn’t use science to prove that our friend was mistaken, because science itself would be called into question; science itself would be part of the illusion. 

In the process of seeking objective truth, it should be our goal to bring our attention to the tacit epistemological processes that usually do not get our attention.  It should not necessarily take a “squeaky wheel” to get us to think critically about it.  We should be seeking it anyway.  No we don’t have a reason NOT to believe our senses, but that should not keep us from trying to explore the process behind why we DO believe it. 

Objectivity is explicitly concerned with thinking critically about our presuppositions.  If “our senses tell us the truth” is a presupposition (which it is), then we should be critically examining it.  That is exactly what postmodern epistemologists (and philosophers after them) have done.  That has been what I understand Alister McGrath has been concerned with in his three-volume Scientific Theology: looking closely and thinking critically about the methodology behind science and theology that has often gone unexamined. 

That methodology consists (at least in part) of what I outlined in my last post.  But there are many places in which people explain it far better than me (such as McGrath’s chapter on psychology of perception).

Topher wrote:
   You've STILL not presenting reasons for why our senses are untrustworthy. You're only making naked assertions!!   

I’m not saying they are untrustworthy.  Nor do we need such "reasons" in order to have permission to think critically about it (as I explain above).  Consider the fact that you are making the “naked assertion” that we should let our belief in our senses remain without question unless we have good reason to doubt them.

Topher wrote:
    I however can make an argument for the reliability of our sense: our senses are repeatably and independently confirmed via the scientific method to such a degree that there is not reason to doubt them.  

Again, in the Matrix scenario, your argument would be irrelevant, because the scientific method would be irrelevant as “proof” (though not irrelevant as “resonance” ).  All those scientific “confirmations” would be fabrications of the machine to which you’re hooked up.  Yes, it would be “reliable”, but that reliability would only be “from within” the Matrix.  It would be “reliable” in that it is intrinsically/internally consistent and thus “resonant.”

The reason I don’t believe I’m in a Matrix is not because of the scientific method per se, but ultimately because that belief would not be useful in anyway to help me live my life.   If I do not see proof, or other good reasons to believe in the Matrix, then the proposition of the Matrix does not disturb my “equilibrium” enough to force me to adjust the paradigm of my worldview.  The best “resonance” is achieved, then, through NOT believing in the Matrix, believing instead in the truth-bearing nature of the signals sent to my brain.  I maintain that paradigm (“I can trust my senses” ) until equilibrium is disturbed, or an alternative with greater equilibrium and resonance is found.

Topher wrote:
    Unless you can present a method that is as good as, if not better than empiricism, at verifying claims, then your complain is a red herring. So far you've failed to to this. What you presented was not only not on par with empiricism, it could not even be used to verify the truth of claims.  

I beg to differ.  Not only is it “on par” with empiricism, it is what empiricism itself demands and employs.  The “method” of which I’m speaking is the very method we use in order to affirm empiricism.  I recommend you re-read what I’ve said about “best explanation”, “resonance”, etc., as well as the process of “equilibration”.  Better yet, go read some of the articles I posted, or buy or check out from the library McGrath’s book The Open Secret, or look into his Scientific Theology series.

Topher wrote:
    The default position is to withhold belief unless we have evidence/reason to accept. We are to assume it is wrong until we have reason to believe otherwise. With our sense and the scientific method, we DO have evidence of reliability, we thus are justified in holding them as trustworthy.  

Ok, now think about this.  You now say the default position is to withhold belief. If that is the case, then you should be applying that to the scientific method itself.  The process would look something like this:

Step One: Withhold belief that the scientific method is true 

Step Two:  Find evidence that the scientific method is true. 

Step Three: Believe that the scientific method is true.

Again, the problem with this is that you are applying the scientific method itself as “evidence” for Step two.  This is circular reasoning. 

Take the same approach to the Matrix/BIV scenario:

Step 1: Withhold belief that the signals being sent to your brain accurately reflect reality.

Step 2:  Find evidence that the signals being sent to your brain accurately reflect reality.

Step 3: Believe that the signals being sent to your brain accurately reflect reality.

Here too you are applying the scientific method to step 2.  The problem is that the scientific method rests upon these signals (you get data from the scientific method via these brain signals).  If you are “withholding belief” from these brain signals, then you would also, necessarily, be withholding belief from the scientific method.  If you are withholding belief from the scientific method, then you cannot use it in step 2 in order to get to step 3 without your reasoning becoming circular.

Your approach is (unbelief-evidence-belief).  But as I’ve pointed out, this process is viscously circular.  But as I think about it (at 4:21am!!!), it seems that the converse (belief-evidence-unbelief) actually avoids that circularity (at least the “visciousness” of it).  You see, your approach explicitly demands non-circularity, but tacitly employs it, and is thus self-contradictory.  The converse approach does not demand non-circularity, but acknowledges the necessity of a degree of circularity (at least in the “leap” that is necessary to step into the proposition and test its resonance), and unabashedly employs it.  You don’t necessarily have to find absolute proof in order to believe it.  You find the evidence to believe it (at least partly) from the inside of that belief—the evidence being that it is a reliable process. No, that reliability is not “proof” (for example) that signals sent to the brain are true to reality.  But the more you find yourself in equilibrium from within that position, the more you see it as reliable, and the less it really matters that you find that “proof.”  The proof then only matters when dissonance (i.e. evidence against it) is introduced. 

But that (above), again, is an over-simplification.  The reality is that the process is quite complex and synergistic.  Your approach (doubt-evidence-belief) might be called a “bottom-top” approach.  The converse (belief-evidence-doubt) might be called a “top-bottom” approach.  I think that the process of knowing is synergistic, incorporating both “bottom-top” and “top-bottom,” somehow.  We process data (or evidence) using pre-existing schemas; and yet those schemas are also shaped by data.  Which comes first: the chicken or the egg?  It is difficult to say.  Perhaps it is best to think in terms of synergistic process than an absolute starting point?  I don’t know.

Sorry this is so long (and took me so long).  I’m really trying hard to communicate clearly, but at the same time, this is a process of discovery for me even while I’m writing.  I’m certainly not a pro at this (in case you couldn’t tell—ha!). Thanks for your patience!  Have a good day!

flatlanderdox
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The following is an excerpt

The following is an excerpt from the biography Einstein: His Life and Universe.

One day during the 1930s, Einstein invited Saint-John Perse to Princeton to find out how the poet worked. "How does the idea of a poem come?" Einstein asked. The poet spoke of the role played by intuition and imagination. "It's the same for a man of science," Einstein responded with delight. "It is a sudden illumination, almost a rapture. Later, to be sure, intelligence analyzes and experiments confirm or invalidate the intuition. But initially there is a great forward leap of the imagination."  (emphasis mine)

flatlanderdox
Theist
User is offlineOffline
crickets...

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Regardless of whether or not

Regardless of whether or not flatlanderox's brain-in-a-jar-ism has anything to do with anything, all physical situations could be described via a huge list of qualifiers and thus be said objectively whether or not there is some truth. Even if some of those qualifiers are "random," and even given social networks - which are still physical systems - everything that is real can be evaluated on a purely physical level. Observing an un-evaluate-able situation would invalidate its existence since it would be evaluated as having been observed. Thus, truth is always discovered and never constructed, for a similar reason to that causing strong free will to be contradictory.

Example: The actions caused by Bob's neural network cause the neurons in Alice to perform an action we would call crying based on their functions of what to do next. Even if either one or both are simply brains in jars, if this happened it would be an objective truth for the situation. That the situation involves sentient beings is pure accident.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think it's a combination

I think it's a combination of both.  Phenomena are discovered, but through interpretation truths are constructed.  As far as I know, this is unavoidable. 

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Inspectormustard wrote:Thus,

Inspectormustard wrote:
Thus, truth is always discovered and never constructed, for a similar reason to that causing strong free will to be contradictory.

I assume from your use of the term "strong free will" that you also have a term "weak free will."  Would you define both for me?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Inspectormustard wrote:
Thus, truth is always discovered and never constructed, for a similar reason to that causing strong free will to be contradictory.

I assume from your use of the term "strong free will" that you also have a term "weak free will."  Would you define both for me?

Strong free will meaning that it would be possible, given a complete knowledge of prior events, to make non-random unpredictable choices. Weak free will meaning we are able to choose between different things based on values developed by our upbringing and biological construction.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok.   Thanks for the

Ok.   Thanks for the clarification.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
The Tao ... we can not know

The Tao ... we can not know the eternal .... the "facts" for us god human particles is to be only true, from our time place in the timeless ageless eternity. We are what we are in this corner of the unobservable magnitute of the ONE. So no more religion. RRS rocks ....